homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what's going on. I certainly hope they are not going to entirely prearranged time slots!

ETA: Yay! 37 pages!

[ 21. March 2007, 02:19: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the tabby light's out. But it's hard to tell, and things are so unchanged that it might well be a still shot.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it Spring Break?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it is - at any rate, the lights are going out and it looks as though nobody's home......

[Votive] for the Munx.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No change in 24 hours -- I think it IS a still shot. (Let's have truth in advertising, please, gentlemen!)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Has anyone seen any signs of life today?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None.

I wonder if the Munx are on a Lenten retreat (and have forgotten to update the website!)?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Still no sign of life. The altar lights appear to be exactly as they were yesterday, and I am inclined to agree that we are (alas!) seeing a still photo.

Ian J.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been checking in for the last couple of days, and I agree that it appears to be the same. It would be nice if the brothers would provide an update or a communiqué of some sort, lest we become worried.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I have emailed the Munx to tell them of our concern, and to ask them if there is perhaps a problem with the webcam itself. Watch this space!

Ian J.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm so accustomed to looking at it; it's terribly disappointing when it's not really live.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a determined optimist, I'm hoping that the still is there because the Munx are working hard on getting the chapel ready for Easter. They just don't want us to see the ladders and the buckets and the pots of paint all over the place as they plaster and paint that back wall!
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
Being a determined optimist, I'm hoping that the still is there because the Munx are working hard on getting the chapel ready for Easter. They just don't want us to see the ladders and the buckets and the pots of paint all over the place as they plaster and paint that back wall!

Ah, Margaret, I cherish your optimistic spirit! [Axe murder]

I just wish I could be reassured that the tabby light hasn't really been burned out all this time.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

If they were in Greater Los Angeles area, I would consider turning them in to the Clean House or reDesign crew; anybody that could help with the décor! Still, there is much to be said about stark simplicity.

[ 25. March 2007, 03:12: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Martin, that qualifies as industrial-strength simplicity.

And we're still looking at the still shot.... We need some Truth in Advertising, brothers!

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

I have high hopes for Annunciation tomorrow. Perhaps I'll endeavour to check between 11AM and 12PM EDT, just in case. That seems to be the usual mass time. Nothing coaxes shy Roman Catholics out of the woodwork more than liturgical anomalies--Blessing of Throats, Blessing of Pets, the Gloria in the midst of Lent, Ashes on the forehead, Waving of Palms, Genuflecting at Et incarnatus est, etc.

[ 26. March 2007, 01:46: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

(I didn't get my throat blessed on Candlemas this year. That explains SO much!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

That you attend a liturgically-correct parish? [Smile]

Aren't the throats blessed on the day after Candlemas--February 3 (the Feast of St. Blase)?

Nevertheless, I did not either!

10:08am EDT and all is the same.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I haven't yet had a reply to my email (it's been several days now), so either the Munx' pooter has broken down or they're on retreat......or something.

Ian J.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wandering through the rest of their website. If you scroll down to "Monastery News" in The Tabernacle Spring 2007 (their magazine), you will see that they've recently acquired a new bishop. If you look at their Vocation Page, the new Bishop Frank Dewane chose to end the Public Association mainly due to insufficient membership. Also, the vocation seems to be written in the past tense. If you look near the end of their History Page, they were closed on 16th March - the last time we saw any action - and are now relocating.

All very sad for them and I hope and pray they can continue their vocation somehow.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank you, Ann, for taking the time and trouble to sift through the Munx' rather extensive website!

I note that the whole enterprise was a three-year experiment, something I hadn't appreciated before.

Thanks and blessings, Brother John and Brother Craig - we hope to see you back on the Web some day.

[Votive]

Ian J.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

That is all.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

That you attend a liturgically-correct parish? [Smile]

Aren't the throats blessed on the day after Candlemas--February 3 (the Feast of St. Blase)?

Nevertheless, I did not either!

10:08am EDT and all is the same.

No, but I've been known to visit them!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, no! This is terrible -- and they just opened their new monastery, too!

What a rotter that bishop must be.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you monks for over two years of blessing, and a very enjoyable SoF thread.

God bless you. [Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Yes, thank you, brothers. May God bless you richly in your future lives. [Tear]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, those poor monks! After all the time they spent raising funds and planning and building their new monastery, to be summarily shut down like that - and it must have been at very short notice, since they'd advertised the Holy Hour on St Joseph's Day only a few days before it happened. The Bishop might at least have let them celebrate their patronal festival.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for Brother John and Brother Craig, and I hope we soon hear more news of them.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Brothers have certainly had a lot of ups & downs in trying to get their community going. I pray this is a temporary setback for them and that they will find a way of continuing their vocation.

[Votive]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No wonder the tabernacle light has been out. No one home.

This is very sad. [Frown]

[ 27. March 2007, 14:16: Message edited by: Pearl B4 Swine ]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the tabernacle light is out because Jesus isn't at home, then the tabernacle door should be open to make it unmistakeably clear that the house is empty.

I do hope the bishop wasn't so awful and abrupt that the Munx didn't have time to put their sanctuary to rights and take Jesus with them when they left.

This is sad news, indeed. [Votive] for the brothers.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It sounds pretty abrupt, and like a major misuse of episcopal authority.

