homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: ECUSA vs. The C of E (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: ECUSA vs. The C of E
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete173:
This is the hierarchy of truth that everyone who swears canonical obedience assents to.

No, you misread canon C 15 1(1)
quote:
In the declaration you are about to make will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Christ to this generation and making him known to those in your care?
That is not assenting to anyone's hierarchy of truth.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still confused....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is +Pete saying that creeds and tradition don't matter, but scripture is important?

The conservatives on this side seem to continually use tradition to back up their claims, not scripture. Maybe that's a pond difference? (And I'm not saying that the liberals are using scripture either BTW...)

And yes, evangelism here is considered "church development". My currect diocese is considered a leader in evangelism, and we focus on how many people have come to Christ and how many new churches have been founded.

However, here focusing on evangelism and wanting to have more and more people know Christ means that we have to focus on our commonalities and what draws us together.

If we don't put the Body of Christ first in our priorities, then why would anyone want to be a Christian?

If we spend our time and energy on finding who isn't "Christian" then why would anyone want to come and join us if we seem to be purging members?

And to be quite honest, that's how the TEC and C of E's current problems are seen. And that's something that we have to deal with in one way or another.

I would be happy if when we elect a new bishop, the paper doesn't focus on their stance on homosexuality, but how they will bring Christ's good news to others. And I can't see that happening if we constantly talk about what seperates us and not what unites us.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moveable_type:
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
At Evensong in my parish, we DO say the same service word for word -- we use 1662.

Really? 'O Lord, save the Queen/And make thy chosen people joyful'?
Oh, ya got me. The one word we change is "State," for "Queen."

Otherwise, it's all 1662 all the time, right down to the obsolete "as we forgive them that trespass against us."

And, incidentally, I consider myself an orthodox member of the Anglican Communion, and therefore of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
Originally posted by Paige:
It is TEC (The Episcopal Church), because not all of our provinces are in the United States.

And that's another story. If I was a member of the Scottish Episcopal Church, I'd be a bit annoyed at you for that, particularly since they were there first [Biased]
Yeah, but they made us use their name! They wouldn't make Seabury a bishop if we didn't. And Americans being Americans even then, it naturally didn't occur to anyone at the time that they should have qualified the term "Episcopal" with anything other than "Protestant." [Big Grin]

quote:
I think we should rename the Church of England - after all, we have dioceses outside England. The Catholic Church has a nice ring to it.
Go for it!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

- Posted      Profile for jerusalemcross   Email jerusalemcross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
Originally posted by the coiled spring:
Callan posted
quote:
We know that ECUSA have got a gay Bishop which is hardly universally popular, there's been a well publicised incident with raisin cakes and naff mother goddess liturgy.
How do we know the Church of England does not have a gay matey?
[Killing me] [Killing me]

The problem isn't the gay bishop. It's the gay bishop being out of the closet. I'm sure the C of E has had an occasional gay priest or bishop.

"Occasional"....??!! Oh ye of much (apparently) naivete. I personally know at least 2 dozen gay clergy at all levels of hierarchy and all of them in "full" relationships. There must be an awful lot more just in the CofE as my experience is not unusual. The famous phrase "grey areas" (David Hope) is basically telling everyone that it's none of anyone's business unless the relationship is abusive, illegal, or manipulative and adversely affecting the life of the community. I would have no problem with being pastored by an openly gay priest either celibate by choice, or in an honest faithful, dedicated relationship and share that view with an awful lot of others. Considering the divorce rate amongst hetero clergy is astronomically high in comparison with other occupations, there must be something to be said for a faithful permanent relationship regardless of the gender of both parties.

And the fuss over Jeffrey John here was one of the worst pieces of ecclesiastical hypocrisy I've seen in ages. Especially as he was behaving according to the House of Bps own guidelines. The Bp of Oxford and Rowan should have told the objectors that it was none of their business and to b***er off. If they witheld their financial support, as threatened, then the CofE would refuse to pay for their clergy. Did the Evos of Birmingham object to a divorced and remarried (with still-living ex-spouse) Bishop when appointed, and get him removed? I think not.

Bp Robinson was elected in the full knowledge of who and what he was and his lifestyle. Bps here are not elected, they are appointed so there is little or no prior public knowledge if the candidate has chosen to cover up areas of his life. Only if one particular flavour of churchmanship decides to make an issue of it and goes digging for it will sexuality emerge.

