homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Why can't the Vatican look at the bigger picture? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Why can't the Vatican look at the bigger picture?
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mmm.

So you define what is not human, and anything that is not not human must be is human.

mmm.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
At which point, Mad Geo, does a "human life" become worthy of protection?

At which point does it cease to be worthy of protection?

Myrrh

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
Besides Amnesty, are there other organizations promoting a more acceptable list of human rights that a Roman Catholic could support in good conscience?

That's a very good question. I do not know that there's any other organization of AI's stature. But I consider it possible that we will see a split in the AI organization because of this issue. Which is a pity, but perhaps necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
For a guy that usually tries so hard to be logical, that you can't see that a Zygote which can't think, and a person, that can, are two different things speaks volumes about the hideous contortions that religious belief does to "logic".

To the best of our knowledge, a newborn can't "think". Is it OK to kill it, too? If you require elementary self-awareness to be in place, then perhaps we can kill infants till about two years of age? Or is it the age of reason we are looking for? So can we get rid of children under six? How about mentally handicapped people? At what stage do they not think enough, so that we can dispose of them and save the money for their care? If you do a Singer, at least do it consequently.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
A view which would have baffled St Thomas.

Indeed, but not for the reason you claimed. St Thomas Aquinas would have been baffled by the modern advances in embryology, and forced to revise his conclusions - based on the same metaphysical principles - accordingly. For details, read the entire excellent article linked to below, here's an excerpt
quote:
"Aquinas on Human Ensoulment, Abortion and the Value of Life" by John Haldane and Patrick Lee, Philosophy 78 (2003) 255-278:
So, can the reasons for Aquinas’s position that human ensoulment occurs after conception (fertilisation) still have force today once they are freed from erroneous embryological assumptions? The reasons which led Aquinas to hold late human ensoulment are basically four, three embryological points and one metaphysical. First, on his Aristotelian view, the male is the sole active cause; second, the material (the menstrual blood) upon which the semen (as instrument of the male) works has only a very low degree of perfection or organization, not even possessing vegetative life; third, as a consequence, the distance between the initial point (menstrual blood) and the end point (a body sufficiently organized to receive a human soul) is quite long. The general metaphysical point is expressed by Aquinas as follows:

Now it belongs to the natural order that a thing is gradually brought from potency to act. And therefore in those things which are generated we find that at first each is imperfect and afterwards is perfected.

We believe that the general metaphysical principle is demonstrably true, and that the application of it in the second sentence is plausibly so. All three of the embryological beliefs, however, are known to be false. Modern embryology shows that the female provides a gamete (the ovum) which is already a highly organized living cell, containing highly complex, specific information, in the genetic structure of the nuclear chromosomes. This information (together with that provided by the genetic structure in the chromosomes of the male sperm) helps guide the development of the new living organism formed by the fusion of the sperm and the ovum. Hence the ovum is actually very close to readiness for rapid embryological development; it only requires fusion with the sperm and the activation that occurs with that fusion. To a certain extent the gradual transition from the simple to the complex that Aquinas sought actually occurs during gametogenesis (of which, of course, he was unaware).Thus, applying Aquinas’s metaphysical principles to the embryological facts uncovered since his time leads to the conclusion that the human being is present from fertilisation on.

The authors make the further crucial point that we now know that the semen does not contain a "vital spirit" that would externally govern the development of the embryo out of menstrual blood as instrumental cause of the father (and his soul), till the child's soul is infused. We now know that the zygote is all there is, and that it cannot be viewed as an instrumental cause of either mother or father (due to its separate genetic makeup). The zygote internally governs its own development as its own entity (partly of course in response to the environment). However, on Aquinas account of causation a cause cannot be lesser than what is caused. What is eventually caused through the zygote's development is a human being, so on Aquinas' own metaphysical principle there is again no choice but to assume that the zygote is governed by a human soul from fertilization. So Aquinas came to a wrong conclusion based on bad biology, no bad metaphysics. And if one applies his metaphysics to good biology, the conclusion that conception happens around fertilization results.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unrelatedly, but to push IngoB. OK, make the hypotised person a primed suicide bomber. And accept the view commonly held by experts that the only adequate way to prevent the person attacking is through a gunshot to the head (which will kill). Do you maintain your position?

