homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The door is open, but all is DARK beyond it. And only one of the candles is lit!

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the altar candle that isn't lit, which makes sense, as there's nothing on the altar and nothing going on in the chapel. (Does anything ever happen in the chapel I wonder?)

I wish they'd bring the monstrance back.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe (just maybe) the Ship could finance an advertising game/marketing project.

The first person to appear in front of the webcam with "Visit forum.ship-of-fools.com" and their username could win $500?

So, whaddayathink?

Pax,
ar

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
It's the altar candle that isn't lit, which makes sense, as there's nothing on the altar and nothing going on in the chapel. (Does anything ever happen in the chapel I wonder?)

I wish they'd bring the monstrance back.

I thought there was a monstrance -- there was in my picture!

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
Maybe (just maybe) the Ship could finance an advertising game/marketing project.

The first person to appear in front of the webcam with "Visit forum.ship-of-fools.com" and their username could win $500?

So, whaddayathink?

Pax,
ar

Will it be valid if a layman does it?

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not seeing a monstrance.
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:

So, whaddayathink?

Pax,
ar

Will it be valid if a layman does it?
I reckon it would. We could leave it to Simon or Erin to design the rules ...
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus must be tucked in for the night--the candle outside His house is lit. I don't see an empty bottle for the milkman. Maybe He is lactose intolerant.
Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just strangely comforting to see this ...

Rossweisse // okay, so I'm just strange

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The natural light of the morning is more soothing then the harsh evening flourescents.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think it would benefit from better lighting too. Something softer, more moody...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Maybe we should make a donation for some sort of hanging candelabra thingy nearby to cast a better sort of light.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

What I want to know is whether they switch on the light by hand or have some kind of automatic set-up. I didn't see exactly when the change from natural to artificial light came today--silly phone call having to do with w*rk--but it was around 3 pm here (6 pm Florida time). So I'm setting the little alarm gizmo on my computer to remind me to check every day at 2:55. I want to see if it's automatic and if so if it seems like there's a light sensor.
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Something softer, more moody...

Erin lighting?

[Biased]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Something softer, more moody...

Erin lighting?
Not THAT moody.

Rossweisse // thinking more in terms of dimmer switches

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The DOOR! It's OPEN! (No, not JC's door -- the other door!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

It's opened and shut about four times in as many minutes. They seem to be in a bit of a flap!
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the monks know about this thread

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

I bet they do: I bet they open and shut the door and see how many posts they can get each time!
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if they time it with the webcam, since it refreshes every minute. "Quick, while the camera's off! Shut the door! Ha, ha, ha!" Or, even better, "Put the monstrance out!" 2 minutes pass. "Now move it!"

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've bookmarked the page. What's the status of the bookmark? Is it an accident or substance? What happens when I close down Firefox?

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Sacraments were not ordained of Christ to be gazed upon or to be carried about, but that we should duly use them. And in such only as worthily receive the same, have they a wholesome effect or operation: but they that receive them unworthily, purchase to themselves damnation, as Saint Paul saith."

So there. [Razz]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looked through the door and saw a window...the implications are staggering.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

RuthW

# 13

Yikes, Og!

The door's open now and I see a hint of a glimmer of light.

# 3200

That's an aluminum bar in the middle of a window....or it's Sponge Bob on a waffle.

I can't be certain.

Must pray harder...must pray harder.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

I checked at about 5 pm Florida time, and the artificial light seemed to be on already. Hmmmmm...
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okely-dokely, the gloves are off ...

I'm pleased to announce that a Ned Flanders Air Freshener (for your car) will be sent to the first BSW-er who can send Simon or I a screen grab of a monk celebrating the eucharist in the chapel. I already have the shadowy outline of a body behind the door - not good enough!

Those email addresses:
simon@shipoffools.com
steve@shipoffools.com

[ 10. March 2005, 12:19: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck - isn't that door frustratingly tantalising?

The promise of a Ned air freshener is not going to help my addiction to this webcam at all.

How long has it been up? Do you think they'll eventually forget that it's on and come wandering past in their pyjamas or summat?

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I bet they do: I bet they open and shut the door and see how many posts they can get each time!

Are we behind the round window or the square window this morning, Brother Ignatius?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The slight pause betwen the text loading and the image loading is too much to bear. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Last time I checked the BSW, I got the image first. A special blessing, I'm sure!
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Looked through the door and saw a window...the implications are staggering.

The door is open and I can see into the room beyond. I don't think it's a window back there. I think it's a mirror.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
How long has it been up? Do you think they'll eventually forget that it's on and come wandering past in their pyjamas or summat?

I've been aware of this site for about four years now... so at least that long. And I have yet to see a monk in his PJs. Or any monk, for that matter.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The door was open - the other room was light, the door shut, the door opened - other room dark, the door shut again.

It's all action over there tonight!

Am now even more determined to catch a monk unawares.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Last time I checked the BSW, I got the image first. A special blessing, I'm sure!

What did the voices say to you, Ruth?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

RuthW

# 13

They said if I persevered, I would be rewarded. That, and they told me to change the kitty litter. (How did they know?!)
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught a monk in the little picture once -- he only stayed for about 10 minutes though. (Whatever happened to "Could you not wait with me one hour?").

Another time the monstrance was there, but there was no part of any monk within camera range.

Both of those back on Dec 14.

TonyK made a sighting on Jan 18.

AM seems to have seen the monstrance, if not actually any evidence of a monk.

Those seem to have been the only sightings. Perhaps the monks are denying themselves Adoration as a Lenten penance?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sanctuary lamp is pretty low. Somebody has got to come in and change it soon.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh! The door is open!!

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Oooh! The door is open!!

And there's a light on in the back room!

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brethren! I have SEEN the Light!

(Maybe its low-level afternoon sun coming through a window & shining on the walls?)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The door, having been closed, has now opened at this latest screen-refresh cycle. The window in the other room can be clearly seen.

But the question remains -- will Jesus be let out to play or did one of the monks just take a shortcut through the chapel?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Why do folks think it's a window? It still looks like a mirror to me.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Perhaps because one doesn't think of monks as hanging up decorative mirrors?
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Perhaps because one doesn't think of monks as hanging up decorative mirrors?

Not even Episcopalian monks?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Looks like a mirror to me, too.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Well, these are Catholic monks, but I figure they could have a mirror in the anteroom or sacristy so that the celebrant could make sure he's got his stole on straight.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

We had one in my last church for that purpose. I suspect so that Father Probablygay could make sure his moustache was properly turned... [Big Grin]

[ 11. March 2005, 22:18: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

This is very cool. The boss is gone, I'm getting my desk cleared off and looking at the BSW, and the organist just came in to practice Bach. [Smile]
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

The light! It's bright! Must have switched on the artificial ones...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016