homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For most of the "Visit Jesus Commercial", the only sound is static and what sounds like a beating heart. Reminiscent of an Edgar Allan Poe story...

The monk says something at the end, that starts with "Jesus is really present in the Blessed Sacrament" but I couldn't understand the rest of it.

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 518 | From: Lala Land | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the set resemble Pearl's basement in any way?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, Ross. It starts outdoors, Smalltown USA, as so many spooky movies do.

If I start hearing those throbbing heart-beats behind my cinder block foundation while I'm feeding my washing machine, I'm calling Ghost-Busters. Or, a monk.

BTW, the two versions of the video are different.

The Shining...Pearl

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the monks are so busy..... However, at least one of the actors in "Ghostbusters" would probably be available.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The chapel looks EXACTLY as it did before I went out of town one week ago.... Is this a still shot, or are the candles just at the same point as they were then?

[Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I don't always keep the window open, but sometimes do for days at a time, I've noticed the same, Ross. They leave those candles on the altar all the time and the light angles never seem to change. And the current practice seems to be to have that dinky little cross in place of the monstrance when Jesus has been tucked back in the tabernacle due to lack of someone to adore Him.

To be honest, I'd prefer a completely empty altar in the dark with an obvious sanctuary lamp near the tabernacle rather than this spot-lit clutter that causes one to focus on the various candles (are they lit? If so, what does that mean?) instead of simply being able to note "Yes, The Body is present on the altar" or "No, the Body is in repose in the tabernacle".

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I agree, Jennifer.

The munx could save some money on candles by taking your suggestion, too.

Ross // are they toying with us?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they need to save some money - or go out looking for a coin or three for the electricity meter!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It IS mighty dim in there!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No picture today. Maybe 'work in progress'.

I could offer a picture to have in reserve- my spin-off Chapel of the Cleansed Clothing. I'd have to tidy-up a lot though.
My garage/laundry/workshop/worship area is not as free of clutter as the Munks Chapel.
I don't think I'm allowed to own and operate a monstrance, though.

Pearl, Chapel Laundress

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure if you put an ormolo clock on the washing machine, no-one would notice the difference.

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The clock might well work.

However, you ARE allowed to own and display, if not operate, a monstrance. I noticed that the antiques store in La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe had quite a lot of them for sale, along with other liturgical plate. And it would certainly go a long way toward dressing up your laundry room, giving it a certain odor of sanctity to go along with the odor of detergent.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

Those poor monks. For months we've been muttering about the lights - they're too bright and garish, they've got the biggest energy footprint of any monastery etc. So, they turn the lights out and what do we do? Call into question their ability to pay their electricity bill. The poor dears can't win!

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Hmmm. Perhaps we should get the munx something nice for Christmas, Ann?

Probably not the clock, but...who's got some ideas?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emulsion paint for those walls?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Paint would be a nice start. Or perhaps some nice tapestries, to hide them?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

That's one heck of a clock, Ann. It could be argued that the face in the swinging pendulum might be Jesus. I said, "might".

Ross, the odor of fresh paint would be excellent in the chapel. I'd donate a gallon or two of Mystery Paint, the kind on sale, cheap, because the label has fallen off, and no one knows the color inside the can. Or, let the local school kids come in and paint a mural ! Community involvement, and all that.

Pearl with Swine-bristle brush at the ready

--------------------
Oinkster

Ann

Curious
# 94

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B-4 Swine:
That's one heck of a clock, Ann. It could be argued that the face in the swinging pendulum might be Jesus. I said, "might".

Hmm, if one were to vanda ... tastefully re-craft the clock into a functioning monstrance, would the lunette be better replacing the clock innards or inset in the pendulum?

