homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A "personal" relationship with Jesus (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A "personal" relationship with Jesus
Dobbo
Shipmate
# 5850

- Posted      Profile for Dobbo   Email Dobbo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
I think it means something along the lines of "A person is not a Christian because her mother and father are Christians. A person is a Christian because she has developed her own friendship with God in Christ."

Which just moves the question into new words. What is a personal relationship with Christ? What does that look like? What is my own friendship with God in Christ? What would that look like?

How can anybody tell by looking at another whether they have this "personal relationship" with Jesus?

How can I tell by looking at myself whether I have this "personal relationship" with Jesus?

If I'm told over and over that I must have this "personal relationship" in order to be saved, but nobody tells me how I can determine whether or not I have it, I'm kind of in a perpetual panic mode. If I don't have it, I won't be saved, but I can never tell if I do have it.

I know there are people who (according to their own reports, which I have no reason to doubt) really feel the presence of God in their lives. I have no such feeling. I have heard many other people, of various levels of devoutness (according, again, to their own reports) say they believe themselves to be Christian, and yet have no such feeling.

It seems to me the language of "personal relationship" does more harm than good. Yes, you're not a Christian just because your parents were. Nevertheless an undefined "personal relationship" is an impossible criterion to apply usefully. Perhaps it's time to put it on the shelf.

quote:
Prayer is the key and cornerstone of our relationship with our Lord. Without prayer, there is no relationship with God. The "Good News" of the Gospel is that the unknowable and faceless God of the Old Testament has revealed Himself to the world; through the Incarnation of Jesus, God now has a "face"; through the Person of Jesus Christ we can enter a personal relationship with God. (John 14:6). Through prayer we can enter into this relationship with God; through prayer He reveals His will to us.

from American Carpatho Russian Orthodox Dicese of the USA

I think Orthodox Christians know exactly what a personal relationship with God is - at least going by this website quote.

Also a public apology to Callan

Callan I am sorry about the post I made - that could have been read in a different way than intended and as I said if you had wanted to you could have taken me to that warm place for it.

I do not think that my PM to you was enough and I apologise again for my comment.

I do not apologise for saying anything about Mugabe however as someone who behaves in the way he has behaved never was a Christian - an aspect of by their fruits you know them.

--------------------
I'm holding out for Grace......, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity
Bono

Posts: 395 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:
You said we can relate with a human being, Jesus... But Jesus IS NOT A HUMAN BEING. He is a Divine Being (since you want to use the term being in the way ordinary people nowadays use it) Who manifested Himself in the flesh.

A human being is a being with a human nature. Jesus has a human nature and a divine nature.[1] Thus Jesus is both a human being and a divine being.

Dafyd

[1] The use of the indefinite article does not imply that there is or could be more than one such nature.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbo:
I think Orthodox Christians know exactly what a personal relationship with God is - at least going by this website quote.

Yes, because of course (A) every website that claims to be Orthodox is; (B) Every Orthodox person agrees with every actual Orthodox website on every matter; and (C) There is nothing ever said by any Orthodox person or website that no other Orthodox fails to understand.

Can you see why your claim is offensive?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, too late. And of course (D) I was claiming all along to speak for every single Orthodox, and not just for myself.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been very hesitant to engage in this discussion, and wasn't entirely sure why until reading the last couple of pages and remembering why I don't like the phrase PRWJ, even though I can't object to it on principle. It's because I've had experiences of being asked "Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?" and saying (a bit hestitantly, because it's not my customary language) that I did, only to be told that my idea of a PRWJ didn't count, usually because it wasn't purely biblical (Josephine's post really resonated, though maybe in an off-center way).

I believe that the promptings of what might be called conscience are informed or guided by the Inward Light (which is not to say that conscience is the Light), which is the Word that was made flesh and enlightens everyone. That's what I mean if I'm compelled to talk about a PRWJ. I have had a few intense experiences of the presence of God (the last one about 25 years ago), but that's not what I'm talking about.

PRWJ, for me, means simply that the Light is the LIght of Christ which enlightens everyone who comes into the world. So everyone has a PRWJ. Including Buddhists, Muslims, and Pagans--and even atheists. For some people, it may be a rather conflictual relationship (not even on speaking terms), but it is the nature of relationships to go through stages and transitions...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
The exact words “personal relationship” might not be in the Bible, but relational language certainly is.

