homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Romans 6 and Baptism (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Romans 6 and Baptism
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fairness to Gordon, he'll be genuinely busy. [Angel] We're all - er... inundated during Holy Week! [Big Grin] Good discussion, though, eh? Not at all dry... [Biased]

(Sorry, Gordon. But by-the-by, isn't this how typology runs wild? Imagery just gets irresistible... Yeah, OK, "And this year's Kerygmania Strained Relevance Award goes to...Psyduck!!" )

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Baptizo means I immerse, dip, flood, inundate, make wet with water. Then, in different contexts, it can mean other stuff.

I have a lexicon which cites contemporary secular use of the NT vocabulary. There is a citation from around 150 B.C. where a form of βαπτιζω is used to mean that someone is overwhelmed (by calamities).

Moo

You can be drowning in debt. But when you hear on the news at night that a man has drowned that day, you needn't say "What was he drowning in? They don't tell us!" You know that the "unmarked" meaning of the word is drowning "in water".

The unmarked meaning of the word baptise (which I gather is an "intensive" of bapto, which in turn means "I dip"; so "baptizo" would be "I plunge") is "to plunge into water". It can mean swimming ("sea bathing") and a ship sinking (plunging into the depths?) as particular applications of that - and it means the traditional watery rite of baptism in Christian contexts.

In Acts 8.36, coming "unto a certain water", the Ethiopian eunuch asks, "Behold, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptised?" (RV). It seems pretty clear that even the new convert in the NT understood baptism to involve water.

(Please insert a pun here about throwing out the baby with the baptismal water.)

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MSHB:
quote:
(Please insert a pun here about throwing out the baby with the baptismal water.)
If you are a somewhat dyspraxic clergyperson with a vivid imagination, and a firmer grasp of liturgy than of material objects, this is something you don't joke about!!! [Eek!] [Help] [Frown]

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM, that baptism being a sacrament is a visible sign of greater reality. I agree with those on this thread who have suggested that water baptism is a visible ratification of an inner (holistic) action of God's grace.

So yes, I think it is possible to consider baptism to be an immersion into the reality of the Trinity. After all, what is more important; the water or the Trinity? The Trinity of course! What are we baptised into if we are not baptised into God? Water baptism signifies, seals, and ratifies an immersion into the life of God, the Trinitarian reality.

For the early church the spiritual reality of immersion into the Triune God is both a ratification and a visible signifier of presumtive regeneration. Sometimes water baptism (paedo-baptism) precedes regeneration i.e. it is the sacrament of prospective grace. Sometimes water baptism follows regeneration (credo-baptism) i.e. it is the retrospective ratification of saving grace received.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Old Grey Whistler
Shipmate
# 11266

- Posted      Profile for Old Grey Whistler   Author's homepage   Email Old Grey Whistler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Errrm... A sign of prospective grace? If Grace is God's free action how can we know in advance what he will do in His freedom?

Baptism in anticipation of conversion sounds like sex in anticipation of marriage and lots of nice girls have got in trouble with that one.

Actually, it is more unreliable since the clergyman can not move God's hand whereas the rascal who promises marriage has the ability to come good on the promise.

If baptism is simply a general sign that God saves people it becomes irrelevant to the baby. Baptising a doll would work as well.

--------------------
Prov 17:28 Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace;When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.
www.15tg.freeserve.co.uk

Posts: 70 | From: East London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptism is not done in anticipation of conversion. It is done in the knowledge that the child of a believing family will be brought up as a believer, and unless they opt out of the faith and back in, will neither have nor need a conversion.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Grey Whistler
Shipmate
# 11266

- Posted      Profile for Old Grey Whistler   Author's homepage   Email Old Grey Whistler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok... got me.

Substitute regeneration for conversion and see if my post makes sense then.

--------------------
Prov 17:28 Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace;When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.
www.15tg.freeserve.co.uk

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm refering to the presbyterian position of presumtive regeneration i.e. the child is presumed regenerate on the basis of God's covenant faithfulness until such time as they prove otherwise.. Try reading the prodigal son through such a lens. [Smile]

[ 20. April 2006, 18:46: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Grey Whistler:
Ok... got me.

Not really. In my experience, regeneration takes place after conversion.

And a kid who's always been a Christian - what does regeneration mean in their case?

--------------------

Old Grey Whistler
Shipmate
# 11266

Regeneration = being born (again or from above) as in Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus in John 3.

Without one will not even see the Kingdom of God even if one is a child of the covenant (as Nicodemus undoubtedly was).

--------------------
www.15tg.freeserve.co.uk

Shipmate
# 76

Oh right. So when does this occur for the children of believers who are brought up as believers?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Well, it's worth noting that if you take 'anothen'
to mean "from above", the time reference implicit in "again" (i.e. it has to happen at some particular point in time) is erased. It means that you have to be born into the life than comes from above, i.e. the life of heaven - or maybe better, that that life has to be born in you. There's no indication that that has to be a point-event. It can presumably be a process. Myself, I'd say that a child born into the Christian faith (a notion I have no problems with) emerges into a Christian world of language, and is brought up in that world. In the mainstream Protestant tradition,(infant) baptism and (adult) confirmation would be rites of passage in terms of the life of heaven. As to when exactly the life of heaven is born in an individual, I'd say "God only knows". It's maybe a bit analogous to the question "When was I more than a bundle of cells?" And maybe there's more than one answer to both.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Regeneration = being born (again or from above) as in Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus in John 3.

Without one will not even see the Kingdom of God even if one is a child of the covenant (as Nicodemus undoubtedly was).