--------------------
Ann

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Well, Ann, I didn't want to be distasteful, or untasteful enough to suggest that Jesus might enjoy a swing now and then. The Jesus Rocks Monstrance. Only drawback would be the glazed, hypnotized worshippers, after about 3 minutes of adoration. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Oinkster

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely the pendulum!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double-post, but I'm getting ideas for a short story... The Pyx and the Pendulum [Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

[Snigger] Pigwidgeon. Funny !!

You know that American spiritual, "Swing low, Sweet Sacrament..."?

Pearl B-4 Swing

--------------------
Oinkster

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B-4 Swine:
Well, Ann, I didn't want to be distasteful, or untasteful enough to suggest that Jesus might enjoy a swing now and then. The Jesus Rocks Monstrance. Only drawback would be the glazed, hypnotized worshippers, after about 3 minutes of adoration.

And while they were thus hypnotized, the individual in charge of stewardship would come along and instruct them to pledge 10% of their gross income, with an automatic withdrawal from an account each month.

(We could be onto a major breakthrough in ecclesiastical funding here, you realize.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw a monk reposing the Sacrament - 17.52 BST [Yipee]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Did he tuck him in sweetly?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

They've let him out again.

--------------------
Ann

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed Him!

Oh well, blessed and praised be Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar, anyway......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

He seems to keep a seriously limited schedule... sort of like prisoners in solitary confinement getting let out for exercise.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm...perhaps the Munx could be persuaded to leave Him out for a whole Day of Adoration?

Mind you, I'd probably miss that as well.....

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It gets discouraging....one can look and look and look, and NEVER get a glimpse!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Hmmm....the candles have stayed at the same level for a couple of days now. Could they be using the still shot again?

Enquiring minds want to know. [Paranoid]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Has anyone else noticed the odd effect of the shadows cast by the altar candles?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be lights behind the camera and also from other locations to create that effect. Is that a monstrance I see? It's not very spiky, though my window's a bit blurry.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Is that a monstrance I see?

In my head the way you said this was like Robin Williams doing John Wayne doing "Macbeth" in "Dead Poets Society": "Is this a knife I see before me?" Sorry -- I'm under-caffeinated at the moment.

Anyway, looks like a monstrance to me. So Jesus is in the building!

[ 10. October 2006, 17:11: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

YES!!! It certainly appears to be a monstrance! [Yipee]

(I love the Robin Williams/Dead Poets reference -- can't get it out of my head now!)

--------------------
~Tortuf

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now it's gone. [Frown]
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I see now that it was indeed a monstrance, because it's been replaced by a little crucifix or cross (can't see well enough to see if Jesus is hanging on it).

Dead Poet's Society -- a great film that I really wanted a feel-good ending for. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Loved that film. Have been looking for someone worthy of being called "Oh Captain, my Captain" every since.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

No monstrance. [Frown]

But the candle flames are lower than they were the other day, so at least it's not just a still shot.

[tangent]Laura, what is your new avatar supposed to be? I can't figure it out! [/tangent]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

[tangent]Laura, what is your new avatar supposed to be? I can't figure it out! [/tangent]
Ross

Cruella DeVil [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Cruella DeVil [Big Grin]

Perhaps a headshot would be clearer....

Ross // peering at the screen

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The candles are getting low...time to change them!

(He must be taking a nap; it's pretty dark in there.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has brightened up...with the arrival of a (blurry, as Laura wrote) monstrance.

Glory be.

[ 18. October 2006, 11:50: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Nope, it's gone.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monstrance out (I think... not really sure if that's the right term, but something gold and spiky on the table)

Plus, a candle has burnt out.

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monk spotted! Then gone again. But candle still burnt out.

Oooh, this could get addictive.

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Lowly Worm:
...Oooh, this could get addictive.

"Could get"?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

What a beautiful surprise! Jesus is out!
A little off-center, but, what the hey.

[Biased] PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

I knew I shouldn't have left 'the chapel' to post a message. Now He's put away again.
P

--------------------
Oinkster

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Jesus takes longer naps than all three of my cats put together. I NEVER get to see him!

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016