homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006 (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Jen, I think this is what people have been thinking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
so they've scheduled me to go in to hospital Friday afternoon to start the induction.

Hopefully, this means a Cresswell baby this weekend.
Thanks, bb, that explains it.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
Any news on the little mad Cresswell?

Does this help?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something To Expect

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly our heartiest (and heartliest) congratulations to the esteemed Dr Cresswell and Flausa on the arrival of David "Wee Wan" James.

Lily and I would also like to make a smaller (as in 6lb 8oz) announcement: Reuben John. He arrived at 2.52pm on Sunday 14th May with no small amount of pomp and ceremony, and is a joy and a treasure.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow!!! congratulations [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Yipee]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Chris and Lily [Yipee]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
...on Sunday 14th May with no small amount of pomp and ceremony, and is a joy and a treasure.

Fantastic day to be born!

Congratulations.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations - he is very sweet! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!

[Tear]

I've finished having babies but I'll be broody till I'm at least 85, I'm sure!

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ChrisT, congratulations!

That's wonderful.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vikki Pollard:

Having grandchildren is great fun. You enjoy them for a while, and then you can leave.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant ChrisT and Lilly.

Fab!

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, ChrisT. So cute. [Smile]

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations Chris and Lily. 14th May was only one day before our due date, but David was a bit too happy to stay put.

My unbiased ( [Biased] ) opinion is that Reuben is cute, but not as cute as David.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Chris, Lily, and all of their children. Blessing on this little one.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Reuben John and congrats to your parents!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Lily, and ChrisT Beautiful baby.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations ChrisT & Lily and little RJ.

Reuben is a lovely name!

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Vikki Pollard:

Having grandchildren is great fun. You enjoy them for a while, and then you can leave.

Moo

Yes - but grandchildren aren't necessarily a given in the case of one of my daughters (and you never know anyway, do you?). And anyway it'd be a bit selfish to make 'em have babies on my account! [Biased]

[ 29. May 2006, 10:55: Message edited by: Vikki Pollard ]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Many congratulations Chris and Lily. 14th May was only one day before our due date, but David was a bit too happy to stay put.

My unbiased ( [Biased] ) opinion is that Reuben is cute, but not as cute as David.

There is an old saying: "There is only one beautiful baby in the world, and every mother has it"!

My baby turned 16 today. *Sigh* he's still cute, but where did all those years go?

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And congratulations Chris, Lily & family! (I thought you'd been a bit quiet recently!)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congrats to Chris and Lily (at least we know why you have not been around recently [Biased] )

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jillyb
Shipmate
# 4610

- Posted      Profile for Jillyb   Email Jillyb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go away for a few days and new little people arrive left right and centre [Biased] Many congrats Beth and Alan and Chris and Lily - what lovely news [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't do posh!

Posts: 1034 | From: Londinium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Chris, Lily and Reuben [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to the Taylors and the Cresswells on your little ones. [Smile]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

I remember taking it really seriously when people told me to treasure them while they're little cos it goes so quickly...

It's true! I don'thave children now - I have adults!

And strangest of all, I'm still the same age! Inside, of course - inside. [Biased]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, ChrisT [so good to hear from you] and Lily on the birth of Reuben. He's beautiful!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Cresswells and Chris and Lily. [Big Grin]

I thought I should come and say hello as Gumby and I have discovered that we're expecting a little one in January. At the moment I am feeling too hormonal and yuck to be that excited [Help] , but your pictures have made me feel more hopeful! [Yipee]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations ChrisT and Lily! He's beautiful!

Many hugs to Flausa and Alan! I'll be looking forward to meeting darling David James the next time you get on this side of the pond!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to ChrisT, Lily and Keren-Happuch!

Stick it out Keren, I felt really yucky too in the beginning but it's only been getting better since.

/Light, expecting in September

Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratualations ChrisT and Lily. Glad to hear the good news of Reuben's safe arrival!

Congratulations also to Keren-Happuch and TGG. Trust me on this, the yucky days are well worth it!

David and I are now home (and very happy to be so after such a long stint in the hospital). Just to share briefly, he was under a great deal of stress during labour, so I ended up having to have a C-Section. Thankfully, we chose to do so at a stage still early enough on (13 hours after the induction process started) that they were able to do a spinal/epidural, so I was awake and alert for the delivery. Just hopefully as a note of encouragement to Bronwyn, this was still an amazing experience, and both Alan and I were able to see David almost immediately upon delivery. Alan was able to hold him after he was cleaned up, and I was able to hold him once we left the operating theatre (about half an hour). And a huge upside is that he's not a conehead!

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I've got to say that the c-section could have been worse. At least we had a local anaesthetic and were both there and conscious (despite almost 24h without sleep by that stage, the adrenalin was keeping me very much awake, the lack of sleep didn't kick in 'til long after we knew everything was OK) and heard David cry as he came out, even if we couldn't see anything behind a sheet screening off the actual surgery. I could hold Flausa's shoulder (hands weren't available due to assorted drips and monitoring gear), and got to hold David and show him to Flausa within minutes of the birth. There was a possibility of a real emergency, which would have left Flausa under a general anaesthetic and me pacing uselessly in some waiting room (the time I spent waiting while they sorted out the anaesthetic was bad enough).

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations, Alan and Flausa! Very happy news.

And to Lily and ChrisT, too, for their wonderful event!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, shucks, y'all are just too kind [Smile]

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Chris and Lily, hope everything is going well! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to all the new parents, and good luck as you embark on the next stage of your lives.