The whole issue seems to be far more contentious in ECUSA,perhaps because of strong diocesan organisation and their relative independence with a weaker central government - the opposite of the CofE with its very centralised strong (well, they like to think they are!)General Synod. What's going to happen if a diocese decides to "secede" from ECUSA but parishes within that diocese don't want to do so?

--------------------
What's the difference between an organist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Posts: 305 | From: somewhere west of Eden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jerusalem cross:
... And the fuss over Jeffrey John here was one of the worst pieces of ecclesiastical hypocrisy I've seen in ages. Especially as he was behaving according to the House of Bps own guidelines. The Bp of Oxford and Rowan should have told the objectors that it was none of their business and to b***er off. If they witheld their financial support, as threatened, then the CofE would refuse to pay for their clergy. Did the Evos of Birmingham object to a divorced and remarried (with still-living ex-spouse) Bishop when appointed, and get him removed? I think not. ...

You know, I'd rather have some openly gay clergy, whether celibate or in committed relationships, than the Arians who are apparently running things in Sydney. Why doesn't anyone seem to worry about their heresies?

And as Laura noted recently in another thread, given that Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality but did condemn -- in rather strong language -- divorce and remarriage, I think I'd like a bit of consistency, please. Thank you.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what I don't understand regarding the criticism that gets levelled at +Katharine - in all of +Katharine's sermons that I've read, like her investiture sermon here, she explicitly links the MDGs with Scripture, both the prophetic visions of the Old Testament and the life and words of Jesus Christ. Her sermon here also seems pretty unexceptional, and again she makes her case for social action from a Scriptural basis.
So why do her critics imply that she ignores Scripture in favor of the MDGs? What am I missing?

+Pete, you might try checking out the "Office for Ministry Development" section of TEC's website - that's where most of the materials on living out your ministry as one of the baptized can be found. On this side of the pond, I suspect that for reasons having to do with Falwell, Robertson and the like, the word 'evangelical' tends to be avoided, which is a shame, because I (and many others, like some in this article here, would like the word back.

This is such an strange/fortuitous thread for me to be reading at this particular moment - my husband was offered an opportunity yesterday to do a stint in London or Oxford for 3-5 years, and in the initial discussions/thinking it through, I had assumed that, should this come to pass, I'd be attending my local C of E, which would, apart from some minor differences, be a familiar home. And to hear from a C of E bishop that this isn't the case makes me very sad.

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please don't misunderstand me - of course we are still in communion, and of course you would find a welcome and a home in the CofE.

I was responding to a request to explore why it is that ECUSA doesn't feel like home to me, which isn't the same thing at all. I don't want the split, but it's beginning to feel more likely. And I'm trying to keep the evangelical head-bangers on this side of the pond from leaving the CofE...

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
It is TEC (The Episcopal Church), because not all of our provinces are in the United States.

And that's another story. If I was a member of the Scottish Episcopal Church, I'd be a bit annoyed at you for that, particularly since they were there first [Biased]

I think we should rename the Church of England - after all, we have dioceses outside England. The Catholic Church has a nice ring to it.

I've often thought that the Anglican Church of Australia should be re-named, particularly since only one of its descriptors bears scrutiny by the Office of Fair Trading. So henceforth, when asked to which denomination I belong, I'll answer 'Australia'.
Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
quote:
Originally posted by Qestia:
...read all the proscribed bits from the Bible...

Why has ECUSA proscribed certain bits of the Bible?
I assume she meant 'prescribed', Smarty-boots.
[Hot and Hormonal] exactly so.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
I was responding to a request to explore why it is that ECUSA doesn't feel like home to me, which isn't the same thing at all. I don't want the split, but it's beginning to feel more likely. And I'm trying to keep the evangelical head-bangers on this side of the pond from leaving the CofE...

And I pray you have some success with that.

It seems based on what I've read on these two threads that you've got a very odd notion of what the Episcopal Church is like if you don't think scripture always comes first for us in the scripture-tradition-reason formula.

quote:
I'm looking for scripture to be the governing principle - and I don't need to rehearse the primary areas of disagreement that have led to the Windsor Report and the defections from ECUSA by the conservatives.
And I don't need to remind you that from a liberal perspective this is a difference of opinion over how to read certain passages of scripture, not over whether we ought to read scripture.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Rather a lot of uk C of E churches follow an (often evening) service of 30-mins modern choruses, prayers and notices 20 min preach and then a song/prayer at the end. Not that indistinguishable from a vineyard service really.

