homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily Offices Redux (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily Offices Redux
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Has anyone come across a thing called "The Taize Office" which Faith Press seem to have published some time in the mid 60s?

I've seen a copy of this on sale on eBay in the past. It was used at Taize when the offices were rather more traditional than now, possibly around 1968.

From what I remember from the page scans, the layout of the offices was not unlike the current RC LOH. I think there were orders for Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. I'm not sure which version of the psalter was used, though.

Nowadays, I think the offices at Taize are far more fluid, with less emphasis on a formal breviary or office book.

DIVINE OFFICE

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you have the 'Smart Music Viewer' for your browser, you can get the Marian antiphons (probably in Latin) from the Choral Public Domain Library at www.cpdl.org. Just click on 'Score subcategories' and 'Chant'.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find the 'Smart Music Viewer' for download. There may be no 'free reader' of this format. If someone knows differently, please do tell!

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a web page with a bunch of gregorian chant in latin, including the Marian antiphons, as (free) pdf files. A talented computer person could extract the lines of chant and fit English words under it.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
If you have the 'Smart Music Viewer' for your browser, you can get the Marian antiphons (probably in Latin) from the Choral Public Domain Library at www.cpdl.org. Just click on 'Score subcategories' and 'Chant'.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find the 'Smart Music Viewer' for download. There may be no 'free reader' of this format. If someone knows differently, please do tell!

Try this:
http://www.pucpr.edu/diocesis/Support.html

I have a request also-not sure where to put it-since it concerns the Office I thought I'd ask here: I'm looking for a Marian-focused reading from the Fathers either with a nice allusion to Arabia or the line of "all generations will call me blessed" or about praises from every nation...something like that- if anyone has run across one.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
quote:
Has anyone come across a thing called "The Taize Office" which Faith Press seem to have published some time in the mid 60s?

I've seen a copy of this on sale on eBay in the past. It was used at Taize when the offices were rather more traditional than now, possibly around 1968.

From what I remember from the page scans, the layout of the offices was not unlike the current RC LOH. I think there were orders for Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. I'm not sure which version of the psalter was used, though.

Nowadays, I think the offices at Taize are far more fluid, with less emphasis on a formal breviary or office book.

DIVINE OFFICE

Managed to get my grubby little paws on a copy through this magical interweb thingy.

Turns out to be a rather handsome volume with a trad language version from 1961-ish of what eventually got pared down to "Praise in All Our Days" in the mid 70s. Essentially the structure of office is as per now - psalm, scripture, response - but with full texts for introductions, responses and intercessions.

Contains morning and evening offices for the usual seasons (incl. a version for saints days), with each office taking up about 3 to 4 pages. Good introductory notes make the structure clear (a thing missing from the Mowbrays edition of PIAOD), and advice on how to abbreviate it if necessary. It looks like this

- opening (verses from psalms and NT)
- psalm
- reading (OT morning, Epistle evening)
- responsary
- gospel reading (morning only)
- short V+R, followed by intercessions, collects (one for the week, the other set for particular office), Lords Prayer
- blessing

Has a structure for Midday Prayer, texts for Terce, Sext and None for private use, a Night vigil and a compline (though no real explanation of how to how either Night Prayer or Compline could be used alongside MP and EP, especially as the latter already has provision for vigil of Sundays and Festivals).

Also has a lectionary, which presumably morphed into later RCL work (tho' not sure if this lectionary is a Taize creation) - three year cycle through whole OT, Epistles and Gospels through annually.

Two courses for the psalms - the whole psalter over 6 weeks, a selection over 4, both assuming a threefold office. (Doesn't actually contain a psalter though)

15 OT Canticles and the 3 Gospel Canticles at the back.

It's rather nice - but I can understand why they abandoned it when the hordes descended on them and they needed a different model for common prayer.

