homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
If you put it here more people might see (and appreciate) it!

jj: did you not see the "Official" sign on mainstreet? (as official as we ever get around here. our mayor is a cat.)

hunting sounds now. I suppose posting my own radio voice would be just a weensie bit egotistical? [Razz]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, I like that sign! (Of course a cat should be the mayor!) Can one see that sign from the train? I did, however, see this very official-looking sign! [Big Grin]

Wet Kipper, thanks to you I had a great Sunday morning laugh!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what better, than the sound of a passing comet?

(jj - we have a billboard law. which means all large signs have to be removable, i.e. on wheels. so we have lots of spiffy truck-signs just like that one. BTW - that's the place I went to watch the World Series)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't actually have sound on my work computer
[Frown]
But I do know quite a few of the things posted by other people from hearing them in real life. However it poses something of a problem for me in finding a working link... ie -I have no idea what sound I'm posting to. (Well, I vaguely recall the sound I've posted to from a documentary -but whether it sounds the same on this page -I don't know).

So here goes nothing -with the eery (I'm guessing) phenomena of Singing sand dunes

You need big speakers or good earphones (so it says) -then click on a picture.

There's no fingers-crossed smiley - [Paranoid]

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite the effect that I was after, but probably more surprising - the sound of an Also-ran desperately trying to catch up.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will AR and Sinistaerial post in the next four and a half hours (is that right..? time changes confuse me) or will we have our first automatic knock-outs for quite a few rounds?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AR will indeed post (a sound even, and not just this placeholder [Biased] ). She is trying to figure out how to find good sounds on the internet [Hot and Hormonal] . She's having trouble finding the one she really wants [Frown] .

[ETA: "aelig" is the name of the character you want, Hart, as in Sinistærial.]

[ 30. October 2006, 17:27: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
AR will indeed post (a sound even, and not just this placeholder [Biased] ). She is trying to figure out how to find good sounds on the internet [Hot and Hormonal] . She's having trouble finding the one she really wants [Frown] .

[ETA: "aelig" is the name of the character you want, Hart, as in Sinistærial.]

Good good. The tension mounts re: Sinistærial's entry then.

I also found the finding of sounds harder than I expected. Google should have a GoogleSound gadget.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alta-Vista has a decent search engine for that--when it's up. It was done when I was searching.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's On First, by Abbott and Costello.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

To help out Sinistærial in his hunting, many famous baseball sound clips here. Go ahead, try and pick one more impressive than mine [Razz] [Biased] .

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
what better, than the sound of a passing comet?

(jj - we have a billboard law. which means all large signs have to be removable, i.e. on wheels. so we have lots of spiffy truck-signs just like that one. BTW - that's the place I went to watch the World Series)

On a truck? Or a comet? (* scratches head *)

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we have an automatic knockout I gather that means we don't have to vote? Or would QM prefer to be able to post the votes? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
If we have an automatic knockout I gather that means we don't have to vote? Or would QM prefer to be able to post the votes? [Big Grin]

I think the answer to both of those questions is "Yes".

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Real Life taking possession of our friend Sinistærial (I took the time to get an aelig) we must wave goodbye and continue with the quiz.

There is now no need to send in your votes.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can confirm at this point that the final ten contestants are:

Ann
Autenrieth Road
Birdseye
Chicklegirl
Davelarge
Gwai
Hart
Lady A
Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow
Quizmaster

You have all done very well and so have the Also Rans who are still playing their part in this game.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Round Nineteen: Start Your Own Thread

This round caused a stir last year because of the stereotype shipmates who like spending their time in HELL. So this year you must start your very own thread in the forum to be found by clicking below:

Start Your Own Thread

You may choose any topic but you know the board is restricted to the other contestants and Also Rans (although we welcome anyone who wants to join us) and you must spark the interest of others to want to contribute to the thread.

The person to be eliminated will be the person who starts the thread that has fewest posts by Thursday 22:00 GMT (any posts by the thread starter will not count).

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
...Sinistærial (I took the time to get an aelig)...

The blink of an eyelash? Typing æ produces æ.

Æligs, æligs, get your hot fresh æligs here.

--------------------
Truth

Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh *&#%!

I hate rounds that only last for 24 hours, especially when I am stuck somewhere without internet access

Well I guess that I will try for the smart alec job.

Good luck remaining quizzies

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the Adelaide contingent is halved, all because of the need to be able to breathe.
Damn your selfishness in having a real life. [Big Grin]

I'll buy you a beer at the meet Sæiænæiæsætæeæræiæaæl.

Unless you'd like to argue...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh pants, that means we've got to be properly creative!

