homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've just turned the light on. And not before time - it was getting very murky.

What time is that where they are then? I'm in a muddle with my clocks.

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're on Eastern Standard Time (east coast, US). It's 6:35 pm there right now.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry folks! What I thought was a monstrance was that box with a door sitting on the table. I just looked up monstrance and see I was monstrously wrong. What is that, an aumbry?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the door is open, it's dark in the room beyond, and there's a thin horizontal glimmer of light visible.

I vote mirror.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Well, these are Catholic monks, but I figure they could have a mirror in the anteroom or sacristy so that the celebrant could make sure he's got his stole on straight.

But this isn't a proper church or monastery, it's a little
ranch house
in Florida.

(Dangit! The other room has been dark and suddenly the lights are on in the chapel, but no sign of a monk. Grrrr. These guys are toying with us, I'm sure of it!)

Anyway, I suspect this is a converted bedroom or dining room or something, so that door opens into a hallway or another room.
Besides, mirrors don't have sashes inside the frames, especially horizontal ones and also that piece of molding that goes under the sill (can't remember the particular name for it). That's a window, folks, IMNSHO. [Razz]

[ETA: My, my, my look at all the crossposts! [brick wall] ]

[ 11. March 2005, 22:40: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Sorry folks! What I thought was a monstrance was that box with a door sitting on the table. I just looked up monstrance and see I was monstrously wrong. What is that, an aumbry?

That's the tabernacle. God-in-a-box. [Big Grin]
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
Okely-dokely, the gloves are off ...

I'm pleased to announce that a Ned Flanders Air Freshener (for your car) will be sent to the first BSW-er who can send Simon or I a screen grab of a monk celebrating the eucharist in the chapel....

Will the NFAirFreshener be autographed by you or Simon or in some other way carry proof that one lucky shipmate did indeed win this contest?
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:

That's the tabernacle. God-in-a-box. [Big Grin]
Laura, you inspired me to look it up; I couldn't remember the difference between an aumbry and a tabernacle. A tabernacle is God-in-a-box (or the box, at any rate) on the altar, and an aumbry is God-in-a-box hanging on the wall or on a table or shelf away from the altar. So thanks.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Aumbry also refers to the box-on-the-wall where the consecrated oils (Oil of the Catechumens, Holy Chrism, and Oil of the Sick)) are kept. This is the common usage in my corner of the RC world.
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This was my screenshot of the monstrance*.

I've only seen it twice so far. There is a list of times linked from the page, but they also say there are only three of them and so sometimes they're too busy to let Him out to play.

* It looks more like one of those 18th century ornate clocks to me, but I'll take theit word for it.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Ann, thank you, thank you, thank you! Praaaaise Jeeesus.......!!

At long last I've caught a glimpse of Our Blessed Lord on this dratted webcam thingie - I was beginning to think the monks were indeed playing some sort of evil game with us.......

Ian J. (who is now going to go and have a stiff drink and lie down.....)

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely, the BS webcam thread is the new GIN thread around these here parts.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if the thing we can see in the back room isn't a cupboard of some sort, painted white (like everything else here, it seems). It looks as though it has a handle half way up.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have they lost the light switch?

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who needs light when you've got a Caravaggio-esque light beam from stage right???

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. If it wasn't for the reassuring sanctuary lamp I'd be tempted to say "Jesus has left the building"...

--------------------

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

Indeed.

I mean - right now - if you didn't know what the camera was pointing at - what would you take as a guess?

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

I reckon they've just locked on to a UFO.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope we are all busy writing our stories about the viewing and sending them in, as others have done? When you explore the sight, you come across a collection of them.
I am sure I will get round to it one day, when I am not busy and when my internet time is not so taken up with the Ship! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Well looking at this the best time to clock a monk is 0730 EST. Most of the comments are cringeworthy - I wholly recommend a visit here to get your fill.

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

LIGHT! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Top of the pile so far reads:
quote:
The first time we visited my 6 year old son Austin and I sat and were mesmerized. He extended his arms toward my laptop screen to give Jesus a big hug. He definitely felt the power of Christ coming thru the computer screen.
Aww, bless. <choke>

In other news, it appears that the Ship 'clock-a-monk' quest is not an isolated one:
quote:
Brother John, In my quest to see a monk on your monk-cam, I have set up a web ring of a few friends of mine to watch the monk-cam at most hours of the day. This is the exciting part. Sister Sarah saw a monk! I was not fortunate enough to lay eyes on him, but I know you guys are out there! Thank you for putting your web-cam up. We love it!

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

Aaaaaaaargh!

I just saw a monk!

But I couldn't remember how to do a screen grab in time.

Bugger bugger bugger!

