homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Bell Ringers Meet in honour of St Simeon--Sat 22 July
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got confirmation on the second tower, for the afternoon, which is St Peter and All Saints, Harrold. Dove details can be found here.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if the threatened train strike is still going ahead? If it is, that could cause serious problems for me.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This and this give the current state of play. Ricardus was also envisaging problems. These strikes sometimes peter out at the last moment.

I would guess that the roads will be pretty well choked as well. Without thinking of the temperature!

Watch this space?

Q

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2506 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roxanna
Apprentice
# 9639

- Posted      Profile for Roxanna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm planning to travel by train from Derby to Bedford, so would be stuck if the strike goes ahead.
Posts: 33 | From: near Spigot | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not taking any chances - I've booked a ticket with National Express to get me to Bedford Bus Station for 1.30, and a railway ticket to get me back again (since it'll be after the strike).

Roxanna - National Express can get you to Bedford by 12.00.

Posts: 7101 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pah! Having done that, it turns out the strike was called off this morning.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you get a refund on your coach ticket? [Frown]

At least we should be all set to go on Saturday! [Yipee]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roxanna - PM me with your train time, and I can collect you from the station. I'm meeting Spike at 10:35.

ETA - Ricardus ditto to confirm your later train.

Cheers,
Q.

[ 19. July 2006, 22:21: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The St Simeon bell-ringing is now the top story of the ship's homepage -- click here. Hope it all goes well. Don't forget to have a reading from our life of St Simeon sometime during the proceedings, as is traditional.

--------------------
Jumble Sales of the Apocalypse

Posts: 3769 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
winklet
Apprentice
# 11261

- Posted      Profile for winklet   Email winklet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello. Sorry to butt in mid-discussion but I'm not sure who's in charge here to PM them.

I wanted to say I hope it goes well. I would have loved to have joined you, but unfortuantely I'm in Poland just now. Maybe some other time.

Good luck [Smile]

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Hi, winklet. No one's in charge here [Eek!]

Thanks for your good wishes. Several other shipmate ringers couldn't make it this time; it could become a regular event [Smile] ? We'll count you in for next time; what do you ring?

Q.

--------------------

winklet
Apprentice
# 11261

- Posted      Profile for winklet   Email winklet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment I ring Cambridge (minor usually but have rung major too), but hopefully I'll be broadening my horizons a bit in the next few months. And I'm based in Cambridge in term-time and near Newcastle in the holidays.
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

We'll keep a rope for you next time!

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Can you get a refund on your coach ticket? [Frown]

Alas no. But some of the train journey would have been a replacement bus service anyway, so it's not too bad.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Ok - I've heard from Ricardus, but not yet from Roxanna, and I think she wants a lift from Bedford too. Please note in the event of changes of plan, I will be off-line from about midday Friday. Various people have my phone number.

Looking forward to a good day,

Q.

ETA - now I have made contact with Roxanna!

[ 20. July 2006, 21:43: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------

Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tower duly booked. For those who want to look it up in Dove, it's St Mary's Carlton, Beds.

Blimey, I haven't thought about Carlton for ages. My best mate grew up there (I'm a Linslade girl myself) and I'm now re-living all sorts of memories of necking cider on the swings in the park without having any fun because we were too stressed her parents' would come home and spring us, so we spent the whole time looking for their car.

I also have fond memories of the pub once we got older. Still sneaking around though as her parents didn't know she smoked.

Carlton will ever be a place of sneaking and ducking for me. Maybe I should have flown home to dispel the image with some bell ringing.

Hope it goes well.

[ 21. July 2006, 08:36: Message edited by: Ginga ]

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Simon's spotted this "regurgitated" report on the meet at Sarcasmo (about halfway down the page). Note the opening line:
quote:
Sarcasmo.co.uk - first with the news you won’t hear anywhere else (with good reason)
Do you think they're taking the piss? [Biased]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a call from a local paper who are sending a snapper down for a few pics around 11am. Look after him! Gave him your mobile number, TGG.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as though I'm the first one back.

Both Quarter Peals were sucessful, which is pretty impressive bearing in mind that none of us had rung together before. Much ale was consumed too.

Thanks to Qoheleth for organising it and to Sarum Sleuth for conducting.

