homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AH, but you're such a sweet and patient host with such a lovely blue complexion .. you know you love us really! (Where's the fluttering eyelashes smilie when you need one?) [Axe murder]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
shame there aren't any "suck-up" points being awarded.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon now, Smudgie's not sucking up; she really IS that nice!

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is ... unless I've been deceived? [Ultra confused]
Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
C'mon now, Smudgie's not sucking up; she really IS that nice!

And that's why she is still single. [Big Grin]

Now if we cross the jeans of Auntie Doris and Smudgie we might get somewhere. [Razz]

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Now if we cross the jeans of Auntie Doris and Smudgie we might get somewhere. [Razz]

Well my jeans come from Marks and Spencers. What about your Smudge?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl Marx. Whose life illustrates perfectly the global impact of incidental effects - like carbunkles.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George Fox, for his founding role in the Religious Society of Friends, and for his saying "walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone."

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isaac Newton for his work on fruit picking.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

That's my first audible laugh of the new quiz.

I hope there will be many more.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And that's why she is still single. [Big Grin]

And I thought it was simply that, with quizmaster and papa smurf both spoken for, there was nobody else worth having! [Angel]

quote:
My jeans are from Matelan - I can't afford M&S prices, well not until I win the grand prize in the Knockout Quiz. But perhaps if Auntie Doris were to participate in the quiz, she could contribute Levi Strauss, inventor of jeans cos then we might indeed get somewhere.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, subtlety isn't the keyword for this quiz?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No no no, subtlety is not the keyword. When you say the keyword there will be whistles and balloons dropping and confetti thrown. Or is that another quiz?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C. S. Lewis , where would I be living without him?
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Subtlety is the key of this quiz... Really.

<Thinks>Was that too subtle??</thinks>

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
&aelig; = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe, maybe not.
(* humming with subtle happiness *)
Dah di dah, dot dot dah di dah.

--------------------
Truth

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
C. S. Lewis , where would I be living without him?

I didn't know you were living with him.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Entries so far:-

1 Quizmaster
2 Tom Day
3 Mousethief
4 Doublethink
5 LMC
6 rugasaw
7 Gwai
8 cometchaser
9 Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow
10 chicklegirl
11 professor kirke
12 Golden Key
13 Smudgie
14 Ann
15 Birdseye
16 Rugmaker
17 Chorister
18 Marvin the Martian
19 sharkshooter
20 tclune
21 Chelley
22 icklejen
23 ACOL-ite
24 Nutmeg
25 Sinisterial
26 Barnabas62
27 Autenrieth Road
28 The Rogue
29 Lady A

I am very disappointed in Papa Smurf and Auntie Doris and I think we should all encourage them to play.

Did I miss anybody?

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You didn't miss me. How long are you going to keep picking people up for? Do you get a new round soon?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am very disappointed in Papa Smurf

what, for telling you before the game even started that I wouldn't be playing so that we had a disinterested* Host in case of Emergency ?

*(using its original meaning)

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I have the utmost admiration for our wonderful and untiring, not to mention extremely patient host who will so impartially read every single post and check every single link on this thread while forebearing to participate, even though he would be bound to win if he did.

Bravo, Papa Smurf [Overused]

(Are you sure you have no influence with Quizmaster in the allocation of "sucking up" points?)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, we're not using the Mad Tours board this time. Time to follow the clues from there.

--------------------
Ann

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I can't find any clues on this Mad Tours board, but maybe they are even more subtle than the subtle clue provided already...

[ 14. September 2006, 20:05: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Ann

Curious
# 94

Look for a sign.

--------------------
Ann

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Thanks. The first sign to investigate turned out to be the login my eye. Incidentally, and not entirely apropros of nothing, did you know that in Morse Code, E is one dot . and I is two dots ..? You never know what might come in handy for a Knockout Quiz.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am indebted to Ann for her subtlety, in all mediums .

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it too late for me to enter?

Al Seckel for his contribution to iconography.

(Let's hope the UBB works - the preview looked OK)

Dave
8o)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I had a sudden urge to post on this thread.
I am not sure why, obviously the reason is too subtle for me.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i asked davelarge (husband)to be my teammate but now he's going head-to-head with me. perhaps it's coz i never let him decide anything for our fantasy football team!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am very disappointed in Papa Smurf and Auntie Doris and I think we should all encourage them to play.

But I thought I was the referee.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh come on Papa Smurf and Auntie Doris, it's not like your out at the moment saving the world or something.

Or are you?

Quick, into the berth, and out comes...Mad Auntie Doris and her sidekick Bluesmurf the Pirate King. Off they jump into the boat pulled by Dolphy and zip off into the next adventure.

Actually, I wouldn't mind being roomies with Jack, though I'm not sure I'd even be close to his level, even on a ladder, with 5 inch heels.

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

In record time the first marks appear. This has never before happened before the first round proper. Who will be happy? Who will be sad?

