homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily Offices Redux (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily Offices Redux
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
I bought Daily Office Readings from the Early Church (based on a recommendation by a Shipmate who shall remain nameless), and it expanded my reading load. [Biased]

One of the great joys of my recent retreat at Saint Meinrad Archabbey was entering with bated breath into the holy of holies, the Scholar Shop (student bookstore) and finding exactly the three volumes of The Word in Season that my collection lacked. I had been under the impression that some volumes were out of print or had never appeared. It appears that this was Volume IV, the Sanctoral, and I have that in a pristine hardcover edition. Only $45 for the three. (This series uses the two-year form of the LotH first-reading lectionary for Vigils/Office of Readings and provides very meaty second readings from sources ancient and modern). It's meant for monastic use but can also mightily beef up one's praying of the LotH or BDP. [Yipee]

Also picked up a packet of materials for chanting the Saint Meinrad psalm tones, including a card with all the tones in a low range (for 5.30am Vigils and Lauds!) and higher one for later, and an organ-accompaniment booklet for both, so I can relive the dreamy, jazzy changes. The tones do grow on one after a while but are a bit too soothing sometimes. The Clyde Monastery sisters use these tones on their podcasts. I'd have to give the prize to the monks, though, for singing in tune and at the right pace, as they should with the composer present at every liturgy!

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the fellows at St. Meinrad really wanted to push their oblates, they should stipulate a symbolic vow of poverty through the keeping of a minimum of breviaries!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks MartinL. The CW suggests the Gloria be omitted if the pslam prayer is used, but again, the Gloria is inimately associated with the Christian use of the psalms. The psalm prayer is a revival. I do like them though, the CW ones I mean. Though CW has very clunky psalms in the first place, the psalm prayer sort of redeems them. First time I ever saw the psalm prayer I think it was in the old 78 Australian prayer book. Very flat, lifeless. These new one are very cool. Have any idea who wrote them?

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
The English Office has a better - that is less confusing - layout, but the lack of the Lesser Hours it is a bit of a downer, as is the fact they give only one office hymn per service.

I use the ENGLISH OFFICE and '28 BCP, and have struggled to find compatible Little Hours (or a single midday hour) and Compline. More often than not I use the forms for Sext and Compline in the old MANUAL OF CATHOLIC DEVOTION and say Psalm 119 over a week at Sext. I tried the Lesser Hours booklet from the Convent Society but got frustrated with all the flipping around.

So, Martin L, that's four books for me as well: the EO, the BCP, the MANUAL, and a Bible. Lately I've tried to cut down to two by using the Holy Cross MONASTIC BREVIARY and a Bible, but sometimes I find the MB calendar a little too US Episcopalian, so to speak.

Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Have any idea who wrote them?

I have only once ever seen the Psalm prayers cited. In Pfatteicher's (US Lutheran) Daily Prayer of the Church, he very diligently gives credit where credit is due. Those prayers come from all over, and I suspect the CW ones do as well. The primary sources for the DPotC prayers are the LOTH and ancient sacramentaries. Some were composed by individuals, and the names are usually recognizable names in the modern liturgical world.

quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
So, Martin L, that's four books for me as well...

Welcome to the club. I'm trying to cut down on books, I really am, but if I'm going to make commemoration of somebody I've never heard of, I like to know a bit more about that person. One day that novel...erm, breviary...will get started!
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

BTW, did anybody notice we passed the number of pages in the old Daily Offices thread in Limbo?
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. Along with noticing that people's questions aren't getting answered.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Yes. Along with noticing that people's questions aren't getting answered.

Perhaps this thread should come with the tagline--If we don't know the answer, then there isn't one.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I asked one directly to Divine Office--I can PM him, as he doesn't seem to have been around lately.
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post 
lukacs wrote:-

quote:
Divine Office, do you still use this volume, and if so, do you supplement Lauds and Vespers with materials for feasts and memorials?
Hi lukacs. Sorry for the delay in replying as I've been a bit preoccupied recently.

I haven't used Fr Stravinskas' Lauds and Vespers volume for a little while. I used it mainly on Sundays and ferias, and tried to use the relevant volume of the full Liturgia Horarum for memorials, feasts and solemnities.

When the Mundelein Psalter came out, I started to use that instead.