--------------------

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Author's homepage   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations all of you on the success of both Quarter Peals!
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2857 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Grr... Shouldn't have made that cup of tea when I came in. [Razz]

And thanks to TGG for arranging the towers.

Photos & report to follow soon.

(AM: The snapper was a "she" [Hot and Hormonal] <sound of sexist knuckles being rapped>)

Q.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

The official reports, to be filed with TPTB. RL names changed to protect the innocent.
>>>>>

Carlton, Bedfordshire
St Mary the Virgin
Saturday, 22 July 2006 in 43m (9-2-7)
1259 Grandsire Doubles
1 Roxanna
2 Carys*
3 The Great Gumby
4 Spike
5 Sarum Sleuth (C)
6 Qoheleth.
* 1st inside
By 6 shipmates of www.shipoffools.com for the 5th birthday of the Ship and the Feast of St Simeon.
>>

Harrold, Bedfordshire
St Peter
Thursday, 22 June 2006 in 46m (13-0-6)
1260 Plain Bob Minor
1 Carys *
2 Roxanna
3 Spike
4 The Great Gumby
5 Ricardus
6 Sarum Sleuth (C)
* 1st minor
By 6 shipmates of www.shipoffools.com on the Feast of St Mary Magdalene.

Especial congratulations to Carys, in scoring two personal firsts in consecutive QPs on the same day. [Overused]

Q.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Especial congratulations to Carys, in scoring two personal firsts in consecutive QPs on the same day. [Overused]

And indeed doubling my number of successful QPs! My fingers are interestingly blistered but the taping up before the second one worked.

We were actually back earlier than Spike (around quarter past eight having done some shopping) but ate and things first. Odd priorities I know!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Some photos here. Not a complete set; I think others have some, too.

Q.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

and a bit of a vid here.

Does anyone know how to turn it by 90' ???

Q.

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done all - great fun, especially the video (although I have a bit of a crick in my neck now...

I trust Simeon will smile his blessings down upon you all!

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Shipmates!

(Was it really raining that hard? Lord have mercy!)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Yes, it really was raining that hard. There was some relatively nice weather in between, though. Some more photos here.

--------------------

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats - TWO quarters in a day for a band who'd never rung together deserves respect!
magdalenegospel
Shipmate
# 11619

- Posted      Profile for magdalenegospel   Email magdalenegospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one!

I haven't rung in rather too long... (And it's difficult when your nearest tower is Westminster Abbey)

Posts: 75 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done everyone for making this an excellent St Simeon venture. Photos and video are great. Hopefully the local paper will run a story + pic this week as well.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations ! Wish I could have heard it .

Peals B-4 Swine

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Wonderful! What a massively-cool Shipmeet! [Overused] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17740 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoyed reading about this one - and kudos to all those who put in so much effort.
I hope the madly defiant act of unity from the Anglican shipmates around Canberra turns out to be just as much fun this weekend!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7046 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations! Lovely pics & video, oh my! Could that rain you had be the drenching rain we had in New York on Friday, express-shipped across the Atlantic just for you [Big Grin] ? That looks like so much fun (the bells, not the rain).

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Next year, the Ship's Patronal Festival falls on the Saturday, 21st July 2007. All ringers should book the date now!

Q

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

The Ring o' Fools made it into Beattie's Diary in this week's Baptist Times (UK) - no online version, sorry.

shipoffools.com was dubbed 'wonderful' and a quote from TGG was lifted from the media release - 'bell-ringing really does raise foolishness to an art form'.

Concludes with: 'Baptists don't usually go in for saints but Beattie could be persuaded that an exception could be made for St Simeon, bless him.'

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Next year, the Ship's Patronal Festival falls on the Saturday, 21st July 2007. All ringers should book the date now!

After the success this year, what can we do to make next year's venture distinctive or unusual? I'm afraid there appear to be no belltowers in the entire country dedicated to St Simeon, which was something that crossed my mind. A quick method search also turned up no methods called Simeon, St Simeon (there is a St Simons), Ship, Fool, or any variation thereof*. Plenty of methods with stupid names, just not the ones we want! Even if they were beasts to ring, it might have been nice to attempt a touch of something appropriate.

