homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TR, this may be useful. Or if you really want to satisfy the pedant in you, try this (choose from the collapsible menu on the left for rules about specific aspects of the game).

[ 20. October 2006, 19:59: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your help. According to the average scores posted so far the Tigers will win the first game 5-4 and the second will end up 5-4 to the Tigers as well.

My (averaged) nominated innings scores are:

Tigers 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1
Cardinals 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Everybody had the Cardinals scoring nothing in the sixth inning (innings?).

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rogue, both teams have pretty decent pitching so my bet is we're all predicting too high but considering the way this is all scored, it's safest to stay with the group.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go Cards!! (Well, if my Red Sox can't play, then the Red Birds should win!)

Saturday: Cards-4 Tigers-3
Sunday: Cards 3 Tigers-1

Cards: 100 020 101
Tigers: 001 100 101

I really wanted be a smarty pants and add some extra innings!

Did I tell you about Daughter-Unit and I going with some othere moms and daughters to see the Twins play at Hammond Stadium? We were in the nosebleed section and a grackle had taken up residence in the overhang over the bleachers. He did his loud grackle noise, the did "bombs away" right on the girls sitting in our group! [Killing me]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Old Chap, I don't understand your banter.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guide to banter:
nosebleed section
grackle
bombs away

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noting the close affinity of "bombs away" to "crap shoot," here are my choices:

SATURDAY - St. Louis Cardinals 4, Detroit Tigers 5
SUNDAY - St. Louis Cardinals 5, Detroit Tigers 4

Cardinals - 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
Tigers - 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 0, 2

Singlehandedly I take on the whole raft of Quizzers for the Cards to score in the sixth inning [Razz] .

--------------------
Truth

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our pastors is from St. Louis and a die-hard Cards fan so I will go for the Cards.

Saturday's game - STL 6 DET 2
Sunday's game - STL 4 DET 1

Inning summary:

STL 010 020 111
DET 100 000 100

[ 21. October 2006, 03:13: Message edited by: Lady A ]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwai has the right idea. The pitchers limit run production. The Tigers have some great pitching. It will also be cold during the games. Cold weather helps the pitchers. I would pick a score like Gwai did. In fact I think I will.

Tigers 3 Cardinals 2
Tigers 4 Cardinals 0

Cardinals 000 000 000
Tigers 010 000 010

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also ran - BUT big baseball fan.

Game 1 - 2 Rookies on the mound - odds figure big score. Nah

I'm going Cards 0 Tigers 2

Cards 000000000
Tigers 00002000X

Game 2 - Don't know who will be pitching - probably two aces. Odds figure low score. Nah.

I'm going Cards 10 Tigers 9

Cards 000421120
Tigers 201000311

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(From Also Ran luxury box, via the reader board in the stadium.)

Taking a mathemagical view of the event, I'm incorporating the digits of Pi and Phi., plus the number of letters in the name of each team. I'm also postulating 2 extra innings, for a total of 11.

Sat: Cardinals 9, Tigers 6
Sun: Cardinals 6, Tigers 9

St. Louis--1, 6, 1, 8, 0, 3, 3, 9, 8, 8, 7

Detroit--3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 9, 2, 6, 5, 3, 5

Here is "Playing Right Field", an inspirational song for those who aren't good at sports! [Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These last two rounds have just been too much for me, even as an also ran, but never mind, the also ran box is so comfortable . The daiquiris are just devine and as for the masseuse. [Roll Eyes]

Thanks Quizzy for a fun quiz, best of luck to the rest of you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as I was forewarned, our friendly host Chorister has withdrawn from the contest by not posting so I can relax.

I may, but I do not have to, post the scores based on the results. I am, however, pleased to see the level of interest from the Also Rans.

If Golden Key is accurate in predicting the Inning scores then drinks are on me for eternity.
Would someone calculate the odds on my having to pay out? [Razz]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Golden Key's had to much to drink with her Pi. So if you do have to pay out, she shouldn't get any.

