homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Decriminalizing polygamy? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Decriminalizing polygamy?
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
If you believe that there is good reason to fear than the liberalisation of restrictions on polygamy will tend to lower the status of women in society, you don't need to be a Christian to oppose it. Good old-fashioned ethical humanism will suffice.

Polygamy isn't the same as polygyny. Educate yourself.

How about we only legalize polyandry and group marriage (mixed numbers of male and female)?

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Originally posted by the Raptor:

quote:
Which completely ignores that fundamentalist's are not the only advocates. Should we ban home schooling as well, because it is overwhelmingly practised by those same fundamentalist's?
The OP referred to the FLDS who are the major advocates of polygamy in the US. I think the onus is on you to show us these huddled polygamist masses, yearning to breathe free.
I'm at work, so I can't safely do the legwork for this one myself, but I suggest you Google 'polyamory' (no u).

quote:
Concerning my proposed 'trust law' group marriage system:I think this is plausible. I'm not wholly convinced by it, not least because you appear to have abolished the Married Women's Property Act, but if I were inclined to defend the legalisation of polygamous unions this is the line I would probably take.
I'm not a lawyer, and I've missed many of the subtleties that my friend (who is) included. I can't remember if she mentioned the Married Women's Property Act specifically. That said, I don't pretend that my account is wholly convincing - merely that it's more serviceable than the binary contract model, and more humane than the FLDS patriarchal model.

T.

PS: Is Peter Mandelson openly gay? I remember an awful lot of flapdoodle at the BBC to suggest he wasn't.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:

You know what I mean. Do you have a counter-argument, or is it just that being a pedant turns you on?
Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the Wilson administration there were no openly gay Cabinet ministers and the merest breath of such things would have resulted in political ruin. In the Blair administration there were two openly gay cabinet ministers (Chris Smith and Peter Mandelson). I hardly think the continued existence of 'gay' as a playground insult means the vast social shift that has taken place in the UK since 1967 did not happen.

A social shift doesn't equal homosexuality being socially acceptable (tolerable is a different matter). Homosexuality is still very much regarded as almost scandalous amongst public figures (who aren't arts types). People may not care that the bloke down the road is gay, but they still wouldn't normally vote him into office (being a white family man with an inoffensive religion is still the sure ticket into office).

quote:
So the laws against murder should be repealed? After all 'thou shalt not kill' is a traditional Christian value. There are lots of values which Christians and secularists share. Opposition to polygamy may well be one of them. In the one instance where I expressed a religious reason to disapprove of polygamy I explictly stated that I did not think this was a good reason to criminalise it.

Secularists may very well oppose homosexuality (communists didn't like it). The only thing that liberal western style government should regulate are acts against the will or human rights of a person (and maybe public standards of decency).

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
— Firefly

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
quote:

You know what I mean. Do you have a counter-argument, or is it just that being a pedant turns you on?
How does polyandry or polyamory lower the social status of women? Polygyny is the only one that you can even being to claim does that (and we only have the data from a loud mouth fundie group). Never mind the fact that fundie monogamous marriages tend to do the same (that whole headship thing)

And if you would bother reading my previous posts you would notice I covered the issue you raised (we could do more for these women if they came into the open).

--------------------
— Firefly

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Raptor:

quote:
A social shift doesn't equal homosexuality being socially acceptable (tolerable is a different matter). Homosexuality is still very much regarded as almost scandalous amongst public figures (who aren't arts types). People may not care that the bloke down the road is gay, but they still wouldn't normally vote him into office (being a white family man with an inoffensive religion is still the sure ticket into office).
That may be the case in Australia. It emphatically isn't in the UK and it was the UK example I was discussing.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
That may be the case in Australia. It emphatically isn't in the UK and it was the UK example I was discussing.

Uh huh. I never hear anything about harassment or discrimination of gays in the UK. No sir. A few gays in parliament does not mean homosexuality is completely socially acceptable. But this is OT so ends here.

[ 23. November 2006, 17:34: Message edited by: the_raptor ]

--------------------
— Firefly

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Uh huh. I never hear anything about harassment or discrimination of gays in the UK. No sir. A few gays in parliament does not mean homosexuality is completely socially acceptable. But this is OT so ends here.
You really are a complete twonk aren't you? But this is Off Topic so you cannot reply.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:

quote:
You really are a complete twonk aren't you? But this is Off Topic so you cannot reply.
No that's a personal attack. I reserve them for hell.

