homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Easter Message : Christ did not die for sin
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
I just think we should talk about the atonement.

I do too. Passionately. Which is why JJ's Lent talk was timely, and why +Tom's and +Pete's rubbishing of it went down badly, with me at least.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I find moderately amusing about the whole affair is the claim that JJ 'made Christianity a laughing stock'. As opposed to, say, Bishops talking to the press about a talk they haven't heard.

They can't help it, I suppose. It's What They Do.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I don't think I was advising any such thing: just suggesting that the caricature is so closely associated with the nuanced theology (and having read +Wright's Fulcrum piece, almost indistinguishable from), that for those of us who get the heebie-jeebies from badly-taught PSA, it may as well stay in the seminaries.

Possibly until someone can explain it properly.

Possibly, it's popular because it's easily "caricatured"? By which I mean, you can explain PSA in clear sentences and perhaps diagrams that go on a flyer that you can hand out at evangelistic events. It's a good story: a clear, simple solution to a clear problem. It's enough for many people, who just aren't that interested in all this intellectual philosophy stuff.

It's only when you start thinking about it that the problems start. A bit like the "solar system" model of an atom is good enough for GCSE, but has real problems when you start thinking about stuff like "why haven't all those electrons fallen into the nucleus?" (thanks, Doc Tor). The problem with QM descriptions of the atom is that, whilst being nuanced and having far more explanatory power, they just aren't as visual. The "story" isn't as clear.

I've read all this thread (well, skimmed parts [Biased] ), and I still couldn't give a coherent explanation of Christus Victor to match what Stuart Townsend managed with PSA in a couple of lines in In Christ Alone.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
Possibly, it's popular because it's easily "caricatured"? By which I mean, you can explain PSA in clear sentences and perhaps diagrams that go on a flyer that you can hand out at evangelistic events. It's a good story: a clear, simple solution to a clear problem. It's enough for many people, who just aren't that interested in all this intellectual philosophy stuff.

I'm going to half agree with you here.

The caricature of PSA is easily explained. And because it presents the concept that a holy, just and righteous God kills his entirely innocent son who bears the sins of the world - it leads folk like me to say "Hang on a minute! This is neither justice nor mercy. Why would I follow a God like that?"

Now, if this isn't PSA, then the simpler version is such a corruption of the more nuanced version that it becomes irrevocably damaged and damaging, and ought to be pensioned off forthwith.

If it is PSA, then the original criticism stands.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems the Oak Hill lot were not best pleased by +Wright's comments. They respond here.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The caricature of PSA is easily explained. And because it presents the concept that a holy, just and righteous God kills his entirely innocent son who bears the sins of the world - it leads folk like me to say "Hang on a minute! This is neither justice nor mercy. Why would I follow a God like that?"

Doc - that was my reaction, too. However, I get the impression the the apologists for PSA aren't concerned with our "merely human" conceptions of justice and mercy, only the theological concepts that they get from their reading of scripture.

I don't get the bit where our fallen human version of justice and mercy manages to be more just and merciful than God is supposed to be. I would also like someone from the con evo side seriously to engage with the point that a god which wants to do violence to us but loves us really makes him sound exactly like an abusive spouse. All that seems to come from that corner is theology...

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
It seems the Oak Hill lot were not best pleased by +Wright's comments. They respond here.

Given that NT Wright called their approach "hopelessly sub-biblical," I'm not surprised! If you want a good way to upset evangelicals of their stripe, I can't think of a better way of doing it [Biased]

- Chris.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was quite entertaining wasn't it.

Oddly enough I think the conservative evangelicals come out of the spat looking better than Wright does. At least they did not endorse Steve Chalke's book, which says pretty much the same as Jeffrey John did, and then try to weasel out of it whilst having a pop at Fr. John.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:
That was quite entertaining wasn't it.

Oddly enough I think the conservative evangelicals come out of the spat looking better than Wright does. At least they did not endorse Steve Chalke's book, which says pretty much the same as Jeffrey John did, and then try to weasel out of it whilst having a pop at Fr. John.

NT Wright does tend to come across as his homnym... I suppose it depends whether you view Chalke's position and John's as essentially the same. Wright seems to be contending that, aside for the merits or otherwise of his position on PSA, Jeffery John is taking liberties with scripture, whereas Steve Chalke (presumably) isn't. I do detect a bit of "Liberals == enemy" about this: Chalke is allowed to get away with statements as hyperbole whicj JJ is taken to task for similar rhetoric.

I don't think +Tom is trying to "weasel out" of his support for Chalke: he does say "I stand by every word I wrote" in support of him. However, reading what Chalke had to say here, I wonder if NTW's impression that he does support PSA is correct..?

- Chris.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sanityman: it's the other way around. An abusive spouse who smashes his wife and sobs over her IS a bit 'like' the God of Israel if you ... like.

Nothing 'like' actually.

