homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: How much of Western Christianity is Unitarian? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: How much of Western Christianity is Unitarian?
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:
You see, the ancient fathers explained that when we say that the three divine persons have one will, we don't mean that they will the same thing, but that their way of willing is the same.

Thank you, andreas. That is perfectly clear. They are of one mind, as it were, even if they will different things.

How do you keep this distinct from polytheism?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't say they will different things. I said that willing the same thing is not a sign of oneness.

I think that we should do some more research about what polytheism means. Because all the fathers I have read say that polytheism is to believe that there are different divine natures and not that there is one divine nature in more than one divine persons. You seem to be thinking that polytheism has a different meaning...

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
quote:
But either way, if there is absolute unity and congruence, how is there differentiation? And if there is differentiation, how are there not multiple gods?

My own understanding of the first question is that it is simply the case that it is so. It doesn't require further explanation. If there are three different hypostases, then they are, of necessity, distinct. What makes the Trinity different from any three of us is precisely that unity and congruence, as it were.
OK. I guess that's an explanation.

So the difference between distinction in God and distinction in humanity is that distinction in God doesn't involve any kind of distinction? [Confused]

[Confused] I've read and re-read this and I still don't understand how you've got that from what I said.

I didn't say that there was no distinction. In fact, I've spent most of my participation in this thread saying the exact opposite to that. If there are three Persons, how can there possibly not be distinction? They are distinct and separate, and there is nothing in that that implies tritheism or any other form of polytheism because their nature, their essence, their substance, or whichever word you prefer, is one and the same.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I didn't say they will different things. I said that willing the same thing is not a sign of oneness.

OK. So they do will the same thing?
quote:
I think that we should do some more research about what polytheism means. Because all the fathers I have read say that polytheism is to believe that there are different divine natures and not that there is one divine nature in more than one divine persons. You seem to be thinking that polytheism has a different meaning...

According to that definition wouldn't the gods on Olympus have one divine nature? Aren't they the classic example of polytheism?

According to
wikipedia:
quote:
Polytheism refers to the honouring of 'many deities', each of whom is experienced and acknowledged as an independent, individual personality, not as an aspect or archetype of something else.
So the hypostases of the trinity are not "aspects" of the one God, but neither are they individual personalities.

An interesting point in the wiki article:
quote:
Hard polytheists believe that gods are distinct and separate beings. Hard polytheists may believe in a unifying principle such as the One of the Platonists.

Soft polytheists regard their multiplicity of Gods as being manifestations of either common entities, or representing different aspects or facets of a single personal God, the latter also sometimes known as "inclusive monotheists", as are many modern neopagan groups.

I don't think that your description of the trinity fits into either of these camps.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not trying to understand what is polytheism by looking at the current use of the word, but by looking at the way the ancient confessors and fathers understood the term...

I agree with you that today we might call polytheism the existence of more than one divine persons. This does not mean that our use of the word is historically and theologically accurate.

So, it would be better if we reflected on what the Saints wrote on polytheism and not what modern people understand that term to mean.

Man is an impressive creature. Not only partakes in the world of the senses, but also in the spiritual dimensions of creation. Man is called to be a co-creator with God.

In the paragraph above, I spoke of man being one and not many, not because there is only one human person, but because there is one human nature. I can do the same for God.

The question is how I can communicate to you that that unity in nature is in fact monotheism and not polytheism... I guess that I have to shed further light into my own understanding and then try to engage with you on the oneness of nature and monotheism.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
[Confused] I've read and re-read this and I still don't understand how you've got that from what I said.

I got this from your statement:
quote:
What makes the Trinity different from any three of us is precisely that unity and congruence, as it were.
My thought is that a perfect unity and congruence means "no distinction."
quote:
I didn't say that there was no distinction. In fact, I've spent most of my participation in this thread saying the exact opposite to that. If there are three Persons, how can there possibly not be distinction? They are distinct and separate, and there is nothing in that that implies tritheism or any other form of polytheism because their nature, their essence, their substance, or whichever word you prefer, is one and the same.

