homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great piece, Ross! Very entertaining!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Ross, I think you've captured the mood excellently. [Overused]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Rossweisse, on a great article.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful, Rossweisse!!!
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great article Ross, but any chance the Munx might read it, 'cos I still haven't caught Jesus in the flesh as 'twere?

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, all! (No applause, please -- just throw chocolate.) (Or Scotch.)

Corpus, Margaret has kindly consented to notify the munx. Perhaps they will read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest -- or perhaps not.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Corpus, Margaret has kindly consented to notify the munx. Perhaps they will read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest -- or perhaps not.

The alternative is, of course, that I set up my own BSW - 'course, it would only work on the days when I am on duty as hospital chaplain, collect the Sacrament from OLoT, bring Him home, stash Him in my chapel-niche-corner-type-place and light the candle whilst I have lunch, and get ready to drive back to the hospital. 'Part from that, it would be fine. [Confused]

Corpus

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is still (as someone said some pages ago) the One True Webcam. My loyalties are set!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

quote:
This is still (as someone said some pages ago) the One True Webcam. My loyalties are set!

I appreciate that, apologise profusely and immediately withdraw any suggestion of any shoddy Blessed Sham-Cam.

Cc

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Quite all right, Corpus -- you were only trying to help! [Angel]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No response to my e-mail yet from the munx - but then they're probably desperately writing cards and wrapping presents just like the rest of us...
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

...or busy shopping.

Monk 1: What should we get the bishop?
Monk 2: Do we have to get him anything? Remember how he put us off and put us off for the chapel consecration, and in the end we had to put up with the mere Vicar General? I mean, really!
M1: Well, we HAVE to get him SOMEthing!
M2: How about a DVD of the consecration?
M1: Oh, good idea!
M2: Now, what should we get for the Pope?
M1: He likes playing Beethoven and Mozart on the piano. How about a score?
M2: But he has a pretty big music library. How do we know what he already has?
M1: We COULD send him one of our clocks.
M2: Oh, PERfect!

....and so on

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Conte Oberto
Apprentice
# 9004

- Posted      Profile for Conte Oberto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Thanx munx and Rosswesse! Great article, great site, great thread.

--------------------
Be prepared.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great article Rossweisse!
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still no reply from the munx - I have a sneaking feeling that they don't appreciate us quite as much as we appreciate them [Waterworks]
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that an unexpected monstrance I see before my [Eek!]

Prompted by Rossweisse's article?

Glory be! Jesus bounces back...

[ 18. December 2006, 21:35: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glory be!

After yet another no show for the 11 am Mass, I thought some sinister plague had taken aholt of them.

--------------------
Ann

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great article. Went back and reread the first few pages of the thread for sheer joy.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terrific article, Ross-- [Big Grin]
For those of you moaning about the cinder block rood screen, I just want to point out that they were quite honest about the "bricks" and some Ship contributors have paid for the very thing which depresses them (almost Biblical, that--).
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Having browsed a page or two (and resisted the temptation to subscribe to their 'Buck a Brick' campaign), I was greatly diverted by their description of the proposed cemetery as a monk's retirement home.....

Perhaps an offering of a quantity of an appropriately decorative substance could be made? A "Bored by the Bricks, put up a *XXX*" campaign mounted?

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thank you! [Big Grin]

No monstrance at this hour, but I notice they seem to have turned up the lights. It's a wonder Jesus can even sleep in there.

(Margaret, how could the munx fail to appreciate a following so loyal? [Tear] )

Ross

PS LMC, OTHER parts of the monastery have drywall. Why not the chapel?

[ 20. December 2006, 04:55: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

I've been looking at that wall (for hours on end?) and I'm still not sure. Although it could very well be breeze-block/cinder block, from some angles it looks like undressed stone or stone-cladding. With abysmal pointing.

Although the question remains, why doesn't it go up to the ceiling. Possibly, that bit is obscured by the rood screen when looking in from the public part of the chapel, even although the portrait crosses the line, but surely the medieval tradition of finishing everything beautifully, even the bits seen only by God, should apply.

--------------------
Ann

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knotty Pine would be nice- like my parents' (God rest their souls) Rumpus Room used to be.
Then we could put in a pool table. No doubt it'd get more use than the present 'table' does.