Many c of E churches arent robed up in the same way, many dont have robed choirs.

I dont think these really matter all that much in terms of Christianity - but from the ECUSA peeps I met (at a wonderful colorado meet) I dont think we could recognise each others traditions hardly at all! they were talking about pointing (singing from dots?) and arrangements of various sung bits (caticles?) and they could all follow a sung service that us 3 brits (and flausa maybe) couldnt follow at all...

Dear, I think you'll find that Anglo-Catholic congregations in the UK are proficient at these skills, too.
Well, there was an extremely high level of music geeking going on at that gathering (one cantor, two organists/choir directors, one semi-pro musician). I am grateful to tomb for explaining how "pointing" worked in a way that I could understand. At my church, the congregation is expected to sing Anglican chant (we are, I am told, unusual in this) but nobody had explained the rules to me [Biased] .

There also might be more than a trace of the old "discussion" we keep having about how the English don't get "the notes" in their hymnals, and the Americans (not just Piskies) do. The service Emma refers to had a printed service sheet that "had the notes" (except for Tallis' Canon, which we sang through once in practice) and all the words.

Mind you, the service was straight out of our standard-issue 1979 BCP, which all TEC congregations use in one form or another (and layfolk often possess for their private devotions).

Re the OP, I'm gobstruck as well. Before I toodled off to Seattle, I was admiring Pete's words re: "what we say instead of inerrancy", because it's something that comes up a lot on my side of the pond.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
+Pete--I really had no idea you were a bishop. I apologize for my less-than-respectful address to you earlier.

But you raise an issue that bothers me immensely. You state that you would leave the church if the liberals "won." Why?

What are we doing that is so awful you couldn't stay in the same church with us?

Everyone I know is a Trinitarian Christian. Everyone I know believes in a literal resurrection of Jesus Christ. We read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest scripture. We hold to the Nicene Creed and the Book of Common Prayer.

How does our belief that God calls women to the priesthood, or that He desires the full inclusion of gays and lesbians in the life of the community of faith, put us so far outside the pale that you would leave a church where we were in the majority?

I honestly don't understand. [Help]

--------------------
Sister Jackhammer of Quiet Reflection

Posts: 886 | From: Sweet Tea Land, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It honestly seems that if one would leave the church over such things, one is saying those things are more important than scripture and tradition and etc.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

- Posted      Profile for jerusalemcross   Email jerusalemcross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that +Rowan has announced the members of the "Covenant Design" group.
The Most Revd Drexel Gomez, West Indies
The Revd Victor Atta-Baffoe, West Africa
The Most Revd Dr John Chew, South East Asia
Ms Sriyanganie Fernando, Ceylon
The Revd Dr Kathy Grieb, USA
The Rt Revd Santosh Marray, Indian Ocean
The Most Revd John Neill, Ireland
The Revd Canon Andrew Norman, Archbishop of Canterbury's Representative
Chancellor Rubie Nottage, West Indies, Consultant
The Revd Dr Ephraim Radner, USA
Ms Nomfundo Walaza, Southern Africa
The Revd Canon Gregory Cameron, Anglican Communion Office, Secretary

From the names, can anyone deduce the general "flavour" of the group's makeup?

Also, it would seem that according to somep preliminary announcements a while ago, the CofE and presumably ECUSA would be among those who would be unable to sign up to any sort of "Covenant" as reflecting a consensus among the member dioceses. Discussion - or does this belong on another thread?

--------------------
What's the difference between an organist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Posts: 305 | From: somewhere west of Eden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
quote:
Originally posted by Pete173:
I suppose ECUSA feels like the CofE would if the liberals ever actually won. And if they did, I'd have left.

What exactly what you mean by liberal? I've not noticed anyone on this thread from the US sounding liberal, only orthodox.
Compared with you, darling, we're all Pope Benedict.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
And I don't need to remind you that from a liberal perspective this is a difference of opinion over how to read certain passages of scripture, not over whether we ought to read scripture.

Absolutely Ruty. Pete+: I'll bite. I think scripture is more important than reason and tradition. I think, however, that people of good will can differ over what scripture means.

[ 10. January 2007, 01:04: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jerusalemcross:
Robing is largely a matter of either preference or finances. Rarely theological or doctrinal positions.

That's really not true in the Church of England. An emphasis on tat is a very very strong indicator of either Anglo-Catholicism or Liberalism or both.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most, I think, would agree that it sits upon a proverbial three legged stool supported by Scripture, Tradition, and Reason.

