homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!" (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!"
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And since I've already wasted too much worktime..

***comet climbs on personal favorite soapbox***

furthermore:

I challenge all parents everywhere to bring your kids into the kitchen. buy foods in their raw state. make your own bread. create your own spaghetti sauce. it doesn't have to be gourmet, but it's time for you to rediscover and therefore introduce your kids to where their calories come from.

brownies from the store are so easy. make some. from scratch! (burn that box of scarey brown powder!) first, you put the effort in, second, you and your children see what elements make those brownies. or the spaghetti. or that apple fritter.

Ask your kids to do a math assignment - you're making a pot of stew. to the stew, you are adding a cup of cooked chicken (at X calories) a pound of potatoes (at Y cals) and 2 pounds of carrots (at Z calories) how many calories in the completed stew? how many per serving? how many for dad if he uses the big mixing bowl for his serving?

how many to have ice cream for dessert?

And have them plan meals. they need to have their protiens, their veggies, their starches. what goes together? what tastes good? and compare a spaghetti dinner to a chicken salad, caloric, fat content, protein. make them think about it rather than considering a bowl a cheerios and a beer dinner when they go off to college!

and this isn't just for fat kids and fat families - it's for everyone. I have skinny kids and a skinny husband. skinny people have heart attacks too.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my [Hot and Hormonal] , I am now reading the article instead of listening to news reports and I see that it was Vicodin and pot, not booze, that caused the starlet to drive crazy.

However, at 85 lb., alcohol would be a danger too and could be dangerous both to overindulger and others just like any other drug.

Looking at the picture, I am also wondering what happened to one side of her nose....

M

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That assumes that parents are at home to do all of that Comet.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not really Pants - until I got sick I worked 60+ hours a week, and i'm down to 40. and i'm single-parenting.

and I'm far from perfect. but it doesn't have to be a super duper roast each night. soup is dead easy and quick. make bread on the weekends, or start smaller with the brownies. salads are also dead easy, so is stir-fry. it's a matter of educating yourself (as a parent) and then getting the kids in the room, TV etc off, to watch you do it. let them asks questions. explain things. give them jobs.

I know it sounds like a huge thing, but it isn't. and, for me and my family, it is worth it to see my kids making their own lunches and making sure to remember a protien source and at least two servings of fruits, etc.

(ETA: yes, I know there's a lot of parents who are absentee and determined not to do stuff like this. but I am very uncomfortable with it being all on the school's shoulders, or the doctors, or that poor kid when they're 30 or 40 and somehow they missed the idea that, say, graham crackers are as bad as a cookie/biscuit. so yes, I'm dreaming. but it starts one parent at a time.)

[ 15. December 2006, 20:22: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
I think that handing out pamphlets to fat people when they buy clothes to point out to them that they are fat is an excellent idea.

I do hope that the education process will be extended to others who put themselves and the economy at risk, such as people who purchase alcohol more than once a fortnight (Stop! Your Liver is Dying! The Health System Can't Afford You!), cigarettes (Stop! You Stink and Will Die Soon! Don't Expect Our Health System to Give You New Lungs!), ridiculously fast cars (Stop! You Will Die Soon and Kill Others in the Effort! Our Health System Can't Be Expected To Sew Your Guts Back In!), houses they can't afford (Stop! You Will Go Broke and Your Children Will Be Homeless! Don't Expect Public Housing From Us!) and those who have sex with the wrong people or the right people for the wrong reasons (Stop! You Will Die! We Can't Keep Giving You Drugs for the Clap, You Know!).

Terrific System.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Gwai - then that's not the helpful kind of phys ed, is it? it needs to actually teach people how to keep their bodies fit and healthy, and why that is necessary.

I don't believe it exists. The only PE I was ever exposed to was the bad kind, and I've heard a lot of horror stories from a lot of people to the same effect.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Chasee#1 is in a school with a great phys ed program, I've even guest taught and the kids' knowledge is impressive. on the other hand, #1's school (a HS, of course) just blows. it's where all the dumb jocks jog around grinning and everyone else feels wretched and the teacher is rarely in the room.

so yes - massive reform is necessary, but I think it's possible.