Now that the motu proprio has been issued, I might swtich to my Latin Diurnale Romanum !

DIVINE OFFICE

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Thanks, Divine Office.
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Following on from my last post, does the recent motu proprio of Pope Benedict XVI with regard to the Missal of 1962 also permit the use of the Breviary of 1961?

To be more specific, could a Catholic layperson who normally attended NO Masses use this in preference to the Liturgia Horarum if he or she wished to do so?

I apologise if this has already been covered on other threads.

DIVINE OFFICE

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Art. 9. §.2 Clerics ordained "in sacris constitutis" may use the Roman Breviary promulgated by Bl. John XXIII in 1962.

Can someone parse this in terms of its use by the laity?

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Here is a pertinent section from a MP Q&A on EWTN's website http://tinyurl.com/2worqb :

quote:
What about the former edition of the Liturgy of the Hours or Breviary?

Yes, the clergy may use the former Roman Breviary to fulfill their obligation to pray the Liturgy of the Hours or Divine Office.

I presume the logic to be that since the laity are not obligated to pray the Office, there is no need to permit them to say the Roman Breviary; however, it would seem to me that giving clergy permission to fulfill their obligation with the Breviary would affirm its use by the laity by association.

[ 19. July 2007, 17:58: Message edited by: lukacs ]

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Speaking of the MP and the Breviary, I thought the following book might be of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/28hdd5

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Here is a pertinent section from a MP Q&A on EWTN's website http://tinyurl.com/2worqb :

quote:
What about the former edition of the Liturgy of the Hours or Breviary?

Yes, the clergy may use the former Roman Breviary to fulfill their obligation to pray the Liturgy of the Hours or Divine Office.

I presume the logic to be that since the laity are not obligated to pray the Office, there is no need to permit them to say the Roman Breviary.
That's always been my presumption.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is probably a Daily Offices 101 question, but I need someone to ask.

I received as a present from someone who reads the Daily Office three books.

1) A Green book that says, The Prayer Book Office
2) A Black book that says, Contemporary Office Book
3) A Maroon book that says, Reading for the Daily Office from the Early Church.

As when I usually read the offices, which I mean to start doing again, I use my Daily Office books.

I don't know if these are the same as those (Excepting the Early Church book), or different. Can someone help?

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
This is probably a Daily Offices 101 question, but I need someone to ask.

1) A Green book that says, The Prayer Book Office
2) A Black book that says, Contemporary Office Book
3) A Maroon book that says, Reading for the Daily Office from the Early Church.

As when I usually read the offices, which I mean to start doing again, I use my Daily Office books.

I don't know if these are the same as those (Excepting the Early Church book), or different. Can someone help?

You have received a wonderful set of books, and in the case of the PBO, very hard to find. I assume you're using the Daily Office Book (2 vols.) from Church Publishing. The Contemporary Office Book you've been given is the same except with Rite II offices only, and the NRSV readings instead of RSV (Bible version). And all in one volume instead of two. Works the same way as one of your Daily Office Books.

The Prayer Book Office is if you took the Contemporary Office Book and removed all the lesson texts (but include the lectionary tables) and added in all kinds of enrichments: antiphons, suggested hymns, other alterations.

Readings for the Daily Office... is a marvelous collection of additional readings from the Church Fathers and other early-church sources for each day. At our parish, we read the day's lesson from this book as our second lesson at Evening Prayer. I need to go do that now, as I'm the officiant today! [Big Grin]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:

What Scott said, and two things must be noted.

1) The person who gave them to you has really good taste in daily office books

2) The books are valuable. Contemporary Office Book sells for over $100 from Church Publishing, Readings for the Daily Office sells for $40-50, and PBO is a rare gem that is often seen at online auctions for $150-$250. Treasure them!

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

PataLeBon did very well to receive a copy of Howard Galley's Prayer Book Office as it is a very rare and useful work which richly deserves a reprint.

I wonder which edition it was? The first, published in 1980, has references to suggested office hymns in the Hymnal 1940 ,while the second refers to the Hymnal 1982 and includes material from Lesser Feasts and Fasts , as well as extra resources for Lent.

It's a slight pity that the second edition of the PBO didn't include the texts of the office hymns themselves, as well as the Marian antiphons for use after Compline, but it's still a fine breviary. In many ways I prefer it to Common Worship: Daily Prayer.

