homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily Offices Redux (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily Offices Redux
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St. Bertelin, I am quite confident that you will receive a useful answer to your question soon. However, if you would mention the breviary you are using, that answer would most likely be exact and precise.

There was recently a short discussion, thread, or tangent about this issue. I'll try to find it, meanwhile.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
This evening, I have 1st Vespers of the Ascension (Solemnity) colliding with 2nd Vespers of the Invention of the Cross (Greater Feast).

I can't find Invention of the Cross on any of my calendars for today.
You wouldn't because we're on different calendars. You are on the Gregorian calendar, according to which today is the 16th of May. I'm on the Julian calendar, so for me today is the 3rd of May, which is the Feast of the Invention.

I know that I need to make a commemoration, i'm just not sure how exactly to go about doing it. Do I just use the Collect in addition to that of the Ascensiuon, or do I use other things as well, such as the responsory, and so forth? Many thanks.

[ETA - Cross-posted. Thanks, Martin L. I'll have a look now].

[ 16. May 2007, 16:50: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a yahoo! group for a WRO group who says the MONASTIC DIURNAL. St. B., would that help? I can scare it up, if so.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, lukacs. That's really kind. I think I joined it many moons ago but from what I can remember, they're all Antiochians. This is no bad thing but it means that they're on the Revised Julian calendar (essentially the same as the Gregorian calendar for the next 800 years or so), and their ordo and everything is compiled for that calendar and not the Julian calendar (used by the majority of Orthodox [Razz] - sorry fellow Orthodox, I just couldn't resist).

From what I've been able to understand from The Monastic Diurnal, after the Collect of the Ascension, I ought to sing the Magnificat Antiphon from the Invention, followed by the Versicle & Response of the same, and then the Collect of the same.

I'm a bit confused, to be honest, so I'll just do what I think is right for now and then later, I can work out, hopefully with the help of the good people here, how to do a commemoration properly.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
From what I've been able to understand from The Monastic Diurnal, after the Collect of the Ascension, I ought to sing the Magnificat Antiphon from the Invention, followed by the Versicle & Response of the same, and then the Collect of the same.

Yes, you have a Double II Class (Invention) concurring (overlapping II Vespers with I Vespers) with a Double I Class (Ascension). The Table of Concurrence's verdict is "All of the following, Commemoration of the preceding," which refers to what one does today at Vespers.

Today at Vespers, then, after the Collect of Ascension Day is said the Ant. on Magnificat belonging to the Office of the Invention of the Holy Cross. After the Ant. is said the Versicle after the Hymn of the Office of the Invention, and then is said the Collect of the Invention.

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
http://tinyurl.com/2y7xvj
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Speaking of which, Scott (or anyone else), do you know if the yahoo! group for the other Monastic Diurnal (the Farnsborough Abbey one) provides ordos?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
Speaking of which, Scott (or anyone else), do you know if the yahoo! group for the other Monastic Diurnal (the Farnsborough Abbey one) provides ordos?

No, not as such; some members answer questions that come up from time to time, and the moderator sometimes gets answers from Abbot Cuthbert at Farnborough, but there's no weekly ordo.

Here's the group's home page.

[ 16. May 2007, 18:20: Message edited by: Scott Knitter ]

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
quote:

Yes, you have a Double II Class (Invention) concurring (overlapping II Vespers with I Vespers) with a Double I Class (Ascension). The Table of Concurrence's verdict is "All of the following, Commemoration of the preceding," which refers to what one does today at Vespers.

Today at Vespers, then, after the Collect of Ascension Day is said the Ant. on Magnificat belonging to the Office of the Invention of the Holy Cross. After the Ant. is said the Versicle after the Hymn of the Office of the Invention, and then is said the Collect of the Invention.

Thank you! That's what I ended up doing but without the certainty I have now. I'm sure God coped.

We have a simpler system of classification than that employed by the Monastic Diurnal. We simply have Solemnities, Greater Feasts, Lesser Feasts, and Commemorations. I don't think I could manage if we used the MD system.

Yes, lukacs. That's the one! [Smile]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got my Mundelein Psalter today. Going to play, erm, pray with it now. More to come.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Got my Mundelein Psalter today. Going to play, erm, pray with it now. More to come.

Good job you got it on Ascension Day. Enjoy praying it. UPS and the postal service seem to have abandoned me.

