homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C. H. Dodd was a widely recognised conservative, protestant scholar and he dealt with the context in which words were used, not just a single dictionary definition.

It could well be that NT writers and preachers used woerds that their audiences were familiar with - but then developed an argument - as I have suggested above re blood = life.

The Hebrew sacrificial sustem was not about an animal bearing people's sins - the scapegoat was not killed but sent away. It couldn't be offered to God because it was cursed - just as Jesus would have been seen as cursed because he hung on a tree and Paul has to go to lenghths tp explain his way out of that. The sacricial system was about the life of an animal covering/blotting out sins, not being killed insesad of humans.

This, of the two theories of atonement that get confused with each other, the sacrificial theory is nearer to scripture (especially the letter to the Hebrews) than the juridical (PSA) one. (Mind you, the juridical one would be easier understood by Gentile Romans.)

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dobbo
Shipmate
# 5850

- Posted      Profile for Dobbo   Email Dobbo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
C. H. Dodd was a widely recognised conservative, protestant scholar and he dealt with the context in which words were used, not just a single dictionary definition.

It could well be that NT writers and preachers used woerds that their audiences were familiar with - but then developed an argument - as I have suggested above re blood = life.

The Hebrew sacrificial sustem was not about an animal bearing people's sins - the scapegoat was not killed but sent away. It couldn't be offered to God because it was cursed - just as Jesus would have been seen as cursed because he hung on a tree and Paul has to go to lenghths tp explain his way out of that. The sacricial system was about the life of an animal covering/blotting out sins, not being killed insesad of humans.

This, of the two theories of atonement that get confused with each other, the sacrificial theory is nearer to scripture (especially the letter to the Hebrews) than the juridical (PSA) one. (Mind you, the juridical one would be easier understood by Gentile Romans.)

Are you denying that expiation has punishment included in its meaning - ie are you disputing the Cambridge's Dictionary definition of expiate?

The other aspect I am not clear about is my understanding of the cross was Christ was our great high priest , shedding His own precious blood on the mercy seat - as the high priest would sacrafice once a year - and to support this thinking that is why the viel in the temple was torn in two - signifying that the atonement was completed on the cross (Mark 15 v 38) and notably it was torn from top to bottom - ie from God to man. Was it a coincidence that the viel was torn immediately after Christ died - and if so why did the NT writers think it appropriate to include it in scripture?

Dodds is one man - no references provided, - I could pick several other protestants that would come to the exact opposite opinion. I could pick up what Joseph Smith says - is does not make my argument valid that is why we have to drill down to the actual verse and to the meanings of the individual words.

Another thought when Christ cried "why have you forsaken me" - does that not sound like God had to deal with sin in that manner and could not be in the presence of sin (as Ghrist was made sin) and is not separation from God the ultimate punishment when this world ends.

--------------------
I'm holding out for Grace......, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity
Bono

Posts: 395 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog, Dobbo, mentioned in dispatches for carrying on the good fight. For being truly liberal and inclusive. Zen Christianity. Yes AND. Most AGREEABLE. Not like liberals falsely so called with single, exclusive, closed interpretations. Pseudo-intellectual, esoteric, eisegeses even.

And if Christ's death doesn't pay for my sin, what will?!?! If even the death of God's son on my behalf isn't good enough, what can be? And if it's unnecessary, if I'm forgiven without it ... what's it a sacrifice for? If I don't need it, I don't want it. I'd rather it wasn't necessary in the first place regardless. If I don't need it I don't have to acknowledge it surely?

Surely I'm ENTITLED to eternal life? Sorry or not? Sorry for what? 'Sin'?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Afghan
Shipmate
# 10478

- Posted      Profile for Afghan   Email Afghan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

According to the Talmud the goat of Azazel was killed - by being pushed off a cliff. Not sure it makes very much difference to the overall thrust of the argument though.