If that's what you mean, personal language is used throughout our prayers and services. So, for example, The Akathist of Thanksgiving, The Akathist to the Sweetest Lord Jesus, and akathist prayers to the saints (like this one to my patron, St. Joseph the Betrothed) are intensely, poetically, personal.

We don't have any problem at all with personal language.

That is the sort of thing I mean - and thank you for the links to such beautiful examples of what I mean.

It's because I know that Orthodoxy cherishes such prayers as those, that I was surprised to see any Orthodox antipathy to the words "personal relationship with Jesus". Your explanation that those are loaded words makes sense, though.

The words just don't carry the same baggage for me. And therefore it seems to me almost self-evident that the person who wrote, or who sincerely prays, something like the Akathist of Thanksgiving, has, or is trying to have, a personal relationship with God in the ordinary, unladen, meaning of those words. It seems to me to be a way of referring one's life, and particularly every blessing in one's life, to God, and acknowledging him in everything - relating to him, person to Person. I couldn't possible use the words "personal relationship" to exclude Christianity like that. It is my (very feeble and imperfect) attempt to live a Christian life which I wish was like that, that I am trying to describe when I claim to have a personal relationship.

In answer to Mousethief's question (is a PRWJ the same as a PRWAE), I think I agree with Trudy. It's a different person, and a different sort of person, so its a different relationship. But the words are used in the same sort of way.

I think "feedback" is a common feature of relationships, but not an essential one. For example, Mrs Eliab is nearly nine months pregnant. We've never seen our nearly-baby. She hasn't spoken with us. We have only the vaguest (and possibly quite inaccurate) idea of what she is like. We do have a relationship with her. It is a "personal" relationship at least on our side (that is, our personalities are involved). God is obviously a very different sort of entity to relate to, but there is still a relationship there that does not depend on the ability to have a two-way conversation with him.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
It's because I know that Orthodoxy cherishes such prayers as those, that I was surprised to see any Orthodox antipathy to the words "personal relationship with Jesus".

It might be saying too much to say that there is "Orthodox antipathy" to that phrase. Orthodox Christians in other countries, such as Andreas, don't have the same experience with it that I do, and so hear it in the way that you mean it, the way that Trudy and Seeker mean it. I wish I could.

The problem, of course, is that language is a social construct, not an individual one. It exists between people, and is based on mutual understanding and experience. You and I both know what we mean by blue, or milk or by any number of other words. When you order coffee at a restaurant, you know what you'll be getting, because your experience with the use of the word has taught you to associate it with a particular dark beverage. That's how language works.

Unfortunately, my experience with the use of the phrase "personal relationship with Jesus" has taught me to associate it with the beliefs I outlined earlier. I can't hear the phrase apart from my experience of when and how and why and by whom it was used, any more than I can hear "coffee" apart from my experience of that word.

You have added something to my experience of the word -- but, sadly, I can't trust that the next person who uses it will mean by it what you mean by it.

It could be that, over time, people like you can take the word back, rehabilitate it, and the people who use it as abuse will have to find a new term to use. There's a wonderful short story about a black man who does exactly that with the Confederate battle flag. It's possible.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dobbo
Shipmate
# 5850

- Posted      Profile for Dobbo   Email Dobbo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:

Yes, because of course (A) every website that claims to be Orthodox is;

Can you see why your claim is offensive?

a) For clarification to me - are these website I have quoted from genuine orthodox sites ?

I appreciate why it may sound offensive as it suggests you understand what a personal relationship is because that would make it sound like you were trolling and I apologise for that.

quote:
WE ARE NOT HERE JUST FOR OUR OWN PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST, BUT TO SHARE THAT RELATIONSHIP WITH ALL OTHER PEOPLE.
OCA youth page. Incidentally the caps are in the quote I have not altered it. I particularly would draw your attention to the word JUST

I know that they are orthodox because it is in the links from your own church website.

--------------------
I'm holding out for Grace......, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity
Bono

Posts: 395 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all: I've been away hence my non-response after my initial post. Plenty to ponder.

I will say I have troubles with the term, but that may be me: I can see that such a term can also be used in many ways.

quote:
from American Carpatho Russian Orthodox Dicese of the USA

[tangent]
I'd thought all the Carpathian Ruthenians (?: is this the correct term?) were Roman Catholics (Uniates) -- thanks for the correction.
[/tangent]

With regards to the Orthodox sites, with no offence nor judging meant, many of those vocal in the US are evangelical converts: I've noticed that in talks or articles many 'evangelical terms' are used. I don't see a problem with this, and all power to them for using terms people understand: I'm just pointing out that often I'll hear phrases or terms used by 'former Protestants' that I wouldn't hear 'cradle Orthodox' use. Being in a parish that is 95%+ cradle (not as many converts Down Under as elsewhere: diocese must be 99%+ cradle), sometimes these terms (such as "personal relationship") cause my ears to prick-up: but, as I wrote above, that most likely is my issue and my problem I need to overcome.

