homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having my people send a hamper up to the alsoran suite as we speak. Have I mentioned how much we appreciate your stirling efforts recently?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bah Humbug [Razz]
Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be willing to sign an affidavit saying that I have never left the planet earth's atmosphere, and therefore the 365 day orbital period is a pretty safe bet.

as for my definition as a star versus a comet, I don't think I would consider myself
quote:
a mass of gas held together by its own gravity
[Disappointed]
but I'm pretty good with being a comet. for reasons including:
quote:
Astronomers consider comets to be worthy of detailed study for several reasons: (1) They are intrinsically interesting
quote:
While the data obtained from these comets are invaluable, comets are believed to be highly individualistic.
quote:
They were long regarded with awe and even terror and were often taken as omens of unfavorable events.
though this one could make me hesitate:
quote:
As seen from Earth, comets are nebulous in appearance, and the tail is usually the most visually striking feature. This tail can in some cases stretch along a substantial arc in the sky
I hardly think that is fair. [Biased]

(eta: come on up and have a chocolate, Chelley!)

[ 19. October 2006, 21:12: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Round Fifteen: World Series Baseball

BY POPULAR DEMAND (and by Cometchaser!)

The first two matches of the World Series take place this weekend so the task is simple. You might like to get in early if you are confident or wait and see if you have absolutely no idea what baseball is about.

You must predict the score of the first two games and you will be marked according to how close you are to the result. You must also specify a list of Nine Innings Scores (to act as tiebreaker) and that list will be applied to whichever game proves closest to your prediction.

EXAMPLE:

SATURDAY - New York Yankees 66 Boston Redsox 22
SUNDAY - New York Yankees 0 Boston Redsox 22

Yankees - 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
Redsox - 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Your Innings need not match either of your scores.

YOU MAY CHOOSE THE SAME SCORES AS OTHER COMPETITORS BUT THE INNINGS MUST BE DIFFERENT IF YOUR SCORES ARE THE SAME.

Predictions must be posted by 12:00 noon British Time on Saturday.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

(eta: come on up and have a chocolate, Chelley!)

Thanks comet!

[ 19. October 2006, 21:29: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
You might like to get in early if you are confident or wait and see if you have absolutely no idea what baseball is about.

Given that the NL pennant hasn't been decided yet, anyone picking now would have to be *very* confident!

Go Cardinals!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OHHHHHHHHHH! I can't wait, I can't wait, this is so fun! Get me some peanuts and crackerjack and if you're not as much of a fan as some of us, you can learn more here, here, here, and here.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
or wait and see if you have absolutely no idea what baseball is about.

Some people might know right away they have absolutely no idea what baseball is about, without having to wait and see.

We established somewhere else -- oh, I know, the Café -- that baseball is like Rounders. So now you UK folk have no excuse for not knowing what it's about. Hint: scores of 66-22 as hypothicated in Quizmaster's post are Not Common.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
unfortunately, the Yankees will not be in the lineup this year.

(we wuz robbed! [Waterworks] )

but neither will the Red Sox. which makes it a little bit better.

your teams are the Detroit Tigers versus either the NY Mets or the St. Louis Cardinals, depending on who wins tonight's game.

here's a great place to start.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

cross posted with all the other baseball fans.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
You might like to get in early if you are confident or wait and see if you have absolutely no idea what baseball is about.

Given that the NL pennant hasn't been decided yet, anyone picking now would have to be *very* confident!
Would they though? Since it's just the score being predicted, and not who's scoring what? Although, I guess if the score is allowed to be interpreted either way, that would be too much choice for Quizzie to (ahem) score. Still, you could specify by AL/NL for the two sides if you wanted to choose early. And as for the sizes of the scores, AFAIC that's a complete crap-shoot, so feh on scientific evaluation of the Cards-or-Mets vs. the Tigers.

quote:
Go Cardinals!
I'm from New York so I feel like I ought to root for the Mets. But their uniforms are so very very boring! Cardinals are much prettier. Go Cardinals! Go Mets! Go Cardinals!

Naaah, once it's not the Yankees, who cares [Razz] ? Although in truth I usually root for the underdog, whoever that is.

[ 19. October 2006, 21:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

While we're waiting for the fun to begin, how about a little light reading. Such as, why the infield fly rule is the way it is.

--------------------
Truth

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I'm from New York so I feel like I ought to root for the Mets. But their uniforms are so very very boring! Cardinals are much prettier. Go Cardinals! Go Mets! Go Cardinals!