Why?

Anglicanism has not traditionally seen scripture and tradition as co-equal legs. rather scripture is both foundational (as witnessing to Jesus christ) and correctional, in that it provides a limit to traditions. Thus far and no further. What is not provabel from scripture is not to be required.

Reason is a different case altogether. Reason, logic, is just another name for thinking done right. Or perhaps better thinking done reflectively. It can't be placed in opposition to scripture or tradition. Anyone studying scripture, or forming tradtion, inevitably has to be using reason. And the better they use reason the better they use scripture and tradition. Reason is not a different leg to the stool. Reason is more what the legs are made of. The stronger your reason the stronger your legs.

A more believable tripod would be scripture, tradition, and experience. A lot of people, especially in Methodist, or Holiness, or Pentecostal, or Charismatic traditions would require experience to be in there. And even then the Anglican (and other mainstram Protestant) tradition has been to give an authority to scripture over tradition and experience, because Scripture witnesses to tghe Incarnation and god's primary revelation to us,

But that doesn't exclude reason. We comprehend and absorb our experience by reason, by thinking and memory. Just as we read our Bibles with our reason, and listen to our teachers with out reason.

[ 10. January 2007, 01:51: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
...Did the Evos of Birmingham object to a divorced and remarried (with still-living ex-spouse) Bishop when appointed, and get him removed? I think not. ...

... Jesus ... did condemn -- in rather strong language -- divorce and remarriage, I think I'd like a bit of consistency, please. Thank you.

I thought that the C of E still had a pretty hard line on remarriage of divorced persons. How did that Bishop of Birmingham manage it if the heir to the throne can't?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that the particular Bishop of Birmingham in question (two bishops back) didn't remarry until after he was retired. (I presume he had to get a faculty first [Roll Eyes] as one does).

I have to be away from my computer until this evening. This is not the reasoned reply I promised.

I do have some sympathy for pete173's predicament (and Paige, I shouldn't worry about speaking to him as if he were a normal human being: that's why he comes on here, and it's one of his virtues---all the rest of the time people are politely abasing themselves, and it's bad for the character) as an open Evangelical bishop in the CofE, concerned to keep the more extreme evangelical sheep in the fold. I do get the impression that his views of TEC are not based on experience of it, or at the most, from an extraordinarily limited experience: lunch in the EDS cafeteria, perhaps. I wish we had a different Bishop Pete on here to offer a different viewpoint: +Peter of Worcester, who went to EDS (or ETS as it probably then was) and did his formative placement at (IIRC) San Quentin Prison. Theologically, he's certainly as orthodox as the bishop of Willesden, politically he may be a bit more liberal. Liberal enough that the loony end of the evangelical movement still frightens their children with his name. And yet I'm sure +Peter and +pete pray together, receive the sacraments from one another and consider themselves to be brother bishops in the CofE.

[ 10. January 2007, 06:52: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Most, I think, would agree that it sits upon a proverbial three legged stool supported by Scripture, Tradition, and Reason.

Why?

Anglicanism has not traditionally seen scripture and tradition as co-equal legs. rather scripture is both foundational (as witnessing to Jesus christ) and correctional, in that it provides a limit to traditions. Thus far and no further. What is not provabel from scripture is not to be required.

Reason is a different case altogether. Reason, logic, is just another name for thinking done right. Or perhaps better thinking done reflectively. It can't be placed in opposition to scripture or tradition. Anyone studying scripture, or forming tradtion, inevitably has to be using reason. And the better they use reason the better they use scripture and tradition. Reason is not a different leg to the stool. Reason is more what the legs are made of. The stronger your reason the stronger your legs.

A more believable tripod would be scripture, tradition, and experience. A lot of people, especially in Methodist, or Holiness, or Pentecostal, or Charismatic traditions would require experience to be in there. And even then the Anglican (and other mainstram Protestant) tradition has been to give an authority to scripture over tradition and experience, because Scripture witnesses to the Incarnation and god's primary revelation to us,

But that doesn't exclude reason. We comprehend and absorb our experience by reason, by thinking and memory. Just as we read our Bibles with our reason, and listen to our teachers with our reason.