For newbies:
P is Page Number
O is Originality
S is Smart Points (blue riband)
H is Helpfulness

P O S H

1 0 2 0 Doublethink :- For setting the standard expected in such a prestigious quiz
1 1 0 0 LMC :- For posting the link to that picture for Auntie Doris
1 1 0 0 rugasaw :- How far was he from western India, and was he a Goa?
1 1 0 0 cometchaser :- An excellent debut from the pursuer of asteroids
1 1 0 -1 Yellow Snow :- Nice choice but maybe it is better not to remind certain people
1 1 0 0 chicklegirl :- Another fine debut from a beginner
1 1 1 1 Smudgie :- She knows me too well and is far too bright for her own good
1 1 0 0 Rugmaker :- Another top quality entry
1 0 0 2 Chorister :- For posting a link to encourage more entries
1 1 0 0 Marvin the Martian :- An excellent choice Sir
1 0 0 1 cometchaser :- On the recommendation of Gwai
1 1 0 0 icklejen :- I like it, I really do like it
1 0 -2 -2 Tom Day :- I like neither chocolates nor Exeter City nor indeed bribery
1 1 -2 0 Marvin the Martian :- Self publicity is not a good thing in this game
1 0 1 1 chicklegirl :- You seem to be learning the system very fast indeed
1 0 -1 0 quizmaster :- Yellow Snow and Nutmeg let me in on the secret
1 0 -1 0 Auntie Doris :- For posting in a thread that she does not want to post in
1 0 2 0 Auntie Doris :- O.K. You got me there. It IS all about winning
1 0 0 2 Nutmeg :- An excellent plea to someone who could make an impact
1 0 -1 0 Auntie Doris :- Your signature suggests quite the opposite
1 0 2 0 icklejen :- For getting her priorities right
1 0 1 -1 Quizmaster :- That could have been quite upsetting you know
1 1 -1 0 Auntie Doris :- For that nervous tic causing you to stutter
1 1 1 0 Sinisterial :- For reminding me that I said Onanistic so often at university
1 0 -1 0 Quizmaster :- You'll be single again if you keep marking and ignore the wife
1 0 1 0 Sinisterial :- Quite right, and it needed to be said
1 0 0 1 Smudgie :- Another good appeal to Auntie Doris
1 0 -1 -1 Papa Smurf :- Is this the same man that asked me to start the quiz?

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:
You didn't miss me. How long are you going to keep picking people up for? Do you get a new round soon?

I always allow over a week in case some knockout quiz enthusiast has been away on holiday. Last year we had a second preliminary round and that might be a good idea for the weekend.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Does this mean I am winning yet?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

My maths may be a little amiss here, but it seems to me that you're in minus numbers already. Perhaps you should try a little harder [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the first points quizmaster.

Does one add up the three categories of points to give an overall total to find the leader/winner, or are there winners in each category please?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

That's my first audible laugh of the new quiz.

I hope there will be many more.

And no points for The Rogue??? I think he should get originality points at least (does this count as being helpful??)
At least I'm not the only one to get none... but it doesn't bode well... I was quite pleased with my pathetic effort. I seem to have the creative dynamism of a shrimp! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Quizmaster has only "marked" the first page.
The Rogue will surely be rewarded when page 2 gets scored.

[ 15. September 2006, 10:51: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rugmaker:
Thank you for the first points quizmaster.

Does one add up the three categories of points to give an overall total to find the leader/winner, or are there winners in each category please?

Me me, I'll get in before Smudgie. [Biased]

The main competition is to outlast all other competitors. The thread has in the past needed to sink into the abyss of the second page of the circus to get the ball rolling.

Each round sees the demise of at least one competitor once the competition gets off the ground. In the past the competition has started in earnest after a couple of play rounds to get a feel for the chaos.

In addition to the main competition, there have been three categories, each with their own winner and bragging rights.

Smart Alecs.
Helpful Librarians.
Original Thinkers.

Simple [Roll Eyes] you see.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
My maths may be a little amiss here, but it seems to me that you're in minus numbers already. Perhaps you should try a little harder [Biased]

I tried hard not to enter... and somehow I have been entered without knowing it. How much harder do I have to try? [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just by existing you are entered into the tables for scoring. Didn't you read the small print when you were born?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

I tried hard not to enter... and somehow I have been entered without knowing it. How much harder do I have to try? [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

The key is in not trying. Thus, you need to not try to not try to not be entered, is that not right?

Thought not.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh! Oh! Am I too late?

Goethe, for writing a bookthat inspired thousands of men to wear yellow waistcoats. (And, er, kill themselves.)

Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Linguo:
Oh! Oh! Am I too late?

Goethe, for writing a bookthat inspired thousands of men to wear yellow waistcoats. (And, er, kill themselves.)

You might want to choose another one because according to the Grand Quizmaster my sig was my entry!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Originally posted by Linguo:
Oh! Oh! Am I too late?

You might want to choose another one because according to the Grand Quizmaster my sig was my entry!!

Auntie Doris x

Hah. OK then, Dogtanian , for showing that even domestic animals can be swashbuckling.
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's just picky!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ho hum.
I fear that I could bring to this thread all the skill and mental acrobatics that I possess when attempting cryptic crosswords, and end in a sorry, tangled heap of dunce.
Also I have a whale to build -so really ought to concentrate on that (I've only got the lips yet -so there's a way to go)

I bail -GERONIMO!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

*Grabs hold of Birdseye's ankles in an attempt to save her from going overboard*. Don't go! If I can do it, you surely can. And what's a whale or two between friends? I'm sure Jonah would simply lend you his... and there's bound to be plenty of wailing going on as the game progresses anyway.

Stick around. Leave those whale-lips and get quizzing.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well alrighty then Smudgie -your penguin appeal is irresistible- but my heart is in the whale.

I should probably have chosen 'JONAH' anyway -for being a pioneer submariner.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

[Big Grin]

And don't worry about your heart - the heartless ones often do best in this quiz (which is my excuse for why I've never won [Biased] )

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016