homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Shipmates Expecting 2006
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
I did find it amusing when the midwife said to me with a deadly serious expression, "you won't be able to use a TENS machine if you chose a water birth." I had to really control my response on that one. I really wanted to throw a mock hissy fit and protest, "What?!? I won't?!? Why ever not?" But on that occasion, I refrained.

We had the same conversation with our midwife. Then she told us, in similarly serious tones, that 'if the father wants to get in the pool we must insist he wears swimming trunks'.

We couldn't help but start giggling then.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess as a nurse you would be surprised how much people actually need to be told these things...wont go into details but yes is better to tell everyone to help prevent a situation.

Today I grew out of my uniform for work, yesterday it fitted, today it wouldn't, I think the baby moved or something as I feel it heaps today esp when cleaning the shower I told Sean baby didn't like me doing the shower.. [Big Grin] . It was funny people asked me if I had a different shirt on(An oversized one which one of my work colls had had before she lost a lot of weight) all people who had been pregnant believed I could have grown out of it in one day, all who had not been didn't.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michèle

Bunny sister
# 1401

- Posted      Profile for Michèle   Email Michèle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat - what I usually suggest is for ladies (and their men) to expect anything to change at any moment! So, don't be surprised, if in fact when you are in the water, you just can't get out in the end. Most women don't want to leave unless it's necessary and you don't even have to get out to wee (I always give my ladies a bedpan and leave the room for a mo).

Also, the guys need to know that what works one minute is bad the next, so not to be surprised if that wonderful massage is suddenly rejected with a swatted arm and a screech!

Good luck
Am keeping an interested eye and prayers for you all.

m

[ 12. April 2006, 14:54: Message edited by: Michèle ]

Posts: 944 | From: Dissertation Hell | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The methods of pain relief I worked through at home were massage (lavender and jasmine oil), paracetomol, relaxation and sleep, warm bath and finally TENS. My husband told me the TENS machine had 15 settings, but as I had no idea how dilated I was or how fast I was progressing, I was trying to move through the levels really slowly, and in the end, didn't use even half of the levels available.

At the hospital, I was straight onto gas and air - I thought it was fantastic, partly because it keeps you breathing slowly and deeply through contractions. About 2 hours after we arrived, I was ready for the birthpool. I thought that was great too. However, my waters had not broken, and when the head became visible in the amniotic sac, the fluid was stained, and I was asked to get out of the water after only about half an hour.

I then delivered Beeb very quickly on the floor next to the birthpool without any pain relief at all.

Good luck to those of you due to deliver in the near future. I wish you a labour as short as mine but without the need for as many sutures afterwards.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering how people are getting on with 'maternity leave'. A friend said it was a really big shock to her system not to have to go to work and she found it hard to cope with at times.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I was wondering how people are getting on with 'maternity leave'. A friend said it was a really big shock to her system not to have to go to work and she found it hard to cope with at times.

I'm enjoying it so far, but of course the baby isn't here yet.

I did think it might be strange, so I've made an effort to set up and stick to a routine. In the mornings I work on a website project I've got going on, a bit of gentle exercise after lunch, then the afternoon is for housework and cooking. Of course I realise that when the baby arrives it'll throw my cosy routine right out the window, so I'm not sure how things will go then - just have to take it as it comes I suppose.

For the moment, though, I'm finding it good. I certainly feel far more relaxed and far less anxious than I did during the last month or so of 'proper' work, when I seemed to be continually torn in incompatible directions.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to the first anti-natal class last night, with Sean. Was ok but a little upset I will never be given the chance to try labor and realised how many of the classes were devoted to it but made me think people who are expecting a labor would feel cheated if they didn't get it with the hype. All the people were first time parents and really one of the aims was to get to know some other pregnant people.

[ 13. April 2006, 18:14: Message edited by: Bronwyn ]

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:
... Was ok but a little upset I will never be given the chance to try labor...

Bronwyn, I have been there too. I had enormous fibroids during my first pregnancy, and found out in the 9th month that they had shifted down and were blocking baby's way out. I was so disappointed. All I can say is that the doctor and nurses did everything they could to make the delivery a special time for us. May it be for you too!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Guess I have already known as my history would mean it was dangerous-having had a fibrois removed which was so large the dr is amazed I still have a uterus(1.3kg), just I guess when I was told this the chance of a child was so remote I didn't think it was too much to bear. I guess I am learning as a pregnant woman much of the hype of a natural birth is by the professionals.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw Bron... I'm sure it will be special for you.