--------------------
Credibile quia ineptum

Posts: 438 | From: Essex | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Martin NPCASB
And if Christ's death doesn't pay for my sin, what will?!?! If even the death of God's son on my behalf isn't good enough, what can be? And if it's unnecessary, if I'm forgiven without it ... what's it a sacrifice for? If I don't need it, I don't want it. I'd rather it wasn't necessary in the first place regardless. If I don't need it I don't have to acknowledge it surely?
Surely I'm ENTITLED to eternal life? Sorry or not? Sorry for what? 'Sin'?

Martin, as I understand it, you are conflating two issues here, forgiveness and eternal life. You are indeed forgiven freely, as am I, as is everybody else. That forgiveness is freely available, from the heart of God, without precondition, and would have been so available whether or not Jesus had died. But that forgiveness is insufficient to bring us eternal life. Why? Because eternal life is not denied us as a punishment by God for our sins, nor even is it anything to do with God's holiness. Rather, we could not have attained eternal life except by the Cross and Resurrection because we are, in our natural nature, subject to what Paul calls the law of sin and death. Read Romans 7 and 8 and Colossians. Our human nature is subject to decay, like spiritual entropy. Unchecked, this disease of our being leads to death. We are bound in its grip. True, it leads us to sin, but the sin is incidental. Forgiveness treats the symptoms but doesn't effect a cure. That could only be done by God incarnate entering into his creation and defeating the "law" which oppresses us, from within.

So, you might say, why that particular death? Why the humiliation, why the gore? I believe it is because it is in humility, rather than in the power which He clearly has to dissolve the universe in an instant, that the awesome power of the creator is released in greatest fullness. Do we deserve eternal life? I never suggested that we did, but that's grace for you.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First class JJ, thank you. & I don't even know, as it's a long thread, whether you countenance PSA or not! Brilliant!! Your response does not exclude or deny it.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Afghan:
According to the Talmud the goat of Azazel was killed - by being pushed off a cliff.

Two goats. One dies, the other escapes. Hence "scapegoat".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So did I miss it, or has the Bishop of Willesden made a public apology to Jeffrey John for his overly hasty evaluation of a talk that Dean John had not yet given?

Apparently, Dean John got quite a bit of hate mail as a result of the comments by +Broadbent, +Wright, and +Benn. Does Christian charity require them to ask forgiveness?

--------------------
Sister Jackhammer of Quiet Reflection

Posts: 886 | From: Sweet Tea Land, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

- Posted      Profile for Mystery of Faith   Email Mystery of Faith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paige:
So did I miss it, or has the Bishop of Willesden made a public apology to Jeffrey John for his overly hasty evaluation of a talk that Dean John had not yet given?

Apparently, Dean John got quite a bit of hate mail as a result of the comments by +Broadbent, +Wright, and +Benn. Does Christian charity require them to ask forgiveness?

I would imagine the Bishop of Willesden would consider that beneath his dignity, after all he clearly considers that Jeffrey John isn't a proper Christian [Biased]
Posts: 101 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery of Faith:
I would imagine the Bishop of Willesden would consider that beneath his dignity, after all he clearly considers that Jeffrey John isn't a proper Christian [Biased]

Ahhh...but does +Broadbent consider himself a proper Christian? [Two face]

--------------------
Sister Jackhammer of Quiet Reflection

Posts: 886 | From: Sweet Tea Land, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

- Posted      Profile for Mystery of Faith   Email Mystery of Faith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, perhaps we should e-mail him to find out. He's at bishop.willesden@btinternet.com ...well he is when he's not busy reading the Telegraph anyway.
Afghan
Shipmate
# 10478

- Posted      Profile for Afghan   Email Afghan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:Two goats. One dies, the other escapes. Hence "scapegoat".
Hmmm... I'd be wary of using the language of the King James Version to reconstruct the Levitical rituals of Bronze Age Israel. There's nothing obvious about Azazel (in the Hebrew) or Apopompe (in the Septuagint - meaning 'led away' I think) to suggest escape.

