homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Author's homepage   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends where in Bedfordshire. I can get to Bedford direct on the Thameslink from these parts. Apart from that, my geography of Beds is non existent.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Dean Martin

Posts: 11578 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As mentioned above, the tower's near to Bedford, lifts to and from Bedford station easily arranged. Still waiting to see where we're all coming from, though.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5352 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Ring of Fools meet now linked from home page.

Let us know the full list of participants and where they are coming from (when available) and a running order of tunes. I can then send out a media release. Also, is anyone making a video diary of this event? Hope so...

[Cool]

[ 19. June 2006, 11:00: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2574 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
and a running order of tunes.

Tunes? TUNES? We ring methods (or possibly principles) not tunes.

Have we decided on a method?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6860 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'elp you breathe more easily...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5691 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've Bumped this up to SS, who offered to conduct. No way am I qualified (see above, passim) to judge what we can hold together as a scratch band. After AM's build-up, we don't want to be too ambitious and not get the QP! Trying to interpret peoples' expertise, conformed to 6 bells, and summarising:

Qoheleth - PH doubles allsorts
Ricardus - Cambridge
Roxanna - treble bob +?
Spike - anything
Carys - PBD?
TGG - Surprise
Sarum Sleuth - (C)

Please advise if I've under- or over-interpreted your skills. [Ultra confused]

Do people want a morning and afternoon QP? But I'm quite happy to ring in a touch and then listen to 45 mins of splendid Surpise minor [Smile]

Still to confirm availability:
Adrian1 - (PMd)

Any other takers out there to help to make up a second band?
Ringing Lurkers - register now! and sign up.

Should be fun,
Cheers,
Q.

[ 20. June 2006, 01:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2364 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
and a running order of tunes.

Tunes? TUNES? We ring methods (or possibly principles) not tunes.

Carys

If this day goes well, I'm putting in for lottery funding for a Eurovision Method Contest.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2574 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Carys - PBD?

PB Doubles and Minor. TBH I'm happier with Minor these days. Though I've rung Doubles the last couple of Sundays and was fine once I'd remember long fifths! Granny Doubles (though I got bored of being observation bell tonight). I think I've cracked Bob Major too now (not that that's relevant if we're at a 6 bell tower).

Possibly treble-bobbing, but I've not done that in Cardiff so I'm rather out of practice. I might get a chance at that again this weekend though.

Carys

--------------------

Roxanna
Apprentice
# 9639

- Posted      Profile for Roxanna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi

Hope you aren't overestimating my ringing skills.

I have rung a quarter of plain bob minor, and the treble to quarters of treble bob minor methods, but after a coupe of years of not ring very much am trying to remember grandsire singles.

I have no difficulty getting to Bedford by train though

Posts: 33 | From: near Spigot | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SS has returned & confirmed the date. He'll be along soon to sort out the ringing, I hope, with the likely band. We seem to have seven as a Shipmates band [Frown] Does anyone know any sympathetic lurkers/ associate members? SS is happy to ring an am and pm QP if that seems right.

TGG - it seems that Beds is as good a place as any. Can you book the bells, please, and give us a name for Dove & to plan transport etc?

AM - The tradition would be to call this a Quarter Peal attempt (cf Everest), since completion is not a foregone conclusion. It's usual for media contact to be made after a successful achievement. [Razz]

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tower duly booked. For those who want to look it up in Dove, it's St Mary's Carlton, Beds. Depending on the vintage of your copy, it might be listed as a 4 or 5, but it's now a very nice 9cwt 6. If anyone wants more info, let me know (PM would probably be best). There's also a good Free House pub nearby, which used to do reasonable food - I'll check on that, but I'm sure it still does good beer! [Big Grin]

SS, if you're thinking of two attempts, do you want to split them across two towers, like a mini outing? There's another 6 in the neighbouring village I could probably lay my hands on, as they've got the same tower captain. Carys, let me know if you need a lift. I'm happy to help, but if you're OK to travel, I might see if I can stay over with family nearby. And does anyone have the necessary equipment to make a video diary, as suggested by AM? At the very least, it might be worth an article for Ringing World.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5352 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Thanks, TGG.