This con evo can only deal with the Biblical thesis which still no one here or any where else has antithetically even balanced let alone transcended.

I'm NOT a PSA man. How could I be? The bible isn't PSA only. It's PSA+.

I UTTERLY agree it's problematic. That God - Love - the hanging judge, the counselor, the genocidal killer, the Saviour, the assassin of Ananias and Sapphira, the Father, the Son and sacrificer of His Son is ... problematic.

I can't explain how He is SO. And no liberal POV can explain how He ISN'T.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
He spent most of the article railing against JJ's "caricature" of PSA - calling the problems with the caricature "obvious" to those who framed the atonement theories, and talking about a more nuanced approach.

This post is not just a comment to the above, but a comment regarding some other posts that have been posted since I made the link. Things are getting rather heated again, so I'm just going to say what I want to say rather than trying to "refute" anyone.

Many, many, many people grow up in church hearing the caricature that Jeffrey John talked about in his message.

He never said that he was refuing PSA or any faction of the Anglican church. Maybe those "in the know" see it as a refutation in the on-going Anglican wars, but I'm not particularly "in the know" wrt Anglican church. I saw it as a refutation of a common statement that Christians make about salvation. I saw Chalke's book in the same vein.

Personally speaking, I think that the general public do need to hear "The Christian church does not believe in a raging and angry God" during Holy Week.

And, no, I'm not taking my position because I feel that I have to support Jeffrey John whatever he said. I take my position based on trying to struggle with a theology of atonement. I have no oar in the water with respect to Anglican politics and I happen to a fan of NT Wright as a theologian and +Pete as a cyber-correspondent. I mildly resent the implication that I (amongst others here) aren't capable of actually thinking for ourselves.

Not surprised that the Oak Hill lot aren't happy about Wright's comment. Thanks to whoever provided the link.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
NT Wright does tend to come across as his homnym... I suppose it depends whether you view Chalke's position and John's as essentially the same. Wright seems to be contending that, aside for the merits or otherwise of his position on PSA, Jeffery John is taking liberties with scripture, whereas Steve Chalke (presumably) isn't. I do detect a bit of "Liberals == enemy" about this: Chalke is allowed to get away with statements as hyperbole whicj JJ is taken to task for similar rhetoric.

I don't think +Tom is trying to "weasel out" of his support for Chalke: he does say "I stand by every word I wrote" in support of him. However, reading what Chalke had to say here, I wonder if NTW's impression that he does support PSA is correct..?

- Chris.

I think the weaseling consists in claiming that Chalke does support PSA when he has described it as "unbiblical" and "cosmic child abuse" whilst claiming that its terribly naughty for Jeffrey John to say that "it made God look like a psychopath". Wright claims:

quote:
Now, to be frank, I cannot tell, from this paragraph alone, which of two things Steve means. You could take the paragraph to mean (a) on the cross, as an expression of God's love, Jesus took into and upon himself the full force of all the evil around him, in the knowledge that if he bore it we would not have to; but this, which amounts to a form of penal substitution, is quite different from other forms of penal substitution, such as the mediaeval model of a vengeful father being placated by an act of gratuitous violence against his innocent son. In other words, there are many models of penal substitution, and the vengeful-father-and-innocent-son story is at best a caricature of the true one. Or you could take the paragraph to mean (b) because the cross is an expression of God's love, there can be no idea of penal substitution at all, because if there were it would necessarily mean the vengeful-father-and-innocent-son story, and that cannot be right.
How option a) differs materially from:

quote:
On the cross God absorbs into himself our falleness and its consequences and offers us a new relationship.
is not immediately apparent to me. So basically you have two people - Jeffrey John and Steve Chalke - who are saying much the same thing but Wright attacks one and defends the other. This hardly seems coherent doctrinally but is entirely intelligible in terms of internal Anglican politics.

[ 25. April 2007, 14:33: Message edited by: Callan ]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I uderstand the concept (and I would think as the Oakhill mob understand it) PSA involves of its very nature, not merely that we would, apart from Christ, suffer the consequences of evil in the world, sin, etc, but that those consequences would be penally imposed us by the Father. How then, could +Tom write:
quote:
on the cross, as an expression of God's love, Jesus took into and upon himself the full force of all the evil around him, in the knowledge that if he bore it we would not have to;
and claim this is "a form" of PSA.

Indeed, +Tom is very careful to say that God's wrath (as he understands it) is directed against sin, and not against sinners. Now I get his point, and I wholly agree with him (though I think the word wrath is very loaded, and possibly best avoided), but it's not PSA in any form that would be familiar to Messrs Ovey and Sach.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
This con evo can only deal with the Biblical thesis which still no one here or any where else has antithetically even balanced let alone transcended.

What biblical thesis? If you mean Isaiah 53 I am ready to give a better explanation.
quote:
I UTTERLY agree it's problematic. That God - Love - the hanging judge, the counselor, the genocidal killer, the Saviour, the assassin of Ananias and Sapphira, the Father, the Son and sacrificer of His Son is ... problematic.

