homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006 (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You get the extra support from the extra thick straps and the concrete-reinforced cups.

See here for what I mean by that.

From memory, underwire is bad.

Maternity bras are, on the whole, ugly. It's just as well that pregnant women are, on the whole, beautiful.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that link, LATA!

The man's guide to lingerie should be required reading!

[scurries off to look at the full-figure sports bras]

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Underwire supposedly can squish the milk ducts, leading to clogs and possible infection. But I'd ask my doctor.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my breasts suddenly grew at least 2 cup sizes (in the first two months of the pregnancy) I went and got fitted with a new underwired bra. It does not pinch or squish at all and is very "supportive". I'm happy that I finally had a professional fitting, even though it was a little more expensive than the bras I usually get. It looks much better than the soft maternity bra I went out and bought first (which was great to sleep in when the breasts were still hurting!) and is very comfortable.

I can see how a badly fitted underwired bra could cause problems, but as long as you feel comfortable it can't be bad. I guess if you are experiencing leakage (I'm not, yet) a maternity bra might be more practical though.

Still three months to go for me until (hopefully) maternity bras become unavoidable... [Big Grin]

Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Light:
When my breasts suddenly grew at least 2 cup sizes

Underwired bras are not recommended for women whose breast are growing quickly or are changing shape. Apparently there is the danger that women will stay too long in a bra that doesn't fit properly and that the underwires can damage the breast.

It sounds like as long as you are aware of the possible problems and get measured regularly then it is up to the individual.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well back from Melbourne. No idea about bras I went and was fitted once in early pregnancy once a couple of weeks ago. I had not changed since early on.

Melbourne was fine but I was so tired the time mainly was rest, do something, then rest and eat.

I know when I do too much I get pain. Driving back was hard but Sean did most. He has been an angel.

Wont type too much as on Seans work puter as the normal one is a dead thing now apparently and we need a new one. [Frown] Baby bonus now used I guess.
Hate this laptop.

FWIW We are ahead by about 11 hours to the UK and so eve of the 3 July will be the birth.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK just realised some may think we should spend baby money on baby. I guess we will spend the money on baby just this is a bonus which came at the time to buy the computer. Guess I could say the baby will be well provided for, please do not worry.

Have spent 5 times at least the bonus with IVF!!!!

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron,

it's your money - spend it on what you want and what you need, for goodness' sake! [Smile]

Will be thinking of you next week, praying that all will be well with the three of you.

God bless
Love Ags

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean I shouldn't be spending my monthly family allowance cheque on poker nights?

But... if I win- it's all going into the college fund.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:
OK just realised some may think we should spend baby money on baby. I guess we will spend the money on baby just this is a bonus which came at the time to buy the computer. Guess I could say the baby will be well provided for, please do not worry.

Have spent 5 times at least the bonus with IVF!!!!

Lets get this straight. You are sensible and spend on the baby and then can not post birth announcement, pictures of child etc on SOF because you do not have a computer on which to post, or ....

I think you are putting our unselfishness (high moral tones) a bit too high!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

OK glad it isn't considered not appropiate. Been spending the day arranging the house for baby...so tiring glad I didn't leave the shopping til the last minute.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway, Bronwyn, what makes you think it's YOUR computer?! Baby may have other ideas...

Not long now [Yipee] [Votive]

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Won't they just. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
You get the extra support from the extra thick straps and the concrete-reinforced cups.

See here for what I mean by that.

From memory, underwire is bad.

Maternity bras are, on the whole, ugly. It's just as well that pregnant women are, on the whole, beautiful.

I had no idea that there was a size 50K [Eek!] I can't imagine the support required just to do one's daily activities with such.

On another note: Again, hearty congrats to all the new mommies and mommies -to-be. It's so nice that you have a thread to share your experiences.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Wide awake at 3am. I have a question. OK I am a large girl and Although I have not put on weight I have become larger in the tummy. I really do not look pregnant just fat, and waddling along and been seen to be buying food. I am very conscious of men looking at me all over, lastly my face with a look of disbelief I could possiably want food with my weight and esp not a milkshake.
Finding it increasing annoying, I know it will be over soon but is spoiling my last few weeks.
Anyone else had this experience?

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you should definitely go "pregnant and proud" Bronwyn! Try the obvious approach!

(not long to go now!) xx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Bron - up to twenty years after the birth! lol

Can you PM me with your address? I think I've got the right one but I'm not sure!

Lucy is SO excited for you! (As are Holly and I!)