DIVINE OFFICE

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The copyright on the book says 1980.

I do think that God is telling me to get back to praying. I'm sure that my friend gave me these books because he believed that I would put them to good use.

So I guess I better!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I have copied this from another thread, since this would seem to be the proper place for it:

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace
Posted 17 July, 2007 14:15
An update and a few vaguely related questions, which might be better on another thread but this one's not being used any more [Biased] <snip>

I just got around to your other thread and followed jlg's link here.

Have you considered praying a Missa Sicca on festival days, using the collect and the readings that would be used at the Holy Eucharist?

Here is a good example, but you could basically follow whatever regular order for Holy Eucharist that you use, and just close it up after the Creed with the Intercessions, the Lord's Prayer, the Grace, and Benedicamus Domino.

[ 21. July 2007, 01:14: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While there are interesting things going on elsewhere, I will just try to keep this from falling off page one.

*bump*

Any interesting news in the world of office books?

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

I recommended the Holy Cross MONASTIC BREVIARY in a prior post on this thread, and the monks have now made it a little easier to purchase:

http://tinyurl.com/2heyxo

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
I recommended the Holy Cross MONASTIC BREVIARY in a prior post on this thread, and the monks have now made it a little easier to purchase:

Thanks for the link, lukacs.

So, who can tell me more about the St. Augustine's Prayer Book at the link?

[ 24. July 2007, 02:21: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Actually, it is likely that you won't be able to order the MB for about a month, as the monastery guesthouse (and book shop) is closed for the rest of the summer and the monks are on retreat:

http://priorscolumn.blogspot.com/

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
So, who can tell me more about the St. Augustine's Prayer Book at the link?

I can. I've long considered it my Anglo-Catholic ID card. [Smile]

It's "A Book of Devotion for members of the Episcopal Church," Revised Edition, 1967. Contents:

• The Christian's Obligations
  • Lay Baptism
  • Common Forms of Prayer
  • Morning, Mid-day, and Evening Prayers
  • Various Prayers
  • Praise and Thanksgiving
  • The Mass [per the 1928 BCP and Anglican Missal...the basic order]
  • Devotions for Holy Communion
  • Spiritual Communion [I use this at the monastery where I'm an oblate]
  • The Sacrament of Penance [with an awesome list of sins for exam. of conscience]
  • Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament
  • Visits to the Blessed Sacrament
  • Stations of the Cross
  • Prayers in Sickness
  • Prayers for the Sick
  • Communion of the Sick
  • Prayers for the Dying
  • Prayers for the Dead
  • Requiem Mass
  • Absolution of the Dead
  • Devotions to the Holy Trinity, Holy Ghost, Sacred Heart, BVM, St Joseph, and Holy Angels
  • Various Litanies
  • Novenas
  • Visit to the Christmas Crib
  • A Devotion on the Passion
  • The Holy Hour

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
I can. I've long considered it my Anglo-Catholic ID card. [Smile]

Oh, that does ring a bell. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the list!

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scott, I've got one of those and the guy two offices down has an even older, black covered one. The basic difference is the omission of the 43rd Psalm in the preparation, reflecting the Mass of Vatican II, the one between Trent and Novus Ordo, the same as in the glued in supplement to the last edition of ritual notes.

Just last night I was going through the Office with an RC friend. The only examples of the New Divine Office of the RCC was in the "Pocket Manuel of Anglo-Catholic Devotion". It has Lauds and Gidget Goes to the Convent". Vespers for Sundays.

The Saint Augustine's Prayer Book is a wonderful book. I think the "Manuel of Anglo-Catholic Devotion" and its shorter off spring have tried to fill in the gap, but haven't quiet succeeded.
Maybe making a new devotional book might be a project for us here on SofF.

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Did anyone else click on the photo gallery link from the monks' home page, then on Br Bernard's photos, and marvel at the number of pictures of scantily-clad young ladies dancing?

I daren't click on Br Randy's photos!

Dave

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
quote:

Did anyone else click on the photo gallery link from the monks' home page, then on Br Bernard's photos, and marvel at the number of pictures of scantily-clad young ladies dancing?

I daren't click on Br Randy's photos!

