homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The home page asks:
quote:
Special Prayer Request: For the repose of the soul of Brother Craig's father Edward Driscoll and Brother John's mother Mary Raymond.
Holding both families in the light. [Votive]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for the bereaved brothers.

[Votive]

And yet now the lights are back on.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that a Monastery dedicated to St Joseph the Worker would have been dedicated yesterday - seeing as how the Feast Day was on Sunday, the Feast was translated to Monday!

Alas, perhaps their building program goes slowly!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think The Munx read this thread? (If so: I think you guys are really great and I pray that you get some vocations)

[Votive] Br Craig's father, Br John's mother. Rest Eternal grant unto them O Lord, and may Light Perpetual shine upon them.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] the bereaved brothers in the community

the lights are back on in the chapel today

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the last Sunday in March.

Is the Bishop coming this month?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's like some eccliastical version of 'Waiting for Godot'.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Except without the silly hats and the dancing.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....until the Bishop arrives, that is (well, the funny hat, at least).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There might even be dancing, a la The Infamous Gospel Procession at St. Nick's.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Oh, dear. You're absolutely right.

[Eek!]

The horror!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To quote Buffy, "This guy makes Godot look punctual."

(I sure hope everything's okay with the monks' temporal families)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something's happening - there's a crucifix on the altar and things around the edge (sorry not well up on the right names for everything).

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those things look like candles.

Whee! I don't think I've ever seen it with the lights cranked up that high!

Maybe? Possibly?

And hey, when Sr. Bishop shows up, how many of us are going to schedule time to watch the show?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I don't remember the details of consecrating an altar, I do think it involves oil and fire on the four corners (as well as perhaps over the relic?), so the presence of the candles on the corners of the altar perhaps indicate either preparation for the consecration and dedication or that we missed the big event.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The webcam page says:

"The Chapel was blessed on 3/27/06. Jesus is now live online!"

Can we have missed it? Is OLASJC even now Present?

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sneaky bishop! So where's Jesus?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Waiting for God(ot)'......hmm......I wonder if there's any significance in the fact that this year sees the centenary of Sam Beckett's birth......

......he could easily have written many of the posts on this thread.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Well, Margaret, the tagline (which has, admittedly, offered us outright lies for most of the past -- how many? -- months) did say that Jesus was once again live online.

However, he seems to be sulking in his trailor; I didn't see any sign of him.

Ross // hoping it's for real

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Granted it's hard to tell with the lighting, and I haven't been keeping close watch, but there does seem to be a lit sanctuary lamp at the far left (next to the door).

The tabernacle seems to be stuck in the wall directly under the Jesus painting. Or perhaps that is an alcove which will be the future resting place (with the unlit lamp to the right of it?) and Jesus is residing in something involved with the dark wood table under the lamp next to the door op cit for the duration?

Details aside, I suspect He's back in residence.

I also suspect the monks are much more gratified by His Presence than any of us chatty and irreverent lurkers.

Deo gratias.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I do think they might have invited us; I gather they know of our interest. I don't suppose anyone captured any of the blessing from the webcam?

Ross // slightly wistful

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Panis angelicus fit panem hominem!

Deo gratias!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sort of wish Jesus had a prettier room to stay in than one walled with unpainted, concrete bricks. The altar is elegant, however.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Jesus is coming out to play!

--------------------
Ann

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

There are some rather cool shadows going on right now.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dramatic artsy action at last, dear Spiffy! [Cool]

What will they offer next? A spiritual light show? The Moonlight Dance of the Lonely Monks? Or will they project commercials on the back wall?

Aaaah, people could send a prayerful text message and it'll show up behind Our Playful Lord?

Or ... will they let Christo (sic!) wrap and unwrap the altar?

Stay tuned, folks! The time of waiting's over! It's Monk-y Business now! Yay! [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope they start webcasting their daily office again. I miss their ethereal chanty recitation style. [Votive]
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
What will they offer next? A spiritual light show? The Moonlight Dance of the Lonely Monks? Or will they project commercials on the back wall?

I'd like to see a monk make a bunny on the wall with hand shadows.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Aaaah, people could send a prayerful text message and it'll show up behind Our Playful Lord?