This is the passage from the Talmud. Some of the details - although not the death - are also corroborated in the Epistle of Barnabas. The Epistle of Barnabas is somewhat unique among early Christian writings in overtly identifying Christ with the goat of Azazel rather than the sin-offering.

--------------------
Credibile quia ineptum

Posts: 438 | From: Essex | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoting the Talmid might impress me but it will certainly not impress evangelicals, who keep to scripture - in scripture, the scapegoat was banished to the wilderness.

BTW, I have finally got round to hearing Jeffrey's talk (having a backlog of recorded radio programmes to work through) - I thought it was sound and somewhat conservative.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paige:

The answer is "no".

Pete (as well as the bishops of Lewes and Durham) made fools of themselves by responding so willingly to the bait offered by the Telegraph journalist. In reality, Jeffrey John said nothing that was so out of line with "Mystery of Salvation" (which +Durham contributed to!) - certainly nothing that required such a drastic and extreme response.

The right thing to do would be to apologise for their hasty comments. I have, though, no expectation that they will do so.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my Bible Dictionary (T&T CLark) in NT times the goat was pushed backwards off a cliff 12 miles to the east of Jerusalem to be dashed to pieces on the rocks below.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boviwanjoshobi
Shipmate
# 11206

- Posted      Profile for Boviwanjoshobi     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Apostle Paul said that one person dying for another is rare, though for a good man someone may possibly die (Rom 5:7).

But God publicly demonstrates his love for us in that Christ dies for us when we are sinners (Rom 5:8), powerless (Rom 5:6), and his enemies (Rom 5:10). Such love is unheard of.

‘Christ died for us’, is central to the message of the gospel. He substitutes for us, taking on, and paying for our sin so that we might be clothed with the righteousness of God.
This is the gospel. It is the basis of a person’s forgiveness and the same basis of an assured eternal relationship with God.

If we deny this, we rip out the heart of Christianity and we have a different religion entirely.

Posts: 166 | From: Lake Macquarie | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

quote:
Originally posted by Boviwanjoshobi:

If we deny this, we rip out the heart of Christianity and we have a different religion entirely.

I think you need to pick up a decent Theology text book mate.
John Spears
Shipmate
# 11694

- Posted      Profile for John Spears   Email John Spears   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To a 'reformed conservative evangelical' that IS the gospel - but we've been through this already on the earlier pages. We are well aware that your theological system falls down if you take PSA out of the link, so ... to you...... PSA is the gospel.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He did. The book of Romans. And applied non-esoteric, non-intellectualist and perfectly valid Christian thinking to it.

[ 19. April 2007, 09:41: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
He did. The book of Romans. And applied non-esoteric, non-intellectualist and perfectly valid Christian thinking to it.

I didn't deny it was a valid piece of Christian thinking, I simply question that it is the only way of Christian thinking.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

While it is true that the book of Romans is easily understood to confirm PSA, you really do have to add non-intellectualist to that understanding to make it work. All Romans does is compare Christ's accomplishment with the Old Testament sacrifices. What PSA supplies is the idea that the way to understand these sacrifices is as a substitutional atonement for sin - and that they actually did in some way pay sin's price.

I think that one of the points being made on this thread is that this is not actually a valid way to understand the way that sacrifices work. Even if this may have been the way that they worked in the minds of many ancient Israelites, it is impossible that they could have ever actually worked that way. Killing things simply can't "pay" for sin.

Furthermore, it doesn't take an intellectualist or esoteric interpretation to show that the Bible's central message is that people should believe in and obey God - and that PSA defeats that central message by denying the human ability to do this.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
...the Bible's central message is that people should believe in and obey God - and that PSA defeats that central message by denying the human ability to do this.

I don't follow this.
Can you expand on it a little?

I believe in PSA and think it is very important that we should believe in and obey God.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
...the Bible's central message is that people should believe in and obey God - and that PSA defeats that central message by denying the human ability to do this.

I don't follow this.

I believe in PSA and think it is very important that we should believe in and obey God.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:

I don't follow this.