Yes. Romans 3:8 "And why not do evil that good may come? -- as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just." Whether I would hold true to my moral principles under the actual pressure of such a situation is a different question.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this actually official AI policy yet? I've been looking at their website but cannot see an announcement. I had thought that, although the UK national branch (and those of some other countries) have passed this resolution, it had not yet been approved or rejected by the International Conference which, AFAIK, is scheduled for August this year. I'm secretary of our local Justice & Peace group (mostly members of our church but not exclusively so) and we've always supported Amnesty. Some of the group wanted to sever links when the UK resolution was passed but I and others said wait till the ICM. However, I cannot see that it will be possible for us to continue this support if this does become official policy.

The right or wrong of abortion seems a bit of a DH so I'm not getting into that but by taking a promotional rather than a neutral position (which has been Amnesty's stance hitherto), obviously an organization with a opposite ethos is going to be unable to give assent and support. As others have said, this hasn't come out of the blue, Amnesty have been told this explicitly (as well as its being pretty obvious) and, like others, I do wonder why they would want to alienate the grassroots support of groups like ours who raise awareness of Amnesty issues to large numbers of people in the wider congregation and beyond.

The church's anti-abortion position is well known; other things it does not support include war, rape as a weapon thereof and incest.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attend to the wise words of Jahlove - discussions on the rights or wrongs of abortion belong in Dead Horses.

Duo Seraphim, Purgatory Host

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Is this actually official AI policy yet? I've been looking at their website but cannot see an announcement.

Here's Amnesty International's side of the thing. A really quick Google search turns up a seemingly annual panic by various anti-abortion groups about AI possibly moving to advocate the general decriminalization of abortion, but they haven't yet done so.

A 2006 PeaceWomen report says that about 1 in 6 refugee camps do have emergency contraceptive services: interestingly, it also says that abortion is legal in both Chad and Sudan, within strict parameters about the duration of the pregnancy and the health of the mother. There's a difference between what's on the books and what's actually available, though (HRW stands for Human Rights Watch):

quote:

HRW notes that the question of access to safe abortion as an option for victims of rape is not openly discussed in any health facility receiving international humanitarian assistance in Darfur, Chad or elsewhere. There has been little or no discussion of how to operationalise WHO/UNHCR standards in a field setting and health providers are left to use their own initiative to find out about local ‘safe’ abortion services. Humanitarian agencies seem to assume it is not essential to provide abortion services or accurate information for victims of rape in camp or IDP settings. It is likely that US government anti-abortion policies have contributed to reluctance to provide safe abortion services...

I"m curious about what, exactly, AI is trying to accomplish. It's not as though they're running the clinics, or otherwise in a position to make real change. But if we all shut up about what we can't directly fix, a lot of injustices would slip past unchallenged.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Here's Amnesty's press release.

They're saying that in cases of rape, incest, or poor health of the woman, she should be able to choose, without coercion.

I think they're right.

In which case, you can donate your money and devote your time to whichever causes put your opinion into action.

The RCC disagrees. Whatever your or my opinion about that might be, I cannot deny that the RCC has every right to use its resources, agencies and influence to put its opinions into action.

Well, I didn't say anything one way or the other about the RCC decision.

But it does seem that Amnesty is acting on ITS conscience. It sees this as a human rights issue.

Both groups are free to act on their beliefs. It's a hard situation for people who are members of both groups...but there's no guarantee that a faith group and a secular group will always sing in unison. Heck, groups from the same faith can't even do that!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
To the best of our knowledge, a newborn can't "think".

Oh ye of incorrect assumption.

quote:
Scientists from several fields have shown that from the first weeks of life, babies are active learners. They are busy gathering and organizing knowledge about their world.

quote:
Newborns begin right away to use and integrate their senses to explore their world. Most infants can:
  • See clearly within 13 inches
  • Focus on and follow moving objects, including human faces
  • See all colors and distinguish hue and brightness
  • Distinguish the pitch and volume of sound
  • Discriminate sweet, sour, bitter, and salty tastes
  • Respond with facial expressions to strong stimuli (like odors)
  • Prefer high contrast items and geometric shapes
  • Begin to anticipate events (for example, sucking at the sight of a nipple)

Anticipating events? Why that is THINKING! Go figure.

quote:

Is it OK to kill it, too?

