homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AND SO WE BEGIN FOR REAL ...

First Round Casualties for failing to post:
Gort
Hazey Jane
Mousethief
Papa Smurf
Smudgie
Tclune

Remaining Contestants:
ACOL-ite
Ann
Auntie Doris
Autenrieth Road
Barnabas62
Birdseye
Chelley
Chicklegirl
Chorister
Cometchaser
Davelarge
Doublethink
FreeJack
Golden Key
Gwai
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Lady A
Linguo
LMC
Marvin the Martian
Nutmeg
Professor Kirke
Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
Sharkshooter
Sinisterial
The Rogue
Tom Day

Second Round Imminent.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ROUND TWO: SPEED

You must post a URL link to an animal, car, boat, ship, aircraft or anything else that has a reference to speed. We will take the maximum speed where there is a range.

The twist in this round is that whoever picks the speed furthest away from the average speed when all picks are chosen will be eliminated.

Good Luck! [Yipee]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E = mc²

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to that outstanding display of brinkmanship by Think Think, I think I'm totally OK to post:

Moris Minor II: tops out at 63 mph.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops: just realised that most people aren't weird median-freaks like me, and so QM probably meant mean not median when he said average. Hence, Doublethink's post was very safe and I've unwittingly brinkmanned myself...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Space Shuttle does 17,000 mph.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The highest clocked speed for an Indian Scout motorbike is 190.07 mph, set by Burt Munro of Invercargill, New Zealand, in 1967. The movie based on his experiences is one of my favorites.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this website the average speed of a cheetah is 71mph. I think they are amazing animals!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The banana slug at 0.000023 metres per second (0.00005129 miles per hour) which is even slower than Rogue junior when asked to empty the dishwasher.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thuja occidentalis has grown 10.2cm in 155 years.

This equates to a speed of 2.085x10^-11m/s

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
The banana slug at 0.000023 metres per second (0.00005129 miles per hour) which is even slower than Rogue junior when asked to empty the dishwasher.

And yet UCSC have them as their mascot...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:
Oops: just realised that most people aren't weird median-freaks like me, and so QM probably meant mean not median when he said average. Hence, Doublethink's post was very safe and I've unwittingly brinkmanned myself...

If so, I am not knowing what is right, so I ask for clarification. I would think that Thinkthink is probably far from an avg and thus Dt ought to obtain not as much brinkman points. Am I wrong?

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perusing other parts of the ship, I found myself asking, 'What is the speed of sock puppets posting inflammatory comments?'
According to this site they play with lightning speed which is 93,000 miles per second.

Fast little buggers, aren't they.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I offer the following information about the Peregrine falcon which has a top flying speed of 200.00+ MPH, measured over an approximate quarter mile distance.

This site might also be informative for folks who need to know these things, for instance, a black mamba snake moves pretty fast, but a human can move faster. Well, if that human isn't me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The estimated air speed Of An Unladen European Swallow is approximately 10 meters per second.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seemed fitting to go for a Ship... [Yipee]
So, the average speed of the Mayflower was 1.77knots or 2mph (scroll to the bottom of the page).

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But what of an African Swallow carrying a coconut?

This is not my pick. Notice no url.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is my pick.

The Earth at a whopping 18.5 miles per second about the Sun.

On a related subject should we bring up relativity?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

This is not my pick. Notice no url.

I'll be impressed if you can find a url TO include.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Enterprise NX-01 is the earliest of Star Trek's Starship Enterprises. Its maximum velocity is Warp 5.2, which of course, is roughly equal to 214 * the speed of light.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For a brief but informative dissertation on the coconut-bearing properties of various swallows, you may be interested in this.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professor kirke:
The Enterprise NX-01 is the earliest of Star Trek's Starship Enterprises. Its maximum velocity is Warp 5.2, which of course, is roughly equal to 214 * the speed of light.

I love thinking outside the box in my replies.
This is not only out of the box, but out of the house, down the street and around the corner by the little pub where they serve a tasty counter meal when the chef's not too hung over from the night before.

Well done sir.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the Persian Royal Road, a precursor to the Silk Road, was 2,857 km long, and royal couriers could do it in 9 days.

so, about 317.4 km/day, or about 13 km/hr if they used all 24 hours. which is unlikely, so lets go by the per day rate. which is about 197 miles per day - not bad for some guy on a horse!

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
E = mc²

Doublethink, your link doesn't actually refer to a speed with a specific value.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angels in Tennessee:

quote:
In Bristol, Tennessee angels have been clocked at over 60 mph and probably hit 90-100 mph in glides and swoops. The angels have been observed over and the city and out at Watauga Lake. They fly as high up 1 to 1/2 miles high, but usually less, around 2-3,000 feet or so.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
The Space Shuttle does 17,000 mph.

further down that page it says 17,600 [Razz]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
Originally posted by Sinisterial:
The thuja occidentalis has grown 10.2cm in 155 years.