Dave

Custody of the eyes, man! Custody of the eyes! [Biased]

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the Ænglican:
Custody of the eyes, man! Custody of the eyes! [Biased]

I take it you looked, then ;-)
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Scott, I've got one of those and the guy two offices down has an even older, black covered one. The basic difference is the omission of the 43rd Psalm in the preparation, reflecting the Mass of Vatican II, the one between Trent and Novus Ordo, the same as in the glued in supplement to the last edition of ritual notes.

Glued-in supplement? I didn't get a glued-in supplement. [Waterworks]
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Bump.

I guess I'm good at killing threads. This one was allowed to drop below the fold while I was out of town at the weekend.

[Frown]

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Here's another Collegeville English Lauds, Vespers, and Compline (1960 rubrics):

http://tinyurl.com/3xmpf5

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question for those who have The Mundeline Psalter:

I was under the impression that the music for the Gospel Canticles had intoning notes (I think that's what you call them -- the rising notes prior to the reciting note) at the beginning of each line (in contrast with the tones for the psalms, which lack this). But I notice that this is not true in The Mundeline Psalter. Was I mistaken about this being the custom?

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FCB:

I was under the impression that the music for the Gospel Canticles had intoning notes (I think that's what you call them -- the rising notes prior to the reciting note) at the beginning of each line (in contrast with the tones for the psalms, which lack this). But I notice that this is not true in The Mundeline Psalter. Was I mistaken about this being the custom?

I don't have the Mundeline Psalter (yet)--but you are not mistaken. The Gospel Canticles always include the intonation. And, if I recall correctly the Venite does as well.

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The good people at the Lancelot Andrewes Press, who brought us the reprint of The Monastic Diurnal, have been teasing us for some time with talk about a reappearance of the companion volume containing Benedictine Matins. It apparently hasn't been a top priority but Subdeacon Benjamin intimated on his blog some time ago that progress may be spurred on if they were to receive correspondence from parties interested in it.

For those interested, their e-mail address is info@andrewespress.com. Many thanks.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:

That's the custom with the traditional Gregorian psalm tones, but not with simplified ones like the St Meinrad tones (whether four-line ones or the two-line Mundelein Psalter ones). These latter tones are used in the same way in the Gospel canticles as they are in the psalms.
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone prayed with the “eCP: electronic Common Prayer” software for Palm devices?

The following description appears on the product page:

eCP: electronic Common Prayer is a downloadable application for PalmOS handheld devices that puts services of the Book of Common Prayer and Daily Office readings at your fingertips. The calendar screen shows today's date; the current liturgical season and color; the commemoration of the day; hyperlinked collects, prefaces, and full texts of Daily Office lessons, psalms, and gospel readings. The hyperlinked BCP services give you flexibility for hospital calls, outdoor celebrations, camp and daily personal devotions.

As noted in the Reference Guide, eCP also includes the canticles from Enriching Our Worship. I like having many canticles, but nearly all the office books that have them require juggling a Bible and often an ordo/lectionary as well. Thus, I’m intrigued by this software that simplifies the mechanics. I plan on downloading the trial version when I have more time but am curious to hear of any experiences/opinions in the meanwhile.

Thanks, and God bless,
JSB

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have always tended to regard the follow three books as being sympthomatc of chronic Anglo-Catholicism

1. The St. Augustine's Prayer Book
2. The Priest's Manual
3. Either the old "Prayer Book Office" or "The English Office" or "The Anglican Breviary."

But that's just me.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
Has anyone prayed with the “eCP: electronic Common Prayer” software for Palm devices?

Yes, and I'm told there will eventually be a version for PocketPC (Windows Mobile).

I have eCP on my Palm T|X, and I've used it many times while riding public transport. It could be made a bit smoother in terms of navigation, and one gets the impression eCP hogs a lot of system resources, but there are monthly updates that have been improving the performance. You really do have everything you need to pray the office, including several months of lectionary readings. Takes a bit of practice to get facile with the click sequence necessary to move through the offices.

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

Over in Styx there talking about whether or not the Daily Office Thread should become its own board.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not going to become it's own board, but the observation that this thread has become way too long and is therefore unfriendly to newcomers to the subject is quite valid.

I've been thinking for a number of weeks now that it was time to start afresh.

So be it.

jlg/Ecclesiantics host

ETA link to Daily Office Refreshed

[ 02. August 2007, 01:30: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016