homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still only half the picture, and those candles getting lower and lower - I have this dreadful, guilt-inducing vision of a flu-ridden monk staggering to the kitchen to make himself and his brother a hot drink yesterday, having a quick look at the computer on the way, seeing that those wretched people on Ship of Fools were grumbling yet again at the lack of monk action, and dragging himself wearily to the chapel to find the Wise Men and put them out (and tidy up the cross).

At least we know they're there - it's not a Marie Celeste situation after all.

And Pearl, if we ever get any money to restore our organ after we've paid for the restoration of the mural and the stonework, I'll make sure it has a stop called just that!

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WE're having Mass! With bigger and better Magi, it looks like ! [Angel]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Mass must have just ended.....what appears to be a rather nice missal stand can be seen on the altar.

The Magi are in full view, too.

No sign of Our Lord, though...........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhh - so that's what it is. I can see it now!

Was just about to post to ask - thanks for saving me the embarrassment!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a thought - do you think they block out some of the picture when they're doing non-spiritual things like candle maintenance or dusting and hoovering? They probably wear pinnies for this - I've seen nuns in gingham pinafores over their habits when they're doing domestic stuff.

[ 08. January 2007, 18:52: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps they do - although the candles are still low!

OTOH, they may take to heart the words of George Herbert:

'All may of thee partake;
Nothing can be so mean,
Which with this tincture 'for thy sake',
Will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause,
Makes drudgery divine;
Who sweeps a room, as for thy laws,
Makes that and the action fine.'

[Razz]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Who sweeps a room, as for thy laws,
Makes that and the action fine.'

Ian J.

In that case why not show it? Has anyone ever seen the munx doing general cleaning?
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm. Not as I recall, but there are screen-grabs of bits of the Munx as they scurry about doing this or that, so maybe......

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magi and missal stand....and the whole picture shows! [Axe murder]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The crib has just been taken away [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only is the creche gone, but the cross is in the middle of the altar and we've got a (relatively speaking) close-up on the altar and tabernacle.

....and I suddenly realize that this will cut down on the number of Monk Sightings...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a "server not found" error. So thinking it might have moved, I googled for it. Guess what I found - another blessed sacrament webcam!

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It's been around for a while; it wants a plug-in.

Ours is The One True Blessed Sacrament Webcam™. (Accept No Substitutes.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Jesus is out early this morning [Yipee]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And out again at 18.29 UK time!

Oh, and there seems to be some sort of patch of glowing, unearthly white light in front of the monstrance and altar.......

Ian J. (who has not been at the GIN).

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely seeing the white glare though I missed everything else.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"And the glory, the glory of the Lord..." [/Handel]

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1859 GMT - I've just seen my first live monk!!!
Woo and yay! [Yipee]

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
I've just seen my first live monk!!! Woo and yay! [Yipee]

Cc

I was about to Michael Winner you Cc ('Calm down, dear') but what the heck...

[Cool] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, I thought that perhaps the white glow (was it indeed the Shekinah?) might have signified that the Munx had been Raptured, but Cc's sighting seems to nullify that theory.......and anyway, if they had been Raptured, how come we're all still here?

Hang on a mo......maybe we aren't all still here.....

Ian J.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or we're still not all there [Biased]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we are Left Behind, BF

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Huh. Just my luck. I always seem to be Left Behind. Oh well, Tribulation, here I come....

At least we have the Munx to comfort us.

Ian J.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
At least we have the Munx to comfort us.

What would comfort me is the return of their webcasts of the Liturgy of the Hours. Is anyone in actual contact with them? Anyway, I'm going to write to them about this now; anyone who agrees, please do the same. [Cool]
redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone taking bets on which candle goes out first? I'll plump for the one at front right.

--------------------

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redoubt:
Anyone taking bets on which candle goes out first?

[Disappointed]

Another pathetic reason to check this thread.

(Mine's back left)

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who is geting the page alright but without picture?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Okay, it's back now. Ignore me.

(Perhaps that's when the monks clean? [Biased] )

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Anyone taking bets on which candle goes out first? I'll plump for the one at front right.

I'll take front left.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the one sitting on that...-something back next to the wall- in the running? It looks to me to be a sure winner.

Pearl

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

It's morning here and I've just paid my first visit of the day to the chapel - and the candles don't look as if they've burned down any further. Are we being fobbed off with a still [Disappointed] ?
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
It's morning here and I've just paid my first visit of the day to the chapel - and the candles don't look as if they've burned down any further. Are we being fobbed off with a still [Disappointed] ?

Or, God have Mercy! Electric or battery operated candles?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
...Is anyone in actual contact with them? Anyway, I'm going to write to them about this now; anyone who agrees, please do the same. [Cool]

Margaret, who is a financial contributor to their work, wrote to them recently -- and they didn't have the courtesy to respond in any way.

What would their mothers say? [Disappointed]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"But you told us you were running off to join the circus!"?

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

The missal stand is out on the altar now; so I guess there's going to be a Mass. That candle at the wall is really fading...

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

I'm deeply ashamed of my earlier post today (and deserve to be totally ignored by self-respecting munx) - it must be a live view of the chapel, as the missal stand's appeared on the altar!
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
The missal stand is out on the altar now; so I guess there's going to be a Mass. That candle at the wall is really fading...

PB4S

The "candle at the wall" is a sanctuary light, which indicates to all The Presence. It is only unlit if He is not there.

(Which is not to say, of course, that the light doesn't go out in the normal course of events; however, it is usually replaced quite quickly, once noticed.)

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

OOh! There's someone sitting in the president's chair! 11:15 EST North America.

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

quote:

I think that I may have won. This candle appears to have fizzled out.

OK, so I'm blowing my own trumpet. [Big Grin]

[ 11. January 2007, 21:06: Message edited by: redoubt ]

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, please don't blow trumpets in here, redoubt, something narsty out of Revelation might happen.

You are right about the candle, though and here is your prize

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Yes, the winner is the South-East corner. Gone. Out. Extinguished. Dark. Fizzled.

--------------------
Oinkster

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Ooh, please don't blow trumpets in here, redoubt, something narsty out of Revelation might happen.

You are right about the candle, though and here is your prize

Thank you, Jahlove. I shall enjoy the cake while trying to dodge the woes of Revelation.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
I'm deeply ashamed of my earlier post today (and deserve to be totally ignored by self-respecting munx) - it must be a live view of the chapel, as the missal stand's appeared on the altar!

Don't be ashamed; after all, they've done it before, and -- as The Boy Who Cried Wolf discovered -- one no longer trusts them with quite the childlike simplicity of first acquaintance.

Redoubt: Bravo!

OH! The monstrance is out, gleaming in spikey splendor! [Yipee]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes! The monstrance is still out!

All together now....

Tantum ergo superare

--------------------

Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

- Posted      Profile for Skateboard   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand how they can display the monstrance but not re-light the candle.
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by Skateboard:
I don't understand how they can display the monstrance but not re-light the candle.

And there's another on the blink.
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Forgive the double post but talking of blinks - at 11.15 a monk behind the alter, with bowed head. At 11.16 gone, and the monstrance with him. They must aim to be in an out pretty sharpish.

[ 11. January 2007, 22:20: Message edited by: justlooking ]

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Monstrance back. Two candles gone out and a third one on the blink
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

- Posted      Profile for Skateboard   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More blinks around 01:00 hrs, with a monk behind the altar, facing backwards. Then, in a second blink, both monk and monstrance disappeared.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Skateboard! Posting your first two posts to the Blessed Sacrament Webcam shows great taste (even if it took you eight months!)

Welcome aboard!!!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016