homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think Transfig are telling us porky pies and are not live at all? It all sounds very Advent like to me [Disappointed]

But to Ian Climacus goes:

[Overused] [Overused]

for being the first to spot the monks back online.

(I'd have given you a third [Overused] except you did not get to see Jesus first, so there).

Now maybe Ancient Mariner should roll in here to take pledges as to just when Jesus will return (but only on webcam - the other would be kinda freaky!) Did he not say (he did say, I tell you, he did): "A little while and ye shall see me and again a little while and ye shall see me not".

But just like our Blessed Lady herself in the humble home of Nazareth the monks are getting his house just so before they bring him back. Ah, are they not a true community of Marthas for they tell us:

quote:
Above is a live 1-minute capture of the chapel at our new monastery. The interior is still under construction. Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament will not be in the tabernacle until construction is finished. Thank you for your patience. The Monks

Are they not an example to us all?

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm only getting strange little bits of the chapel picture -- like the upper 1/8 of it. And I can't get the Transfiguration thing at all. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it qualifies as Mystery.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'm only getting strange little bits of the chapel picture -- like the upper 1/8 of it. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it qualifies as Mystery.

Nah... we're looking through the letterbox.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, drat. I was hoping for a more mystical explanation.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd indeed. It was the complete picture when I first looked. Now I only see as Rossweisse has described. [Frown]

[And thanks Mater et Magistra for the white covering explanation: they are doing a lot of work at Transfiguration!]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Perhaps only the True Believers get to see the Big Picture now.

How very disappointing.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You shall only be able to see Jesus if you have donated for the new monastery, perhaps? [Eek!]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh hallelujah, it's been revealed to me at last!

When I had a look first thing this morning all that was there was the familiar still from the old chapel, despite the caption that claimed it was a view of the new one. But when I came back after breakfast I found on my screen a grainy still of what looked like rather a bathtub behind bars. Praise the Lord! (And seriously, monks, good luck getting the final work done.)

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Sanctuary Camera 1 there were just a bunch of kids waving at the camera (no worries, it's in-between masses).

I waved back. Think they saw me?

(And does that count as passing the peace?)

[ 11. September 2005, 15:19: Message edited by: Spiffy da Wonder Sheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, folks: Question time (and maybe I'm just daft):

How does the chapel inside really look?

• I think I can make out a couple of pews in the front. (That'll be the the three horizontal brown lines at the bottom of the image.)
  • The vertical bars, as mentioned by some people, seem to be there indeed. (See pic top left or here, bottom right ) [Frown]
  • According to this plan on the main page, the altar its set back somewhat behind this silly (sorry...) screen.

Can anyone guess the distance between the screen and the altar? I looks like a whole lot on the webcam, but then on the plan I really am not sure. [Confused]

The also plan says there must be a door in the centre, which would be just where the altar is, but I don't think there is one - or perhaps left of the altar?

And when you watch the video tour, it seems that they've indeed changed the plans, and the door to the monks' part of the monastery is in fact on the left. Hm. Confusing.

Any help is appreciated. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were some people having a look-see yesterday. The screen grabs make the layout a bit clearer.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, the monk's new digs are HUGE!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hey - great, Ann! You're at it again. Thanks. Hooray! [Big Grin]

[ETA: Though I wish the monks would zoom in once they're installed. I think Jesus deserves to be bigger. [Razz] ]

[ 12. September 2005, 03:04: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Well, they may CLAIM that it's
quote:
...a live 1-minute capture of the chapel...
but it looks like a still shot to ME.

Call me a doubting Thomasina, but I want to see a monk walking around in there before I believe it's a real cam shot.

Ross // left hanging for far too long by the monks

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they had a close up of the altar earlier and now they've zoomed back out, I can see that the oddness at the top is a ceiling fan. I did get some visitors a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure if the monks were showing them round or not - the picture is dark and the only clearish figure is definitely female. Having people looking at the altar gave a far better impression of the chapel than the gloomy empty shots. (Screen shots here, with the close up.)

--------------------
Ann

Ann

Curious
# 94

I got a monk! [Yipee]

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
I got a monk! [Yipee]

Where are you going to put it?

Anyway, thank you for your shots!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

When I was a kid, my grandparents (I think both sets) had monk salt and pepper shakers. The question is which would be the skinny monk and which the burly one?

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

We now seem to have a really good view of a ceiling fan.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Latest news (at least as far as I'm concerned): The zoomed-in pic of the altar is now on again, like in one of Ann's screenshots.

Guess they're experimenting.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
...Guess they're experimenting.

Well, I for one am past ready for them to get it RIGHT! The time for patience is past.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

I think they close up on the altar during the (their) night and pull back for the whole chapel during the day. Surely though, if they're Monks of Adoration, they should be concentrating on getting a Jesus to adore before anything else.

--------------------
Ann

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The close-up of the altar, which is currently bathed in a rather eerie light, reminds me of a stone coffin. I keep recalling to mind that first Easter Sunday and wondering if it will be smashed open and an angel will announce, "He is risen!"