I will probably be coming over from Harlow (Essex) that morning, so could collect people on route, including Bishops Stortford (for the Cambridge train) and Bedford and points in between.

No video available, but I'm a dab hand with the stills. [Smile]

Q.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

St Mary's looks like the perfect church.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
St Mary's looks like the perfect church.

Wow, didn't take you long to find a picture! Yes, it's a lovely church, with some very nice bells.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

TGG, how about writing a few sentences on this event for me - motivation for it, your own personal 'history' of bell-ringing (what happened during your favourite or worst ever session of bell-ringing, for example) and how much you're looking forward to meeting shipmates for the first time, things that could go wrong on the day etc.

I'll then put out a release - which may or may not get some coverage. We can but try...

[Biased]

[ 27. June 2006, 11:01: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Surely that honour falls to Qoheleth, as the originator of the thread?

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Comments from you both would be great...

[Smile]

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I'll put some words together soon. But I've got only a short history and no great anecdotes, so everyone else chip in too, & AM can redact them.

As one storyline, I note that the tenor is 1490 and listed. Has it been at Carlton for over 500yrs? Does TGG know if there is more to be said?

AM: this link gives you some editorial background on our arcane activities.
This link is to Dove, with obsessively techie info on S Mary, Carlton.

PS - Adrian1 has PMd to present his apologies.

Q.

[ 27. June 2006, 22:09: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
As one storyline, I note that the tenor is 1490 and listed. Has it been at Carlton for over 500yrs? Does TGG know if there is more to be said?

I'll need to check, but I think the bells have all been there since they were cast. I'll see if I can dig out any more info, though. I once did a small project on the history of the bells, but I can't remember for the life of me where it got to.

Sadly, not too many brilliant stories from me either, although I've heard loads about some of the people I've rung with in the past. I'll see what I can pull together.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Author's homepage   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for not getting back before, but I've been offline for a while.

Do we have a method yet? If we can get a full band, probably Grandsire Triples is the safest bet. What does anyone else think?

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Dean Martin

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Errr... currently we have seven volunteers and a nice 9 cwt six booked. Both of which mitigate against GS Triples. But things can change...

Q.

--------------------

Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may be interested in this http://www.emmausvillagecarlton.org.uk/Index.htm
I'm told it is a good place for lunch.
It was founded by a very old (I have known Dom G since I was 6) and dear friend (RIP [Votive] ) who married us 21 years ago.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roxanna
Apprentice
# 9639

- Posted      Profile for Roxanna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm content to be considered as a reserve, if I get one of those "wishes to be associated with the quarter" footnotes in the comic (assuming success).
Posts: 33 | From: near Spigot | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Errr... currently we have seven volunteers and a nice 9 cwt six booked. Both of which mitigate against GS Triples. But things can change...

Q.

Oops... my fault for not paying attention. PB Minor then?

We haven't yet discussed the most important part yet though, and that is which pub are we going to afterwards?

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Carlton has two good pubs, but I suggest The Fox, which is a Free House with good beer. Have we got a rough plan of action yet? I'd have thought we want anyone who's available turning up if we're trying for more than one quarter - that way, everyone should be able to grab the tower and ring in at least one attempt.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Carys, let me know if you need a lift. I'm happy to help, but if you're OK to travel, I might see if I can stay over with family nearby.

A lift would be useful. The Om might be up to driving to Bedford but might not and I don't fancy the bus.

quote:
And does anyone have the necessary equipment to make a video diary, as suggested by AM? At the very least, it might be worth an article for Ringing World.
We have a video camera somewhere and even our digital camera has some video facility.