Still sitting on my folding chair on the side of the street... [Waterworks]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:

Good job you got it on Ascension Day. Enjoy praying it. UPS and the postal service seem to have abandoned me.

Still sitting on my folding chair on the side of the street... [Waterworks]

It actually arrived DHL, which is quite peculiar but I'll take what I can get. My suspicion is that you won't have to wait much beyond today. I only placed my order about a week ago, and it actually is farther to ship to me than to you.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
It actually arrived DHL, which is quite peculiar but I'll take what I can get. My suspicion is that you won't have to wait much beyond today. I only placed my order about a week ago, and it actually is farther to ship to me than to you.

And sadness turns to joy! [Yipee] DHL have just visited me with a box containing the fatter-than-imagined Mundelein Psalter. I'm about to place the ribbon-markers now, always an enjoyable ritual, unless there are not enough markers. Looks like three here; should suffice, I think.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Huzzah!

Minor tangent: When the bishop is scheduled to celebrate mass, as tonight, who leads the office immediately preceding?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Huzzah!

Minor tangent: When the bishop is scheduled to celebrate mass, as tonight, who leads the office immediately preceding?

I don't know whether there's a rule about it, but it will be led tonight by our usual Thursday officiant, a lay parishioner. I'll report back if this ends up not being the case.

[ 17. May 2007, 20:17: Message edited by: Scott Knitter ]

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scott, I hope you enjoyed the patronal Feast Day of your church.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Scott, I hope you enjoyed the patronal Feast Day of your church.

Thank you! I am looking forward to becoming unchained from my job in about an hour and boarding a train to church, where I shall serve as acolyte. I look forward to seeing lots of visitors there, too. And of course praising our ascended Lord. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone familiar with Daily Prayer by Topping and Hope? It's on sale from OUP (in the US at least) for a good price, but I'm not clear what it is, what it contains, or what it's for. Is it meant to supplement the daily offices, or to be a prayer book in its own right? I can't find much more about it other than is in the short blurb. They claim it's a British classic, so I figured one of the book junkies here could enlighten me. [Biased]

On a tangential note, they're also offering The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer, a most excellent book at a most excellent price ($10.77!). I paid quite a bit more for my copy [Mad] but I can't say I regret it.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops, I misread the description Daily Prayer is a recent reworking of a 1941 text.
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

LTP ships books quickly; the Psalter arrived here in the DC area just a day later. It is certainly a large book, about the same size as the St. Helena Breviary: Monastic Edition. New Camaldoli Hermitage's Lauds and Vespers, which arrived yesterday, is similar to a medium-sized church hymnal. It is organized like a hymnal too, with every item numbered consecutively.

Beyond the differences in size, my initial impressions are that Mundelein is more complete as a prayer book. It includes the scripture readings, intercessions, and collects from the Roman Liturgy of the Hours. New Camaldoli seems more thorough as a music book, with the added benefit of placing the music right there with the texts. However, it does not have scripture readings. Adding a small bible and even a lectionary book would probably still be smaller than Mundelein, if portability is an issue.

I look forward to praying with these books (once I learn to navigate them better) and hearing others' impressions.

Blessings,
JSB

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
I look forward to praying with these books (once I learn to navigate them better) and hearing others' impressions.

Blessings,
JSB

Navigation seems to be rather simple with the Mundelein book, but it works under the assumption that one is familiar with the ordinary of the offices. The handy card with the canticles and the Pater Noster is certainly helpful for this purpose, and it also serves as a decent bookmark. I haven't ordered the NC book, so I can't compare it.

I was rather pleased (and surprised) that the Mundelein book uses the same canticle translations as the LBW canticles with which I am greatly familiar. It has made the transition smooth, along with the very decent Psalter and user-friendly chant notation.

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a few newbie questions - as someone has used the office in various forms for a few months now (mainly Celebrating Common/Daily Prayer and the BCP).

- Firstly, is there a forum somewhere where the liturgy is actually discussed (preferably one where a range of backgrounds/levels of understanding are present). I assumed there might be an Anglican list somewhere, but a hunt around the various Anglican websites does not throw one up.

- What do people do with plurals in the office when praying on their own? Is it just a case of dynamically translating to the singular?