This is the essential problem with the credo-baptist position. They claim that regeneration is a 'point event' that is ratified and personally witnessed to by water baptism, usually in adulthood. The problem with this is that they still treat their children as little Christians (i.e. they practice presumptive regeneration) rather than treating them as little unregenerate sinners.

The point is this: most credo-baptists actively catechise their children; they don't in practice stick to evangelising them which they should if they lived their theology with complete integrity.

Credo-baptist Sundya Schools teach children to pray, to call Jesus 'Lord', to trust God's promises etc. and yet, when asked, they'll tell you that their children are unregenerate. It's total nonsense!

Question to a credo-baptist: Is it ever appropriate to treatl an unregenerate sinner as if they are already saved?

Answer: No it isn't ever appropriate to treat and unregenerate sinner as if they are saved, unless they happen to be a child in our Sunday School of course!

[ 21. April 2006, 13:15: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

Shipmate
# 76

Which is rather the point. The fundamental contradiction of the credo-baptist position is that it treats young children as Christians in every way except admitting them to the Rite which - erm - identifies a person as a Christian - Baptism.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Ok... got me.

Not really. In my experience, regeneration takes place after conversion.

And a kid who's always been a Christian - what does regeneration mean in their case?

And of course some of us Christians who were baptized as infants believe our "conversion" or "regeneration" began/occurred at that point.

I know it's fashionable to assume a period of doubt after which there is owned belief -- and no doubt it's normal -- but I and at least two of my friends (all anglican, but of different ages and from different parts of the country, and with radically differnt kinds of belief on the part of parents and godparents) have all managed without doubt. Other spiritual issues yes, but not doubt.

We can testify to a continuous process of growth -- and no beginning point except the pouring of water on an infant head.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

John, do you think 'it' actually began with the sprinkling or before? For me I believe 'it' began before I was even conceived!

Karl, I'm really glad that you and I agree on something! I was beginnibg to wonder if it would ever happen! [Smile]

[ 21. April 2006, 16:57: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to locate it at baptism, because that's what's promised in baptism, IMO. The process, as you say, started long before -- long before my parents were conceived, for that matter. But when we go there, we move into areas of theology that are highly theoretical, and I'll admit to being not terribly interested in asking questions to which there can be, in this life, no answers.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Fair enough. It seems to me that baptism is entry into reciprocal covenantal faithfulness. Of course God's faithfulness precedes the sacrament but our faithfulness, IMO, properly follows it.
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the truth of the matter Numps is that neither infant or adult baptism ensures faithfulness. I know plenty of adults who have received a believers baptism and stopped believing, often with an ensuing guilt complex.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
But the truth of the matter Numps is that neither infant or adult baptism ensures faithfulness. I know plenty of adults who have received a believers baptism and stopped believing, often with an ensuing guilt complex.

P

Agreed. Which is precisely why we can deny Christ but he can't deny himself; no matter how cheesed off he is with us.
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
But the truth of the matter Numps is that neither infant or adult baptism ensures faithfulness.

P

This is such an important and basic point for me that it rather allows the rest of the discussion to disappear into watery oblivion.

I think we agree on these things:

1. The basic meaning of baptism must involve water, and Psyduck's earlier summary of what the lexicons say is no different to what I think.

2. Baptism can have an extended metaphorical meaning, not only in present-day usage but in 1st-2nd century usage. I found Moo's example fascinating. But no need to go outside the four gospels. Does anyone dispute that 'baptism' in Mark 10:39 is metaphorical, and involves no water whatsoever?

3. As for the Romans 6 of OP, I think it is metaphorical but I lack the energy to deny that water could be involved. I don't think it is, and it seems both bizarre and out of context to assert that it must.

But look, I'm not going to go for the stake for it, but if I ever were to go to the stake I would hope that you would be kind enough to baptize me early and often.

Cheers,

Gordon

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Old Grey Whistler
Shipmate
# 11266

Well you leave a thread for a couple of days and it grows like crazy.

It is funny reading that we "credo-baptists" believe stuff which many of us don't. Let me briefly state what I do believe.

1. Regeneration. A secret breathing of eternal life into a person by which the Holy Breathe recreates us. The event is only known by its fruit of faith and repentence. No clergyman may precipitate it by "baptism" nor any person induce it in himself by an act of will.

2. Catechising and evangelism. Essentially the same thing. We teach Christ as King to all who will listen. It is the Word taught and proclaimed which is the main means of regeneration in those who are of a responsible age.

3. Baptism. The end of conversion in which the person made willing by regeneration, faith and repentance clothes himself with Christ and through the ministry of a church of Christ receives the promise of eternal remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Spirit and unity with Christ in His death and resurrection.

It is normal for people to know little of how or when the moment of regeneration occurs. The great thing about Baptism of conscious believers is that it is a fixed point in their history from which Paul can argue in Romans 6. Try to apply the argument to people who were "done" as babies today.