Rack 'em up !!

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the munx NOW, if you're quick (and devoted). SPECIAL BONUS - change of camera position.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

Yes, they've just finished Mass (the first one since the ones PB4S and I saw) and the poor little monk's had to go for a sit down.

(I have a few screen-grabs)

--------------------
Ann

Ann

Curious
# 94

And now He's out. O frabjous day, twice in one day!

--------------------
Ann

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

And who needs an advent calendar when you can count down to the much-loved BSW nativity crib?

[Angel] [Votive] [Angel]

Three days to go.

'Oh Chill, all ye Faithful.'

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I think the munx are snubbing us.

I look forward to the creche, however!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

scopatore segreto
Shipmate
# 11848

- Posted      Profile for scopatore segreto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I look forward to the creche, however!

Are they going to lay the monstrance in the manger?

--------------------
"Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it." Flannery O'Connor

Posts: 291 | From: the Christ-haunted South | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be ridiculous. Have you read (or even skimmed) this entire thread, scopatore?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think maybe a mini-Host, about the size of of thumb-tack.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by scopatore segreto:

[Eek!]

And that's why this thread is just too, too wonderful.

'The cattle are lowing
'The monstrance awakes...'

[ 22. December 2006, 12:09: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

I don't think the munx think so, though. [Frown] Still no reply to my e-mail about Ross's article, not even to return my Christmas greetings!
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Mass has started; just slip in quietly.
Can anyone see what the purple...is, next to the altar? Shhhh.....

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Ann

Curious
# 94

They're Massing again!

--------------------
Ann

Ann

Curious
# 94

Should have refreshed before scaring the horses.

I think that purple next to the altar is the priest!

--------------------
Ann

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Oh NO! I've missed it again - they don't hang about, do they?
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

No, they do not seem to spend much time in camera range.

(Rather rude of them not to respond to you, Margaret, it seems to me....)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Just two days to wait... two days until the crib is beamed down among us. Still my beating heart.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's Jesus now? I can see a cross at the front of the table, four lantern (one at each corner of the table), and one a little bit further back, resting on a something

Where is Jesus?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Babybear, Jesus is in the Tabernacle (the little cupboard beneath the painting - although technically I guess it's actually an aumbry). IIRC, He is usually to be seen around 6.00pm UK time - but don't quote me on that!

Ancient Mariner, I think we'll be very lucky indeed if we do get to see a Crib. It'll probably be somewhere else in the chapel, off-screen.......

[Frown]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

[Disappointed] babybear [Disappointed]

Got to say I am saddened and disappointed in your post, bb. I held you in much higher esteem. Stumbling, nay barging loudly into this thread, expecting to 'see Jesus' instantly, is exactly what the drunks, oafs and revellers expect on ********* Eve in churches worldwide.

Be assured He will not turn up on demand. True meaning and value is given, all in good time, to those who wait upon the divine, rejoice in the quietness.

You have much to learn, sister. [Votive]

[ 22. December 2006, 11:54: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

They're really pouring it on, this week ! Mass Again

Pearl B Sin***g

--------------------
Oinkster

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THANK YOU, PB4S!!! This is the very first time I've seen live people there!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ori***ally posted by Ancient Mariner:
[Disappointed] babybear [Disappointed]

Ah, hold on. I didn't know that Jesus was know 'built in' to the wall. Last time I looked he had a pretty goldeny box.

I was confused.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Confused perhaps, but surely it was worth it to get such a nice little homily from the Ancient One! [Razz]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sacrament link is dead for me. Perhaps I will go venerate a moose instead.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Please do it in Farsi, Gwai.

(Should we send the munx some Bombay Sapphire for Kirisamu, as the Japanese call the holiday at hand?)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I add belated congratulations to Rossweisse for her article. Particularly as she remembered to plug my 'Italian Mission Job' spoof.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thank you, Callan!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

I'm losing faith. I did at least get the purple blob in the corner of a completely different view to suggest that things do change occasionally, but only on one occasion and(frankly) I'm beginning to think I just get the same picture everytime I log on. Y'all talk about different sized candles, but I'm not convinced.

Why do the munx love youse but don't like me? What have I done to offend them?

Cc
[Not the beloved of the Munx]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016