homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: God is not a bitch, bitch. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: God is not a bitch, bitch.
samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Them"

It's well on its way to being our gender-neutral singlular pronoun anyway, and we have the Trinity to justify it.

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord,
She is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
She hath loosed the fateful lightening of her terrible swift sword,
Her truth is marching on!

Now that's stirring stuff!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely, it would be:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lady,
She is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are shady,
She hath loosed the fateful lightening of her terrible swift embroidery*,

*OK, OK, it was a bit weak, but lady is not easy to find rhymes for.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

bloodbro
Apprentice
# 12112

- Posted      Profile for bloodbro   Email bloodbro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Joseph Campbell's approach
I agree that there are many faces to god, we see not god but a facet, a face
it may well be a feminine, masculine, neuter, or hermaphrodite

or a tree, rock, or bird in flight
depending on the viewer

Posts: 24 | From: australia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samara:
"Them"

It's well on its way to being our gender-neutral singlular pronoun anyway, and we have the Trinity to justify it.

"Them" used as a singular pronoun is as much an abortion of the English language as most other attempts to "PCify" English.

I really hate that word.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LATA - I posted for a bit of fun, but found the final result rather striking. I haven't changed pronouns round since the 80s, but I may start doing so again (in my head, if nowhere else) as I think it does me good.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
quote:
"Them"

"Them" used as a singular pronoun is as much an abortion of the English language as most other attempts to "PCify" English.

I really hate that word.

Doesn't Jane Austen use it? And if it's good enough for her......

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, for heaven's sake. The male pronoun is absolutely right. God is an old bloke with a beard and a triangular halo sitting on a cloud. I know because there was a picture of him in my Catechism. This Catechism was compiled by priests, cardinals and probably the Pope himself so I have no reason to disbelieve it.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
quote:
quote:
"Them"

I really hate that word.

If one of the, if not the, most over-rated novellists ever uses it, it proves the usage is wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
LATA - I posted for a bit of fun, but found the final result rather striking. I haven't changed pronouns round since the 80s, but I may start doing so again (in my head, if nowhere else) as I think it does me good.

I quited liked your song. However, calling a woman "Lord" is going to create quite a deal of confusion. A new word is required. (Not bitch, but).

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not?

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the bitch,
She is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are kitch,
She hath loosed the fateful lightening of her terrible swift witch,

This one scans [Biased]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Really? Why? It's older than political correctness.
See: Language Log

quote:

The argument was settled long ago: singular they has routinely been used throughout the history of English, by all the best writers, until certain subcases were artificially turned into "errors" by self-appointed experts. Successively less discriminating pseudo-authorities then generalized the proscription in successively sillier ways, although they have largely been ignored by the users of the language.

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
"Them"

I really hate that word.

I don't care. To me the word suggests some kind of ancestry with "they", which I don't feel to be "nice" (English already has to many words that are similar in spelling but different in meaning). I also think it would introduce whole new chances for new English speakers to get words wrong.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
— Firefly

Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
I was under the impression that, apart from stuff which might cause legal trouble, there are no 'things that shouldn't be said' on the Ship.

You'd be wrong about that, I suspect.
Apart from stuff that will get the Ship into hot water legally, what else shouldn't be said on the Ship?
Breaking one of the 10 Commandments would be ten examples.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
I was under the impression that, apart from stuff which might cause legal trouble, there are no 'things that shouldn't be said' on the Ship.

You'd be wrong about that, I suspect.
Apart from stuff that will get the Ship into hot water legally, what else shouldn't be said on the Ship?
1. Don't be a jerk

People are jerks all the time in Hell. People are jerks all the time on the other boards, we just normally get thrown into Hell for it.

2. Engage brain before posting your message

Self-evident that many people don't do this.

3. Attack the issue, not the person

Again, often violated on the others boards, and condemned to Hell.

4. If you must get personal, take it to Hell

People break this one all the time. I keep getting warned for doing it in Purg (I blame it on to many Hell threads being to Purgatorial) >.<

5. Don't easily offend, don't be easily offended

"Who you calling crazy asshole" thread. And the majority of Hell calls.

6. Respect the Ship's crew

This one matches your post.

7. Don't post illegal material

Covered under sarkys post.

8. Don't crusade

People break this all the time. You have to be pretty obvious about it to get in trouble for it.

9. Don't advertise or spam

Fits your post.

10. Only one identity per member

Has nothing to do with what you say on the ship. Just how you go about saying it.

So thats what? 2 1/2 ship commandments that restrict what you post?

