homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belisarius posted here in The Styx to mark the Boards' Fifth Birthday. I wondered if we'd be able to get a band of Shipmates together to ring a celebratory QP somewhere? I really like the quirky idea of mixing the old and new communication technologies. And drafting a suitable Society name and footnote for the Ringing World. [Big Grin]

Problem: I'm only a mere novice at this but I'm happy to cover or TH to doubles, or stand aside if the Ship can pull together a Surprise Major band from out of the hold. [Eek!]

Plan: We would need a volunteer conductor and band, then a method and tower location to fit the highest common factor. Beer and food to follow, presumably.

Any takers for this novel Shipmeet?

Q.
ETA ....and to celebrate my 250th post [Yipee]

[edited on OP'er request]

[ 12. May 2007, 08:01: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very much a lapsed ringer, but managed to come out of retirement to ring a QP of Grandsire Caters for a friend's wedding a couple of years ago. So depending on time, method, location, etc. I might be able to help out.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm dreadfully offended to see that you don't consider me to be a *real* ringer. [Roll Eyes]

I once enquired about joining the tower ringing team but they wanted a level of committment I couldn't give.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry you're offended. [Smile]

I did try to get a [Biased] into the thread title, but it won't work. And perhaps I should have included a "UK" in the title as well.

Maybe the handbell ringers on board could do something, as well?

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real bellringers don't use their hands??

Sorry - nothing useful to contribute. But it does sound like a fun idea.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you not consider handbells to be 'real'?

A friend from university used to pull the ropey thing on the big bells, but she and her fellow ringers used to practise all of their 'moves' on handbells.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Why do you not consider handbells to be 'real'?

A friend from university used to pull the ropey thing on the big bells, but she and her fellow ringers used to practise all of their 'moves' on handbells.

<sigh>

For the avoidance of doubt: I have nothing against handbells; some of my best friends are handbells; I have no problem having handbells living in our town; I was ringing rounds on 6 vintage handbells only last night.

Just yanking the chain a bit, with an in-joke. [Big Grin]

For our normal readers: handbells can be used for change-ringing, same as tower bells with the ropes and a fluffy bit. When used as such, like BB's friend, they are a superb art form in their own right. Handbells can also be used for playing recognisable choons and there is a friendly rivalry and co-operation between the two traditions.

OK?

Back to the OP - I'll consider PMing un-dormant Shipmates owning up to campanolgical skills in their profiles.

Q.

[ 23. May 2006, 16:10: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm happy to ring rounds, but I get in a muddle with all that mixed-up stuff.

(Oh, and put me down for the handbells as well. I expect Garfield will join in.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I'd be happier ringing a few rounds and call changes - or possibly Plain Hunt on a low number such as five or six. I'm alright trebling to Grandsire or Plain Bob so long as nobody calls any Bobs or Singles. If you want a QP the only place for me is tenor behind! I suppose we could do it in an eight bell tower and have Grandsire Doubles with three covers, assuming there were enough 'inside' ringers for Doubles! [Razz]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested - depending on location of course.

Don't know about Surprise Major apart from Cambridge, but I can do a few of the easier kinds of Surprise Minor ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
I'm alright trebling to Grandsire or Plain Bob so long as nobody calls any Bobs or Singles.

Why should that matter? The treble is unaffected by any calls.

quote:

If you want a QP the only place for me is tenor behind!

You've got the job [Big Grin]

I'd be up for this. I suggested a ship quarter a few years ago but got little response, but as there are a few more of us around these days it could be a possibility.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This looks a great idea which, if it comes off, could make a good story for the media.

For that we would need a Bellringers Behaving Badly angle - I recall a shipmate, one balmy Sunday evening, being certain they heard Frankie's 'Relax...' wafting over some quiet Chiltern Hills.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
there is a friendly rivalry and co-operation between the two traditions.

Ah! Thanks for the explaination.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

OK... in addition to those posting so far, Sarum Sleuth has PMed, "a pretty competent conductor on all numbers". But he also works alternate Saturdays.

So far:

Qoheleth - PH on 6, cover to anything
The Great Gumby - Grandsire Caters
Chorister - rounds (and handbells [Ultra confused] )
Adrian1 - PH on 6, cover
Ricardus - Cambridge major
Spike - anything & (C)
Sarum Sleuth - anything & (C)

There are a few more PMs pending reply and other possible ringing Shipmates who don't advertise their condition.

Some of us may know other Shipmates as ringers IRL, without realising it on Board.

As an adult learner, who's only been at it 3 yrs, I'll leave all the technical stuff to experienced conductors and QP arrangers, like SS and Spike. I guess we need a date, a tower with reasonably easy bells somewhere near the "centre of gravity" of the band and a method to suit the volunteers.