Both you and andreas are saying over and over that the nature is the same but the persons are distinct - and yet that this is neither unity or tritheism. Your philosophy appears to be so deeply ingrained that this makes sense to you and does not appear to be a contradiction. You say repeatedly that we don't understand - as if we have not studied theology. So far you have not said anything that makes me think that I don't understand.

I understand that you really believe what you are saying. I'm just saying that it doesn't hold together, as far as I can see. I could be wrong.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I am not trying to understand what is polytheism by looking at the current use of the word, but by looking at the way the ancient confessors and fathers understood the term...

I understand that you care what the ancient confessors and father thought. But they are no more authoritative to me than Swedenborg is to you. I don't think that it matters how they understood the term - what matters is the actual truth. I have read some of them in the past, and am interested to read them now so that I can understand where you are coming from.

Yet when I quote Augustine or Athanasius I hear that they don't really count. [Roll Eyes]

I would prefer that you reference sources that are more widely accepted, such as the Bible.
quote:
I agree with you that today we might call polytheism the existence of more than one divine persons. This does not mean that our use of the word is historically and theologically accurate.

The point, I think, is whether there is actually a multiplicity of gods in the mind of the worshiper.

I contend that the thought of more than one divine person makes that happen. I understand that they can be seen in a way that is, in fact, one God and not many. But you seem very clearly to see the Father as the one God, and the others - YAHWEH or the Son, and the Holy Spirit - as distinct from Him. You seem to be unaware of the problems and contradictions of this view. Correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Dear Freddy

You spoke of the gods ancient Greeks believed in. It is a mistake to focus on the 12 gods that lived in Olympus. They were part of the Greek pantheon, but they were not all that was in Greek religion. There are the Titans, whose nature is so much different from the human-like 12 Gods of Olympus, and the Fates -women that controlled fate, whom even Zeus was not powerful enough to influence- and Pan and semi-divine beings and lesser gods...

This is polytheism. They willed in different ways, operated in different ways, their power was of different way; their nature was different. This is not the case with the three divine persons.

By the way, I did not say that Athanasios is not a valid source. I said that the creed that is falsely attributed to him is not a valid source. There is a difference between the two.

It all boils down to revelation. When the holy men interacted with someone that was not God the Father, someone distinct from God the Father, who had the same nature with God the Father, they realized that to say God is one person is a mistake.

Of course, the fathers used the bible to make their points. I'm not going to re-peat their lengthy arguments here although I could point you to patristic books from different eras written by different people that all say the same thing...

To put it simply... You say that more than one person is polytheism. They would have said that this is contrary to the... Scriptures! This is an interesting discussion, the way the Scriptures define polytheism, but it can be lengthy.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I got this from your statement:
quote:
What makes the Trinity different from any three of us is precisely that unity and congruence, as it were.
My thought is that a perfect unity and congruence means "no distinction."

I see. Thank you. That's my own fault. I was using your original terms in order for clarity's sake and seem to have achieved the opposite because it seems that I understood from "unity and congruence" somehing different from what you intended by it. I'm sorry. I was using the terms to refer to the unity of purpose and will of the Persons, their operation in harmony. Harmony is perhaps here a good word for what I'm trying to say, because harmony cannot exist if there is no distinction between the voices.

quote:
quote:

Both you and andreas are saying over and over that the nature is the same but the persons are distinct - and yet that this is neither unity or tritheism. Your philosophy appears to be so deeply ingrained that this makes sense to you and does not appear to be a contradiction.
Is it deeply ingrained, though? This is all new to me. Part of what I'm doing here, in addition to sharing what little I have recently come to learn about the Orthodox understanding of the Trinity and trying to dispel the image created near the beginning of this thread that Andreas's understanding is way out, is trying to work out my own understanding by putting it in context of a discussion. So far it really is helping. And no, I don't see a contradiction. If anything, it makes more sense than my previous understanding, which is all that I had ever previously been exposed to.