--------------------
— Firefly

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we're in Hell and on the topic at the moment, how about a bit of a rethink on the gender of Satan? If God is the Bitch Above All Bitches, then surely the devil would be some kind of evil Bitch.
She's probably not too happy about people addressing her as a male all this time. And you'd better watch out if you piss off her, since she's not full of love and grace - she has demons, supernatural PMS and everything else she would need to cause whatever havoc she wants!

quote:
quote:
]Apart from stuff that will get the Ship into hot water legally, what else shouldn't be said on the Ship?

A voice of experience speaking there GC?

ETA: raptor, reading your fuckwittery a second time puts me in the unpleasant situation of having to defend GC. At least she only stirs shit but you fling it all around. And this is Hell, so of course he's a jerk, and of course he's attacking everyone. But I didn't see any crusading, advertising or spam. So shut up.

[ 03. February 2007, 12:18: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trin:
More than likely, this has come up before but:
It is no longer original or controversial.

Nor is calling God 'Father', or talking about God has three divine hypostases united in possession of a single divine substance. Both were once 'original' and 'controversial' ways of talking about God. Pagans and Arians may well have thought that people spoke in such ways merely to 'annoy' them. Some, no doubt, did. But given that, in spite of their unoriginality, we persist in speaking of God in these ways, I'm not sure I see the point you're making.

[ 03. February 2007, 12:47: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with "them" is okay because Jane Austen does it is that she doesn't do it much. People who use that argument usually believe in doing it much more than whatever author they're talking about did it.

Also that argument easily defends my (opposite) practice of saying "he" when I don't know the sex.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my opinion, the word 'God' retains the transcendent reality of the divinity while also pointing to the personal character of divinity.

Goddess, on the other hand, loses the transcendent part. Therefore, rightly we do not refer to God using the term Goddess. It is well known that people worshiped Mother Nature for ages. Civilizations flourished were a Mother was worshiped. The question to me is what relation is there between that Mother and the Christian God and whether calling God a She points more to that Mother than it does to God.

What do you think about those questions? I'd be interesting in learning what you people think.

[ 03. February 2007, 14:12: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me calling God She has nothing to do with any pagan (though Mertseger may reappear to taunt you soon, perhaps.)
I find the practice annoying because it often seems to involve messing up perfectly good old hymns not because God is less involved. However, newer songs that were written intentionally this way like this one? Awesome.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And using "you" when just one person is meant was once an abomination. Language evolves. Get over it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trin:
quote:
So, "she" = "bitch"?
Indeed. Read up on your gangster slang.
Trin, that's gangsta slang; there's a difference.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. Don't be a jerk

People are jerks all the time in Hell. People are jerks all the time on the other boards, we just normally get thrown into Hell for it.

2. Engage brain before posting your message

Self-evident that many people don't do this.

Pot, dear? Kettle on line two. Wishes to discuss color with you, re: you're black.

Besides, numbnuts, the place to whine like a toddler about how mean the hosts and admins are is the Styx.

[ 03. February 2007, 15:21: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that this thread has descended into erudite discussion on the effect of Jane Austen on modern grammar useage, Rook knows he is in Hell.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
To me calling God She has nothing to do with any pagan (though Mertseger may reappear to taunt you soon, perhaps.)

Do you honestly think that someone who asserts that Mathew Fox epitomizes Orthodox theology or that the Greek Older Testament preceded the Hebrew requires any additional mockery? Both andreas1984 and I descended into the morass of happy self-parody long ago and have never looked back. We are only here to amuse you.

I would quibble, however, that there is some evidence that at least some Goddesses were regarded at transcendent prior to the dominance of Patriarchal religion. But it was a pretty dark transcendence: Chaos, Tiamat, Kore etc. An undifferentiated feminine Beyond from which all else arose. The new thing of Hebraic theology seemed to be the idea of a benign, intelligent transcendence.

Our Lady's Prayer
Friday the 13th of March, 1992

Our Mother who art the Earth,
Hollowed be thy name.
Thy community come,
Thy cycle be done
In us as it is
In Your seasons.
Give us this day
Our daily bread,
And heal our hurts
As we try to heal
the hurts of others.
Lead us away from pollution,
And bring us all joy,
For Thou art the World,
The wonder and the glory
Forever.

Amen.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane Austen did all sorts of odd things. She uses 'myself' in a fashion which, these days, would be considered distinctly suburban.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
I would quibble, however, that there is some evidence that at least some Goddesses were regarded at transcendent prior to the dominance of Patriarchal religion. But it was a pretty dark transcendence: Chaos, Tiamat, Kore etc. An undifferentiated feminine Beyond from which all else arose. The new thing of Hebraic theology seemed to be the idea of a benign, intelligent transcendence.