[Votive] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except the shirt in question wouldn't come near covering a bump of more than 3 months. [Hot and Hormonal]

God's blessings to you, Bronwyn x 2!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could walk around with a dreamy look on your face and stroke your bump. Another idea would be to suddenly jump, and then say in a loud voice "Oi, baby, that one really hurt!" "Watch out, that was almost my bladder." [Big Grin]

You might like to make your own 'baby on board' t-shirt from one of your t-shirts that fits and either a permanent marker, or a fabric pen.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or get one of those "baby onboard" signs some people leave stuck in their cars rear windows until their children are into their 20's, and stick it on your back.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't run into that when I was actually pregnant, Bron, but I remember getting some of the sort of nasty once-over look you describe from certain men after my first baby was born. It was mid-summer and beastly hot and the few maternity tops I had that were even remotely cool enough I was also sick-to-death of wearing, so I wore various old t-shirts and what-not. Unfortunately the enlarged nursing-mother bustline and the post-delivery saggy tummy made them a bit snug and not always flattering (that's an understatement), but I had neither money nor energy nor inclination to goes clothes-shopping at that point.

There's not much you can do except give them a cold glare and/or ignore them, but it really does make you feel shitty. I still remember that. Do your best to return your thoughts to the baby and Sean and shrug off the negative thoughts. And remind yourself that anyone rude enough to look at you like that is a jerk and an asshole.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I didn't look pregnant either (due to my weight and the way I carried him) even as we went into the hospital. Wish there was some easy way to shame the a*&^&*^(s. As if it's any of their business.
ETA: Could you, perhaps, give a long meaningful look at their groins and then shake your head and giggle?

[ 30. June 2006, 04:19: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info on bras. Can any UK shipmates advise on NHS vs NCT antenatal classes? Mother-in-law is recommending the NCT but they're expensive and the midwife says we'd need to book now!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Thanks for the info on bras. Can any UK shipmates advise on NHS vs NCT antenatal classes? Mother-in-law is recommending the NCT but they're expensive and the midwife says we'd need to book now!

I went to a peri-natal meeting yesterday with a load of professionals who have a special interest in child development etc. They were all raving on about the NCT and how important the relationships that they developed there have been to them.

Other than that, no experience of either at all!!! Except for, you might be lucky to find any staff in the NHS! [Snigger]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron, I got huge , and I mean HUGE when I was expecting the Amosling (I'd been rather tiny before). I wore men's shirts in the largest size, big elasticized maternity trousers, and Doc Martens (the only things in the closet that would go on my swollen feet). Right towards the end of about week 37 I had to fly from Houston to London. I know, I shouldn't have, but I wasn't going to produce a little Texan, was I? Did they let me board first along with the old people and people with children? Did they, heck! 'You're just fat,' said the woman at the gate, 'You board with your row.'

Bron, it is so utterly marvellous that you are having this baby. It's a miracle. Who gives a hoot what some stupid guys think? They don't know you. They don't know your story. [Axe murder] [Votive]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about the NCT classes.

But our NHS antenatal care was excellent. It is a midwife-led practice, we had a 6 or 8 week course of antenatal classes run by midwives, and another 2 classes run by physiotherapists to advise on physical care during pregnancy and labour. The midwife classes covered subjects such as pain relief, water birth, home birth, breast feeding, relaxation, what to expect at the hospital, care of the newborn, etc. We also had midwife-run aquanatal classes at the local authority swimming pool. I found them all extremely helpful, informative and professional. We do not have a shortage of midwives in our area, of course.

They were also helpful in building relationships with the practice midwives so you didn't feel intimidated phoning them up in early labour or after the birth to ask questions. There was also a very good chance that the midwife who was with you through labour would be someone you already knew, though naturally that can't be guaranteed.

Post-natally, as well as the standard baby clinic run by your assigned health visitor, the midwife unit runs a course of postnatal classes that cover topics such as crying, weaning, dental care, etc. The midwives are quite honest that the point of these classes is not so much the subject matter but an attempt to help the new parents build some social capital. This is a 'dormitory' area where a lot of people moved as DINKies, so have no family locally and their existing social networks are through work, so new mums often find themselves very isolated. Once the course is finished the group is encouraged to keep on meeting, and are introduced to the local family centre for this purpose.

There is also a breastfeeding support group that meets weekly, and a baby massage course (though since one of our antenatal group turns out to be a baby massage instructor we're organising our own class).

I imagine NHS provision will vary by area, so you may need to do some research on what your practice offers. But I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the NHS offering will be substandard.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be a double post, sorry!

Bron, I looked fat rather than pregnant right up until about 38 weeks. Most unfair, because I actually didn't put on much weight and my arms and legs wound up thinner than they were pre-pregnancy! But my middle was just like a barrel, with no obviously bump-shaped bump.

