homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GET IN! Christ is there! [Cool] [Yipee]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else really frustrated that the crucifix isn't central?

I want to move it a couple of inches to the left - it is spoiling the blessing!!

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed - a little task for Zimmer Lady, I think....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The monstrance just reappeared a few minutes ago!

Pretty!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're on an Internet program that lets you enlarge the picture, you will see a faint aura around the crucifix. This is indeed a blessing.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redoubt:
If you're on an Internet program that lets you enlarge the picture, you will see a faint aura around the crucifix. This is indeed a blessing.

Why would there be an aura?
I really think this is very difficult for me to accept.

Jesus is not confined to the host. Jesus is not in this place, reserved, hidden, put aside for the purposes of veneration.

God does not dwell in temples made by human hands - nor in little boxes - the presence of Jesus is within us. The Holy Spirit infills the human heart.

What is the mystery of faith - Christ in you, the hope of glory. There is no justification for a reserved sacrament. Jesus dwells in glory with the Father, and, by his Spirit, lives in the heart of the born again believer, not in a wafer.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog,
feel free to take your queries/opinions ref: reserved sacrament to a new thread in Purgatory, where folks can respond appropriately. Thanks.

Anselmina
Ecclesiantics Host

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Mudfrog,
feel free to take your queries/opinions ref: reserved sacrament to a new thread in Purgatory, where folks can respond appropriately. Thanks.

Anselmina
Ecclesiantics Host

Sorry. I was just commenting on the strange assertion that there might be an aura around the crucifix.

I wasn't intending on derailing the thread or starting a long discussion on it.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No problem, at all, Mudfrog. In fact, it might make an interesting OP in Purgatory if you wanted to develop a discussion on it. It's possible some folks would have a few questions they'd like to ask about this thread, and the regulars on the thread might wish to respond to. [Smile]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Mud, my beliefs about Communion might very well be as low as yours, but I still love this thread. It's just fun!)

So, why is the zimmer lady there but the sacrament not?

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
...So, why is the zimmer lady there but the sacrament not?

Right now it's smoggy again. And has the tabernacle light burned out?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus is out on the altar right now!
But no one turned the lights on. Its very murky in there. [Frown]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the monstrance has migrated to the North-East corner right next to the candle. Maybe its cold in there.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Mater et Magistra
Shipmate
# 9966

- Posted      Profile for Mater et Magistra   Email Mater et Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The monstrance is still back in the corner, but happily someone has replaced the candle in the sanctuary lamp. Thank goodness, I was getting nervous!
Posts: 110 | From: Northeastern U.S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Mater et Magistra:
The monstrance is still back in the corner, but happily someone has replaced the candle in the sanctuary lamp. Thank goodness, I was getting nervous!

What would they do without us to keep them on the ball?

Yes, I noticed Jesus was sitting in the corner. I won't ask what he's done to deserve it.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Here's a question:

If a tree falls down in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

If no one is looking, is Jesus still there?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One question doesn't follow logically from the other.

If you're asleep alone in your bedroom, you're there whether anyone sees you or not. If you snoore while you're in bed, someone may hear you or not but you're still snorring.

JC is still there

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note that the monstrance is still sitting on the north-east corner of the altar. It appears to be sideways on, which (IIRC) means that it is, in fact, empty. Either the Munx have forgotten to put it away, or Exposition of the Most Holy Sacrament is imminent........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a Friday. Maybe they're about to change it.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the tabernacle door open, too?

Or are my eyes just really fuzzy today?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tabernacle door would not be open except Jesus be absent. Since this occurs but once a year (after the Mass of the Last Supper), and that time is not yet, the door cannot be open.

I do wonder if that is a monstrance or a small crucifix. I have observed the latter about sometimes.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but just because it's not supposed to be left open doesn't mean it might not have been left open by accident.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

So is it the monstrance, left sideways, or a crucifix, or what?

The tabernacle door is closed, and the lighting is set to Smudge.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

FWIW, I'm pretty certain that what we are seeing at the moment is indeed the monstrance , empty of OLJC and placed (correctly) sideways on......but it's been like that for hours.....and where's the crucifix gone?

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I noticed that, too.