Carys

--------------------

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As regards the method, Bob Minor sounds good to me. However, as there are 7 people I think we ought to attempt two quarters if possible to give everyone a fair chance. Perhaps make the second one doubles?

What do people think?

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 847 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I've been away for a while.

What times are we looking at? The nicest train from Liverpool, from the point of view of departure time and price, arrives at Bedford at 12.51.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Read old books and manuscripts.

Posts: 5650 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

SS, I think minor and doubles sounds good. I'd have thought one in the morning, one in the afternoon, but it seems that the morning would cause Ricardus some problems. Any interest in adjourning to the next village for attempt number 2? As I said, no problem getting the bells. Although there isn't anything else going on that day, I'd like to confirm when we're going to be needing the bells ASAP.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Well, might it work perhaps if I ring doubles in the morning, and then swap with Ricardus for minor in the afternoon? However, that assumes that the remaining five want 2 QPs. Are there any ringing associate members around?

I've confirmed that I will be travelling from Harlow, so I can pick people up en route if needed.

Q.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

If necessary, I could probably drum up a "ringer" or two. I think it would be much nicer if we could make this a legit SoF affair, though.

What's likely to be en route for you, Qoheleth? Just so everyone knows roughly where you're passing through. If you're going in the general direction of Cambridge, maybe we (Keren-Happuch will be coming for the ride) could take Carys one way and you could take her the other?

Also, would Emmaus (suggested upthread) be OK with everyone for lunch? The downside would be an absence of beer, but we could probably make up for that at the end of the day. Otherwise, there are pubs which do good food for lunch in nearby villages. Any opinions?

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I agree that it would be splendid to maintain 100% SoF band, but with 7 ringers attempting 2 QPs, that has to be ok for 5 of them (not me [Big Grin] ). I was wondering any lurkers or partners might emerge from the undergrowth?

Travel-wise, Harlow-B Stortford-Cambs-Snots-Beds would work for Carys. However, if she does drive, I could vary that. Either way, I would have at least 2 seats available to meet trains at Bedford. I'm happy to nip back to the station to collect Ricardus when he arrives.

Food-wise, no strong views either way. ISTM it would be nice to grab a 2nd tower after lunch.

Q.

--------------------

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely we need some beer at lunchtime what with all the stress of the quarter attempt!

SS [Disappointed]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Travel-wise, Harlow-B Stortford-Cambs-Snots-Beds would work for Carys. However, if she does drive, I could vary that. Either way, I would have at least 2 seats available to meet trains at Bedford. I'm happy to nip back to the station to collect Ricardus when he arrives.

Likewise, we could collect arrivals at the station. Again, at least two spare seats. That should cover everyone coming by train, I think.

I'll see about obtaining a neighbouring 6 for the afternoon for a grab, then. I think that should be fairly easily done. If we're doing that, and bearing in mind SS's stated preference, The Bell at Odell should be a good option for lunch.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

So... I need comments for the release re:

* Numbers coming and from where
* Motivation for event
* How long it will last
* What St Simeon would make of it

I need comments by Monday Monday (17 July) 11 am. PM or post up here.

Thanks

[Smile]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Don't know about anything else, but:
quote:

I reckon he'd think we've turned foolishness into an art form. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

To AM: (but others add their contribution, too, please)

* Numbers coming and from where
Probably seven from Basingstoke, Liverpool, Norwich, Cambridge, London.... A wide range of experience - longest: SS? n yrs, Q a novice of 3 yrs and all in between.

* Motivation for event
- Celebrate fifth anniversary of SoF BBs
- Conjunction of old and new forms of communication. The oldest bell in the tower has been calling parishoners to worship at Carlton since 1490.
- Beer, like any other meet
- Meet other shipmates IRL, like any other meet
- Do something purposeful with other shipmates IRL (are there other "affinity" meets? musicians? quilters? artists and campers, I think etc)
- Food, like any other meet
- Challenge of ringing on unknown bells with unknown people
- Beer
- Food

* How long it will last
- Hopefully we will attempt 2 quarter peals of 45 mins each, in two different towers
- currently looks like one QP each of Plain Bob Minor and one of ??mixed doubles. All venerable traditional methods, dating back over 200 yrs rung by members of the 21st cent. virtual Internet community that is SoF
- Depends on the skills of ringers who have never met or rung together before.