[ 15. December 2006, 21:01: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
massive reform is necessary

Boy, that ought to be tattooed somewhere. Everywhere.

(Although it sort of makes me think of ‘Animal Farm’ too, come to think of it.)

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another large person checking in.

If the larget clothing shop had given me "helpful advice" when purchasing clothes, I would have avoided shopping there. I have started to lose weight as I want to have a BMI of 35 (which according to the figures is still obsese, but fit enough to get into a public service!)

Re: the sport in schools thing, we were talking about itat work yesterday, and my colleague (who is stick thin - but thinks she needs to lose weight?) said that she hated sport at school, it was only until she was doing it for herself that it made a difference. When I joined the gym, I had huge issues about running, etc (the post is somewhere else on the board) however I go to the gym for ME! and because I want to enjoy better health.

I know what is healthy, and things should be eaten or drunk in moderation. This begins in education both at home and at school, by teaching kids how to run a home (ie eating properly,) not designing sodding cereal packets! [Mad] .

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
comet said: taking the freaking soda pop out of the schools!

Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes. And "sports drinks", which are also candy in a bottle.

I have long been tempted to print up some sticky labels and paste them on every soda machine in the school that says "If you drink one can of soda a day, in addition to your regular meals, you will gain 15 pounds this year."

That's based on a 12 oz. can. Many kids drink the 20 oz. bottles.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Tovarichina Duchessa, in my parish we are having three skinny women. One is on strict anti-cholesterol diet to keep her from dropping dead in middle of liturgy.

Perhaps if your liturgies weren't four hours long, she might have more chance of living?
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

You know, even if it (ie. fizzy drinks) were taken out of schools, I'd say that kids who drink it by the gallon, would still drink it by the gallon at home.

I am constantly amazed at the numbers of people who take out trolleys full of Coke in 2 litre bottles from the supermarket every time there is a 20 cent discount on that line. They must live on the stuff.

And it is true that these people are not of greyhound stature. Mind you, to lug home 50 bottles of sugared brown stuff, you'd need a bit of bulk.

[X-post]

[ 15. December 2006, 21:38: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spend a decade as a competitive dancer (colorguard, which is basically spear and swordfighting camoflauged with sequins and silk). During competition season, I rehearsed for 15-40 hours a week to perform three different 8 to 15 minute non-stop routines (on top of a full school load on top of a part-time job).

Every time I went to the doctor, I got lectured for being too fat, since I was 5'4" tall and weighed 240 pounds (1.62 meters and 108 kilos).

I'm no longer in fighting trim, mostly because after many years of telling my doctors "My joints hurt" and they retorting, "eat less and exercise more", I finally found a doctor who knew his ass from a hole in the ground and diagnosed me with a genetic condition that is characterized by rapid deterioration of cartilage in all joints of the body. Which, oddly enough, was accelerated by the decade of martial arts, competitive and regular dance, soccer, and tennis that my previous doctors had all but demanded I perform.

So, me and my size 26 butt trust doctors and 'experts' about as far as they can throw me.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having that degenerative condition doesn't mean you're not fat, Spiffy. And I doubt very much that you did all that sporting activity just because a doctor told you to.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I sincerely doubt, RuthW, that you are half as stupid as you sound.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is hard when doctors give you the green light and encourage you to continue doing actions that harm your body without looking into things on a deeper level to discover what is really going on. Plain and simple. I hear what Spiffy is saying and have my own version of her story albeit slightly different.

I am older and more jaded than she* is, I already have accepted it that this is sort of a dead horse that has more emotional impact than can be expressed in a computer letter generated median.

Spiffy, consider it part of your thorn in the side, like Paul, that some will refuse to understand. The sooner, the better.

*Spiffy

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RuthW and comet, you're right. Merely insulting people is a stupid approach for the purposes of affecting anybody's behaviour. And I really don't mean to offer any support for the specific idea of tranquilizing people by the entrance to the shower-curtains-with-sleeves shops and sticking tags at the backs of their necks (where they can't reach) touting their obesity. Or whatever the original plan was.

