homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: BA bans the cross (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: BA bans the cross
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Thanks for posting the picture Rat - I was about to look for one as that's my memory of the BA uniform too. Hard to imagine any necklace that couldn't be concealed underneath it.

Whereas my memory was a open-necked blouse (possibly blue with a pattern on it) whereby it was quite hard to see how the cross could be hidden under it.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Okay, You've all convinced me. I'm going to run right out and get a big fat ol' metal cross and hang it from a thick chain around my neck like a choker and walk right into Radiology tomorrow.

You deserve your Darwin Award if you're too stupid to get a wooden one.
Sarcasm, honeybunches. Look into it when you get your head out of your ass.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's always a conflict between needing to be flexible and sensitive, and needing to have clear rules we can refer to, in order to avoid accusations of discrimination. These two issues, the wearing of a veil and the wearing of a crucifix or cross, seem to cut right across that conflict. Neither are compulsory according to the texts of the two faiths, but both have significant emotional and religious implications for the people concerned.

At which point I hesitate and don't know what to say next. I have a lot of sympathy with the French approach of banning all outward faith symbols within public institutions, at least then everyone is on the same footing. No crosses, stars of David or Hijabs. I'd happily take off my ring with the cross on it if it was going to help. But that is France, here I can see such a policy causing a lot of trouble.

I don't know, I just wish everyone would calm down about it. I love that phrase, "people of the book", which I am told Muslims use to describe those of us of the Abrahamic faiths. After having initial reactions like many of us to these issues, on reflection I'd like to dwell on that commonality more than on crosses and veils.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You idiot, health and safety is one of the major reasons to have a dress code.

Another being image.

Hey, since neither BA nor British Midland referred to health and safety, and British Midland referred to image, which one might it be? G'won. Have a guess.

Yeah. Well done! Image. That means your inane rambling is a waste of space.

quote:
People are stupid (as your every post on this thread seems to prove)
You've been my inspiration, babe.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Okay, You've all convinced me. I'm going to run right out and get a big fat ol' metal cross and hang it from a thick chain around my neck like a choker and walk right into Radiology tomorrow.

You deserve your Darwin Award if you're too stupid to get a wooden one.
Sarcasm, honeybunches.
Take the plank out of your own eye and learn to recognise it first, woolbrain

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
At which point I hesitate and don't know what to say next. I have a lot of sympathy with the French approach of banning all outward faith symbols within public institutions, at least then everyone is on the same footing.

There's also the pragmatic approach, which is the one I favour, where everyone is allowed to wear their faith symbols openly if they so choose. Obviously there would need to be some measure of negotiation, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of negotiation (well, unless you're an exec at BA when it seems there's plenty wrong with it).

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the ESL teacher who wishes to cover her face (including mouth) or an abortion nurse who refuses (theoretical) to help with abortions after her conversion? Should everyone have the right to do whatever they think is right? What if the sign of my religion is a swastika?

[ 16. October 2006, 17:54: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My religion expressly requires me to hunt down and strangle people that make a ridiculous fuss over minor slights. Particularly with respect to corporate interference with quasi-religious bling.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's tough Gwai to draw lines, but we do all in the end put that "line in the sand" according to our values. I'm still not sure where I put mine on this issue.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Rook, what is the difference between religious bling and quasi-religious bling?

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
What about the ESL teacher who wishes to cover her face (including mouth) or an abortion nurse who refuses (theoretical) to help with abortions after her conversion? Should everyone have the right to do whatever they think is right? What if the sign of my religion is a swastika?

It's perfectly reasonable to disallow religious trappings that directly impedes my ability to carry out my professional duties. It's also perfectly reasonable to disallow me because of attitudes I have because of my faith, that are at odds with the ones I must necessarily to hold and/or promulgate as part of my job. Apart from that, people should be allowed to meet the requirements (whether you think they're requirements or not) of whatever faith they hold to, whether those involve 'jewellery', bangles, headdresses or whatever.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think BA would say that it is consistent with your guidelines, Dingy Sailor. If chains are forbidden at her work then insisting on wearing her cross on a chain is surely to be said to be against the attitude of following orders or as they call it these days "team spirit."

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If chains are forbidden at her work then insisting on wearing her cross on a chain is surely to be said to be against the attitude of following orders or as they call it these days "team spirit."