- Hmm..

We hope to have photos and MP3 to record the event.

AM, recognising that this runs counter to typical media practice, please note that it is thought inauspicious (nay, bad form [Frown] )in some quarters to issue a press release for a peal attempt in advance, due to the risk of failure. [Eek!] Celebratory pieces are more usual after the event.

Q.

[ 14. July 2006, 14:51: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Sorry, I've been away for a while.

What times are we looking at? The nicest train from Liverpool, from the point of view of departure time and price, arrives at Bedford at 12.51.

But will it? Helpfully, there's a train strike from 12noon on the Friday until 1159 on the Saturday. I think I'll end up travelling to Cambridge on the Thursday rather than the Friday as we'd planned.

A lift from Cam from someone would be useful.

Carys

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugger.

OTOH, if I use National Express, I can get into Bedford bus station at 1.30pm. Is that still feasible?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Read old books and manuscripts.

Posts: 5650 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

To Ricardus:

1) Such threatened rail strikes have a tendency not actually to happen.

2) If not so, I would guess that between us we can ensure that your trip is feasible and worthwhile.

To TGG:

I would prefer to detour from Harlow to collect Carys from Cambs first thing, if you can return her? Then I can head straight back to Basingstoke in the evening. Is that ok with you?

Q.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Can anyone give me a lift from Bedford?

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Right, I've got a second tower provisionally booked for the afternoon. Awaiting final confirmation of that, but I'll publish details here once it's settled.

Qoheleth, the reason I was enquiring about the return journey for Carys was the possibility of staying over with family, mentioned waaaay upthread. If that would be a problem, I might as well give Carys a lift in both directions, as it's more or less en route. Just thought I'd ask. [Smile]

Spike, collecting you from the station will be no problem. Let us know when you're going to be arriving (presumably related to when we're planning to meet up at Carlton), and we'll make sure someone can come and collect you. Mobile phones might be useful.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
AM, recognising that this runs counter to typical media practice, please note that it is thought inauspicious (nay, bad form [Frown] )in some quarters to issue a press release for a peal attempt in advance, due to the risk of failure. [Eek!] Celebratory pieces are more usual after the event.

Q.

I will desist if you wish - it's your gig - but without a heads-up release ahead of time to, say, the local radio and newspapers (our primary targets) there is little hope of any coverage after the event.

Let me know what you want me to do - or not. Possible failure - and documenting the learning process through it - is surely part of the fun and has definite media appeal.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

To AM:
I'm still a newbie here, and I don't want to get things wrong [Hot and Hormonal] . Perhaps the Everest analogy was a mistake! Ringing-technical-wise, we're doing no more than a walk in the park.

To all:
What do the rest of the band think of the ringing etiquette here, please? Having just lost a QP tonight, allegedly because I did the ringing equivalent of mentioning The Scottish Play, maybe I'm over-sensitive. Also, please add some contributions for AM's piece.

To TGG:
Apologies, I had mis-read your post upthread. Regrettably, Cambridge is not really on the way home to Basingstoke. I'll arrange the rendezvous with Spike, then. And Roxanna, when she shows up. Need to confirm start times with SS.

Thanks
Q.

--------------------

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

The time of the attempts would be useful. I'll probably come by motorbike.

SS

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Author's homepage   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I've never rung anything more complicated than a doorbell before, I hope it's ok to offer a thought here! An excellent idea by the way, and in terms of the question of media etc would it be possible to focus the release around it being a special anniversary shipmeet, St. Simeon, the old (bells) and the new (net community) bits... and then say about the bellringers of the Ship attempting (whatever it is they will attempt) and saying something like "though of course it's bad bellringing form to mention the attempt beforehand" so it's not the main focus (of the release at least)?

