homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
...If Anglicans had the sacred sacrament...

"If"?

Rossweisse // who doesn't care for kitchen-table style altars

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
...Narrator: The prisoner of the Vatican

Cut to shot of monastery surrounded by armed guards. Cut to shot of tabernacle. Inside a muffled voice can be heard.

Our Lord (for it is He): Help! Help !

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Rossweisse // (I want a part, too!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

You could carry Him off on your flying horse. . .

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
cocktailgirl

mixer of the drinks
# 8684

- Posted      Profile for cocktailgirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Callan: The map of the monastery is kept in a safe in Cardinal Ratzinger’s apartment.
Narrator: Safecracking expert, Cocktailgirl.
Cut to shot of Cocktailgirl, in a black jumpsuit with clerical collar climbing over the balcony of Ratzinger’s apartment at night.

[Killing me]

A black jumpsuit? [Hot and Hormonal] I would of course wear black, but really Callan, you musn't overtax your imagination like that. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 841 | From: in hac lacrimarum valle, propping up the bar | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan: bravo.

I have obsessively checked the MBS webcam and never seen more than the tabernacle. Does Jesus ever come out?

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HT - it's obviously just luck. I clicked on the webcam site a few minutes ago and a monstrance was on the altar though largely obscured by a monk's shoulder. On the change, a monk was behind the altar and appeared to be reaching for the monstrance. I then read the thread. Having just gone back, the monstrance is gone and the tabernacle door (formerly open) is now closed.

Try again later!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
...Narrator: The prisoner of the Vatican

Cut to shot of monastery surrounded by armed guards. Cut to shot of tabernacle. Inside a muffled voice can be heard.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I've just seen that! Wasn't it magnificent! Well done Callan... although making an IJ remake less horrific than Hollywood managed can't be that hard.

Oh, and yes LD. If the MBS were exposed during the recessional, reversing out would be necessary. Which is probably why It's always put safely away first.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gremlin and I have a theory that the monks have competitions to see who can complete an aspect of their duties in less than 59 seconds.

I can see a huge chart on the wall to the left, where the monks are given black marks if they are seen on camera. Rather surprising it is Brother Gorgio (83 years old) who holds the record for "fastest removal of our Lord".

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
Originally posted by cocktailgirl:
Maybe I'll get one of those WWJD bracelets after all...

Obviously he drinks Bombay Sapphire. [Razz]

Natch - the bottle puts Him in mind of of His holy Mother.
The BVM looks like Queen Victoria?
God forbid! (As I'm sure he did...)

I was thinking of the bottle's hue.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Personally, I hate this kind of set-up, because (assuming, as is most likely, the celebrations are "over-the-counter") the celebrant has his back to the SS until he has confected Our Lord on the altar.

Is this an Anlgican fetish?
No, Ley Druid - nor yet is it an Anglican one (one cheap shot deserves another). You must be thinking of "north-ending" or good-humouredness or impeccable sang-froid, or some such delightful eccentricity.
quote:
If Anglicans had the sacred sacrament*, would they walk backwards during the recessional, so as to avoid the liturgical insensitivity of having their backs to Our Lord?

Silly boy! Proximity and attitude are all. There would be the world of difference between standing at the farther end of Holyrood Palace's lawn with the Monarch some yards away in congress with others (during one of HMQ's al fresco bashes), and turning my back right in front of her, obscuring her from the sight of all subjects there present, and chatting to them about her. A fortiori, the immediate proximity of Our Lord in the Sacred Species ought to command the maximum reverence consistent with dignity and reasonable practicality.

Though there may be a little madness in this liturgical tic of mine, yet there's some good Catholic method in't.

*[A deft touch here, although "Had Anglicans the", etc. (and "sacred sacrament" is such a sloppy translation of "sanctissimum sacramentum") would be so much more elegant.]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Callan: bravo.

Ditto.

[Sorry for triple post - terribly bad form.]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tritto

quote:

The Italian Mission Job

[Yipee]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There would be the world of difference between standing at the farther end of Holyrood Palace's lawn with the Monarch some yards away in congress with others (during one of HMQ's al fresco bashes), and turning my back right in front of her, obscuring her from the sight of all subjects there present, and chatting to them about her.