[ 29. April 2007, 11:41: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fauja

Lesser known misfit
# 2054

- Posted      Profile for Fauja   Email Fauja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Fauja:
When it comes to expressing your point of view about your own spiritual beliefs, there isn't necessarily a right/wrong, correct/incorrect, appropriate/inappropraite way of doing it.

Sometimes, yes there is. If my way of describing my spiritual beliefs results in my talking nonsense, for example. If I believe that God can create a stone too heavy for God to lift. Or if I say, 'God is a square circle', you can pull me up on it. In spite of the supposed sanctity, in these days of consumer spirituality, of 'my way of expressing my beliefs', you would be correct so to do.
Sometimes, yes, and that is why I used the word "necessarily" in relation to the kind of things we are saying in response to the OP.

The last words of Jesus recorded in Matthew are:

quote:
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
The word "with" implies something more personal than some people would have us believe. Whether or not we like the expression PRWJ or think it a suitable way of describing the level of faith we have, doesn't have any bearing on whether or not we can actually have that relationship.

Again in Ephesians 1:17, Paul prays:

quote:
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
How can knowing him better mean anything other than something personal?
Posts: 829 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I know that they are orthodox because it is in the links from your own church website.

I list four objections to your post. I am wrong on one; you ignore the other three. Let's get back to those, shall we?

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fauja:
Again in Ephesians 1:17, Paul prays:

quote:
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
How can knowing him better mean anything other than something personal?
Fauja, I am not saying that Christians cannot or do not have a relationship with God, or that the relationship is not, in some manner, personal.

I am saying that I object to the phrase, "a personal relationship with Jesus," because in my experience, those who use it define it in a particularly narrow way. In my experience, having a personal relationship with Jesus is defined as having had a conversion experience, holding an inerrantist view of Scriptures, and using exclusively extemporaneous prayers. Furthermore, in my experience, the definition specifically excludes any relationship with Jesus that is communal and liturgical, and of which tradition and ritual are important components. Therefore, the use of this term, in my experience, can normally be understood as saying, "I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I am a Christian. You don't. You aren't."

I am aware that not everyone who uses this expression intends it in this way. I am also aware that, within the Bible and within the prayers and liturgies of the Church, there is language that describes our relationship with God.

And yet I am also aware that there are people, such as Middle Son, to whom this kind of language makes absolutely no sense at all. It has been difficult for him to learn how to have a personal relationship with people whom he sees and interacts with every day. For many years, his relationship with other human beings was very much like his relationship with video game characters -- but he generally liked the video game characters better, because they were more predictable, and he understood them better. If someone were to tell him that a Christian should or must have a personal relationship with Jesus, he would either conclude that they were nutters, and that Christianity is just bizarre, and he wants nothing to do with it, or he would conclude that he's not a Christian and it's impossible for him to be so.

For these reasons -- because in my experience it is both hateful and harmful -- I have a rather intense dislike for this particular phrase.

I understand that there are people who use it to describe their own relationship with God, who are not using it to trash others, and who mean no harm by it. In charity, I understand that it is up to me to accept the kindest possible interpretation of their words and actions. When I hear it, I should not doubt that they are using it in innocence and good will. I hope you understand how difficult that can be.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
To me - although I might disagree with some details - Revolutionist's overall description is, I think, fairly classic.

Here's what I heard when I read Revolutionist's description:

quote:
evangelicals such as myself often use the term "personal relationship" in contrast to, say, a corporate relationship, such as between God and with humanity in general, or in contrast to having to go through another human person or institution as a mediator. Because we all know that you can go directly to God, and priests are unnecessary, and sacraments and saints are just evil and vile things that get in the way of a personal relationship with God, so if you go to a priest to confess your sins instead of confessing directly to God, or if you think the prayers of the saints are of any benefit to you, and you pray to them instead of praying to God, then you don't have a personal relationship with Jesus and aren't really a Christian at all.