However, I do find myself at the opposite end of the argument if the fat bastards expect "mind your own business" or "I have a particular excuse" as sufficient reason to drop the entire argument.

Let's take this delightful bit of myopic irony:

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
I do hope that the education process will be extended to others who put themselves and the economy at risk, such as people who purchase alcohol more than once a fortnight (Stop! Your Liver is Dying! The Health System Can't Afford You!), cigarettes (Stop! You Stink and Will Die Soon! Don't Expect Our Health System to Give You New Lungs!), ridiculously fast cars (Stop! You Will Die Soon and Kill Others in the Effort! Our Health System Can't Be Expected To Sew Your Guts Back In!), houses they can't afford (Stop! You Will Go Broke and Your Children Will Be Homeless! Don't Expect Public Housing From Us!) and those who have sex with the wrong people or the right people for the wrong reasons (Stop! You Will Die! We Can't Keep Giving You Drugs for the Clap, You Know!).

It seems to me that alcohol and cigarettes are specifically labelled with warnings, there are government warnings about how "speed kills", and there are publicly-funded awareness campaigns promoting sexual abstinence. Moreover, I think that there also certain well-understood stigmas that go with each of these. Well, except for the housing one, but maybe there should be.

So, fundamentally, there's a lot of precedent for society in general trying to influence ourselves in a manner intended to promote aspects that are thought to be of some worth. And I think it makes sense that we should try to be self-improving. Why should public health, specifically the alarming rate of obesity, be the one aspect that's a no-no to even discuss?

Because some fat people are fucking touchy?

I'm sorry. Life's rough. I don't think it's wrong to consider some validly applied adjectives.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Moreover, I think that there also certain well-understood stigmas that go with each of these. Well, except for the housing one, but maybe there should be.

one of my goals in life is to convince the world what a Bad Idea the McMansions movement really is.

if I can move it in the right direction by heaping scorn on people who buy homes beyond their means, I shall do so. [Biased]

the rats drive up the housing market for the rest of us, so soon you have to make really obscene amounts to buy a sleazy one-room fixer upper.

it's the credit system, I tell ya. I could make a whole other long hell thread on that.

RooK - I think we're saying the same thing from different sides. the problem is people take it as black and white. to tell someone that they are overweight and need to do something to help themselves is not attacking them or being bigotted - but you have to understand that people with a lifetime of obesity have been taking it in the neck from every insecure bully yahoo to come along.

even stupid people pick on fat people. it's the bottom of the pecking order.

We do need to be able to have the discussion (as a society) but we need to approach the table knowing there is a huge iceburg of pain out there, and that pain is very real, and more importantly, no beaurocrat or teacher or health care professional will be listened to at all if they do not acknowlege and make allowances for some very real pain.

When you've spent your life hearing the siren FAT-so! FAT-so! echoing in your head from the voices all around you, and someone comes along and says, "we need to talk about your obesity," the first thing you're going to do is react as if you've been hit.

it's human nature.

I truly believe the answer is positive support, period - and chastising or pointing out what people know already is only making the problem worse. You think there is a single overweight person over the age of 2 who doesn't know it? Who wouldn't change it if they could?

(not attacking you, RooK, it's a rhetorical question)

I think the answer is in education, paving the way to lifestyle change, and to stop supporting the problem i.e. soda in the schools and burgers on the federally funded lunch programs.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can find no flaw with your post or your points, comet.

Except one.
Stupid people are worth less than fat people. That stupid people are picking on their superiors is merely a symptom of their stupidity.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Free Jack quipped:

quote:
Perhaps if your liturgies weren't four hours long....
The lower the animal fat and trans-fat in the diet, the longer one can stand without being tired. It's a paradox. If you don't eat before you go to church, you feel even better. Maybe it has something to do with the digestive system.

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Stupid people are worth less than fat people. That stupid people are picking on their superiors is merely a symptom of their stupidity.

A-men.

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

quote:

Let's take this delightful bit of myopic irony:

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:

It seems to me that alcohol and cigarettes are specifically labelled with warnings, there are government warnings about how "speed kills", and there are publicly-funded awareness campaigns promoting sexual abstinence. Moreover, I think that there also certain well-understood stigmas that go with each of these. Well, except for the housing one, but maybe there should be.