Sure we can. God is none of those negatives. God is only love. He is perfectly self-consistent.

The reason that God, in the Bible, is said to get angry, curse, kill, and destroy, is so that even the most ignorant people can grasp the central idea that God is completely in charge, He is omnipotent.

So this idea, which completely contradicts God's real nature, is repeatedly rehearsed in Scripture. People throughout history have been amazingly unfazed by this contradiction.

The reality behind the apparent contradiction is more subtle and, in my opinion, curiously harder to believe. This is that in order to be genuine, God's love must permit people to do as they wish, even if this makes the outcome less ideal than if it was not permitted. Permitting evil is therefore the most loving alternative - even though it draws people away from God and into its inherent consequences.

So God isn't any of those negative things. He is described that way for a good reason - a reason that makes perfect sense to children and many people, even if it actually makes no sense in any logical reality.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:

What biblical thesis? If you mean Isaiah 53 I am ready to give a better explanation.
quote:

Sure we can. God is none of those negatives. God is only love. He is perfectly self-consistent.

The reason that God, in the Bible, is said to get angry, curse, kill, and destroy, is so that even the most ignorant people can grasp the central idea that God is completely in charge, He is omnipotent.

So this idea, which completely contradicts God's real nature, is repeatedly rehearsed in Scripture.
In fact, as both of you admit, scripture says things which appear contradictory. "God is Love" vs. all the seemingly unloving actions the Martin mentions.

To resolve this, one must decide where the emphasis lies. What is the meta-narrative of scripture? Again, people come to different conclusions, and scripture can't help us here, as we're trying to decide how to read it. Personally, I think "God is Love" beats the hell out of "God has the mentalty of a wife-beater" (Martin: which you seemed to suggest above? I'm not sure I understood what you said), but I acknowledge that that's a personal choice, rather than a bible-mandated certainty.

Isn't trying to discern "God's real nature" in the bible intrinsically subjective?

- Chris.

PS: oh and Callan: you're quite right about the politics, of course - although I don't think JJ and SC's views are as coincidental as you make them sound.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

Sorry for the double, but just found this and thought that this was a better place for it than a new thread:

The Word Alive event at Spring Harvest is being discontinued. Apparently a major factor was the fact the UCCF didn't think that Steve Chalke should have a platform on it. Our own +Pete comments here (NB: nothing controversial!)
quote:
Mr Cunningham said, however, that the decision to end the partnership lay in the 2003 publication of the controversial The Lost Message of Jesus by the Rev Steve Chalke, a member of the Spring Harvest Event Leadership Team and Council of Management (trustees).

In The Lost Message of Jesus, Chalke promoted unorthodox views of the nature of the atonement, and hit national media headlines over his controversial and graphic description of penal substitution.

“The Word Alive committee, of which UCCF is a part, believed such views to be contrary to orthodox biblical teaching and as such, decided that the Rev Steve Chalke could not teach from a Word Alive platform," said Mr Cunningham.

Was that really necessary? Are UCCF so incapable of accomodating any views which diverge from theirs that they have to take their ball and go home?

- Chris.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are UCCF so incapable of accomodating any views which diverge from theirs that they have to take their ball and go home?

So it would appear.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

UCCF are fairly hot on having people who speak at CU events sign their DB (although oddly that doesn't explicitly state that people ought to believe in PSA - I'd be interested in Leprechaun's take on the issue) so it's not really surprising that they don't want to be involved with people who they consider not to be within the pale of evangelical soundness.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What negatives?

On who's say so Freddy?

Yours isn't authoritative enough. You can't abolish the God of the bible with a wave of your liberal, rationalizing, modern, western wand. Has any one done the intellectual work? I get tired of asking. And I know the answer. No one. Has. Can. No one has the courage, the intellect to start from the premiss of the God of the bible and faithfully, openly, honestly, inclusively move to the liberal's one without being genetically, dispositionally, dyed-in-the-wool 'liberal' in the first place.

So what's the threshold? How liberal, unbiblical, trans-biblical, meta-biblical, rationalized does God have to be to be gracious? To be the best case God?

How biblical a God is unacceptable?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
UCCF are fairly hot on having people who speak at CU events sign their DB (although oddly that doesn't explicitly state that people ought to believe in PSA - I'd be interested in Leprechaun's take on the issue)

First time for everything! [Biased]

UCCF as an organisation historically formed as a fellowship of people who thought PSA was the heart of the Gospel, so hardly surprising that assent to the doctrine is one of the things they look for in partnerships. It's worth noting:
- Keswick have left the partnership too
- the Spring Harvest line is that there is no falling out over the atonement (after all, why would there be, as Steve Chalke does believe in PSA after all, it's just Jeffery John who doesn't [Snigger] ) and that it was them who ended the partnership because there "wasn't room in the mix" whatever that means.