[Mad]

Of course, I gather that in the RCC, the people of the diocese get no say whatsover in their bishops.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else thinking that the diocese has a brand new building (with consecrated chapel and retail outlet) paid for, brick at a time, by people who wanted some adoring to be going on but now aren't going to get it?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Yep. It's dishonest, deceptive, and just plain wrong.

Pearl, maybe you could offer the munx your laundry room for real?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Anyone else thinking that the diocese has a brand new building (with consecrated chapel and retail outlet) paid for, brick at a time, by people who wanted some adoring to be going on but now aren't going to get it?

Much like the Archdiocese of Chicago is getting a beautiful chapel by closing this and making it the new diocesan headquarters? [Biased]

The new Bishop of Venice in Florida must not be sold on the whole technology in worship issue yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The new Bishop of Venice in Florida must not be sold on treating his flock as a loving pastor should -- or on his responsibilities to the people (many Shipmates included) who helped to pay for that monastery.

Hmmm....I wonder to what uses he'll put his stolen property? [Paranoid]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The fate of two Munx and their monastery might not be world-shattering news, generally speaking, but it would be interesting to see any mention of this affair that might crop up in local newspapers etc.

Are there any local-ish Shipmates who might be able to pick up on this?

Meanwhile, where do I go for Adoration?

Ian J.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This new apple puter is great - I can have multiple open windows! Going to webcam now...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, read back up a bit, Sir Kevin. Webcam, while there, appears not to be live, due to events described/linked to above.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Dewane may have closed the monastry and moved the munx out, but the website still appears to be inviting people to make a donation. Certainly the link works - I'm reluctant to go any further, though it appears that the minimum donation is only one dollar, which is hardly anything in UK money these days!! [Smile]

Isn't this 'getting money under false pretences' or something similar?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Aha! The Bishop's haste may yet prove his undoing! Anyone care to make a donation - and then sue him?

[Devil]

Ian J.

--------------------

fisher
Shipmate
# 9080

- Posted      Profile for fisher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is very sad.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Who knows what factors the bishop may have had to take into account? - but, whatever the circumstances, I'm humbled by the courage and persistence that the two Brothers must have. For what little it's worth, I wish them the very best.

--------------------
"Down, down, presumptuous human reason!" But somehow they found out I was not a real bishop at all G. K. Chesterton

Posts: 1327 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Speculation over the situation was bothering me, so I just now picked up the phone and called the Munx. I had a pleasant conversation with Brother John, who gave me the scoop. I won't go into detail, because I neglected to ask if I could post it, but I think this much is all public information:

Basically, their "public association" with the Diocese was a three-year contract. The new bishop came in and said he would not renew it.

The website will close down at the end of the month, except for one page. They have two months to get out of the building, and they can no longer hold public services.

The good news is that the bishop can't just confiscate the building; they will be reimbursed for it, and the money that was contributed will go toward a new building. They're looking for a bishop who would be interested in having them.

They are not encouraging protests. However, I looked up the contact information, and for those polite and reasonable Shipmates who find the bishop's action ill-considered and would like to let him know how much the BSW means to them, I hereby share it: Diocese of Venice.

Address snail mail to the Most Rev. Frank J. Dewane, Bishop of the Diocese of Venice, Catholic Center, 1000 Pinebrook Road, Venice, FL 34285; the telephone number is 941-484-9543 (fax 941-484-1121), and the general e-mail address is information@dioceseofvenice.org.

Brother John reminded me that the Church is not a democracy. It seems to me that it shouldn't be a dictatorship, either. (But maybe that's just died-in-the-wool Anglican me.)

I'm praying that the brothers find a new diocese quickly, that their vocations increase, and that the move goes smoothly for them.

[Votive]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

(I just emailed the bishop.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<humorous tangent>

Those suffering withdrawal symptoms might visit here and meditate upon the slow working of God in and through the wonders of His creation.

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
<humorous tangent>

Those suffering withdrawal symptoms might visit here and meditate upon the slow working of God in and through the wonders of His creation.

Q.

Damn, you beat me to it! [Waterworks]

Had me [Snigger] when I saw the story on the BBC News website.

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Meanwhile, where do I go for Adoration?

Ian J.

One might try this alternative; from the Chapel of the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters/Congregatio Servarum Spiritus Sancti de Adoratione perpetua (SSpSAp) in Philadelphia.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Somehow, Q, it's just not the same.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Somehow, Q, it's just not the same.... [Roll Eyes]

What is the British obsession with cheese? I can't help but think about that scene in European Vacation where the only thing on every British TV channel is a cheese documentary.

Ross, thanks for finding the info about His Excellency. He's got an impressive resume; there must be something else going on.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

I think, in the past, some have mentioned another on-line Adoration site, www.savior.org . (Sorry, I'm link-challenged)

Thank you, Ross, for speaking with our Brothers. They are most welcome to drop in, anytime, to meditate, accompanied by the rhythmic whirring of the dryer. Or, to just rest awhile.
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank you, Rossweisse, for that most interesting and helpful post! I do hope the Munx were encouraged by their contact with the Ship.

At least the situation is not quite as bad as we had perhaps feared. Maybe there's a sympathetic parish somewhere that could house the Munx pro tem?

Ian J.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016