quote:
You say repeatedly that we don't understand - as if we have not studied theology.
If you would link to where I said this, I'd be very grateful. If anything, what I have pointed out on this thread is my own lack of understanding, and what a breath of fresh air it is to finally get some insight into what the Fathers meant when they formulated the Creed under the Spirit's guidance. I pointed out that my criticism in my first post on this thread was a self-criticism, and I asked where I could find out more. The only time my back arched and I let that show through was when you began to ask for biblical justifications for things, as though that were the sole authority, and implying that what we say is somehow less biblical than an understanding that seems (to me at least, not having studied in depth) to be at variance with the Church's understanding. I'm referring to this post. I am sorry for my reaction, and if it is this to which you are referring, then I understand. If this isn't what you meant, then I don't see what else you could mean but if something that I have said inadvertently implies a criticism of somebody else, then I apologise.

quote:
I understand that you really believe what you are saying. I'm just saying that it doesn't hold together, as far as I can see. I could be wrong.
I don't know how else to express it, though. I have tried to relate how I have come to understand the three Persons in one God. To me, it makes perfect sense, yet to you, it appears as tritheism. That's fair enough. When you explain how it appears to you to be tritheism, it sounds as though you're expressing the Persons as consituent parts of a whole and, in my understanding, that doesn't hold together.

It seems that, at this point, you and I have got as far as we can at present. As I said, this ios still new to me and I'm going to have to take the time to read and explore more deeply, reading the Fathers and what I can find about the First and Second Synods, amidst my other spiritual journeying. Thanks for being so willing to engage with me, though. I'll continue to read the thread and I'm sure that I'll learn more from the conversation.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Both you and andreas are saying over and over that the nature is the same but the persons are distinct - and yet that this is neither unity or tritheism.

My suspicion is that, assuming that Andreas is quoting correctly, the fathers that Andreas is quoting were thinking of neo-Platonism. They weren't thinking of polytheism as such. The attempt is to head off Arianism by the back route.

There are two main concerns for these fathers. The first is that they want to refute Arius. The second is that they want to avoid any appearance of modalism or sabellianism (since that had already been condemned).

All the fathers that Andreas is quoting come from the Alexandrene school of theology. (Arianism being an Alexandrene heresy.) Modalism is an Antiochene heresy. The Western understanding of the Trinity has Antiochene roots.

Andreas of course has a problem in explaining how the Jews worshipped the Logos that revealed himself to Moses, how the Jews were not to have any God beside or before the Logos that revealed himself to Moses, and yet how the Jews worshipped the Father.

Western theology obviously doesn't have that problem. I have to say that it is a good principle, if err we must, to err on the side of continuity with Judaism.

Dafyd

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
My suspicion is that, assuming that Andreas is quoting correctly, the fathers that Andreas is quoting were thinking of neo-Platonism. They weren't thinking of polytheism as such. The attempt is to head off Arianism by the back route.

There are two main concerns for these fathers. The first is that they want to refute Arius. The second is that they want to avoid any appearance of modalism or sabellianism (since that had already been condemned).

Thank you Dafyd, that is very helpful.

I have assumed that these fathers were aiming primarily at avoiding Arianism, and was unsure about which of the other heresies seemed to them to be the greatest dangers. I have noticed that the sources that andreas quotes do seem focused on refuting the mistaken idea of modalism.

I have been puzzled at their apparent lack of concern about polytheism - a concern that the Athanasian creed appears to address. I have no thought, of course, that there is any intentional polytheism in their thinking - only that they seem to back into it in their attempts to avoid other heresies.
quote:
All the fathers that Andreas is quoting come from the Alexandrene school of theology. (Arianism being an Alexandrene heresy.) Modalism is an Antiochene heresy. The Western understanding of the Trinity has Antiochene roots.

I hadn't realized that. Thanks.
quote:
Andreas of course has a problem in explaining how the Jews worshipped the Logos that revealed himself to Moses, how the Jews were not to have any God beside or before the Logos that revealed himself to Moses, and yet how the Jews worshipped the Father.