* Although there are methods called Simon and Erin! I wonder how many other shipmates have methods named after them... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad to hear both the quarters went okay and I liked the sound clip even if the opening rounds were a touch shaky!

As it happens I was staying at Walsingham for the weekend and, on Saturday morning a group of visiting ringers from Leicestershire called to ring at Walsingham church. Hearing the bells start up I dashed down to the church and introduced myself. In accodance with long standing ringers custom they invited me to join them for a few minutes and I rang tenor behind to a touch of St Simons. At 19cwt they're a heavy six but they handle beautifully.

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...there are methods called Simon and Erin! I wonder how many other shipmates have methods named after them... [Big Grin]

FAB! I haven't rung for donkey's years, but would be prepared to have another go solely to be able to ring Simon and/or Erin on St Simeon's Day!

Corpus

[Actually, I haven't rung since I was at School - my girlfriend at the time was also a ringer and came to ring in our tower whilst staying at Mater Manor during a school holiday. She broke the stay on the treble and the Tower Captain (who hadn't liked her before and certainly didn't like her after!) was so cross I was too ashamed/scared to go back again.]

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, up the tower last week, I picked up a copy of the comic* (11th August) and found the report Qoheleth had submitted. Thanks for that.

*Info for non-ringers, the comic = "The Ringing World" a weekly paper about Bells and ringing.

Carys

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
FAB! I haven't rung for donkey's years, but would be prepared to have another go solely to be able to ring Simon and/or Erin on St Simeon's Day!

You know, until I saw that post I had completely forgotten the method "Erin Triples" otherwise I may have suggested it as a method to go for. I rang it once about 15 years ago. It's a bit like Stedman AFAIR.

So, we now have a method for next year. Quarter of Erin. Start looking it up everyone!

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You know, until I saw that post I had completely forgotten the method "Erin Triples" otherwise I may have suggested it as a method to go for. I rang it once about 15 years ago. It's a bit like Stedman AFAIR.

So, we now have a method for next year. Quarter of Erin. Start looking it up everyone!

I recall now being amused by the fact that Erin was a principle when I heard of it. Not sure I'll be up that for next year. I've not even learnt Stedman yet.

Carys

--------------------

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one or two people here know, I ring regularly at the parish church in my local market town. Well we had a little bit of hilarity in the belfry this morning - at my expense too! Recently my mother very kindly let my Sunday best trousers out a little bit to accomodate an ever expanding waistline. Putting them on this morning I thought they still felt fairly snug and that wearing a pair of braces would be unnecessary. Little did I realise that the theory was going to be put to the test.

I arrived at church as usual and climbed the 92 steps to the ringing chamber. My fellow ringers arrived and the bells were raised without incident. However we had just begun to ring call changes on eight, and I was in my usual tenor position, when I felt my trousers starting to gravitate slowly southwards. Realising there was nothing I could do about it, I was forced to let them continue their journey and a couple of seconds later they were round my ankles! I'd heard of other ringers having similar experiences during peals and carrying on as if nothing had happened so that's exactly what I did and the conductor continued to call the changes.

About 10 minutes later I was reunited with my trousers amidst much laughter! On reflection I'd rather the ladies present hadn't discovered that I had hairy legs or wore a certain brand of (reasonably clean) underpants so I've taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Have any other ringers here had similar experiences?

[Razz] [Killing me]

[ 10. September 2006, 18:06: Message edited by: Adrian1 ]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

My skirt was slipping on Thursday evening at ringing, but I wasn't too worried as I wear shorts underneath for cycling purposes. The shorts also help stop the skirt escaping.

Carys

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Quarter of Erin.

.. and if it fires out, it will be pickled 'erring
<groan [Disappointed] >.

I posted the comic reference on the meejah thread in The Styx. We also got the same piece onto Campanophile, although the report has been now been pushed off the end. All good publicity for Our Ship.

It must have been the day for trouser accidents: our QP attempt before evensong tonight fired out after 20 minutes. The tenor ringer was very relieved, as he knew his trousers were slowly descending, due to belt error... [Big Grin]

Q.

--------------------

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

Trouser and skirt mishaps certainly seem to be in vogue at the minute. I'm sorry to hear about the lost quarter - I know from people who ring them just how frustrating that can be. I hope another attempt's more successful.

[Razz]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016