I'm starting to wonder if we're getting a still photo again. Or maybe the munx have just gone out for the day and forgot to move the monstrance first.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah! Yes, I think they do sometimes go elsewhere at the weekends. Perhaps there was a sudden phone-call from a needy parish somewhere, and they've downed tools and rushed off to help......

.....or they've been Raptured (again).

Ian J.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

The picture hasn't changed since Thursday night, about 9 o'clock. The candle flames seem lower though.

--------------------
Oinkster

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just looked at the Adoration Schedule and there is nothing scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays. It also says they are a small community of 2 munx. But there were 3!

They've lost one!

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

And now the camera is showing only the top third of the picture (Jesus wags His finger), again.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Mater et Magistra
Shipmate
# 9966

- Posted      Profile for Mater et Magistra   Email Mater et Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see the whole picture again, with the monstrance still turned to the side in the corner. As far as I know, that does indeed mean it's empty; before and after exposition & benediction at our parish (or indeed any other place I can recall), the empty monstrance is always positioned sideways.

The monks' left front candle does seem to be getting lower and lower, so I think we're still getting live pics. I hope they return in time to replace it before it burns out!

Meanwhile, Mass is just getting underway at Transfiguration . Four little servers, a deacon, and the priest have just processed in, and now the priest is doing some sort of hand-shaking, meet-and-greet run through the crowd! [Ultra confused] I wish I could get the sound to work!

Posts: 110 | From: Northeastern U.S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's been in and put everything to rights.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

....although the four altar candles are on the low side. At least the important one has been replaced!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Someone's been in and put everything to rights.

Not quite, that crucifix is not central! If I were Jesus I would move it - it's annoying.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's out! At 10:30 AM on Monday!

What a pleasure!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now Mass has begun - Zimmer Lady is there, but who are those two people sitting in the outer darkness on the other side of the rope barrier?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after the refresh, they're gone.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

They've moved on now. Probably just touristas.
But, that Do-Not-Enter rope really bothers me. In such an austere setting (and there's nothing wrong with that), that impossible-to-ignore rope seems to scream "Keep your distance".
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Wow! Loads of people - it must be a revival!!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

A minute ago I had a look and a Priest with server were facing the altar, with zimmer frame woman on the left and two guests this side of the rope. I clicked again just now and now everyone's gone except for someone on the left. It's quite exiting.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Now even she's gone - they're in and out like a fiddler's elbow!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

But Christ remains, it seems, on the altar. [Yipee]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liverpool fan:
I clicked again just now and now everyone's gone except for someone on the left. It's quite exiting.

Well it would be, wouldn't it? When they come in again it will be entrancing. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's there now!

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Skateboard
Apprentice
# 11372

- Posted      Profile for Skateboard   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just struck lucky again.

The monstrance is in full splendour and fortunately there is no sign of the do-not-enter rope.

Is it the case that the Blessed Sacrament would never be exposed without someone being physically present and praying in the chapel? That somehow brings home to me my responsibilities as observer and the mutuality of the relationship.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

A good point - could one of our Roman shipmates clarify the rules of Exposition? I should think it would be necessary to have at least one person present at all times.

Ian J.

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
A good point - could one of our Roman shipmates clarify the rules of Exposition? I should think it would be necessary to have at least one person present at all times.

Ian J.

I don't understand. Surely Jesus can be present whether anyone else is there or not. Anyway there are all those like the BSW devotees on the Ship who are present, if only virtually.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes - Jesus Himself is present all the time. I just thought that, if the Blessed Sacrament was being Exposed publicly (in a church), then it might be necessary to have at least one person present as a 'guardian', in case any malefactor tried to pinch the BS. As I say, I have no idea what rules (if any) there might be governing Exposition.

Ian J.

--------------------

Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

- Posted      Profile for Calindreams   Email Calindreams   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone light two of the candles please? They've gone out!

--------------------
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore

Posts: 665 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which ones? - All but front left are lit now. [Biased]

ETA: Ah yes, and Jesus is out playing. [Big Grin]

[ 21. February 2007, 20:13: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It looks to me as if all the candles are lit, though the front left-hand one is a bit dim.....

.......and the monstrance is not placed centrally!!

Ian J.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016