--------------------
— Firefly

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Mental note, sarcasm doesn't work either.

In the simplest possible terms.

1/ You cannot make an assertion and then announce that it is off topic and goes no further.

2/ Irrespective of your confident pronouncements the public climate for homosexuals is vastly more liberal now than it was before homosexuality was decriminalised. Pockets of illiberality to not alter or invalidate this fact.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But this is OT so ends here.

Translation: Let me have the last word! Please! Please! Let me have the last word! Wouldja?!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Advocates of polygamy on this thread have largely concentrated on an ethical position 'the government should not interfere in arrangements made by consenting adults' (which, as it happens is not a position that I share) and not really addressed the empirical arguments

I deny being an ‘advocate’ of polygamy. I disapprove of it. I just don’t extend my disapproval so far as to want to send people to jail for practising it, or to denying them the legal protections most of the rest of us can choose to have when it goes wrong. My belief in making legal marriage available to polygamists is based on my judgment that legal marriage is a good thing. That’s the ethical reason.

The empirical reason is based on the ‘polygamous’ household that I know. If plural marriage were allowed, my friends might choose to get married. Why shouldn’t they? Much as I consider their choices unethical (by Christian standards, though none of the parties involved are Christian), and much as I worry about the likely consequences of their choices, they are a loving a functional family unit, and I cannot see any reason at all to deny them the option of marriage. Your answer seems to be that my friends shouldn’t marry, but should (as long as they stay together) continue in illicit cohabitation, because OTHER PEOPLE are bad spouses, bad parents, and follow wacky religions. I don’t get that at all.

quote:
I think the experience of the decriminalisation of abortion and homosexuality in the UK demonstrates that legislation with quite limited aims can, in time, take on quite wider significance. The 1967 Act did not aim to make abortion comparatively widely practiced and the intention of the decriminalisers of homosexuality did not intend for homosexuality to become socially acceptable. Both, however, happened.
I’d question whether the law reforms CAUSED the social change. Maybe in the case of abortion a case could be made (since the state has a great deal of control over access to safe medical services) but I think it more likely that the legalisation of homosexuality was a result of a change of social attitude (which has advanced since).

quote:
It being the case that legislation can have unintended consequences it seems elementary prudence to examine whether this would be the case with polygamy.
Whatever the consequence of legalised polygamy, they would have the great advantage of being the outcome of decisions that people have actually chosen to make.

The law isn’t meant to protect people from their own poor choices. Even adultery isn’t against the law in the UK. It is far more clearly a sin than polygamy. It involves harm to an unconsenting party. It destroys people’s lives, estranges children from their parents, causes deep despair and can lead to murder and suicide. It is responsible for much more human misery than polygamy.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How does polyandry or polyamory lower the social status of women? Polygyny is the only one that you can even being to claim does that (and we only have the data from a loud mouth fundie group). Never mind the fact that fundie monogamous marriages tend to do the same (that whole headship thing)

And if you would bother reading my previous posts you would notice I covered the issue you raised (we could do more for these women if they came into the open).

In fact, I also questioned the causative link between polygamous marriage and the social status of women, in response to Callan's post on the subject. And his reply, which I think is pertinent, was that given the strong correlation down the ages, we ought to be cautious, even in the absence of an established causative mechanism, about assuming they are independent.

That seems right to me. It's possible that polygamous marriage, and polygyny in general, arise from the same social factors as lead to the chattelisation ( new word [Smile] ) of women; one may not be the cause of the other. I'm just not sure we ought to take the risk of finding out.

I concede that we don't have sufficient unbiased data to make a firm conclusion.

I concede also that there is a risk involved in allowing society (via government) to interfere in relationships between consenting adults. We've been there already, and it wasn't very nice.

But are there no limits to non-interference? For example, it is an offence in the UK to assist a woman to carry out genital mutilation on herself. It seems right to me that this should be the case, although I confess a difficulty in articulating why it should be.

I suppose the reason why I think it should be an offense to abet female genital mutilation is the same as the reason it should be an offence to abet polygamous marriage -- it is not safe to assume free and informed consent from the women concerned, in the presence of strong religious and cultural pressures.

Even as I write this, I am aware that it makes me sound like an interfering old nanny, and a male chauvinist nanny at that. And state interference in private arrangements isn't something I am comfortable about recommending, you may be sure.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Eliab:

quote:
I deny being an ‘advocate’ of polygamy. I disapprove of it. I just don’t extend my disapproval so far as to want to send people to jail for practising it, or to denying them the legal protections most of the rest of us can choose to have when it goes wrong. My belief in making legal marriage available to polygamists is based on my judgment that legal marriage is a good thing. That’s the ethical reason.