Ken, this is marvellous stuff, and bears repetition if for only that reason. Kudos to you! [Overused]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some sympathy for +Pete's and Ken's position re Scripture being the longer leg; certainly I would read the 39 Arts as establishing the supremacy of Scripture as normative for Anglicanism. I've not seen an ECUSAn disagree with that on this thread; the disagreements are, as others have pointed out, how one interprets that supreme Scripture. It should also be said in +Pete;s defence that, as Amos has pointed out, he's far from the extreme Sydney-type end of the spectrum and seems, to me at least, much closer to the far more open evangelicalism of +Tom Wright.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
There also might be more than a trace of the old "discussion" we keep having about how the English don't get "the notes" in their hymnals, and the Americans (not just Piskies) do.

You have hymnals? Wow - I haven't used one of those in ages!

I think the key issue regarding Scriptural authority and culture is the authority and uniqueness of Jesus Christ.

You have to do some really badly stretched exposition to get anything else out of the Bible. It's about as clear as it could possibly be that after Jesus:
  • people who are in Christ / have faith in Christ / obey Christ / whatever get to God
  • those who aren't / don't don't get to God (leaving aside some debate over what comes next)

It's about as clear as it could possibly be on the importance for people of all other religions needing to become Christians. (Jews, pagans - there weren't many Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc in the Roman Empire but it's obvious they'd be in too)

So when I hear KJS (for example) refusing to say that and strongly implicitly denying it, I worry about her. And when I hear bishops and ministers in the C of E denying it, I wonder which Bible they're reading or whether they're so enslaved to this culture that they miss or reject the abundantly clear teaching of the Bible.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
It's about as clear as it could possibly be on the importance for people of all other religions needing to become Christians. (Jews, pagans - there weren't many Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc in the Roman Empire but it's obvious they'd be in too)

[SNIP]

So when I hear KJS (for example) refusing to say that and strongly implicitly denying it, I worry about her. And when I hear bishops and ministers in the C of E denying it, I wonder which Bible they're reading or whether they're so enslaved to this culture that they miss or reject the abundantly clear teaching of the Bible.

Custard---it is as clear as it can be to YOU. You've been on here long enough to know that a statement like "they miss or reject the abundantly clear teaching of the Bible" is inflammatory and insulting.

Go back to the earliest Church Fathers and you can find universalists. I read the same Bible you do, and I see that Jesus IS the way to the Father---no matter what faith you might be practicing before you get to meet Him. It's abundantly clear to ME that Jesus isn't going to cast all the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc., into Hell because they didn't convert.

So where does that leave us?

Apparently, it means that some people think I'm "so enslaved to the culture" that they can't even take Communion with me.

What does that say about their faith? That it can be tainted by the likes of me?

Amos--I take your point. I just felt a little sheepish about prooftexting to a bishop... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The stuff about bishops suspending clergy and bullying congregations and constant litigation is continually reported this side of the pond, and not just by the evangelical extremists.

What? And Bishops in the CofE never take steps against clergy they don't like and congregations they find troublesome? Pur-lease... Not even the Nazi of Rochester? Or that interesting fellow my Lord of Carlisle? Or any liberal bishop facing an FiF-leaning church? Really? Never? Even our own wet blanket of a 'matey' has played some funny old games with parishes which he does not, for some reason, approve of.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thanks to all those who replied to my, admittedly somewhat facetiously worded, OP. I must say that the case for the heterodoxy of TEC is looking somewhat tenuous. This is probably what convinced me, Pete173 said:

quote:
Well, I suppose a sermon that quotes the millennium development goals rather than scripture, and a contentless shalom kind of encapsulates it for me. Very laudable, but what's distinctively Christian about it?
If nothing else, at least one TEC Bishop has read the City of God. Peace, Augustine teaches us, is the natural end of all created beings and the fulfilment that we only truly find in the Sabbath rest of the City of God. Hence all that stuff about lions lying down with the lamb in Isaiah, hence 'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you', hence 'the Peace of God which passes all understanding' hence we share the peace of God in the Holy Eucharist and pray that the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world will grant us his peace. Peace, in this deep and fundamental sense, is one of the major themes of Christian theology and praxis. And yes, the Hebrew word Shalom is, I understand, a much better translation than the English word peace because you can use the English 'peace' to denote a temporary ceasefire whereas the Hebrew word and concept is rather stronger - the presence of justice rather than merely the absence of conflict. And what is wrong with mentioning the Millenium Development Goals? Is this not the same Pete173 who tells us that evangelicals have outgrown their suspicion of social justice. Doesn't scripture have quite a lot to tell us about the feeding of the hungry?