It's just as well that our esteemed Quizmaster is such a nice chap.

Dave
8o)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mwahaha a hahahahaha a ha a ha a haaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Not getting enough song lyrics? come get more!

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ok, its the last day of the school holidays, my plan for the day is to check the chelsea website every ten minutes to see how plans are progressing for the big game tonight, so i will be glued to my computer...

so, whoever cracks my code (start with the capital letters 1st as there's 2 codes in 1) i will guarantee to post enough on their thread to keep them in the game....

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

House Tour. Come on in, rooms for everyone. Post early, post often.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:
so, whoever cracks my code (start with the capital letters 1st as there's 2 codes in 1) i will guarantee to post enough on their thread to keep them in the game....

And here is the site of everything codish, including icklejen's code.

--------------------
Truth

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
autenreith road has cracked my code!!

remember, only one of you can go out, so if anyone else cracks the code, i shall help them too

(but NOT if you refer to my hamster as a bugger and wish him dead! mr large!)

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Gosh, you really are glued to your computer today! [Axe murder] You are my hero.

--------------------
Truth

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

Then in midfield Iniesta is 5’6”, Xavi 5’7”, and Deco 5’8”. Michael Essien is 5’10”, Frank Lampard 6’, and Michael Ballack is 6’2”

(from the cfc website)

see, there's a lot for me to be doing online today....

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Join me in my quest for greater self-effacement by sharing your most embarrassing experience! (Or just reading about those of your quizmates.)

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Sæiænæiæsætæeæræiæaæl

I believe you have a typo there. Did you mean

Sæiænæiæsætæææræiæaæl

--------------------
Truth

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ahem

given that this round is based on proceedings in the "outside" Knockout Quiz forum, a forum which also contains a chat thread, please refrain from posts which would be better suited to that chat thread, or the chatty regional threads in All Saints

thanks

Wet Kipper
Circus Host

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

sorry mr wet kipper sir, sorry [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Killed the thread, too, you did.

Here's me thinking this round was ending last night.

d'uh [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:
ok, its the last day of the school holidays, my plan for the day is to check the chelsea website every ten minutes to see how plans are progressing for the big game tonight, so i will be glued to my computer...

I'm looking forward to icklejen's participation on my "Cats" thread! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

i'm keeping quizmaster in (coz he's been lovely to me), and jedijudy and autenrieth road (coz they cracked my code) and davelarge (coz well, i suppose i should be nice!). any more takers.....

( i am back at school tomorro tho)

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is Jose Mourinho-esque manipulation!

I'm appalled.

Well. I'm not really. If I'm honest.

;o)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Eh, isn't manipulation part of what the quiz is about? Or perhaps I'm just saying that because I cracked jen's code.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[desperation]

Ok, I'm giving *karma points to anyone posting on my thread.

[/desperation]

(*At the rate of one per hour, I should be caught up in no time flat!)

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

If you want helpful advice, you could showing shipmates who don't do KoQ but might be interested your thread. It's helped me.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roll up, Roll up, come and see the freak thread!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a desperate bid to get more postings on my thread, I'm shifting gears and choosing what I hope is a more palatable topic. Please, I'm begging, grovelling, come check it out and post!

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fashionably late, from the Also Ran luxury box, via a marathon of messengers. (All still living!)

I have created a thread that would interest Mulder and Scully, and make Dan Brown green with envy!

[Paranoid] [Two face]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

TIME IS UP.

I have just counted the posts and we have to wave goodbye to two people at this stage.

Farewell, and enjoy your real lives .......

Ann

and

Lady A

Now you can all post freely to those threads!

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Round Twenty: Ship of Fools Member Number

As you know the Ship of Fools takes on new members all the time. What you must do is predict the member number of the latest recruit that will be shown as "Newbie alert for" on the Boards Home page at 22:00 on Wednesday next week. You know that the hosts monitor IP addresses so no fixing please or you will be dealt with.

Your choice of member number must have been posted by 22:00 tomorrow (Friday). Also Rans should get in early to grab the best numbers.

The person(s) to be eliminated will be the one who chose the number furthest away from the actual member number.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I predict that the number will be 12013.

If it helps, I advise the puzzled to find a newbie and look at its number and then calculate his register date vs that of the most recent registree

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

12021...just because it's pretty! [Biased]

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank goodness! I shall now be free to pursue my Nanowrimo!

A very nice event Quizmaster, I shall look forward to next years dalliance!

[ 02. November 2006, 22:57: Message edited by: Lady A ]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There you go Gwai, I'll halve your risk by exposing my self to the highs. Now if only the ship shuts down for a week...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016