It isn't just that Jesus died and rose for mankind in general, he did that for me. And if you haven't had a conversion experience like I had, you're not really a Christian. What's more, I can pray to him and hear him speaking to me personally, not just through a priest or Church institution or whatever. And if you think Church and priest are important to the way you relate to God, you're just flat wrong.
God is at work in my life specifically as well as the world generally. He knows me intimately, and I can have an experience of God myself, rather than it just being for some super-holy religious elite or anything like that. Because, of course, any tradition that has things like monks and nuns and priests and saints believes that God only works in those people, and doesn't work in or care about ordinary people, and if you benighted people would just believe what I believe, and accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior (because, obviously, you know, you haven't done that, since you use incense and icons and your church has a priest that wears funny robes, and you call your priest Father and you all say prayers in unison, which God doesn't like), you could have a personal relationship with Jesus, too, and be just like me, because I'm a real Christian and you, obviously, are not.

And, since I don't know Revolutionist as well as I know some other Shipmates, I'm not sure whether he means it that way or not. I'd like to believe he doesn't. But it's hard for me to hear it any other way.

I think that's very unfair and stereotyped, and not at all what I had in mind. Just because some Christians who use the language of a "personal relationship" use it to denigrate those who don't doesn't mean that all who use it do, and neither is it inherent in the idea of a "personal relationship".

Also, "a personal relationship with Jesus" is not terminology I'd normally use - partly because it's become just a fairly empty piece of evangelical jargon. I've come across it being used as a piece of jargon, but not in the aggressive "Are you a Real Christian™?" sense that some people have mentioned - I think that may well be more an American thing. In my experience, it's just cheesy rather than insulting.

The other reason I'm not keen on the phrase is I think it suggests an overly individualistic understanding of the faith. I would agree that the corporate relationship Christians have with the Church and through the Church is of immense importance to the personal relationship - both are caught up in each other. As I said in a previous post, I don't see it as an either/or between personal and corporate, but a both/and.

I think it's fair to say that Protestantism generally stresses the individual aspect of our faith more than Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy. And speaking as an evangelical protestant, I'd dispute the necessity of the role of the priest and sacraments understood in an Orthodox or Catholic way to being a "Real Christian", but I certainly wouldn't say that having a more corporate emphasis or more sacramental understanding of the faith stops you being a "Real Christian".

I'm not going to go through and specifically state my disagreement with each individual piece of stereotyping that was read into what I said, but it is just that - stereotyping, and not at all a reflection of what I think.

quote:
I am saying that I object to the phrase, "a personal relationship with Jesus," because in my experience, those who use it define it in a particularly narrow way. In my experience, having a personal relationship with Jesus is defined as having had a conversion experience, holding an inerrantist view of Scriptures, and using exclusively extemporaneous prayers. Furthermore, in my experience, the definition specifically excludes any relationship with Jesus that is communal and liturgical, and of which tradition and ritual are important components. Therefore, the use of this term, in my experience, can normally be understood as saying, "I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I am a Christian. You don't. You aren't."
Well, that's not my experience of the phrase, as I said above - jargon, not an insult. But it's helpful to know the baggage the phrase carries for some people, and if that's the kind of thing it suggests to some, then that's another reason for me to avoid the phrase, or at least to be very, very careful if I ever use it.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
I still don't see why "personal" in this context has to be opposed to corporate. As I said before, to me the opposite of "personal" in this context would be "impersonal" -- i.e. a Deist concept of God, remote and uninterested in my life. I wouldn't expect a Deist to have a PRWJ. But I have always assumed that Catholics and Orthodox and all other kinds of devout Christians had PRsWJ even if they did not use that language to describe it. The greater emphasis on the corporate experience (which is important too, even in most evangelical Protestant traditions), and even the use of priests as mediators, does nothing (in my mind) to decrease the "personal" nature of the individual's relationship with Jesus. It is both personal AND corporate -- we share it and deepen it through worshipping with other believers -- neither excludes the other.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Personal as opposed to impersonal is probably a better contrast.
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine, thanks for your last post; I found it very clear and easy to get what you were saying (though sad, because I am really unhappy with people who use religious language to draw boundaries and keep others outside), and I think this whole thread has been, for me, a really useful illustration of how much baggage can be carried by what may seem to one person to be quite innocuous language.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hermes66
Shipmate
# 12156

- Posted      Profile for Hermes66   Email Hermes66   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not attend a church, so of necessity my relationship with Jesus IS a personal one.