Does anyone know if they use a more fixed office outside the times when they have yoof camping in their back garden?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the synopsis of The Taizé Office, Dyfrig. Now I wish I hadn't sold it or given it away or whatever I did with mine. It was in great condition, too. Maybe you have it. Give it back! [Razz]

No, that's OK. I need to reduce, not expand, my library. Yeah, right.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My 3rd Complete edition of 'A Short Breviary' (Ed William Heidt, OSB) arrived. It is a shortened form of the Roman Office.

Keeing the essential form of the eightfold offices, it pared down the tridentine liturgy by taking away the readings, the responsories and the proper texts particular to specific feasts.

Material proper to the first and second class feasts are provided. Other feast days and memorials are commemorated by a collect used in an Ordinary Week's office.

The psalms are arranged in a week's cycle: three psalms or sections at Mattins, another three at Lauds with a canticle, one at the little hours and four at Vespers. The remaining Psalms are arranged for Mattins spread over a course of another three weeks. Psalms and antiphons are pointed to psalm tones. The tones are assigned in place; e.g. 1g is always used as the tone for the first psalm of Mattins.

The translation of the Office hymns are mostly done by Neale and Caswell and will be familiar to those into the English Hymnal.

One scripture reading is provided for every day of the year; one responsory is shared over a period of a week.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
My 3rd Complete edition of 'A Short Breviary' (Ed William Heidt, OSB) arrived. It is a shortened form of the Roman Office.

Thanks for your description of this. I have a somewhat crinkly but otherwise pretty good copy of this complete edition. While I hesitate to criticize the new Benedictine Daily Prayer (which is a successor to A Short Breviary), I think it would have done well to stay close to Heidt's format and include tones, and provide for full use of the psalter. That said, BDP is a most useful and worthy breviary, but the leaving out of many psalms is troubling to me personally.

I'm assuming, of course, that the complete version of Heidt's book has all 150 psalms, but I don't know that for sure.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
I'm assuming, of course, that the complete version of Heidt's book has all 150 psalms, but I don't know that for sure.

I can see from this table that the Complete Edition adds 60 psalms but that some are still missing.
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doing the maths makes me dizzy. The rubrics to Supplement I says "For those who may wish to say all 150 psalms, the psalms, not included in the Psalter follow in nocturn arrangement.

If the red texts says so, it must be right [Big Grin]

I still far prefer the richness of the material in BDP - there's so much to choose from! The Sanctorale is also far more exciting.

I've bought a copy of the Revised Grail Psalter, in hope of scanning it and compiling it into an appendix to BDP, but I don't seem to have time to do it. Picking up the leftovers from Schema A is easy - but to arrange them?

Any takers?

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

I realized that the Short Breviaries follow in the secular office family. BDP departed from it in drawing from a monastic office. It is a good decision.

I don't understand why I am still resisting getting the real 3 or 4 volume books. They are nicely bound, they feel good to the touch, they are pretty comprehensive and portable. And they are the official LOTH.

J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently discovered a series of lessons on Learning to Sing the Psalms by Cynthia Bourgeault, author of the recently published book Chanting the Psalms that has been mentioned by others. From my perusal of the book at a store, the online lessons serve as a good preview. They include sound files; the book has a much more extensive CD.

Blessings,
JSB

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
I recently discovered a series of lessons on Learning to Sing the Psalms by Cynthia Bourgeault, author of the recently published book Chanting the Psalms that has been mentioned by others.

She really likes the Camaldolese tones. Listening to them would be a good preview, too, of the upcoming Lauds and Vespers book from New Camaldoli Hermitage, to be published by Liturgical Press. Any time now...
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be interesting to see if the New Camaldoli Hermitage Lauds and Vespers book uses modern musical notation as shone in Bourgeault's online lessons and books. I found their tones very easy to use and a nice way of dealing with the three-line strophes in the Grail psalms. So far, my main difficulty with the Gregorian notation is knowing what the pitch is. Perhaps I need to invest in a pitch pipe. Sitting at the keyboard detracts from my praying!

