homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Blessed Sacrament Webcam
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got screen grabs from Wesley J and Margaret up now.

I've a feeling the next action will be around 3:00 their time (Florida?), which will be 8:00 GMT.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I obviously just keep missing the fun... that was what I was looking at. [Disappointed]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always kinda feel Jesus is giving a 'thumbs up' in the painting with his right hand. [Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think they've calculated it so that the candle will go out at 3:00?

--------------------
Ann

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the link to the new and alternative webcam (I think they probably have a praise band at Benediction....), but fell foul of the wretched plug-in wotsit.

I duly repent, therefore, with fasting and prayer, and return to the Original and One True Webcam.

Oh, and blessed be the screen-grab providers....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

Things are moving!

--------------------
Ann

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coming up on 5 pm local time, and the candle is still lit. I like the way they've zoomed in on the tabernacle; it seems appropriate for the moment, though I hope they don't leave it that way.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YES YES YES!!! ITS A MONK!!!!!

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lesedi
Shipmate
# 5234

- Posted      Profile for Lesedi   Email Lesedi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rats!!

I tried to save a picture of a monk adjusting the covering on the tabernacle but I failed in my efforts! The saved picture is simply the covered tabernacle/monstrance/whatever it is.
[Hot and Hormonal]
And this is the first time I've actually seen a monk. Maybe it's my Good Friday penance...

Cherie

--------------------
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. Homer Simpson

Posts: 118 | From: slogging in a vineyard | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. It's Good Friday; the tabernacle is covered; the candle is still lit.
What's going on?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the candle is the candle of the presence, which is never put out. And images and tabernacles are usuall shrouded after Palm Sunday.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As distinguished from a tabernacle candle, which would not be alight at this point?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Well, the candle is the candle of the presence, which is never put out.

Huh? Last night the priest emptied the aumbry and blew out the candle in my parish. (No altar of repose for us this year, though. [Disappointed] ) What is the candle of the presence? And why would it be lit when Jesus has left the building?
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Do you think they've calculated it so that the candle will go out at 3:00?

As one of the semi-pseudo-sacristans* at my church, I'd estimate that vigil candle has quite a few hours left, maybe even close to a full day. And it is now 5:40pm in Florida.

*(Little old church ladies who attend daily mass and get distracted by noticing that the candles will need to be replaced soon, the altars linens aren't hanging straight, and everything the server(s) do wrong, followed by a quiet and polite catfight in the sacristy over the correct way to purify, clean up, and get things set up for the next mass.) [Big Grin]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in the Methodist Church, a lit candle is always present as a symbol of the presence of the Holy Spirit. I had no idea it was different up the candle. [Confused]

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Well, the candle is the candle of the presence, which is never put out.

Huh? Last night the priest emptied the aumbry and blew out the candle in my parish. (No altar of repose for us this year, though. [Disappointed] ) What is the candle of the presence? And why would it be lit when Jesus has left the building?
These guys are RC. The vigil candle indicates the presence of consecrated hosts in the tabernacle.

But those hosts should have been either consumed or removed to an Altar of Repose* at the end of the Holy Thursday service.

I notice the painting of Jesus is gone, and perhaps the candles on the altar (not sure because of various camera angles), so I guess this is their version of a "stripped altar".

*The altar of repose doesn't have to be an actual altar -- right now in our church Jesus is hiding in a cabinet in the sacristry (the one where the chalices are kept), with the vigil lamp in front of it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that that tabernacle still contsins Our Lord despite it being Good Friday. The tabernacle door ought to be open and the light extinguished. Do we know if either of the monks are priests?

If not then perhaps they are keeping Our Lord handy in case one of them looks like croaking it in the next few hours and they don't have a priest nearby who can bring over the BS. Otherwise they should keep their emergency BS in an discreet place and leave the webcam tabernacle properly open and stark.

Cosmo

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Perhaps they have yet to celebrate the Rite of the Preconsecrated?

Zach

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
YES YES YES!!! ITS A MONK!!!!!

Hmmm... Now - just a moment... Who was it that was mocking me for getting excited about a monk sighting a few days ago?

Oh yes - I remember...

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crucifix now on top of box btw.

K.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

It's getting very dark there, and the artificial light's not on.
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's now pitch dark with just the glow of the sanctuary lamp to show Jesus is still there.

Deborah

P.S. I have a screenshot of a monk - who do I send it to? And how?

[ 25. March 2005, 22:44: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why is the tabernacle not being open and empty? And what's with the light still burning? What kind of monks ARE these guys? Baptist?

Rossweisse // [Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread just gets better and better.

Thank you to all those keeping vigil and hosting pictures for those of us of lesser strength.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'know, without Jesus' Nightlight on, the webcam would be nothing but a black blotch, so that might be part of the reason...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How have I not read this thread before?