PSA means that salvation does not depend on believing in and obeying God, rather it depends on the imputation of Christ's merit. Or put another way:
quote:
12. We affirm that the doctrine of the imputation (reckoning or counting) both of our sins to Christ and of his righteousness to us, whereby our sins are fully forgiven and we are fully accepted, is essential to the biblical Gospel (2 Cor. 5:19–21).
We deny that we are justified by the righteousness of Christ infused into us or by any righteousness that is thought to inhere within us.

14. We affirm that, while all believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and are in the process of being made holy and conformed to the image of Christ, those consequences of justification are not its ground. God declares us just, remits our sins, and adopts us as his children, by his grace alone, and through faith alone, because of Christ alone, while we are still sinners (Rom. 4:5).
We deny that believers must be inherently righteous by virtue of their cooperation with God’s life-transforming grace before God will declare them justified in Christ. We are justified while we are still sinners."The Gospel of Jesus Christ: An Evangelical Celebration"

Yet Jesus said that salvation does depend on believing in and obeying God.

The question is whether you are first justified and THEN stop sinning. Or whether you stop sinning first and then are justified.

PSA declares the first - leading to the quandaries over whether someone is really saved if they behave badly after their supposed salvation.

I think, though, that the Bible declares the second. You are not saved while still sinning. You need to stop sinning.

In any case, that's what I mean.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boviwanjoshobi:
‘Christ died for us’, is central to the message of the gospel.

Yes.

quote:
He substitutes for us,
No.

Those are not equivalent. You make a huge leap going from the first to the second. A leap which I cannot make given what I read in the Bible, let alone what I learn from the Church's teachings down through the centuries.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ponty'n'pop
Shipmate
# 5198

- Posted      Profile for Ponty'n'pop   Email Ponty'n'pop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Mousethief said above.

cf: "I played the violin for my grandmother"

--------------------
"....creeping around a cow shed at 2 o'clock in the morning. That doesn't sound very wise to me"

Posts: 236 | From: South Wales | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That's works. Salvation by works.

--------------------
Love wins

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
That's works. Salvation by works.

Is that what Jesus said?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

It's what you said: 'You are not saved while still sinning. You need to stop sinning.'

--------------------
Love wins

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...intellectualist and perfectly valid Christian thinking to it.

Boy, you've got something against 'intellectualism' haven't you? Why, out of interest, do you suppose God bothered giving us minds?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It's what you said: 'You are not saved while still sinning. You need to stop sinning.'

Isn't that what Jesus said?
quote:
“Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20“Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22“Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ Matthew 7.19-23

Does this fairly represent Jesus' teaching?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Dunno mate, why do you think? The vast majority of Christians are NOT intellectuals. Not liberals. Not rationalists. And they ALL have minds. From the founder onwards. I wonder why that is? And the vast majority of intellectuals aren't Christian. And the vast majority of those here who reckon they are Christian intellectuals ... aren't. Because they haven't engaged, won't and can't engage in the dialectic. And many are intellectualist. Esoteric, exclusive, elitists. Sigh ... self-censorship applied there.

I am just so disappointed, so very faithlessly afraid, so depressed, so angry, so middle-aged, so afflicted.

It's not you DOD.

I want to say something positive and inclusive and challenging and advancing and reconciling and hopeful but I can't.

Good night.

--------------------
Love wins

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One doesn't need to be a liberal, an intellectual or a rationalist* to believe that it is no bad thing to think about faith. One needs simply to think that it is good for human beings to do characteristically human things, that thought is characteristically human, and that faith does not contradict reason.

*Whatever those words actually mean. In the UK they tend to be words for Bad Things in the eyes of Daily Mail readers.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
One doesn't need to be a liberal, an intellectual or a rationalist* to believe that it is no bad thing to think about faith. One needs simply to think that it is good for human beings to do characteristically human things, that thought is characteristically human, and that faith does not contradict reason.

*Whatever those words actually mean. In the UK they tend to be words for Bad Things in the eyes of Daily Mail readers.