Perhaps I should take this to Purgatory, but this is interesting. I mean to some degree I am certain that all kinds of gods and goddesses (transcendent and not) preceeded Christianity.
However, I somewhat disagree of patriarchical vs. pagan. After all, I doubt that historically the average "pagan" religion has been less male dominated though. Guys have been historically in a better position to dominate. Why not dominate religion?

[ 03. February 2007, 21:00: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Perhaps I should take this to Purgatory, but this is interesting. I mean to some degree I am certain that all kinds of gods and goddesses (transcendent and not) preceeded Christianity.
However, I somewhat disagree of patriarchical vs. pagan. After all, I doubt that historically the average "pagan" religion has been less male dominated though. Guys have been historically in a better position to dominate. Why not dominate religion?

It's almost certainly true that written history only indicates male domination in Pagan religions. But there is also a bit of evidence that at least some religions prior to the advent of writing were more matrifocal, and some of the societies were matriarchal (see The Golden Bough or Campbell's Masks of God, vol. I, for instance). But yeah, there was likely no pre-Patriarchal Golden Age that spanned the globe. Forgive me for using a shorthand for the pattern of replacement that quite probably occurred around the Mediterranean but may have been limited thereto.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing about one translation of the bible that had almost every reference to God being referred to in either a neutral manner or a feminine manner. However, the Devil was always referred to as masculine in that text, very interesting stuff.

God is non-corporeal so not a 'male' in the physiological sense - perhaps masculinity is a big scary concept that doesn't go well at the moment...

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
raptor, reading your fuckwittery a second time puts me in the unpleasant situation of having to defend GC. At least she only stirs shit but you fling it all around. And this is Hell, so of course he's a jerk, and of course he's attacking everyone. But I didn't see any crusading, advertising or spam. So shut up.

I meant dear numpty that those Commandments matched Gordon's claim (should have said "claim" not "post" but I obviously failed commandment 2) that the Ten Commandments restricted what one may say. I didn't mean to say that his post was violating any of them.

And one thing that that GC never does, TGC, is tell people to shut up.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Pot, dear? Kettle on line two. Wishes to discuss color with you, re: you're black.

Besides, numbnuts, the place to whine like a toddler about how mean the hosts and admins are is the Styx.

Your post might be of value if I hadn't admitted to breaking commandments (or being warned about breaking them) in the very post you were responding to. And I wasn't whining about the H&A (they are far better then any other group of moderators I have ever met), I was responding to Gordon's whine about the Ten Commandments limiting his free speech.

If you had of followed commandment 2 you might have realised this. TGC's response is far more reasonable given my own failure of commandment 2.

--------------------
— Firefly

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Balaam (on Jane Austen):
quote:
If one of the, if not the, most over-rated novellists ever uses it, it proves the usage is wrong.
Ruth! RUTH!!!!!! Where are you? I can't reply to this properly as I've got to go and celebrate the Mysteries. However, suffice it to say that every word that proceeds from the mouth of Jane is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword. As it says in 2 Northanger 3. 16: All Austen is inspired by God .....

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just popped in to give Balaam some support.

quote:
As it says in 2 Northanger 3. 16: All Austen is inspired by God .....

Actually, it was probably inspired by drink, if what I've heard is true, she was half sozzled when she wrote.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, come on, give the girl a break. All that undercover work as a secret agent for Napoleon took its toll on the nerves.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Aw, come on, give the girl a break. All that undercover work as a secret agent for Napoleon took its toll on the nerves.

Secret? It's blatant.

She gives details of troop movements ("they're off to Brighton"), outlines the personal foibles of senior naval officers, to be exploited by other operatives,.... "Heh, ze admiral Croft, ve shall mek it look like ze carriage accidont. He iz olwez mekking ze dengereuse turns."

Clearly guilty of espionage.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

Your post might be of value if I hadn't admitted to breaking commandments (or being warned about breaking them) in the very post you were responding to. And I wasn't whining about the H&A (they are far better then any other group of moderators I have ever met), I was responding to Gordon's whine about the Ten Commandments limiting his free speech.

If you had of followed commandment 2 you might have realised this. TGC's response is far more reasonable given my own failure of commandment 2.

Okay, I'm totally confused now. You're just bitching to be a bitch? And you're trying to say that you're taking the high road in all of this by attempting to get your Junior Hosting merit badge?

Bored now.

[ 04. February 2007, 14:51: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I think he was trying to disprove Gordon, because he's under a strange misconception that Gordon listens.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Okay, I'm totally confused now. You're just bitching to be a bitch? And you're trying to say that you're taking the high road in all of this by attempting to get your Junior Hosting merit badge?