Why look it's a logical fallacy!

Is IngoB using the "Questionable Cause" fallacy? Why NO, I think it's a "False Dilemma" folks. Let me know if I am wrong, I am always willing to learn more about fallacies.

Isn't it intriguing that he had to resort to that tactic? Why I think he is sensing he is on the wrong side of this, but let's humor him anyway, shall we?

I have already stated that I am not okay with Partial Birth Abortion. Ergo, I am okay with real live living babies being left to their thinking.
quote:

If you require elementary self-awareness to be in place, then perhaps we can kill infants till about two years of age? Or is it the age of reason we are looking for? So can we get rid of children under six? How about mentally handicapped people? At what stage do they not think enough, so that we can dispose of them and save the money for their care? If you do a Singer, at least do it consequently.

Why I think I shall call this game, "The Stacked False Dillema".

Since the hosts have called this issue out, I will stop here regardless of what you say, but suffice it to say, your Fallacy(s) gave you away. You don't know what to do when "others" are more ethical than your church, do you? You see that your church doesn't actually have the right position and it really disturbs you, doesn't it? Your church is not on the right side of human rights or ethics here and nearly all your bretheren know it. Oooh that's got to burn.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
quote:
Newborns begin right away to use and integrate their senses to explore their world. Most infants can: ...
  • Begin to anticipate events (for example, sucking at the sight of a nipple)

Anticipating events? Why that is THINKING! Go figure.
OK, I then figure that Pavlov's dogs are clearly THINKING. So are all mammals. Time to become vegetarian, killing a cow clearly is murder. Right?

quote:
I have already stated that I am not okay with Partial Birth Abortion. Ergo, I am okay with real live living babies being left to their thinking.

So at what point in pregnancy should real live living unborn babies be left to their thinking?

--------------------

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been a Catholic supporter of Amnesty since I was a student, Amnesty used to have a neutral stance on abortion and I don't see why they feel they have to change that.
Is there now a vast number of women dying for lack of abortion services? (as distinct from those who are dying from lack of any medical care anyway)
I thought Amnesty was about stopping people being imprisoned without trial, killed or tortured, it does a fine job at that so why change now?

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I can see how the argument flows from the decision to regard a ZEF as a human person, and although it's not self-evident to the rest of the world, this belief may be regarded as revealed and non-negotiable.

The US supreme court said that because we do not know when human life/personhood starts, we should not make abortion illegal. But this is just nonsense. If we are to be skeptical, abortion should be made illegal.

Either the embryo/zygote, etc. is a living person or it is not. And either we know this or we do not. This lead to four positions; (1) The embryo is a living person and we know it --- in which case abortion is murder one. (2) The embryo is a living person and we do not know it --- in which case abortion is manslaughter. (3) The embryo is a not a living person and we do not know it --- in which case abortion is just as bad as fumegating a bulding without checking for people (which is punishable by law). (4) The embryo is a not a living person and we know it --- in which case abortion is ok.

But you say that we do not know.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh Mad Geo, the only thing I can tell from your posts on this thread is how much you dislike IngoB. Scorn and derision are acceptable substitutes for logical thinking in your little world?

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
The US supreme court said that because we do not know when human life/personhood starts, we should not make abortion illegal. But this is just nonsense. If we are to be skeptical, abortion should be made illegal.

Well, if you don't mind me saying so, THAT is just nonsense. It falls on two points:

(1.) The fallacious notion that just because we don't know exactly where to draw a line dividing entities into two exclusive sets, we cannot draw a line such that one side of it contains no entities of one sort.
(2.) The prior assumption that abortion clearly ought to be illegal if (some) foetuses are persons. Some might argue: either for pragmatic reasons (backstreet abortion etc.) or out of consideration for the woman's right to self-defence. If another person impinges on me in the most intimate fashion possible, it might be argued, I am well within my rights to do whatever it takes to remove them. This is not obviously daft.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mmm.

