homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bizarre curtain-like thing is back on the door...

[Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Jesus for the first time!

He's always been having a rest when I've previously looked - how exciting!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's back in his box for the moment....how dull!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those constantly complaining about the artificial light--- well, it's not on now.

Pitch black except for a bit of glow what must be Jesus' nightlight.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's back on again, bright as ever. They really need to get incandescent lights in there. Or a filter on the camera lens.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The door's open! (The door to the next room, alas, not the door to His House.) Naturally, though, it's dark inside.

Spiffy, I'd just like to see something with a little more old-school Holy Ambiance. Or maybe a Virgin of Guadalupe nighlight.

Rossweisse // that's not so much to ask, surely...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Spiffy, I'd just like to see something with a little more old-school Holy Ambiance. Or maybe a Virgin of Guadalupe nighlight.

Rossweisse // that's not so much to ask, surely...

Well, here's hoping it's so in the new place. I'd be more than glad to undertake a pilgrimmage to the 'site and leave behind my genuine glow-in-the-dark rosary beads...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't find a Virgin of Guadalupe nightlight on the net very quickly, but maybe we could take up a little collection and send them this.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Ahh, Ruth -- you didn't page down! If you had, you would have found this!

But I agree that your discovery is Truly Special.

Meanwhile, what's that sort of shelf-thingie impinging upon the altar in the chapel? It looks a bit like something left over from Plan 9 from Outer Space. (I'm relatively certain that it is not.)

Rossweisse // planning to get a stunning VoG clock for the (very Low Church) rector's birthday...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Meanwhile, what's that sort of shelf-thingie impinging upon the altar in the chapel? It looks a bit like something left over from Plan 9 from Outer Space. (I'm relatively certain that it is not.)

*squints* Looks like a lectern to me-- according to the site, Br. John was interviewed live from the Webcam earlier tonight.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ahh, Ruth -- you didn't page down! If you had, you would have found this!

But I agree that your discovery is Truly Special.

A truly wonderful site! Religion Wholesale! And I love the random related products, for example:

I can see people loving the Jesus (or Mary) windchimes, but the Cat? And the rather unspecified "Religious Figurine"?
But the Last Supper in God's Hands is a must buy.
quote:

Rossweisse // planning to get a stunning VoG clock for the (very Low Church) rector's birthday...

Whatever it is, they've left it out overnight.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oo-Oo-Oo! I think I just got a double-monk sighting! Definitely the left shoulder and neck of one on the right, plus what surely was a left sleeve of someone standing at the lectern.

The veil is no longer even sitting folded on top of the tabernacle. Perhaps it was an Easter thing for them?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady Kranmer
Apprentice
# 9298

- Posted      Profile for Lady Kranmer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should put the Sacrament in a monstrance more often. I'd be more into the webcam if I could actually see the Sacrament.

It's one thing knowing his presence is inside the tabernacle when you're kneeling in front of it, but it is a stretch to be close to the Sacrament when it's in a tabernacle in Florida and you're seeing an image of the tabernacle via the internet. They should let us see the Sacrament itself.

If they need a spikey monstrance, I'd help them buy one. They always seem to be asking for money anyway.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've got a beautifully spikey monstrance, but I haven't seen it out recently. And they haven't moved the lectern thingy, and the announcement of the interview on the 17th is still up, and the veil still hasn't been replaced - and I'm sure it's always been there before, not just for Easter.

I'm getting a bit worried about them - perhaps they're spending every possible moment painting and decorating in their new monastery (take the video tour, it's wonderful!) and only have time to say their office and fall into bed exhausted when they come home?

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been collecting screen grabs. Last night they had the Mosdtrance out, but thte Tabernacle wasn't veiled as it usually is.

--------------------
Ann

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha! This is the same shot I grabbed and mentioned above.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
They've got a beautifully spikey monstrance, but I haven't seen it out recently. And they haven't moved the lectern thingy, and the announcement of the interview on the 17th is still up...I'm getting a bit worried about them...

Well, the lectern thingy (is that a gospel book atop it? or something else?) is still there, but they had the monstrance out this afternoon, and the altar candle lit.

Jesus is back in his box now, but the door to the next room is ajar, and there's a light on in there...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
I've been collecting screen grabs. Last night they had the Mosdtrance out, but thte Tabernacle wasn't veiled as it usually is.

screen grap from 19/05/05 - is that monk saluting or saying "sorry I can't hear you Lord"?
Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I made that gesture quite often this morning while at Adoration. It was because my daughter had earlier noticed a tick crawling up my cheek *shudder* all undetected by me and I was still suffering from the residual itchy/crawly sensations.

Not every gesture is liturgical.

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there only the one monk, then? All the screen shots seem to involve the same brother. Are none of the others allowed to do the housekeeping and butlering and so on around the tabernacle?

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
Is there only the one monk, then? All the screen shots seem to involve the same brother. Are none of the others allowed to do the housekeeping and butlering and so on around the tabernacle?

According to their Adoration Schedule there are three monks. The screen grabs have never shown more than two as far as I can remember - one who does most of the work and a burly one who just gets in the way of the webcam.

