homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: God is not a bitch, bitch. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: God is not a bitch, bitch.
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

- Posted      Profile for Trin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than likely, this has come up before but:

I annoys the hell out of me when people call god "She". Because as far as I can tell, they do it for no other reason than to annoy people like me. It is no longer original or controversial. Just annoying. Quit it.

[ 15. April 2007, 20:48: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Posts: 442 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shhh, Here comes Trin. Everyone ready?.....

She Is Lord,
She Is Lord,
She has Risen From the Dead and She Is Lord...

Ok ok, now for Marvin
Hi Martin...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trin:
I annoys the hell out of me when people call god "She".

Why? Are you denying that God has a feminine side?

quote:
Also originally posted by Trin:
Because as far as I can tell, they do it for no other reason than to annoy people like me.

Actually, they've probably never met you. And why should they care what you think? The world does not actually revolve around you.

quote:
Also originally posted by Trin:
Quit it.

No.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because as far as I can tell, they do it for no other reason than to annoy people like me.

Self-centered, are we? Earth to Trin: there are other reasons besides being original, controversial, or annoying.

My hair with her own hands she has braided...

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I annoys the hell out of me when people call god "She". Because as far as I can tell, they do it for no other reason than to annoy people like me.

Yeah right, cause you and people like you are the centre of the universe right and if someones does something to annoy you that must be their sole reason for doing it.

(How many times are we singing it PADYS?)

Huia

[ 02. February 2007, 06:40: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I annoys the hell out of me when people call god "She". Because as far as I can tell, they do it for no other reason than to annoy people like me. It is no longer original or controversial. Just annoying. Quit it.

Ok - so what's the alternative?

"he"? - are you really saying that God IS male and IS NOT female? Be very careful how you answer that!

"it?" - are you really saying that God is impersonal? Seems to me to deny 2000 years of Christian theology.

Using (occasionally) the word "she" reflects the fact that the Bible also uses feminine images for God from time to time. I'm sure that there's a Dead Horse or Ecclesiantics thread out there somewhere about this.

As this is Hell, I'll finish by saying:

Just take your tired, misogynistic, androcentric claptrap for a long walk off of a short cliff.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I annoys the hell out of me

Sounds as if you're too busy annoying yourself to mind who we call 'she'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

- Posted      Profile for Trin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at all saying God doesn't have "female qualities".

Also not saying that God is biologically male.

However since 99% of the time people call God "he" and very obviously, called "He" in the Bible, I can only conclude that people call him "she" just to make some point about God's femininity - and it is ALMOST always totally out of context in the discussion thats going on at the time. Therefore, its just to be controversial. Don't get me wrong - I can live with it. But it comes across as petty to me when people do it... why do they feel they have to take every opportunity to parade their God-gender issues during un God-gender related discussions?

Don't really see what the need is for personal attacks, since I've not attacked any of you... of course this is hell though, so you can get away with it, and it makes it so much more fun doesn't it. Pure Yellow Snow made me laugh though! [Smile]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trin

Welcome

Hell can be a dangerous place until you get the hang of it. Best avoided until that happens. You probably don't realise it but you are actually parading some of your own God-gender issues your last post. Think about it a little. A slight case of "pot and kettle" I'm afraid.

And all the best.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trin - there are some horrendously broad and sweeping generalisations in your last post. If you want anyone to have any sympathy for you, you'd better give some examples of where 'She' has been applied to God in a context that is deliberately controversial.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no pronoun (is that the correct grammatical word?!) that is adequate to apply to God, and while the bible does seem to use 'He' more frequently than 'She', neither does any justice to the nature of God.

So basically, quit whining until you have something specific to whine about.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't really see what the need is for personal attacks

If you care to hear honest debate, start the same thread in purgatory.

You started it in Hell; you must just want to bitch. Specifically, to accuse any who uses "she" of being fake.

So, yeah, what is left but playing around?

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An OP which shows little understanding of the ship or awareness of gender issues in relations to GOd,

but still - great title which makes up for some of that.