On the DB, I link to it in fear and trembling as I have been involved in too many "everybody picks their least favourite clause" discussions: here

Clause f says: Sinful human beings are redeemed from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death once and for all time of their representative and substitute, Jesus Christ, the only mediator between them and God.

So I think it's in there.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The thing is, that for many people, Christian theology does not just consist of "what scripture says" or "Martin's interpretation of scripture".

Whilst I agree with you that there is a contradictory picture of God's character in scripture, I have perfectly biblical way of resolving that conflict - looking to Jesus who said that if we've seen him we've seen the Father - and reading the rest of the bible through that lens.

You, however, want me to believe that God beats the crap out of anyone that he doesn't like - in the most Omnipotent and omni-horrible ways possible - AND you want me to believe that God loves me.

Frankly, to me, that's unacceptable. There is a certain extent to which Christianity holds ideas in tension. But a god who beats the crap out of people for all eternity and hates our guts is - logically - a God who beats the crap out of people and hates our guts.

The logical consequence of your thinking is that God is the most horrible and evil being who ever existed. You just don't want to face the consequences. [Razz] (How's that, Mr. 'I've got more guts and outrageous behaviour than anyone on the Ship'?)

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Leprechaun:

quote:
First time for everything! [Biased]
Don't belittle yourself, there are so few foepersons worthy of my steel left. [Biased]

Clause f is less explicit than I'd imagined but given that its the DB of an organisation which is committed to PSA I suppose interpreting it in any other way would be a bit redundant.

The press releases are all a bit "he-said, she-said", aren't they?

--------------------

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry for the double, but just found this and thought that this was a better place for it than a new thread:

The Word Alive event at Spring Harvest is being discontinued. Apparently a major factor was the fact the UCCF didn't think that Steve Chalke should have a platform on it. Our own +Pete comments here
quote:
Mr Cunningham said, however, that the decision to end the partnership lay in the 2003 publication of the controversial The Lost Message of Jesus by the Rev Steve Chalke, a member of the Spring Harvest Event Leadership Team and Council of Management (trustees).

In The Lost Message of Jesus, Chalke promoted unorthodox views of the nature of the atonement, and hit national media headlines over his controversial and graphic description of penal substitution.

“The Word Alive committee, of which UCCF is a part, believed such views to be contrary to orthodox biblical teaching and as such, decided that the Rev Steve Chalke could not teach from a Word Alive platform," said Mr Cunningham.

Was that really necessary? Are UCCF so incapable of accomodating any views which diverge from theirs that they have to take their ball and go home?

- Chris.

Here's the longer version of our Spring Harvest statement. The UCCF press release is not exactly consonant with reality....

Spring Harvest, Keswick and UCCF (the three partners in Word Alive) agreed to go their separate ways. The statement we produced at the time reads as follows:

“2007 will be the last year of Spring Harvest Word Alive. The constituent organisations – Keswick Ministries, UCCF and Spring Harvest – will be ending a partnership that has lasted 14 years, and have agreed to go their separate ways.

Word Alive was originally conceived as a distinctive event within Spring Harvest, drawing Christians from a more theologically conservative church background to Butlins for a week with a strong emphasis on expository bible teaching and a major input for students. The partnership has been a fruitful one and we thank God for the way he has worked through this event over the years.

Of late, it has been difficult to accommodate Word Alive as a separate week within the total mix, and after much discussion, the Spring Harvest Council of Management gave notice that Spring Harvest Word Alive could not continue beyond this year.

Spring Harvest wish the Word Alive partners well and we separate thanking God for the part the other plays in the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ in the UK today.”

Various people have since attempted to "spin" the reasons why we decided to go our separate ways for their own purposes. That's their decision. It's not where Spring Harvest are. Wallace Benn and Pete Broadbent stood on a public platform at Spring Harvest Word Alive, wished our respective events well, prayed for each other, and departed on the best of terms. The statement made jointly by the two of us on behalf of Spring Harvest Word Alive criticising Jeffrey John's inflammatory broadcast indicates that there is no way that anyone can represent Spring Harvest as being anywhere other than the orthodox biblical stance on the atonement.

It’s terribly sad that UCCF have now come out with an official statement that simply isn’t true to what actually took place. I don’t want to get into a public row with UCCF, whose ministry among students I support. But I dispute most of what is contained in the statement as being either misunderstanding (wilful or otherwise) or total fabrication. I could hope that they would withdraw their statement and hold their peace. They seem to want to define themselves over against Spring Harvest, which I regret. We stand for the same faith and the same gospel.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yours isn't authoritative enough. You can't abolish the God of the bible with a wave of your liberal, rationalizing, modern, western wand. Has any one done the intellectual work? I get tired of asking. And I know the answer. No one. Has. Can. No one has the courage, the intellect to start from the premiss of the God of the bible and faithfully, openly, honestly, inclusively move to the liberal's one without being genetically, dispositionally, dyed-in-the-wool 'liberal' in the first place.