[ 21. October 2006, 16:29: Message edited by: Lady A ]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Guide to banter:
nosebleed section
grackle
bombs away

Thanks for posting a very accurate translation! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
I think Golden Key's had to much to drink with her Pi. So if you do have to pay out, she shouldn't get any.

You might be right. A nice golden ale, or some Goldschlager, perhaps?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm going for Comet Swan for a couple of reasons. First, my daughter's "Thai name" is Hong - the swan. and secondly, Swan is hanging out in our skies (as I type!) early in the morning and I've given it a lot of lost-sleep-hours already, only to be fouled up by some really stinky weather.

saw it!!!

with binocs, because the proper lense for the telescope was packed somewhere mysterious in the move, and at 5 am I really couldn't handle the concept of hunting it down. hopefully I'll get it all together today and be ready and the clear skies will be more of a trend than an anomaly.

[Yipee]

it's quite green. very cool.

comet - in full chase.

back to your regularly scheduled game.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uber cool! Reminds me of my night I stayed up to see the Aurora Borealis. Apparently there are much more dramatic times but that's about what it looked like when I saw it.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
If Golden Key is accurate in predicting the Inning scores then drinks are on me for eternity.

[Big Grin] There's a theory that all possible realities are playing out somewhere...

I'll take an infinite supply of Guittard hot cocoa, with a tray of spices, whipped cream, and syrups.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Approximately NIL.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sinisterial is very close on game one! only two points from perfect. Quizmaster was close also.

bring on game 2!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now - Where was I? - No! - Really? - O.K. Then

P O S H

15 0 0 1 Jedijudy :- A good question, and half of a good answer
15 0 1 0 Ann :- I have you down as a potential winner every time
15 0 0 1 LMC :- Find a subject for next week and post it on the forum girl
15 0 1 0 Cometchaser :- I somehow really like you
15 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Continuing to produce the ideal Knockout Quiz posts
15 0 1 -1 Gwai :- We have the girls in dispute about girly subjects already
15 0 1 0 Nutmeg :- Smart move waiting until after practice
15 0 -1 0 Doublethink :- You obviously did not check the Autenrieth Road link. I did.
15 0 1 0 Davelarge :- Follow the crowd and you behave like a lemming
15 1 0 0 Papa Smurf :- I am very glad that you are now happy
15 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- We may well go with that and follow a new British TV series
15 0 1 0 The Rogue :- Either an avid fan or regular reader of the other site
15 1 1 1 Gwai :- I shall probably put a thread in the CODES section about this
15 0 1 0 ACOL-ite :- I spotted the mistake before you but wondered if you would notice
15 1 1 1 The Rogue :- That was the only interpretation that made sense (sort of) ???
15 1 0 0 Cometchaser :- I think there are a few people happy with that result
15 0 1 0 Barnabas62 :- For an excellent post
15 0 1 0 Barnabas62 :- And for responding to Cometchaser without actually knowing it
15 0 -1 0 Davelarge :- Putting love before the Knockout Quiz. How could you?
15 0 -1 0 Quizmaster :- Can't you make your OWN mind up?
15 0 1 0 Yellow Snow :- Where do I send the chocolate?
15 1 0 1 Barnabas62 :- For having fun with spreadsheets and coz of the next post
15 1 1 1 Yellow Snow :- I should make that negative Smart but then you would be right!
15 1 1 1 Icklejen :- Thankyou for playing and enjoy watching Chelsea
15 0 1 0 Barnabas62 :- Good response, and I love that signature
15 0 0 1 Gwai :- Sometimes links only work on the local server
15 0 1 0 Lady A :- I did spot that your set of drivers was remarkably spot on
15 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- For the link
15 1 1 1 Rugmaker :- Thanks for fixing it so that we can all (if we want to) solve it now
15 1 0 0 Chelley :- Psychoanalysis needed to determine THAT connection
15 1 0 0 Rugmaker :- For that proposal to start up a board called HECK
15 0 1 0 Chelley :- GOTCHA!
15 1 0 0 Chorister :- You should be a Christian, and it is true, God will provide
15 0 1 0 Chelley :- That is correct, although I will post the answers near the end
15 0 -1 1 Chelley :- For letting us all know that Lily is, in fact, a feminine name
15 1 1 1 Birdseye :- An excellent link. There REALLY WAS a Lily the Pink
15 0 -1 1 Gwai :- Don’t worry about it. There are plenty of other links to click on.
15 0 1 0 Golden Key :- Thankyou for keeping the troops amused.
15 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- OK, I concede that it is in fact TRUE
15 1 1 1 Cometchaser :- For showing such obvious enthusiasm
15 0 -1 0 Doublethink :- For taking two posts to get both parts of the answer
15 1 0 1 Cometchaser :- I think we can use that.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