I felt very much like people were looking at me askance, and being critical. But Amos is right, ignore the buggers and hug your knowledge to yourself, what do those ignorant people know?

I think it's a pity, though, that pregnancy seems to be having a period of being the latest celebrity fad - and we're being conned into thinking that the only acceptable way to be pregnant is the Hollywood way...huge, perfect bump on an otherwise skinny body (a bit like a spider I always think). Certainly maternity clothes seem to be designed with that shape in mind, and that shape only. I'm sure that's the natural shape for some mums, but obviously it isn't for everyone!

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jillyb
Shipmate
# 4610

- Posted      Profile for Jillyb   Email Jillyb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thinking of you Bron and Sean as your little ones birthday approaches, hope all goes well. It's just brilliant [Yipee]

--------------------
I don't do posh!

Posts: 1034 | From: Londinium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

Oh, and while I'm on a roll... I bloody hate maternity bras and nursing bras. I now know the full meaning of the word matronly. As if it wasn't bad enough that I have to give up alcohol, and peanut butter, and pate, and (temporarily) cycling, I have to walk around with this saggy, baggy monstrosity of a bosom as well.

As soon as I get done breastfeeding I'm going out to buy the pointiest, perkiest, most underwired bra they have in the shop. So there.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
I have to walk around with this saggy, baggy monstrosity of a bosom as well. As soon as I get done breastfeeding I'm going out to buy the pointiest, perkiest, most underwired bra they have in the shop. So there.

I believe it was at about this same time post-pregnancy that Anne Lamott wrote, in "Operating Instructions", "When this is all over, I'm going to hold an awards banquet for my body."

quote:
... we're being conned into thinking that the only acceptable way to be pregnant is the Hollywood way...huge, perfect bump on an otherwise skinny body (a bit like a spider I always think). Certainly maternity clothes seem to be designed with that shape in mind, and that shape only.
I'm so sorry to hear that. The same shift in fashions happened when I was pregnant with my son, 19 years ago. Suddenly all the maternity dresses in the shops fit tightly through the hips and thighs... and I had gained 50 pounds and had an ass as wide as Montana. To top things off, the large-size clothing I had left over from my first pregnancy was heavy winter material, and here we were having the hottest September ever! Misery.

[ 01. July 2006, 01:41: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

I have been ignoring them, thanks or the suport and also acknowledging it happens. I do really look like an extra fat person although people who know me would know the truth.

Interesting about the maternity clothes fasions, I actually managed to obtain one item which was maternity which fitted. I know I am large but not that big that nothing fitted. I still haven't put on weight and I wont now I guess. I have just been wearing for the main part my own clothes, and surprisingly one set of pants is MUCH looser now than before I was pregnant around the thighs. The tight clothes like jeans have been packed away but mostly my own, which I think means I look less pregnant and more just fat.
Had never looked much at fasion less so maternity but it makes sense as to why I could not buy any clothes. NB mens shirts are a great buy and I had one for work two for elsewhere. This was after my horrid uniform would not do up.

3 days to go...

--------------------

babybear
# 34

When I was pregnant meternity clothes only went up to a size 16. I found that Evans (a high street women's clothes shop with sizes 16+) was absolutely fantastic. They didn't have any maternity wear, but they did have clothes designed for larger women.

A friend from church and I were pregnant at the same time (delivered a day apart), I looked pregnant, she looked like someone had stuffed a basketball up her dress.

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will be praying for you and yours, Bron!

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very exciting, Bron! Best of luck.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat, here's hoping your dreams come true but just in case,learn to appreciate your boobs... mine went up frm a 34B to a - well, never mind that now - 20 years on they are still a 38DD even though I've just lost several dress sizes.

I liked to think of them as 'keen' [Roll Eyes] .

Fashion changes. When I was quite pregnant, big Laura Ashley dresses fitted perfectly. And you didn't pay for NCT classes. I think NCT/NHS depends on your personality. I got a lot of good information from the NCT but although I did go on to have drug-free births I couldn't help wondering how the women felt who'd had to 'settle' for drugs and intervention. Hopefully things have moved on a lot since but back then there was a lot of judgementalism around - and the NCT crowd just weren't 'me' - but that was more because of where we were living at the time. I know lots of people find them incredibly helpful - but if you have to pay, at this already expensive time, I do know lots of people who also find the NHS courses great too.

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NCT v NHS

I did both as a didn't know anyone in the area and I needed to network and find other women with new babies.