If this is the best we can do, I'm tending towards the 'lazy assumption' end of the spectrum.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Me.:
Rather a lot of uk C of E churches follow an (often evening) service of 30-mins modern choruses, prayers and notices 20 min preach and then a...............

Dear, I think you'll find that Anglo-Catholic congregations in the UK are proficient at these skills, too.
I was only wishing to talk from what Id experienced - not explainig differences within C of E. We were comparing ECUSA and C of E so that was something I thought was different - that was all !
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
quote:
...Did the Evos of Birmingham object to a divorced and remarried (with still-living ex-spouse) Bishop when appointed, and get him removed? I think not. ...

... Jesus ... did condemn -- in rather strong language -- divorce and remarriage, I think I'd like a bit of consistency, please. Thank you.

I thought that the C of E still had a pretty hard line on remarriage of divorced persons. How did that Bishop of Birmingham manage it if the heir to the throne can't?
I was under the belief the C of E now allows divorced people to remarry in its churches at the discretion of the vicar.

That said, my ex (who was seeing the new girl while "married" to me) later married her in his church, became a Reader a year later and is still planning to pursue ordination I believe [Disappointed]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
Originally posted by jerusalemcross:

Rather a lot of CofE churches don't have a full ... So it's no wonder that there are what Emma thinks as "rather a lot" of CofE churches having "hymn sandwich" services (which are perfectly OK and can be uplifting, but not as your major diet of regular worship IMHO.)I suspect, Emma, that you're in either a rural parish or not near a big city. Or your area is predominantly Evangelical parishes which might well have Communion only once a month. Just guessing. [Confused]

in the individual elements of the liturgy, since the advent of CW here. This can be either good or bad, depending on your POV! [Snigger]
down. Such as verse 1 from Ps 8 (the "pointing" is what looks like apostrophe markings):

... if Emma has problems following it then I'm really quite sorry that it appears she hasn't experienced the beauty and glory of Anglican liturgy enough to be familiar with it.

I was not saying all of the C of E has not experienced things that are usual in the USA, I was saying there are proportions of the C of E that are quite different.

I lived for 3 years in a vicar-factory and have visited a lot of C of E churches - granted they are usually middle-of-the-road or New Wine- evangelical.

"rather a lot" of churches refers not to a "hymn sandwhich" out of necessity, but a contempory worship service out of choice. The New Wine Network churches and many (i guess evangelical?) C of E churches choose to have this style of worship (praise bands/whatever) which looks similar to other modern churches of other denominations.

I have never experienced pointing and although I do appreciate the wide range of experience in the C of E I think it rather rude for you to suggest yours is better than mine. I am now in a middle-of-the-road Greenbelt attending C of E and very happy too thankyou.

When I was in the USA, I thought there was a marked difference between TEC and the charismatic/evo churches. I was just pointing out how there are many churches in the C of E which are very similar.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it particularly ironic that it is the church which follows the Scriptural precedent of choosing their own leaders who are being accused of unBiblical practices and the one where bishops are appointed by the secular authority which is doing the accusing!

"Put not your trust in princes", anyone?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
If this is the best we can do, I'm tending towards the 'lazy assumption' end of the spectrum.

Having been to two General Conventions, travelled extensively in the US and having many friends in TEC I have no doubt at all that American Anglicanism is a very different creature from the C of E kind.

1. Attitudes to Scripture. It's only from ECUSAns that I've ever heard a literalistic version of the 'three-legged stool' analogy attributed to Hooker. Most Anglicans elsewhere know that Scripture is the primary means of doing theology with the use of reason and tradition. The idea that reason and tradition are somehow on a par with Bible is a peculiarly liberal piece of nonsense - and since TEC is the most liberal church in the Anglican Communion it is more commonly found there.

As a result, it is my experience that the difficulties of scripture are more easily explained away, ignored or reinterpreted by special pleading in TEC than elsewhere in the Communion. In the hot button debates on women's ordination, and homosexuality pleas for justice and non-discrimination often trumped scriptural arguments, without engaging together.

2. Theology and Bishops. Having observed TEC's House of Bishops there is almost a complete lack of theological thinking in their discussions. This, I'm sure, is partly as a result of the polity of TEC. The House of Deputies and House of Bishops have virtually identical roles in the legislative process. The House of Bishops are not deemed to have a specific teaching authority, or a particular role in the process regarding matters of doctrine and worship. As a result the Bishops don't seem to talk and debate together theologically. The role of Bishops in preserving right teaching, banishing erroneous doctrines is not stressed at all in TEC. Bishops are also less likely to view themselves as foci of unity, and much more likely to assume the role of Chief Executive Officer of the diocese.