Sorry if that just seems to repeat what's already been said... I know what I was trying to get at anyway!
And hope you all have a great day [Smile]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2846 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Good thought, Chelley. I think something like that would be a reasonable compromise, allowing AM to get some publicity out without tempting fate too much. Can I suggest meeting up at 11? That should give everyone enough time to get there without getting up too early. A little time to ring up, then attempt the QP and it would be lunchtime more or less. If we got going promptly, we might be able to have another go if it fired out early.

AM, I'll try to get some info together in a PM for you shortly.

Carys, if you send me a PM of where to find you, we can probably start arranging collection details. Directions would be helpful, but I can look it up on Multimap otherwise.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

11 am is fine with me. And 2.30 - 3pm for the afternoon, once Ricardus has arrived - train/bus permitting?

AM: Ok - as Chelley and TGG suggest. I'll PM my phone number for any other queries. We'll leave the specialist ringing press until afterwards, but perhaps we could use your copy?

Cheers,
Andy

--------------------

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

11am is fine for me and 2.30 for the afternoon one allows ample time for lunch. As regards advance publicity, I suppose it is ok to let the press know that it is happening, but it does need to be stressed that the outcome is not guaranteed. I'm pretty experienced at calling things, but would not want to predict a succesful outcome even so. And anyway, a rope might break!

SS

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

For immediate release

COMPUTING MEETS CAMPANOLOGY AS BELL-RINGERS
HEAD TO BEDFORDSHIRE TO CELEBRATE HOLY FOOL

(LONDON – 18/7/06) --
FEWER THINGS are sillier than standing in a circle pulling ropes – and none that breeds such enthusiastic, obsessive devotion in so many people.

That’s how David Ward views one of the most unusual events of the summer – a special bell-ringing meeting this Saturday (11am, 22 July). A quarter peal will be attempted in honour of St Simeon, the holy fool, patron saint of UK webzine, shipoffools.com.

Seven bell-ringing readers are meeting for the first time at St Mary the Virgin, Carlton, Bedfordshire having set out at the crack of dawn from Basingstoke, Liverpool, Norwich, Cambridge and London.

‘Bell-ringing really does raise foolishness to an art form,’ says David. ‘It is a fitting way to honour St Simeon. I haven’t met any fellow readers of shipoffools.com (known as shipmates) in real life. Like bell-ringers they are known for being friendly and strange in equal measure. A meeting of bell-ringing shipmates could be extraordinary.’

The oldest bell in the tower at St Mary, Carlton has been calling parishioners to worship since 1490, so Saturday’s experiment is a unique meeting of old and new forms of communication - computing and campanology.

‘Absolutely anything could go wrong on the day,’ admits David, who has been bell-ringing since he was 11. ‘One of us could forget the method, or just start daydreaming – imagine paying complete attention for an entire 45-minute lesson at school! Or a bell-rope could even break! It doesn’t happen very often, but they have to stop several hundredweight of bell at every stroke, and they can be under a lot of strain.’

Each year, shipoffools.com celebrates the feast of St Simeon who played the fool to mock the idiocy of the world - and to conceal his identity as a saint. His behaviour was eccentric and scandalous. During church services, he threw nuts at the clergy. On solemn fasting days he consumed vast amounts of beans – with predictable and hilarious results.

Such behaviour is unlikely at St Mary on Saturday – ‘but if all else fails, we’ll have had a good meet, and most people will have “grabbed” a couple of towers (rung at a tower where they hadn’t before),’ says David. ‘In fact, what could be more foolish than travelling across the country for a day of pulling on ropes and ending up with nothing concrete to show for it? Maybe that would be the ultimate way to honour St Simeon…’

(ends)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2014