Faith is personal, even if it's professed openly each week in front of other people, or even daily: it pertains to YOU and your understanding of your divinity. Surely each of us here has had direct experience of Him speaking to us, directly to our hearts? To me, that's extremely personal (especially when it's unexpected, unbidden and revelatory).

Then, I am not one for doctrine: I just read the New Testament every day and try to live by Jesus' rules. Sitting in church would drive me crazy; I feel closer to Him when I'm doing ordinary things with others, or when alone with my thoughts. On reflection, I feel near Him most of the time. I can't really describe the feeling but it 'feels' good. Which is an extremely intimate and personal experience.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Actually on a real ship but not all at sea

Posts: 523 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admire those who have the personal discipline to have an entirely individual experience of faith. For me, and others like me, it is necessary to have a corporate experience, otherwise it probably just wouldn't happen.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The problem, of course, is that language is a social construct, not an individual one. It exists between people, and is based on mutual understanding and experience. You and I both know what we mean by blue, or milk or by any number of other words. When you order coffee at a restaurant, you know what you'll be getting, because your experience with the use of the word has taught you to associate it with a particular dark beverage. That's how language works.

Unfortunately, my experience with the use of the phrase "personal relationship with Jesus" has taught me to associate it with the beliefs I outlined earlier. I can't hear the phrase apart from my experience of when and how and why and by whom it was used, any more than I can hear "coffee" apart from my experience of that word.

You have added something to my experience of the word -- but, sadly, I can't trust that the next person who uses it will mean by it what you mean by it.

It could be that, over time, people like you can take the word back, rehabilitate it, and the people who use it as abuse will have to find a new term to use. There's a wonderful short story about a black man who does exactly that with the Confederate battle flag. It's possible.

It's a bit like the word "Christian" used by some super zapped up extremo Proddies which excludes most of my friends who are Christian: Anglicans, Catholics et sim.

My most personal time with Jesus is when I receive Holy Communion. N-O-T-H-I-N-G matches it.

And I don't give a hoot what the Rev'd Jedediah Bludger of The Ghastly Last Remnant Christian Loony Tune Church of Vulture, Colorado thinks!

May God bless and protect traditional, sane, mainstream Christianity from the self-appointed evangelists of "trooth" and bring the moronic machinations of the latter to naught!

[Cool]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hermes66
Shipmate
# 12156

- Posted      Profile for Hermes66   Email Hermes66   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I admire those who have the personal discipline to have an entirely individual experience of faith. For me, and others like me, it is necessary to have a corporate experience, otherwise it probably just wouldn't happen.

I'm just a coward: I couldn't face a whole congregation of people and profess my faith. I'm coming out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Also, I like all the old tunes I grew up with, the old liturgy I had at school, the old way of saying Our Father, a solemn 'High' Mass: you don't get much of that round here, I'm afraid. I seem to be in a sea of Prosperity Gospel churches and I cannot subscribe to that, given Christ's chosen poverty and work with the outsiders. Add to that a family of atheists and scoffers, I'm a very quiet follower of Jesus - though when pushed I will talk about my faith, much to the bemusement / shame of my relatives...

I am the lost sheep of the family because I found Jesus - how very ironic.

[Smile]

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
And I don't give a hoot what the Rev'd Jedediah Bludger of The Ghastly Last Remnant Christian Loony Tune Church of Vulture, Colorado thinks!

May God bless and protect traditional, sane, mainstream Christianity from the self-appointed evangelists of "trooth" and bring the moronic machinations of the latter to naught!

[Cool]

See, this is the kind of discourse that really builds bridges within the Body of Christ. [Frown]

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just another personal story of personal antipathy to the phrase, "personal relationship with Jesus". The guy from the local Baptist church who came round my door one day a few years ago asked me if I had "a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." I said that I had, but didn't call it that, and unpacked that a bit, explaining that I was an Episcopalian. He said that I did not then have that sort of relationship, and implied that Episcopal Church was the next step over to Rome. Interestingly, he also asked me if I "knew for sure" that I was going to Heaven when I died. I said, I hoped so, but to say I was sure seemed presumptuous to me, as it wasn't going to be my judgment call, was it? So no, I didn't "know" that. Also, I said, while resurrrection at the last day is promised, it wasn't at all clear what was going to be going on in the middle time between death and resurrection. It all went rather downhill from there...

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Hermes66:
Surely each of us here has had direct experience of Him speaking to us, directly to our hearts?

Ummm, no. There are many Christians who have never had any such experience, ever. These are often the folks who have a great problem with the expression "personal relationship with Jesus," because they expect that, with such a relationship, they should have such feelings and experiences, and they don't.