JSB

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
It will be interesting to see if the New Camaldoli Hermitage Lauds and Vespers book uses modern musical notation as shone in Bourgeault's online lessons and books. I found their tones very easy to use and a nice way of dealing with the three-line strophes in the Grail psalms. So far, my main difficulty with the Gregorian notation is knowing what the pitch is. Perhaps I need to invest in a pitch pipe. Sitting at the keyboard detracts from my praying!

I believe the notation will be exactly like that. The tones are notated that way in the Italian book from Camaldoli, Italy, too, although the tones for the psalms in Italian typically have one more quarter note at the end, as Italian more often ends on an unstressed syllable (vowel).
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

No doubt it will be in modern notation. I've seen their comb-bound office books before.
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

Did anyone read the Vigil office for St Scholastic from Benedictine Daily Prayer? Amazing set of texts!
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Did anyone read the Vigil office for St Scholastic from Benedictine Daily Prayer? Amazing set of texts!

I've prayed Vigils, Lauds, and Terce from the BDP today, thanks to your reminder. Wonderful readings and antiphons!
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone give me a url to a reliable site that gives the divine office lectionary for US Roman Catholics. I'm particularly interested in the readings for the first week or so of Lent this year.

I'd be much obliged.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tridentine

Novus Ordo

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the urls, LQ, but they're not quite what I'm looking for.

I finally found the readings for Ash Wednesday on the www.breviary.net site, but I have utterly failed to do so on the universalis site.

In any event, I'm looking for a simple table of lections for the divine office for the Lenten season as I can find in an Anglican prayer book of most any stripe and on dozens of web sites. Is it a special charism of the Anglican churches to widely publish its lectionaries?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
In any event, I'm looking for a simple table of lections for the divine office for the Lenten season as I can find in an Anglican prayer book of most any stripe and on dozens of web sites. Is it a special charism of the Anglican churches to widely publish its lectionaries?

It is most certainly a special charism of the Anglican churches to widely publish its daily offices and to expect and encourage members, lay and ordained, to pray them. At least one prominent Roman Catholic scholar (Taft) on the Liturgy of the Hours has written that the current RC office has been a missed chance: while the current Liturgy of the Hours can be obtained and used by laity, it's still set up largely as a breviary for clergy in that it requires procurement of a separate set of books, is complex to navigate, etc.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TSA, the formula for the Universalis site seems to be www dot universalis dot com slash YYYYMMDD slash, thus Ash Wednesday this year would be here.

[fixed link. __AR, Eccles Host]

[ 14. February 2007, 16:07: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks for the urls, LQ, but they're not quite what I'm looking for.

I finally found the readings for Ash Wednesday on the www.breviary.net site, but I have utterly failed to do so on the universalis site.

Here you are. I started with Ash Wednesday and ended with Easter Sunday- the readings are from Exodus for the first 4 weeks and from Hebrews during what used to be Passiontide. The schema does not take into account interruptions by solemnities (St. Joseph and the Annunciation) From Monday within the Easter octave the readings are from the Epistles (Peter)
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Bless you RCD. The ECUSA OT lections are either Deut./Jer. or Gen./Ex. depending on the year. I'm glad I didn't assume there might be commonality. I'm to preach at morning prayer for some of the weekdays in Lent and need to get cracking with the texts.
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

quote:
Bless you RCD. The ECUSA OT lections are either Deut./Jer. or Gen./Ex. depending on the year. I'm glad I didn't assume there might be commonality. I'm to preach at morning prayer for some of the weekdays in Lent and need to get cracking with the texts.