I've never seen the Cards lose in person (ie. while I was in the stadium they were playing in), while I have seen the Mets lose in that way. That's my incredibly scientific reason for backing St. Louis tonight.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, you didn't crosspost with ALL the other baseball fans [Razz] . I'd take a brinksy chance and predict the scores if I didn't/don't have to predict the teams too but I don't want to guess on the NL pennant so perhaps I won't quite yet. [Biased]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australian baseball

B&S Ball - Just as much a game as you can see.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My absolute favorite light reading about baseball is this classic by Ernest L. Thayer: Casey at the Bat. I had to memorize it when I was in elementary school and it's been a favorite ever since. If you're looking to nurture any future baseball fans, there's a glorious new illustrated edition done by artist Christopher Bing (I've got a copy for my little chickle-lad).

In addition to light reading, another fun way to pass time ... what are your favorite baseball movies?

Mine are 61*, about Roger Maris and Micky Mantle in the "house that Ruth built", and then one featuring the Yanks' arch-nemesis, called Fever Pitch--a cute but very funny rom-com about an over-the-edge Red Sox fan and his long-suffering girlfriend.

[ 20. October 2006, 04:38: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Well, it looks like it will be St. Louis and Detroit!

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Think I gotta go with the Cards!

Chickle, don't forget a perfect baseball anthem.

This song makes me positively TWITCH for a ball game.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Who-hoooo, baby! Comet, you sure know how to pick an evocative anthem. I can smell the peanuts and the garlic fries (and the beer on the breath of my tipsy neighbors)--it's almost like I'm there!

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Okay, now that I'm hallucinating about garlic fries, it's time to get down to business. Here are my prognostications for the Saturday and Sunday games:

SATURDAY - Detroit Tigers 7, St. Louis Cardinals 4
SUNDAY - Detroit Tigers 3, St. Louis Cardinals 1

Tigers - 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1
Cards - 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2

Not to diss on the Cards, but my grandpa was from Detroit and so I feel a sense of familial obligation ... GO TIGERS!

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have -ve idea about baseball - but St Louis has the whole LCMS praying for them - so I will pick like:

SATURDAY - Detroit 4, St. Louis 7
SUNDAY - Detroit 1, St. Louis 3

Tigers - 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2
Cards - 3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, I now have ten minutes research of baseball rules and form under my belt... and having never seen a baseball game in my life (except extracts on The Simpsons) here goes...

Saturday: Detroit Tigers 6; St Louis Cardinals 2
Sunday: Detroit Tigers 5; St Louis Cardinals 4

Innings:
Tigers___2,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,2
Cardinals_0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0

[Paranoid]

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday: Detroit Tigers 6; St Louis Cardinals 2
Sunday: Detroit Tigers 4; St Louis Cardinals 7

Innings:
Tigers___2,0,1,1,0,0,0,1,0
Cardinals_0,1,0,0,3,0,0,1,0

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I ask a quick question? Am I right in thinking that in American sports the home team is written second, so that both of the first two games are in St Louis?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday: Detroit Tigers 6; St Louis Cardinals 4
Sunday: Detroit Tigers 4; St Louis Cardinals 6

Innings:
Tigers___0,1,0,0,3,0,0,1,2
Cardinals_2,0,1,1,0,0,0,1,1

Ok. My confession.
I have no idea how you score baseball. I have no idea how you play it or what the rules are. I do know they wear funny trousers though.

Mind you, in the smileys round which was guess work I did well. So, bring on the top spot!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea about baseball either. I think I will wait a while and see what else has been posted then go for an average.

Re my earlier comments about leaving it a while and then completely forgetting to post: this could be my last round. I see this as another form of brink(s)personship.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Can I ask a quick question? Am I right in thinking that in American sports the home team is written second, so that both of the first two games are in St Louis?

That's two questions.

First, yes, the home team is written second.

No, the first two games are in Detroit, due to the American League winning the All-Star game this year.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday, game 1: Cards 2; Tigers 5
Sunday, game 2: Cards 1; Tigers 3

Inning by inning score:

Cards: 100 010 000
Tigers: 110 010 110

Here are some details about the games, teams, etc.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question to ask myself is, "Is it worth giving up several hours of my free time to learn about baseball, and if I did, would it raise my entry from random guesswork to anything approaching 'using your skill and judgement ...'?"

Answer came there none (or at least, "No!")

So, typing with my eyes *shut:

Saturday: Detroit Tigers 5; St Louis Cardinals 4
Sunday: Detroit Tigers 3; St Louis Cardinals 6

Innings:
Tigers 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,3
Cardinals 3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1

* And grateful that the scores don't have to make sense - number of goals doesn't have to match the final score or vice-versa.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

So, typing with my eyes shut:

That's how I handled the soccer* round earlier.

* English football, that is, as opposed to American football or Canadian football.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Symptoms:
a. cheering for guys in stripes through many innings of a 1-1 game.
b. in the top of ninth, groaning, "Oh that's torn it" when a two-run homer is hit.
c. feeling major OUCH when the game ends on a standing strike-out with bases loaded.