So, fundamentally, there's a lot of precedent for society in general trying to influence ourselves in a manner intended to promote aspects that are thought to be of some worth. And I think it makes sense that we should try to be self-improving. Why should public health, specifically the alarming rate of obesity, be the one aspect that's a no-no to even discuss?

Well, it was intended to be a tad ironic. Failed miserably.

I agree with what you say about warnings that are out there. When you buy a packet of fags, you get a warning that it will kill you. You don't give a toss. I've never seen anyone buying cigarettes change his or her mind when they see the warning.

Fat people generally don't enjoy buying clothes. It's a demoralising experience. Reminding them that they're fat by putting a phone number on the label will do diddly-squat though. The quickest and easiest way to deal with the issue will be to cut the tag off and bin it, straight away.

Heck, I agree with your points, RooK and comet. I'm all for thinning down society. I go out of my way to ensure that my kids are trim and stay that way. Ditto me. Ditto my husband. We are thin. We may be miserable, but none of us is going to die of any obesity-related disease.

I'm a food nazi. If I were Health Minister, Australians would all be living on bean sprouts and cottage cheese. However, thus far, I'm limited to my own family project.

I have been known to be a little zealous in spreading the word. I've got up quite a few noses here.

However, no matter that the "help line" might be very helpful, if you were to actually ring it, hardly anyone would. Warnings and suggestions on packets and labels do bugger all.

[ 16. December 2006, 04:21: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Duchess intoned:

quote:
duchessnova, in-training for Russian Orthodoxy World Domination

(Soothing voice.)

Duchess, come on back to the Light side of the Force. You know you want to. Pssst...we just got a shipment of state-of-the-art light sabers! You will get TWO of your very own, plus a combo mini-saber/bookmark for your steel-plated Bible, if you'll just come back!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Masha and duchess, stop your crusading about Orthodoxy. If you wish to discuss it any further, use PMs, or start a thread in Purg. If you just wish to give eachother high fives for knowing the in jokes of Orthodoxy, start a thread in AS.

Sarkycow, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As for the fatsos moaning that people now want to stigmatize your for being fat - HAH. That's justice.

Where were you bastards when people were victimizing the smokers? Standing with the smokers? I don't think so. You* were all too busy telling smokers that they were a drain on the NHS and they harmed other people, and so should either give up smoking or kill themselves.

So now I mock you. You should have to go outside to eat, and all your clothes need to be labelled: "WARNING, BEING FAT KILLS. INCREASED RISK OF HEART DISEASE." And people should feel free to lecture you every time they see you even looking at any food other than salad - "Shouldn't be eating fatty foods."

[Razz]

Sarkycow

*Apart from the fatsos who smoke: you're excluded from this rant [Smile]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
As for the fatsos moaning that people now want to stigmatize your for being fat - Where were you bastards when people were victimizing the smokers? . . . You should have to go outside to eat, and all your clothes need to be labelled: "WARNING, BEING FAT KILLS. INCREASED RISK OF HEART DISEASE."

Not the same thing, and you know it. Fat people don't spew cancerous lipids into the lungs of innocent bystanders. And there's no conclusive evidence that being fat (except for being grossly obese) kills or increases risk of heart disease. You smokers should be familiar with that line of arguing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Sorry, Sarkycow.

Mary

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The idea of encouraging cycling is a wonderful idea to improve the "Health of the Nation", but having had the biggest fattest year 9 (13-14 year olds) boys* jeer at me locking up my bike this week people are going to need re-educating: the car is king around here and anyone who doesn't drive is a loser.

* They have been dealt with, my evidence added to the allegations of bullying has had one excluded for 3 days, and the other is supposed to be reintegrating from the Behaviour Unit and is now coming back very, very slowly.

"Health of the Nation" was the Government plan to improve the UK health in the 1990s. Most of the targets have been missed.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Sorry, Sarkycow.