So what's the threshold? How liberal, unbiblical, trans-biblical, meta-biblical, rationalized does God have to be to be gracious? To be the best case God?

Martin, by what process do you think that people arrive at the belief systems that they hold? No one is about abolishing the Bible. They are interpreting it, as fathfully and honestly as they can. The whole of it, not a few evo prooftexts. And, make no mistake, you are interpreting it too. You strike me as an honest fellow, so I assume you are going through the same processes. You have your rationalisations also, assuming you are at least half the sinner that I am, and that you aren't wandering around eyeless. So where does this get us. The answer is that it gets us to a system of understanding what the whole story of the bible is, of what God is like. Now personally, I find the answer to that question to be that He's like Jesus.

Ergo, the understanding of God in parts of the Old Testament are, in some way, shadows of what we see in Jesus. People trying to interpret the indescribable in terms of their own experience. That doesn't make the OT redundant; on the contrary, it teaches us how to grapple, Israel like, with a God beyond our comprehension, how to try to make sense of pain, human wickedness, disaster. That, to my mind, makes the OT far more authentic, authoritative and challenging than if we are to read it as if it were some form of primer of systematic theology.

Since +Durham is in the news at the moment, I suggest that you read
this link, to see where some of us are coming from.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

- Posted      Profile for Mystery of Faith   Email Mystery of Faith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:

Ergo, the understanding of God in parts of the Old Testament are, in some way, shadows of what we see in Jesus. People trying to interpret the indescribable in terms of their own experience. That doesn't make the OT redundant; on the contrary, it teaches us how to grapple, Israel like, with a God beyond our comprehension, how to try to make sense of pain, human wickedness, disaster. That, to my mind, makes the OT far more authentic, authoritative and challenging than if we are to read it as if it were some form of primer of systematic theology.

Wonderful summary [Overused]

Thank you

Posts: 101 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

+Pete, assuming you were in some way involved in the drafting of the SH release, would you care to comment on this paragraph:
quote:
The statement made jointly by the two of us on behalf of Spring Harvest Word Alive criticising Jeffrey John's inflammatory broadcast indicates that there is no way that anyone can represent Spring Harvest as being anywhere other than the orthodox biblical stance on the atonement.
, because this seems to imply that Jeffrey John's talk ("God as psychopath") was in some way less acceptable than Steve Chalke's book (God as child abuser). I really don't see why two people saying much the same thing, can be treated so differently. I would be very surprised if JJ could not sign up to everything that SC wrote about the atonement, and vice-versa.

--------------------

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this has been pretty fully discussed above. JJ's views and SC's views on the matter are not identical, as Tom Wright's article seeks to make clear.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can't abolish the God of the bible with a wave of your liberal, rationalizing, modern, western wand. Has any one done the intellectual work? I get tired of asking. And I know the answer. No one. Has. Can.

Yes they have and yes they can.

The secret, as I have said before, is to understand that there is a divine pattern to everything in the Bible. So anything said in one place is said elsewhere too. Without understanding the atoning actions of Isaiah, Ezekiel, and the other prophets, you can't see how the pattern is completed in Jesus' actions.

To do this you need to search the Scriptures and compare the statements. Then you have to interpret them all, as Seeker points out, through the lens of Jesus, who said "He who has seen Me has seen the Father."

Would you like an example?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

JJ - people arrive at their belief systems by chance, by genetic predisposition, by inculturation, by being the (mal)adapted child that they are, but NEVER by thinking. Never. There is no evidence for that here whatsoever. None in me. None in ANY of the NICE theologians.

Now I'm the vilest of sinners mate, I can out-sin you on my most pious and self-righteous days. I OOOZE sin. I'm more than half nuts with it. Not just the effects of dead stuff, but the ongoing stuff. I SIN. I AM sin. Lawless. Muck. Filth. Vile. You're all just amateurs.

Now that's by the by and you're a nice rationalist. You are STILL denying the killer God of the entire bible because you FEEL like it. Because you, like me, are 7.

Now you're younger, smarter, purer, nicer, more functional, more loving, you all are. Makes not a HAY'P'ORTH of difference. You're rationalists who CANNOT, dispositionally dare to approach God as He reveals Himself in the bible. He curdles my milk too. But there He is.

Killer from beginning to end. Do I LIE? DO I BLASPHEME? Do I misrepresent the God of the bible, Alpha and Omega? El Shaddai? Yahweh? Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Drowner and burner of worlds.

Am I intellectually, emotionally, faithfully inadequate (YES OF COURSE!) in my beliefs, in my responses to my beliefs? In my articulation of my beliefs? Yes, yes, yes, yes ... compared with you or any one here ? ? ? ?

The liberal God is the vilest, strangest being I can imagine. If you're right I suppose it's OK because it least He's universalist. I'd have to take that on faith ...

He's no less responsible for meaningless, foul, awful suffering than the God of the bible. More so.