- If I want to incorporate alternate psalms into the office (say in CCP/CDP) is there a source of antiphonal prayers (assuming that is the right word) for each psalm somewhere?

- Does anyone use 'Celebrating the Seasons' - is it useful as another layer of variation, or best avoided?

- What's a good first source of recordings of the various sung bits of the liturgy (Phos Hilaron etc).

- Is there a good, comprehensive and not over baroque guide to Anglican chanting/singing of the Psalms somewhere? [I can read music].

Any other tips you might like to add would be gratefully received [Smile]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
- What do people do with plurals in the office when praying on their own? Is it just a case of dynamically translating to the singular?

Hi christ stiles, welcome.

I can handle one of your questions. Since one isn't really praying the office alone, but in concert with the entire church, there is no reason to worry about plurals. Just pray the words as they are printed.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
- Firstly, is there a forum somewhere where the liturgy is actually discussed (preferably one where a range of backgrounds/levels of understanding are present). I assumed there might be an Anglican list somewhere, but a hunt around the various Anglican websites does not throw one up.

First, welcome! This is the premier source for all things daily office, although there are some Yahoo groups for praying the office using specific resources. Others here can tell you more in that regard.

quote:
It's a matter of personal taste, really. Some just pray the office exactly as it is, assuming that they are praying on behalf of or with the whole church. Thus, it is not so strange to pray "The Lord be with you. And also with you." Others choose to do as you mention, changing things to first person singular. Some others change to first person plural, like HM The Queen ("We are not amused"--or for our purposes "Lord, hear our prayer, and let our cry come before you"). Different people prefer different styles.

quote:
- If I want to incorporate alternate psalms into the office (say in CCP/CDP) is there a source of antiphonal prayers (assuming that is the right word) for each psalm somewhere?
I know that the Lutheran Book of Worship and its new successor Evangelical Lutheran Worship contain a Psalm prayer after each and every Psalm, but one must purchase the Ministers Desk Edition of the former or the Leaders' Desk Edition of the latter to obtain such prayers. They are included directly after each Psalm, and all 150 Psalms are included in both resources.

quote:
Any other tips you might like to add would be gratefully received [Smile]
Beware the "bug" -- we like to call it "breviaryitis" around here. It is contagious, most of us here are already infected, and it will cause you to lose weight in the wallet region. It seems like there's always one more book that we all must have. Just when we think we're all caught up on purchases, somebody here mentions that a monastic order is coming out with an update, a revision, or a noted edition. Then it begins again!

After reading some of the posts here, you'll quickly develop a feel for the "role models" appropriate for your prayer needs.

Again, welcome!

[cross-posted with TSA]

[ 19. May 2007, 23:04: Message edited by: Martin L ]

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cross-posted. What a surprise.

quote:
- Firstly, is there a forum somewhere where the liturgy is actually discussed (preferably one where a range of backgrounds/levels of understanding are present).

You mean besides this one? [Razz]

Seriously, feel free to start a thread on any topic you wish. Discussing liturgy is exactly what Ecclesiantics is for. And we do have a full range of backgrounds and levels of understanding here. Including a full range of curmudgeons of various sorts. No question is too basic or too obscure to elicit a response (well, OK, I can think of a few, but I've been here over seven years and I can still count the duds on one hand).

[ 19. May 2007, 23:06: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I was rather pleased (and surprised) that the Mundelein book uses the same canticle translations as the LBW canticles with which I am greatly familiar. It has made the transition smooth, along with the very decent Psalter and user-friendly chant notation.

I'm pleased with the Mundelein Psalter as well: it fills a long-standing need for an easy-to-use sung LotH. But as happens so often these days, typos emerge disappointingly. I've found a misspelling or two (not terrible), but on p. 488, the pointing of Ps. 47 is wrong and doesn't fit the tone. The italics in the first half of each verse happen one syllable too late.

Overall, though, I've found the pointing more sensitive to the natural syllabic stress than the pointing in many other psalters. Whoever pointed Ps. 47 must have been thinking in a tone other than the one used.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Beware the "bug" -- we like to call it "breviaryitis" around here. It is contagious, most of us here are already infected, and it will cause you to lose weight in the wallet region. It seems like there's always one more book that we all must have. Just when we think we're all caught up on purchases, somebody here mentions that a monastic order is coming out with an update, a revision, or a noted edition. Then it begins again!