I see that. How is it possible not to see these all as the same God? [Confused]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Dear Dafyd

I spoke of Athanasius and Cyril of Alexandria because their theology was proclaaimed in the first and in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth ecumenical councils respectively. However, the Kappadocean fathers were also mentioned. So, it's not just an a characteristic of Alexandrian thought. Not only the Kappadoceans, but also Emperor (and theologian) Justinian and Gregory the Palamas and Symeon the New Theologians, they all said the same thing. Not only them, but all the Orthodox Saints I have ever read, including Hilary of Poitiers and Ambrose of Milan said the same thing. As far as I know, no other explanation on what the trinity means has ever been put forth by the Orthodox fathers...

Starting from Justin the Martyr, no, starting from Paul, the Lord of Glory has been identified with Jesus. He is the one who uttered the Shema in the Old Testament; not the Father. It is He the One that reveals in Himself the Father, because He is the image of the Father and the radiance of His hypostasis.

You say the Jews worshipped God the Father. We speak of God as the Father, because He is the Father of the Son. If one does not accept the Son, then one does not accept the Father as well. So, they do not worship the hypostasis of the Father, although, because of our monarchy we can refer their worship to the Father. their vision of God remains unclear, although people like Moses and Abraham did have a clear view of God. After all, the Pentateuch speaks of Jesus. When the Lord said that this is the case, he was not referring to the three verses in Leviticus that speak of the anointed one!

Dear Freddy

Read my reply to Dafyd. Moreover, it was not about them fighting Arianism, but them fighting Judaism. After all, some fathers lived before Arius was born!

You say something like this:

A) There is one God.

B) Three divine persons are three Gods.

C) Therefore there are no three divine persons or else we would be tritheists.

Your mistake is in your understanding of what the word "God" means. You speak of the Shema. But the Shema, if I remember correctly, was said by Jesus before the Incarnation, and not by the Father! Therefore "God" in the Shema does not mean "one divine person" or else the divinity of the Father would be denied!

[ 26. April 2007, 11:32: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I was using your original terms in order for clarity's sake and seem to have achieved the opposite because it seems that I understood from "unity and congruence" somehing different from what you intended by it. I'm sorry. I was using the terms to refer to the unity of purpose and will of the Persons, their operation in harmony. Harmony is perhaps here a good word for what I'm trying to say, because harmony cannot exist if there is no distinction between the voices.

OK. I guess that's a better comparison. I'm surprised, though, that you don't see polytheism as a genuine danger in this thinking.
quote:
Is it deeply ingrained, though? This is all new to me.

I hadn't realized that. I'd be interested to know how it ocmpares with what you previously thought.
quote:
The only time my back arched and I let that show through was when you began to ask for biblical justifications for things, as though that were the sole authority, and implying that what we say is somehow less biblical than an understanding that seems (to me at least, not having studied in depth) to be at variance with the Church's understanding.

Sorry about that. I do think that what you say is not biblical - and I'm surprised that neither you or andreas seem interested in making efforts to show that it is biblical. I appreciate, though, that the ancient fathers seem to you to be legitimate authorities.
quote:
To me, it makes perfect sense, yet to you, it appears as tritheism. That's fair enough. When you explain how it appears to you to be tritheism, it sounds as though you're expressing the Persons as consituent parts of a whole and, in my understanding, that doesn't hold together.

That expresses it well. I understand that you don't intend tritheism, and I certainly don't intend modalism. It helps to understand that Orthodoxy is sensitized to modalism just as I am sensitive to polytheism.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
Sorry about that. I do think that what you say is not biblical - and I'm surprised that neither you or andreas seem interested in making efforts to show that it is biblical.

Two reasons for that. Firstly, because your denomination is a tiny minority among Western Christians. I am concerned about mainline Western Christians and they seem to be interested in keeping the same trinitarian faith with the ancient Church. Sorry about that.

Secondly, because I find it very tiresome to re-run the ancient debate. There are tomes and books upon books where all the scriptural passages are examined and explained under the light of what I am saying. Perhaps it would be worth pursuing in this thread, but, like I said, my main focus is not you Freddy (although you are a great Shipmate and it's always a pleasure discussing things with you).