--------------------
www.15tg.freeserve.co.uk

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Gordon Cheng:
quote:
I found Moo's example fascinating.
Moo's example is completely beside the point. It's paralleled by numbers of citations in Liddell and Scott, all of which are clearly metaphors based on inundation, as is hers. I said this previously. Indeed you yourself said
quote:
1. The basic meaning of baptism must involve water, and Psyduck's earlier summary of what the lexicons say is no different to what I think.
Which means that you are contradicting yourself here.

quote:
But no need to go outside the four gospels. Does anyone dispute that 'baptism' in Mark 10:39 is metaphorical, and involves no water whatsoever?
I do. For the same reason. I said so above. I think that was also Alan Cresswell's point above. "Baptism" here means "initiation", means Christian initiation, through water, invoking the death of Christ. You could hold this to be the case because it constitutes a prophecy of Jesus' death, and links it to that of the two disciples, or you could hold that it represents evidence for the fusion of baptism and the death of Christ - as in Romans 6 - in the tradition Mark inherited. Either way, the assumption that there's something called "baptism" in the Christian tradition that doesn't involve being baptised - which is what you're really saying-is completely untenable.

quote:
3. As for the Romans 6 of OP, I think it is metaphorical but I lack the energy to deny that water could be involved. I don't think it is, and it seems both bizarre and out of context to assert that it must.
You are simply asserting this. You haven't actually argued it anywhere.
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

OGW:
quote:
The great thing about Baptism of conscious believers is that it is a fixed point in their history from which Paul can argue in Romans 6.
But Luther, when in the depths of bipolar depression, could write on the table in front of him "Baptizatus sum" - "I have been baptized" (sc. as an infant)and painstakingly build everything else back up from there. I don't see how believers' baptism adds anything to that. Anyway, as I say, the logic of Paul's theology of grace, esp. Romans 5: 1ff., seems to me to legitimate infant baptism completely. (I think we may be in danger of segueing over here into the territory of the Purg. thread on rebaptism.)

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gordon Cheng:
quote:
I found Moo's example fascinating.
Moo's example is completely beside the point. It's paralleled by numbers of citations in Liddell and Scott, all of which are clearly metaphors based on inundation, as is hers. I said this previously. Indeed you yourself said
quote:
Which means that you are contradicting yourself here.

No, the metaphorical meaning of baptism need not involve water. A baptism of fire does not involve water. That neither changes the base meaning of the word, nor does it involve contradiction.

quote:
quote:
Me: But no need to go outside the four gospels. Does anyone dispute that 'baptism' in Mark 10:39 is metaphorical, and involves no water whatsoever?
quote:
Psyduck: I do. For the same reason. I said so above. I think that was also Alan Cresswell's point above.

"Baptism" here means "initiation", means Christian initiation, through water, invoking the death of Christ.

You say this even though water is not mentioned in the Mark passage, and the context dictates that something other than water is on view.

quote:
You are simply asserting this. You haven't actually argued it anywhere.
Not true; I've already noted that the context nowhere mentions water, and that the flow of the argument is entirely to do with Christ's death. The context suggests a metaphorical usage.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
Not true; I've already noted that the context nowhere mentions water, and that the flow of the argument is entirely to do with Christ's death. The context suggests a metaphorical usage.

Paul's reference begins with an "unmarked" use of the term "baptism": "are ye ignorant that all we who were baptised into Christ Jesus..." (6.3 (RV)). Paul is referring to something that is common knowledge, common experience - so much so that he feels free to say "Or are ye ignorant?" He is talking about Christian A-B-C stuff here, something that any Christian would know - so he doesn't need to spell out the details of what "baptism" is.

But a very different question. If you were preaching a sermon to a mixed group of people (i.e. Christians and non-Christians), and somebody came up to you afterwards and said, "I was really struck by what you said about Christ rising from the dead and being Lord ... How do I become a Christian?" - what would you answer? What does the evangelised, convicted non-Christian need to do to "tie the knot" or "step over the line" or "join the club"? I am not asking for a scripturally correct answer here, but for what you would in practice do. What would happen at Sydney Anglican churches if someone expressed a desire to become a Christian?

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:

Paul's reference begins with an "unmarked" use of the term "baptism": "are ye ignorant that all we who were baptised into Christ Jesus..." (6.3 (RV)). Paul is referring to something that is common knowledge, common experience - so much so that he feels free to say "Or are ye ignorant?" He is talking about Christian A-B-C stuff here, something that any Christian would know - so he doesn't need to spell out the details of what "baptism" is.

That is, I think, the strongest argument for the Romans 6 'baptism' to be one that involves water. (Oh, and thanks for changing your name MSHB, an act of great kindness to the entire community [Smile] ) Even here, however, it assumes that the early Christians knew of no other baptism than one that involved water. But I do think, pace Psyduck, that Mark 10 is an example of non-water baptism; likewise I think that when Jesus commands baptism "into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in Mt 28, he is saying a new (and metaphorical) thing. Otherwise he could simply have commanded baptism, and left the statement unqualified in any way.

quote:
But a very different question. If you were preaching a sermon to a mixed group of people (i.e. Christians and non-Christians), and somebody came up to you afterwards and said, "I was really struck by what you said about Christ rising from the dead and being Lord ... How do I become a Christian?" - what would you answer?
Probably something like "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household." (Acts 17:31)

Psyduck and others will probably point out that in Acts 17, the jailer and his household were baptised, and that in the context it's hard to see that this could be anything other than water baptism. That is fair enough, and I wouldn't want to deprive new Christians of an important symbol of belief. I myself decided to get baptized as an Anglican at the age of 15, shortly after I'd become a Christian. But notice that the cause of rejoicing (in Acts 17 :34 and today) is believing in God.

quote:
What does the evangelised, convicted non-Christian need to do to "tie the knot" or "step over the line" or "join the club"? I am not asking for a scripturally correct answer here, but for what you would in practice do. What would happen at Sydney Anglican churches if someone expressed a desire to become a Christian?
Some churches invite people to show their commitment by walking up to the front of the church and joining in a public prayer prayed by the preacher. Others ask people to pray that prayer privately and to fill in a form indicating that they've done this. Either way, you would expect the person to be put in contact with another Christian and followed up in some way, eg by doing a short series of bible studies on what it means to be a Christian.

Water baptism would be an option but not one that would be pushed particularly heavily. Often if new believers are from an Asian background, they decide to pursue this option as it makes a clear public statement about what they believe has already privately occurred, ie, their sins have been forgiven and they've become followers of the Lord Jesus.