The empirical reason is based on the ‘polygamous’ household that I know. If plural marriage were allowed, my friends might choose to get married. Why shouldn’t they? Much as I consider their choices unethical (by Christian standards, though none of the parties involved are Christian), and much as I worry about the likely consequences of their choices, they are a loving a functional family unit, and I cannot see any reason at all to deny them the option of marriage. Your answer seems to be that my friends shouldn’t marry, but should (as long as they stay together) continue in illicit cohabitation, because OTHER PEOPLE are bad spouses, bad parents, and follow wacky religions. I don’t get that at all.

You're right about one thing. I should have said 'advocates of the legalisation of polygamy'.

That out of the way, your citing of one case doesn't really constitute an empirical reason. It's anecdotal evidence. If I say my aunt's rheumatism cleared up after she started to wear a copper bracelet that doesn't really count. There could be all sorts of other factors. You have to persuade lots of people with rheumatism to wear copper bracelets and analyse the results. Which is more or less what the Canadian government have done. Citing one instance in which the Canadian governments findings don't hold doesn't cut it. If legalised polygamy would have good results in, say, one out of three cases and bad results in two out of three cases then there is a strong case for keeping it illegal.

quote:
I’d question whether the law reforms CAUSED the social change. Maybe in the case of abortion a case could be made (since the state has a great deal of control over access to safe medical services) but I think it more likely that the legalisation of homosexuality was a result of a change of social attitude (which has advanced since).
I certainly think they made the social change a lot easier. It's a lot easier to defend a legislative decision already made than it is to advocate such a change. If polygamy were to be legalised and if it did have the kind of effects I suspect it would it would be a lot harder to repeal the law than to pass it. Which is another factor which indicates that caution is the order of the day.

quote:
Whatever the consequence of legalised polygamy, they would have the great advantage of being the outcome of decisions that people have actually chosen to make.

The law isn’t meant to protect people from their own poor choices. Even adultery isn’t against the law in the UK. It is far more clearly a sin than polygamy. It involves harm to an unconsenting party. It destroys people’s lives, estranges children from their parents, causes deep despair and can lead to murder and suicide. It is responsible for much more human misery than polygamy.

The same argument can be made against the minimum wage. Who is the government to interfere in the decision of a worker to find a job that pays 50p a day? The answer is that power imbalance between worker and employer is such that it is legitimate for the government to rectify said imbalance. I think a similar imbalance exists between men and women in communities where polygamy prevails.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That out of the way, your citing of one case doesn't really constitute an empirical reason. It's anecdotal evidence. If I say my aunt's rheumatism cleared up after she started to wear a copper bracelet that doesn't really count.

If I was using the example as evidence, to say that polygamous unions tend to make for loving and supportive households, then you'd be right. But I'm not. I'm not using it as evidence at all. I freely concede that if my friends manage to make their relationship work, it will be an exceptional case.

The point is, in this particular case, what is the right and just thing for the parties involved? And I hold that it would be right and just, if they so wished, to allow them to marry. I think you need good reason to deny someone a thing which is right and just. Even if they are the only person in the world for whom it would be right and just.

To reverse your example, a law that says that your aunt ought not to wear a copper bracelet, and that she should risk going to prison if she did, would be unfair. It doesn't matter (as far as the justice of the case is concerned) that in at least 99% of cases copper bracelets lead to false hope and disappointment for rheumatism sufferers. It doesn't matter (as far as the justice of the case is concerned) that some of those other cases will be deterred from seeking proper medical care because they trust in copper bracelets, and will suffer appallingly. If your aunt wants to wear a copper bracelet, she should damned well be allowed to do so.

quote:
If legalised polygamy would have good results in, say, one out of three cases and bad results in two out of three cases then there is a strong case for keeping it illegal.
Actually, I disagree. I don't think that is a strong argument at all. If I did, I would want to ban smoking, alcohol, fornication, spending Christmas with one's mother-in-law, and falling in love. All those things (it could be argued) cause harm more often than not. It is still a good thing that people are free to do them.

