homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: I should like to point out that this is not "my busy time of year." (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: I should like to point out that this is not "my busy time of year."
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"That's blasphemous!"

My response normally is "Oh fuck off, you really don't know the meaning of the word"

Usual response to that is "You swore! I thought Christains weren't allowed to swear"

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Err, thanks Max for the strange addition to the thread. Try not to drink and post in future.

And KenW, go for it - I'd suddenly have a whole lot of free time over Christmas [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Err, thanks Max for the strange addition to the thread. Try not to drink and post in future.

Err... Sarky?
"Try not to drink and post in future" sounds like it could be a really fun thread leading up to the New Year's festivities.
People could try to predict drunken, moronic responses one could place on a hypothetical hell thread during 2007.

Totally pointless, wasted, drunken comments to be placed on a thread whining that the weather appears to be somewhat cold in January.
Insulting, sarcastic comments someone could add to a Valentine's day rant begun by a poster who obviously isn't getting any, in 2007.
Comments a drunk might make on a thread suggesting Shipmates watch their language.

Drunken comments which might be posted in hell during 2007 may not be appreciated by the hosts all that much, however; so is this a thread you would sooner not see attempted?

[ 07. December 2006, 13:29: Message edited by: Mostly Noble Pixels ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Max was sharing a thing he hates to hear.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP...

A conversation that I have frequently:

Other: "So, what do you do?"

Me: "I'm studying for a PhD in physics"

Other: "Oh"

[pause]

[more pause]

Other: "Well, that's iiiiiinteresting."

I mean, for goodness sake, if you don't have anything to say then just say that! I don't expect my chosen profession to be interesting, so don't try and pretend that it is!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Back to the OP...

A conversation that I have frequently:

Other: "So, what do you do?"

Me: "I'm studying for a PhD in physics"

Other: "Oh"

[pause]

[more pause]

I mean, for goodness sake, if you don't have anything to say then just say that! I don't expect my chosen profession to be interesting, so don't try and pretend that it is!

[Roll Eyes]

Hell, one could get five minutes of conversation (at least) just by asking you what kind of physics that involves and could you explain it in laymen's terms? Who knows, one could learn something. But, noooo....

Sounds like the kind of idiot whose idea of a conversation is weather and box scores.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're just nitwits. I think physics is interesting--it's just not something I'm good at!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:

They're probably just intimidated. Most people know little about physics.

On the other hand, you might refer them to the original "Twilight Zone" episode "Little Girl Lost", where a family is very thankful to know a physicist that they can call in the middle of the night!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it's a busy time of year for me! Since Dec 1st I have had to or will have to:

• try and work enough supply hours to pay for presents, extra food etc
  • buy and wrap said presents, send what needs sending
  • prepare and serve said food
  • write and send cards
  • do the three months backlog of housework that's built up before my sons and whatever guests they invite are around
  • write two sermons
  • Lead or assist at four or five services per week and attend several more
  • find time to make an appearance at numerous carol services and Christmas celebrations for various local schools and church groups
  • fit in three meetings on different evenings that can't wait till after Christmas
  • visit relatives and write and deliver services for two funerals in the next ten days (plus burials of ashes which are separate services) and support the bereaved
  • attend a farewell lunch
  • a whole load of other stuff I've done or will be doing for or with people that don't come to church much but do show up at Christmas.

Quite honestly, if someone says anything to me that implies they've thought about me as a human being rather than 'the curate' even for half a second I'm touched rather than annoyed, even if they don't understand the minutiae of my role. I probably don'tunderstand the ins and outs of their job either.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arrietty: It sounds like you need to change denomination [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't very Hellish but it is still such a privilege to be able to do all this stuff (having taken the pretty route to ordination) that I wouldn't dream of it.

Looking at that list, getting my husband/children to be a bit more proactive could be good though!

ETA - plus I don't have the beard for being an Orthodox priest! [Biased]

[ 08. December 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some lovely, well meaning older-than-fifty friends who, along with other things, send me all those old age jokes via e-mail.

I'm glad I have lived as long as I have, I look forward to living longer and getting older, and in the meantime I am not going to give in to all the traditional old age baggage.

So there!

[Razz]

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It irritates the sh*t out of me at this time of year when people say "It's Christmas!".

No, it's not, you litugically ignorant fool, it's Advent now; Christmas starts on December 25th. If you must have Christmas trees and decorations and stuff, they go up on December 24th and down on twelfth night. When shops start taking down the decorations before they close on Christmas Eve, I just know they have been using it all to con us into spending lots of money on crappy things we don't need and don't really want.