So you define what is not human, and anything that is not not human must be is human.

mmm.

Law of the Excluded Middle, that's right.

The problem being, that 'is human' is not what's at issue. No-one denies that a zygote is a human organism. Just as no-one denies that a brain-dead person on a heart-lung machine (which, according to the Vatican, we may justly disconnect) is a human organism. The question is - is this a human person? Or, if you prefer scholastic terminology, is this an animal with a rational soul?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Hermes66
Shipmate
# 12156

- Posted      Profile for Hermes66   Email Hermes66   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why won't the Vatican look at the bigger picture?

Because they're all MEN. Not one of them will ever have to face pregnancy by rape or incest. As a female I have complete sympathy with any woman who cannot carry a foetus to full term - for whatever reason. How a woman could nurture and love a baby foisted on her by rape is beyond my comprehension - I don't think I could.

If the Vatican wants to stop abortion in cases of sexual violence, perhaps it should put its considerable wealth into orphanages and shelters for those born to mothers forced into pregnancy. Then they can salvage their principles and actually help people - specifically, women.

--------------------
Actually on a real ship but not all at sea

Posts: 523 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by Hermes66:

If the Vatican wants to stop abortion in cases of sexual violence, perhaps it should put its considerable wealth into orphanages and shelters for those born to mothers forced into pregnancy.

Stanley Hauerwas has suggested something very similar.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How a woman could nurture and love a baby foisted on her by rape is beyond my comprehension - I don't think I could.

What a very sad statement.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Cardinal Winning famously did just that.

And large numbers of the most prominent anti-abortion Catholic campaigners are in fact women.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:

And large numbers of the most prominent anti-abortion Catholic campaigners are in fact women.

Women can, of course, adopt a position which is damaging to women as a whole. In any case, I think the point probably being made is that those responsible for the policy are men. I'm wary of reading too much into this. It's certainly not decisive in the debate. It does seem to me, though, that some talk from church leaders about pregnancy (not just in the RCC, actually) is overly romanticised.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go further than TT and say that all the anti abortion campaigners I have met, both at uni and since were women.

One thing pro abortionists seem to have real trouble with is that there are women who don't agree with them.

[ 15. June 2007, 13:36: Message edited by: Petrified ]

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just checked Cardinal Winning's biography on Wikipedia, because it does read above as though Triple Tiara said that he was raped and brought up the resulting baby. Surely a woman can't be a cardinal I was thinking until I read what he did do.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:

One thing pro abortionists seem to have real trouble with is that there are women who don't agree with them.

I don't know any 'pro-abortionists'. I know plenty of people who think that it ought not to be up to the State to make decisions about abortion. And of these, I know no-one who doesn't accept there are women who disagree with them. Given that almost all opposition to legal abortion in the West is religious, and given that church attendance is higher amongst women than men, this is hardly suprising. Nothing follows from it about which position in the abortion debate is, in fact, best for women.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

The RCC has a very long history of supporting the death penalty which is clearly at odds with the view presented here on its behalf which says it holds all life sacred.

quote:
FACTS

The Vatican formally abolished the death penalty from its constitution in 2001.
The revised Vatican constitution that took effect on February 22, 2001 removed the death penalty from the text of the Fundamental Law, equivalent to a constitution, which dates back to the 1929 creation of the modern Vatican city-state. Pope John Paul II approved the new law for the abolition of the death penalty in November 2000.
Vatican use of the death penalty persisted into the 19th century, with hangings under Pope Pius IX, but no execution was carried out since the establishment of the modern state in 1929. Capital punishment was banned within the walls of the Vatican by Pope Paul VI in 1967. Under Pope John Paul II, the Vatican is strongly anti-death penalty. (Vatican City State, Abolitionist)

However, this does not mean that current thinking in the RCC considers the death penalty intrinsically evil, (not least because doing so would be an admission of its own traditional doctrinal support for murder as long as carried out by secular powers under its authority):

quote:
Vatican on the Death Penalty, Not Inherently Evil, but "difficult to justify today"

By John-Henry Westen
VATICAN CITY, February 7, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A declaration of the Holy See regarding the death penalty was released today. It was delivered at a world congress on the death penalty, held in Paris, France from February 1 to 3.