Bored now.

And you were bitching at me for some high moral reason? And I wasn't bitching. Bitching would be "My God Gordon is such a fucking numpty and this post is a perfect example".

Oh and nice example of defensiveness because you somehow read my post as a bitching about the H&A, when in fact it was refuting Gordon's bitch about Ships rules.

And Junior (Hell) Host badge? What has that got to do with the TC's? As I noted in my original post, Hell is where half the violators of the TC's end up. Saying "we failed to apply commandment 2" was meant to be more funny then "we are fucking idiots". I am not stupid enough to think the Hosts appreciate junior hosting, or need it. I much prefer to watch the Hosts maul people then do it myself.

And Gwai is right about my motive. I think reasoning with Gordon works better then swearing at him.

Not that much better though.

[ 04. February 2007, 16:23: Message edited by: the_raptor ]

--------------------
— Firefly

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Wow, raptor, seriously, can I give you some advice?

Reach around behind yourself, son, and get a firm grip.

Now yank that stick out of your butt.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think reasoning with Gordon works better then swearing at him.

What evidence do you have for this absurd claim?

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

Spiffy you don't know when people aren't being serious do you? Talking like that generates much more amusing reactions.

And it isn't like I haven't been called arrogant a lot. Even my friends say I talk arrogantly. I don't feel that arrogant, so it must just be my speech patterns. I figure I may as well not fight it and just play it for laughs.

It also makes me feel smarter. And I really need that ego boost.

You should be glad I have gotten dumber, I used to be much better at faking pretension (I should have kept hanging out with Philosophy and English majors).

--------------------
— Firefly

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
And it isn't like I haven't been called arrogant a lot. Even my friends say I talk arrogantly. I don't feel that arrogant, so it must just be my speech patterns.

Or you really are arrogant but are in denial.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
And it isn't like I haven't been called arrogant a lot. Even my friends say I talk arrogantly. I don't feel that arrogant, so it must just be my speech patterns.

Or you really are arrogant but are in denial.
Actually it was something I used to worry about a lot, which generally arrogant people don't do (cause they *are* better then others, and those people are just jealous, etc).

And I don't fit the wikipedia definition.

I tend to talk arrogantly about things I am certain of, but don't think I am arrogant by examination of my total behaviour and thoughts. But I often don't pay enough attention to other peoples feelings when I am certain I am right. And I have to make myself do this.

These are the kinds of things that make me think I have some kind of non-NT brain.

[ 04. February 2007, 19:03: Message edited by: the_raptor ]

--------------------
— Firefly

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh and nice example of defensiveness because you somehow read my post as a bitching about the H&A, when in fact it was refuting Gordon's bitch about Ships rules.

I have no complaint about the Ship's rules, and I'm not sure why you think I do.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I have no complaint about the Ship's rules, and I'm not sure why you think I do.

It's because he was foolishly -- you're not going to believe this -- trying to apply logic to some of the things you've said.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Foolishly is correct. I have no dispute with the ship's commandments, and it's not a logical inference from any of my posts, taken singly or collectively, that I do.

My comment about the 10 commandments was a response to a direct question from Sarkycow about what thing's shouldn't be posted on the Ship.

Problems with the 10 commandments should be taken up, as I understand it, in Styx.

[ 04. February 2007, 21:08: Message edited by: Gordon Cheng ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ah, I see logic's not your strong point either. Wait, I already knew that.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Well, as I appear to be in conflict with one of the Ship's finest logicians and deep thinkers, I'd better step back before I force him to post more than one line of thoughtful refutation. Cheers.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
quote:

Because as I said in my original reply to you, most of them do not restrict what you may post on the Ship. About half of them restrict you, but most of those just get you chucked into Hell (and Gordon you are here so often you must enjoy it), and not banzored.

So it came off to me as you being defensive or something about the ships rules, cause you have been smacked by them before.

But I haven't been to bed yet so I am making even less sense then usual. Brain no worky good.

--------------------
— Firefly

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But I haven't been to bed yet so I am making even less sense then usual.

THAN. The word is THAN. Can you please use THAN? Brrrrr.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
But I haven't been to bed yet so I am making even less sense then usual.

THAN. The word is THAN. Can you please use THAN? Brrrrr.
No, I can't. I always screw it up one way or the other. Their/There/They're, Where/were/we're etc

Its all to much. Blame the Australian education system in the 80's and 90's, that let me get away with fucking these all up while getting high scores in English.

[Waterworks]

P.S. Seriously I am trying to work on it. I have major issues with these words even though I try and do them right. I will never have good grammar until FireFox has a decent grammar checking plugin.

--------------------
— Firefly

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016