4/10 ?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooo, a complaining newbie...who evidently thinks "she" = "bitch". (E.g., "God is not a bitch", as opposed to "God is not feminine".) Such a lovely way to get started on the ship.
[Roll Eyes]

Trin, perhaps the concept has escaped you, but many people--both women and men--NEED to relate to God as feminine.

Take a look at this archived thread from the oblivion board:
Purgatory--Use of the Pronoun She When Referring To God.

Then work on your evident prejudices about women.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks to me like just another mysogynist who thinks they have a monopoly on the truth. [Disappointed]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're all RooK's bitches down here, surely?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
We're all RooK's bitches down here, surely?

Is RooK:

• God
  • Female

Do not turn over the answer paper until instructed.

Do not write on more that two sides of the paper at once.

Non-programmable pocket calculators may be used.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not at all saying God doesn't have "female qualities".

Also not saying that God is biologically male.

However since 99% of the time people call God "he" and very obviously, called "He" in the Bible, I can only conclude that people call him "she" just to make some point about God's femininity - and it is ALMOST always totally out of context in the discussion thats going on at the time. Therefore, its just to be controversial. Don't get me wrong - I can live with it. But it comes across as petty to me when people do it... why do they feel they have to take every opportunity to parade their God-gender issues during un God-gender related discussions?

Don't really see what the need is for personal attacks, since I've not attacked any of you... of course this is hell though, so you can get away with it, and it makes it so much more fun doesn't it. Pure Yellow Snow made me laugh though! [Smile]

Actually no. As I understand it, the word used in the orginal language for God is gender neutral. But as the English language doesn't work that way and it would be disrespectful to address the Lord of Heaven and Earth, "it" so we use "he". And because when the first translations into English were done, there was no way anyone was going to use "she".

Okay, everyone, it's time for another rousing chorus, "She is Lord ...! She is Lord". Let me see those hands waving people!!! Praise her name!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Trin.

Good post. Expect abuse, because you've touched on something that is at the heart of what the Ship's about and said things that shouldn't be said.

Welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

Thanks mate.
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was under the impression that, apart from stuff which might cause legal trouble, there are no 'things that shouldn't be said' on the Ship.

There are, on the other hand, shit, misogynistic, self-centred generalisations which will be laid into because plenty of Shipmates will recognise them to be shit, misogynistic, self-centred generalisations.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melbscape
Shipmate
# 11749

- Posted      Profile for Melbscape     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I annoys the hell out of me when people call god "She".

Thread title. Quote. So, "she" = "bitch"?

Who knew.

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
I was under the impression that, apart from stuff which might cause legal trouble, there are no 'things that shouldn't be said' on the Ship.

You'd be wrong about that, I suspect.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Gordon: It what possible sense was it a "good post"? It was short-sighted, unsubstantiated, totally vague, lacking in any discernible empathy with the people being criticised and utterly dismissive of an understanding of Christianity different from that of the writer.

In short, it was a pretty bad post.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Hey davelarge. Give it a chance. Seeds are shortsighted, blind, dead things. We just have to see what develops.

--------------------

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any of the learned shipmates know why Christ refered to God as Father and not as Mother?

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
Hey davelarge. Give it a chance. Seeds are shortsighted, blind, dead things. We just have to see what develops.

Yeah, if we're really lucky it might turn into another "everyone hates conservatives" thread.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trin, you're spot on that many people (most, in my personal experience) who use the feminine pronoun do it to shock or to further a feminist agenda, not to express a profound truth about God (which can't be known or expressed, anyway).

But don't let the plonkers know that they're annoying you, you see what rare happiness it gives them.

Heed Barnabas62's kind and wise advice and try making up a line of a limerick in the Circus, there's a much more spiritual class of Shipmate there. Well, some of them have strayed into this thread, you see what a bad effect it's had on them.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

quote:
So, "she" = "bitch"?
Indeed. Read up on your gangster slang.

Its all become a bit more serious than I originally imagined tbh. Call God she. I've had an epiphany - now I don't mind.

(Thanks FD)

[ 02. February 2007, 09:41: Message edited by: Trin ]

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find an excellent way to deal with the "God is she" brigade is to bless them by sprinkling them with holy water. They can't stand getting their raffia cardigans and organic muesli all wet.