Rather than condemning the practice outright, the Vatican used nuanced language to indicate that while it found the practice "an affront to human dignity", it could in some circumstances be necessitated. The language is starkly different from that used to condemn abortion, euthanasia and same-sex marriage which can never be justified.

"The Catholic Church continues to maintain that the legitimate authorities of State have the duty to protect society from aggressors," says the document on the death penalty. "Some States traditionally include the death penalty among the means used to achieve this end," an option "that is difficult to justify today." (Vatican on the Death Penalty, Not Inherently Evil, but "difficult to justify today")

Surely if Roman Catholics can continue donating monies and time to the RCC then they can have no moral objection to continue supporting Amnesty International now?

Myrrh

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Myrrh

I think the answer to that is that on the one hand the RCC is talking to its members and other individuals. On the other it is talking to State Authorities, ie, Governments which as we all know have no soul.

Sioni

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I just checked Cardinal Winning's biography on Wikipedia, because it does read above as though Triple Tiara said that he was raped and brought up the resulting baby. Surely a woman can't be a cardinal I was thinking until I read what he did do.

What he meant to say was that Cardinal Winning promised that he would assist any woman and child in a crisis pregnancy situation. Cardinal O'Connor famously made the same promise as did (I think) Cardinal Hickey of Washington and a few others. Cardinal O'Connor's promise resulted in the creation of the Sisters for Life religious order.

The Catholic Church also used to have large numbers of orphanages up until the State began foster parent programs and abortion became widely available. The Church, in theory, could do so again, although the potentially unlimited civil liability from abuse cases might unfortunately cause problems.

Of course, one could do what a prominent Episcopal bishop did when he was a rector of a prominent parish - use his discretionary account to pay pregnant women who were "statutorily raped" to receive abortions and not reporting the cases to the authorities for prosecution. That's, of course, the Planned Parenthood way of operating.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Hot and Hormonal] sorry - my post would have made more sense if it came where I thought I was posting it - just after DOD and Hermes. The post by New Yorker interrupted that flow. I should have edited to make things more clear.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why won't the Vatican look at the bigger picture?

Because they're all MEN. Not one of them will ever have to face pregnancy by rape or incest. As a female I have complete sympathy with any woman who cannot carry a foetus to full term - for whatever reason. How a woman could nurture and love a baby foisted on her by rape is beyond my comprehension - I don't think I could.

If the Vatican wants to stop abortion in cases of sexual violence, perhaps it should put its considerable wealth into orphanages and shelters for those born to mothers forced into pregnancy. Then they can salvage their principles and actually help people - specifically, women.

[Roll Eyes] I wondered how long it would take before THAT tired argument would be trotted out!

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:

I don't know any 'pro-abortionists'.
You have not been to many "pro-choice" demonstrations in San Francisco

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Myrrh

I think the answer to that is that on the one hand the RCC is talking to its members and other individuals. On the other it is talking to State Authorities, ie, Governments which as we all know have no soul.

Sioni

Then this must also apply to all individually who are non-baptised RCC Christians who "have lost sanctifying grace which is death of the soul".

So RCC can have no moral objection to supporting those non-RCC who choose abortion or to organisations supporting the right to abortion as the Vatican supports those soulless States which have the death penalty?

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

Admittedly not.

My far-off perception of the US abortion debate is that the rhetoric has been ratcheted up to such an extent that it is relatively difficult to find anyone saying anything not loaded with hyperbole.

[responding to Seraphim Sarov: incidentally SS, why is the Hauerwasian argument 'tired'?]

[ 15. June 2007, 16:12: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:

[responding to Seraphim Sarov: incidentally SS, why is the Hauerwasian argument 'tired'?]

It's hackneyed by overuse and disproved by the overwhelming amount of women involved in the Pro-Life movement as some have pointed out above.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

Oh, I see, it was the first part of the quote you were talking about. I was responding to the second part.

Incidentally, I'm not sure the claim you take issue with is 'disproved' by women campaigning against legal abortion. The objection seems to be that the policies being campaigned for are determined by men. So whether or not women are involved in campaigning is neither here nor there. As I've said previously, I don't think it is particularly strong amongst objections to abortion being illegal: but I do think those responding to it on this thread have missed the point.