It is also a good thing that people are free to make appalling bad choices about who to marry, to follow bad religions, and to make poor decisions for their children.

quote:
The same argument can be made against the minimum wage. Who is the government to interfere in the decision of a worker to find a job that pays 50p a day? The answer is that power imbalance between worker and employer is such that it is legitimate for the government to rectify said imbalance. I think a similar imbalance exists between men and women in communities where polygamy prevails.
The question is one of freedom. An agreement that I should work for fourteen hours a day for 50p and a bowl of gruel is so one-sided that it can be presumed that there must be power imbalance sufficiently great that my ‘decision' to accept was not made freely. It is inherent in the nature of the agreement that it is unjust.

It cannot be presumed that if two woman want to marry one man, the agreement is so one-sided that they must be victims of oppression or necessity. It is not an inherently unjust arrangement. Of course, it may be that in a particular case, one or both of the women (or the man, for that matter) has had the decision forced on them by family or social pressure and does not truly consent - but that is potentially true of any marriage in a culture where strong family or social pressures exist. It is not an inherent in the nature of polygamy (though it may be inherent in the nature of some cultures which practice polygamy, as well as some which do not). The cure for forced marriage is firstly to make it illegal (which in the UK it is), and secondly to put a premium on free individual choice of marriage partner(s), rather than to impose conformity to traditional models, and thirdly, to make our society more generally open, liberal and tolerant of other people's choices, no matter how bad we think they are.

[ 24. November 2006, 11:26: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

quote:
You really are a complete twonk aren't you?

This is personal attack, as you well know. Please take it to Hell.

RuthW
Purgatory host

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Yes miss. Sorry miss. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WatersOfBabylon:
From a completely anthropological perspective, polygamy would make sense for a society with a high woman to man ratio (for example, a society recently stricken by war). It makes sure all the women are cared for.

During the 1830s / 1840s as the American West was being initially colonised by European / White settlers, there were always initially more men than women. But the Mormon pilgrimage to Utah was exceptional.

Nevins and Commager, describing the settlement of Mormons in Utah, say:
quote:
Polygamy for a time continued, serving a sound colonizing purpose - for women were in the majority among the converts, and the frontier had little place for unmarried and childless women.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What concerns me about polygamy is that the balance of power is rarely equal between a given man and a given woman, particularly as time goes on. While they may have entered the marriage as economic and physical "equals," it is the woman who must bear the burden of pregnancy and early motherhood, particularly if nursing or a C-section is involved. This leaves her in critical need of her husband's support at the very time when polygamy would authorize him to consider taking another wife to meet his, um, needs. It also means that she will have to consent or risk the loss of what support he is willing to offer.

I was my husband's equal for the first dozen years of our marriage. I could have walked out at any time, had I felt the need. But then I got pregnant. I never felt so vulnerable in my life.
Physically, I was hampered and even endangered (for various health reasons); economically I was suddenly on thin ice, because employers can and do discriminate against pregnant and newly delivered women, whatever the law may say. Essentially, for that period of my life, my husband held the bulk of the power in the marriage, and I was not in a place where I could realistically tell him to "stuff it" and walk out. Where does an eight months pregnant woman go without an income?

Fortunately for me, my husband was committed to me in a monogamous marriage, and that gave me a bit more protection during a very vulnerable time. He could not simply walk out and pick up a young "hottie" to amuse himself while I struggled with our issues alone (now become MY issues, not ours)--and then bring her home to force ME to cope with the permanent legal and financial ramifications of this intrusion into our existing family. Nor could he lean on me at a vulnerable time to authorize this behavior for fear of losing his support. Legal monogamy protected me. Not wholly, of course--some men do have affairs in spite of it--but at least the affair cannot be "legalized" into a formal second wifeship with all the concomitant legal and financial issues.

And the protections of monogamy go both ways. Fortunately for my husband (as he grows old, retires and develops health problems) I am committed to him in a monogamous relationship, and he need not fear that some younger man with a better income will show up and, er, move him out of the master bedroom. Which he would be obliged to put up with, since age, lowered income and disability would place the family power in MY hands, and make it much easier for me to force his consent to polyandry.

I'm really not sure if I would choose to marry in a culture that allowed legal polygamy. If I did, there would certainly be one hell of a marriage contract closing off that possibility forever, and with stiff penalties for trying to get around it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I totally get the vulnerability thing, but that scenario does presuppose a lot.

You could equally imagine a situation where the second wife is a huge support to the new mother - sort of an unpaid au pair. Certainly I've read a few articles suggesting that in some polygamous families it's the younger wife who gets the shitty end of the stick - rather than being in a position of favour, she's subordinate to the existing wives and may be treated as a servant. (Not that that is an ideal scenario either, of course.)