This equates to a speed of 2.085x10^-11m/s

true, it may equate to a speed, buit your link doesn't specify a speed, unlike the request in the round description :
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
You must post a URL link ...that has a reference to speed.

you may think "well, you can have speed of growth", but the units of growth which the Guinness Book of records is using is in g/year, so weight, rather than distance.

(aside) please note these helpful / pedant posts are not being done as a host, but as a previous competitor trying to keep up the quality of answers. After all, everyone knows that the first step to success in an exam or test is Read the question very carefully

[ 27. September 2006, 08:05: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tectonic plates move at between 2 and 10 cm per year. Ken Livingstone plans to catch them with speed cameras in the near future.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re reading questions carefully:

Presented for your consideration.

[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
I love thinking outside the box in my replies.
This is not only out of the box, but out of the house, down the street and around the corner by the little pub where they serve a tasty counter meal when the chef's not too hung over from the night before.

Know it well, do you? [Biased]

BTW, you might like Terry Prachett's novel "Mort".

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

No deliberate plagiarism but stylistically very similar. I would be curious as to whether this does mimic a Pratchett quote?
The closest I can get to is 'I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.' Pratchett

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Style-wise I immediately thought of Douglas Adams.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to nominate Jenson Button's Honda, which typically goes at zero miles per hour for the duration of any Grand Prix. (See the fifth or sixth paragraph).

I too thought PADYS's effort was very Prattchettian.

[Edited to correct a typo - DL]

[ 27. September 2006, 11:26: Message edited by: davelarge ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Zero miles an hour?

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terry Fox ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day on one leg, and a prosthetic, in 1980 in his bid to highten the awareness of, and raise funds for, cancer research, in the Marathon of Hope, which was cut because cancer appeared in his lungs.

Each year, hundreds of thousands of Canadians take part in the "Terry Fox Run" in honor of this Canadian who died 25 years ago, and have raised over $400 Million in the process.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to nominate the kingda Ka rocket which will have you losing your lunch at 128 mph.

[Projectile]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here is my pick.

Does this mean that since we're all on the Earth, we have to add 18.5 MPS (plus all the other calculations re the Solar system, Galaxy, etc.) to all our calculations? [Confused]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't recommend taking the maximum speed from this site because that would result in death -though they DO say that 'the dead travel fast'.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Here's another website relating to Speed, sadly it doesn't say how fast he normally goes.

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
AND SO WE BEGIN FOR REAL ...

First Round Casualties for failing to post:
Hazey Jane

Thank Goodness for that. I wasn't sure whether I'd have the resolve not to get involved!

Good luck to the remaining contestants. [Yipee]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Zero miles an hour?

Minor statistical variation. I said nothing about the variance of the speed of Mr Button's car.

8op

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Here is my pick.

Does this mean that since we're all on the Earth, we have to add 18.5 MPS (plus all the other calculations re the Solar system, Galaxy, etc.) to all our calculations? [Confused]
We could, but it wouldn't matter, since adding the same amount to every number doesn't affect the distances from the average.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

But didn't we have the speed of the Enterprise as one entry? That doesn't have to be on Earth!

And of course, we all remember what Mr Einstein said in relation to doublethink's entry 8o)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
42 seconds : Wembley's fastest ever FA cup final goal.It was scored by Chelsea's Roberto Di Matteo, against Boro in 1997. The 1st cup I ever saw them win [Smile]

PS, I don't understand averages, or numbers really, how did I end up trying to explain tens and units every day??

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The X-43A at Mach 10 is a smidgen faster than the 43A Creamtealand bus. Especially during the rush hour.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
davelarge just emailed me to say "technically 42 seconds isn't a speed".

what?? but seconds is a type of speed? my head hurts [Waterworks] [Waterworks] I shall monitor the speed of which my head explodes and keep you all posted.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

I love you all.

This round has impressed me.

I have gained insight, laughed out loud, and I know that you are joining me on the journey that I designed this quiz to be.

Thankyou all.

[Overused]

[brick wall] Papa Smurf. Lighten up. Thanks.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:

what?? but seconds is a type of speed? my head hurts [Waterworks] [Waterworks] I shall monitor the speed of which my head explodes and keep you all posted.

Technically, I could have disqualified a number of entries for a variety of reasons but we are still at the fun end of the quiz. Weird entries are the entertaining ones at the moment and I love yours which is one of the weirdest.

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

aw, thanks quizmaster. of course, by the end of the quiz, you'll be bored rigid by chelsea related answers, the only thing i know about! ij x

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by icklejen:

If you asked a physicist, she'd say that a speed has to have dimensions [distance]/[time], eg. metres per second, miles per hour or furlongs per fortnight.

I'm not a physicist, so I'd say anything that is [something] per unit [time] can count. So, if you're looking for a speed we could say "1 goal per 42 seconds" is the fastest speed for a first goal.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016