Oh, and Sir Pellinore? I suppose that last remark of yours doesn't constitute a personal attack, since it wasn't directed against any particular person. However, it was totally unnecessary and just plain rude.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realize on this thread that my personal experience with a personal experience is very hard to describe in ways that make sense to others.

So far, I haven't felt that anyone has asked me the PRWJ question in an attempt to determine if I'm on the "right" path or not and then convert me to the "right" path--and I certainly would never do the same for others, especially those who have made it clear that while they have never had an experience they can call a PRWJ, they have much spiritual nurturing within their own religious tradtions--or those who feel they have had a PRWJ but also feel it doesn't fit in with the kinds of examples posted here.

IRL, however, one has other ways to determine if a conversation is being used to challenge or decry. It's similar to the question "Are you saved?" The way it's asked, the tone of voice, the context in which it came up, etc.

When I perceive that someone IRL is trying to back me into a corner with the phrase or the question--or is using them as a prelude to trying to convert me, I simply answer "yes" and "yes" to both questions.

Dialogue is important, and finding common ground with language usage is important. But sometimes IRL, dialogue isn't going to happen.

I'm glad we have an opportunity here to engage in the kind of discussion that I don't see very often out in the world at large.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who use the phrase PRWJ, or for whom the phrase makes sense in a helpful way -- would "personal relationship with God" or "personal relationship with God the Father" or "personal relationship with the Holy Spirit" mean the same things? Similar things? Mostly different things?

[ 30. April 2007, 14:13: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hermes66
Shipmate
# 12156

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hermes66:
Surely each of us here has had direct experience of Him speaking to us, directly to our hearts?

Ummm, no. There are many Christians who have never had any such experience, ever. These are often the folks who have a great problem with the expression "personal relationship with Jesus," because they expect that, with such a relationship, they should have such feelings and experiences, and they don't.

Oh, I'm sorry to assume. *cringes.

Some people have enormous Faith, then, to carry on without an external sign of encouragement from Him. I would assume the 'fuzzy touchy feely PRWJ' accounts must be sorely trying, in those circumstances.

[Frown]

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

For those who use the phrase PRWJ, or for whom the phrase makes sense in a helpful way -- would "personal relationship with God" or "personal relationship with God the Father" or "personal relationship with the Holy Spirit" mean the same things? Similar things? Mostly different things?

I don't tend to use the term PRWJ, but I do use the terms "personal relationship with God/Holy Spirit/Universe."

I have theological reasons for using those words rather than PRWJ--even though the ministry of Jesus has affected me profoundly. And I don't want to start a tangent by getting into who Christ is to me, etc.

Since PRWJ is used so widely, AR, is substituting words here adding to the confusion or making things clearer? I'm not sure. Good of you to offer, though. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mean to be actually proposing a substitute phrase one way or the other. I'm curious about how people will answer, so I can try to understand the phrase (and the ideas people mean by it) better by understanding what it relates to and how.

[ 30. April 2007, 14:55: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would use the phrase "a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit", just like the ancient Church used the phrase "God created the Universe through His Word in His Spirit"...

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
andreas, that wording works just fine for me.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A simple question: do you talk to Jesus in your prayers?

If so, this is both personal and relational.

Who needs theology when you can just have faith?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Callan I am sorry about the post I made - that could have been read in a different way than intended and as I said if you had wanted to you could have taken me to that warm place for it.
Somehow I missed this earlier. Anyway, thanks for this Dobbo - I appreciate it. As its a tangent on the thread lets just agree to differ.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Talking is not what communion with God is about. It can help when one makes the first steps towards God, but since God is beyond the human intellect, communion with God is also beyond human ways like talking. It can help but it's not all there is to it.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Just another personal story of personal antipathy to the phrase, "personal relationship with Jesus". The guy from the local Baptist church who came round my door one day a few years ago asked me if I had "a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." I said that I had, but didn't call it that, and unpacked that a bit, explaining that I was an Episcopalian. He said that I did not then have that sort of relationship, and implied that Episcopal Church was the next step over to Rome. Interestingly, he also asked me if I "knew for sure" that I was going to Heaven when I died. I said, I hoped so, but to say I was sure seemed presumptuous to me, as it wasn't going to be my judgment call, was it? So no, I didn't "know" that. Also, I said, while resurrection at the last day is promised, it wasn't at all clear what was going to be going on in the middle time between death and resurrection. It all went rather downhill from there...