[Edited to add: I'm sure he's a good lad who worships his little socks off, just that I've only seen him when he's in the way.]

[ 23. May 2005, 11:14: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's abit like the parousia, really. *Yawn*. Or maybe les monastiques simply don't keep the same hours as we antipodeans. [Confused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
double again, soz - but
quote:
Be sure to watch Brother John being interviewed on Fox 13 News out of Tampa between 5:30 and 6:00 tonight about this chapel webcam! It may go national so look for Brother John on Fox News tonight May 17th and for the next couple of days on your local Fox channel.

whoa - should blow Fox 13's ratings through the ceiling? Buy shares now.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

the lectern has disappeared...

Rossweisse // <bump>

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Does anyone know what that fabric thing is that's visible when the inner door is open during the daytime?

I am STILL waiting for a monk sighting, with no success to date.

[Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

quote:
Does anyone know what that fabric thing is that's visible when the inner door is open during the daytime?

I am STILL waiting for a monk sighting, with no success to date.

[Paranoid]

I've had my best sightings of monks at about 10:30 - 11:00 in the evening British time which is 5:30 afternoon Florida time. On the other hand, if they've got something better to do, they don't turn up; He must get very lonely in there, waiting to be invited out to play.

--------------------
Ann

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ages now since I've seen even the monstrance - I think they must be labouring night and day on the new monastery!

I sent them a small donation a little while ago and got a nice thank you from Brother John - and when I e-mailed back to wish them well when they moved in I got another back from Brother Craig asking if anyone could donate flower seeds suitable for planting in Florida for the new monastery garden; I'm not sure what I could find in the soggy British Midlands that would be suitable, but if anyone nearer has anything suitable...

Ann

Curious
# 94

The burly monk is in the way of the webcam at the moment.

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
It's ages now since I've seen even the monstrance - I think they must be labouring night and day on the new monastery! ...

It was on the altar this afternoon, when I was able to check quickly, looking nicely spikey.

I'm not sure about flowers in Florida. In my experience, the thing that grows best there is mold.

Rossweisse // who actually prefers the Midwest

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't looked at this for ages... all the fun I've been missing!

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm still waiting for a monk sighting of my very own.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

And it's Sunday afternoon, but the monstrance has not been out in the last three hours! Poor Jesus, shut up in his house...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

This is all very strange - I haven't seen the monstrance in weeks, and now it's out at what I think is three in the morning in Florida. Monks, what's going on?
berenike
Shipmate
# 9780

- Posted      Profile for berenike   Author's homepage   Email berenike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's quite common for a tabernacle to have a curtain across the inside of the door. It's just a curtain. That is what it is.

--------------------
If you want to be a nice old lady, you have to start now.

Posts: 70 | From: Jaypeetooland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed! He's out of the box - it's the first time I've seen Him thus other than in screen grabs. Maybe the monks have gone on holiday and left Him out to air?

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.S. (missed edit window) Have 'we' sponsored the website yet, seeing as we're probably responsible for a fair chunk of their hits? Anyone care to join me and make a Ship-month?

--------------------

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's out of the box, but he isn't looking into the camera. Sad. [Frown]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

He's still out. Maybe He's making up His hours.

--------------------
Ann

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Not only is he still out, the artificial light's still on, even though it's late morning. Perhaps the monks have been kidnapped?
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last I have seen the famed spiky monstrance !
It`s very...spiky. [Big Grin]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

And He's still out - has He forgotten His key?

--------------------
Ann

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
And He's still out - has He forgotten His key?

[Big Grin] That's the problem with being stuck in a monstrance that doesn't have pockets.

Deffo back in atm. Perhaps the game of musical statues has morphed into hide and seek.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
This is all very strange - I haven't seen the monstrance in weeks, and now it's out at what I think is three in the morning in Florida. Monks, what's going on?

I noticed that too, Margaret. I looked at my Ordo Kalendar, but I couldn't figure it out -- there's nothing but Feria on the 12th, and on the 13th would they really have it out for Silas, Companion of Paul and Martyr? Or do the RCs have something else going on those days?

Rossweisse // confuso io son

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

And now Jesus has really got a problem - they seem to have taken the altar away, so if he comes out now he won't have anywhere to sit.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Are the Brothers moving or something?

Or are they just moving furniture?

--------------------

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Perhaps they're moving into their new building this weekend?
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I just noticed that too, and rushed to post -- but you beat me to it!

This strikes me as a rather minimalist approach, frankly.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

That's it. Just a cardboard cut-out until some time next month.

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are currently moving to our new monastery. The above picture is a still capture of the chapel. We hope to have the webcam live once again hopefully sometime in early August. Thank you for your patience. The Monks

From their website.

The message must be fairly recent? - And don't I just love that blunt sign-off: "The Monks". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Yes, I first saw it this morning when I clicked on to the website to see if Jesus was about. I did suspect something was about to happen the other day when the altar disappeared - I suppose The Monks are busy packing and loading things into vans and unloading them at the other end and wondering where they put the kettle and various vital bits of tat.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016