16 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Don’t worry too much, but Parkinsons gets worse as you age
16 0 -2 0 Doublethink :- Actually taking three posts to get a full answer in
16 1 0 0 Jedijudy :- Do you like Science Fiction at all Judy?
16 0 0 1 Sinisterial :- For the link
16 1 0 0 Gwai :- I think we can give you a brinkmanship point for taking this risk
16 1 0 0 Sinisterial :- For spotting an ancestor of Charlie Brown
16 -1 0 0 Cometchaser :- Oh No! Those two are at it again! Nattering away in the corner
16 0 0 0 ACOL-ite (Hart) :- One honesty point. Unfortunately there is no honesty table.
16 0 0 1 Autenrieth Road :- For offering suitably appropriate help
16 0 1 1 Cometchaser :- For offering better help that explains your tic
16 1 0 0 ACOL-ite (Hart) :- For cleverly denying the cure thus avoiding the fee
16 -1 1 0 Chicklegirl :- For developing the same tic as Cometchaser
16 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- I think I can use that rhyming couplet
16 1 0 0 Barnabas62 :- For predicting the future
16 1 0 0 Chorister :- Aint it great when you know that children are the real force?
16 0 0 1 Yellow Snow :- For the link
16 0 0 1 The Rogue :- For the link
16 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- For resolving a dispute
16 1 0 0 The Rogue :- How very spiritual to find out that one is both right and wrong
16 1 0 0 Sinisterial :- For that picture of an Australian river at high water
16 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- For finding the right links at the right time
16 0 1 1 Sinisterial :- For helping Ann with her adding up
16 1 1 1 Yellow Snow :- Apart from the spelling that was an excellent post
16 0 -1 0 Cometchaser :- It doesn't matter now as you lost
16 0 -1 0 Cometchaser :- An unfortunate follow up - a bad time for you it was
16 0 0 1 Hart (ACOL-ite) :- Helping a fellow competitor
16 1 1 1 Jedijudy :- A really good link that I added to my favourites

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all Tigers fans. I'm sorry that I jinxed your team in such a horrific way.

8o)

Dave

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Hopefully the pretty red bird will continue having victories over the striped carnivore.

Go Cards! [Yipee]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

May I suggest Milliways; not only does it have the wonderful slogan "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliway's—the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!" (The only way the bet can be required; an impossiblity), but by being at the end of the universe, it will fulfill the eternity of drink requirement for QM in a practical sense as well.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

