homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily Offices Redux (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily Offices Redux
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Who has started O Sapientia and who is doing it tomorrow on the 17th?

Well, since I forgot last night (read: drunk as a skunk), I guess I'm starting tonight. I'm using SHBp, so I'll just bump them each back a day...

[ 17. December 2006, 22:31: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Who has started O Sapientia and who is doing it tomorrow on the 17th?

Today I'll start with O Wisdom, per the Saint Helena Breviary. Last O is O Virgin of Virgins, on the 23rd.
In the sacristy at Ascension, Chicago, this morning, I noticed that a card with the O Antiphons had been posted for Evening Prayer officiants to use; the first is today, not yesterday. I think they are from Galley's Prayer Book Office. So I have to decide whether I'll stay one day removed from the parish's use of the O's or get with the parish's program. I'll have to do the latter at least tomorrow evening, when I'm officiant. Generally I'm alone at that office, and if so, perhaps I shall attempt to wing the chant.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LBW's Great O Antiphons start today with O Wisdom.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
The Church of England website doesn't seem to be doing the O Antiphons at all. Can anyone think of a good reason for this, other than that they have forgotten?

The O Antiphons are in the Common Worship: Daily Prayer book, so the website programmers either forgot or didn't build in the capability for daily changing antiphons. Either way, it is unfortunate.

J.S. Bach

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
The O Antiphons are in the Common Worship: Daily Prayer book, so the website programmers either forgot or didn't build in the capability for daily changing antiphons. Either way, it is unfortunate.

I'm fairly sure they were there last year. I recall thinking that the website was helpful in showing how they are used, whereas the book isn't very clear, if you don't know what to expect. I remember one minister, using the book, including both the usual refrain and the O Antiphon.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had the song "O! Gravity!" stuck in my head since EP last night.

Which, you know, is appropo as they're a 'Christian' band...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too was p.o.ed that the CofE web site left them off. We pray the office here in the office after hours.

The web site is a bit stingy with antiphons. I've emailed them about that; no reply.

Have to go back to paper books as if we were still in the 20th!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

So, I've got my SHB open and am wondering, what do we pray on Sunday matins this year, Advent IV or Christmas Eve? Do we just get to choose ourselves? Figure as we get closer to actual evening-shaped things, it'll definately be Christmas Eve, so the point's moot for Vespers, nu?

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
I too was p.o.ed that the CofE web site left them off. We pray the office here in the office after hours.

At least the link to the intercessory prayers is now correct. It has pointed to the prayer for use in Advent for at least the last year and, like a stopped clock telling the right time twice a day, that's the right place once more.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
So, I've got my SHB open and am wondering, what do we pray on Sunday matins this year, Advent IV or Christmas Eve? Do we just get to choose ourselves? Figure as we get closer to actual evening-shaped things, it'll definately be Christmas Eve, so the point's moot for Vespers, nu?

Interesting. I'm familiar with the older calander system. 23rd Evening - 1 Vespers of Advent 4, Vigils of Advent 4; 24th Morning - Lauds of Advent 4; Thereafter the Propers of Christmas Eve with the commemoration of Advent 4 with its antiphon and collect.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
So, I've got my SHB open and am wondering, what do we pray on Sunday matins this year, Advent IV or Christmas Eve?

I should defer to SHB users, of course. The old monastic breviary rubrics have it as follows: Saturday evening is Vespers for the Saturday before Advent IV, but from Lauds onwards you do the Vigil of the Nativity with a commemoration of the Sunday at Lauds. Vigil offices end at None, so Sunday Vespers is I Vespers for the Nativity, proper. This is from my monastic diurnal, which is handy at the moment; I can check the rubrics for matins elsewhere.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double post; breviary.net is my friend:

Vigil of Christmas:

quote:
At Matins, this Office is a Simple, at Lauds and the Hours, a Double.