Mary

Me too. -dutch

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
*Apart from the fatsos who smoke: you're excluded from this rant [Smile]

Why ty Sarky.

chive (who is a fat arsed bitch because she likes to eat bad foods and is too lazy to exercise and would find health warnings on clothes just as easy to ignore as those on fags.)

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
As for the fatsos moaning that people now want to stigmatize your for being fat - Where were you bastards when people were victimizing the smokers? . . . You should have to go outside to eat, and all your clothes need to be labelled: "WARNING, BEING FAT KILLS. INCREASED RISK OF HEART DISEASE."

Not the same thing, and you know it. Fat people don't spew cancerous lipids into the lungs of innocent bystanders.
No, much more importantly you are influencing children - showing them that eating trashy foods is cool.

The amount of smokers is decreasing; the amount of overweight people is increasing. Smokers are probably as dangerous to other people as fat people are, if you factor in the influence on kids. [Razz]

Sarkycow

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The amount of smokers is decreasing; the amount of overweight people is increasing.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live the reasons for this are that there have been educational campaigns for decades, there is a high tax on tobacco, and smoking has been made illegal in more and more places. If the government wanted to develop similarly effective things to deal with obesity, I'd be all for them. Do you think putting a helpline phone number in clothes sold to fat people would constitute an effective educational campaign?

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

You're running out of substantive things to say, I see.
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...there's no conclusive evidence that being fat (except for being grossly obese) kills or increases risk of heart disease. You smokers should be familiar with that line of arguing.

Sorry, 'cos I don't normally get into these spews Shipside, but this is beyond the pale...

I smoke, but I'm a skinny git. I am pissed off if anyone tells me I shouldn't smoke, because it's none of their damned business. Therefore, I wouldn't dream of telling someone else that they shouldn't be fat. Apart from being hideously rude, it's none of my damned business.

Then Miss Amanda posted the bile above and I thought to myself, "WTF is that all about?"

There's "no conclusive evidence that being fat (except for being grossly obese) kills or increases risk of heart disease"????

HELLO???? Miss Amanda????? You Home???? Planet Earth calling!

Have you missed all the stuff about blocked arteries? Why does smoking kill? Lung cancer? Relatively, hardly ever. Mostly - Heart disease because smoking causes fatty deposits that block arteries. Now, let's pause and consider- what else might cause fatty deposits in arteries... erm... being fat maybe?

Why are people fat? Because they're storing too much fat. Now, let's guess where they're storing most of the fat that does the damage. On their bellies? No. On their hips? No. On their thighs? No. Ooh, fancy - it's IN THEIR ARTERIES!!!! Why do fat people get heart disease? For exactly the same reason as skinny people - their arteries are clogged with fat, so their hearts can't work properly, so they die. Get used to it.

Being fat doesn't kill? Yes, it does.

Moreover, I'm awfully sorry, but, even though you don't smoke and you're not "grossly obese", the chances are that you will die from a heart attack caused by fat-clogged arteries.

'Though, naturally, I will be very sorry whether you die otherwise or if you prove me correct, I'm still content to put money on your dying as only smokers can and fat people can't, and good wholesome exercising people wouldn't.

Corpus

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The amount of smokers is decreasing; the amount of overweight people is increasing...

There you have it. The increasing numbers of overweight people are all ex-smokers with the munchies!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
...Why are people fat? Because they're storing too much fat. Now, let's guess where they're storing most of the fat that does the damage. On their bellies? No. On their hips? No. On their thighs? No. Ooh, fancy - it's IN THEIR ARTERIES!!!!

I've got some mighty fat arteries around my belly, yes indeedy.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
The amount of smokers is decreasing; the amount of overweight people is increasing...

There you have it. The increasing numbers of overweight people are all ex-smokers with the munchies!
It's "spare-hand syndrome". If you haven't a smoke in your hand you hold something else; biscuits, a bag of crisps, chocolate..... maybe even a drink, which is another evil, oh yes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not the same thing, and you know it. Fat people don't spew cancerous lipids into the lungs of innocent bystanders.
No, much more importantly you are influencing children - showing them that eating trashy foods is cool.

Hey now that's just not true! Us Fatties hive off into unlit cupboards, or under the duvets, with our Sainsbury bags full of lard and chocolate to slob our relish in dark, miserable, isolation, feeding our low self-esteem as we feed our faces [Big Grin] .