I think declaring yourself as a Christian publicly is an important thing to do, and water baptism often communicates this admirably and in a way that is completely consistent with biblical precedent.

I am not completely comfortable with Cranmer's phrase from the Book of Common Prayer which speaks of the "mystical washing away of sins", but once it's understood that he believes only in baptismal regeneration for the elect, it is reasonably close to what I believe.

Most Sydney Anglicans would, I think, see water baptism as a useful symbol of what God has done for the individual in Christ. It's a bit like putting on the team colours. You are identifying with the team, but you are not really part of the team unless you actually run onto the field with your team and kick the ball in the right direction.

But I digress.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Gordon Cheng:
quote:
(I said) You are simply asserting this. You haven't actually argued it anywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true;

It is, actually. Look - you're doing it again!
quote:
I've already noted [read] stated - unsupported] that the context nowhere mentions water,
And many of us disagree. But all you do, Gordon, is state it again.
quote:
and that the flow of the argument [see how hardit is to keep references to liquid out of it!!] is entirely to do with Christ's death.
Of course it is. Paul is saying that baptism is into the death of Christ.
quote:
The context suggests a metaphorical usage.
Quite the reverse. The context suggests an explanatoon of the meaning of water-baptism.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
likewise I think that when Jesus commands baptism "into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in Mt 28, he is saying a new (and metaphorical) thing. Otherwise he could simply have commanded baptism, and left the statement unqualified in any way.

Jesus would need to qualify his command because there were a number of different baptisms on the market. There was the baptism of repentance that John performed, and quite possibly some of Johns disciples were continuing to perform. Baptism formed part of the process by which God-fearing Gentiles became accepted within the Jewish faith. These were all baptisms that involved water.

Jesus is here commanding baptism as part of the making of disciples; disciples who would love and serve God the Father, redeemed through the Son and empowered by the Spirit. It's a baptism that picks up some elements of other baptisms; there's an element of repentance from past sins, and an element of initiation into the faith (that's a renewed, enriched Jewish faith). I suspect that the "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" bit is a fairly late addition to the tradition to counter movements that were only performing baptisms into the name of Jesus or the Father (or, indeed, only considered Spirit Baptism to be valid). I certainly see nothing to indicate any sort of non-water baptism being meant here.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
I've already noted [read] stated - unsupported] that the context nowhere mentions water,

And many of us disagree. But all you do, Gordon, is state it again. [/QUOTE]

Okaaay... where does Paul mention 'water' in Romans?

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
likewise I think that when Jesus commands baptism "into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in Mt 28, he is saying a new (and metaphorical) thing. Otherwise he could simply have commanded baptism, and left the statement unqualified in any way.

Jesus would need to qualify his command because there were a number of different baptisms on the market. There was the baptism of repentance that John performed, and quite possibly some of Johns disciples were continuing to perform. Baptism formed part of the process by which God-fearing Gentiles became accepted within the Jewish faith. These were all baptisms that involved water.
Precisely. And the baptism that Jesus brought was into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Whether it involved water can't be assumed, and that we have seen in Matthew's gospel there is a contrast between John's water baptism and Jesus' fire baptism (Mt 3:11).

quote:
I suspect that the "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" bit is a fairly late addition to the tradition to counter movements that were only performing baptisms into the name of Jesus or the Father (or, indeed, only considered Spirit Baptism to be valid).
Textual evidence please?

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
(Oh, and thanks for changing your name MSHB, an act of great kindness to the entire community [Smile] )

That's me. Quietly earning the gratitude of the whole ship, as Basso so rightly pointed out. I have a 19 inch monitor at home and a 24 inch monitor at work, so my name never looked that big to me.
quote:
Psyduck and others will probably point out that in Acts 17, the jailer and his household were baptised, and that in the context it's hard to see that this could be anything other than water baptism.
I would also point out that on the Day of Pentecost, when convicted Jews approached the apostles asking what they should do, Peter replied, "Repent ye and be baptised everyone of you...and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him." (Acts 2.38-39 (RV)). It seems not only that the apostles preached baptism, but saw it as applying to "all that afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him". This, to me, seems completely in accord with the Great Commission to "go into all the world ... making disciples ... baptising them".

Then in Acts 8 we have the Samaritans: "But when they believed Philip preaching good tidings ... they were baptised, both men and women." (8.12) And the Ethiopian eunuch, "Behold, here is water. What doth hinder me to be baptised?" (8.36ff) - very clearly *water* baptism. And Cornelius and his assembly in Acts 10: "Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptised, which have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptised..." (10.47f)

It seems to me that we have a definite statement of the theory ("Go into all the world ... making disciples ... baptising them") and that it was preached and practiced, time after time, in Acts - not just in Acts 17. No wonder Paul could take baptism as the universal experience of NT Christians when he wrote to the Romans. The onus is really on them that would deny it: there is "one Lord, one faith, *one* baptism" (Eph 4.5 - my emphasis).

quote:
That is fair enough, and I wouldn't want to deprive new Christians of an important symbol of belief.
I think this is the rub. In the NT church, people were baptised as soon as they heard the gospel, were convicted by it, and expressed a desire to become a Christian ("Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and the rest of the apostles, Brethren, what shall we do?" Acts 2.37 (RV) - Peter's answer was given above).

You see baptism as merely a symbol - an act, that describes a person's turning to God, performed *after* that turning has taken place. I see (and think the NT sees) baptism as the actual, initial act of commitment or turning itself - like an immigrant taking the oath of allegiance (Latin sacramentum) and *thereby* becoming an Australian citizen. Until I sign a cheque, my intention to transfer money is a mere subjective plan; once I sign the cheque, the transfer is authorised - I am committed to it. Ditto signing the contract of sale when buying a house. These are not mere symbols - they are commitments. NT baptism was no mere symbol (a concept foreign to the NT church) but an actual life-changing act of commitment.