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It all boils down to revelation. When the holy men interacted with someone that was not God the Father, someone distinct from God the Father, who had the same nature with God the Father, they realized that to say God is one person is a mistake.!

Andreas, do you really mean this? I would be amazed if you could quote any kind of source that expresses this idea. [Confused] [Ultra confused] [Confused]
quote:
Of course, the fathers used the bible to make their points.

To put it simply... You say that more than one person is polytheism. They would have said that this is contrary to the... Scriptures!

I assume that you mean by this the fact that God has various names in Scripture and appears in various ways, such as by means of the Angel of the Lord. Or do you mean somethng else?

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

OK, I will use some things that Justin the Martyr said. I will use his words because Arius had not been born when Justin spoke those things against Judaism.

quote:
Reverting to the Scriptures, I shall endeavour to persuade you, that He who is said to have appeared to Abraham, and to Jacob, and to Moses, and who is called God, is distinct from Him who made all things,—numerically, I mean...
Note that the term "the Maker of heaven and earth" was attributed by the first ecumenical council to the Father... not because the Son is not Creator as well, but because it was a custom for the Father to be called Maker so that He can be distinguished from the Son in discussions, as the above passage shows.

Justin repeats that claim, that the Patriarchs and the Prophets did not interact with God the Father but with God the Son and that the two are distinct, throughout his discussion with Trypho the Jew. One can only read the Old Testament and see that when the Son is revealed, He speaks about God the Father as one distinct from Him.

Keep in mind that Justin lived beforeArius and even before Origen, that prominent Alexandrian theologian.

[ 26. April 2007, 11:55: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
quote:
I was using your original terms in order for clarity's sake and seem to have achieved the opposite because it seems that I understood from "unity and congruence" somehing different from what you intended by it. I'm sorry. I was using the terms to refer to the unity of purpose and will of the Persons, their operation in harmony. Harmony is perhaps here a good word for what I'm trying to say, because harmony cannot exist if there is no distinction between the voices.

OK. I guess that's a better comparison. I'm surprised, though, that you don't see polytheism as a genuine danger in this thinking.
Thanks for your reply, Freddy. I'll take another stab at it because I think we may have a working analogy here.

I do certainly see the danger of perceiving polytheism in this. Indeed, when I first read the earlier part of the thread, I was agreeing with those who said that what Andreas was expressing was tritheism. However, I think that the danger is severely diminished when one takes the analogy further. The harmony created by the three distinct parts is not their essence. Their essence is "voice", but properly speaking, they are not three voices: they are soprano, alto, and tenor, each fully possesing the nature of "voice". They are three distinct entities, each of which has the nature/essence of "voice", and it is this, and not their harmony, that makes them "one voice".

quote:
quote:
Is it deeply ingrained, though? This is all new to me.

I hadn't realized that. I'd be interested to know how it ocmpares with what you previously thought.
[Smile] It was I who resurrected the thread a week ago with this post. Before that, it had lain dormant since December.

It's a little difficult to describe accurately how I understood this. There was certainly much haziness. Here's my attempt, though. I had this concept of the divine nature being some mysterious, deeper reality of which the three Persons of the Trinity were somehow part. It was almost as though the divine nature was a being/entity in itself but I wouldn't have articulated it like that. I suppose I just accepted that each of the Persons was fully God while still being part of this "divine nature", and tried not to think too much about how this could be possible, calling it a "mystery". Looking back, I think that my understanding of the word "substance" is what lay at the heart of this. Nature or essence would probably have caused less of a problem for me, with hindsight.

Anyway, I first began to be uncomfortable with this when I came across the idea of modalism about a year ago in my Orthodox reading, and realised that my understanding definitely verged in that direction. I suppose I just never gave it much more thought than that, until recently.