[ 15. June 2007, 17:12: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have been doing a bit of my own reading around this subject - as a lot of other people obviously have, too - and there seems to be a precedent for allowing a Catholic to continue to support AI in spite of its pro-abortion stance.

It dates back to when Holy Joe was merely Prefect of the CDF (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,) before he became Pope.

In 2004, the question was raised in the USA as to whether a voter could, in conscience, support a candidate who supported abortion but was otherwise the ideal choice of the voter.

Holy Joe sent a memo to Cardinal Theodore McCarrick which was published in the summer of 2004, and included these comments:
quote:
A Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for Holy Communion, if he were to deliberately vote for a candidate precisely because of the candidate's permissive stand on abortion and/or euthanasia...

...When a Catholic does not share a candidate's stand in favor of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons.

OK, it's not a direct precedent, but it appears to be similar enough to give Catholics some wiggle room - even if it does so by relying on the vague and subjective concept of proportionality.

( CNS version of the story
Washington Post version )

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What annoys me most is that pro-abortionists are forcing people like me to choose between supporting Amnesty or loyalty to my beliefs.
I believe abortion is wrong, unless it is to save the mother's life.
I admit there are lots of people who hold different beliefs and they have the right to do so. But there are lots of organisations fighting for 'abortion rights' why does Amnesty have to become one of them?

ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't want to get into the abortion issue. Here in the US it seems that everyone has made up thier minds either anti-abortion or pro-choice and no amount of argument, debate, persuasion, etc. is going to change anyone's mind one way or the other.....except Mitt Romney.....or maybe Rudy Guliani as he gets closer to the Rep. primaries.

However, I find it difficult to reconcile the anti-abortion argument that life is so precious, etc., with a position favoring capital punishment. There is always the chance that the jury rendered an incorrect verdict as we have come to learn with the number of rape cases being overturned on new DNA evidence. If memory serves, rape is still a capital crime in some places.

...and with all respect to my RC shipmates, I can't not believe that the official RC positions regarding issues of families and sexuality would be substantially different if the hierarchy were not celebate old men.

Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ORGANMEISTER:
...and with all respect to my RC shipmates, I can't not believe that the official RC positions regarding issues of families and sexuality would be substantially different if the hierarchy were not celebate old men.

Speaking as a discontented Catholic, I have to agree with this.

However, it could have been worse. It could have been a hierarchy of celibate old women. [Devil]

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

I want to know why Amnesty can't look at the bigger picture and see that they are going to lose an awful lot of support by doing this. I'm afraid my membership may have to go along with that of my Bishop
web page Bishop of East Anglia

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
I want to know why Amnesty can't look at the bigger picture and see that they are going to lose an awful lot of support by doing this.

Is there a prize for ironic references to the thread title? OliviaG
ETA lighthearted joking intended

[ 15. June 2007, 19:41: Message edited by: OliviaG ]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
I want to know why Amnesty can't look at the bigger picture and see that they are going to lose an awful lot of support by doing this. [/URL]

I seriously doubt that.

And to answer your question as to why Amnesty sees this as being within their remit - presumably (a.) it thinks that there are situations in which legal denial of abortion is relevantly similar to the kind of dehumanisation it spends the vast majority of its time campaigning against. Think raped women. (b.) it thinks that theocracy is intrinsically inimical to human rights; and given that absolute opponents of legal abortion (e.g. from the moment of fertilisation) don't seem to be able to produce non-religious arguments for their position, it is theocratic in nature.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

- Posted      Profile for feast of stephen   Email feast of stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth:
OK, I have been doing a bit of my own reading around this subject - as a lot of other people obviously have, too - and there seems to be a precedent for allowing a Catholic to continue to support AI in spite of its pro-abortion stance.

It dates back to when Holy Joe was merely Prefect of the CDF (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,) before he became Pope.

In 2004, the question was raised in the USA as to whether a voter could, in conscience, support a candidate who supported abortion but was otherwise the ideal choice of the voter.