Oy veh! How true this is. I've been resisting the Mundelein Psalter for Lo! these many pages, but I'm about to toddle off and gather up my credit card and find the link and add yet another book to the shelf which mockingly suggests that I actually pray the daily offices regularly.

*snort* In God's dreams, maybe.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Oy veh! How true this is. I've been resisting the Mundelein Psalter for Lo! these many pages, but I'm about to toddle off and gather up my credit card and find the link and add yet another book to the shelf which mockingly suggests that I actually pray the daily offices regularly.

I'm finding myself praying the whole LotH today in a rather natural pattern:

• Office of Readings - said, without hymn
  • Morning Prayer - sung, omitting the opening versicle
  • Daytime Prayer - said, without hymn
  • Evening Prayer - sung in full
  • Compline - sung in full

Each office uses only one book, which I find highly optimal. A grumble: Why did someone not run a simple spelling check on the Introduction? Lots of misspellings. Then a careful edit would have caught the missing words and bad punctuation. Always surprising to see this sort of oversight.

[ 20. May 2007, 01:16: Message edited by: Scott Knitter ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
I've found a misspelling or two (not terrible), but on p. 488, the pointing of Ps. 47 is wrong and doesn't fit the tone. The italics in the first half of each verse happen one syllable too late.

Overall, though, I've found the pointing more sensitive to the natural syllabic stress than the pointing in many other psalters. Whoever pointed Ps. 47 must have been thinking in a tone other than the one used.

I'm glad you mentioned Psalm 47. I came across it a couple days ago, but assumed it was just my novice Gregorian chant skills that were causing the problem. Trying to compensate by tying the two notes together for the first half of the tone seemed awkward. Now I feel a slight boost in Gregorian confidence.

Those St. Helena sisters still have me baffled sometimes in their Gregorian system, but the Mundelein Psalter is very user-friendly.

jlg, if it makes you feel better, Mundelein Psalter is a good, hefty purchase. I have been able to avoid the NC book thus far, and I think I'll be able to hold off. Personally, I try to stay with only Anglican and Lutheran resources, but sometimes a RC resource seems just too interesting to pass up. If you like Latin office hymns, the tunes in Mund. Ps. just can't be beat. Suffice it to say there are numerous neumes!

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
It's a matter of personal taste, really. <snip> Thus, it is not so strange to pray "The Lord be with you. And also with you."
Not so fast, there, Martin L. Give me a chance to put my snooty boots on.

It is completely and utterly strange to dialogue with oneself during the office (or the mass, for that matter). If 'tis just thee and the angels at morning prayer, then that bit of dialogue ought to be left unsaid.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
quote:
It's a matter of personal taste, really. <snip> Thus, it is not so strange to pray "The Lord be with you. And also with you."

It is completely and utterly strange to dialogue with oneself during the office (or the mass, for that matter). If 'tis just thee and the angels at morning prayer, then that bit of dialogue ought to be left unsaid.

I was trying to be diplomatic and keep my personal comments to a minimum. Notice I did state "it is not so strange." (I allow for a blip on the strangeness factor meter.) Don't want to be too bold with a first-time poster, I say. Personally, I prefer the "Lord, hear our prayer" that convents used in the place of the aforementioned dialogue.

Sometimes I worry that I've come across as too bold, so I have been trying to keep my comments toned down. This particular issue comes up on occasion, and I just wanted to present a brief summary of the sides people tend to take.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:

I'm frequently the lone visible soul in church on Monday evenings unless a Mass follows (on BCP holy days). Most often I just omit the mutual salutation before the Lord's Prayer and simply finish the Creed and start the Lord's Prayer with nothing between. I do look around first to see whether someone may have floated in silently and needs to be saluted with The Lord be with you.
Ecce Quam Bonum
Shipmate
# 10884

- Posted      Profile for Ecce Quam Bonum   Email Ecce Quam Bonum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I'm frequently the lone visible soul in church on Monday evenings unless a Mass follows (on BCP holy days). Most often I just omit the mutual salutation before the Lord's Prayer and simply finish the Creed and start the Lord's Prayer with nothing between. I do look around first to see whether someone may have floated in silently and needs to be saluted with The Lord be with you.
I'm with Martin L in substituting "O Lord, Hear my prayer" in place of the salutation. To some degree, a bit of liturgical schizophrenia has never bothered me. I figure that I'm at least surrounded by the Great Cloud of Witnesses, so that doesn't make me too crazy, does it? [Cool]