There are such tendencies in the CoE as well, but a successive of major reports on the episcopate have helped preserve the English episcopate from losing sight of their apostolic and collegial role.

3. We pray what we believe and a number of posters have remarked that our liturgies are virtually indistinguishable. Not quite, the baptismal liturgies are very different. It is only from the US that I hear the repeated references to the Baptismal covenant. Many people have remarked on TEC's emphasis on the ministry of all the baptised. In many ways this is a thoroughly good thing, but in my opinion the emphasis on the Baptismal covenant (with its relatively novel promises) tends to draw the focus away from personal discipleship, and transformation. It's enough to be baptised and say the baptismal covenant to have access to all the ministries of the Church. Lifetstyle and life choices are less likely to be challenged. Hence the large number of divorced and remarried priests and bishops (in the case of at least one bishop - married three times).

4. The Episcopal Church Welcomes All. A very reassuring phrase but allied with point 3. it's led to a completely indiscriminatory application of the politics of inclusion to the doctrine and teaching of the Episcopal Church. 'Inclusion' as an unalloyed and determining good has not penetrated the C of E to the same extent.

These will do for a starter, though I daresay I could have come up with more differences had I more time to think about it.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to doublepost, but I should have added that I think American exceptionalism plays some part in our differences as well. It is far more likely that the C of E General Synod (and the Canadian one for example) would consider very carefully (and even be swayed) by what the rest of the Anglican Communion says to it directly on matters of importance and controversy. Many people in ECUSA couldn't give a flying f***.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find Spawn's posts above helpful.

However, if the difference is over scripture, surely it's not about the authority of scripture but how it is interpreted.

If there is a split, can somebody advise me as to how to get alternative episcopal oversight from ECUSA?

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, to interpretation then: I would maintain that in the 'stool hierarchy'( [Eek!] ), Tradition is or should be a longer leg than Reason/Experience.

What say others?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

With scripture as the longest?
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Yes, I think I said that a few posts ago here:

quote:
Originally posted by me:-
I have some sympathy for +Pete's and Ken's position re Scripture being the longer leg; certainly I would read the 39 Arts as establishing the supremacy of Scripture as normative for Anglicanism.

So, yes, I'd say Scripture-Tradition-Reason in the epistemological order of things.

[ 10. January 2007, 13:40: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

I'll agree with Spawn only so far as that there is a sad failure in TEC from time to time to deal with important issues in a theologically rigorous way. For example, there is certainly a case to be made that homosexuality is not incompatible with Christian practice, but the adoption of rights talk to make that case is a mistake.

Additionally, the Episcopal church's teaching on homosexuality is still that it is not the pattern for Christian sexuality. In my mind, the way to go about things is to first cope with the human sexuality question. I don't see how we can still have a general statement that sexual behavior belongs within marriage between a man and a woman, but also confirm an openly gay bishop. It's putting the cart before the horse.

But in all of this, a little more theology and a little less political-sounding rights-talk would be nice.

But in any case, since the C of E allows remarriage after divorce, in opposition to Christ's clear teaching on the subject, they don't get to accuse any other church of setting aside scripture for political reasons, or undervaluing scripture because they take a broader view of a few passages.

--------------------

Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

Actually, I'm beginning to think that the stool analogy should take scripture as the seat itself, and tradition, reason, and experience as the legs...

Spawn---what motto would you have us take? "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You--As Long as You Accept That You Aren't Really Christian Until You Become a ConEvo"? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's reformed catholicism, and it's what the CofE formularies say too - It's not just an evangelical view, it's the official and legal position of the CofE.

I certainly don't have any difficulty being a Reformed Catholic. Indeed I see myself very much in that Tradition, which is why I find it so hard to find huge amounts of common ground with Anglo-Evangelicals and Anglo-Catholics. Having been a 'Real' Evangelical I find the Anglican version of Evangelicalism a rather mild conformist affair, and even more upper middle class than my non-conformist days. I guess I used to define as an Anglo-Catholic, but I also find the Anglican version of Catholicism a rather mild conformist affair. and just as middle class. Indeed a lot of Anglicanism and Christianity is Middle class. [Smile]

I am rather fond of Laud, but really Wesley is the Anglican who excites me most, as does Percy Dearmer. All were radical but flawed figures.