According to the General Instruction for the Liturgy of the Hours, the 2 year cycle (which hasn't yet seen the light of day-though I have heard that there is a list of some sort at the back of Christian Prayer-can't confirm) is supposed to incorporate Deut/Hebrews for Year I and Ex/Lev/Numbers in Year II, with Holy Week occupied by Songs and Lamentations (Year I) and Jeremiah (Year II)
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by RCD:
According to the General Instruction for the Liturgy of the Hours, the 2 year cycle (which hasn't yet seen the light of day-though I have heard that there is a list of some sort at the back of Christian Prayer-can't confirm) is supposed to incorporate Deut/Hebrews for Year I and Ex/Lev/Numbers in Year II, with Holy Week occupied by Songs and Lamentations (Year I) and Jeremiah (Year II)

Indeed, at least some editions of Christian Prayer list the two-year cycle of Biblical readings in back. For a two-year cycle of both Biblical and patristic readings at the Office of Readings, just try to find a copy of each volume of The Word in Season, from Augustinian Press. I believe Saint Meinrad Archabbey uses this series for its lessons at 5:30 a.m. Vigils. Not easy to find this series; I've got most of the volumes but not all, and I'm not sure all of the volumes have ever been published.
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

quote:
quote:

Indeed, at least some editions of Christian Prayer list the two-year cycle of Biblical readings in back.
From where did they get this do you know? Does it follow the format outlined in the General Instruction for the two year cycle or is it something completely different?
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is Monastic Diurnal Revised a good purchase? Is it noted or not?
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
quote:
Indeed, at least some editions of Christian Prayer list the two-year cycle of Biblical readings in back.

From where did they get this do you know? Does it follow the format outlined in the General Instruction for the two year cycle or is it something completely different?
Alas, my regular copy of Christian Prayer is hiding from me. I found only my large-print copy, and the two-year Biblical reading plan is one of the things apparently jettisoned to save space in that edition. But I'm sure it was the same two-year cycle described and frequently mentioned in the General Instruction (which appears in the first volume of the four-volume LoTH).
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Is Monastic Diurnal Revised a good purchase? Is it noted or not?

I thought it good enough to purchase one to use and one to be a backup. [Cool]

It is a very well-done (IMO) successor to Canon Douglas' Monastic Diurnal, although the MDR does look a bit more homemade, as it was homemade by the Community of St Mary rather than sent off to a fancy-shmancy publisher like OUP.

The MDR is partially noted: the ordinary-time antiphons for the Little Hours and Vespers are there, as well as the tones for the Compline psalms. The psalms for offices other than Matins are all pointed using a system that can be used with any tone.

Their Web site promises that they will publish the separate chant book if there is enough interest; apparently my several e-mails haven't tipped the scale yet. But I have a copy (missing one page!) that I bought via e-Bay. I believe Matins (really Matins and Lauds) is never sung, as the psalms aren't pointed, and no chants are given. Terce, Sext, Vespers, and Compline have proper chants in the unpublished chant book. There are additional chants given for solemn Vespers.

I really like the slim Holy Triduum volume; this came in handy several times when I've prayed during the night watch between Holy Thursday and Good Friday in church. One year a fellow parishioner and I chanted Good Friday Matins that night...took the whole hour.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I really like the slim Holy Triduum volume; this came in handy several times when I've prayed during the night watch between Holy Thursday and Good Friday in church. One year a fellow parishioner and I chanted Good Friday Matins that night...took the whole hour.

Thank you Scott! Your sage advice comes in handy so often. I will also order the Holy Triduum volume.

By the way, it would be very nice to be at a parish where one could do something like you mentioned!

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I note that the CofE CW Evening Prayer today (Shrove Tuesday) has some "alleluias" added at the end. I can't find any justification fo this in the CW:DP book, but I assume it's done as a last chance to say the "a" word before Easter. Is this usual (or even correct, by CW:DP standards)?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
I note that the CofE CW Evening Prayer today (Shrove Tuesday) has some "alleluias" added at the end. I can't find any justification fo this in the CW:DP book, but I assume it's done as a last chance to say the "a" word before Easter. Is this usual (or even correct, by CW:DP standards)?

Howard Galley's A Prayer Book Office has this provision as well. Yes, it's a last chance to say Alleluia before Easter.