Or as they call it outside the asylum, "sticking to the fucking contract you signed when you started working there".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our management are bringing in a uniform policy which didn't exist before. I'm sitting here thinking just how much trouble I could create. Maybe I should get a religious facial tattoo. See what happens then.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
If chains are forbidden at her work then insisting on wearing her cross on a chain is surely to be said to be against the attitude of following orders or as they call it these days "team spirit."

Or as they call it outside the asylum, "sticking to the fucking contract you signed when you started working there".
That's fine except, according to a BBC report, she was only asked to hide her cross after she attended a course on diversity. In which case, she didn't sign up to it when she started working there.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I doubt they changed her contract after the course. They just started enforcing it.

Marvin,
There's a world outside the asylum?

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In the UK, if either doctors or nurses don't believe they should be helping to do abortions, they are allowed not to participate.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
I think BA would say that it is consistent with your guidelines, Dingy Sailor. If chains are forbidden at her work then insisting on wearing her cross on a chain is surely to be said to be against the attitude of following orders or as they call it these days "team spirit."

No, because my point was not about whether something breaks a rubbishy little rule (which the airline may or may not have actually had) but about whether it affects my ability to do my job. If I'm meant to be teaching RE to a bunch of kids, my view that atheists should go out and kill all people of faith would count. If I work on a bouncy castle, my religious belief that I should never take off my high heeled shoes would count. In both cases, I couldn't do my job properly because of my religious beliefs. Whereas a company refusing to compromise as far as letting someone wear a small cross symbol because of their religious beliefs is going way over the top. If the rules don't allow that when they allow other faiths to have far more ostentatious (and dangerous) displays of themselves, they're bad rules and should be changed.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
Rook, what is the difference between religious bling and quasi-religious bling?

One requires me to strangle you with more reverance than the other.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Ok!

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whereas a company refusing to compromise as far as letting someone wear a small cross symbol because of their religious beliefs is going way over the top.

Where did BA say she couldn't wear it? As far as I can see she's being asked to move it the approximately 2 mms from one side of her shirt to another. Not exactly the start of a pogrom is it?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin,
There's a world outside the asylum?

Gwai, have you read Doug Adams' "So Long, & Thanks For All The Fish"?
[Killing me]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What if the sign of my religion is a swastika?

The you'd be a Hindu. And you should have every right to display the sign in public. Its engraved in large friendly relief on the the walls of India House in Aldwych, right next door to the BBC World Service.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
That's fine except, according to a BBC report, she was only asked to hide her cross after she attended a course on diversity. In which case, she didn't sign up to it when she started working there.

So BA made her attend a course on diversity, and then insisted she display more uniformity...
Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Bass:
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:

So BA made her attend a course on diversity, and then insisted she display more uniformity...
Thank you. I was wondering when somebody would notice this little inconsistency.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If BA have only recently issued this demand and have apparently been perfectly happy for her to wear the cross thus up until now, then their insistence that she remove it could amount to a purported unilateral variation of her contract of employment, which she is entitled to reject; if they then push the point, they could find themselves in an Industrial Tribunal. Presumably m'learned friends have explained this to them?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
What if the sign of my religion is a swastika?

The you'd be a Hindu. And you should have every right to display the sign in public. Its engraved in large friendly relief on the the walls of India House in Aldwych, right next door to the BBC World Service.
Fair enough. I just think that any freedom can intrude into other's space eventually. I'm thinking religious images featuring child pornography, for instance.

[ 17. October 2006, 15:56: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Bass:

Thank you. I was wondering when somebody would notice this little inconsistency.
Maybe she went to the diversity thang, noticed other people with religious wear and decided she wanted in on that too. Or maybe BA had a good a reason to send her to the diversity thang, and she's resentful about it and has decided to make a stink. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
quote:
Whereas a company refusing to compromise as far as letting someone wear a small cross symbol because of their religious beliefs is going way over the top.

Where did BA say she couldn't wear it? As far as I can see she's being asked to move it the approximately 2 mms from one side of her shirt to another. Not exactly the start of a pogrom is it?
Okay, I'll change one word then.

"...as far as letting someone display a small cross symbol..."

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

So because she happens to believe in Christ she should have the right to wear cross to broadcast that to the world? Why ever would BA want to have its employees broadcasting their opinions. Perhaps another employee hates Christianity. Should she be able to wear a crossed out cross symbol? It could certainly represent her religious beliefs.