17 0 0 1 Gwai :- Link City
17 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- For trying to wind Auntie Doris up
17 1 0 0 Gwai :- What would you do with a Moose flag?
17 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- Thanks for the Maine information and Maryland is my favourite too
17 0 -1 0 Gwai :- We are nearing the stage where you need to be more definite
17 1 0 0 Comet(chaser) :- For singing during the quiz
17 0 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Chief researcher for the flag round it seems
17 2 0 0 Golden Key :- You know what, I like that! I have never seen anything like it.
17 0 0 1 Auntie Doris :- You never know in this game - stranger things have happened
17 1 0 0 Birdseye :- My eyes went funny too
17 -1 -1 0 Nutmeg :- One of the best flags Nutmeg, but sadly already taken
17 0 -1 0 The Rogue :- For trying to add unnecessary complication to the process
17 1 0 0 Sharkshooter :- Another favourite purely for its unusual shape
17 1 0 0 Gwai :- I may need help with Brinkmanship points.
17 0 -1 1 Autenrieth Road :- Helping a fellow competitor
17 0 1 0 Jedijudy :- You get the point I just took off Autenrieth Road
17 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- Publicly humiliating oneself can avoid the private little digs
17 0 1 0 Davelarge :- Welcome to the Quiz Dave, and keep up with whose who
17 0 1 0 Sharkshooter :- I like that.
17 0 1 0 Chorister :- Expressed in a manner designed to keep morons from the answer
17 1 1 1 Jedijudy :- I say keep taking the drugs girl
17 0 0 1 Nutmeg :- Apology accepted
17 0 1 0 Nutmeg :- For making a mountain out of a molehill, or 52 out of 2, or something.
17 1 0 1 Doublethink :- Fare Well, Bon Voyage, Hope to see you on your return
17 1 0 0 Gwai :- I think throwing up all over me would have the greatest impact
17 0 1 0 Hart :- I do TRY to get everything into this game
17 1 0 0 Chorister :- Do you really know something that we all don't?
17 1 0 0 Nutmeg :- So which one is truly YOU?
17 -1 1 0 Golden Key :- Have you got C.S.Lewis up there in the Also Ran box?
17 1 0 0 Chelley :- Close but I think you need to look at a few more rainbows
17 0 1 0 Chelley :- The things we teach our children! No wonder they haven't a clue.
17 1 0 0 Sinsterial :- I like that play. A bit too In-depth for me though.
17 1 -1 0 Comet(chaser) :- Lost all sense of mathematics on hearing of her demise
17 1 1 1 Lady A :- I think that has to be awarded TOP MARKS for this round
17 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- You have no idea just how close you came
17 1 0 -1 Yellow Snow :- Trying to criticise a woman in a deep emotional crisis
17 1 1 1 Comet(chaser) :- You have the right attitude. You will go far.
17 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- All the best people "Never Are".
17 0 1 1 Sinisterial :- I think you've been spotted Comet.
17 1 0 1 Jedijudy :- Memories of the good old days when life was simple and so were we
17 0 0 1 Yellow Snow :- Helpful points awarded by Lady A

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

18 1 1 1 Comet :- Have you ever thought about going into politics?
18 1 0 0 Davelarge :- I think we get the picture
18 1 0 0 Birdseye :- I think we have the basis for a screenplay here
18 1 0 0 Nutmeg :- I agree. I am sure someone will write a thesis on it soon
18 0 -1 0 The Rogue :- For claiming I was awarding opoints. I am not Irish.
18 1 0 0 Ann :- It matters not no more
18 1 0 0 Sharkshooter :- For lighting the flames of indignation
18 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- Just for being happy about life in general
18 -1 1 -1 Davelarge :- Pedant role suitably filled.
18 0 1 1 Sharkshooter :- Good answer. If it sits with the smilies we can call it a smiley.
18 1 0 0 LMC :- Is that an autobiographical tale?
18 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- For her continuing work caring for the unloved and unwanted.
18 1 0 0 Gwai :- A good question. I am on the case.
18 1 0 0 Quizmaster :- You know you always take the easy option.
18 0 1 0 Gwai :- Chocolate is so very bad for the waistline. I am doing you a favour.
18 1 0 0 Quizmaster :- Thank you so much for that history lesson
18 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- I think green has the greatest variety and all are KOQ smilies.
18 1 1 1 The Rogue :- You are, in fact, ideal Knockout Quiz Research material
18 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Attrition has always been the way of the quiz. Why change things?
18 1 0 0 Gwai :- Give in to temptation. Do the deed. There is no need for self control.
18 1 0 0 Quizmaster :- You? Time to waste? Now that really is original.
18 0 0 0 Gwai :- I want to see the 50,000 word essay first
18 1 1 1 The Rogue :- Auntie Doris seems to be flying with minimum effort.
18 0 0 1 Hart :- Both good questions. The answer is a pomegranate.
18 0 0 1 Gwai :- Good advice
18 0 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- I can always rely on you.
18 0 1 -1 Hart :- I know you are thinking far too hard about all this, but I like that
18 0 -1 0 Chicklegirl :- Taking two attempts to post an entry
18 0 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- I agree with you. The Golden Key link was far too general in nature
18 1 1 0 Lady A :- You knew what you were doing you undoubted guru.
18 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- An appropriate adjective there.
18 1 1 0 Yellow Snow :- A neat way of posting your entries.
18 -1 0 -1 Sinisterial :- Not THAT old chestnut
18 1 0 0 Gwai :- Kelvin wouldn't thank you either.
18 -1 1 0 Yellow Snow :- Still a neat idea, but this is the second post
18 1 -1 -1 Davelarge :- Missing a few continents there
18 2 1 1 Yellow Snow :- A lovely idea baking that cake for Birdseye's birthday
18 1 0 -1 Chelley :- Trying to stir things up Chelley?
18 0 1 0 Comet :- Good spot and a nice post
18 0 0 1 Golden Key :- Thank you for the clarification

