homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O salutaris Hostia, Quae coeli pandis ostium!

Now we know what time Our Lord gets up in the morning...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dj_ordinaire, I find your sig particularly appropriate on this thread. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
But Ian, are you taking screen grabs like me - seeing how the shadows change from one end of the day to the other?

I tell you, it's Art.

I can just see a whole string of screen grabs, printed grainily in 11 x 14 format, adoring the wall of some trendy gallery or other.

In fact.... [Snigger]

Rossweisse // who says you need talent to be an Artist?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I woke up at 5am and, after wondering why the hell I woke up that early, I thought perhaps it was a sign that the door may be open and I should check.

No. [Disappointed]

[Help]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You probably just missed it by 59 seconds, Ian. Better luck next time!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It strikes me as interesting that it is the people who believe in the Real (physical) Presence who seem to be mocking it.

I wonder if that reflects an underlying belief in the Real Spiritual Presence and a Real Physical Absence or what.....

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Custard, I don't think the 'real' / 'spiritual' presence issue is being raised here, let alone mocked.
Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
It strikes me as interesting that it is the people who believe in the Real (physical) Presence who seem to be mocking it.

I wonder if that reflects an underlying belief in the Real Spiritual Presence and a Real Physical Absence or what.....

Start a thread in Purgatory to discuss that if you like.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's dark in here, isn't it?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaah! tenebrae factae sunt

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever's happened to Our Lord? I've justed looked, and the picture of the tabernacle et al has been replaced by a sort of mauve wallpaper!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He can't sleep with the light on?

--------------------
Ann

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It's GONE! [Waterworks]

O woe!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown]

[Votive]

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it's not. Unless my computer is possessed, it's right there, in early morning sunlight.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

People, please note that it was only after I added my [Votive] that the site was restored.

If such a prayer availeth much, what does that make me?

[ 28. February 2005, 12:39: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, its gone again.

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have it. Maybe my computer really is possessed. In which case, by what?

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
No, its gone again.

Nope, still coming through fine.

Not wanting to get too heavy but just how many unconfessed sins are there in your life, dj?

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, its gone again.

Press F5 on your keyboard (Windows only). It is sorta life after like absolution.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Not to worry, he's back! And without having to recant of too many of my manifold sins and wickednesses either! (Nor having to press F5, although thanks for the hint...)

--------------------

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

My patience has been rewarded with a screen grab of an arm and shoulder tucked in behind the door.

A framed version bound for ebay in due course.

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean you finally have something to do a press release on? [Biased] [Razz]

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh glory be! Is that a monstrance I see? And the box [I forget the name in my excitement...help!] is covered in a shroud.

God has rewarded my patience! Glory be!

Ann

Curious
# 94

Tabernacle? Aumbry?

Still, good to see they let Him out occasionally.

(Image saved to file.)

--------------------
Ann

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
(Image saved to file.)

Oh yes. A good idea. *click*

And thanks for the name. One does tend to get a bit flustered in all of the excitement.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The Blessed Webcam is back in operation!

It has a new candle, AND the door is open just a crack. Oooooooh!

[Axe murder]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My patience has been rewarded with a screen grab of an arm and shoulder tucked in behind the door.

A framed version bound for ebay in due course.

Arghh! I'm longing for monastic evidence! My most exciting moments so far involve the door.. open! closed! who knows!

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Arghh! I'm longing for monastic evidence! My most exciting moments so far involve the door.. open! closed! who knows!

I'm not sure we can prove the existence of monks from the evidence available on-camera.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

I think some monk has hit a setup button on the camera. The zoom level, and SP and some other baffling acronymns [to Luddites like me] are plastered around.

Very poor form. Though it does suit the cluttered layout of the page. [Disappointed]

[ 01. March 2005, 07:26: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm - I hope some dodgy monk hasn't just recorded 8 hours of the Chapel and is replaying it over and over ... anyone remember Speed?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

A dilemma!

Last night I saved an Image of the Blessed Presence without thinking through the ramifications. When I open the file, should I go down on one (right?) knee? Should I be doing this before I click on the file, or just when the Image is on display? Where can I put my chair? Should I be sure not to let another window on top of the Image of our Most Holy Saviour? Should I light a candle, or is the image of a candle by the Image sufficient?