Over to the experts - I just started the thread.

Q.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another ringer reporting in. I've rung two QPs, trebling to bob doubles and granny triples. My one attempt inside (with a band from Church despite the fact we have one bell operated by push-button) didn't work due to most people being thoroughly out of practice. I can ring Bob Doubles, Minor and Granny Doubles inside and on a good day manage Bob Major. I can also Treble Hunt (though I've not done any of that of late).

Where would be a good place? Londonish looks good given Ricardus is in Cambridge and Sarum Sleuth and Spike are in London and I seem to be over that side of the country a fair amount.

ETA: On the thread title, maybe `Tower bell ringers' would have been better.

[ 23. May 2006, 22:56: Message edited by: Carys ]

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*puts hand up* Cambridge Surprise Minor, anything Bob, Triples or Doubles. I could treble hunt for anything Major.

Might be a bit rusty, though; the two towers here in Brisvegas don't ring anything more complicated than rounds and call changes, and the reports I heard of the politics put me off ever ringing in this city!

Oh for the well-belled towers of Sydney!!!

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so impressed with all of you. I've always wanted to do be a bell ringer. When I hear the peal at the National Cathedral in DC, it gives me shivers!

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lou Fourty-Two
Shipmate
# 2578

- Posted      Profile for Lou Fourty-Two   Email Lou Fourty-Two   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello people, I'm a long-term lurker (used to post a bit, but haven't for years) and a ringer. I'll help out with a quarter if I'm wanted/needed, given I can get there! Could manage Surprise Majory stuff. I ring handbells too (though not poncey tunes, obviously... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Not insane, just universally misunderstood.

Posts: 81 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should say I'm also capable of Surprise methods, generally Minor, although I could probably manage Major given enough warning. I've conducted quarters of PB and Grandsire Doubles, but given my rustiness, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. There are definitely better candidates for conductor. And I can Treble Bob on just about any number.

On location, how many bells are we after? I know a couple of good, easy 6-bell towers in Beds which I'd be able to get hold of, and shouldn't have too much difficulty with an 8 in the same area either. Bedfordshire seems fairly central to most of the locations I've noticed on the thread, easy to get to, and there might even be facilities available locally for those who wanted/needed to stay overnight.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I ring the right sort of bells, but in the wrong country! Would be delighted to join if it were possible.

Am handling the easy minor methods quite well, and am looking to progress to Stedman fairly soon...

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

So far:

Chorister - rounds
Adrian1 - PH dbles, cover
Qoheleth - PH dbles, cover to anything
Carys - PB major, (treble bob hunt?)
Ricardus - Cambridge major
The Great Gumby - Surprise major
lou42 - Surprise major
Spike - anything & (C)
Sarum Sleuth - anything & (C)

So there's a Cambridge minor band for starters.
I'm in North Hampshire, btw, so London or Beds is ok for me, too.

Oz Chapter:
Nunc Dimittis - Cambridge minor, TB to major
Magnum Mysterium - minor

Q.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was an english-language website [Biased] - you lot are as bad as organists (possibly worse [Eek!] ).

[sounds like a cool idea though. Wonder if Radio 4's "Bells on Sunday" would be up for popping along so we can all hear it [Big Grin] ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

I just realised that if we could get a strong enough band, a quarter for the Ship's birthday would be the ideal time to ring Titanic Cinques! (Scroll to the bottom for quarter composition)

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]OK, for those of us with no tower bells (there's only a carillon about two hours drive from here) and only handbells at our disposal, where do we get the patterns for these interesting sounding peals? I'd like to know about this "Bob" thing, and the "Major" and "Minor". The "Surprise" one has a really great name! [Big Grin] [/tangent]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

\tangent <CONT>\
here are some good clear diagrams.

If you can ring these .... [Overused]

Q.
\tangent <OFF>\

--------------------

Roxanna
Apprentice
# 9639

- Posted      Profile for Roxanna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another ringer answering the call

I'm currently trying to master Grandsire triples and treble bobbing to minor methods and can plain hunt on up to eight bells.

(I'm in Derby, btw)

Posts: 33 | From: near Spigot | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When exactly is the ship's birthday? What a great meet to set up - let's hope an audio comes out of this so we can all enjoy it!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
\tangent <CONT>\
here are some good clear diagrams.

If you can ring these .... [Overused]

Q.
\tangent <OFF>\

Thanks! Now maybe I can be less confused! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Titanic Cinques

Pron: Titanic Sinks

(explanation for visitors)

Q.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
When exactly is the ship's birthday? What a great meet to set up - let's hope an audio comes out of this so we can all enjoy it!

