homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, that "extra candle on the stove" is only candle that needs to be there, as it seems to be the sanctuary lamp which identifies where the reposed sacrament is located. To be quite honest, the "stove" thing is probably just a fancy candlestand/table of some sort, even though it looks a bit like a certain style of tall cylindrical tabernacle. I'm pretty sure, however, that the actual tabernacle is what looks like a square goldy/bronze plate or shelf under the picture of Jesus. (I suspect it

The four candles (unfortunately in containers identical to the one holding the sactuary lamp) are, as far as I can figure, the monks' idea of altar candles. I can't think of any reason why they should be kept perpetually lit (normal practice is to light the altar candles only during mass or exposition). In fact, at the former little chapel, the monks had a single light on the altar which was only lit when Jesus was actually out on the altar.

Oh my, there's a monk! And now Jesus is out on the altar.

Perhaps after Jesus is returned to his breadbox, the monk will do something about those guttering candles.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by jlg

quote:
I'm pretty sure, however, that the actual tabernacle is what looks like a square goldy/bronze plate or shelf under the picture of Jesus.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe the stove candle is saying "Jesus IS here, just not necessarily where you imagine" [Big Grin]

[ 28. November 2006, 19:12: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rats! Missed Him again!

Presumably they've moved the little cross away so as not to obscure our view of the monstrance......

.....but the candles are still guttering.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's quite eye-achingly bright at the moment!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only the North-West corner candle is lit now.

The door in the wall is just like the door on the outside of my chimney, that you open up to clean out the pile of ashes from the fireplace.

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. My truncated comment at the top of the page was meant to say "I suspect it [the tabernacle] is recessed into the wall."

When I checked after the monk had returned Jesus to his little house, the guttering candles remained untouched, but I see they have now all been replaced. Perhaps they like to wait and replace them all at once rather than one at a time.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the interior decor of said Little House in the Small Chapel is better than the exterior same...

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I peeked in to see Mass this morning. (well, there isn't any audio, so you can't say you "heard" Mass) I'm trying to figure out what benefit I could possibly get from looking in on this ceremony. The whole concept baffles me.
[Confused]
P.S. Happy St. Andrew's Day PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sanctity by association, Pearl?

Happy St. Andrew's Day!

Ross (in Henderson tartan)

[ 30. November 2006, 18:05: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The picture is strangely fuzzy and bears a mysterious golden glow. Could it be a manifestation of the Divine?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm.....maybe it's incense again? Or has one of the Munx nipped into the chapel for a quick ciggy?

At least the candles have been topped up (or whatever) and the little cross has reappeared.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I peeked in to see Mass this morning. (well, there isn't any audio, so you can't say you "heard" Mass) I'm trying to figure out what benefit I could possibly get from looking in on this ceremony. The whole concept baffles me.
[Confused]
P.S. Happy St. Andrew's Day PB4S

Pearl asked me to put her pictures on my tribute site (or, should that be 'Stalking Site'?).

Being me, and going completely over the top, I caught the following day's Mass. According to their site, they will be having a week-daily Mass (but not this Monday). I shan't be adding any more Mass-grabs - I may be sad, but not that sad!

--------------------
Ann

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks for the pics, Ann!

Either Father Abbot (if it is he) is a very small man indeed, or else the altar and its appurtenances are about three times bigger than I had imagined!

Nice chasuble, though.

Not so sure about the missal-stand - looks a bit like a rather primitive mousetrap.......

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The cinderblock rood screen is just too sad....

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Yeah, it's not very attractive. But the poor monks are in Florida, land of high humidity (rot) and termites, and I'm sure they're building on a tight budget, so I imagine the heavy reliance on cinder block is a practical decision.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I know, but paint doesn't cost very much, and that pseudo-stucco they use so much down there isn't much more. It's the fact that the ugliness seems so deliberate that bothers me. Whatever happened to "the beauty of holiness"?

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

That yellow haze is starting to worry me. Is it smoke? bug spray? miasma?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

I think they've run out of steam again. Pearl B4 Swine caught last Thursday's Mass, I caught Friday's, they took a break for the weekend and Monday and haven't gathered the wherewithal to have another one since (at least, not where the webcam can see them, and considering it's focussed on the altar ...) [Disappointed]

Couldn't they at least put up an Advent Calendar to show willing?

--------------------
Ann

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

If the weather's nice down there, and it should be, perhaps they're celebrating "al fresco", out on the lawn. It would be a shame for someone to drive any distance to attend Mass at the advertised time, only to find they couldn't even say 'Hello' to Jesus out on the altar. [Hot and Hormonal] Much less, partake.

--------------------
Oinkster

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Maybe the yellow haze is actually poison gas. [Eek!]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two years - on Wed 13 December - since the Blessed Sacrament Webcam was presenced among us. A day to recollect the highlights?

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Said highlights have been sadly few and far between. Hey, at least they've got the cam working again!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I suspect Ancient Mariner is hoping someone else will trawl through all 24 pages of this thread looking for interesting posts.