It was a long time ago I studied it, but I seem to remember a fair amount of evidence that the rulers of the Ottoman Empire had to put quite a lot of effort into curbing the political power of their harem - given a bit of political nous and the chance to gang up with the eunuchs the wives ruled the roost and thus the empire, through sheer force of numbers. The same dynamic could easily translate to domestic life, if the wives made common cause against their husband.

I've also read modern accounts of warm and supportive relationships between 'sister-wives', so much so that it's the husband who finds himself feeling isolated and unhappy. It's worth remembering that in cultures where people don't marry for love, but for social or political reasons, sexual jealousy may simply not be an issue.

I'm not particularly advocating polygamy, like Eliab I suspect the unofficial arrangements that are currently legal and a few people go in for mostly end in tears. And I realise that the idealised scenarios above are no more valid than the nightmare ones. But I do think that the issue is more complicated than a simple 'polyamy == oppression'.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped:

I am not a proponent of legal polygamy, but your story actually supports it, from a cerain point of view. Proponents of polygamy would point out that your husband was absolutely free to dump you and get a new woman, only the law requires that he divorce you first. In a polygamous situation, the husband cannot divorce you (generally, under Mormon or shari'a law) because he fancies a new woman -- he must be able to support you both. Instead of what we have in monogomous western societies, which is hypocritical serial polygamy. You can have lots of wives, and you get to dump the earlier ones and trade up. New alimony laws mean that you can be free of obligations to former wives much more quickly than before, assuming that they are theoretically able to work. So, the polygamists say, they are actually the ones who ensure that old wives don't get cast aside like a squeezed lemon just because Papa wants some new arm candy.

I don't agree with it, but they have a point there, I think.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does anthropology indicate about the ratio of men to women in societies that practiced polygyny? I suspect that women outnumbered men considerably, as can happen when the general level of health and nutrition is relatively low. If so, then polygyny made sense from all points of view that I can see.

However, when the ratio is about 50:50 as in our case, I'd abhor polygamy as brazenly elitist. It is of course the richest and most powerful that would successfully desire, attract, and maintain plural spouses among the other trophies and ornaments of their exalted status, and doing so would leave other men or women perforce single. Even a gay boy like me might understandably find such a society inferior to the status quo.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
What does anthropology indicate about the ratio of men to women in societies that practiced polygyny? I suspect that women outnumbered men considerably, as can happen when the general level of health and nutrition is relatively low.

Not really. In general very poorly fed societies are more likely to run short of women of marriageable age because many die in childbirth - there will be excess women but they tend to be older.

Its probably that in most socities that approve of polygyny only a small number of particualrly attractive men have more than one wife - usually the rich and powerful of course.

The big exception to this is in a rapidly growing population if women tend to marry men older than themselves. If the population is growing by 2% a year - typcial of the last two centuries - and if the age gap between marriage partners is typically 5 years, then there will be just over 11 women in the marriage market for every 10 men.

If the growth rate is four percent and the gap 15 years - which has been the case in some parts of East Africa for the last generation or so - then there are 18 women for every ten men.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A multiplicity of wives implies a multiplicity of mothers-in-law.
What man dare....?

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

- Posted      Profile for ananke   Email ananke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the interestingthing is that so many people are looking at "bloke + wives" rather than "bloke + husband + wife" or "woman + husband + husband" which, in my limited experience of poly communities, is the norm. Relationships are not heirarchalised, but common. That said there are still jerkwads who use it as an excuse to be abusive. Much like marriage really.

--------------------
...and I bear witness, this grace, this prayer so long forgotten.

A Perfect Circle - Magdalena

Posts: 617 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are all 3 sexually active with each other then? Or is it a case of x alternates y and z?
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Lamb Chopped:

I am not a proponent of legal polygamy, but your story actually supports it, from a cerain point of view. Proponents of polygamy would point out that your husband was absolutely free to dump you and get a new woman, only the law requires that he divorce you first. In a polygamous situation, the husband cannot divorce you (generally, under Mormon or shari'a law) because he fancies a new woman -- he must be able to support you both. Instead of what we have in monogomous western societies, which is hypocritical serial polygamy. You can have lots of wives, and you get to dump the earlier ones and trade up. New alimony laws mean that you can be free of obligations to former wives much more quickly than before, assuming that they are theoretically able to work. So, the polygamists say, they are actually the ones who ensure that old wives don't get cast aside like a squeezed lemon just because Papa wants some new arm candy.