Well, there is a very simple, non-intellectual way of putting things: God loves me, God loves you, God loves everyone.

From where I sit, it's the thinking-about-God-people who try to make sure that The Wrong People (tm) don't think that God loves them. That's what all this stuff about "You have to have the right atonement theory" is all about at the end of the day, isn't it? To make sure that The Wrong People don't dare to think that God will have anything to do with them?

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

No it bloody isn't. If the "left" and the "right" have atonement theories and the left's is less inclusive (any thing EXCEPT PSA) than the right's (PSA+), how can the right's be about excluding any one from the love of God?

I dunno, a woman thinking is like a dog walking on its hind legs.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And are you JUSTIFIED by bearing good fruit Freddy?

--------------------
Love wins

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:

From where I sit, it's the thinking-about-God-people who try to make sure that The Wrong People (tm) don't think that God loves them.

Yeah, that's right. The problem with Fred Phelps is that he's just way too intellectual.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the vast majority of those here who reckon they are Christian intellectuals ... aren't.

You have a window into human souls now? When did you get permission to set criteria for who is or isn't a Christian intellectual? If I were a Christian intellectual, I might be entirely nonplussed by your condemnation.

quote:

Glad you think so highly of over half the human race.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:

Is this something that we are supposed to know with certainty? Are you good at your job? Are you a good citizen? Are you a good friend?

We can have an idea about these things - and in fact the clearer idea the better. But thinking we know the answer to these questions with certainty is unrealistic.

Jesus is the one we are supposed to trust. Why not accept His version of how salvation works?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:

Alternatively, if I misunderstood you above, why do you use the word "justified"? This isn't the usual term that Jesus uses.

You know the Bible says seemingly contradictory things about justification, having slightly different shades of meaning.

On the one hand:
quote:
Matthew 12:37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Luke 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Romans 2:13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?

James 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

James 2:25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

Whereas other passages seemingly teach the opposite:
quote:
Acts 13:39 By Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

Galatians 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

So you can argue justification either way. The apparent contradictions are not that hard to explain.

But this isn't the way that Jesus usually speaks of it. He talks about "entering the kingdom of heaven", "entering into life" or "eternal life", "entering through the gates into the city", receiving "eternal salvation", and similar terms. All of these are said by Him to depend on what we do. Why ignore what He says?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Freddie,

Jesus was preaching to Jews - people wo knew the truth about God as they had received it, pople who were part of the covenant people. His words apply to people who belong to God already, not to humanity in general. The people who say they belong to God and yet bear no fruit are deemed 'unknown'. The verses you quote do not say 'bear fruit and I will decide to save you'.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No it bloody isn't. If the "left" and the "right" have atonement theories and the left's is less inclusive (any thing EXCEPT PSA) than the right's (PSA+), how can the right's be about excluding any one from the love of God?

The popular version of PSA doesn't include any other theory of atonement. The vast majority of the Anglican right who think that the rest of the community aren't really Christians (e.g Reform and Anglican Mainstream(sic)) argue that it's PSA only; read "Where Wrath and Mercy Meet" edited by David Peterson.

And that last comment was unworthy of you, Martin.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
quote:

From where I sit, it's the thinking-about-God-people who try to make sure that The Wrong People (tm) don't think that God loves them.

Yeah, that's right. The problem with Fred Phelps is that he's just way too intellectual.
DOD, I was born into really very hard-core Lutheran fundamentalism. I certainly don't agree with that movement any longer, but most of their ministers could give Methodist ministers a run for the money in terms of being very widely theologically read. Same thing, I believe, for the conservative Reformed movement in the US.

Fundamentalists range from the ignorant to the highly educated and so do liberals.

But at the end of the day, I can only acknowledge that all my best theological guesses are nothing but best guesses. There IS something about theology that is about angels dancing on the head of a pin. If we ever start thinking that "anyone who doesn't accept X theory of atonement is going to hell", IMO, we're in trouble.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The popular version of PSA doesn't include any other theory of atonement. The vast majority of the Anglican right who think that the rest of the community aren't really Christians (e.g Reform and Anglican Mainstream(sic)) argue that it's PSA only; read "Where Wrath and Mercy Meet" edited by David Peterson.

