homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
0229 GMT - 3 candles out

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do have the electric lights cranked up though. Earlier today it was awfully gloomy in there.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, Jahlove, you beat me to it!

Well, anyway, they're STILL out.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Welcome, Skateboard! Posting your first two posts to the Blessed Sacrament Webcam shows great taste - even if it took you eight months!. Welcome aboard!!!

Eight months while you ignored the vent-spleening fires of Hell, the angst of Purgatory, the loving community of All Saints - and chose, instead, to de-cloak with us here in the BSW.

With your priorities firmly in order we welcome you, Skateboard.

[ 12. January 2007, 17:06: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would point out, in the monks' defense, that it is perfectly acceptable not to have the altar candles lit outside of Mass.

I note that the Sanctuary light is still lit, and that is the one that matters.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now the Sanctuary lamp appears to have gone out as well.

But it is only 06:15 there ...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just disturbed that the lectern or whatever you call it is still out!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've just had Mass, and it usually gets left on the altar for a while afterwards - with any luck a monk will be along soon to tidy up (and let Jesus out if we're lucky)!
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

- Posted      Profile for Skateboard   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The altar candles have been renewed and continue to burn even though Mass ended 35 minutes ago, whereas the sanctuary light does not appear to have been replaced.

Pigwidgeon and Ancient Mariner, thank you for your welcome.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, it must just be luck, because I was there yesterday evening (American time) and it was in that exact place then.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
18.06 GMT - the monstrance is out (God be praised!), and so are the candles, IYSWIM. I think PeteCanada is right about it being OK not to have the candles lit outside Mass, but I can't quite make out whether or not the sanctuary lamp is lit.........

Oh, and the Shekinah is visible again.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I see a monk!!!

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure what is on the altar - is it the monstrance turned sideways and a white box? Or a chalice and white box? Or crucifix turned sideways? I have noticed this before and I like to know what I'm noticing.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I am not sure what is on the altar - is it the monstrance turned sideways and a white box? Or a chalice and white box? Or crucifix turned sideways? I have noticed this before and I like to know what I'm noticing.

I think it is just the monstrance, turned sideways, and its shadow. But the quality of the image is very poor!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its most likely to be the monstrance sideways. But is Jesus there? Are they waiting for the priest to come and consecrate?

the candles on the altar are burning brightly BUT the candle by the wall seems to have gone out. In this case it would indicate that Jesus is not present and we are waiting for him.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's the monstrance, turned sideways. Perhaps Jesus wanted a slightly different view?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Methinks it is indeed the monstrance, turned sideways. Mealsothinks that perhaps Exposition is not very far off.......I shall return a little later!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. Monstrance, not centered on altar and turned sideways with the little door left ajar is, at least at our place, the proper position when waiting for Jesus to emerge from the breadbox.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

- Posted      Profile for Skateboard   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never before seen this view of the monstrance on the Blessed Sacrament Webcam.

May I ask a question. If the sanctuary light is on, is the blessed sacrament ever housed inside the tabernacle within the monstrance?

I don't go to a church where there is exposition of the blessed sacrament but imagine that, following exposition, the sacrament is removed from the monstrance and the sacrament and monstrance are stored separately. Is this correct?

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure the Monstrance is too big to fit in the Aumbry. In earlier times we've seen the monks putting away and the Monstrance has had its little door (Lunette?) open.
Here are some shots from the old chapel (when we had a better close-up view) and about halfway down on the right is a screen grab with the Monstrance open.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

Thanks Ann

I had thought from the current picture that the tabernacle was set into the wall in a recess but from your pictures I see that is not the case.

I wonder why the quality of the web cam pictures has deteriorated rather than improved over time?

The monstrance has now disappeared. The altar is bare apart from the four altar candles.

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is addictive... I noticed the monstrance had gone too. I haven't read all of this thread, but I feel like I'm being sucked into some sort of parallel universe...

oh, and in my (limited) experience, the sacrament was only contained in the monstrance during Exposition in the Catholic church I used to attend...

[ 13. January 2007, 22:03: Message edited by: Love the You you hide ]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

You will be assimilated......resistance is futile....

AFAIK, it is not correct practice to place the Most Blessed Sacrament in the aumbry or tabernacle whilst It is still in the monstrance. The monstrance should only be used when It is solemnly Exposed, and It is housed in a pyx whilst in the aumbry or tabernacle.

Ah, good old Ritual Notes........

Ian J.

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the blessed sacrament webcam thread Love the You you hide. Keep watching and marvellous things will happen!

Do the Munx have Saturday and Sunday off? If you click on 'Adoration Schedule' on the webcam page, Monday to Friday has various times listed yet Saturday and Sunday are blank.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

Sorry Ann I wasn't listening properly. I now see this is a different chapel; different altar, different tabernacle.

Thanks Love the You you hide, for the information re. the separation of the sacrament and the monstrance at times other than exposition.

Looking at the monks' website, I note that the monks don't advertise their webcam as a Blessed Sacrament webcam. They call it a Chapel webcam. This is a helpful realisation, as it helps me not to have too high expectations, helps me not to feel disappointed when the altar is bare, helps me to take what comes with equanimity.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Is the sanctuary light out, or is it just somehow not visible?