I don't agree with it, but they have a point there, I think.

Oooh what a lovely idea. When my ex wandered off, if he still had a legal obligation to support me *and* number 2 that would have been fab [Smile]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ananke:
I think the interestingthing is that so many people are looking at "bloke + wives" rather than "bloke + husband + wife" or "woman + husband + husband" which, in my limited experience of poly communities, is the norm. Relationships are not heirarchalised, but common. That said there are still jerkwads who use it as an excuse to be abusive. Much like marriage really.

I suppose it's because the structured belief systems that people are worried about are of that form, and highly patriarchal. But yes, my very limited observation of unusual relationships has tended more towards the woman + man + man style of thing. And on the programme I saw on telly (so it must be true [Smile] ) of the various relationships featured only one was man + wives, the rest seemed to feature a central female plus satellites. I wonder if there is an observable pattern to unconventional Western relationships that is quite different to the established patriarchal model.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ananke:
I think the interestingthing is that so many people are looking at "bloke + wives" rather than "bloke + husband + wife" or "woman + husband + husband" which, in my limited experience of poly communities, is the norm.

Only amongst a few middle-class white people here and there. Its hardly common. And most of those relationships turn out to be abusive or unstable in the end. There is nearly always someone who actually wants an exclusive relationship but hasn't got the social power to demand it, and ends up feeling betrayed and left out.

Worldwide polygyny is overwhelmingly more common. Its even more common among middle-class western white people, its just not usually called that.

--------------------
Ken

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Oooh what a lovely idea. When my ex wandered off, if he still had a legal obligation to support me *and* number 2 that would have been fab [Smile]

I used to know a woman whose husband, whom she still loved, decided to move a mistress into the same house with them. It tore her apart emotionally; a few years later she was in mental hospital. What good is physical sustenance in the face of such psychological torture?

I blush to recall that the bastard was a seminarian at the time (from a well-to-do family, of course), but happily for the church was never ordained.

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is no more representative of polygamy than spousal rape is representative of monogamy.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
That is no more representative of polygamy than spousal rape is representative of monogamy.

One hopes it isn't, but unless all a man's existing wives must assent before he adds one to his harem, how is it avoided?

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
... But then I got pregnant. I never felt so vulnerable in my life.
Physically, I was hampered and even endangered (for various health reasons); economically I was suddenly on thin ice, because employers can and do discriminate against pregnant and newly delivered women, whatever the law may say. Essentially, for that period of my life, my husband held the bulk of the power in the marriage, and I was not in a place where I could realistically tell him to "stuff it" and walk out. Where does an eight months pregnant woman go without an income?

May I say, your story made me think and see things more...that I need to bear this in mind if I ever were to look at a man to consider for marriage. Even if say I did not have my own kidlets...if I somehow ended up economically making less or losing my job, I would still feel a vunerability. Great post, girly. And I should try to bear that in mind and think about that. [Angel]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One hopes it isn't, but unless all a man's existing wives must assent before he adds one to his harem, how is it avoided?

You are obviously envisioning something very, very different than what I have in mind. I would think that adding another member to an existing marriage would generally require the consent of all parties involved. This isn't any different than adding parties to most other sorts of contracts.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

- Posted      Profile for ananke   Email ananke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Scot. Nova can't go out and find a nice girl to bring in because she's gotta be my kind of girl too. We operate as a partnership, not as a heirarchy. The only woman we've met who we would even consider as a third isn't attracted to Nova, and he is not attracted to her. Hence there is no poly relationship.

There are situations where one partner (usually the man) enforces his kind of 'poly' - usually not involving any male relationships for her, or any relationships at her. This isn't all that different to those who are adulterous, just more obvious. Neither are true 'poly' situations - they are merely someone's power structure involving sex.

--------------------
...and I bear witness, this grace, this prayer so long forgotten.

A Perfect Circle - Magdalena

Posts: 617 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You are obviously envisioning something very, very different than what I have in mind. I would think that adding another member to an existing marriage would generally require the consent of all parties involved. This isn't any different than adding parties to most other sorts of contracts.
The difference with most sorts of contract is that if you can't agree on the (new) terms, you can just end the contract. I'm struggling to think of any kind of contract that walking away from would be quite as emotionally damaging as divorce.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
unless all a man's existing wives must assent before he adds one to his harem, how is it avoided?