I have had a few experiences like this as well which turned me off the whole con-evo thing.

I attended a con-evo (Nazarene) university for 3 years and my classmates believed you must have a "personal" relationship with Jesus in order to be saved. A few classmates privately felt great anguish because, like Mousethief (and myself), they did not receive sensory communication from God. Because they believed that this is what a personal relationship with God meant and a personal relationship was necessary to be "saved" (going to heaven), they worried that they were not saved and that it was a rejection of them by God.

Thanks Trudy for your contribution. It has helped me look at the term differently.

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
I would use the phrase "a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit", just like the ancient Church used the phrase "God created the Universe through His Word in His Spirit"...

I like this one, as well. It feels very open.

sabine

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:

If so, this is both personal and relational.

Who needs theology when you can just have faith?

The reason you need theology and not just faith should be clear if you read the above and replace Jesus with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, Josephine: Once you've been touched by his noodly appendage, you're never the same. [Biased]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, the statement, 'I don't need theology in my relationship with Jesus, because I have faith' looks very much like a theological statement.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me, for I didn't mean to diss theology per se. I think I was alluding to the simplicity of faith that can be had even if one is steeped in theology - a faith that can simply say that one 'talks to Jesus'.

I am more than aware, Andreas, that 'communion', as you put it, is more than talking, but one cannot escape the fact that we all approach God with words, that Jesus himself used words and that he taught us some words to pray.

My point was simply this - that if one can pray to God as an individual talks to another individual - (like Moses spoke as a friend to a friend) then that signifies 'personal relationship'.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
I am more than aware, Andreas, that 'communion', as you put it, is more than talking, but one cannot escape the fact that we all approach God with words, that Jesus himself used words and that he taught us some words to pray.

Words are the first step in our journey... We can go beyond words and "pray with the heart", praying at all times undisturbed by what takes place around us...

Christ used words, but those words where shades of the truth the Holy Spirit was supposed to effect on in Pentecost. He even taught us some words to pray, but he didn't define the wholeness of praying that way.

--------------------

Fauja

Lesser known misfit
# 2054

- Posted      Profile for Fauja   Email Fauja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The reason you need theology and not just faith should be clear if you read the above and replace Jesus with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ah, but you see one person's 'theology' is another person's 'personal relationship with Jesus' in so far as there are certain words and expressions that can carry all kinds of connotations that aren't necessarily intended by the person who is using them. I don't really want to get bogged down by feeling obliged to communicate a particular way though I take the point that listeners/readers might not misunderstand or be turned off by our use of language.

In any case, we can always get to know people more and let their life speak to us, which in turn should give us a better understanding of the difference their faith makes to them. Or if we are just reading and don't have much opportunity to get to know the author, we can look at the broader context of what is said and overlook any particular expressions that niggle us. Surely, for those of us who do believe in Jesus, the priority should be deepening in faith rather than trying to be all things to all people in our choice of language.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

Words are the first step in our journey... We can go beyond words and "pray with the heart", praying at all times undisturbed by what takes place around us...

Christ used words, but those words where shades of the truth the Holy Spirit was supposed to effect on in Pentecost. He even taught us some words to pray, but he didn't define the wholeness of praying that way.

So people who use words are at the first stage of the journey, whereas you are so much further on? Interesting.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog:
So people who use words are at the first stage of the journey, whereas you are so much further on? Interesting.

I don't think andreas1984 was saying that. I think there are some aspects of faith that are very hard to put into words, and that when you get into religion in a deep way, these things become very, very relevant.

I also think that one always has to go back to the basics in order to continue going forward, so the words are always relevant. They just aren't everything.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

I see where andreas described the later steps in the journey, but I missed where he said he had attained to them. I have a prescription for new reading glasses but haven't managed to get it filled yet; that must be the problem. Could you point out that part of his post, Mudfrog? Ever obliged.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

[Cool]

See, this is the kind of discourse that really builds bridges within the Body of Christ. [Frown]
Let her who is perfect, if not a Perfect 10, cast the first stone, O Divinely Scrumtous One.

Preferably with a maturity level above that of a 10 year old.

But then again, I suppose you're being yourself!

[Eek!] [Help] [Snore]

--------------------
Well...

Fauja

Lesser known misfit
# 2054

I had a conversation with a Christian woman recently who referred to God as her 'honey-bunny'! PRWJ, it seems to me, is quite mild by comparison but I can see how a lot of the problems outlined in this thread have much to do with association of words with bad experiences and not just the words themselves.