--------------------

Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No, because my point was not about whether something breaks a rubbishy little rule (which the airline may or may not have actually had) but about whether it affects my ability to do my job. If I'm meant to be teaching RE to a bunch of kids, my view that atheists should go out and kill all people of faith would count. If I work on a bouncy castle, my religious belief that I should never take off my high heeled shoes would count. In both cases, I couldn't do my job properly because of my religious beliefs. Whereas a company refusing to compromise as far as letting someone wear a small cross symbol because of their religious beliefs is going way over the top. If the rules don't allow that when they allow other faiths to have far more ostentatious (and dangerous) displays of themselves, they're bad rules and should be changed.
I agree with you here. All safety issues aside, if other religions are going to be able to wear their symbols, Christians should be able to as well. Diversity and fair play are two-way streets.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
So because she happens to believe in Christ she should have the right to wear cross to broadcast that to the world?

That depends on whether turbans, hijabs, etc, or not. Since they do, then yes she should.

quote:
Perhaps another employee hates Christianity. Should she be able to wear a crossed out cross symbol?
Yup

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So because she happens to believe in Christ she should have the right to wear cross to broadcast that to the world?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That depends on whether turbans, hijabs, etc, or not. Since they do, then yes she should.

quote:
Perhaps another employee hates Christianity. Should she be able to wear a crossed out cross symbol?

Yup

No, crosses aren't an essential in anyone's book of christianity-at least not displayed outside your clothing. Hijabs are. That's the difference. Perhaps the whole point of this is to try and minimise the religious outwardness of the company image? By limiting all religious clothing to just the stuff that's a neccessity, like a Hijab or a turban.

And please, do you really think that people should be allowed to display items of clothing which are derogatory towards other faiths?

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
No, crosses aren't an essential in anyone's book of christianity-at least not displayed outside your clothing. Hijabs are. That's the difference. ...

No, Zorro, people keep trying to tell you: Neither is "essential" -- except to the individual who feels strongly about wearing one or the other. Both are a matter of choice. Both should be permitted -- or neither should -- as long as we're just talking about dress codes. And there really and truly are people who feel that their crosses are just as essential as someone else's hijab.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Dingy Sailor,
At least you're consistent. I disagree but I can respect that.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

Zorro, since we're talking about belief here - that's right, we're talking about what people *believe* - then if someone thinks it's essential to wear a cross, then it's essential in their *faith*. And since some muslim women don't wear the hijab, how can you say it's somehow objectively more essential than wearing a cross is? It's got to be pretty essential to someone's faith if they risk their job over it.

As for symbols being offensive, well my understanding of Christianity (and one heck of a lot of non-Christians' understanding of Christianity) says that everyone who isn't a Christian has got rather a lot of stuff wrong, and could quite possibly suffer eternal consequences for that. Ditto Islam and non-muslims. If you choose to be offended by someone saying you're wrong (and especially if they're saying you'll have serious problems in the next life because of it) then any religion that cares to make truth claims for itself is offensive.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had converse on this topic today at work with three colleagues- two sikh men (neither of whom wear turbans) and one muslim woman (who wears the hijab). None of them could believe that BA could possibly be acting properly- all defended their right to express their faith through clothing and jewellery (and yes, it was a sikh man who used that word of the bangle), and were flabberghasted that a christian woman was prevented from so doing in the same organisation. And all this in the spirit of multiculturalism and multi-faith Britain. Multicultural has to mean just that.

--------------------
auntie di

Posts: 586 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re required attire for Muslim women:

See Wikipedia's in-progress article about "hijab". The rules seem quite complicated and varied. There are also guidelines for men, and general rules about modesty.

As I and others have said many times, it seems that the rule is about JEWELRY, not religion. I took a quick look at the Sikh bangle ("kara") online. It's a bracelet, and I gather that the BA prohibition is for neck jewelry. If the prohibition is supposed to be of ALL jewelry yet the kara is allowed, then IMHO other religious jewelry should be allowed. But if only neck jewelry is prohibited, then either tuck your necklace inside your uniform or wear a bracelet or ring that shows your symbol.

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
And please, do you really think that people should be allowed to display items of clothing which are derogatory towards other faiths?

Yes. A few years ago, someone I know walked past a girl in the street who was wearing a t-shirt with the caption "Jesus died for his sins not mine" on the front.