(Or is it organic cardigans and raffia muesli?)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Lad Himself

Accidental stowaway
# 2073

- Posted      Profile for The Lad Himself   Author's homepage   Email The Lad Himself   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a card-carrying member of the God-is-she brigade, let me just say [Killing me] to the last post.

Obviously God's female. Otherwise how do you explain multiple orgasms? Exactly.

--------------------
new blog: crazywise.org

Posts: 2302 | From: Southport, UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, God is not a female dog or a nasty woman, obviously. (Well, unless you read some of the OT stories where God sounds like a woman with serious PMS... [Biased] )

Bitch as in 'you're my bitches' I thought meant 'someone who's my slave' or similar? So no, God isn't my slave either, despite what some of the 'heavenly slot machine' churches might say.

The other slang meaning of bitch would presumably be 'girlfriend'? (Disclaimer: I am not a rapper, nor do I play one on TV.) Well, God isn't my girlfriend, nor indeed my boyfriend, although you'd be forgiven for thinking so with some of the songs our churches like to sing.

(Ack, I'm just too fluffy for Hell, aren't I?)

[ 02. February 2007, 10:26: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trin - actually, I think you have a point that sometimes it is used to irritate. But not always. There is a good solid biblical justification for addressing the female side of God, and it does address a bias that has been present for centuries.

Gordon - I realise that shortsighted, blind and dead are areas you specialise in. And seeds and nuts are closely related. And there should be a joke in that.

tcs - Father has many cultural implications that Jesus was using. It does not imply that God is definitively male.

And I'm sorry, but sometimes God is a bitch.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melbscape
Shipmate
# 11749

- Posted      Profile for Melbscape     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
Trin, you're spot on that many people (most, in my personal experience) who use the feminine pronoun do it to shock or to further a feminist agenda, not to express a profound truth about God (which can't be known or expressed, anyway).

...unless it's to express the masculinity of God, of course. It's perfectly expressible if one just sticks to the right gender, apparently.

But please, if it makes you feel comfortable to insist people aren't using the feminine pronoun to actually describe their relationship with God, their way of relating to God, do continue. Despite what people might protest who are that way inclined, I'm sure you have a greater understanding of their motives than they do themselves.

Melbscape
Shipmate
# 11749

quote:

Some obscure neurotoxic fungus, probably.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the coiled spring:
Do any of the learned shipmates know why Christ refered to God as Father and not as Mother?

Because the aspects of parenthood and principles of entitlement and inheritance which He as ascribing to God were those expressed by and vested in fathers in His culture in His time?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:

You'd be wrong about that, I suspect.
Apart from stuff that will get the Ship into hot water legally, what else shouldn't be said on the Ship?

Put up or shut up.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that with everything in this place two camps have emerged. Those who have no problems with God as she, he or some other personal pro-noun. Others who see others spirituality as a personal afront to reason decency (and because they can, this being a reasonably open forum for discussion of such issues).

I personally have no problem with calling God she and actually find it quite liberating. I suspect that most people when calling God she do so because they, like me, find it useful and not because they want to annoy you, or others who share your theological perspective. Prayer is essentially a deeply liberating experience, a literal expression of a relationship with the divine/transcendent. The language of prayer is also deeply personal and is an expression of our relationship with the divine/transcendent.

For many Godhead expressed in the female form is helpful if not a necessary balance. If your God is so small and limited that you can only conceive of him/her within the very limited scope of the English language allows then perhaps you should to go back to the Bible and see how limitless God is. Limitless in both form and expression and limited only by the limits of our minds and by our oh-so-limited language.

Oh, and if you come down to Hell and start ranting about anything don't be surprised if your backside is kicked black and blue by someone with a divergent opinion.

J Whitgift
Deceased Archbishop of Canterbury

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for double posting.

Trin, with regards to your thread title 'God is not a bitch, bitch.' Do you normally call people with two X chromosomes "bitch"!?! Or just the female expression of God?

If it's the former I pray for your wellbeing as I imagine that 52% of the population will be calling for your blood. If it's the latter, then I pray for your eternal soul as that surely is blasphemy. If it's both [shrugs] then God help you ... [Votive]

[ 02. February 2007, 12:10: Message edited by: J Whitgift ]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

No. Do I heck. I'll try to come clean here.