I have. And it doesn't say any such thing. It says that PSA is the central model, essential for understanding the others. This is similarly what Stott's Cross of Christ says, and the book about the atonement by Leon Morris and Jim Packer in his definitve essay "The Logic of Penal Substitution". I have yet to meet an evangelical, scholar or other wise who thinks that Jesus taking our punishment, is the ONLY thing happening on the cross.
Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
I have. And it doesn't say any such thing. It says that PSA is the central model, essential for understanding the others. This is similarly what Stott's Cross of Christ says, and the book about the atonement by Leon Morris and Jim Packer in his definitve essay "The Logic of Penal Substitution". I have yet to meet an evangelical, scholar or other wise who thinks that Jesus taking our punishment, is the ONLY thing happening on the cross.

I have a LOT of time for Packer's view, specifically because he rejects the idea of retributive justice, but I then wonder why it's actually PSA?

I don't think that conservative theologians think that "Jesus taking our punishment is the only thing that happens on the cross". The way I understood the book, the argument is something like "PSA incorporates all the other ideas that other atonement theories hold; it is the one complete theory of atonement". I read some people as thinking that other theories of atonement just confuse the issue and should not be expressed. Is my reading unfair in your view?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And that last comment was unworthy of you, Martin.

He wasn't making it, he was quoting it, as a sort of allusion. Maybe Martin's postings are easier to follow if you think of them as a sort of free verse [Biased]

Actually I have to confess I find them quite easy to follow. I think he thinks in ways similar to me. But I've got a sort of copy-editor module somewhere in my brain that re-arranges the words into a semblance of functional prose before I type.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Freddie, Jesus was preaching to Jews - people wo knew the truth about God as they had received it, pople who were part of the covenant people. His words apply to people who belong to God already, not to humanity in general.

Oh. I didn't know that. [Confused]

Is it possible for you to quote any source that might explain that? Or even state it? I find it a little incredible. [Paranoid]

I've never heard that Jesus' words only applied to Jews - or are you only saying that Jesus' words about salvation only apply to Jews?
quote:
The verses you quote do not say 'bear fruit and I will decide to save you'.

Sure they do.

Jesus said that we abide in Him if we keep His commandments:
quote:
John 15.5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Jesus also said that "abiding in Him" is to "eat His flesh" and "drink His blood":
quote:
John 6:56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
This is who is saved, or "has eternal life" and this is who He raises up at the last day. He raises up all who "abide in Him" or who "eat His flesh and drink His blood" - and these are those who keep His commandments:
quote:
John 6:54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
So, yes, Jesus says "bear fruit and I will save you." Or do you read those passages differently?

Or maybe, if this only apply to Jews, it doesn't matter what Jesus says. [Confused]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
He wasn't making it, he was quoting it, as a sort of allusion.

What was he quoting, or alluding to? My reaction was the same as Seeker's. [Confused]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:

I have a LOT of time for Packer's view, specifically because he rejects the idea of retributive justice, but I then wonder why it's actually PSA?
That sent me scurrying for my copy of his essay. In it he says "my sins merit ultimate penal suffering and rejection from God's presence" as a summary of his view on justice in PSA. How is that not retributive?
quote:

I don't think that conservative theologians think that "Jesus taking our punishment is the only thing that happens on the cross". The way I understood the book, the argument is something like "PSA incorporates all the other ideas that other atonement theories hold; it is the one complete theory of atonement". I read some people as thinking that other theories of atonement just confuse the issue and should not be expressed. Is my reading unfair in your view?

I'm not sure about the second part of what you say; the first is nearer. I'm not sure I read it as saying "complete" but "central". Perhaps I read the authors saying that expression of the other models without PSA as a locus is confusing.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah and what's the punch line?!

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016