However, when the Vigil of Christmas occurs with Sunday, the Office is said as follows:
  • At Vespers on the 23rd, all as on Saturday before the IV Sunday in Advent.
  • At Matins, Invit. of Christmas Eve, as below, but the Hymn of Advent from the Ordinary; the Antiphons, Psalms, Lessons and Nocturn Versicles and Responds at the I and II Nocturns are said as on the IV Sunday of Advent; but at the III Nocturn, although the Antiphons and Psalms are of Sunday, as in the Psalter, the Nocturn Versicle and Respond are of the Vigil, and likewise the three Lessons of the Homily, with their Responds for the Homily of the Sunday is not read as Lesson ix.
  • Lauds is of the Vigil with Commemoration of the Sunday. And likewise, throughout the Hours, the Office is of the Vigil, of which, however, just as of that of the Sunday, nothing is said after None.

[Added quote code to make clear that material was quoted from the breviary.net website]

[ 19. December 2006, 19:44: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The answer to the Saint Helena Breviary question is on p. 292 of the monastic edition:

If [the Fourth Sunday in Advent] falls on December 24, Matins and Diurnum are as on Christmas Eve, p. 295, except the Collect, which is of Advent IV below [p. 292]. Vespers is I Vespers of Christmas, p. 306.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not specifically related to the divine office, this site provide podcasts of daily prayers in the tradition of Ignatian Spirituality. It is quite good.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
The answer to the Saint Helena Breviary question is on p. 292 of the monastic edition:

If [the Fourth Sunday in Advent] falls on December 24, Matins and Diurnum are as on Christmas Eve, p. 295, except the Collect, which is of Advent IV below [p. 292]. Vespers is I Vespers of Christmas, p. 306.

I'll have to wait until I go home from work and check mine (I've got the green book). But if'n it says the same thing, I'm going to bust out the blushing smiley.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I'll have to wait until I go home from work and check mine (I've got the green book). But if'n it says the same thing, I'm going to bust out the blushing smiley.

Ah. In that case, the green book says it on p. 101:

If [the Fourth Sunday in Advent] falls on December 24, Matins and Diurnum are as on Christmas Eve, p. 103, except the Collect, which is of Advent IV below [p. 101]. Vespers is I Vespers of Christmas, p. 108.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So from a BCP perspective, I take it I pray Advent IV Mattins and then First Evensong of Christmas?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

[Hot and Hormonal]
So, you mean, if I like, bother to read the rubrics, my questions would be answered? Who knew!

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
So from a BCP perspective, I take it I pray Advent IV Mattins and then First Evensong of Christmas?

Yes. It's clearer with the BCP than with the SHB we've been discussing because the BCP clearly separates the "Christmas Eve" (=I Evensong of Christmas) psalms and lessons from the MP of "Dec. 24," meant to be used on whatever weekday that date is. Since that date is the Fourth Sunday in Advent this year, the "Dec. 24" MP provision gets trumped by those of Advent IV.

In other words, those using the USA 1979 BCP do the following:

MP: Pss. 24, 29
Lessons of Sunday in the Week of 4 Advent

EP: Ps. 89:1-29
Lessons of Christmas Eve (Isaiah and Philippians)

The stuff for Monday through Friday in the Week of 4 Advent, and the stuff for Dec. 24, get(s) skipped this year.

moveable_type
Shipmate
# 9673

- Posted      Profile for moveable_type   Email moveable_type   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LQ, you mean the Canadian 1962 BCP, don't you? I think Scott is referring to the American one.
Posts: 1062 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by moveable_type:
LQ, you mean the Canadian 1962 BCP, don't you? I think Scott is referring to the American one.