The God I fall down at loves me. Loves you. Loves Sodom and Gomorrah. Yet. Will yet. Loves the antediluvian world. Loves the Canaanites. Loves Judas. Ananias and Sapphira. Loves beyond belief. Loves the Nazis. The Jews. The Neanderthals.

I mean He SPECIFICALLY says so of some of the above, doesn't He? In the bible. He IMPLICITLY says so of all of them and more therefore.

He loves the two hundred million men He will kill in Jezreel or Jehoshaphat is it? And will love them in the resurrection. But according to His unbreakable, poetic, mythic, apocalyptic word of genres that aren't ours, He will kill them. Drain their blood till it runs four feet deep.

How do YOU think the Holy Spirit has inspired - breathed - edited the Bible?

That's semi-rhetorical JJ.

I ask again, what's the threshold? What can I believe about the God of the bible on your authority?

[ 25. April 2007, 17:17: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
I think this has been pretty fully discussed above. JJ's views and SC's views on the matter are not identical, as Tom Wright's article seeks to make clear.

It has been discussed: the fruits of that discussion seem to be that JJ and SC are pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet.

Furthermore +Tom's article might seek to make the differences clear, but at least in the mind of this reader, he fails.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Show me. It's no esoteric, intellectualist secret.

SHOW ME. Show me the WORK. You are saying NOTHING Freddy and worse - you are patronizing me.

Your 'pattern' is your arbitrary, contingent disposition which has no superior moral, intellectual or emotional breadth or depth than my inadequate mess.

--------------------
Love wins

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:

Well I disagree, but let's move on. Do you think the views Fr John expresses are compatible with being a faithful Anglican Christian?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

How does the lens of my blessed, butchered Jesus who died instead of me - I prefer window, or did, lens is good - invalidate God the Son participating at least in drowning the world? Coming back to break every knee that doesn't bow? I don't see the connection? I don't see the invalidation of the killer God of both testaments, past and future, Alpha and Omega, who watched Satan fall, with God by/in/as/through Jesus.

Am I missing something?

Seeker? Freddy?

What do I LACK? With regard to you? Or is it esoterically untransferable? Untransferably esoteric?

Can you put me right?

In your superior wisdom and superior love? And superior faith? And superior insight?

In the Spirit?

Can you do that as pillars of the church? Elders? Evangelists? Disciples?

Can I BUY it? Whatever it has that you have that I don't have, that I don't, can't, won't understand?

--------------------
Love wins

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
SHOW ME. Show me the WORK. You are saying NOTHING Freddy and worse - you are patronizing me.

The work I'm talking about is the effort to read and understand Scripture.

Are you interested in why God isn't murderous, or why Isaiah 53 doesn't say that Jesus took our punishment?
quote:
Your 'pattern' is your arbitrary, contingent disposition which has no superior moral, intellectual or emotional breadth or depth than my inadequate mess.

Probably right. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Am I missing something?

Seeker? Freddy?

What do I LACK? With regard to you? Or is it esoterically untransferable? Untransferably esoteric?

Can you put me right?

The "lens" is the idea that Jesus, although He did use figurative language, is the one who explains the truth more directly than the prophets. Therefore the images projected in the Old Testament need to be understood in light of Jesus' descriptions of how the divine love works.

It all depends on the assumption that there are no true contradictions. That everything can be lined up and explained.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Was Jesus being figurative about Himself here? Matt. 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

--------------------
Love wins

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Am I missing something?

Seeker? Freddy?

Can you put me right?

In your superior wisdom and superior love? And superior faith? And superior insight?

Martin: I don't claim superior anything, although I somehow don't think you'll believe that.

Jesus said that if we've seen him we've seen the Father. Tell me how you explain the fact that Jesus didn't act violently toward people if your 'correct' interpretation is such a no-brainer.

And people wonder why non-Christians get the idea that Christians believe that God hates them. [Roll Eyes]

[ 25. April 2007, 21:42: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Was Jesus being figurative about Himself here? Matt. 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Yes. God does not destroy both body and soul in hell. This is figurative language.

People "destroy" their own bodies and souls in the next life, just as we can ruin our own lives in this world - through our own choices and lack of effort. But whereas these things often happen unfairly in this world, and we are harmed by things that we do not choose, things are perfectly fair - more than fair - in the next life.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

It's not that they do it well, it's that they do it at all.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Sigh. And by the way I like your guts Seeker. And Freddy, don't go and go all bloody REASONABLE and fair-minded on me.

--------------------
Love wins

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Sigh. And by the way I like your guts Seeker.

It doesn't take guts at all. I spent years cowering from your god. I reckon that anyone who wants to be told "I love you and now I will torture you" for all eternity will probably be able to find a corner of eternity where that happens. I also think that God will provide something better for all of us; the question is whether any of us will actually be able to see the eternity that is better than we expect it to be.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Show me. It's no esoteric, intellectualist secret.

OK. Here is an example of a pattern.

