homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They vested the altar! YAY!

That has to be a good sign, right?

(oh, for the love of everything that's good and holy... I can't access the cam from my work! Grrr...)

[ 06. October 2005, 17:37: Message edited by: Spiffy da Wonder Sheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
A Flurry of Activity

That's just the normal flurry of activity needed to get a bit of linen hanging evenly with respect to all sides of an altar. Been there, done that.

And once you've been responsible for it, you notice it, which becomes a penitential thing. "Oh God, forgive me for thinking about the fact that the altar linens weren't evenly adjusted instead of paying attention to the Eucharistic prayers". [Smile]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A Flurry of Activity

Wow, Ann! (That's more like it.) Brava on the screen grabs!

But IS one of them a woman?

[edited to ask pertinent question.)

[ 06. October 2005, 23:51: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
But IS one of them a woman?

Yes. Perhaps they have an altar guild, or the woman seen of late is one who might have made the altar cloth. Or a friend or associate. Or sibling!
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is incumbent upon them to make certain that the "one-minute" loop always has something entertaining on it. Right now it's terribly static. This simply will not work in our visual age.

A conga line would be good.

Other thoughts?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Procession (complete with the Most Blessed Sacrament, ombrellino, flower girls et al)? That would keep them busy (and us edified) until the Tabernacle is ready to receive the said MBS.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
A Procession (complete with the Most Blessed Sacrament, ombrellino, flower girls et al)? That would keep them busy (and us edified) until the Tabernacle is ready to receive the said MBS.....

Oh, good idea, BF! (I'm thinking the big "Te deum" scene from Tosca here....)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not getting any image at the moment.

Anyone else? - It also seems the the 'open chapel window only' command opens to a flash picture which wasn't there before. Are they trying out something new? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oooh! They've changed the angle! It's now focused down on the altar.

This means that the tacky portrait of the Sacred Heart is somewhat obscured in the shadows. It's a Good Thing.

Now if they'd just make it real time...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be focussed down on the altar overnight and up until the sleepy-heads get moving at the crack of "Oh my, is that the time?" It also seems to be table-clothless at that time - but I haven't seen a repeat of the palaver of "Getting the linens straight to the satisfaction of everyone concerned" and there seems to be something hanging over the edge during the daytime.

Do you think they've been cheating and just transmitting a still?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I am utterly CERTAIN that they're been cheating!

This is going to add up to absolute millions of years in Purgatory, boys!

[Mad]

[ 12. October 2005, 21:34: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in after some days away, I now see that there are the two sanctuary lamps in place (no way to tell if they are lit or not under the current viewing conditions). And when and where did that giant black stripe around the top of the altar pedestal come from?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that dark stripe is just a shadow -- at least I hope so!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

If it were a shadow, it would have gradations of black to gray. Notice how it cleanly intersects the shadows cast by the left and right overhangs of the altar top.

[ 14. October 2005, 23:17: Message edited by: jlg ]

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was to give up on these monks, could anyone blame me?

Distressed of Sydney.

[ 19. October 2005, 04:50: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, to my weary, bleary eyes it looks like there's some sort of cloth on the altar and a velvet rope ready to keep the peons out of the altar area.

But, no Jesus. Sirs, we would see Jesus!

(And, having dealt with the excruciating process of having a house built, I know that there are often unforseeable delays. Like Hurricane Wilma.)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The picture.......cannot be shown, because it contains errors' is all I can see at the moment.

Whatever have they done.......? [Ultra confused]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The monks are in error?!

I don't believe it.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either they've painted the webcam lens grey, or Java is playing up.

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. I'm sorry for my harsh words Monks.

Please restore to us the glorious vision of your chapel -- and, if it's not too much trouble, Jesus as well.

With tears and in repentance,
Sorrowful of Sydney.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The monks are in error?!

I don't believe it.

I do. [Razz]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh ye of little faith. [Disappointed] [Big Grin]
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Let us remember that the monks are in Florida, which right now is in the path of a big ol' hurricane and they may have been evacuated. [Votive]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Oh ye of little faith.

Busted.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Conte Oberto
Apprentice
# 9004

- Posted      Profile for Conte Oberto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
Let us remember that the monks are in Florida, which right now is in the path of a big ol' hurricane and they may have been evacuated. [Votive]

But they promised it in AUGUST.

It is now late OCTOBER.

[Mad]

--------------------
Be prepared.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Conte Oberto:

It is now late OCTOBER.

Yes, this is a tad bit late even by normal contractor standards.