--------------------
"And it is folly—it is madness—to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."--+Frank Weston, "Our Present Duty"

Posts: 168 | From: Sewanee, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was trying to be diplomatic and keep my personal comments to a minimum. Notice I did state "it is not so strange." (I allow for a blip on the strangeness factor meter.) Don't want to be too bold with a first-time poster, I say.
Okay - I was already missing responsive sections of that nature, as they just seemed too odd to read on my own.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post 
Just fired off an order for The Mundelein Psalter. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive in the United Kingdom.

DIVINE OFFICE

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, some breviaries make provision for this explicitly. For example, my 1964 "Hours of the Divine Office")*, preceding the collect gives either

V. Dominus vobiscum./The Lord be with you.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo./And with your spirit.

or

V. Domine, exaudi orationem meam./O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. Et clamor meus ad te veniat./And let my cry come to you.

the latter covering recitation by one alone.

MM

*did you ever find a copy by the way, Divine Office?

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
shkhill
Apprentice
# 11422

- Posted      Profile for shkhill   Email shkhill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone care to recommend an appropriate breviary for me? I used to use the American BCP, but this Lent switched to Christian Prayer (we all need a change from time to time!), and I like it, for the most part. But the office of readings in the volume doesn't cut it, I'm pulling out my Plainsong Psalter for the psalms (gotta sing them, of course), and I've been struggling to sing the canticles as best I can, making it up as I go along.

So, is there one perfect book out there for me?

Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by shkhill:
Anyone care to recommend an appropriate breviary for me? I used to use the American BCP, but this Lent switched to Christian Prayer (we all need a change from time to time!), and I like it, for the most part. But the office of readings in the volume doesn't cut it, I'm pulling out my Plainsong Psalter for the psalms (gotta sing them, of course), and I've been struggling to sing the canticles as best I can, making it up as I go along.

Oh, I think Scott Knitter would probably be the best to suggest something for you, but have you tried either of the following:

Monastic Diurnal Revised (Hold out for the noted edition, which should come out soon. Proofreading has already begun.)

St. Helena Breviary (One must order the Monastic Edition directly from the sisters in order to obtain the chant.)

Both are geared to ECUSA offices, and both come out of EC convents. The first one is good if you prefer the language of the 1979 BCP. The second one retains much of the style and language of the 1979 BCP, but everything is rendered in inclusive language. (It's not as shocking as one would expect, and it is the best rendering I have ever seen in such language. I have grown quite accustomed to it.)

By the way, as many of us can testify, there is no such thing as "one perfect book" for anybody. I suspect that even if we made up our own individual breviaries, we would manage to find fault with them!

[ 20. May 2007, 16:50: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Manipled Mutineer wrote:-

quote:
Also, some breviaries make provision for this explicitly. For example, my 1964 "Hours of the Divine Office")*, preceding the collect gives either

or

MM

Do you mean the SSJE's Hours of Prayer from Lauds to Compline Inclusive, MM? If so, I got a 1961 edition last year.

I also obtained a 1950 edition of The Day Hours of the Church of England. Both are interestingly and charmingly Sarumesque!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

shkhill,

Another breviary worth trying is Benedictine Daily Prayer, published by Liturgical Press. It is based on the current Benedictine office, and allows for Vigils, Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. It uses the revised 1983 version of the Grail psalter, which has moderately inclusive language.

If it was still available I would also suggest the late Howard Galley's Prayer Book Office of 1980, which is basically the 1979 BCP offices with many enhancements for daily use, such as psalm antiphons and some non-scriptural readings. However, this volume is now out of print and second-hand copies command a high price. There was also a second edition in 1987 which I believe incorporated the collects from Lesser Feasts and Fasts .

DIVINE OFFICE

Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, shkhill, welcome to the Ship!

Two of our regular posters here have already made great suggestions, so far be it for me to make some more. I'd agree with the St. Helena breviary, which is the best use of inclusive language I've seen so far. The monastic, not the personal, edition, has the chants. (I have the personal edition with me at the moment.)

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

The English Office has "Kyrie eleison/Christe eleison/Kyrie eleison" right after "The Lord be with you/And with thy spirit," so it's easy for me to drop it.