Oo...sorry. I should have spotted that. [Hot and Hormonal]
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moveable_type:

Yes, but the answer remains the same, right?: Advent IV Mattins and I Evensong of Christmas.
ConsAnglican
Apprentice
# 12136

- Posted      Profile for ConsAnglican   Email ConsAnglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just received Daily Prayer of the Church in the mail yesterday and it is a wonderful resource. It has all of the psalms in the proper for the day, complete with pslam prayers. It has a wonderful selection of collects for intercessions and for many days. It does not overload you with too many psalms per day. Compline has one of my favorite prayers: "Keep watch, dear Lord . . . ." It has substantial variety in ordinary time, and a good list of commemorations. It provides brief summaries of the assigned scripture readings. Its responsories are drawn from a wide variety of scripture and are longer and more moving than others I've read. It is, in my view, the best breviary I've seen. BDP, which I had been using, has wonderful litanies and scripture readings included. But it misses the collects and psalm prayers, and its responsories pale in comparison.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ConsAnglican:
I just received Daily Prayer of the Church in the mail yesterday and it is a wonderful resource. ...It is, in my view, the best breviary I've seen.

Hello, ConsAnglican. You have discovered one of the hidden gems of the breviary world. I am constantly drawn back to DPotC for the very reasons you mention.

Don't quote me on this, as it may be completely inaccurate, but I've heard rumor that in the not too distant future there may be an ELCA-Augsburg Fortress production of an enhanced daily prayer work to join the Evanglical Lutheran Worship "constellation" of resources and to supplement the ELW offices much like DPotC supplements the LBW offices.

Time will tell, I guess, but I'll keep you posted if I hear anything more. If there is a public comment process, as there was with the other ELW resources, comments from Shipmates with experience in using the daily offices may be very helpful in the production of the volume.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Time will tell, I guess, but I'll keep you posted if I hear anything more. If there is a public comment process, as there was with the other ELW resources, comments from Shipmates with experience in using the daily offices may be very helpful in the production of the volume.

My first comment, before any of this takes place, is that Pastor Pfatteicher simply must be involved.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
My first comment, before any of this takes place, is that Pastor Pfatteicher simply must be involved.

Agreed. Most of his work can easily be imported. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm a bit concerned, though, because DPotC was not published through AF or with direct involvement of the ELCA Worship staff. Perhaps there has been a falling out.

Anyway, I hope he sees that this can be a chance to iron out the wrinkles of DPotC (typos, etc.) and to keep up with the times.

Fortunately, the folks at Higgins Road have taken the opinions of us commoners to heart in developing the ELW resources. I expect that even less people would comment about a breviary; therefore, those of us who respond would have more of a chance to be heard, and hopefully more of an impact.

[ 21. December 2006, 03:32: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Bartolomeo

Musical Engineer
# 8352

- Posted      Profile for Bartolomeo   Email Bartolomeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I prayed the ELW office for vespers for the first time this evening. I found the music to be touching and supportive of the unique attitude of evening prayer.

I'm not sure who the office is intended for since the musical parts, beautiful as they are, are difficult. You would need an organist, and either a cantor, a choir, or an assembly of unusual singing ability.

Are any shipmates aware of any other musically-oriented office materials that make use of metrical (rather than chant) settings? I have the RCSM book which includes a number of such settings but which I don't find to be musically satisfying.

--------------------
"Individual talent is too sporadic and unpredictable to be allowed any important part in the organization society" --Stuart Chase

Posts: 1291 | From: the American Midwest | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Soooo....

Did anyone's Christmas "haul" contain a shiny new breviary? [Biased]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Soooo....

Did anyone's Christmas "haul" contain a shiny new breviary? [Biased]

No, but to be fair I am on a b-commerce moratorium so it's just as well.

Scott, I do have a related question or two for you (and others with sage advice). You have mentioned before that your church uses a book of patristic lessons at Evening Prayer. Is this book easy to find? Is it organized day by day, or in another manner? I've been looking to supplement the office.

Luther's catechism is always a timeless jewel, but I'm sure Luther would look kindly on a little diversification vis-a-vis the church fathers!

BTW, did your haul include any breviaries, missals, sacramentaries, etc.?

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
J. Robert Wright. Readings for the Daily Office from the Early Church (New York: The Church Pension Fund, 1991) may be what you have in mind. It tracks the current ECUSA daily office lectionary. Yes, it's easy to use.