ETA: Or just nuggets of information, such as the date of the first monk-sighting, etc.

[ 08. December 2006, 09:59: Message edited by: jlg ]

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I suspect Ancient Mariner is hoping someone else will trawl through all 24 pages of this thread looking for interesting posts.

ETA: Or just nuggets of information, such as the date of the first monk-sighting, etc.

*Sigh* Oh dear.

I have just looked at this thread for the first time [Eek!] I am trying not to get hooked. Virtual Adoration? [Paranoid]
Veeeery interesting

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So who's up for writing a 500-700 word summary of the 'highlights' of the past two years?

We'll make it a feature on the home page of SoF...

[Smile]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I might be, particularly if it would increase my chances of getting a Rowan Bear....

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Remember that such shameless acts, Rossweisse, may have consequences.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

May I submit a pictoral history of the site since we noticed it?

(A good home can be provided for Rowan Bears (or Monk Bears, but not bare monks)).

--------------------
Ann

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Ann, that's excellent. We just need some words to tie it all together (such as it is!)

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Well, I came into the Monk's World rather late, but I am a devotee of the whole thing. Especially since its my basement laundry room in disguise. Writing by committee isn't a good thing; however, I'd love to help Ross and Ann in any way I could.

Pearl

--------------------
Oinkster

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

What about choosing (say) five 'highlights' during the two years and we'll work them together somehow. Any BSC devotee is welcome to submit.

And go into appalling, lavish detail, please. How long you tarried without seeing a monk... What you were thinking about while you waited... The excitement when you noticed a door was slightly open... How long it took for the candle to burn down... Your feelings when they changed the candles... The time of day you started watching... The time you finished watching (or woke up)... How many work colleagues know about your vice...

[Votive] [Help] [Votive]

[ 09. December 2006, 08:21: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:

Perfect, AM. (You do realize that you're not the only Media Tart aboard the Ship...?)

What's my deadline?

Ross (who works better with same)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:

Perfect, AM. (You do realize that you're not the only Media Tart aboard the Ship...?)

What's my deadline?

Ross (who works better with same)

Something on Tuesday would be appreciated - so we can go for a two-year special feature by the end of the week.

Other BWS-ers are welcome to contribute - your challenge: to write something absorbing, witty and intriguing about something stupefyingly dull. Your copy should rejoice in the non-event, have us on the edge of our seats (as we are about to fall asleep).

[Devil]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

No sign of Mass happening today, at least not at the "Adoration" altar. And, the south-west and south-east corner candles are out.

Guess I'll go down and do some laundry, and visit with Jesus for a while. [Disappointed]

P.

--------------------
Oinkster

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It's time for the Hannukah song: "...the candles are burning low." In fact, it looks as if all but two are out, and those are in serious danger of guttering.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Light no candles to watch for Messiah.......

They're all out now. It's so sad to realize that the only observer is a silent, inanimate, mechanical one; I've had laughs at the expense of the Monks of the Adoration, but this is too much like an episode of Twilight Zone, where all the people have been whisked away, and a primordial silence falls over the ruined city.

Someone needs to rescue poor Jesus from His solitary confinement. [Tear]

--------------------
Oinkster

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

New candles! Lit (of course) to celebrate the second anniversary of this thread.

[Votive] [Overused] [Votive]

--------------------

Ecce Quam Bonum
Shipmate
# 10884

- Posted      Profile for Ecce Quam Bonum   Email Ecce Quam Bonum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do believe that Jesus is finally out for a walk!

--------------------
"And it is folly—it is madness—to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."--+Frank Weston, "Our Present Duty"

Posts: 168 | From: Sewanee, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's gone now. (And it looks like one of the candles is out.)
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the monks could make a lot more cash by offering a text alert service for mobile phones when Jesus is out.

Or else a Spot-the-Lord competition, just like the Haggis Hunt. Spot and win. A Monk CD clock. Or something.

[ 13. December 2006, 17:59: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Missed it again... [Waterworks]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I think the monks could make a lot more cash by offering a text alert service for mobile phones when Jesus is out.

Or else a Spot-the-Lord competition, just like the Haggis Hunt. Spot and win. A Monk CD clock. Or something.

Or live praying of the Divine Office, like they used to do, in streaming audio. Not to make money, of course, but perhaps attract more visitors and thus potential contributors (as a secondary reason to the invitation to join them in prayer).
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's out now!! Quiiiick! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got him! Though he looks a bit blurry in that horrible yellow light (well,who wouldn't be?)
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Frankly, I was hoping to see a groping munk who'd put 'im back in. But alas, I was too easily distracted by more mundane sites, and sights. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

[Smile] Rossweisse [Smile]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well done, Rossweisse! Many thanks!

[Overused]

Ian J.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Super, Ross !
[Axe murder]

--------------------
Oinkster

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

So there can be NO doubt, we await a webcam of your basement laundry room, PB4S.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

<curtsies>

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016