homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst wasting an hour of work time, I have picked Flushed Away starring Hugh Jackman as Roddy.

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it has to be the film of my favourite ever book, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and I nominate Bill Nighy as my champion.

[ 18. October 2006, 08:20: Message edited by: Birdseye ]

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A room with a view with Helena Bonham Carter.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pick X2 and Halle Berry.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also-ranning and trying to make things interesting I pick Oceans 12 .

I assume that a tie-breaker is meaningless for me, so pick Eddie Izzard for the complete shock that he is in this!

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

Phew!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also running (though in my opinion not really entered in the first place)
I choose Mystery Men, and Ben Stiller

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with Alan Rickman

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:

Phew!
Working together is a beautiful thing [Biased] .

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again I expected to be gone but now I have to post so here is my own personal favourite:

The Italian Job

Pure escapism.

I shall nominate MICHAEL CAINE.
Not many people know that.

[Info] He never actually used that phrase. It was used by Peter Sellers when doing an impression of Michael Caine, and in order to get the London vernacular used "No(t) a Lo(tt)a people know tha(t)" as a catchphrase. [/Info]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that Real Life has affected two of our contestants so we must bid farewell to Jedijudy and LMC.

Enjoy your lives as Also Rans. [Cool]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Round Fourteen: Comets

In honour of a special ex-contestant I want you to chase a comet each. You must post a link to a webpage that defines your interstellar object as a Comet (not an Asteroid or a Planet - You may be attacked by other competitors if they can find a different definition).

Once you have named your COMET and posted the link you must specify in your post how long it takes to orbit. The person who picks the comet with the (mean) average period will be eliminated.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, which takes 5.4 years to orbit the Sun.

I will do my best to refrain from making any comments about this round being an homage to a certain celestial body of our acquaintance.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will take the Comet Hyakutake with an orbit of 72,000 years.

And one of my favorite Alaskan artists Rie Munoz has a print of Hyakutake as well!

Special Alaska comet for a special Alaskan shipmate!

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My choice was elementary. I'm going for Holmes which has an orbit of 7.068 years.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
It seems that Real Life has affected two of our contestants so we must bid farewell to Jedijudy and LMC.

Enjoy your lives as Also Rans. [Cool]

That was less than a day (less than 24 hours to be pedantic) between rounds .... not sure that's entirely fair [Roll Eyes] It's tempting to say that you would rather kick people out for not being able to post than actually have to mark the entries ..... [Eek!]

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

And I will jump in the middle with the amusingly named Hale-Bopp which has an orbit of 2537 years. I warn you though, you'll have to be willing to subtract 1997 from 4534 to get Hale-Bopp's revolution time from that link. However, maybe you shouldn't bother because I have found three different estimated times for this bright comet. See here and here for estimates of 4000 and 3000 respectively.
Still, it was a truly beautiful comet so t'would be cruel not to share it with you all.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Encke's Comet has the shortest orbital period (about 3.3 years) of any known, first observed in 1786.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for Hale-Bopp with an orbit of 2,380 years.

[ 18. October 2006, 21:54: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, I'd better pick another one then... Gwai this is getting weird now!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Right then... I'll try comet Kohoutek with an orbit of 75,000 years.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well you could always launch your own personal comet and see how well it does.

Meanwhile, until I've mastered the rules, I'll stick with Comet Tempel-Tuttle which takes 33 years to orbit the sun.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I choose Comet Bennett. First discovered 28 December 1969 and has an orbital period of 1678 years.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As no one has entered Halley's Comet I will now.

It has an orbital period of 75.3 years.

It will next appear in 2061.

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(From the observatory atop the Also Ran luxury box, spelled out in the sky with fireworks.)

Faye's Comet, with a period of 7.34 years.

(Waves at comet.) [Overused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Well you could always launch your own personal comet and see how well it does.

Very cool game. I can't get past level 6.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall choose Comet. Comet rotates around our sun once every 365 days.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

I thought of this but was concerned that the interstellar definition may be bit of a stretch although I would concur that the blowing off steam on an almost continual basis qualifies... [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko
This comet orbits the Sun once every 6.57 years.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Chelley, great minds

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]
awww you guys.

I feel da love in dis room! [Cool]

I'm going for Comet Swan for a couple of reasons. First, my daughter's "Thai name" is Hong - the swan. and secondly, Swan is hanging out in our skies (as I type!) early in the morning and I've given it a lot of lost-sleep-hours already, only to be fouled up by some really stinky weather.