But at the end of the day I am Philosophically Liberal. I like Tillich. I even enjoy Cupitt at points. I even find much to agree with in Dawkins or Dennett. I am critical of the Christian faith because it is my faith and for me such self examination is part of my faith. My closest friends are Atheists.

Does Pete think there is a place for people like me in the Church? C'mon Pete you can tell me. You have known me on the net for 5 years at least I guess. [Smile]

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Bloody hell that's complicated!! My head's [Ultra confused]

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
... I'd say Scripture-Tradition-Reason in the epistemological order of things.

But the "reason/experience" leg should never be so short as to complete foreclose the possibility of change. The other two never change. (Although our understanding of scripture changes.)

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I think I said that a few posts ago here:

quote:
Originally posted by me:-
I have some sympathy for +Pete's and Ken's position re Scripture being the longer leg; certainly I would read the 39 Arts as establishing the supremacy of Scripture as normative for Anglicanism.

So, yes, I'd say Scripture-Tradition-Reason in the epistemological order of things.
I'm visualizing such a stool. I believe I'd slide off. [Paranoid]

Paige:
quote:
Actually, I'm beginning to think that the stool analogy should take scripture as the seat itself, and tradition, reason, and experience as the legs...

Now, that's a stool I could sit on- as long as it is cushioned with love and compassion. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Spawn---what motto would you have us take? "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You--As Long as You Accept That You Aren't Really Christian Until You Become a ConEvo"? [Roll Eyes]

Since I'm not a conservative evangelical myself then I hardly think that's likely.

But my point was about the determinative nature of the value of inclusion on the doctrine and theology of the Episcopal Church, rather than the motto itself. 'The Episcopal Church Welcomes You' is a great slogan, btw.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
... I'd say Scripture-Tradition-Reason in the epistemological order of things.

But the "reason/experience" leg should never be so short as to complete foreclose the possibility of change. The other two never change. (Although our understanding of scripture changes.)
Can you unpack that a bit more please? I'm particularly interested in how a changed understanding of Scripture might or might not conflict with Tradition.

--------------------

Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
But my point was about the determinative nature of the value of inclusion on the doctrine and theology of the Episcopal Church, rather than the motto itself. 'The Episcopal Church Welcomes You' is a great slogan, btw.

Okay---pace on the slogan thing. [Smile]

You know, I think we're completely Biblically based on the value of inclusion. Jesus hung out with and healed Gentiles, tax collectors, women, and criminals---shocking the sensibilities of His followers. Is it not possible that we are trying to walk in our Saviour's footsteps?

And God was pretty clear to Peter that he had to get over his clinging to The Old Ways and make room for Something New. And he didn't like it at all---but he couldn't deny that God was removing the stumbling block of the dietary laws. Is it not possible that this is what we are doing with those very small number of verses about the inferiority of women and the evils of homosexuality?

Lyda--I'm with you, my friend. If I didn't believe that Jesus was more concerned with love and compassion (which is *exactly* what I get from the Gospels), I wouldn't be bothered to be a Christian.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Why?

Is everybody dodging the chicken-and-the-egg question? How do we know what Scripture is apart from the Tradition that gave it to us? How did they decide which writings should be part of Scripture - by looking in the Bible?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Not so much of a chicken and egg situation as far as post-Reformation Anglicanism is concerned: with the exception of the Apocrypha, the Canon of Scripture had been in undisputed existence for over a millenium by the time the 39 Articles were formulated giving supremacy to Scripture.

[ 10. January 2007, 14:34: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not so much of a chicken and egg situation as far as post-Reformation Anglicanism is concerned: with the exception of the Apocrypha, the Canon of Scripture had been in undisputed existence for over a millenium by the time the 39 Articles were formulated giving supremacy to Scripture.

How is that relevant? The question is, which has the ultimate authority, tradition or scripture? The only reason the Canon was largely undisputed is that everyone accepted the authority of the Church to decide. It sounds as if you are saying the 39 Articles have authority over Scripture. (I know you're not, but on this logic it's hard to see why not). And on what grounds did the Reformers reject the Apocrypha? (probably a dead horse, or at least a little foal...)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

No, I'm not saying that the 39 Articles have authority over Scripture just that, for Anglicanism, they establish the supremacy of Scripture IMO. And whilst I'm not sure whether or not the topic of the DCs are officially a Dead Horse, it has certainly been discussed here.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016