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Essay for QM:

On the internet it is easy to feel one is banging up against walls like [brick wall] . That’s why he was the most common second to the smilie Yellow Snow used so much. In a game where almost everyone eventually loses (such as KOQ) it is easy to feel one is hitting up against walls.
It is also easy to see why the laughing smilie, [Killing me] , is popular. He is cheerful and even fun to watch. Clearly we are glad we are on the Ship (and on the Knockout Quiz) since we remain in these places. Thus, [Killing me] expresses our cheer and he spreads it quite nicely.
Of the least used smilies, [Votive] , is debatably a smilie. [Angel] , does not express the way most of us think we are. It is usually used sarcastically and not something one wants to bet on in a round like the smilie round. Similarly, [Hot and Hormonal] is more relevant in context and isn't so entertaining out of it. The wink is cool in context but he’s neither simple like the plain smilie face nor sheer happiness like :yippee:. He is not dramatic like projectile or evil and perhaps funny like [Two face] . Always everyone's second choice, he ends up as one of the least used.

And since the above is two hundred words if you don't count icons as words, I could easily repeat it fifty times to make a fifty thousand word essay. However, since I am a thoughtful shipmate I will not repeat it so to avoid annoying.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

*Ahem* May I point out that I posted Cards 6 (one point off) and Tigers 2 (exactly). *Ahem*
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

[Big Grin] There's a theory that all possible realities are playing out somewhere...

I'll take an infinite supply of Guittard hot cocoa, with a tray of spices, whipped cream, and syrups.

You got it. Just go to the reality that your prediction was accurate and all the Guittard hot cocoa, spices, whipped cream and syrups will be waiting for you. [Razz]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
*Ahem* May I point out that I posted Cards 6 (one point off) and Tigers 2 (exactly). *Ahem*

Did somebody say something? [Two face]

[ 22. October 2006, 17:23: Message edited by: Quizmaster ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