I think I'll go and lie down now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

That's damn right! Christmas parties in November! It's not even Advent then!

The real fustration is that when it actually gets to Christmas, we've all been doing Christmas for so long that we're bored of it and it turns out to be a complete anti-climax.

--------------------
Brian Clough

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it has certainly been busy in this benefice today: 3 eucharists - said, sung and said with hymns. 2 performances of the Wakefield Cycle of the Nativity play by the local theatre school, an Advent carol service and there is a late evening alt.worship service.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless, of course, your church doesn't do liturgy, or you've never experienced it, in which case it *is* Christmas time, the time roughly a few weeks prior to Christmas Day and perhaps a few days afterward, depending on your culture.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup - definately the Christmas season for me from the 1st of december until new year. I know Christmas *day* isnt til the 25th, but Id expect work/school/uni/ every other group to have a "christmas party" or "christmas dinner" before then. To get upset as the world/a lot of christians dont follow your liturgical practice is rather foolish IMHO
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does it have to be a flipping contest between who is busier, the laity or the clergy? THERE's a pet peeve.

In the last five years, I've moved from 1) full-time employed, to 2) employed and training to 3) full-time clergy.

I don't flippin' work less than I did before - why on earth would I?

How about all sides of this conversation - clergy and laity - get over themselves, stop their whining and accept that fact that most sincere Christians probably all do quite a lot to help others?

No, I don't lounge around in my PJs and neither do I think that you do. Now let's all get a life.

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
Why does it have to be a flipping contest between who is busier, the laity or the clergy?

It's not. If anything it's a flipping contest between Fregory and the rest of the world/rest of the Ship/Anglican church/Church of England/some other large group [Biased] He said that he wasn't busy, and then a load of us replied "Bully for you, we are. Lots of people are, so don't moan when other people recognise that lots of people are busy this time of year and don't moan when they ask if you're also busy."

My post about becoming a vicar to get an easier Christmas was tongue-in-cheek. I'll include subtitles for the terminally earnest next time shall I? [Razz]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fregoratius Contra Mundum?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

And also with you?

Sorry, wrong response [Biased]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
If anything it's a flipping contest between Fregory and the rest of the world/rest of the Ship/Anglican church/Church of England/some other large group [Biased]

I'll include subtitles for the terminally earnest next time shall I? [Razz]

As much as I hate to take sides with one of the Ship's more - ahem - self-assured posters, saying "It's not my busy time of year" is quite different from saying "I'm not busy". [Razz]

Other than the fact that I'm a new minister and trying to cope with preparing 4 times 2 Christmas services (something that I assume will get easier as I get more experience), it's not "the" busy time of year in my denomination. If you look at my diary for October - when all our business meetings are supposed to happen - I had 4 or 5 appointments every day of the week. AND people didn't think I was "supposed" to be busy, so I got some remarks from various peple about why I shouldn't be saying "no" to things.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I'm busy alright ... just not more busy or less busy than at other times of the year. As has so often been said here it's the pig ignorant notion that teachers and clergy are part timers / time wasters that gets up my nose. I know they could be mean that I am "extra-extra-beyond-the-ordinary" busy at this time, but somehow I don't think so.

By the way if you are going to sport yourself in this over-heated infernal enclosure by mangling my name at least do it in Greek. Thank you.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
By the way if you are going to sport yourself in this over-heated infernal enclosure by mangling my name at least do it in Greek.

Yes, let's be polite enough to mangle Fregger's name in the language of his choosing.

Or not.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thread is suggesting itself. I notice even Fr Gregory is claiming to be 'busy' - whether with pride or not I can't say. What the hell is the use of 'busy' clergy?? I can't count the number of times people have apologised for troubling me, or excusing themselves for not discussing some important spiritual or personal matter, because 'I know you're so busy'. And we like to project that image too. Paying homage to the protestant work ethic instead of to the gospel. [Mad]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... or if you like, I'm always bone idle. It matters not to me ... so long as no special significance is attached to Christmas.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
It matters not to me ... so long as no special significance is attached to Christmas.

Aye, after all, it's only when we celebrate the Incarnation. So, not all that big a deal eh, Father Φρεγωριως ?
[Razz]

(How's my Greek mangling?)

[For non-Greek readers, it's a letter-by-letter translation of Fregorios.]

[ 12. December 2006, 09:43: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016