Scott, who thinks that if "even at the grave we make our song," then also even in Lent, but alas, we have to pretend there's nothing to say alleluia about until then. (I don't like how it's treated like a swear word.)

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thank you Scott! Your sage advice comes in handy so often. I will also order the Holy Triduum volume.
I can't remember if I asked for the Triduum vol., when I ordered my MDR over the phone. I don't think I did, but they kindly sent it along anyway, at no extra charge. [Smile] The hardcover is no longer available; I got a spiral bound copy. I guess I'm glad they did, now that Lent is upon us.
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
quote:
I can't remember if I asked for the Triduum vol., when I ordered my MDR over the phone. I don't think I did, but they kindly sent it along anyway, at no extra charge. [Smile] The hardcover is no longer available; I got a spiral bound copy. I guess I'm glad they did, now that Lent is upon us.
Thanks! Good to know!
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

quote:
I note that the CofE CW Evening Prayer today (Shrove Tuesday) has some "alleluias" added at the end.

Similarly, for Shrove Tuesday Vespers the Saint Helena Breviary has the extra alleluias and even has a hymn about leaving alleluia behind for Lent. One stanza is as follows:

Alleluias we now forfeit
in this holy time of Lent.
Alleluias we relinquish
as we for our sins repent,
trusting always in God's mercy
and in Love omnipotent.

Some churches have a custom of "burying the alleluia," and perhaps these office books are following it to some degree.

Blessings,
JSB

Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hymn 'Alleluia, song of sweetness' is in Hymns Ancient & Modern Revised, though it's not in the New English Hymnal. We have it as the last hymn at Mass on the Sunday Next Before Lent, and during the third verse

Alleluia cannot always be our song while here below;
Alleluia our transgressions make us for a while forego,
For the solemn time is coming when our tears for sin must flow

two children take their landscape-shaped Alleluia banner down the nave and out of church. They will carry it in again during the procession on Easter morning.

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
T.B.Cherubim
Shipmate
# 11582

- Posted      Profile for T.B.Cherubim   Author's homepage   Email T.B.Cherubim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

A rubric in CW:DP on page 423 says:

On Shrove Tuesday, 'Allaluia, alleluia'may be added to the final versicle and response at Evening Prayer.

After Night Prayer on Shrove Tuesday, 'Alleluia' is not said again until Easter Day

--------------------
Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

www.eurobishop.blogspot.com

Posts: 101 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post 
quote:

The Monastic Diurnal Revised also has this provision, which I used last night.

DIVINE OFFICE

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I prayed vespers and matins from the St. Helena Breviary yesterday and today, and found it beautiful. The propers for Ash Wed. were lovely, and the psalms appointed for Wednesdays also fit the occasion. I also loved the hymn with "Alleluias we now forfeit," while singing a gazillion alleluias. I had a hella time trying to sing it though; my range isn't that broad and I can't sight read to save my life.

I figure perhaps this newbie ought to introduce himself by saying that he's been lurking round these parts for a while now, and blames you all for turning him into a breviary junkie like the rest of you. [Razz] My bank account hates you. But a grudging thank you from me though, for all the many tips and insights. [Overused]

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
I prayed vespers and matins from the St. Helena Breviary yesterday and today, and found it beautiful. The propers for Ash Wed. were lovely, and the psalms appointed for Wednesdays also fit the occasion. I also loved the hymn with "Alleluias we now forfeit," while singing a gazillion alleluias. I had a hella time trying to sing it though; my range isn't that broad and I can't sight read to save my life.

I figure perhaps this newbie ought to introduce himself by saying that he's been lurking round these parts for a while now, and blames you all for turning him into a breviary junkie like the rest of you. [Razz] My bank account hates you. But a grudging thank you from me though, for all the many tips and insights. [Overused]

Dear Wilfried:

Welcome to breviary-based bankruptcy! [Biased]

And thank you for mentioning today's offices in the St Helena Breviary. You've reminded me that due to early work obligations I haven't prayed anything at all today, and the SHB will be what I use momentarily to catch up.