Because of this, my main problem with the double procession was that it wasn't Orthodox, and I'll confess that I came up with a very strange theory about why it was wrong, because in my hazy understanding of the Trinity, it really didn't matter too much whether the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father alone, or from both the Father and the Son. Indeed, I was a proponent of the idea that it was purely a linguistic misunderstanding based on confusion between the two Greek verbs for different senses of to proceed, and the Latin procedere which could easily be used either way, citing the fact that Byzantine Catholics do not recite the filioque.

Now the problem of the double-procession has finally fallen into place for me. If the characteristic (for want of a better term) of being eternal source is possessed by the Son as well as the Father (which is the only way the Holy Spirit can eternally proceed from the Son as well), then this characteristic must be of the nature and not the hypostasis, and must, therefore be shared by the Holy Spirit as well (Who also fully possesses this nature). Yet Christian theology does not know of a fourth Person proceeding from the Holy Spirit, who would then have another proceeding from Him, and so forth. The only other explanation is that the Holy Spirit does not share the same nature as the Father and the Son, which I don't think that anybody claims. All of this is only a problem, of course, if you have the distinct view of nature and hypostasis that I now accept, with the divine nature being, essentially, a genus, although one that is ineffable, unknowable, beyond human comprehension and even beyond the concept of "beyond", residing in the Father, from whom the Son and the Holy Spirit eternally have their being, and, therefore, the same nature, which is why I reject the double-procession.

Before conversing with Andreas about this, I had never been exposed to the idea that the divine nature as analogous to the human nature, or indeed any other nature. St Gregory has deepened my understanding and now I would like to read more. I have had some Fathers recommended to me. I consider it all a part of my growth.

quote:
quote:
To me, it makes perfect sense, yet to you, it appears as tritheism. That's fair enough. When you explain how it appears to you to be tritheism, it sounds as though you're expressing the Persons as consituent parts of a whole and, in my understanding, that doesn't hold together.

That expresses it well. I understand that you don't intend tritheism, and I certainly don't intend modalism. It helps to understand that Orthodoxy is sensitized to modalism just as I am sensitive to polytheism.
Yes. I, too, am grateful to Dafyd for sharing that bit of the background. Thank you, as well, Freddy, for being so patient with me.

Again, I can't recommend enough to anybody wanting to begin to grasp some of the differences between "East" and "West" to read this. What The Book Depository doesn't reveal is that the book is subtitled What every Roman Catholic should know about the Orthodox Church. While it is written with the goal in mind of explaining what the differences are between these two particular confessions, as a former Anglican who has never been a Catholic, I found it helpful in the extreme in putting into context some of the differences that my past views have with where I am now.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Firstly, because your denomination is a tiny minority among Western Christians. I am concerned about mainline Western Christians and they seem to be interested in keeping the same trinitarian faith with the ancient Church. Sorry about that.

Andreas, this thread is a response to your statement that the west is unitarian. The size of my own denomination has nothing to do with it.

Given the trinitarian language of the Bible, the tension here is between your assertion that the Western church tends towards unitarianism, and the converse assertion that the Eastern church tends towards tritheism.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Freddy, mainline Christians believe that the ancient Church was trinitarian and that this faith is true. So, for them, if they found out that the ancient understanding was different from theirs, they can change their understanding to fit the ancient faith. Things are different to you, because you are not bound by the faith of the ancient church, since you think as authoritative the writings of Swedenborg and the scriptures. This is why I didn't spend much time showing my point from the scriptures, but I spoke of the ancient fathers instead.

Now, there is no tritheism in the Orthodox Church because no three divine natures are confessed. This was enough for the ancients to reject tritheism. But the problem is that this is not enough for you, because you think that tritheism is faith in three distinct persons. I replied that in your framework yes you can say that we are tritheists, but I also said that your framework is flawed because tritheism is not faith in three distinct divine persons but faith in three distinct divine natures.

And it's not an East vs West thing, because Western Fathers like Hilary and Ambrose and Justin and Irineus said the same things as well.

It's an Orthodox vs non-Orthodox thing (if it is a thing at all... After all, fr. jrrt01 says that the faith of the Anglican Church is the same with the faith I confessed in this thread...)