[ 26. December 2006, 23:43: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Thanks, TSA!
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
J. Robert Wright. Readings for the Daily Office from the Early Church (New York: The Church Pension Fund, 1991) may be what you have in mind. It tracks the current ECUSA daily office lectionary. Yes, it's easy to use.

Yes, that's exactly what we use for our second lesson at EP except on BCP holy days, when we use the two Biblical lessons appointed.

We also have in the sacristy the UK Roman Catholic publication, From the Fathers to the Churches, and some officiants use that when the reading for the day seems better. I try to stick to Wright's book, though, for consistency.

[ 27. December 2006, 03:04: Message edited by: Scott Knitter ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Yes, that's exactly what we use for our second lesson at EP except on BCP holy days, when we use the two Biblical lessons appointed.

Good to hear, since it's already been ordered anyway. [Cool]

I'll pretend I didn't see that mention about the UK book, especially since I also didn't see the price.

Thanks!

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I'll pretend I didn't see that mention about the UK book, especially since I also didn't see the price.

It might help to know it's very difficult to find (the one in our sacristy is from the rector's personal library) and that the Wright book is a lot better. [Biased]
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the UK Roman Catholic publication, From the Fathers to the Churches
The readings are indeed mainly from The Divine Office , but the book is specifically designed for the use of Anglicans, adapting the readings to the Calendar of the ASB 1980 and adding others for non-RC feasts. The book was edited by Brother Kenneth and other members of the Community of the Glorious Ascension, an Anglican religious order.
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:

It might help to know it's very difficult to find (the one in our sacristy is from the rector's personal library) and that the Wright book is a lot better. [Biased]
Yes, it helps. I'd rather search for an elusive inexpensive copy of Galley's PBO instead, or use my efforts to encourage AF and Churchwide to get started on a more comprehensive breviary.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I almost bought the English Office today, but couldn't tolerate the missing propers for some Marian feasts (e.g. Presentation, Queenship, Seven Dolors) and the absence of the Table of Lessons.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
I almost bought the English Office today, but couldn't tolerate the missing propers for some Marian feasts (e.g. Presentation, Queenship, Seven Dolors) and the absence of the Table of Lessons.

I saw this in the outpost of St. Stephen the Great for the first time the other day - it looked very interesting, but still kept all of those strange idiosyncracies of the BCP that prove so annoying. I think I prefer the wider Western pattern in these respects.

I hadn't spotted that the Lectionary was missing, which sounds rather sloppy.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I couldn't find one at any rate. I wanted the substance of the BCP, so that was a "pro" point for me.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the ENGLISH OFFICE quite a bit. It's easy enough to download the English 1922 Revised Tables of Lessons online, or use one of the other UK or US tables.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

Robert Atwell's Celebrating the Saints and Celebrating the Seasons look promising, if you are into a more diverse source of reading. And they are reasonably priced. I don't own copies so I can't say more.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Bartolomeo:
Are any shipmates aware of any other musically-oriented office materials that make use of metrical (rather than chant) settings? I have the RCSM book which includes a number of such settings but which I don't find to be musically satisfying.

Bartolomeo, your other thread is a good idea. Hopefully it is something that can be safely archived along with the daily offices thread.

Are you averse to hymn settings? For instance, Holy God, we praise your name for the Te Deum Laudamus? If not, I could suggest some alternatives from Lutheran Book of Worship and With One Voice, the latter of which deliberately included hymn versions for parts of the daily office, but placed them with the hymnody and did not include the specific offices with the liturgical texts.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Picking up on Ditzyspike's reference earlier to the Short Breviary, does anyone have any experience of this work? I am considering (at some indeterminate point in the future) moving on from my current reading of the Little Office and, in looking for a traditional RC office in a language I can understand, am finding the prospect of this (in the 1941 or 1954 editions, I think) rather appealing. Would you recommend me to consider any other options? Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
tributary
Apprentice
# 12107

- Posted      Profile for tributary   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quick question about Morning and Evening Prayer on Dec. 31. The 1979 BCP has lessons for the first Sunday after Christmas, and MP lessons for 12/31 and EP lessons for "Eve of Holy Name." Given that this year, first Sunday after Christmas and Eve of Holy Name are the same day, which set of lessons takes precedence?