Holy Joe sent a memo to Cardinal Theodore McCarrick which was published in the summer of 2004, and included these comments:
quote:
A Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for Holy Communion, if he were to deliberately vote for a candidate precisely because of the candidate's permissive stand on abortion and/or euthanasia...

...When a Catholic does not share a candidate's stand in favor of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons.

OK, it's not a direct precedent, but it appears to be similar enough to give Catholics some wiggle room - even if it does so by relying on the vague and subjective concept of proportionality.

( CNS version of the story
Washington Post version )

Good reading around Gareth...it seems that if you're a US presidential candidate, you can get away with advocating abortion as a human right for mothers perhaps with life-threatening health problems, and that this can be a "grey area", but if you're Amnesty International, the parameters are black and white only, and AI falls firmly in the black as far as the Vatican is concerned...why the double standards? Naive of me to ask that question I know...

And Angelika37, you said that you support abortion with mother's health is threatened by giving birth...so you're 50% on your way to supporting AI's positon then...presumably you don't agree with the rape/incest provision for abortion though?

In light of Gareth's research on the congregation of the faith statement and AI's recent anouncement, I wonder what the Vatican's position would be in the situation of a Presidential candidate who while otherwise in-line with Catholic teaching, supported abortion and was also an AI member...?

[ 15. June 2007, 23:52: Message edited by: feast of stephen ]

Tembrina2
Shipmate
# 12300

- Posted      Profile for Tembrina2   Email Tembrina2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lets assume that we all agree that:

1. It is wrong to torture
2. It is wrong to execute people
3. It is wrong to perform or have an abortion

How will this debate between AI and the RC stop one more person from being tortured, one more Chinese or American person from being executed, or one more fetus from being aborted? Is there any way that this split will reduce any of these? Or won't it just undermine human rights and fetal protections, as applied in our world, by splitting a great collaboration.

My first reaction is to think that AI is incredibly unwise to announce this policy because a reaction like this was so very predictable. What leads AI to conclude that taking a position on the decriminalization of abortion in certain cases (arguendo that it is the ideologically correct position) is worth the practical loss of support from such a strategic ally?

It is frustrating and sad because the RC and AI have worked together to confront some of the worst human rights abuses throughout the world.

--------------------
Everyone wages two battles: in dreams,struggling with God and awake, with the sea.

Posts: 79 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
feastofstephen:

interesting question. As I see it there are many who feel themselves to be *in-line* with Catholic (presumably you mean Roman Catholic) teaching and, indeed, practice, who, however, for whatever reason, choose not to undergo the formalities required for entry into the RCC. Should they choose to do so, I'm afraid they would be bound to support the teachings of the church on such matters, no matter what their status, President or Joe Blow in the back pew.

If you are asking whether a non-professed member of the RCC who is in sympathy with some teachings of the RCC, who also happens to be President of the US needs to bind him/herself to the totality of the RCC doctrine, clearly, since they are sympatico on some issues but not others, particularly those which the Magisterium has handed down as binding on the faithful, that same Magisterium, the *Vatican*, if you will, would have to say that such a person has put themselves outside the faith.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

- Posted      Profile for feast of stephen   Email feast of stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tembrina2:
Lets assume that we all agree that:

1. It is wrong to torture
2. It is wrong to execute people
3. It is wrong to perform or have an abortion

How will this debate between AI and the RC stop one more person from being tortured, one more Chinese or American person from being executed, or one more fetus from being aborted? Is there any way that this split will reduce any of these? Or won't it just undermine human rights and fetal protections, as applied in our world, by splitting a great collaboration.

My first reaction is to think that AI is incredibly unwise to announce this policy because a reaction like this was so very predictable. What leads AI to conclude that taking a position on the decriminalization of abortion in certain cases (arguendo that it is the ideologically correct position) is worth the practical loss of support from such a strategic ally?

It is frustrating and sad because the RC and AI have worked together to confront some of the worst human rights abuses throughout the world.

Yes it's very frustrating and sad.

What led Martin Luther King to think that taking a position against second class treatment for black people in the 60's US south was worth the struggle? Because he believed the position of the ruling whites was wrong. And was it predictable that the ruling whites would resist this move on the part of King and others? Yes. Does that mean that he shouldn't have bothered?