The NHS classes were huge but I found several like minded souls and we stayed in contact until our children went to school. The NCT was more precious and middle class but I still found 4 or 5 nice ladies and 1 very good friend. The NCT approach did drive me a bit potty at times and I did need lots of intervention at the birth and couldn't breast feed. As a result I felt like a complete failure but the friends I made by joining the groups were worth the NCT pitch which you really do need to balance out with your experience, your body and your needs.

By the time I got to child number 3 and was telling the midwives exactly what I wanted in terms of pain relief and the doses (I'm very petite and normal doses knock me out) one of the midwives did confide that lots of the problems they encounter are as a result of first time mums being very inflexible in terms of what they will consider in terms of pain relief and how they will deliver the babies. She blamed the NCT for the rigidity of thought in the women she saw.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
...Anne Lamott wrote, in "Operating Instructions", "When this is all over, I'm going to hold an awards banquet for my body."

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for moms. It not only acknowledges how stinkin' hard mothering is - while not being whiney even for a moment - but it also pays homage to the strong, intellegent woman who is still there, despite the diapers and milky shirtfronts.

I buy this book for all new moms in my circle of friends.

Comet

(Go get'em Bron! I'll be checking for happy announcements! and piss on those rude buggers eyeing you! if you're feeling up to it, you could say something like, "You just want me so bad don't you, big boy?")

[ 01. July 2006, 14:33: Message edited by: cometchaser ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Bronwyn, I'm thinking about you and Sean and the little one and will hold you in my prayers over the next few days. [Votive]

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Thanks for you well wishes, was overcome with emotion today the church had put together a baby basket full of baby clothes mostly second hand, bunny rugs and nappies. Was so sweet. All are very excited as no baby has been born in the church for several years and the most people are well grandparents so not likely to have them.

All ready now just tomorrow and a sleep and I will be a mummy.

An aside I found the prenatal classes offered by the hospital not very helpful, spoke a lot about a natural birth as if it were the one and only way(no wonder a lot of people think they have failed, even I had although I had resolved it in my mind)
The classes were not organized and one we spent an hour waiting until we were dismissed to go home she didn't know how to rap it up. Hard when Sean had a very long term.
The brestfeeding one was well a couple of hours on why it is good and then no practical advice, the breastfeeding association were much better.

OK dinner time!!!!

Take care all hopefully will let you know ASAP about baby.

--------------------

Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:

Comet

(Go get'em Bron! I'll be checking for happy announcements! and piss on those rude buggers eyeing you! if you're feeling up to it, you could say something like, "You just want me so bad don't you, big boy?")

[Killing me] Not sure what Sean would think about that one! lol

Bron! Lucy is skipping round upstairs singing, "BellyBaby's almost here!!"

So much love and prayers from our little household.

Hope Sean is feeling good too.

[Votive]

--------------------

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

quote:
All ready now just tomorrow and a sleep and I will be a mummy.

That's so much more exciting than "one more sleep 'til Christmas".

Lots of love and hope and prayers coming from all over the place for all three of you.

And, umm, don't expect to lose that 'overcome with emotion' feeling soon. I get all 'verklempt' at the slightest provocation. I got weepy over the (lame and really not that emotionally charged) Canada Day Parade.

Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron,
love and prayers. Hope all is well [Votive] [Overused]

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron, Sean and baby - love and prayers winging your way for the big day. [Smile]

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying, Bronwyn and Sean and littl'un.

[Axe murder] [Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for you well wishes, was overcome with emotion today the church had put together a baby basket full of baby clothes mostly second hand, bunny rugs and nappies. Was so sweet. All are very excited as no baby has been born in the church for several years and the most people are well grandparents so not likely to have them.

This is wonderful that you have so much church suport. But do brace yourself for a lot of unsolicited advice about the details of how you are taking care of your baby, and practice saying "Thank you for the advice" without feeling any need to pay attention to any of it. Every mother-father-child relationship is unique and outsiders can only see part of the picture.

Above all, relax and enjoy getting to know your baby. You'll make mistakes, we all do, but 99% of the time they're minor mistakes and everything is fine in the end. Trust me, if you can relax and not worry, there is nothing in this world as fascinating and as much fun as watching a small infant discover the world bit by bit.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bronwyn... thinking of you all [Axe murder]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

So excited - praying... [Votive]

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ditto [Smile] [Smile] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if I've wrestled with the time/date difference correctly, we over here in the Central Standard Time Zone might hear something here by our July 4th morning?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
So if I've wrestled with the time/date difference correctly, we over here in the Central Standard Time Zone might hear something here by our July 4th morning?

Yes I think that is correct. Have left strict instructions for Sean to post the news!!!!!

Got a time for admission now..getting scary. Been spending my time resting in preparation!!!!

This will be my last post as a pregnant woman.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016