JJB

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Dr and Flausa, I have gone over the ceasor in my mind, trying not to think of all the things which could be not be ideal(baby sick, needing oxygen and rushed off, the thetre staff not allowing breast feeding as I was told can happen, going into labor and well having to have an emergency one so being asleep, Sean not being there, Sean having a cold and them not letting him in, the dragon who yells at me when I take patients over for day proceedures being on duty and insisting I do this or that. Them treating me poorly as I work in an area of the hospital which is to them a joke, me getting stressed about the whole thing and not being able to cope)

I have on more rational days we have been able to make a plan and well if I have a choice I would love our birth to go as well as yours, I have decided on a few things like getting them to lower the drape(they offer this where I am) so I can see baby born. Blood doesn't worry me too much, and I HAVE seen a couple of the ops before as a student. Also asking no one to say if we have a boy or girl until Sean does or I do.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Tea
Shipmate
# 10570

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Tea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:
Thanks Dr and Flausa, I have gone over the ceasor in my mind, trying not to think of all the things which could be not be ideal ...

I had a caesarian with my last (an emergency rather than planned one, but not such an emergency that it had to be a general anaesthetic). True, a lot can go wrong, but most of the time none of the yucky things you describe do actually happen (well, I don't know about the dragons who work in your hospital of course!). So ISTMT there's no point in worrying about them. It's starting to look likely that Baby Tea #2 will arrive the same way; not my first choice but not something I'm going to allow to spoil the rest of the waiting period.

You know when you go on a roller-coaster there's a moment when the car reaches the top, it stops clicking, isn't moving at all, and you know you'd better just relax and enjoy the ride 'cos there's nothing else you can do? The moment after you've signed the consent form is a bit like that...

Posts: 58 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
holly

Mine's a double
# 689

- Posted      Profile for holly   Author's homepage   Email holly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Alan, Flausa, ChrisT and lily.
Both babies look absolutely beautiful.

love

Holly & JonoT

xxx

--------------------
If i had a million dollars. Id buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

Posts: 733 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, only just spotted this (after Holly mis-posted on the Cresswells' thread). Congratulations Chris and Lily. [Smile] [Yipee]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
holly

Mine's a double
# 689

- Posted      Profile for holly   Author's homepage   Email holly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
Wow, only just spotted this (after Holly mis-posted on the Cresswells' thread). Congratulations Chris and Lily. [Smile] [Yipee]

Paul W

Thanks for bringing that up Paul [Razz]

holly xxx

--------------------
If i had a million dollars. Id buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

Posts: 733 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holly's obviously had one double too many. [Biased]
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(major yippees to all with happy news!)

I haven't been in the family way for almost 5 years, but with chasee#1 I had an energency C-Secion after 95 hours of labor. I was also conscious at the surgery.

I have had two VBACs since then, so it's possible.

try not to fret too much, Bronwyn, you'll just cause yourself too much stress. be easy. A Ceasarian is not any less of a magical moment than a VB.

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things that was drummed into us during the ante-natal classes is that the husband has a very definitely role in all of this, he is the buffer between the woman and the medical establishment. He is the one who will stick up for his wife, and protect her when she is at her most vulernable.

Wny not have a discussion with Sean about this idea and see what he thinks. Could he be your St George and protect you from the dragon?

Neither of my children had their first feed in theatre. It must have been about 30 mins after their births that they fed. It didn't seem to have any negative effect on getting feeding established. If anything it might have helped as they were both rather hungry by the time they were put to the breast.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:

Neither of my children had their first feed in theatre. It must have been about 30 mins after their births that they fed. It didn't seem to have any negative effect on getting feeding established. If anything it might have helped as they were both rather hungry by the time they were put to the breast.

Neither did the Ratling - it wouldn't have been possible or safe in theatre, I think, since both my arms were occupied with drips and I was lying on an open-sided bench type of thing. He could easily have rolled off or got tangled up in equipment. After the birth I had to be checked for damage and then stitched, so he certainly didn't feed right away.

In Recovery, though, I was put in a bed with proper sides and they immediately brought the Ratling for 'skin to skin', when he rooted for the breast and fed. I think that could have been as much as 30 minutes after he was born. As far as I know there's been no harm done, and he never showed any disinclination for feeding.

I'd try not to stress too much about it, Bronwyn (yeah, I know how much that kind of advice helps! [Biased] ). At least your visit to theatre is planned rather than unexpected, so you can discuss your plans with Sean and prime the staff too, before you get distracted.

Are you the next due?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Can any of the Scottish mums tell me about this tradition of people pressing coins into baby's hand upon their first meeting. I had several people tell me at church today, "it's not a gift ... it's tradition." Any idea where this has come from?
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Can any of the Scottish mums tell me about this tradition of people pressing coins into baby's hand upon their first meeting. I had several people tell me at church today, "it's not a gift ... it's tradition." Any idea where this has come from?

I'm not Scottish, but my family's from Cumbria, and this custom is common especially in the northern part of the county, up by the Wall and along the Border.

It's called "Hanselling." Basically, it's for luck, and also establishes how good the child will be with money. If the baby holds onto the coin, he or she will always be good with money. If they drop it, they will will not be.

Also if it's a silver coin (which it won't be, due to the sad adulteration of the coin of the realm), it will help with keeping the Little Folk away from the baby.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
It's called "Hanselling."

A 'hansel' is another word for 'gift' in Scots.

When my little ones were babies they didn't get money put in their hands, but the money was put into the pram. It was usually a few silver coloured coins, occasionally a pound coin. This was given in addition to any baby gifts.

The first Monday of the New Year was a public holiday over much of Scotland, and that was called Hansel Day. It was the custom for the employers to give a gift of some silver on that day.

One website suggests that 'inaugural gift' might be a better translation. Another Scottish tradition is to put a hansel in a purse that is given as a gift. The idea is that the person will always have money in their purse.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016