The thread title was an attempt to set the tone of the thread at slightly-less-than-serious. In some stupid films and rap songs, black guys indescriminately refer to women as "bitches".

My attack on people refering to God as a woman - only semi-serious - came from my assumption that people only do it because they want to constantly remind everyone that they don't go with the normal conservative assumption that God is a guy. My beef* is with the fact that they feel the need to make a point of it all the time - and NOT with the idea that God has anything femenine about him. I don't think anyone would argue that god has no femenine characteristics.

However, I have now been educated - it turns out people are infact calling God "she" because they feel more comfortable doing so than "he". Rather than to make any particular point. My mistake.

quote:
Some obscure neurotoxic fungus, probably.
Which of the two camps, Melbscape, would you say has thrown more neurotoxin around on this thread?

*beef

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:

I am, yes. God is transcendent. He does not have "sides".

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:
quote:

Then referring to him as having a male side is equally in error.

And stop pushing your values on davelarge andreas. What makes you think your conception of God is better then his?

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

quote:
[...]

Which of the two camps, Melbscape, would you say has thrown more neurotoxin around on this thread?

[Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

Thanks for the clarification. However, you entered were the one who entered the glass house and started throwing stones. Don't blame other people for responding to your attempt to start an argument in Hell, you got what you asked for with interest [Big Grin] .

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As far as I'm concerned, there is no pronoun (is that the correct grammatical word?!) that is adequate to apply to God, and while the bible does seem to use 'He' more frequently than 'She', neither does any justice to the nature of God.

One of my daughters never uses a pronoun to refer to God. She just says God or God's.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
Then referring to him as having a male side is equally in error.

And stop pushing your values on davelarge andreas. What makes you think your conception of God is better then his?

Referring to God as he or she or it is not a mistake PROVIDED THAT one does not ascribe maleness or femaleness or "itiness" to God. Referring to God as she, to indicate that there are female aspects in God is mistaken. You seem to be confusing between the two. Just because the same word is used it does not mean that the meaning is the same in the two instances where people say he or she with regards to God.

As far as I can tell, davelarge did not express a value and I did not use another value to oppose him. Knee-jerk reaction the raptor?

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
One of my daughters never uses a pronoun to refer to God. She just says God or God's.

Moo

Θεός, in Greek is a noun of the male gender. Just as ιερέας (priest) is.

[ 02. February 2007, 13:19: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

But he is a bit like a triangle, or at least he was in my Sunday School text books, but to be fair they also had Jesus stroking badgers and cute mice, so it might not have been that reliable.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You are denying his view of God. Which is a value he holds.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let us break down the word 'bitch', shall we?

Beautiful
Intelligent
Talented
Charming
Helpful

I'm Love's bitch, but I'm man enough to admit it.

Now, let us break down the word 'fuckwit'
Gordon
Trin
Coiled Spring

And now, places where God refers to/compares Herself to a woman:

Isaiah 49:15 - “Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.”
Isaiah 66:33 - As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
Psalm131:2 - “But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.”
Psalm 123:2 - “As the eyes of a servant looks to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, until God has mercy on us.”
Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34 - “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!”
Luke 15:8-10 - “Or what woman having ten silver coins, is she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

And now, let's sing!

Our God is an awesome God
She reigns from Heaven above
With wisdom, power and love,
Our God is an awesome God

[ 02. February 2007, 13:31: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed. Read up on your gangster slang.
So you're a gangster are you?

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Θεός, in Greek is a noun of the male gender.

And nouns don't have genders in English. What's your point?
quote:
Just as ιερέας (priest) is.
And not content with making a nonsensical argument, you've also decided to drag an irrelevant point straight out of the glue factory into the thread. Well done you. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the coiled spring:

He also said of himself that He longed to mother Jerusalem.

And Genesis 1:1, in the Hebrew, has the Spirit in the feminine, I am reliably informed.

Hebrew, and likely Aramaic, has a cluster of words for God, grammatically masculine, feminime, and plural.

All you monolingual anglophones with "God speaks in 1611 English" can go ... listen to U2, She moves in mysterious ways

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016