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't given in to the impulse.

[ 01. March 2005, 08:32: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Surely not!

It may be a near real-time image, but an image is still all it is. You should no more genuflex to the Jesus Webcam (or indeed offer a profound bow, for our Sarum enthusiasts) than you would seek a blessing from a picture of the Pope...

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If such a prayer availeth much, what does that make me?

You are a mighty prayer warrior, one on whom the Lord brings favour.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like facts and figures. So I present to you, for your delectation a list of events and the times recorded....

22.08 Dec 14 jlg
a monk has just appeared in the little window, lit the vigil lamp and now the monstrance is back!

22.35 Dec 14 Spike
Our Lord is currently obscured by someone's shoulder.

23.34 Jan 18 TonyK
I clicked on the webcam site a few minutes ago and a monstrance was on the altar though largely obscured by a monk's shoulder. On the change, a monk was behind the altar and appeared to be reaching for the monstrance. I then read the thread. Having just gone back, the monstrance is gone and the tabernacle door (formerly open) is now closed.

23.12 Feb 23 Ancient Mariner
The door just closed. I tell you. The door which had been ajar all evening JUST CLOSED.

14.58 Feb 24 strathclydezero
The door just opened!

15.18 Feb 24 Ancient Mariner
And the monstrance has just left the building.

15.54 Feb 25 Ancient Mariner
GL-OOOOO-RY!!!! Natural light pervades the sanctuary!

There you go! Make good use of this information. And make sure you get pictures and send them to AM. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember all the interfering letters and numbers being there before.

In the upper left, for example, it says:

2X
EIS
DZOOM

Very distracting. I suppose I should just let it go, though ...

[left, right, who cares?]

[ 01. March 2005, 20:50: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Surely not!

It may be a near real-time image, but an image is still all it is. You should no more genuflex to the Jesus Webcam (or indeed offer a profound bow, for our Sarum enthusiasts) than you would seek a blessing from a picture of the Pope...

[TANGENT]

I'm so relieved - I've often wondered whether I should demand the pople of My Little Town should genuflect as I drive past taking reserved sacrament to the sick.

[/TANGENT]

I too was worried about those numbersthat appeared yesterday - perhaps the fund raising 75% of the home page has been so successful the blessed brothers purchased a u beaut new camera?

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
In the upper left, for example, it says:

2X
EIS
DZOOM

Very distracting.

Distracting?

DISTRACTING

"You mean you don't recognise the significance of those numbers?" said Professor Teabag to Sophie. "Now of course that's what the Church through the ages has wanted to hide from you, in their attempt to downtread women to hide the secret mystery of the location of the tomb of Mary the Mother of James who was married to St John the Divine according to the apocryphal book The Parrot of St Bartholemew which was suppressed by the Council of Arles which was consituted in 666BC by Constantine III, whose mother was, as secret documents (which are hidden in a Swiss bank vault) prove, related to the Borgias."

Outside, it was a dark and stormy night, and the form of a white figure, whose pink fleshy body was covered in a white fur-like covering, moved quietly through the bushes.

Back in the room, Professor Teabag and Sophie settled comfortably into the plush leather sofa. "Now," said Professor Teabag seductively, "surely you have noticed another similarity which has been hidden from us by the naughty wicked evil Church through the ages?"

"No" she exclaimed.

"Well, my dear, let me explain. Your name is Sophie, which as we all know from secret documents hidden in the reading material in the Vatican toilets, is from the Greek word meaning "Wisdom". Now, my fair one, we are both sitting on a sofa. Do you see the connection?"

"Oh yes," Sophia exclaimed breathlessly. "You are so big and strong and wise and the bad Church is so wicked and naughty."

"Well, we had better get back to the puzzle at hand before things get out of hand," Professor Teabag said teasingly

Outside, it was a dark and stormy night, and the form of a white figure, whose pink fleshy body was covered in a white fur-like covering, moved hungrily towards the window.