19 0 0 0 Papa Smurf :- You should be a circus host you know
19 1 0 0 Birdseye :- For eating carrot cake at work
19 0 -1 0 Barnabas62 :- For bailing out early just to carry on Real Life
19 0 1 0 Quizmaster :- If it had not been for Barnabas, you might have been a brinkman
19 0 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Would you like a job as my minder?
19 1 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- For dancing the tango in Buneos Aires
19 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- An accurate assessment followed by an alarming option
19 0 -1 1 Ickeljen :- Thankyou for those few words of advice
19 1 0 0 Gwai :- You are far too accommodating. Harden up a bit.
19 1 0 0 Sharkshooter :- I did.
19 -1 0 0 Comet :- Singing another song now.
19 0 1 0 Hart :- All these factors may be relevant if everybody posts
19 0 0 1 Gwai :- And was I wrong? Oh yes! I was!
19 1 1 0 Quizmaster :- You can crack codes but cannot speak German?
19 1 1 1 Papa Smurf :- You can speak German but cannot crack codes?
19 0 -1 0 Chelley :- Being beaten by a smurf
19 1 1 0 Golden Key :- That is certainly a novel way of choosing temperatures
19 0 0 1 LMC :- Good advice for others there
19 0 0 1 The Rogue :- For the link
19 1 -1 1 Golden Key :- For being one of the last to notice
19 0 0 1 Smudgie :- Obviously still looking in
19 0 0 1 Smudgie :- Helpfulness points awarded by Golden Key
19 0 1 0 The Rogue :- The Quiz has been a lot more structured this year.
19 0 0 1 Chorister :- For warning us about Sulphuric potatoes
19 0 0 1 Gwai :- Nice list of molecules
19 1 0 0 Chelley :- Trying to bring literature into the science classroom
19 1 0 0 Gwai :- For that Niosh Emergency Response Card
19 -1 0 0 Chelley :- For copying the idea of a Niosh Emergency Response Card
19 0 1 0 Yellow Snow :- For freeing me from any night time anxiety
19 1 0 0 Comet :- For the pictures of the baby Giant Panda
19 1 0 0 Gwai :- For helping me to start my own Gold and Silver mines
19 1 0 0 Golden Key :- For posting by semaphore
19 1 0 0 Sinisterial :- For photographs of the Black Ooze
19 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- Simply being well connected
19 1 0 0 Lady A :- For getting to see Gaelic Storm on October 6th.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

20 1 0 0 Jedijudy :- For finding the antidote to my shampoo drinking habit
20 1 0 0 Rugasaw :- I continue to fail to understand any of that
20 0 1 0 Jedijudy :- For making sense of the enigma that was the previous post
20 0 1 0 Gwai :- Good Effort Gwai. I will make time to check it all out soon.
20 0 0 1 Hart :- That could prove useful.
20 1 1 -1 Autenrieth Road :- Suggesting a possible method for curtailing the fun we are having
20 1 1 1 Chelley :- A good case for the defence
20 0 1 0 The Rogue :- For educating Autenrieth Road
20 0 -1 0 Autenrieth Road :- For being a fellow and not knowing your exit from your exeunt
20 0 1 1 Comet :- Θ Nice link for those who want to be clever
20 1 0 0 LMC :- Does Papa Smurf know that you chose Cummingtonite?
20 1 0 0 Birdseye :- Simply for picking Niobium Telluride
20 0 -1 0 Papa Smurf :- It works for me
20 1 0 0 Papa Smurf :- Does LMC know that you chose Arsole? I think you need to talk.
20 0 -1 0 Davelarge :- And also to realise that Also Rans can get away with blue murder
20 0 0 1 Papa Smurf :- For providing Jedijudy with a morning laugh
20 0 -1 0 Sharkshooter :- You may be an Also Ran but you are not allowed what has gone
20 0 0 1 Gwai :- A little gentle prodding is all part of the fun and games
20 0 0 1 Papa Smurf :- Quite Right. You tell him.
20 1 0 0 Chelley :- For continuing to plug KCN (Knockoutquiz Community Network) TV
20 1 0 0 Chelley :- Albert Einstein failed his school exams
20 1 1 1 Hart :- Curiouser and Curiouser
20 0 -1 0 Chelley :- That cannot be a good thing can it?
20 0 -1 0 Gwai :- Dumb point awarded
20 0 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Following Bush and Blair. Cock it up then claim you meant it.
20 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Castlist in order of importance: Chicklegirl, All the Others
20 1 0 0 Ann :- What a brilliant song. I must rehearse that one.
20 1 0 0 The Rogue :- For that shocking news
20 0 0 1 LMC :- Helping an Also Ran - Not necessary but nice
20 1 1 1 The Rogue :- Thankyou for that definitive table. I wish others were as sad as you.
20 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Nice link
20 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Thankyou for the music
20 0 0 1 Chicklegirl :- Good opening link
20 0 1 0 The Rogue :- An excellent choice if I may say so
20 0 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Wise words
20 1 1 1 Rugasaw :- I could not have put it better myself
20 1 0 0 Auntie Doris :- For letting us know that she is a serf who has a Lord to think for her
20 1 0 0 Comet :- I love the dialogue
20 1 0 0 Golden Key :- I am going to have to research pentaminoes code now

