homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's their published Adoration Schedule. They don't mention it, but since they are in Florida, they should be on Eastern Time.

I see they provided themselves a loophole for being off schedule. Tch, Tch. You used to able to set your watch to a monastery's schedule of services. [Disappointed] Come to think of it for at least 1,000 years they were the watch.

The oldest clock I've ever seen was a fourteenth century monastery clock.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we should start keeping tabs on how often they abandon that sked. [Paranoid]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No sign on a Sunday afternoon....you'd think they'd let him out for a bit!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
No sign on a Sunday afternoon....you'd think they'd let him out for a bit!

Perhaps He rests on the sabbath day.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But don't forget he's a good Jewish boy, so he has his day of rest on Saturday!
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Excellent point, Margaret!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The candles are getting low again. I wonder how long they burn?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to be fickle, or disloyal, but here's a monstrance that will knock your eye out. And they hardly ever put it away.
http://www.savior.org/devotions.htm

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I am a loyalist, Pearl!

At times, though, I feel like a Cubs fan....

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your loyalty is rewarded today, Ross. [Big Grin]

Oops, too late. I was going to tell you, "Look Quick !"

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

[brick wall] [Waterworks]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this now the longest ship thread that is not a Dead Horse?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It is a Mystery.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are the two shiny dapply things that appear on either side of the vent that is below Jesus' portrait? Are they saint's statutes? Niches? Candles? What?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I think it's some sort of attempt at accessorizing, Laura.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

No sign of the Divine...again.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No sign of the Divine...again.

I think he deliberately waits until you're not looking Ross and then pops out only to run and hide when he hears you coming! [Snigger]
Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

You may be right, Corpus. (I think the munx may also have it in for me.) [Paranoid]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Take a look at the Rosencrantz thread in the Circus. I think that's currently twice the length of this one!!

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

[Axe murder] I just had a lovely look at Jesus !
Then I had a regular look at a Munk making the switch-er-oo. He was fussing with something that seemed like a place mat. Does there need to be a holy place mat under the monstrance?

A practical question: That black box in the wall isn't nearly tall enough to accomodate the standing-up monstrance. Does the monstrance "recline" out flat in there? Is it all padded and pretty, or just a hole in the cinder blocks. I'm serious here, I'm not up on what's appropriate and what's not. Bubble wrap?
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
[Axe murder] I just had a lovely look at Jesus !
Then I had a regular look at a Munk making the switch-er-oo. He was fussing with something that seemed like a place mat. Does there need to be a holy place mat under the monstrance?

Yes, there is a special place mat under the monstrance. It's the same place mat used under the chalice and paten (the little plate) at mass, and its proper name is the corporal.

quote:
A practical question: That black box in the wall isn't nearly tall enough to accomodate the standing-up monstrance. Does the monstrance "recline" out flat in there? Is it all padded and pretty, or just a hole in the cinder blocks. I'm serious here, I'm not up on what's appropriate and what's not. Bubble wrap?
PB4S

The black box in the wall is the tabernacle (and probably is brass - I think it just looks black because of the odd lighting arrangment). Jesus only hangs out in the monstrance when He's out being Adored. In the tabernacle he lives either in a pyx (a small container) or a ciborium (sort of a chalice with a cover which can hold a lot of bits of Jesus).

In answer to Laura's question, I believe the two shiny things on the wall are little brass angels, kneeling in prayerful adoration. I suspect they are intended to represent the Heavenly Host, singing God's praises through all eternity.

The monks really do need to do something about the lighting scheme.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

...AND the decorating scheme...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Take a look at the Rosencrantz thread in the Circus. I think that's currently twice the length of this one!!
And before the day is out, the Rosencrantz thread is closed.

Coincidence?

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
...Coincidence?

I think not! [Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I took my usual futile peek at the chapel, and found myself humming my favorite Channukah tune: "...And while we are playing, the candles are burning low..."

They may not let Jesus out often, but at least they haven't succumbed to the loathesome fashion for electric candles.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Alas! I went to check on Him, and found this note instead:
quote:
The image “http://www.monksofadoration.org/EMUCAP01.JPG” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They may not let Jesus out often, but at least they haven't succumbed to the loathesome fashion for electric candles.

"Electric candle" is an oxymoron.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

They're nasty, too.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alas! I went to check on Him, and found this note instead:
quote:
The image “http://www.monksofadoration.org/EMUCAP01.JPG” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
[Waterworks]
Fear ye not: They're back now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

And they've turned the lights up a bit, too! The munx must have more of a budget for electricity now, or else someone forgot to flip the switch on the way out of the Grim Grotto....er, chapel.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Fiat Lux !
I tuned in just in time to see Jesus out on the altar in the most brilliant light --- it was sensational.
The concrete block wall even had the appearance of real stone work. (all right, I'm highly imaginative)
Then, suddenly a different bright light, glinting off the high forehead of a monk; and it was all over.
Pearl B Dazzled

--------------------
Oinkster

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the lighting was a lot brighter when I came back from holiday last week, and then thought no, it was just the after-effect of too many large Spanish gins. But it really is, isn't it?

And I see they're now advertising Holy Mass (is there any other sort?) on Mondays to Fridays. Watch this space!

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the lighting is much better now. Our Blessed Lord is nowhere to be seen as I write, but the concrete (or whatever) block walls look better as well.

I wonder if the Munx will allow the webcam into the Mass, so that we can comment (constructively, of course) on their tat?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, yes. Much better lighting now. Well done ye Bruthas.

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'd suggest putting a subtle spotlight on the portrait, but I don't actually want to see that one any more clearly.

Should we take up a collection to send them a few cans of Navajo White (or similar shade) paint to make the place cheerier?

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Only the top little bit of the chapel is showing -- not much more than the top half of JC's face in the painting. Is this some sort of tease?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whole of the Sacred Heart picture now visible.

Has the view always been this wonky?

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

High-def it ain't.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the best-lit I've seen it in ages - though the candles are getting low!

Is there some significance in the position of the cross? It's right at the front of the altar at the moment.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno - but in that position it stands out very clearly against the altar cloth.

I've just noticed that on 13 December this thread will be two years old!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

It looks absolutely SMOKEY in there. Or, are my cataracts just kicking in?
You don't think the monks could have been fooling around with incense , do you?
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm...you may be right, PB4S.

Curses - I bet we've just missed Solemn Vespers and Benediction!

Ian J.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Solemnity of Christ the King, Jesus deserves some incense, even in RC places.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

It STILL looks smokey this morning (well, small hours Florida time). Perhaps it was invaded by a hit squad of thurible-wielding Anglo-Catholics?
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
On the Solemnity of Christ the King, Jesus deserves some incense, even in RC places.

Ten points!

I'll bet Margaret's theory of an AC invasion is correct, though.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm...ISTM that a take-over by a band of enthusiastic thurible-swinging A-Cs would be a Good Thing. There'd be a lot more in the way of Exposition, Benediction etc. etc..........(and some nice tat).

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Nice tat is sorely lacking.

I wonder if Alogon & Friends would like to organize a sprucing-up mission....?

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Uh oh. The left side, foreground candle is out. And the rest are on their last gasps.

I think that yellowish light might be from new light bulbs in that "real day-light" variety. Instead of the un-flattering neonlight kind.

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is exercising me at the moment is whether they will take that fifth candle off the stove when the winter sets in or does Florida not have winter or have extra hardy monks?

[ 28. November 2006, 16:55: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The little cross has disappeared from the altar!

[Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016