Then we might get to see Jesus!

[ 22. September 2005, 04:35: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

So far I almost prefer the old suburban tract house bedroom-as-chapel, bad lighting and all. At least you had a CHANCE of catching a monk on camera!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The altar's looking much better lit now - and the familiar Sacred Heart picture is hanging above it! Is Jesus going to move in soon, I wonder?
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It says on the site that they are not putting the tabernacle in the new chapel until construction is finished.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

I think the Tabernacle is there - it's an integral part of the back wall of the Chapel where they've hung the hankie, it just won't have Jesus in until He's good and ready.

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

And of course there are now also chairs or pews for the monks, in 'their', front part of the chapel.

And didn't they put up some white curtains to the very left and right of their screen?

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
The altar's looking much better lit now - and the familiar Sacred Heart picture is hanging above it! Is Jesus going to move in soon, I wonder?

Clearly, progress IS being made. (And about time.)

Does the place have to be officially inspected by the public works department before Jesus is allowed to take up residence?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine it's more a matter of waiting until the construction workers aren't wandering around any longer, just in case they might not observe the proper reverant attitude in the presence of the Real Presence.

To be honest, I suspect Jesus would enjoy hanging out with the construction guys. Perhaps I should e-mail the monks and point this out? I mean, they can't be any worse than all those tax collectors and prostitutes and such.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Furthermore, Jesus is said to have trained as a carpenter. Whether or not he was a member of the union, I feel certain they'd have things to talk about.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe non-union carpenters aren't allowed on the building site.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Maybe non-union carpenters aren't allowed on the building site.

I fear that this is a distinct possibility.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do the monks know about their fan club here?
[Angel]

Dear Monks if you are reading,

I think you are really cool. I would seriously consider becoming one if it didn't mean I would have to give up all the material possessions I plan to acquire.

I hope you are good to go soon, 'cos I like taking a peek at where Jesus is every now and again.

Fanks,
Coot.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe a new order of monks who don't mind lots of glorious possessions could be started.

You know, Stuff for Jesus, nice stuff.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Not all orders demand poverty.

My husband's cousins (uncle and nephew) are Roman Catholic priests, in the Redemptorist order. There's no ban on being rich, and these guys are quite comfortably situated. Maybe they could buy into this outfit.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Oh, I despair, I really do. It's the middle of the afternoon in Florida and the chapel is STILL shrouded in Stygian darkness.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Oh miracle, oh wonder - they give us a new zoomed picture with a slightly different angle - now it's halfway up, closer to the monks' part (what do you call that secluded area anyway...? [Confused] ), but still a bit of the commoners' ground is visible.

Erm, frankly not a very nice view. [Disappointed] [brick wall]

[ 30. September 2005, 12:11: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Oh, no... I have great fear...

WHAT is that thing hanging over the tabernacle? It looks from here like a velvet painting!

Quick! Someone get them a nice icon!

--------------------

Mater et Magistra
Shipmate
# 9966

- Posted      Profile for Mater et Magistra   Email Mater et Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its the Sacred Heart picture that they usually have up. Here's a close up of it on their website.

Personally I find it a bit schmaltzy. Brothers, if you are reading this, how about this image of the Sacred Heart, or perhaps this one?

Though I suppose we should give thanks that its just a schmaltzy Sacred Heart painting - it could have been a felt banner. [Projectile]

Oh, one more thing, please zoom the camera in! Thank you! [Smile]

Posts: 110 | From: Northeastern U.S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
Oh, I despair, I really do. It's the middle of the afternoon in Florida and the chapel is STILL shrouded in Stygian darkness.

I despair, too. Here I've been off for a week being Frantically Busy, and they STILL don't have the confounded thing set up properly!

It's early October. The sked said early August. Can we expect it before early 2006? Get WITH it, gentlemen!

[Mad]

(MetM, I prefer the icon...)

[edited to avoid the Dreaded Double Post]

[ 05. October 2005, 20:10: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

Something's happening NOW! (I'll post grabs)

--------------------
Ann

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh ooh ooh - I see non-monk people! Are they stealing Jesus, or putting him back, or just dusting?

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Shockingly awful double-post)

One of them is a monk, or a layman in a dress. I don't know if that is significant.

--------------------

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps they are some of the Magi, come to adore him but suffering from long transport delays.

Do they look lke Zoroastrians?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

I'm running out of names to call the screen grabs.

--------------------
Ann

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

I've got "man in dress" and "people nicking Jesus", so I'll go on to numbers soon.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

They were looking very worried about that left side of the altar. I think they've gone now; time to put the grabs in a web page - I'll post the address soon.

--------------------
Ann

Ann

Curious
# 94

A Flurry of Activity

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Could it be some kind of liturgical dance to invite Jesus back to his (admittedly rather small) dwelling? Or a dance of penitence for putting him there? [Confused]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016