K.

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Oh no! I think they're playing a game with us...

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

Right.

I'm ready for him next time - I've found the buttons I need to press...

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
Aaaaaaaargh!

I just saw a monk!

But I couldn't remember how to do a screen grab in time.

Bugger bugger bugger!

K.

It's always the way with "the one who got away", isn't it. How big was he?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Viola
Administrator
# 20

Huge I tell you!

About 3 inches - on my screen at least.

He put a new candle in though, look.

K.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

WhoaNelly! The webcam just zoomed out!
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh WOW! They've moved the camera further away, you can see a lot more of the room, and the door's open! What does this portend?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Zoomed back in.

I swear one of the monks is reading this thread.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've MOVED THE WEBCAM BACK SEVERAL FEET! You can see the whole (small) room from the outside, and another doorframe, and...

No...wait...it's back in the old place. No....it's a little further forward, and you can barely see the doorframe anymore.

They are messing with our minds!

Rossweisse // naughty monks!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Crossposting with Margaret and Jennifer...

Yes, I think they're reading the thread and giggling amongst themselves as they move the silly thing back and forth. "Close the door!" "Okay, now open it!"

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I grabbed a screenshot of the long view. I don't have a place to post it online at the moment, though. Perhaps tomorrow night.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I think they got tired of us arguing about whether that was a window, a mirror, or a cupboard on the other side of the door.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, good. I'd love a copy! (I was trying to figure out how to do a screen shot when it zoomed forward again.)

[cross-posting again]

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I think they got tired of us arguing about whether that was a window, a mirror, or a cupboard on the other side of the door.

Who could blame them?

[ 13. March 2005, 20:11: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Maybe they were just dusting (the webcam? Jesus?). Nah, they must have been playing with us. Everyone knows that men don't dust.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Now I can't even see the door frame!

--------------------

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Ditto - have got an image but don't have anywhere to upload it to link here. Nothing as exciting as monks in shot, mores the pity. But it being 0345, and with the alarm clock set for 0615 ready for school later, I'm going to call quits on clock-a-monk for today. Passing the baton over The Pond...

--------------------

FutureFr
Shipmate
# 9145

- Posted      Profile for FutureFr   Author's homepage   Email FutureFr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I missing something? On my view I can only see the 2 candles, the picture, and the box on the table. Everyone is speaking about a door, a mirror/or window.

Am I missing a link somewhere?

Posts: 56 | From: Marion, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FutureFr, until a few hours ago you could see a few inches of a door on the right, and sometimes the door would be open and you could see through to the room beyond, in which there is something that looks like window or a mirror. But they have moved the camera so it doesn't show the door anymore.
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Let me tell you guys how much I've been helped" page:

quote:
Brother John, In my quest to see a monk on your monk-cam, I have set up a web ring of a few friends of mine to watch the monk-cam at most hours of the day. This is the exciting part. Sister Sarah saw a monk! I was not fortunate enough to lay eyes on him, but I know you guys are out there!
Have we got a Shipmate called Sister Sarah?

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that we can't see the altar, wherever are they going to put the monstrance? Surely they don't intend to stick it on top of the tabernacle?

Ian J. (who will either have to have another stiff drink, or else fall into a swoon......)

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My theory about last night is that the Prisoner in the Tabernacle tried to make a run for it. The reason why we can't see the door any more is that they've stationed an armed monk in front of it to prevent any more breakouts.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vaguely remember the view being like this once or twice before.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazystudent:
Maybe they were just dusting (the webcam? Jesus?). Nah, they must have been playing with us. Everyone knows that men don't dust.

Perhaps Jesus' mother told him that he had to clean his room because she's got someone visiting on the 25th.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Now that we can't see the altar, wherever are they going to put the monstrance? Surely they don't intend to stick it on top of the tabernacle?

They've got the very top of the altar showing right now. And the monstrance they use is plenty big enough--you'll see it if it's there.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww. I'm sad now. I wanted to see the door open.

*waves at the monks what are reading this*

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FutureFr
Shipmate
# 9145

- Posted      Profile for FutureFr   Author's homepage   Email FutureFr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1250 Eastern Time and IT IS GONE TOTALLY

by totally I mean the red x on the top corner of the picture box

[ 16. March 2005, 04:53: Message edited by: FutureFr ]

FutureFr
Shipmate
# 9145

WHEW, it's back. Sorry to cause alarm
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Perhaps Jesus' mother told him that he had to clean his room because she's got someone visiting on the 25th.

Why? Is there going to be another Annunciation, and so another Saviour? Or does Gabriel pop round every year just to say hello and ask how things are going - some sort of proxy-parental access visit?

There are some major theological implications to this [Confused]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016