And at least you won't get piles! [Big Grin]

Lucy won't ever give birth vaginally even if she gets pregnant. Watching her throwing up when she went back on the Pill this week after one of her four periods a year, I foudn myself wondering if she would get morning sickness as badly as me. I've always found when broody (ie recently and nothing to be done about it)that the memory of the birth didn't put me off in the least, but I only have to think bck to those 6 months of vomiting... shudder... [Projectile]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron, I sympathise. I felt that the emphasis in the antenatal classes I went to was rather too heavily on 'natural' birth too. There was very little said about caesareans and what to expect, or even about inductions, so the classes weren't much use to me either as I ended up having a failed induction (3 days of it, ugh!) which resulted in an emergency section when the baby got distressed.

I think that there can be too much emphasis in ante-natal classes on getting the baby born, and not enough on preparing for life together after birth, which is the real long-term challenge. All babies are miraculous, all births are miraculous however they are achieved, but they are not an end in themselves. As Churchill said in a different context, it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning!

[Votive] for everyone here who's facing the joys, frustrations, anxieties and challenges of childbirth and parenthood. Good luck to us all!

JJB

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bron, the classes are supposed to benefit everyone who attends, so you should ask for information to be provided that is relevant to you. In the class we've been attending, they ask every week if anyone is have a C-section or induction so that they can direct the class accordingly. In one class, even though no one said they had a section planned yet, both the physical therapist and the midwife spent time talking about C-Sections and what to expect before, during and after. They stated this was important because every expectant mother needed the information just in case (as would the birth companions need to know what to expect).

Had check-up today (they are every week from here on out), and everything's A-ok. Have only put on one more kilo (in spite of our decadent weekend away) in four weeks, putting me up to five kilos gained over the whole time. Am still happy with that, but am hoping I hold steady from here on out.

I am really enjoying not working, but my identity has never been tied up in my job, so I'm just as happy not having one. I'm continuing to keep in contact with my colleagues (including some in India and Indonesia), because they have become friends, and I will be going out to lunch with some of them this week. I find it very easy to fill my days what with walking hubby to work, picking up groceries, regular housework, prepping the house for baby, stamp collecting, playing my keyboard, knitting a blanket for baby, putzing on the computer, wandering around the town centre, trying new recipes, and just reading, listening to music and relaxing. Somehow it seems I look at the clock and it's 11am and the next thing I know it's suddenly 4:30pm. It's a good thing.

By the way, Rat how are you doing?

[ 18. April 2006, 12:12: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:

By the way, Rat how are you doing?

Oh, I'm OK. Still here, still heavy, still waiting...

Getting a touch fed up now, I'd just like all this to be over! So we can get on with this new phase of life, whatever it's going to be...

Oh well, I'm only 4 days past due, so perfectly normal - I guess it just feels longer [Biased]

--------------------

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you get past your due date, every day seems like a life time. I booked myself in for a facial and a leg wax which was a really great way of spending an afternoon.

Mind you, when the new phase starts, you be thinking "What the hell did I do before which was so time consuming???!"

[ 19. April 2006, 09:24: Message edited by: Annie P ]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
... Was ok but a little upset I will never be given the chance to try labor...

Bronwyn, I have been there too. I had enormous fibroids during my first pregnancy, and found out in the 9th month that they had shifted down and were blocking baby's way out. I was so disappointed. All I can say is that the doctor and nurses did everything they could to make the delivery a special time for us. May it be for you too!
Bronwyn, I've been there too as well. Mr Amos and I went to all the classes, were really excited about him being present at the birth, all psyched up about breathing and so forth----and then the Amosling was an emergency c-section and Mr A was at the time too ill to be allowed in the theatre. And yet, partly because of the wonderful medical staff, but largely because it was our own longed-for baby, it was an unforgettable, wonderful time. The best moment, I still think, is seeing your child's face for the first time. God bless you and be with you and Sean and your little one, and prayers for all the expectant parents on Shipboard.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Thanks for your support, I have emailed the midwife and she has sent me a comprehensive program as to when things are and actually suggested we turn up late to one session. Think I was a bit depressed about the whole idea of hearing nearly 3 hours a week on how great natural birth is. (Well not really just when you get depressed things seem like that) I really have got the pregnant waddle now and am questioning if I am going to keep working. I feel so tired but I will give it up if I need to and for the first time in ages I actually feel good about my work, less stress and so on.
Went shopping yesterday, didn't mean to but ended up in the baby section of the store and bought a heap of different sized grow suits in varrious sizes. I justified it in that they were 50% off and I had a futher voucher for 20% off. So exciting. Made me feel good. Now I am just looking for excuses not to do the house work, and running out fast.