AI believe (amongst many other things) that women who have been raped/could die giving birth ought to be able to have abortions and that there should be adequate medical access for them to have them. Is it worth the struggle, even if the Vatican have a predictable position and are unlikely to budge on this for decades, and now that the Vatican has decided to "persecute" AI? In my opinion, yes.

One could argue that the Vatican is committing other sins, that of knowingly endangering the mother's life or manslaughter, or of causing psychological damage to the mother who may reject a child born of rape, and/or the child, or in the worst case scenario neglect or abuse a child born of such a situation.

So I still don't understand how in my opinion the Vatican can choose to stop one sin by committing another. Do two wrongs make a right?

[ 16. June 2007, 01:53: Message edited by: feast of stephen ]

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

feastofstephen:

interesting question. As I see it there are many who feel themselves to be *in-line* with Catholic (presumably you mean Roman Catholic) teaching and, indeed, practice, who, however, for whatever reason, choose not to undergo the formalities required for entry into the RCC. Should they choose to do so, I'm afraid they would be bound to support the teachings of the church on such matters, no matter what their status, President or Joe Blow in the back pew.

If you are asking whether a non-professed member of the RCC who is in sympathy with some teachings of the RCC, who also happens to be President of the US needs to bind him/herself to the totality of the RCC doctrine, clearly, since they are sympatico on some issues but not others, particularly those which the Magisterium has handed down as binding on the faithful, that same Magisterium, the *Vatican*, if you will, but who cannot assent to the other fundamentals, would have to say that such a person either does not have, or has put themselves outside, the faith.

So, basically, no, as the teachning stands right now, you cannot support abortion and be a member in good standing, or *in-line*, with the RCC.

--------------------

feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

quote:
feastofstephen:

If you are asking whether a non-professed member of the RCC who is in sympathy with some teachings of the RCC, who also happens to be President of the US needs to bind him/herself to the totality of the RCC doctrine, clearly, since they are sympatico on some issues but not others, particularly those which the Magisterium has handed down as binding on the faithful, that same Magisterium, the *Vatican*, if you will, would have to say that such a person has put themselves outside the faith.

Thanks for the reply, Jahlove. So if I understood correctly, looking at both your's and Gareth's posts, a Catholic voter can vote for a candidate who has put themselves outside the faith by supporting abortion and being an AI member, if he/she is otherwise "sound", but the Catholic voter cannot him/herself have an abortion under AI stated circumstances, or now be an AI member?

--------------------
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all" Oscar Wilde

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

And it's always interesting to me that people pick the *hardest of the hardest* cases to illustrate their points: things are often a bit different on the ground v. the ideals to which we are asked to aspire.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
..clearly, since they are sympatico on some issues but not others, particularly those which the Magisterium has handed down as binding on the faithful, that same Magisterium, the *Vatican*, if you will, would have to say that such a person has put themselves outside the faith.

This is an example where the Magisterium as infallible teaching authority orders the members to submit their intellect and will to untenable and contradictory doctrine.

RCC must hold that abortion is immoral, because it is murder, while itself holding doctrine that murder is acceptable in some cases, as above Vatican statement, but also where members are laity and have secular power in which case as long they exercise these powers under the 'spiritual sword's authority' then, for example, heretics can be tortured or put to death, exterminated.

Since the RCC teaches that murder is acceptable in some circumstances it can't argue that abortion even as murder isn't acceptable.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

quote:
And it's always interesting to me that people pick the *hardest of the hardest* cases to illustrate their points: things are often a bit different on the ground v. the ideals to which we are asked to aspire.

I chose a widely known event as an allegory to illustrate my point. And, talking of taking note of things on the ground, thousands, if not tens of thousands of women have been raped and made pregnant in Africa during various civil wars in the last 15 years. Many of those are Catholics. In my opinion, in this instance, Amnesty's ideals are closer to events on the ground than the Vatican's are.

--------------------
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all" Oscar Wilde

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

Er, no, feastofstephen, AIUI, one certainly could NOT vote for someone who supported policies that were in direct contradiction of the church's teaching. AFAIK, atm, the teaching of the church is that those who procure abortion are as *guilty* of *mortal sin* as those who undergo them.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016