The modern idea of baptism as merely a symbol runs into all sorts of scriptural problems. It also denies the unanimous testimony of the early church that baptism was the way a non-Christian becomes a Christian.

And if we don't understand the NT view of baptism, we won't understand Romans 6. Paul's comments about baptism presuppose that a non-Christian was, in the act of baptism, submitting to Christ for the first time, and thereby becoming a Christian. So that particular baptism *is* a death with regard to sin, and rising with regard to Christ. It is no mere symbol.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

MSHB, if I were to argue for the necessity of water baptism, yours is the argument I would favour. It is by far the strongest of the various arguments that have been presented here as you argue not on purely linguistic grounds but treat the narrative framework of the gospels and Acts with due seriousness.

However, I am not sure that the Acts accounts need to be seen as more than a description of a well-known Jewish ceremony that was taken up by the early church as (firstly) a culturally appropriate way to publicly initiate Jewish Christians into membership of the new covenant, and (secondly) a way of demonstrating to all and sundry that Gentiles, too, were to be included alongside the people of Israel. How is this any less plausible than what you have suggested?

Although it is an argument from silence, if this rite was so important to the apostolic church, where are the references to water baptism in Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians (!), Philemon, the Pastorals, Jude, James, the Johannine epistles and Revelation?

quote:
You see baptism as merely a symbol - an act, that describes a person's turning to God, performed *after* that turning has taken place. I see (and think the NT sees) baptism as the actual, initial act of commitment or turning itself - like an immigrant taking the oath of allegiance (Latin sacramentum) and *thereby* becoming an Australian citizen. Until I sign a cheque, my intention to transfer money is a mere subjective plan; once I sign the cheque, the transfer is authorised - I am committed to it. Ditto signing the contract of sale when buying a house. These are not mere symbols - they are commitments. NT baptism was no mere symbol (a concept foreign to the NT church) but an actual life-changing act of commitment.

8< etc.- lots of good stuff >8

This is a sophisticated view of the baptismal symbol that seems to go well beyond the evidence of the text. But let me ask one question at this point—why do you refer to 'NT baptism"? Wouldn't it be more accurate to refer to "baptisms"? We know of at least two—the baptism of John and the baptism of the early Christian believers. I am reasonably confident there were more.

Out of curiosity, how would you explain the fact that Jesus baptized no-one? And what is your view of the thief on the cross? That he would of if he could of?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the baptism that Jesus brought was into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Whether it involved water can't be assumed

But, for it not to involve water when every other example of baptism we know of (John's baptism of repentance or more normal Jewish baptisms) did involve water can't be assumed either. In fact, you have a pattern that has John standing in a river baptising people with water, Jewish properties built with large pools for ritual washing, baptism with water as an initiation into Judaism and later references in Acts to the definite use of water in baptism not to mention a considerable amount of testimony that the practice of the earliest Christians was to baptise with water. That means that an assumption that here Matthew is recording something that doesn't involve water is a much bigger assumption.

I can point to numerous examples where water was certainly involved. In fact I did so earlier, and MSHB has also repeated many of those references. Can you point to a single example of someone being baptised where there's certainly no water involved? I'm talking about a reference along the lines of "and, he was baptised", rather than some metaphorical use of the term 'baptism' akin to modern English uses such as "baptism of fire". I'm happy for you to expand your parameters beyond the uncontested canon of the NT; maybe something in the letters of Clement or Ignatius, or the Didache. Though I strongly suspect that other early documents would greatly support the position that baptism always involved water.

quote:
quote:
I suspect that the "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" bit is a fairly late addition to the tradition to counter movements that were only performing baptisms into the name of Jesus or the Father (or, indeed, only considered Spirit Baptism to be valid).
Textual evidence please?
The "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" bit seems like a later addition because it's a formulaic saying that Jesus himself doesn't use elsewhere. And, it's one that doesn' appear in the earlier documents (eg: Pauls letters) either. It could be something Jesus actually said, but it just doesn't seem all that likely.

That there were other forms of baptism which didn't use the "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" formula is probable, but what those were (and whether their existance resulted in the formulaic phrase being included in Matthew) is speculative.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
the baptism that Jesus brought was into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Whether it involved water can't be assumed

I can point to numerous examples where water was certainly involved. In fact I did so earlier, and MSHB has also repeated many of those references. Can you point to a single example of someone being baptised where there's certainly no water involved?
In the epistles, all the references to Christian baptism are metaphorical except for Paul's dismissive comments in 1 Corinthians 1. Apart from 1 Corinthians 1 there are 6 references in the epistles to baptism of Christians*, and they all occur in the context of other discussions. They are best understood as an inclusion into the sufferings and death of Christ, ie the baptism of Mark 10:38-39.

*1 Corinthians 12, 1 Corinthians 15, Galatians 3, Ephesians 4, Colossians 2, 1 Peter 3 (1 Cor 10 and Heb 6 are references to Jewish washings. Interestingly 1 Corinthians 10 necessarily involves no contact between the believer and any water whatsoever, or they are not saved)

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:

*1 Corinthians 12, 1 Corinthians 15, Galatians 3, Ephesians 4, Colossians 2, 1 Peter 3 (1 Cor 10 and Heb 6 are references to Jewish washings. Interestingly 1 Corinthians 10 necessarily involves no contact between the believer and any water whatsoever, or they are not saved)

Oops, meant to include Romans 6 and exclude 1 Corinthians 15. 1 Corinthians 15 is a proxy baptism on behalf of a dead person, and despite NT precedent is not practised by major Christian denominations.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the Ethiopian eunuch, "Behold, here is water. What doth hinder me to be baptised?" (8.36ff) - very clearly *water* baptism.