--------------------

Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in week 18 now and we're going in for the first ultra sound on Monday. I've been having some pains in the sides of my tummy the last week or so and not been able to reach the midwife to ask about it. There has been stress at work and I have been doing some travelling so I hope that there's a natural and "safe" explanation but I'm still worried. [Frown]
Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Light, look up "round ligament pain in pregnancy." If that's what it is, totally benign and expected, and apt to kick in just as the baby's getting heavier. Do mention it to your midwife, etc. but it's most likely to be something totally innocuous.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the hospital today visiting, and, on the way to the lift, I met a nurse pushing a trolley on which was a perspex cot in which was an very, very new baby, fast asleep. He had a little hat on, and his bottom lip was thrust out*.
I thought of all of you on this thread. [Votive]

*He looked like he might have been related to Pyx_e.

[ 22. April 2006, 19:50: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Light I hope the pain isnt too bad. I guess I have had pain throughout and I have put it down to ligaments streching and baby pushing on scar tissue. In some pregnancy books it talks about them. I find a heat pack helps but then on of my friends said On your pregnant tummy? I just make sure it isn't too hot.
Do mention it to the midwife though as mentioned above, the thing is all these things can worry you. That in itself isn't good reassurance helps.
Amos, so tiny the baby sounds!!!! I can not wait. Was grumpy with a work colluge as he announced as a father he took his half hour baby around the hospital and SMOKED outside!!!! Yes smoked with the baby. I couldn't believe it.

Still quite unreasonably proud that at 28 weeks I am still in my own clothes... [Yipee]

--------------------

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Went shopping yesterday, didn't mean to but ended up in the baby section of the store and bought a heap of different sized grow suits in varrious sizes. I justified it in that they were 50% off and I had a futher voucher for 20% off. So exciting. Made me feel good. Now I am just looking for excuses not to do the house work, and running out fast.

It's lovely isn't it? And Daddy doesn't usually mind you buying stuff for baby (he does it a lot too!). Just a thought though - people will buy you quite a lot of clothes, which is fantastic. We hardly ended up buying anything at all, and it's still going on. In fact I don't think I'll need to buy Matthew anything for a while, thanks tot the generosity of others. Means that you can concentrate on getting other stuff sorted.

Glad to hear things are going ok. Our midwives were very much on the page of if it's a verginal delivery (have I spelt that right?) then that's fine. If it's a C section, that's ok too.

Providing you end up with a healthy baby at the end of it, who cares how it comes out. Matthew got stuck, and I would of happily gone down to the operating theatre to let them take him out, or done anything else for that matter, just to have my baby as I was through with pushing at that point.

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

Now 10 days past due, and booked to go into hospital tomorrow morning so they can try to induce labour.

I'm not particularly looking forward to that since the process sounds like a bit of a bore and they keep you in the ward for observation when I'd much rather be at home as long as possible - but needs must I suppose. I really just want all this over with now, and a healthy baby here I hope!

There's still this afternoon and tonight for the process to kick of naturally...so everybody cross your fingers for us [Smile]

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] and [Yipee] for you at the same time, Rat. Best wishes on a safe, speedy, and pain-free (it could happen, right? [Biased] ) delivery.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Rat. Hope Baby starts coming tonight. The policy where you are must be slightly different; here they don't try induction until you're 14 days overdue, unless there's some reason to believe that Baby is in distress (they give you a checkup on the due date and a week later).

Our girl was fashionably late. She arrived the day after we'd been to hospital for our 'one week overdue' appointment.