BSM is going to be my new addiction, once Jesus comes back.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is getting more and more interesting. Thanks for the latest screen grabs, Ann. DRAMATIC! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now Jesus has disappeared from the wall. Is this symbolic - or are the decorators in? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

They stripped the chapel last night. I got the screen grabs.

I'll probably miss the fun tomorrow - they'll either do it just after midnight their time, or when I'm at church.

[ 26. March 2005, 21:10: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's now all rather overexposed, coming from the upper left. Is this what angels look life from off camera?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

The dazzling light of Christ's resurrection?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's nearly nine on Easter morning in Florida, daylight's streaming on, the lamp's almost burnt down, the tabernacle's still veiled - are the monks having a lie-in?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
It's nearly nine on Easter morning in Florida, daylight's streaming on, the lamp's almost burnt down, the tabernacle's still veiled - are the monks having a lie-in?

Perhaps they've been Raptured.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Viola
Administrator
# 20

Heavens!

What time do these monks get up?

It must be afternoon there by now.

K.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I think the sanctuary lamp went dead sometime during the night Friday/Saturday. At some point I realized that a bit of the metal support stand was catching reflected light just about where I last saw the flame.

The whole thing is very odd. If the tabernacle is actually empty, the door should be open so everyone can see that it is empty. If the tabernacle isn't empty, the sanctuary lamp should be lit and the veil removed.

And yes, Jesus should be resurrected and back in his box by now.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptured? Oh, I do hope not - this thread is far too much fun......

....and if they have been Raptured, how come the rest of us are still here?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

I caught a T-Shirt replacing the candle (I thought it had gone out; now the flame's at the top).

It must be just past one o'clock where they are.

If these are just monks, perhaps they've had to go to a church to get some fresh Jesus.

--------------------
Ann

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Local time here (both me and Florida monks) is currently 1:30pm EST.

I just got a screengrab of a shadowy closeup of part of someone's head in the foreground (which caught my eye while I was typing up some impassioned drivel to post in Purgatory [Biased] ) and suddenly the painting is back, the tabernacle is unveiled, and ... well... I can't tell if the lamp is lit or not. Actually, it doesn't look like it to me.

I missed t-shirt man. Rats.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And the door-frame has returned as well!

What's all this with T-shirts? Don't these monks wear their habit all the time - or have they been invaded by a praise band?

Ian J.

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a screenshot of a monk, facing the camera and wiping something with a white cloth...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

It's back to pretty much the original camera angle; I wonder if they'll leave it that way. The monstrance is out, and the door is open.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

He wasn't wiping something, he was in the process of unfolding the corporal (the square white altar cloth that goes under anything containing a consecrated host).

I caught a series of four shots:

* monk at tabernacle
* monk lights altar candle
* monk unfolds corporal (same one sophs saw)
* monk gone, monstrance on altar

Ann

Curious
# 94

You know, there are three monks there, worshipping their little socks off, and all I can do is crow over the screen grabs. Does that make me a bad person?

--------------------
Ann

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I think I've only ever seen one of them.

And I trust that they are worshipping their little socks off out of a desire to know God, in which case our enjoyment in catching them in the act shouldn't really be a problem for them. They did install the webcam after all.

On the other hand, if catching them in the act makes you feel guilty somehow.... [Big Grin]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still maintain that these chaps are just Southern Baptists, having us on. There is no other explanation for some of this stuff. (That includes the Cheesy Jesus portrait.)

But at least they've given back the doorframe. I suppose that makes up for something.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like somebody left the lights on overnight. All the dramatic natural light of the morning is missing.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Folks, I think they're doing a TV interview now - a monk plus another chap with a camera in there, plus they're moving the webcam.

And I've got several screen grabs. [Big Grin]

Thanks to Ann, I realised that my screen grabs(hosted by Ann) must be from the time when they did an interview with a newspaper from Florida.

The girl on the pic may be their journalist, Lauren Glenn. Compare the camera position in the screen grabs with the photograph in the article.

Exciting! - Hey folks, we're doing really well there! [Yipee] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Far be it from me to divert attention for too long from the BSW - but I've discovered this webcam which claims to be at the 'Seacoast Church' somewhere in the US.

The blurb reads: 'No matter where you are along your journey - whether you're just checking out this "church thing" and the claims of Jesus Christ or you're looking to strengthen your relationship with Christ - that you will feel right at home here at Seacoast Church webcam.'

But I can't 'feel right at home' if they don't tell me the location of Seacoast Church, why the webcam is placed where it is - and what is being built on the building site opposite.

[Help]

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

That's an odd one.

I will stick with the BSW, where at the moment there is dim natural light, and the door to house right appears to be open.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

# 3200

Watching a live shot of a backhoe....doesn't compare to the BSW.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016