This picture of Swan may go on my desktop.

it's fortunate I'm an also-ran, because Swan is not orbiting anymore - it's been sling-shot by the Sun and *sigh* the Swan will not pass this way again.

Northern Hemis - go out, follow the handle of the big dipper with your binocs, and it's about 10 degrees past the tip of the handle.

I just love you guys!

comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate comet Tempel 1 which NASA played bumper cars with in February. The orbital period is 5.51 Julian years.

Dave
8o)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I choose comet P/2006 HR30 Siding Spring which has an orbit of 22 years. Here is a photo of the shiny soandso taken on my birthday.

(It's the slightly-bigger than all the small dots but not as big as the really big dots dot with the pointy arrows in the middle of all the other dots without pointy arrows)

--------------------
a birdseye view

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My comet resembles the Norwegian Blue in that it is no more. At the time scientists were unable to determine its orbital period but as Shoemaker Levy is now pushing up the daisies on Jupiter its orbit is 11.9 years

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so-o-o disappointed. [Frown] While I was at w*rk, trying to keep a roof over Daughter-Unit's head and provide food for the poor dear, I was changed from a participant to an Also Ran. *sigh* And I was going to post a (surprise) Star Wars movie! [Big Grin]

Oh, well, as I sip my Bahama Mama here in the Luxury Box, while Raoul the massage therapist does his magic on my shoulder muscles, I shall present for your pleasure:
the Great Daylight Comet of 1910 with an orbital period of 4,142,967 years!!!

Do I win?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my Comet.

Since you use it to clean your toilet, I would think it orbits about once every second.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

# 5280

Good grief 'it is a violation of federal LAW to use the product in a manner other than that stated on the labelling'!! Talk about nanny state.
'What are you in for buddy?'
'Murder... You?'
'Improper use of household cleaning products.'

[ 19. October 2006, 13:12: Message edited by: Birdseye ]

--------------------
a birdseye view

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...and there was I, about to drink the toilet cleaning fluid when I noticed that is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Just as well I'm an upstanding and law-abiding citizen really, isn't it?

8o)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curses, Sinistærial, not only have you chosen the comet I would like, but you have also sent me hunting to find out the name of your ligature so I can type your name in HTML.

Aelig. Or maybe ælig? I wonder if there's a Comet Aelig. (* wanders away muttering into the dark in search of a comet table *)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
This is my Comet.

Since you use it to clean your toilet, I would think it orbits about once every second.

Sharkshooter, that reminds me of the little ditty My playmates and I used to sing when I was just wee... [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Autenrieth Road, try this or this.
Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Just in case you were interested.

In our version, we sang "teeth" instead of "mouth".

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My comet is Comet d'Arrest. Its period is 6.53 years.

"No comets have ever approached earth in a hyperbolic orbit." Although rugasaw's and sharkshooter's comet nominations might be taken by some to be hyperbole, I will not attack them, since shipmate comet and toilet bowl cleanser Comet, whatever else they may be, are certainly not Asteroids or Planets.

[ 19. October 2006, 16:11: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

rugasaw,
So does your link really say how often your comet circles the sun? [Biased]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
rugasaw,
So does your link really say how often your comet circles the sun? [Biased]

I would allow that it is common knowledge - at least to the nearest day, but, the rules do say you need evidence of it in your linked page. And QM is a stickler for rules.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Rules were made to be stretched to the limit.

And some of you have done plenty of stretching.

[Overused]

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I don't see that the rules require the linked page to give evidence of the orbit time.

Still, it's as well to be prepared to stretch if required.

--------------------
Truth

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

My link to Comet 178P/Hug-Bell makes it sound awfully like an asteroid. But it says it is a comet.

That gives me an orbital period of 7 years.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

So, if it had just been contestant entries that counted.

Total No. Years = 158,460.

Number of Contestants = 15.

Mean Average = 10,564.

Goodbye HART.

BUT

Revenge of the JEDI:

As Also-Rans Influence this competition .....

Total No. of years = 4,301,435

Number of valid entries = 18

Mean Average = 238,969.

We have to wave goodbye to Chelley.

Good luck in your new found freedom.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

I thought of this but was concerned that the interstellar definition may be bit of a stretch although I would concur that the blowing off steam on an almost continual basis qualifies... [Razz]
Padys has me on this one. Interstellar means between the stars. Earth is between the stars and hince all on the earth is between the stars. So I thought I had it down pat. Then I realized that Comet is a star (in her own mind at least). So my pick of Comet obviously is flawed. Drat.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016