Sometimes it's hard to break through that 'Me and Jesus are getting on just fine without you , thank you!' attitude that I find a challenge but then again, if we're really honest about it, none of us are perfect and we can all allow our personal preferences to get in the way of harmonious relations with God.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'm not perfect, Sir Pellinore, but I don't think name-calling and making fun of people whose "brand" of Christianity differs from ours, does anything to advance the cause of Christian unity. Much of this thread has been devoted to Christians from more catholic traditions saying that they feel their traditions and practice have been vilified and demeaned by those who use the term "personal relationship with Jesus" in a particular way. I felt that your post was doing the same thing from the opposite direction. Sorry if my method of pointing it out sounded like a 10-year-old, but derisive name calling, especially when done by Christians, of other Christians, irritates me.

--------------------
Books and things.

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
I felt that your post was doing the same thing from the opposite direction. Sorry if my method of pointing it out sounded like a 10-year-old, but derisive name calling, especially when done by Christians, of other Christians, irritates me.

Trudy, I agree with you. And your method of pointing it out did not sound like a 10-year-old. It was, IMNSVHO, restrained and reasonable.

FWIW.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
For those who use the phrase PRWJ, or for whom the phrase makes sense in a helpful way -- would "personal relationship with God" or "personal relationship with God the Father" or "personal relationship with the Holy Spirit" mean the same things?

I'd tend to say "personal relationship with God". I don't think you could have a relationship with one Person of the Trinity and not involve the others - the Son and the Spirit point us to the Father and he is known through them. That's not to say that a "personal relationship with God the Father" or "with the Holy Spirit" (or "with Jesus") aren't meaningful expressions - I think they are, very much so - just that for me "personal relationship with God covers it all.

I suppose the reason to emphasise Jesus as the Person with whom one has the relationship is that Jesus is both a human person with whom to relate, and is also a particularly good, and uniquely Christian, illustration of what God is like. To emphasise Jesus, a person who really lived as a human amongst humans, and loved us and died for us, contrasts with the (supposed) picture of God as distant or apathetic which is being rejected when someone asserts a personal relationship.

(I stress that I do not think that someone's idea of God is of a distant or apathetic being, simply because they do not use or like the expression "personal relationship").

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

It sounded incredibly juvenile, TS.

Life is not Cloud Cuckoo Land. There are some very, very nasty people there posing as "Christians". I avoid them like the plague.

"Save yourself and the world lies at your feet". St Augustine.

Josephine: you are not the host in this thread. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Well...

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I don't see what Josephine was doing that elicited that response, Sir P. She said or did nothing host-like -- nor did I; I was responding to you as a Shipmate involved in the discussion, not as a host. I know there are some unpleasant Christians, of all denominational stripes. I still don't think that caricaturing and mocking someone else's form of Christianity (while clearly labelling yourself as part of "traditional, sane, mainstream Christianity" to show that you're on the "right" side of this particular boundary) is helpful or useful.

I'm sorry you didn't like my use of sarcasm to criticize your mockery, but I guess either one -- my sarcasm, or your mockery -- might be considered childish, depending on one's perspective.

Guess we will have to disagree on the appropriateness of name-calling. I once wrote an angry letter to a conservative Christian radio ministry taking them to task for using mocking and derisive language on their program to caricature non-Christians, liberals, and other people they disagreed with -- in much the same tone, though less inflammatory language, that you just used to caricature conservative evangelicals. Someone at the ministry wrote me back a long and articulate email defending the use of derisive, demeaning language with examples ranging from St. Paul to Martin Luther and touching on a variety of other famous Christians. So I guess that kind of discourse has its place, but I do think it hurts more than it helps.

--------------------
Books and things.

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it might help to hear the voices of some very traditional Christians, some Roman Catholic nuns who sing very beautifully some hymns that are often not sung any more, but which show the personal relationship with Jesus that can develop between Jesus and any Christian, regardless of the "churchmanship" or other approach to Christ that the Church takes.

I would like to recommend trying to listen here to the brief samples of hymns on those nuns' album "I need Thee":

Daughters of Mary

These hymn samples are brief, but you can hear the gentle emotions of the nuns as they sing, and to me it shows how one develops that "personal relationship" in spite of oneself sometimes, no matter how one initially approaches Our Lord in prayer. The third sample, "Good Night, Sweet Jesus" will illustrate what I'm talking about.

Best wishes, Mary

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016