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
OK, I will use some things that Justin the Martyr said. I will use his words because Arius had not been born when Justin spoke those things against Judaism.
quote:
Reverting to the Scriptures, I shall endeavour to persuade you, that He who is said to have appeared to Abraham, and to Jacob, and to Moses, and who is called God, is distinct from Him who made all things,—numerically, I mean...

I am impressed. You are right. So Orthodoxy really does teach this.
quote:
Note that the term "the Maker of heaven and earth" was attributed by the first ecumenical council to the Father... not because the Son is not Creator as well, but because it was a custom for the Father to be called Maker so that He can be distinguished from the Son in discussions, as the above passage shows.

Meaning that they were aware that this is a problem. The terminology implies that the Father was the primary Creator, and that the contribution of the Logos was secondary.

Wouldn't it have been easier to call them one and ascribe the distinction to figurative language?
quote:
Justin repeats that claim, that the Patriarchs and the Prophets did not interact with God the Father but with God the Son and that the two are distinct, throughout his discussion with Trypho the Jew.

I actually agree with this. No one can interact with the Father, as Jesus says. All interaction was with the Son, or with what took the place of the Son before the Incarnation.
quote:
One can only read the Old Testament and see that when the Son is revealed, He speaks about God the Father as one distinct from Him.

I'm wondering what kind of references you are thinking of here. Do you mean the prophecies of the coming Messiah? He is usually, but not always, spoken of as one who may be distinguished from Jehovah. Certainly whenever "the Lord" speaks in Scripture He claims to be God Himself.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
I am impressed. You are right. So Orthodoxy really does teach this.

It's not just Orthodoxy... We are talking about the people that were murdered by the Romans for their faith in Jesus. This is the faith they were murdered for...

quote:
Meaning that they were aware that this is a problem. The terminology implies that the Father was the primary Creator, and that the contribution of the Logos was secondary.
No! It's just a way of discussing things without having to use the term "God the Father" every time for God. It's easier to attribute creation to God first, and then say that the Logos is the Creator, than start the other way around. After all, all that the Logos is He is because of the Father.

quote:
Wouldn't it have been easier to call them one and ascribe the distinction to figurative language?
They did not do this because this was not the faith of the Prophets in the Old testament nor the faith of the Apostles in the New Testament.

quote:
or with what took the place of the Son before the Incarnation.
Nothing took the place of the Son before the Incarnation because the Son Himself existed before the Incarnation. He was in the beginning and He was with God in the beginning.

quote:
I'm wondering what kind of references you are thinking of here. Do you mean the prophecies of the coming Messiah?/QUOTE]

No, I'm thinking the references to God "talking" with the holy men in the Old Testament. That God was God the Son and not God the Father. For more info have a look at the extensive works of the ancient fathers on the Christian faith and the Old Testament.

[quote]Certainly whenever "the Lord" speaks in Scripture He claims to be God Himself.

This is where we disagree... He claims to be God the Son, not God the Father. Yes, He is divine, exactly like the Father, but He is revealed to be distinct from Him.

[ 26. April 2007, 13:20: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Freddy, mainline Christians believe that the ancient Church was trinitarian and that this faith is true. So, for them, if they found out that the ancient understanding was different from theirs, they can change their understanding to fit the ancient faith. Things are different to you, because you are not bound by the faith of the ancient church, since you think as authoritative the writings of Swedenborg and the scriptures. This is why I didn't spend much time showing my point from the scriptures, but I spoke of the ancient fathers instead.

Yes, I can see that this is the way that you look at it. But the thing that we all have in common is the Scriptures, and these take precedence - at least in non-Orthodox Christianity - over the theology of the ancient fathers.

My point is that I think that you would be better off using the Scriptures more.
quote:
It's an Orthodox vs non-Orthodox thing (if it is a thing at all... After all, fr. jrrt01 says that the faith of the Anglican Church is the same with the faith I confessed in this thread...)

I didn't realize that you had been satisfied that the non-Orthodox churches are not unitarian after all.

So it looks like this thread has accomplished something. [Angel]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
I didn't realize that you had been satisfied that the non-Orthodox churches are not unitarian after all.