It was actually common practice in the Old Testament for prophets to “bear the iniquity” or “carry the injustices” of the people. The purpose of doing this was to point them out. For example:
  • Isaiah the prophet was commanded to take the sackcloth off below his waist and the sandals off his feet and go naked and barefoot for three years as a sign and a wonder (Isaiah 20:2, 3).
  • Ezekiel the prophet was commanded to represent the state of the church by making travel bags, moving to another place before the eyes of the children of Israel, taking out his bags from time to time, going out in the evening through a hole in the wall, and covering his face so he could not see the ground. In this way he would be a wonder to the house of Israel. He was told to say, "Behold, I am your wonder. As I have done, so it will be for you" (Ezekiel 12:3-7, 11).
  • Hosea the prophet was commanded to represent the church's condition by marrying a promiscuous partner, which he did. She bore him three sons, one of whom he called Jezreel, the second No Mercy, and the third Not My People. At another point he was commanded to go love a woman who already had a lover and who was committing adultery, and buy her for himself (Hosea 1:2-9; 3:1, 2).
  • One prophet was commanded to put ashes over his eyes and let himself be beaten and whipped (1 Kings 20:35, 38).
  • Ezekiel the prophet was commanded to represent the condition of the church by taking a brick and sculpting Jerusalem on it, laying siege to it, building a rampart and a mound against it, putting an iron frying pan between himself and the "city," and sleeping on his left side and then on his right side. He also had to take wheat, barley, lentils, millet, and spelt and make bread out of them. He also had to make a cake of barley with human excrement; but because he begged not to have to do that, he was allowed to make it with cow dung instead.
Ezekiel was specifically told that when he did this he would be “bearing the iniquity” or “carrying the injustices” of the houses of Israel and Judah:
quote:
Lie on your left side and put the injustice done by the house of Israel on it. For the number of days during which you sleep on that side you will carry their injustice. For I will give you the years of their injustice according to the number of days, 390 days for you to carry the injustice done by the house of Israel. But when you have finished them, you will lie again on your right side to carry the injustice done by the house of Judah. (Ezekiel 4:1-15)
But no one thinks that Ezekiel took away the punishment by doing this. There was no actual punishment from God, although it was framed this way. Israel and Judah simply left themselves vulnerable to their enemies.

Ezekiel was just pointing these things out, by the Lord's command, in the hope of persuading the people to change.

Why isn’t it reasonable to see what is said about Jesus in the same context?
quote:
"He bore our diseases, he carried our pains. Jehovah put on him the injustices committed by us all. Through his knowledge he justified many as he himself carried their injustices" (Isaiah 53:4, 6, 11).
This was part of His role as the greatest prophet. The message changes us. The actions broke the power of hell.

But God does not need to be a “cosmic child-abuser” to make this work.

The point is that Isaiah 53 needs to be understood in concert with many similar Old Testament stories, as do Jesus' own statements about giving His life as a "ransom."

There is nothing esoteric here. It's just about comparing passages and understanding context.

--------------------

Boviwanjoshobi
Shipmate
# 11206

- Posted      Profile for Boviwanjoshobi     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeker 963
quote:
But a god who beats the crap out of people for all eternity and hates our guts is - logically - a God who beats the crap out of people and hates our guts.

I see two problems with your view Seeker.

Firstly;I think you are equating God's wrath and/or hate with that of sinful human beings.God hates sin with a perfect and holy hatred and will punish sinners with his holy wrath. God does not 'lose it' or fly off the handle. His anger and wrath are perfectly consistent with his righteousness, holiness and authority.

Secondly; You imply that humans are morally neutral. By nature all of us hate God in a sinful way and reject his rightful rule over us. God has every right to punish people who reject him.

But the good news is that God sent his son, the Lord Jesus to die in our place, taking the punishment that we deserve so that we may be forgiven.

To reject the atonement is to reject God's offer of salvation.

--------------------
Romans 1:16 Absolutely

Posts: 166 | From: Lake Macquarie | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mystery of Faith
Shipmate
# 12176

- Posted      Profile for Mystery of Faith   Email Mystery of Faith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boviwanjoshobi:
But the good news is that God sent his son, the Lord Jesus to die in our place, taking the punishment that we deserve so that we may be forgiven.

This is one way of looking at things for sure, but it is far from the only way.

Are you suggesting that unless we see the atonement in the one way that you suggest - basically PSA - then we are all rejecting God's offer of salvation?

What makes you think that your way of seeing is the only way, when Christians and theologians have been finding different ways of interpreting exactly how the atonement works throughout the ages? To me that is part of the beauty of it is that there are so many different ways of trying to interpret it all of which add colour to the whole picture. It strikes me that you are trying to define God and God's actions in a convenient formula which may be helpful for you but I think it is wrong to suggest that all others are therefore rejecting God's offer of salvation.