I'll put my snooty boots away; sorry for the uncalled for aspersions.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
Manipled Mutineer wrote:-

quote:

or

MM

Do you mean the SSJE's Hours of Prayer from Lauds to Compline Inclusive, MM? If so, I got a 1961 edition last year.

I also obtained a 1950 edition of The Day Hours of the Church of England. Both are interestingly and charmingly Sarumesque!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Sorry, didn't make myself clear - I meant "the Hours of the Divine Office in English and Latin" by the Liturgical Press.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Hi MM

No, I haven't managed to get a set of that one yet. However, I believe a reprint by Baronius Press is in prospect. It might possibly be available this year!!!!!

regards DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

shkhill wrote:-

quote:

It is also worth checking out the C of E's new breviary known as Common Worship; Daily Prayer. It ought to be easy enough to order a copy online. However, a major inconvenience with this book is that it does not include a biblical lectionary for the offices; you have to obtain a seperate annual booklet for that, or consult the C of E website. This is a bit of a drawback if one is using the book while travelling.

There is also Celebrating Common Prayer which I think is still in print. This is the "lay" version of the current office book used by the Anglican Society of St Francis, and was the inspiration for Common Worship; Daily Prayer, which is fairly similar.

Unlike CW;DP, the full version of CCP does have a lectionary included, and there are also short readings which can be used by travellers when a bible is not to hand. There were also several abridged versions of CCP, which had shorter forms of Morning and Evening Prayer. However, I'm not certain which of these various editions are currently in print.

It may also be worth considering the newly-published Mundelein Psalter if you are interested in chanting the offices from the current RC LOH. I am eagerly awaiting my copy!!!

I haven't yet seen the newly-published New Camoldoli office book mentioned by other contributors, but it sounds very interesting. Finally, many people have found the St Helena Breviary a very helpful resource, although I suspect it wouldn't be quite the right book for me personally! Worth looking at, though.

I hope this information is of some help.

regards DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just sent an email ordering a copy of the New Camaldolese Office Book. It sounds like a handsome volume as it is printed by Liturgical Press, and will make a lovely shelfmate for The Mundelein Psalter.

Hope they can post it to the UK OK!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
There is also Celebrating Common Prayer which I think is still in print. This is the "lay" version of the current office book used by the Anglican Society of St Francis, and was the inspiration for Common Worship; Daily Prayer, which is fairly similar.

Unlike CW;DP, the full version of CCP does have a lectionary included, and there are also short readings which can be used by travellers when a bible is not to hand. There were also several abridged versions of CCP, which had shorter forms of Morning and Evening Prayer. However, I'm not certain which of these various editions are currently in print.

I think the one that's available from the online booksellers is a recent (2002) edition that serves as the bridge between CCP and Celebrating Daily Prayer, which has a black cover. That one I have.

Basically, the shorter pocket version of CCP which Divine Office alluded to was first published in 1995. It is definitely useful; when I was first praying the Office on a regular basis, I often used this book. It's really a good way to get started.

As for the CCP full version, the copy I got was a 2005 reprint, and the only place that carried it and that could ship it immediately was Church House Bookshop.

Speaking of which, I am putting up my copy of the very similar Daily Office SSF for sale. The material is almost the same as the CCP. PM me if you are interested. (I hope this is allowed.) [Confused]

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

I found this gentleman's daily office customaries and trial liturgies of interest, and thought I might share them:

http://tinyurl.com/2w34be

If anyone has a chance to peruse his customary for a "traditional Anglo-Catholic" '79 BCP Office, may I ask if you know a source for his suggested office hymns, in one volume, in print? It doesn't look like the HYMNAL 1982 covers many of them. For that matter, is his list of hymns actually traditional, and suitable, in your opinion, for a Sunday parish recitation of EP with a hymn?

the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obviously it's just an abbreviated seasonal list. I used the ones listed in the first edition of Ritual Notes in its discussion of the seasons; it matched the Anglican Breviary at least for the ones I cross-checked.

And no, I haven't found a good one-volume source yet. The Mundelein Psalter is actually the closest I've heard of to day but I haven't order my copy yet...cash-flow issues...

[ 22. May 2007, 18:54: Message edited by: the Ænglican ]

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

I didn't know you posted here--thanks! I may try and work those in if I can get Sunday EP going at my parish.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016