The Ship's launch day is April Fools Day (1998)
THE boards in their current form were launched 22 May (2001)

from thread linked in OP

Hopefully, we can get an MP3 taken and posted. A quarter peal lasts about 45 mins and consists of around 1260 changes, each one unique.

Hopefully. [Eek!]

Q.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It all sounds very cool. (BTW I wasn't really offended [Biased] )

Sigh. I miss ringing. Everyone in our team had choral or band backgrounds so we preferred ringing off table from full scores with our notes marked with coloured highlighters.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the coolest saint in all Christendom – St Simeon the Holy Fool - whose Feast Day we celebrate every 21st July.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up for it if there's space. I can do bob minor fairly well, and treble/tenor to other stuff. Never rang a quarter before but I'd love to have a go [Smile]

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Spike - anything & (C)

I'm not so sure I'd go as far as to say "anything" as I've not rung regularly for a while. These days I'd probably have difficulty turning my hand to any surprise methods. I'd still feel comfortable conducting doubles or minor, and if I put my mind to it, I could "bob call" my way through a QP of Grandsire Triples.

Anyway, this looks like a brilliant idea. Even if we can't muster enough for a quarter, I reckon we've got enough to form our own guild.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
..this looks like a brilliant idea. Even if we can't muster enough for a quarter, I reckon we've got enough to form our own guild.

The St Simeon Guild of Change Ringers... Hmm sounds good.

Q.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Sorry for DP:

The Saturday nearest the Feast of St Simeon is July 22nd, also the Feast of Mrs Jesus [Smile]

Can Shipmates please indicate availability for that day?

Q.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

*bump* for those who might have missed it.

I'm available on 22nd July.

[ 31. May 2006, 14:06: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably available then, but by then my location will have changed from "Cambridge" to "Liverpool, Capital of the Universe" (or something like that).

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

**bump**

It appears that Sarum Sleuth is the most experienced conductor on board & he is available on 22nd July.

Can ringing Shipmates please indicate their availability here asap? Tower location & method/s can then be settled, based on locations of those confirming. We'd hope to give everyone a go at something, even if not a QP.

Thanks,
Q

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops, I forgot to post after I'd checked with my boyfriend. I am available on that day and will be in Cambridge that weekend so could easily pop down to London for example.

Carys

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have another engagement in Creamtealand on the 22nd. If you heard me ring, you'd probably be quite relieved.

Good Luck. If there is a favourable wind I'll listen out for you! [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

22nd should be OK for me too.

--------------------

Lou Fourty-Two
Shipmate
# 2578

- Posted      Profile for Lou Fourty-Two   Email Lou Fourty-Two   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I'll be able to make it if it's in Bedfordshire because I've got a few too many commitments in the Midlands at the moment (and too little money, for that matter! [Smile] )

Sorry about that. Hope everyone has a good time without me!

--------------------
Not insane, just universally misunderstood.

Posts: 81 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roxanna
Apprentice
# 9639

- Posted      Profile for Roxanna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for not posting sooner, I've been away on holiday.

I'm available on 22 July, with the following caveats;

1) Limited ringing ability
2) Access to location by public transport

Posts: 33 | From: near Spigot | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

Should be available, but in Liverpool, and restricted to public transport.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Roll call so far, with some presumptions, with apologies if I've got anything wrong:

Qoheleth - N Hants - can travel
Ricardus - Liverpool - public tpt
Roxanna - unknown - public tpt
Spike - London - can travel
Carys - Cambridge - can travel
TGG - Beds - can travel
Sarum Sleuth - London - can travel (C)

So, does Bedfordshirelook like a good location? I guess car drivers can be deputed to meet non-crivers at the nearest bus/train station.

Still to confirm availability:
Amorya - Up Norf (?Warwick)
Adrian1 - ?

Next time:
Lou 42
Chorister

Cheers,
Q.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Sorry, just to say I'm actually in Norwich. It's just that I can get hold of some nice bells in Beds, as that seemed relatively central. All fine otherwise - carry on! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

Bedfordshire and public transport from Cam is a nightmare. Well it is when you hate long distance buses. I know someone who used to cycle from Bedford to Cambridge fairly regularly but I'm not sure that's a good plan with a quarter too (though I've done cycling and ringing tours before now). I might have car access, but that depends on how my boyfriend feels as he has ME.

It slightly depends on where in Bedfordshire too.

Carys

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

OK, the tower I was thinking of is a nice, recently augmented 9cwt 6, fairly near to Bedford. As I'd be coming from Norwich, I might be able to give lifts from Cambridge (I should be more or less passing through), and collection from Bedford station shouldn't be a problem either for anyone else w/o car.

But it was only a suggestion, so if somewhere else would be more convenient for those who are coming, I'll go with that.

--------------------

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry guys, I'm not available for this one [Frown]

Next time?

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016