Diagnosis:
I'm a New York above Pretty Red Birds fan after all.

Or maybe it's just that the away team wears boring grey pyjam-- uh, uniforms, and the game was at home in Shea Stadium.

--------------------
Truth

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to also-ran this one. I'm the only British baseball fan I know and regularly bore people senseless who respond by saying "so it's rounders really!"

Game 1: Detroit 5 St Louis 1
Game 2: Detroit 9 St Louis 4

Innings

Detroit 010203100
St Louis: 000010001

[ 20. October 2006, 14:03: Message edited by: Rugmaker ]

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
... the game ends on a standing strike-out with bases loaded.

How could he? I really wanted the Mets to win.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Cardinals 6 -- 7 Tigers
Cardinals 1 -- 4 Tigers

(Hey, if the cards lose I want some consolation by knowing I'm more likely to stay in the Quiz!)

Cards 010 000 000
Tigers000 100 03X

I'm surprised I could leave it this late to post and be able to go with the results the last time these two teams met at Detroit.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, another dense question! I take it that the total score has to be the sum of the scores of each innings? It's just there have been several entries where that isn't the case and I've got confused!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Cards 010 000 000
Tigers000 100 03X

And for those who don't know, but would like to, the X means it is over before it is over. That is, the home team leads after 8.5 innings, so do not come to bat in their half of the 9th.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
OK, another dense question! I take it that the total score has to be the sum of the scores of each innings?

In Real Life, yes. (* Waits for some baseball wizard to explain that I'm wrong and there are some truly odd, rare, yet legal circumstances in which this is not the case. *)

quote:
It's just there have been several entries where that isn't the case and I've got confused!
Yes, that's because for this round
quote:
per the illustrious Quizmaster:

Whether there's any advantage to submitting this way I haven't quite been able to work out, other than the advantage to Quizzie of not having to check our addition, and to us of not having to know how to add.

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
per the illustrious Quizmaster:

Whether there's any advantage to submitting this way I haven't quite been able to work out, other than the advantage to Quizzie of not having to check our addition, and to us of not having to know how to add.
I think the idea is to be safely in between your two predictions for game scores so that the the innings might be helpful for either game.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

[missed edit so I'll add this here]
It amuses me somewhat but if I try to look at pundits' predictions for the game then my work blocks those sites for "Gambling." Well, I guess I'll submit my guess later on today!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Right then. Based on all the helpful answers above, I shall have a complete guess 8oD

Cardinals 2 - 4 Tigers
Cardinals 3 - 4 Tigers

Innings scores:

Cardinals: 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 2 0
Tigers: 1 0 0 3 0 1 0 1 1

Fingers crossed....

--------------------
Brian Clough

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I am embarrassed to admit - I'm guessing here too. I have had zero time to read up on the teams.

so with a little bit of past experience a bit of hope and a love for little red birdies:

Saturday: StL 4 Det 3
Sunday: StL 7 Det 5

StL 010 200 101
Det 000 010 02x

I think I'll be spending a lot of time at the bar this weekend.

comet

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is that any different to usual? [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:

Is that any different to usual? [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

comet is a lawyer?

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Sharkshooter, are you saying that Comet drinks like a fish (in your expert opinion)?

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For MY Entry I am going with:

SATURDAY: Cardinals 8 Tigers 5
SUNDAY: Cardinals 4 Tigers 6

The Innings (guaranteed high percentage!) [Biased]

Cardinals: 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
Tigers: 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0

I reckon most of them innings will be correct! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
I reckon most of them innings will be correct! [Big Grin]

So, is it the largest number of correct half-inning scores, or the lowest sum of the absolute values of the differences between the guessed half-inning scores and the actual half-inning scores? [Eek!]

Or, are you just hoping it doesn't get that far?
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

[Cool] You know me Sharky [Cool]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Saturday: Cardinals 2 Tigers 3
Sunday: Cards 1 Tigers 3

Cards Innings: 000000000
Tiger Innings: 000000000

ETA: Damnit! QM had the idea of not predicting any points too. Idea thief!

[ 20. October 2006, 19:36: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I have no idea about baseball either. I think I will wait a while and see what else has been posted then go for an average.

So far the first match will average a win for the Tigers but the second will be a 4-4 tie. Can you have a tie in baseball? I will have to Google some rules.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
... Can you have a tie in baseball? ...

No ties. In the event the game is tied at the end of the nionth inning, extra innings will be played until a team has more runs than the other at the end of an inning.

Sometimes this results in the phenomenon known as the walk off home run which could occur in the bottom f the ninth as well, such as when the Tigers beat the Yankees last week.

[ 20. October 2006, 19:54: Message edited by: sharkshooter ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016