Presumably if the Lord Chancellor can turn his back on the Sov when standing directly in front of her, whilst she's seated on her throne, no less, you would be safe to do so at a garden party...
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Chancellor? Surely you mean "Secretary of State for Constitution Affairs"? I don't think anybody should be too concerned to emulate such a person.

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

Indeed, Master Ordinaire. Shockingly rude "modernisation" of Derry I's, this turning one's back in the face of the Lord's Anointed - whilst she's formally exercising her Sovereignty at that!

Ironically enough, I think Lord Former-Flatmate has reintroduced the retrograde descent from the steps of the throne - he'll be the last to have the opportunity, I suppose.

--------------------

dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan, bravo! Encore!

J [Big Grin]

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've visited the link on several occasions now, and have seen nothing 'move' (although the door in the background was once enticingly ajar).

Has anyone worked out whether they have a specific time (or times) for Exposition of the MBS? According to the testimonials elsewhere on the site, seeing It would give my spiritual life no end of a boost...........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PG Trailer for 15 film.

Narrator: The prisoner of the Vatican

Cut to a shot of an office in Whitehall. A man sits behind a desk. Another sits in front.
Narrator: Hooker’s Trick, a man with a vision.
Hooker’s Trick: I want you to get Jesus out of there.
Narrator: Callan, a man with a plan.
Callan: Why me?
HT: Because you’re expendable! Put together a team. You’ve got twenty-eight days.

Cut to shot of Callan briefing his team.

Callan: We need small arms.
Narrator: Marine Colonel Mark T. Punk.
Cut to shot of Mark the Punk, re-assembling an AK-47 blindfolded.

Callan: The map of the monastery is kept in a safe in Cardinal Ratzinger’s apartment.
Narrator: Safecracking expert, Cocktailgirl.
Cut to shot of Cocktailgirl, in a black jumpsuit with clerical collar climbing over the balcony of Ratzinger’s apartment at night.

Callan: We need to hack into their security systems.
Narrator: Chorister, computer wizard.
Cut to shot of Chorister at her computer, her fingers flying over the keyboard.

Callan: Have you got the humeral veil?
Narrator: Chesterbelloc, Tat expert
Cut to shot of Chesterbelloc walking out of Gamarelli’s with a package under his arm.

Callan: Nitroglycerine.
Narrator: Ken, explosives expert.
Cut to shot of Ken fiddling with a detonator whilst the team watches anxiously.
Callan: Now remember…
Ken: (Michael Caine voice) I’m only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

Narrator: The Italian Mission Job. Coming soon to a cinema near you.

Absolutely brilliant ... but did you have to post it at the bottom of the page so noone will ever see it?

It's a masterpiece. [Killing me]

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I think that one of the nicest things about the BSW is the way that it's never quite exactly the same from one hour to the next. (I can't vouch for the minutes.) A while ago the chapel was dark, with the lone candle shining through; now, someone has switched on the lights, and everything is bathed in a flat white florescence.

There's got to be a sermon in there somewhere.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I've visited the link on several occasions now, and have seen nothing 'move' (although the door in the background was once enticingly ajar).

Has anyone worked out whether they have a specific time (or times) for Exposition of the MBS? According to the testimonials elsewhere on the site, seeing It would give my spiritual life no end of a boost...........

Ian J.

Partway through the dense selection of "Quick Links" is the Adoration Schedule - along with a caveat that with only three monks and a raft of other concerns these are subject to being forgotten about. And a promise to do better if someone else helps out - any shipmates in Florida willing to fill in?

[I don't like forced line returns]

[ 24. January 2005, 10:25: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Who needs to be in Florida? Surely the great advantage of the Webcam is that anybody can volunteer to Adore via this Inter-web business?

There'll be a Benediction Radio Show next...

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh please, O Hostly Ones, do not close or lose this thread when shifting boards. Please preserve it in all its glory -- between the Blessed Webcam itself and Callan's magnificent screenplay, this thread richly deserves to live on.

Thank you for your consideration!

Rossweisse // major fan of both items

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Or if not, is it possible to nominate a thread for Limbo?
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

*bump*

I've missed this....