Indeed and the other thing which strikes me about that story each time we here it (as we did at Mass one day this week) is that Philip's explanation of the scriptures to him (starting from Isaiah 53) and who Jesus was obviously included explaining baptism so that he knew to ask for it. This indicates to me that baptism (in water) was an essential part of the early Christian message.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
And the Ethiopian eunuch, "Behold, here is water. What doth hinder me to be baptised?" (8.36ff) - very clearly *water* baptism.

Indeed and the other thing which strikes me about that story each time we here it (as we did at Mass one day this week) is that Philip's explanation of the scriptures to him (starting from Isaiah 53) and who Jesus was obviously included explaining baptism so that he knew to ask for it. This indicates to me that baptism (in water) was an essential part of the early Christian message.

Carys

No question that the Ethiopian eunuch's baptism was a water baptism. However, as a Jewish proselyte who was completely convinced of the truth of the Jewish religion (Acts 8:27) and had come to Jerusalem to worship, there is also no question that he would have been completely familiar with the various Jewish baptisms that were on offer. Perhaps, I speculate, he was relieved to find a method of initiation into a clearly Jewish religion that didn't involve the use of a knife on his delicate bits.

Oh and just fill me in again on where any reference to baptism, or water, can be found in Isaiah 53? Although I suppose Isaiah 53:12, "he poured out his soul" is a clear and unmistakeable reference to the flowing water of the Jordan, so perhaps that's what you are referring to [Biased]

[ 23. April 2006, 23:26: Message edited by: Gordon Cheng ]

--------------------

jinglebellrocker
Shipmate
# 8493

- Posted      Profile for jinglebellrocker   Author's homepage   Email jinglebellrocker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Gordon Cheng
In the epistles, all the references to Christian baptism are metaphorical except for Paul's dismissive comments in 1 Corinthians 1. Apart from 1 Corinthians 1 there are 6 references in the epistles to baptism of Christians*, and they all occur in the context of other discussions. They are best understood as an inclusion into the sufferings and death of Christ, ie the baptism of Mark 10:38-39.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you are 100% right, Gordon. What would be the significance of this? Most Christians would agree that water baptism symbolises "inclusion in the suffering and death of Christ."

Are you saying that:
A) Water baptism was not as important to the early Church as most Christians suppose
B) Water baptism was not important to Paul
C) Water bapism is not important to Christianity at all
or
D) Water baptism is important, but not as important as what it symbolizes?

--------------------
For I know that my Redeemer lives,and at the last he will stand upon the earth. - Job 19:25

Posts: 243 | From: Madisonville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Both A. and B.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

A metaphor only works if it uses something that people recognise and understand; hence for 'baptism' to be used metaphorically then the people reading the Epistles would need to know what 'baptism' is. Rather than being some vaguely understood rite that the Jews performed, it's actually (IMO) far more likely that a) all Christians had been baptised in water and hence knew the rite, and that b) part of Christian baptism even then was an understanding that baptism was, in a way, a sharing in the death and resurrection of Christ.

quote:
1 Corinthians 15 is a proxy baptism on behalf of a dead person, and despite NT precedent is not practised by major Christian denominations.
I'm going to admit that Pauls passing reference to baptism in 1 Cor 15 isn't entirely clear what he's talking about. Certainly some practice in Corinth he can appeal to as part of his argument that there will be a resurrection. But beyond that it could be almost anything. It could even be just a washing of the body of the deceased (with water) before burial.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Oh and just fill me in again on where any reference to baptism, or water, can be found in Isaiah 53? Although I suppose Isaiah 53:12, "he poured out his soul" is a clear and unmistakeable reference to the flowing water of the Jordan, so perhaps that's what you are referring to [Biased]

If you read the account in Acts it says Philip told him about Jesus starting from the Isaiah passage. Of course, the Acts account is a very short summary of the conversation. I'm sure that a fair bit of biographical information about Jesus would have been imparted by Philip (the Ethiopian may well have heard a lot of stories about Jesus anyway), a mention of John the Baptist wouldn't have been that unusual - it's recorded in the Gospels we have, so why not in the material used by Philip and others in telling people about Jesus?

Besides, if water wasn't important to Philip why when the Ethiopian asked "here's water, what's to stop me being baptised?" didn't Philip respond "who needs water? John said of Jesus 'he'll baptise with the Holy Spirit'". That would save anyone getting wet.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Gordon Cheng
quote:

(I said) And many of us disagree. But all you do, Gordon, is state it again.

In the word ‘baptize’. You have already accepted that every time the word baptize is used, the idea of water is present.

quote:

I think that when Jesus commands baptism "into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in Mt 28, he is saying a new (and metaphorical) thing. Otherwise he could simply have commanded baptism, and left the statement unqualified in any way.

What, you mean that if Jesus had meant water-baptism, he would have left it to be done in silence, with no words?

Or are you saying that the addition of the Trinitarian formula can only mean that this is just John’s baptism with go-faster stripes?

Nobody’s disputing a degree of continuity with John’s baptism. Just as there’s a continuity between John’s preaching and Jesus’. The point is that both Romans 6 and Mark 10 make it clear that for the early church, water-baptism was indissolubly linked with the death of Christ. The Romans text in particular embodies the transformation of the rite which is affected by the death of Christ. I’d say – and did – that Mark 10 does that too. Hence:
quote:

Out of curiosity, how would you explain the fact that Jesus baptized no-one?