Once upon a time you'd find fag-ends dropped surrepticiously out of a bedroom window or round the back of the bike-sheds. These days it's Wagon-Wheel wrappers and Mr Kipling boxes..... [Help]

Maybe the shame game does work after all. Every time I order dessert when I go out for a special meal with friends and family, I feel as if I should have a note from my doctor [Frown] .

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
trebuchet
Shipmate
# 11970

- Posted      Profile for trebuchet   Author's homepage   Email trebuchet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm fat - probably about 50 lbs overweight - and it is a health risk, and I should be lectured by my doctor every time I see him. I support efforts to make it easier for me to lose weight (if doctors could prescribe a gym so my health insurance covered the membership fees, for instance; if the government outlawed high fructose corn syrup or gave subsidies to lower the prices of healthy foods) and to provide tools whereby I can learn more about nutrition, if I want to seek out that information. And to teach this stuff better in schools so people have a solid foundation (no pun intended).

I should not be lectured by store clerks when buying clothes. That's dumb. Not only is it offensive, of course, but it's counterproductive. If you want people to lose weight, the worst thing you can do is try to shame them into doing it. Shame and guilt make most people - especially fat people - eat more. Because eating is comfort. Shaming fat people doesn't make there be fewer fat people. That so many fat people try to lose weight and fail means there's a problem not just with their willpower or whatever, but with how society's structured, or else we wouldn't have so many more fat people than we did 100 years ago. People didn't magically become weaker-willed.

To get people to lose weight, we need to remove the economic barriers to thinness.

Where I live, a head of lettuce ($2.16) costs more than twice as much as a fast food burger ($0.99). It's almost impossible to find convenience foods - foods that if you made them at home, you would not put sugar into - that do not contain sucrose, dextrose or, worse, high fructose corn sugar (and let's face it, not everybody is going to have time to cook for themselves). Not to mention the fat content. And gym memberships are about $50/month, which is a lot of money for a lot of people, myself included, and most cities are structured such that it's really hard to get around without using a car or, if you're lucky enough to have it, public transit. (I really miss living in a place where I could walk to work.)

Ultimately, I attribute my weight gain to poverty. Yes, I made some bad choices, and I am not saying that to deny my own culpability. But the fact remains that being poor narrows your healthy options down considerably. Now that I am not poor anymore, I have many more options - I can buy healthier foods and I can afford a gym membership (or actually, a Nintendo Wii and fitness software).

Posts: 60 | From: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by PeaceFeet:
ISTM that SOME of the proposals laid out in the article would benefit everyone, such as:
  • Stricter planning regulations to only allow new housing complexes if they have sports facilities and green parks nearby
  • Tax processed food high in sugar and salt
  • Only allow new urban roads if they have cycle lanes
Not very hellworthy, but those things sound good to me.
I agree. But I think they should just get hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup out of the food industry entirely. We lived just fine without them for a long time, and they should simply be eliminated.
Right on, Ruth. HFCS is the work of the debbil. It's insane how much stuff it's in (momma taught me to read labels).

(those cupcakes I was mentioning ... made with real butter and real sugar. not "health food" beyond being good for the morale but at least it's proper scratch baking [Biased] .)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

You're running out of substantive things to say, I see.
Actually, I didn't have time to come up with anything else, my fat ass had a hot date last night, and I'm just now getting home.

How'd you spend your Friday evening? Sitting on the Inernet?

[ 16. December 2006, 18:22: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

I had dinner with friends. How is it relevant?
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Well, perhaps because there turns out to be a significant population of "chubby chasers" in Portland?
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by trebuchet:
... Where I live, a head of lettuce ($2.16) costs more than twice as much as a fast food burger ($0.99).

Until you can make that head of lettuce taste like a hot, steaming Burger King Double Whopper dripping with grease and cheese, price will be no object. I didn't spend 500,000 years climbing the food chain to start eating rabbit food.
quote:
... Now that I am not poor anymore, I have many more options - I can buy healthier foods and I can afford a gym membership (or actually, a Nintendo Wii and fitness software).
That's the ticket! You, too, can reach total fitness by waving a game controller in the air!