Back in the room, Professor Teabag explained the mystery.

"Now, my dear, let's examine the figures on this computer screen.

2X
EIS
DZOOM

If you look carefully and take every second letter, you find that it spells X I D O M."

"Oh yes, Professor," exclaimed Sophie breathlessly.

"Now, if you remember that, at this part of the story, we know that we are in the south of France. So, let's exchange the letter "X" with "F" for France, because as secret pirate maps show, X marks the spot that we are in. Now we are left with FIDOM. Now, because it is Monday, which starts with "M", we can delete that from the end of the word, which leaves us with ..."

Outside, it was a dark and stormy night, and the form of a white figure, whose pink fleshy body was covered in a white fur-like covering, moved desperately towards the window. The leather choker around his neck, bright with silver studs, shone magnificently in the moonlight.

"FIDO", Sophie ejaculated.

Just then, Fido the white poodle came bounding over the window sill into Sophie's lap. Dirty paw prints covered her short red dress and soft tanned legs.

"Now, my dear, we had better take you upstairs to the bathroom and get you cleaned up," Professor Teabag splurted breathlessly.

"Yes, Professor, we must," agreed Sophie agreeably.

Just as they left the room, the display on the computer screen refreshed. The door on the right of the screen opened and an elbow appeared from the right, covering the little gold box...

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah - that made my morning.

[SIGHS]

Now back to the Sacrament cam. [Snore]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

anglicanrascal: Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Anglicanrascal: [Overused]

Rossweisse // now I understand!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Can I just say: this is the best thread that SoF has had. Ever. [Overused]

Oh, and thanks Ruth, re. the sig. Unfortunately, it now means I can't change it without causing minor chaos.

God is still in the box, incidentally.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

Disturbed by the Da Vinci Code lettering that 'appeared' a couple of days ago, I fired an email to the Brothers and received this response:

quote:
The power outage we had caused the webcam to reset. It should be okay now.

In Our Eucharistic Lord,
Brother John

Hah! You'd have thought they'd dream up a better explanation that that. Don't be fooled. It's a cover-up for something much more sinister, as Anglican Rascal has discovered.

[Edited to see if scrolling could be fixed.]

[ 10. March 2005, 15:32: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

RuthW

# 13

Truly it is a sign of the end times that even the Monks of Adoration are not to be trusted. *sigh*
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear....I have problems seeing the words "Brother John" and not thinking of that Chris De Burgh song on a certain man by that name giving in to carnal temptation. You don't think he used the webcam there for other purposes do you? [Eek!]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The MW cleaning lady wanders in, using her Mobcap to dust and muttering to herself...

"I thought maybe this new crowd would be a little neater, what with only using tealights and having those worship halls that look so clean and empty, like airport waiting rooms, but no, it's still stuff left any old place..."

Coming across anglicanrascal's abandoned work, she picks it up.

"Now see, this obviously should have been filed with the St Bastard's newsletters, but no, they just leave stuff lying around anywhere..."

"Oh. More of that! Now where did those boxes get put when we moved the stuff from the MW cellars to these new catacombs? Probably near the pile of empty gin bottles waiting for recycling pick-up."

Giving a quick dusting to the flat-panel display of the Blessed Sacrament Webcam, the cleaning lady leaves the room.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a shadow over the picture....should I be afraid? Cause it does give a kind of "Uh, oh, he's coming back!" sort of affect.

[ 04. March 2005, 12:09: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Can I just say: this is the best thread that SoF has had. Ever. [Overused]

No, it isn't. It's great but not nearly as funny as hermit's thread about which gun was the best to buy for a purpose I've now forgotten. He'd meant to start on his gun-fanciers board, but started it in Heaven accidentally. Several people weighed in with opinions, demonstrating the depth and breadth of the experience of ship posters vis-a-vis firearms. It went hither and yon and was just generally fetal-position-renderingly funny.

It was tragically lost in a flood a while back. [Waterworks]

AM: thanks for getting Brother J to clear things up. I kept thinking "DOOM"? "DOOM"?

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread appears to be the Ecclesiantics version of GIN.

Laudate Dominum!

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016