Posts: 101 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boviwanjoshobi
Shipmate
# 11206

- Posted      Profile for Boviwanjoshobi     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you suggesting that unless we see the atonement in the one way that you suggest - basically PSA - then we are all rejecting God's offer of salvation?

Yes, for the reason being that if Christ did not die in our place then our problem of sin is not dealt with and we remain alienated from God.

quote:
This is one way of looking at things for sure, but it is far from the only way.

This seems a bit relativistic doesn't it? Either Christ died for our sins on the cross or he did not. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

quote:
What makes you think that your way of seeing is the only way, when Christians and theologians have been finding different ways of interpreting exactly how the atonement works throughout the ages?
It is not my way -it is God's way and the atonement is crystal clear in Scripture. The gospel that reformed evangelicals believe in is the same Gospel that was preached and taught by the apostles. There are so many passages that I could refer you to.

quote:
To me that is part of the beauty of it is that there are so many different ways of trying to interpret it all of which add colour to the whole picture. It strikes me that you are trying to define God and God's actions in a convenient formula which may be helpful for you but I think it is wrong to suggest that all others are therefore rejecting God's offer of salvation.

This kelaidoscopalian form of Christianity is to fudge over the fundamentals of what defines Christianity in the first place. The Gospel is exclusive, it is not complicated. John 14:6 is a great example of this. There is one way to the Father and that is through the Son. We can only come to God on his terms. If we get the cross wrong, we get the gospel wrong and therefore we end up with a different Jesus - a fluffy Jesus who accepts everybody's view.

You are contradicting your own theology for it what you are saying about "the beauty of so many different ways of trying to interpret it all of which add colour to the whole picture"; then there is no such thing as 'wrong'. Thus your approach is a selective relativism where everybody is right except reformed Evangelicals which brings me back to my earlier statement where I said you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

--------------------
Romans 1:16 Absolutely

Posts: 166 | From: Lake Macquarie | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:

Let me get this complete straight. Are you saying that one can only be saved if one holds that Jesus was punished in our stead?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
It is not my way -it is God's way and the atonement is crystal clear in Scripture. The gospel that reformed evangelicals believe in is the same Gospel that was preached and taught by the apostles. There are so many passages that I could refer you to.

Sorry. I've been hearing this too often from the pulpit recently:
quote:
It's not me you're disagreeing with, it's God...
What it is, is sloppy, lazy, spineless thinking. You don't have the courage of your convictions, so you blame God for the awkward parts of your message.

There is absolutely no doubt that you've chosen to hold the primacy/exclusivity of PSA over other equally Biblical interpretations of atonement - you are therefore responsible for defending your interpretation.

If it was, as you say, crystal-clear, the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox, the Anglicans, the Methodists, the Pentecostals, and a whole host of others would believe it now. Likewise, how foolish of all those pre-reformation theologians not to have twigged beforehand. They're all damned, I suppose. As to all the post-reformation theologians who also disagree with PSA: fools also, I suppose.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Seeker 963
quote:
But a god who beats the crap out of people for all eternity and hates our guts is - logically - a God who beats the crap out of people and hates our guts.

I see two problems with your view Seeker.

Firstly;I think you are equating God's wrath and/or hate with that of sinful human beings.God hates sin with a perfect and holy hatred and will punish sinners with his holy wrath. God does not 'lose it' or fly off the handle. His anger and wrath are perfectly consistent with his righteousness, holiness and authority.

Secondly; You imply that humans are morally neutral. By nature all of us hate God in a sinful way and reject his rightful rule over us. God has every right to punish people who reject him.

Boviwanjoshobi:

1) Please go back and read the thread; this is not my view of God, it's Martin-PC-Not's.

2) This thread is now extremely long. Arguements like yours have already been extensively discussed. You are entitled to your views about atonement and about the rest of us, but please note that your offering here is simply a repetition of what's been said many times before - in this thead and in real life.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Please STOP repeatedly now misrepresenting my God, Seeker. In fact I insist you retract that RIGHT NOW. Or, wow, for the first time I'll call you to hell.

OK?

[ 26. April 2007, 13:00: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, the problem I have is that your God is contradictory. He loves people while killing them? I'm far, far too stupid to be able to believe that. He's going to break everyone's knee that doesn't bow down to him? The Inquisition has nothing on your God, Martin. He's a totalitarian thug. Is the world wrong to respect religious freedom then? If God is going to enforce belief in Himself, which means that enforcing belief in God is good, then shouldn't we be doing it? Shouldn't we be bringing on the Auto de fé?

I don't get it. Not at all. And you say the liberal God is vile? Which is viler? The God who forgives those He loves, or the one who torments them in Hell for eternity? For some reason you think it's the former?

And if you think people are misrepresenting you, you could start by posting in a style that is at least vaguely comprehensible. I can make out, at best, about 40% of what you're trying to say.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone hear Anne Atkins giving it some for PSA this morning on Radio 4's thought for the day?

At least they are redressing the balance! (and it sent me off to my desk rejoicing!)

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016