(This problem is going to come up again with Epiphany and Eve of the First Sunday after Epiphany...) [Smile]

--------------------
AND the fire that breaks from the then, a billion
times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

Posts: 42 | From: Lakeview, Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by tributary:
Quick question about Morning and Evening Prayer on Dec. 31. The 1979 BCP has lessons for the first Sunday after Christmas, and MP lessons for 12/31 and EP lessons for "Eve of Holy Name." Given that this year, first Sunday after Christmas and Eve of Holy Name are the same day, which set of lessons takes precedence?

(This problem is going to come up again with Epiphany and Eve of the First Sunday after Epiphany...) [Smile]

The Dec. 31 provision is really for a weekday; this year, it falls away and yields to the Sunday provision (for Morning Prayer) and then the Eve of Holy Name (for Evening Prayer).

Howard Galley's handy-dandy Table of Concurrence (in A Prayer Book Office) says that when Second Evensong of a Lesser Sunday (I Christmas) falls on the same day as First Evensong of a Privileged Feast (Holy Name), the office that evening is that of the Privileged Feast, with nothing of the Sunday.

Ecce Quam Bonum
Shipmate
# 10884

- Posted      Profile for Ecce Quam Bonum   Email Ecce Quam Bonum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was wandering through the diocesan bookstore last week. It was the first time I'd been in there, so I immediately migrated over to the breviaries and prayer books. There were very few significant finds, so I began to move away, but something caught my eye. And there, in green and gilt, I saw a title: The Prayer Book Office. Now, I thought, "Oh, there is absolutely no way." I gently pulled it from the shelf. 1994 edition. Ribbons still tucked neatly into the book.

And then I asked the woman behind the counter the price, and she said that it wasn't even in the computer anymore. So she went to the back room and consulted the old price lists. She tells me that "Well, we payed $38 for it and we were charging $55, but since nobody has so much as asked about it for twelve years, we'll be happy just to get our money back."

So I walked away with a mint copy of the Prayer Book Office that I managed to pay $38 for. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

(Sorry to brag, but no one else I know has actually appreciated the find. [Biased] )

--------------------
"And it is folly—it is madness—to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."--+Frank Weston, "Our Present Duty"

Posts: 168 | From: Sewanee, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Ecce Quam Bonum:
So I walked away with a mint copy of the Prayer Book Office that I managed to pay $38 for. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

[Overused]

Absolutely awesome!

I didn't know there was a 1994 edition. Wow...mine is 1987, when the Lesser Feasts and Fasts antiphons and collects were added in back.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Ecce Quam Bonum:
So I walked away with a mint copy of the Prayer Book Office that I managed to pay $38 for.

<green-eyed smilie here>

My local source is usually good for a stray hymnal on the clearance shelf, but nary a copy of PBO (and believe me, I've checked and re-checked).

That woman behind the counter would be shocked to find that she could have sold it online in a matter of hours for $50 to $100 easily, if not more.

BTW, I think you just sent Scott into a panic. Bartolomeo, it looks like you do have a chance.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
BTW, I think you just sent Scott into a panic.

I've since recovered, but yes, I was in quite a state. Finding a mint PBO on a bookshop shelf and getting it at cost would probably put me over the edge. I'd have to have someone hold the bag containing the book while I did backflips or pirouettes or seizures, or all three. [Yipee] [Eek!] [Yipee]
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

- Posted      Profile for John H   Author's homepage   Email John H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
BTW, I think you just sent Scott into a panic.

I've since recovered, but yes, I was in quite a state. Finding a mint PBO on a bookshop shelf and getting it at cost would probably put me over the edge. I'd have to have someone hold the bag containing the book while I did backflips or pirouettes or seizures, or all three.
Y'know, behaviour like that might just encourage the seller to harden their position on the price. Best save it till you're out of the shop. [Biased]

--------------------
"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart."

Posts: 423 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016