When we Protestants say that Jesus only instituted two sacraments, we mean in substantial part that he did so by his death on the Cross. You could argue that in a sense the Thief on the Cross was caught up in the saving event to the extent that he was the first-baptized. And in any case, there’s no possibility that he could be baptized, which is the kybosh for the Augustinian monstrosity that no-baptism=no-salvation. For most of the rest of us, being taken into the saving event of Christ means water-baptism – which as Paul says, in Romans 6, is baptism into the death of Christ. This, by the way, is the position of the Westminster Confession. Which is why you could summarize the Presbyterian position as that baptism is terribly, terribly important. But not absolutely essential to salvation. But so terribly, terribly important, that its neglect is sufficient to bring faith into question. That’s a hard, seventeenth-century position, of course, and my own is that I’m very respectful of people who withhold baptism from infants on coscientions grounds. But then, that’s hardly “neglect”…

quote:

But I do think, pace Psyduck, that Mark 10 is an example of non-water baptism;

Again this is just assertion. But it’s a bizarre assertion. You are saying that the death of Christ is baptism, that the disciples will share in a death-for-Christ which will to some extent (not made explicit) a sharing in Christ’s death – and this is baptism without water! This makes absolutely no sense. This isn’t metaphor. This is to say that the baptism means the death of Christ, and that it’s only its application to the Christian water-rite that is metaphor! And that, basically, is your interpretation of Romans 6. Baptism here means the death of Christ, and refers metaphorically to the water-rite! That’s just potty!

quote:

Psyduck and others will probably point out that in Acts 17, the jailer and his household were baptised, and that in the context it's hard to see that this could be anything other than water baptism.

You mean that there’s the remotest possibility that it could be something else than water-baptism? Go on! Make my day! Suggest what else it could have been.

quote:

But notice that the cause of rejoicing (in Acts 17 :34 and today) is believing in God.

More sand thrown in the eyes.

You also skim over the implication of the fact that “the jailer and his family” were baptised – with all that that might mean for paedobaptism positions.

quote:

Some churches invite people to show their commitment by walking up to the front of the church and joining in a public prayer prayed by the preacher. Others ask people to pray that prayer privately and to fill in a form indicating that they've done this. Either way, you would expect the person to be put in contact with another Christian and followed up in some way, eg by doing a short series of bible studies on what it means to be a Christian.

Gordon, is this seriously your view of the practice of the NT church? Thought not. And in particular, where is any of this in Acts 8? The eunuch is baptised, becomes a Christian, and goes off to Candace. Water baptism is clearly a “thing in itself” which makes him a Christian. If Philip shared any of your preconceptions, as expressed in your posts, he couldn’t have baptised him as he did.

Hence:
quote:

No question that the Ethiopian eunuch's baptism was a water baptism. However, as a Jewish proselyte who was completely convinced of the truth of the Jewish religion (Acts 8:27) and had come to Jerusalem to worship, there is also no question that he would have been completely familiar with the various Jewish baptisms that were on offer.

Haenchen doesn’t believe that he was necessarily Jewish – and holds that the description Aιθιψ reinforces it. His point is the deliberate ambiguity of Luke, who is recognized as having a scheme which makes Peter the initiator of the Gentile mission. But even if he was – Carys’s point is still a clincher. He connects the Isaiah 53 passage with the death of Christ, and the faith which is expounded to him on the basis of that passage with baptism. In order to sustain your understanding that he could perhaps be understanding baptism in other-than-Christian terms, you would have to assume that Luke understood this baptism as a Jewish rite too. But the logic of that would have to be that Luke didn’t distinguish between Judaism and the Church – which is absurd, because in Acts 10, baptism is clearly entry into the Church for Gentiles without passing through the Jewish community. Unless you are going to hold that Peter believed that he’d made Cornelius a Jew by baptising him! Baptism in Acts 10 is clearly connected with admission to the Christian faith. So it must also be in Acts 8. The eunuch knew this – maybe it was part of the catechesis he was given there-and-then by Philip – but he asked to be made a Christian, and Philip’s response was to baptise him.

If, just after he’d uttered the words, the chariot had been totalled by a beamer jumping a red light, and the eunuch had died, I’d certainly have no problem saying that he’d died in the faith. But that’s all the concession I can make to you. And I don’t think it alters anything. The guy has decided to become a Christian. He does this by being baptised at the earliest possible moment. It’s only an Enlightenment-modern mindset that separates baptism off as you do, and turns it into an optional extra.

quote:

Perhaps, I speculate, he was relieved to find a method of initiation into a clearly Jewish religion that didn't involve the use of a knife on his delicate bits.

The guy was a eunuch for pity’s sake! Do you seriously think that if he was willing to forgo his cojones for a civil service job and pension [initially misspelled that ‘penison’ – who says there’s nothing in Freud…] he would have flinched at a nick somewhere else for the sake of the Kingdom?

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Out of curiosity, how would you explain the fact that Jesus baptized no-one?

Like Paul (I Cor 1.17), that wasn't his personal ministry. As Paul expected others to baptise the converts, so Christ delegated that task to his disciples ("Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John (although Jesus himself didn’t baptize, but his disciples)" Jn 4.2 (WEB)). Maybe he was getting them into practice for the Great Commission! [Smile]
quote:
And what is your view of the thief on the cross? That he would of if he could of?
Well, obviously, there was no opportunity.

This question rather resembles the issue of a will that has been drawn up according to the wishes of the testator, but is unsigned, which would normally invalidate the will. The testator was driving to the lawyer's office to sign the will, and was killed in a car accident. Was the will valid, on the basis that the testator *would* have signed it if they could? It would not surprise me if - in those circumstances - the unsigned will is valid.