It's hard to supress my contempt for someone with the poor sense, poor taste and poor manners to choose a garment like that. I doubt whether she would have had the intellect to understand quite how offensive it was to a Christian.

But she has the right to wear it in her own time.

Of course this is a separate issue to what an employer may reasonable require in terms of dress code in a contract of employment.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
if only neck jewelry is prohibited, then either tuck your necklace inside your uniform or wear a bracelet or ring that shows your symbol.

FWIW.

Right. I've mentioned a couple of times I wear a large ring with a cross on it, silver on black, and while I feel for my part it's less in your face than something round my neck, people do remark on it. There's usually a compromise and a way around problems like this, and by doing something less typical or up front you can often find you make more of a statement.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Often fly Sri Lankan Airline and have often noticed the stewardess wear a Cross or a Crucfix.
Interesting as Sri Lanka is Budhist country and there have been problems with churches being attacked there. Airline is run by one of the Emirate airlines.

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lady in the case was interviewed on The Heaven and Earth Show on Sunday morning. Admittedly I wasn't in the best of moods, but she didn't impress me.

I just have to mention that I was right (nyah!) - Gloria asked her if her uniform featured a scarf up to the neck that would cover up any necklace (religious or not) and the lady agreed. Unfortunately this line of enquiry wasn't pursued.

Later, she was asked if she was willing to lose her job over the issue, whereupon she said at some length (I'm paraphrasing) that the Lord would punish her on judgement day for not displaying her cross and that she feared the Lord's wrath more than BA. Unfortunately Gloria didn't point out that fear of the Lord's wrath hadn't seemed to prey much on her mind for the last 5 or so years she'd worked for BA, or ask her when the Lord had revealed to her this special plan for the punishment of people who wear uniforms up to their necks. Instead, she nodded sympathetically, at which point I got irritated and went and did something else.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Nadia Eweida's interview with Fox News' Hannity and Colmes, were she to wear the cross under her garments it would mean "being ashamed" of her faith. Now, we may not all share that particular interpretation of what 'being ashamed' includes, but if that's how she interprets it and, provided it is not posing a H&S risk, then she has the right to do it and BA need to back off.

[ETA - she seems to have taken her story to Fox to get the US Religious Right on her side. While I don't have a lot of time for the latter group, if they decide to boycott BA if BA sack her then, frankly, BA will have brought that upon themselves]

[ 25. October 2006, 14:43: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
riverfalls
Shipmate
# 9168

- Posted      Profile for riverfalls   Email riverfalls   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An aeroplane is in the shape of a cross

--------------------
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/readings-listen.html

Posts: 1611 | From: Stoke On Trent | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Only after the tail falls off, and before it crashes into the side of a mountain.
riverfalls
Shipmate
# 9168

- Posted      Profile for riverfalls   Email riverfalls   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Only after the tail falls off, and before it crashes into the side of a mountain.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Cool]

--------------------
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/readings-listen.html

Posts: 1611 | From: Stoke On Trent | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I think the Lord will punish her for more on judgement day than for not making sure she displays her cross. It seems like her point (and BAs) is not whether she can wear the cross, but only whether she can make sure the public sees it. In which case, the argument isn't whether it is the same as the turban or the hijab, but whether if, say, a turban-wearing Sikh, if ordered by BA as part of the dress code to put the turban under something (assuming it applies to all headgear, turbans, yarmulkes, lace nets of the Mennonites, nun's wimples, etc) so as not to display them publicly for some reason. I don't actually know the full rules for all these, but at the core most of them seem to be about "covering up as respect for God" to put it as condensed as I can. Further cover would then not contravene anything, yes?

All the Lenten scripture readings about piety, what others see and jolly well hiding your light under a bushel come to mind quickly.

I'm always struck by how people are aware of their rights to freedom from religious oppression/discrimination are guaranteed by human rights legislation, etc (although I'm also struck by how their rights are next to never what they perceive them to be, since they seem to pick up all their legal education in this area from reading Sun headlines), and yet never seem to grasp that no where is there legislation giving you the right to a job, and certainly not giving you the right to any particular job. If there is such legislation, could someone please point me to it? Because I'm desiring something that lets me sleep in late, work 20 hours a week without breaking a sweat, and pays a minimum of 2 million p.a. Thanks in advance for your help.

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016