That is quite a common law in societies that allow polygyny, but far from universal.

Probably even more common is the rule that the wives must recieve equal treatment - the same housing, the same amount of food or money, the same opportunities for their children.

I would expect that both sets of rules are broken quite often, depending on the balance of power between the man and his existing wives, between the man's family and the woman's family, and between men and women in general in their society.

--------------------
Ken

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Iole Nui:

quote:
It was a long time ago I studied it, but I seem to remember a fair amount of evidence that the rulers of the Ottoman Empire had to put quite a lot of effort into curbing the political power of their harem - given a bit of political nous and the chance to gang up with the eunuchs the wives ruled the roost and thus the empire, through sheer force of numbers. The same dynamic could easily translate to domestic life, if the wives made common cause against their husband.

I've also read modern accounts of warm and supportive relationships between 'sister-wives', so much so that it's the husband who finds himself feeling isolated and unhappy. It's worth remembering that in cultures where people don't marry for love, but for social or political reasons, sexual jealousy may simply not be an issue.

I'm not particularly advocating polygamy, like Eliab I suspect the unofficial arrangements that are currently legal and a few people go in for mostly end in tears. And I realise that the idealised scenarios above are no more valid than the nightmare ones. But I do think that the issue is more complicated than a simple 'polyamy == oppression'.

That implies that to be oppressive an institution must have bad effects in all times and at all places for the oppressed class, as it were. I don't think that is the case. I can think of a number of women in antiquity who were in polygamous marriages and wielded power. One thinks of Queen Atossa of Persia or Alexander's first wife Roxanne or even his mother Olympias. Clearly these were powerful individuals who might well wield more power than the governor of a province or the commander of an army. But then similar power might be wielded by a freedman in the earlier part of the Roman Empire or by a court Eunuch who was, technically, a slave in the later history of the Roman Empire. One wouldn't, I think, conclude that slavery isn't oppressive because one can point to instances where slaves did quite well out of it. The same applies mutatis mutandis to polygamy.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

I wasn't really arguing that those examples made polygamy desirable (I'm fairly neutral on the issue). Just that the reality may be more complex and more varied than some people seem to be assuming.

quote:
One wouldn't, I think, conclude that slavery isn't oppressive because one can point to instances where slaves did quite well out of it. The same applies mutatis mutandis to polygamy.

I'm not sure it does. Slavery is a priori oppressive because one person owns another, power is the issue. I don't think that poly-whatever comes into the same category - a marriage containing more than two people doesn't in itself imply a power differential. If it did, surely the same power differential would be implicit in monogomous marriage.

I agree with what you said earlier, that there is enough corrolation between polygyny and oppression to make sensible legislators nervous. But I don't see why multi-way relationships, in a non-oppressive cultural context, would be of themselves necessarily oppressive. They could be conducted equitably, unlike slavery. Like monogamous marriage, it would all depend on the people involved.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, on one hand if there are two women per man then the man has more choice. "If you keep nagging I'll spend the evening with Jane instead." or "Jane's so much better at sex because she does X for me."

However, I know some polyamorous long term relationships that seem to be working beautifully. But that tends to involve both people having multiple partners so I don't know.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding polyamory, I remember seeing an informal sort of presentation by a polyamorous set (as opposed to couple?) who did some Q&A back in college. I think they were living in a commune type thing at the time.

One observation they made (these being about five or so folks) was that it wasn't entinrely a sexual relationship, at least not a five-way one. It was more like a couple of families choosing to live together as a single family unit. The ones that chose to sleep together could, but the emphasis seemed more on the more boring, mundane aspects of family life than who got to spend time with who in the bedroom.

Of course, that's only one example, it's not the only way and it certainly isn't for everybody, but I can see the sense in it.

I'm sure this is also a far cry from traditional FLDS polygamy.

[ 29. November 2006, 16:07: Message edited by: mirrizin ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
I don't think that poly-whatever comes into the same category - a marriage containing more than two people doesn't in itself imply a power differential. If it did, surely the same power differential would be implicit in monogomous marriage.

You're ignoring the power differential between those who acquire two or more spouses and those consequently left to go through life with none.

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

No, we're just assuming that, statistically speaking, they'll be offset by another group with a reversed gender balance.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I can see the point that some of you are making, that there is no LOGICAL reason why polygamy/polygyny must be oppressive--but then what's going on with the observable fact that it usually is when we see it in action (that is, in whole cultures, not in isolated cases)? Why is this so? There's got to be reasons, and I think they'd be very interesting.