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Well wishes Rat!!! May all be perfect(well at least bearable) [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

Best wishes and hugs...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Rat, will be thinking of you.
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope it all goes well Rat. I assume you have a night of hot curries and wild sex planned for tonight?! [Biased]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Hope it all goes well Rat. I assume you have a night of hot curries and wild sex planned for tonight?! [Biased]

Friends of ours got 2 of their 4 started by curry + cider + sex. Not sure how wild, just ingeneous.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Best wishes on a safe, speedy, and pain-free (it could happen, right? [Biased] ) delivery.

Yep. Could. Did.
And it started by induction.

Hoping for the best for you, too, Rat and Ratling.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had the ultra sound yesterday and everything looked fine [Smile] Got some nice pictures too. Caid was so nervous when they were doing the measurements that I thought he might break down... I was calm from the moment they showed us that the heart was beating.

Suddenly I feel that I can be happy about this pregnancy and stop worrying so much. It feels so much better.

Here's to Rat, hoping everything goes well!

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat [Votive] (fingers crossed too!)

Light [Smile]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Light:
Suddenly I feel that I can be happy about this pregnancy and stop worrying so much. It feels so much better.

When something has gone wrong before it is so difficult not to worry. Long may your happiness continue.

Prayers for Rat, Mr Rat and the little one.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Light, I'm glad to hear that everything checked out ok. Continued [Votive] for a safe and healthy pregnancy.

I had my midwife appointment this morning (I'm going to tire of weekly appointments real quick), and everything is ticking along fine. Had a different midwife than usual (hooray! cuz I don't like the otherone), and she was really enjoyable to deal with. She actually explained things as she went along including telling me that since my urines have been clear and my hemoglobin looks good from my 34 week tests, no more blood will have to be taken - yay!

Then she gave advice that should make hubby happy. She said since I'm 37 weeks and the baby's heartbeat is strong, the baby can safely come at any point now, so I should be having lots and lots of sex, as this encourages the cervix to soften. Ahhh, well, I guess whatever makes the delivery easier ... [Biased]

[Votive] Continuing to send happy thoughts across Scotland to Rat.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stop wasting time posting... get back to her! [Biased] [Snigger]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoping & praying that Rat's had some 'movement' and things are going well there. [Votive]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

This is rather presumptious, but I have a request.

Why your time for delivery is close could you include someone within SoF in the list of people to contact when something happens. Perhaps I am too impatient, but I get worried if I don't hear news.

bb

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I can speak for both of us, but any news posted here will be posted by one of us. We'll try and do that as soon as possible after we're home, after phone calls to assorted relatives on both sides of the Pond. We don't consider that posting news like that is anyone's task but our own - we're not going to be sharing the pleasure of that task with anyone. If that leaves people impatiently waiting for news then tough.

If we have to spend a couple of days in hospital and don't have access from there, then we might ask my brother to post an update.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

I'm home again and happy to report that Mr Rat and I have been joined by ratling Andrew Mattheus, born on Wednesday 26th... the best new baby in the whole wide world.

The labour was pretty difficult - I won't upset the expectant mums by going into the gory details, but they are available on request [Biased] The hospital and midwives were absolutely excellent throughout, and hugely supportive after the birth. No NHS horror stories to report.

We're tired and happy to be home. Andrew is healthy and sleeping nearby. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes, prayers and happy thoughts.

--------------------

Jillyb
Shipmate
# 4610

- Posted      Profile for Jillyb   Email Jillyb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Many congrats to the rats and welcome to the world baby Andrew [Yipee]

--------------------
I don't do posh!

Posts: 1034 | From: Londinium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many, many congrats! [Yipee]

[ 28. April 2006, 15:08: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] [Yipee] Congrats [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

Wonderful news Rat! I was very happy to see your name on the Ship's frontpage. [Votive] and [Axe murder] to you and little Andrew and Mr Rat of course!
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Hooray!!!! A new Scottish shipmate in the making! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!! [Yipee]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Congratulations [Yipee]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations and many, many blessings to the Rat family! (And what a beautiful name!)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Rat and Mr Rat, and welcome to the world Andrew [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah! Praise God for healthy new baby Rat! [Yipee]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016