We're starting our Wednesday-through-Friday chanted Evening Prayer (Evensong, if you like) at Ascension, Chicago, this evening at 6; I'm looking forward to that and to wearing my new Holy Rood Guild Concelebration Alb with hood, to match the officiant's...his is from the Order of the Holy Cross, of which he's an associate.

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

And Scott, I see you everywhere, the Anglican Breviary list, other blogs, Library Thing, even a review on Amazon. You answered a question I asked on the Monastic Diurnal list. It feels like you're stalking me. You are the guru. [Overused] Nice to finally meet you, sort of.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by T.B.Cherubim:
quote:

On Shrove Tuesday, 'Allaluia, alleluia'may be added to the final versicle and response at Evening Prayer.

After Night Prayer on Shrove Tuesday, 'Alleluia' is not said again until Easter Day

Thank you for the information. Clearly I should have looked harder - in this case, to the page with Collect for the previous Sunday. One of my niggles with CW is the number of different places notes and instructions are shown, making it hard to work out even things that ought to be straightforward (working out which items are mandatory for a Service of the Word, for example).

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
T.B.Cherubim
Shipmate
# 11582

- Posted      Profile for T.B.Cherubim   Author's homepage   Email T.B.Cherubim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you for the information. Clearly I should have looked harder - in this case, to the page with Collect for the previous Sunday. One of my niggles with CW is the number of different places notes and instructions are shown, making it hard to work out even things that ought to be straightforward (working out which items are mandatory for a Service of the Word, for example).
I share the niggles. Also, one of my pet peeves with CW:DP is that with all the options there is no provision for the office of the dead. There are times when, having just heard of the death of a friend or acquaintance for instance, that such an office is what is needed. It is quite a mission to try to piece it together in CW. Any suggestions?

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Also, one of my pet peeves with CW:DP is that with all the options there is no provision for the office of the dead. There are times when, having just heard of the death of a friend or acquaintance for instance, that such an office is what is needed. It is quite a mission to try to piece it together in CW. Any suggestions?

That seems to be part of a general reticence in C of E materials to pray explicitly for the dead.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

I know I haul this tidbit out every Lent when the West immures Praise ye the Lord, but I think it worth pointing out that, in the East, the frequency of Alleluia rather increases during Great Lent.
T.B.Cherubim
Shipmate
# 11582

quote:
That seems to be part of a general reticence in C of E materials to pray explicitly for the dead.

True enough, yet CW Pastoral Services has some very fine suggestions for prayer, both at time of death and before the funeral, quite apart from the funeral liturgies themselves, so I would have thought that a judicious selection of canticles, psalms and prayers, might be possible without harming the sensibilities of some (few?) CoE members.

--------------------

Ana
Apprentice
# 11667

- Posted      Profile for Ana   Email Ana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgive me for what may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to all this, and have noticed that, since we entered Lent, Compline from Common Worship has suddenly become the same every night. Same gospel reading, same psalm, same collect!

Is this actually the case? [Confused] If so, I think it may not be for me.

Posts: 17 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana:
Forgive me for what may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to all this, and have noticed that, since we entered Lent, Compline from Common Worship has suddenly become the same every night. Same gospel reading, same psalm, same collect!

Is this actually the case? [Confused] If so, I think it may not be for me.

Hello, Ana! Welcome! It's good to see somebody else local posting. [Smile]

I'm not over-familiar with the offices in Common Worship (as I never used them in my Anglican days, preferring forms from The Anglican Breviary) but I know that, traditionally, Compline doesn't really vary that much. It isn't a seasonal office, but is simply the night office before bed, and is completely independent of the season or feast. In fact, to my knowledge, the only thing that changes is the psalms, as each day of the week has certain ones set.

[ 23. February 2007, 23:01: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016