But ... the deliberate failure to sign, where there is opportunity, is significant. If the testator got to the lawyer's office ... and then didn't sign the will, we would take that as proof, without further enquiry, that they were not happy with it for some reason. They failed to sign when they could - so it is not valid.

But the thief did all he could. He upbraided the other thief for bad-mouthing Christ, and begged Christ to accept him into his kingdom (when you "remember" someone in your will, you do something for them). This does not mean *we* should ignore baptism, just because the thief couldn't be baptised. He also failed to obey the command "Do this in remembrance of me", but we don't drop the celebration of holy communion on that basis.

(eta reference for quotation)

[ 24. April 2006, 13:25: Message edited by: MSHB ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think the reason Jesus baptized no one personally was a pretty easy one--because if that was on offer, nobody would ever choose to go to his disciples instead. His arms would drop off.

And in a couple of years, there would have been horrific arguments about whether being baptized by Christ himself made one spiritually superior or more valid than someone baptized by (say) Thomas.

A kind of baptismal succession, of sorts?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Regarding 1 Cor. 15.29:

quote:
Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? ESV
quote:
Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? NIV
quote:
Else what shall they do, that be baptized for dead men, if in no wise dead men rise again [if in all manner dead men rise not again]? whereto [also] be they baptized for them? John Wycliffe
I think that the ESV's 'on behalf of' is a mistranslation that alters the entire meaning of the text by introducing an entirely erronoeous category into the argument. I think it is possible that nearly all translations have got this one wrong! Here's why!

The entire passage is about the theoretical implications of Christ not being raised. It is a hypothetical argument. Paul is creating an entirely theoretical scenario. The scenario is based on the following logic. Paul: OK, if Jesus hasn't really risen from the dead, what about... baptism.

Here's what I think Paul is saying 1 Cor 15.29:

"Now if Jesus is still dead [i.e. there is no resurrection], what will those [i.e. us Christians!] do who are baptised for [the dead] Jesus?

As Wycliffe puts it:

quote:
Else what shall they do, that be baptized for dead men [i.e. a theoreticallty dead Jesus], if in no wise dead men rise again?
The 'the dead' in this passage is a theoretically dead Jesus (singular), not a unidentified bunch of dead Christians (plural). I think Paul is saying that baptism is for Jesus in terms of identification and not vicariously 'on behalf of' some unidentified category of the 'dead'.

So to put Paul's negative argument positively, baptism is for Jesus - who of course isn't dead - in the following ways:

• It is a proclamation of the gospel for Jesus i.e. He is risen In other words water baptism ceases to have meaning if the person into whom one is baptised is dead. You can't be baptised for the dead! Water baptism and Christ's resurrection are categorically inseparable. If Christ is dead, baptism is meaningless: this is Paul's point.
  • It is an act of worship. It is done for Jesus; it is a Jesus-ward action. It is for Jesus inasmuch as it glorifies Jesus (see 1 Cor 10.31). Christians do things for the glory of God, including baptism.
  • It is an act of obedience inasmuch as it is for Jesus.

This reading completely negates the concept of ritual baptism for some unidentified dead Christians (who incidentally are not dead according to Paul's theology anyway!). It also refocuses teh argument upon the risen Christ. Paul's point is this: the reality of the Christian Way - in this case water baptism - finds its locus in the reality of a risen Christ.

[ 24. April 2006, 14:09: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The guy was a eunuch for pity’s sake! Do you seriously think that if he was willing to forgo his cojones for a civil service job and pension [initially misspelled that ‘penison’ – who says there’s nothing in Freud…] he would have flinched at a nick somewhere else for the sake of the Kingdom?

Where does it say he was a voluntary eunuch?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m.t-tomb
I think that the ESV's 'on behalf of' is a mistranslation that alters the entire meaning of the text by introducing an entirely erronoeous category into the argument.

Both the Greek υπερ and English for can mean 'in behalf of', 'for the sake of'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by m.t-tomb
I think that the ESV's 'on behalf of' is a mistranslation that alters the entire meaning of the text by introducing an entirely erronoeous category into the argument.

Both the Greek υπερ and English for can mean 'in behalf of', 'for the sake of'.

Moo

OK. I think that Paul means to ask the question 'What if we are baptised for the sake of a dead Christ? not 'Why are we baptised for the sake of dead people in general?'

[ 24. April 2006, 17:12: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Gordon Cheng
quote:

(I said) And many of us disagree. But all you do, Gordon, is state it again.

In the word ‘baptize’. You have already accepted that every time the word baptize is used, the idea of water is present.

You have misread, or I have miswrote. Or actually, I suspect something else is going on, which shows why our impasse on Romans 6 is possibly insurmountable. I believe that you have radically misunderstood the nature of metaphor because of your prior commitment to the view that the word 'baptize' must, on each and every occurrence of that word, involve water.

When you report on this debate and tell your friends that "I certainly carved up the other fellow's argument!" I can only assume that you won't be surprised if they ask you to see the knife, seeing as how the idea of a "knife" is present every time someone talks about "carving". Or if you tell people that you were able to "shoot Gordon's argument down in flames", that you won't be surprised when family members begin to look for a gun or scorch marks, seeing as the words "shoot" and "flames" have been used, and they necessarily imply the presence of guns and fire, respectively.

I wouldn't mind if you'd argued that the word "baptize" in Romans 6 is non-metaphorical on other grounds (as some have), but you really seem to be saying that it's non-metaphorical "because my lexicon says so"—and actually, I don't think it does say so, but never mind.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016