Forgive me, but I still do think that pregnancy, nursing and a woman's limited childbearing time create an inherent vulnerability for her that unscrupulous men easily take advantage of. And God knows there are plenty of unscrupulous men--they're part of the human race, after all. What similar vulnerabilities do men possess?

There is a reason why jackass employers prefer male workers, all else being equal. There's a reason why my jackass former employer asked me at the interview if I intended to ever get pregnant. And there's a reason why studies show that the most dangerous time of all for a woman in an abusive relationship is the period when she is pregnant.

I think the idea of polygamy as a form of support for "squeezed out lemons" is, um, weak. Men in such societies can and do divorce their "worn out" wives, often for trumped up reasons, and the women have little or no redress. After all, the fewer women you have to support, the easier it will be to secure that new younger wife--who isn't likely to want to be junior to anyone else, or to share the family resources. Nor will her parents want that, and they are probably making the arrangements in most polygamous cultures.

The serial monogamy thing is also dreadful, but at least it forces the jerk to go through a legal process that takes some time before he can permanently acquire his new arm candy. And the previous wife has a fighting chance at retaining some property, since a judge is involved in the settlement. But if you're still married when hubby decides to move sweetie #2 into the master bedroom, to whom do you appeal when your usual prerogatives are taken away? Or when your children find themselves treated like second class citizens by their own father?

I do know that laws and customs exist to safeguard the less-wanted wife's rights (witness the OT). What I'm wondering about is how able a married woman is to take advantage of those laws in reality. For example, can a polygamously married Arab woman take legal action against her (still-married) husband? It seems a tad unlikely, though I'll bow to those who have better real life knowledge on the subject.

Even though the laws exist, and may possibly be enforceable, one is likely to end up in the same boat as the worker who takes legal action against his or her employer: you've got the job, but boy, will he make you regret making waves.

Maybe I just don't have enough faith in human nature.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
No, we're just assuming that, statistically speaking, they'll be offset by another group with a reversed gender balance.

Statistically speaking, worldwide, they aren't

Polygyny is traditionally at least tolerated by societies comprising about half the population of the world, though it is only at all common in somewhere between 1 & 5 percent of the worlds population.

Polyandry is traditional in a handful of societies, maybe a dozen at most, widespread in none of those, and probably practiced by well under a tenth of a percent of the total population.

--------------------
Ken

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

I do not see what that bearing that has on how plural marriage could be done in a liberal western democracy. Monogamy, modesty, religious observance, politics, and any number of other things are commonly practiced and enforced worldwide in ways that would be completely foreign to most of us here.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I do not see what that bearing that has on how plural marriage could be done in a liberal western democracy.

Because people are the same even when laws change.
Human mating systems are many and various, but not infinitely flexible. There are real biological constraints.

--------------------
Ken

Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
I do not see what that bearing that has on how plural marriage could be done in a liberal western democracy.

Because people are the same even when laws change.
Human mating systems are many and various, but not infinitely flexible. There are real biological constraints.

Yeah, ok. But then we know that other things that we sanction in modern democratic states (monogamous marriages, homosexual relationships, etc., etc.) are abused in parts of the world. So do we criminalize them as well?
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some superb posts on this thread from Callan and Lamb Chopped. Thank you!

I can't add much to their arguments except to say that adding another individual to an intimate relatioship always seems to seriously skew the balance of power, and what had been a partnership becomes a hierarchy. I've seen it with some gay couples-turned-trios, and with a straight same as well. It always seems to be the (dominant) male who benefits, and the jealousies are really ugly.

The FLDS and their ilk certainly don't provide a particularly attractive role model for polygamy. The Muslim experience also suggests that women are always going to be the losers when men can have more than one wife.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I can't add much to their arguments except to say that adding another individual to an intimate relatioship always seems to seriously skew the balance of power, and what had been a partnership becomes a hierarchy.

Now that I suspect is probably true. It seems to be human nature, from the playground onwards, that when you have more than two a hierarchy sets in and people start jockeying about. Someone is usually the centre, and everybody else is vying to be best friend, trusted side-kick or favourite lover.

I'm not sure I agree that it's always the male who benefits, though. In my (very limited) experience of poly-whatsit arrangements, it's always been a female queen-bee surrounded by her courtiers.

I do suspect it usually ends badly and painfully. But hell, so do most monogamous relationships.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016