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Blessed Sacrament Webcam

gleaned from Fr. Len's Links

Check the audio files of the latest liturgy of the hours:
http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

Call me a typical Anglican, but I just think the whole place (or at least the Web site) needs a generous dose of taste. It's ridiculous.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
...Call me a typical Anglican, but I just think the whole place (or at least the Web site) needs a generous dose of taste. It's ridiculous.

Well.....yeah.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is absolutely amazing. It's kind of like a car wreck -- I can't keep from looking at it.

[ 23. February 2005, 18:52: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that is seriously sad.

thats worse than keep looking back at the ship...

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just found this - it's too wonderful.

A thousand blessings on the remnant who have kept the flame of this thread burning.

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AM - youre nuts!!!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The door just closed. I tell you. The door which had been ajar all evening JUST CLOSED.

My next stop is Lourdes.

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
The door just closed. I tell you. The door which had been ajar all evening JUST CLOSED.

The King has left the building?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

AM and laura ... we need to pray for you....

*resists temptation to pray a mock prayer*

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Blessed Sacrament Webcam

gleaned from Fr. Len's Links

Check the audio files of the latest liturgy of the hours:
http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

Call me a typical Anglican, but I just think the whole place (or at least the Web site) needs a generous dose of taste. It's ridiculous.

I've just listened to the Night Prayer and the leader is rushing it!!!! There are no pauses and the little dagger symbols or the commas [Frown]
He also can't sing! :s

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the reality of a tiny religious community, 103.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
I've just listened to the Night Prayer and the leader is rushing it!!!! There are no pauses and the little dagger symbols or the commas [Frown]
He also can't sing! :s

Check the Office of Readings or Morning or Evening Prayer audio files. Listen to the recitation of the psalms in an eerie singspeak. It'll haunt you all day. [Paranoid]

[fixed quote tags. Please use Preview post]

[ 24. February 2005, 18:21: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
He also can't sing!

The lack of pauses is probably because it's the Grail psalter, with the four-line (or more) stanzas, and unless they have an edition that's got the half-line asterisk (which they don't, since they use the USA LoTH four-volume edition), it's more usual to pause between stanzas rather than at the half-verse.

The monks at Saint Meinrad Archabbey chant the Grail psalms to their own Grail-specific psalm tones, with a pause between stanzas; the Episcopalian monks at St Gregory's Abbey in Michigan have made a pointed edition with the half-verse asterisk so they can use regular Gregorian psalm tones.

Scott, Benedictine oblate of Saint Meinrad Archabbey, and Confrater of St. Gregory's Abbey

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The door just opened!

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

And the monstrance has just left the building.
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one way of making sure that when you put the Blessed Sacrament to bed it stays put to bed and doesn't get up and play.

RR

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

For some reason, I find that an exceptionally disturbing thought.

I might try to abjure from the Jesus Webcam for a while - I'm starting to regard the MBS as a mighty suspicious Entity.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
This is absolutely amazing. It's kind of like a car wreck -- I can't keep from looking at it.

I know.

Should we be worried?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to shift timezones...nothing happens while I'm awake.

[Disappointed]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I need to shift timezones...nothing happens while I'm awake.

[Disappointed]

But how do you know nothing's happened in those other 59 seconds?

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
But how do you know nothing's happened in those other 59 seconds?

True, I suppose. My addiction to this is quite worrying -- I have it in the background at work all day. [Ultra confused]

[ 25. February 2005, 08:28: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

But Ian, are you taking screen grabs like me - seeing how the shadows change from one end of the day to the other?

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Um...no.

I guess I'm not as devoted as I thought! [Big Grin]

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

It's 3.30pm UK time and, as far as I can tell (having studied several screen grabs over the past few days), our brothers in Florida have yet to open the curtains today.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

*said in patient gentle voice and veery sloowly....*

Okay.. step *away* from the computer... you can do it....

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

GL-OOOOO-RY!!!! Natural light pervades the sanctuary!

You know there are times we are taken to the very limit of our endurance - and it's what we learn as we wait for deliverance that we take with us for the rest of life's journey.

[Votive]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016