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:

sorry, Lady A! I got them backwards when I wrote yours down.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
And since the above is two hundred words if you don't count icons as words, I could easily repeat it fifty times to make a fifty thousand word essay.

Ahem, that would make a ten thousand word essay. Here is a hint for how many times you would really need to repeat.
quote:
However, since I am a thoughtful shipmate I will not repeat it so to avoid annoying.
Much obliged!

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
And since the above is two hundred words if you don't count icons as words, I could easily repeat it fifty times to make a fifty thousand word essay.

Ahem, that would make a ten thousand word essay. Here is a hint for how many times you would really need to repeat.
quote:
However, since I am a thoughtful shipmate I will not repeat it so to avoid annoying.
Much obliged!

Well, it would be even more thoughtful of me to post it 250 times and I wasn't likely to win the smart alec anyway. [Razz]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

that last inning was so exciting!

STL 1
DET 3

Sharkshooter called it perfectly.

Saint Louis made their only point at the last play of the last inning, two on base, two strikes, two outs. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! great end of game.

comet

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(Presented for your amusement and education, via fortune cookies from an alley bakery in San Francisco's Chinatown.)

Re compound round:

"Blink and you'll miss the superheavy new element."

Re pentominoes:

Wikipedia article.
Also see the intriguing novel "Chasing Vermeer"! [Cool]

And now for something completely different!

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, I've stopped sulking now and am lining up with the Also-Rans in anticipation of the next round... (where's the 'rubbing hands together with eager expectation smilie' when you need it?)

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

quote:

Do you think Monty Python will feature in the next round, then?

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the expurgated Quiz?
The one without the Bird round...

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:

"gloriuos" [Killing me] I hear a praise song here..."Glory, glory u os!!"

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Round Sixteen: Best Image

TIME FOR A SUBJECTIVE ROUND

By now you have got to know some of your fellow competitors and what will impress them, and some of the Also Rans and what will impress them.

You must post a single link to a single image that you think will impress your fellow quizists.

Anyone posting more than one link in their entry will be disqualified.

Once all competitors and some Also Rans have posted you must PM me your top ten images. The one that impresses you most should be marked 1. and the one that makes the tenth best impression should be marked 10. You include Also Ran entries in the top 10 if that is your opinion.

The person posting the least favoured image will be eliminated.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin Luther King giving his "I have a dream" speech.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a 360-degree view from the top of Mount Everest (click and drag with your mouse on the far right of the image and it will continue to rotate so you can see the full panorama).

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

<silly question alert>

QM, can you clarify for me whether a quizzipant can vote for her/his own image as one of his/her top ten? (if one were so brazenly inclined to win that one was willing through sheer carnal ambition to stack the ballot box in one's own favor?)

[Two face]

I'm assuming also that (while not stated explicitly) it isn't within the parameters of the rules to vote for an image more than once. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

</silly question alert>

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

One of my passions is scuba diving. It is possible to get a real sense of God underwater.
This photo is one of my favourites. It was taken by me in a swim-through series of caves near the cliffs of Second Valley in South Australia.(12 metres deep)

Underwater cross

In the world scale, it may not be much, but to me, it impressed the immediacy and love of a gracious God and does every time I see it.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I present... The Ship of Fools.

I am just trying to work out who's who!! [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Very interesting word "impressive." I advise my fellow contestants to remember that cool or exciting things are not always impressive and perhaps vis versa.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016