It's dim in there...no monstrance....no crucifix... just the four altar lights flickering. Shhhh! He's sleeping!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Jesus isn't there. Hence no sanctury light. One minute the monstrance was there, turned sideways and empty. Next minute it had disappeared. The munx must be having Mass, as we speak, and very soon Jesus will be back.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, I wonder what the Munx get up to at weekends! Presumably they say their Offices as per usual, but maybe they go off and assist in parish churches (as deacons or whatever, as I get the impression none - or neither - of them is an ordained priest).

Ian J.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Nothing's changed except the candles are a little lower. The munx are not at home I think. They've probably gone to church like the rest of us and I like to think they may have been invited out to lunch. They will be bringing Jesus back with them.

[ 14. January 2007, 16:25: Message edited by: justlooking ]

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an unopened book on what I think is the missal stand. It's the first time I've seen this. Hopefully a monk will shortly appear and start reading.

--------------------

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm always a bit hazy about the time difference, but I think we might have just missed Mass.......

Ian J.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

So we have. Missal-stand gone, cross back on the altar, OLJC in the aumbry (I presume).

Oh well......

Ian J.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A monk speaks!

I wrote to the Monks of Adoration and got a reply:

My e-mail to them...

quote:
> Thank you so much for your Web site and especially the streaming video
> from your adoration chapel. I was wondering whether you were planning
> to once again stream your Liturgy of the Hours on your site? That was
> so helpful, and I hope you will be doing that again. Just wanted to
> register my vote for that!

The reply...

quote:
We hope we can soon but we are not sure when. Br. Craig

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! A genuine Monk E-Mail!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Ooooh, Scott! Good for you! (I'm trying not to be envious.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

The chapel has retreated! WE are outside in the cheap seats, behind a barrier. Hard to make out anything on the altar.

I tried to do a cut and paste of the pic but it doesn't work.

[ 16. January 2007, 16:56: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm new to this - is this something new, this view? Definitely feel like someone's put a barrier up "thalt shalt not enter the holy of holies...". I'm bereft...

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Well I've not seen it before. Actually its quite interesting - you can see the gong thing at the side and all the seats in the chapel. It looks like we are in pews outside. We couldn't really see Jesus if they brought him out now.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, we couldn't - but I wonder if this is the view seen during Mass? Anyway, I think I can see something on the altar......might it be the monstrance?

Ian J.

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

We've now zoomed back in again and the cross is on the table.

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

Sorry for double post. I tried to edit but got a flood control message.

and the candle on the left near the wall is now definately alight.

--------------------

Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

To see the chapel in a wider context was an interesting interlude. Among other reflections, I'm left wondering which side of the barrier the monks sit.

Do they worship with the congregation on what looked like pews?

The middle part of the barrier looked rather flimsy, like a piece of material that could easily be moved.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I seem to recall seeing several seats placed along the 'east' wall of the chapel i.e. to either side of the altar. I would assume that the Priest and the Munx sit there, with the Munx assisting perhaps as Deacon, Server and everything else. No disrespect, but the liturgy is probably fairly minimalist.

Ian J.

--------------------

Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

At any rate, I'm glad the view has returned to normal. When the candles are all lit, the chapel looks homely and welcoming by comparison.

(Yesterday evening though, the view of the altar became increasingly truncated. First, only the three rear candles were visible, and then, none at all).

Fortunately all the candles are visible this morning.

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is the normal view (two pews and the breeze block screen in the foreground) but what I had initially thought was a sideways monstrance and a plant pot turns out to be celebrant... [Hot and Hormonal]

Not a great turn out today, it has to be said.

[ 18. January 2007, 15:22: Message edited by: lazystudent ]

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post, but the priest has a zimmer frame! How exciting! (Well, I would be excited.) He's distributing Communion atm, I guess adoration will follow Mass.

[ETA: Bah, not the priest's zimmer frame, but belonging to one of the communicants. Not quite as exciting any more.]

[ 18. January 2007, 15:26: Message edited by: lazystudent ]

--------------------

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lazy student says:
"a sideways monstrance and a plant pot turns out to be celebrant... "

My first out-loud laugh of the day. Thank you.

Yes, the walker seems to belong to a little-ol'-lady who is at Mass everytime. Actually, it might be a little-ol'-man, I can't tell.

And I've never seen a bigger crowd than what was present today. After Mass, they just disappear, and outten the lights. [Snore]
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Well today we have the pot plant celebrating the Eucharist followed by Jesus out of His box! Wisz hal dis liturgee, dey is spoiling uz!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, indeed - 18.13 GMT here in the UK, and, having just returned home after a hard day battling the wind and rain, I log on to find Our Lord in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar duly Exposed in the monstrance and waiting to be Adored. How lovely!

Venite adoremus, Dominum!

It's also a Good Thing that the Munx have their regular congregation - I hope they all find their Mass uplifting spiritually, and don't mind us watching them........

Ian J.

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

You'd have hoped they don't mind us watching. I guess they could have forgotten that they have a webcam, but...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016