It's been done, Wes m'dear.

quote:
Post an online prayer request and ask for intercessory prayer. Prayer requests are displayed at this Web site and on a large, scrolling screen next to St. Anthony’s relic at the National Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua in Cincinnati, Ohio.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oi! How dare they! [Eek!]

Well, then what about the monks doing the prayer requests in sign language, as penitence? (e.g. for making as wait such a long time)

With the occasional bunny hand shadow as transition?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found this thread this evening. Connected to the BSW and it seemed a very gloomy place with low artificial light even though it was mid/late afternoon in Florida. Nothing was happening even at what I thought was the adoration time. The conclusions I reached were:

1) I had not subscribed to the brick fund so they put me on a still shot. (Terrible thought)
2) They had given up things for Lent.
3) I'm the lowest of the low, at least in terms of church liturgy, so am not permitted to see these high church activities.

I then worked out that with British Summer Time I was an hour out in my reckoning.

My connection to the site went down, and when I eventually reconnected the cross at the front middle of the altar had been replaced by what I think was the monstrance in the centre of the altar. (I'm not into these things so I'm not sure what it was).

Then, glory be, a monk appeared, doing something with the monstrance. The next shot showed a bare table except for the items at each corner, and then the monk reappeared with his hand in the box on the breeze blocks. After that nothing.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Wow, redoubt, you actually caught a monk in the act of reposing the Blessed Sacrament! There are dedicated BSW afficiandos here who have yet to catch a monk in action.
Ann

Curious
# 94

For those who want to know what they've been missing, I've got a few screen grabs.

--------------------
Ann

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for those screen grabs Ann. I do look from time to time but I have never seen anyone there. I was glad to see you pics.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Ann, thanks for reposting that link, I'd forgotten how tiny the old chapel was!

Golly, I really am kind of hoping that Sister gets that internship in Florida, and that I can go visit her (and, you know, since I'm in the area, swing by the monk's place!)

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

Thanks to all who joined the Ship Cafe Exposition party Thursday night.

Great stuff. [Big Grin]

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see you're envious jig! I did get some screen grabs of the action for the 30th March which I'll gladly put a link to for all to see. Unfortunately I havn't a clue how to do it. Assistance required please.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Not envious, redoubt, since I caught a monk in action way back in Dec 2004 (page 1 of this thread). But not all of us have been blessed with an actual real-time sighting, so I was welcoming you to the club. [Big Grin]

(PS: I'm jlg, not jig. It's my initials. ).

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
For those who want to know what they've been missing, I've got a few screen grabs.

Oh, thank you, Ann! I am SO relieved that they're finally letting Jesus out from time to time.

(And so envious of those who have captured monks...)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew it. A chap goes away on his first decent holiday for yonks and misses the Second Coming. TSK. [Roll Eyes]
Still, at least He's there now. I trust the Bruvs are pleased.

Corpus

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

Oh, thank you, Ann! I am SO relieved that they're finally letting Jesus out from time to time.

(And so envious of those who have captured monks...)

Ross

Captured monks! I'll have you know I've captured Our Lo ... umm, perhaps not.

Considering how long it took the monks to get Him into His box, do you think the monks insisted on Him giving His parole before they let Him out?

--------------------
Ann

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Perhaps if we stopped capturing their monks, their community would grow a bit faster?

[Two face]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Perhaps if we stopped capturing their monks, their community would grow a bit faster?

It's strictly catch and release, Jennifer.

[Two face]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

With all due respect, Ross, the good brothers might not see it that way.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I don't believe that a single monk has been taken into even temporary captivity!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

The monks have posted the Blessing of their chapel on their Monkcam page. Just a shame no-one could MW it.

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'd have given a lot for the opportunity.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I right in presuming that there is no natural light in the new venue?

[Frown]

PS Perverse and foolish oft I strayed but, after a period of backsliding, I have returned to the webcam fold

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Praise Jay-zuss, Ancient Mariner!

(I think you're right about the light, or lack thereof.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

Things have definitely been going downhill since the monks got their new pad. They've left all the kit in the chapel and it's Holy Saturday - even in Florida.

--------------------
Ann

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016