Is it time to invoke St. Joseph?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Conte Oberto
Apprentice
# 9004

- Posted      Profile for Conte Oberto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Joseph...oh you mean as patron saint of carpenters?

--------------------
Be prepared.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Exactamundo. (As opposed to his role as the patron saint of Realtors...)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Conte Oberto:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:

It is now late OCTOBER.

[Mad]

To paraphrase my great-grandfather (a wise and holy man)

Stuff happens.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still can't see a picture. Hm... What are they trying to hide? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The picture's back now - but it looks surprisingly dark and doomladen for an afternoon shot. Are they trying for the Gothic look?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
The picture's back now - but it looks surprisingly dark and doomladen for an afternoon shot. Are they trying for the Gothic look?

Hallowe'en IS on its way.

[Devil] <--- my costume

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

They're back to the old pulled-away shot, behind the reredos (or whatever that thing is supposed to be).

Dear monks: We have been patient for many moons. WHEN are you going to get this thing WORKING PROPERLY again?

The lack of a functional BSW is clearly drawing some minds into unspiritual channels. Do you want that on your collective conscience? I should hope not.

So fix it. Now. Please. Thank you.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I think it is incumbent upon them to make certain that the "one-minute" loop always has something entertaining on it. Right now it's terribly static. This simply will not work in our visual age.

A conga line would be good.

Other thoughts?

A spider walking across the camera?

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've taken the top off the altar.

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

A nekkid altar? Oi!

It does look better, though.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

It looks like they're going to put something inside the altar.
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

A relic perhaps?

Or perhaps the monstrance will fall into and rise out of the altar at certain times? [Devil]

[ 06. November 2005, 23:03: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Present RC practice as I know it is that the relic is 'entombed' in a small niche on the top of the altar, centered at the edge where the priest will be consecrating the elements of the mass.

Perhaps the altar top was mistakenly made without provision for the relic and has had to be returned for further work.

If they have a relic big enough to require entombing in the altar base, they're a much more influential group than meets the eye. [Eek!]

This sort of problem with the altar could also explain the lack of activity.

On the other hand, I'm still bothered by the presence of the sanctuary candles since the webcam shot as I receive it makes it impossible to see if either of them is lit. Combined with the same and blurry long-shot image of the tabernacle (is the door open or closed?), there is really no way to know about the status of the Real Presence at any given time. Which does make the screen shot a matter of curiosity and nothing else.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it only me, or does the thing in the top of the altar look like a small sewing machine to anyone else? I know the monastery is dedicated to St Joseph the Worker, but this seems to be taking things a bit far.
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
looks like a bauhaus one-slice toaster on my screenview

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either I don't know how to do a search or this hasn't been posted yet:

Pink Sisters' Adoration Webcam

OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

They're asking (in big red letters) to,
quote:
PLEASE REMEMBER US IN YOUR CHRISTMAS CONTRIBUTIONS
SEE DONATION INFORMATION ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

If we sent them a picture of a five pound note, do you think they'd get the hint and give us more than just a picture of the new chapel?

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If we sent them a picture of a five pound note, do you think they'd get the hint and give us more than just a picture of the new chapel?

I wish they'd start Webcasting their divine offices again. I miss their trancelike tone of voice. (Seriously...not making fun here.)

[Votive]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stil very dark. It looks as if we are seeing it through the bars of a prison cell.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

A clue to the mysterious non-appearance of Jesus at last? I've just had a look at the website (out of mere habit, I'd given up hope of seeing anything happening) and found this:
quote:
Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament will not be in the tabernacle until construction is finished and we are waiting for our Altar to be repaired.
I wonder what happened to the altar? [Eek!]
Ann

Curious
# 94

quote:
A clue to the mysterious non-appearance of Jesus at last? I've just had a look at the website (out of mere habit, I'd given up hope of seeing anything happening) and found this:
quote:
Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament will not be in the tabernacle until construction is finished and we are waiting for our Altar to be repaired.
I wonder what happened to the altar? [Eek!]
I don't know, but about a month ago, about a month after they'd put the tablecloth on, the whole top vanished. It can't have been that heavy a cloth, surely?

--------------------
Ann

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's a cloak of invisibility.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
quote:
I wonder what happened to the altar?
These guys are worse than Bill the Builder, the chap who's been doing my screened-in-porch ("Ah, yeah, this is about a three, four-day job") for the last few months -- a couple of hours at a time.

Dear Santa: I have been a good girl. My Christmas wish is that the monks will get off their butts and get the BSW fully functional by the Feast of the Nativity. Love, Ross.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016