[leaves the other hand free for a bag of chips]

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Actually, I didn't have time to come up with anything else, my fat ass had a hot date last night, and I'm just now getting home.

Yes, but that begs the question: Did you get any hot exercise? Inquiring minds, and all that...

--------------------

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:

Strange end to put a hot vindaloo or chilli, is this normal practice among wonder sheep?

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are far healthier things you can eat than lettuce. And yes, what Gort said. Additionally:

You can get about a pound of broccoli for 90c or so (at least here when it's on sale), and chicken tends to go for 40-80c per lb. If you look around, it's not that costly to eat simple, relatively cheap meals that provide basic nutrition without having to depend on things like McDonald's and Burger King. I would almost bet that I could make myself a simple hamburger that contained more beef than one of those cardboard patties for less than it costs to buy one at a fast food joint.

Personally, I think, if you're willing to make the time to cook your own food instead of wasting your hard earned money on prepackaged crap, you can eat pretty well for cheap, IMO.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
quote:
...there's no conclusive evidence that being fat (except for being grossly obese) kills or increases risk of heart disease. You smokers should be familiar with that line of arguing.

HELLO???? Miss Amanda????? You Home???? Planet Earth calling!

Have you missed all the stuff about blocked arteries? . . . Moreover, I'm awfully sorry, but, even though you don't smoke and you're not "grossly obese", the chances are that you will die from a heart attack caused by fat-clogged arteries.

Corpus

Yes, Miss Amanda knows all that. She was merely making a point. Up until very recently (and perhaps even still) the tobacco industry swore on a stack of Bibles that smoking was not in the least injurious to health. In fact, she remembers when advertisements touted smoking as actually conducive to health!

And yes, Miss Amanda doesn't smoke, and she's flattered that you think she's not grossly obese (although, truth be told, she's no Skinny Minnie either). She knows she will probably die of heart disease, as it runs in her family. Although she'd love to drop 40 pounds or so, it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't.

And as far as exercise goes, whenever anyone asks Miss Amanda if she exercises, she replies, "I get all the exercise I need attending funerals of people who exercised."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm picturing mourners on treadmills.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by mirrizin:
... Personally, I think, if you're willing to make the time to cook your own food instead of wasting your hard earned money on prepackaged crap, you can eat pretty well for cheap, IMO.

Truth be told, my standard fare is frozen stir-fry veggies with chicken, shrimp or fish tossed in... fifteen minutes, stove to table. Yeah, I know the veggies are dead when frozen but at least I'm getting some roughage. A trip to a burger joint takes longer and besides, who wants to wake up with this plastic-headed knob in bed with them?

--------------------

Duck
Shipmate
# 10181

- Posted      Profile for Duck   Email Duck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the resource use front - i'm an ultramarathon runner and Ironman triathlete, and the sort of shape you get by running 70 miles per week for a few years. i reckon that with daily running, a physical job in a bike shop, and the odd bit of cycling or swimming too, i probably double my calorie requirements compared to a sedentary person most days. I also cost the NHS money for occasional physio for injuries, and I've had a few friends get squashed by cars, break limbs, sprain ankles, or otherwise consume NHS resources whilst selfishly pursuing recreational activites. I'd guess that someone who lives to a ripe old age whilst sustaining occasional injuries through sport probably costs the NHS lots. I'm not particularly interested in being healthy for its own sake - doing double-marathons for fun doesn't do your body a whole lot of good, but it's like deciding to put up with the hangover for the sake of a really good night out.

the clothes phone line is a daft idea. i'm a UK size 12 even with a low % body fat, 'cos i come from a long line of Welsh Prop Forwards and I'm fairly tall with size 10 feet (have to go in tall people's shops for them). On the other hand, if it means there will be queues of people lining up to feed me cake outside shops, I'm all for it - yes to phone lines in clothes! yes to cake! [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Truth is my authority, not authority my truth' - Mary Dyer, Quaker martyr.

Posts: 1014 | From: Lots of planets have a north | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016