I have been satisfied with the kind father's reply. Whether he speaks for others I do not know.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
Certainly whenever "the Lord" speaks in Scripture He claims to be God Himself.

This is where we disagree... He claims to be God the Son, not God the Father. Yes, He is divine, exactly like the Father, but He is revealed to be distinct from Him.
I hear you. I'm trying to think of an example of this, so that I can understand what you mean. The Old Testament God, when speaking of Himself, uses a limited number of terms.

I guess you must mean "Angel of the Lord" and "YAHWEH". Is that right?

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If the characteristic (for want of a better term) of being eternal source is possessed by the Son as well as the Father (which is the only way the Holy Spirit can eternally proceed from the Son as well), then this characteristic must be of the nature and not the hypostasis, and must, therefore be shared by the Holy Spirit as well (Who also fully possesses this nature).

Why? Could the characteristic not be one of both the Father and the Son hypostates but not the Holy Spirit?

Or are you arguing that the distinction between person and nature is such that a characteristic cannot be shared by two hypostases yet not the third, because something shared by two divine hypostases would be a characteristic of divine nature and the situation described would represent two divinities i.e. polytheism? If so, I think I follow vaguely but I'm stretching.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

GreyFace

Yes, there are only a few "axioms" for Orthodoxy, and this is one of them, that a characteristic in the divine persons is either shared by all, or it exists only in one of them. This knowledge comes through the direct vision of God, where we understand in a way beyond understanding that the three divine persons share all characteristics save for the cause for their existence. The "idiom" of the Father is that he is of no cause, the "idiom" of the Son is that he is generated by the Father, the "idiom" of the Holy Spirit is that he proceeds from the Father. What proceeds and is generated mean we do not know, but we do know there is a difference between the two.

Of course, this can be shown in the Scriptures and it can also be shown that if this was breached then trinitarianism would fail, but that's a more complicated discussion than the one we are having at the moment.

Freddy

Yes, it goes like this:

We see someone called Angel of God in the Scriptures interacting with the Patriarchs. he is called an Angel NOT BECAUSE He shares in the angelic nature, but because He cats as a messenger from God the Father. That person, as the stories unfold, reveals that He is Lord and God. He is both Lord (because He is the Son) and the Angel of the Lord, that is of the Father.

The words used in scriptures are used with different meanings in different occasions. So, the term angel sometimes refers to angels, but other times refers to God the Son, and other times to people etc.

The important thing from an Orthodox perspective is that "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob" is Jesus before the Incarnation and it is Him Whom the Jews rejected when he came in human flesh.

[ 26. April 2007, 13:46: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

SB, thank you for your good description of your thought process. I think that it is very interesting. I particularly liked this part, which Grey Face just commented on:
quote:
Now the problem of the double-procession has finally fallen into place for me. If the characteristic (for want of a better term) of being eternal source is possessed by the Son as well as the Father (which is the only way the Holy Spirit can eternally proceed from the Son as well), then this characteristic must be of the nature and not the hypostasis, and must, therefore be shared by the Holy Spirit as well (Who also fully possesses this nature). Yet Christian theology does not know of a fourth Person proceeding from the Holy Spirit, who would then have another proceeding from Him, and so forth. The only other explanation is that the Holy Spirit does not share the same nature as the Father and the Son, which I don't think that anybody claims. All of this is only a problem, of course, if you have the distinct view of nature and hypostasis that I now accept, with the divine nature being, essentially, a genus, although one that is ineffable, unknowable, beyond human comprehension and even beyond the concept of "beyond", residing in the Father, from whom the Son and the Holy Spirit eternally have their being, and, therefore, the same nature, which is why I reject the double-procession.

I am fascinated at the way that this extracted you from the theological problems you had seen.

The view of nature and hypostasis that you describe does have a logic to it. I have always thought, though, that it is a somewhat tortured way of reconciling a literalistic view of the Scripture with the need to refute Arius.

The main difficulty I have with the particular issue of the double procession, although this is really off the topic, is reconciling it with Jesus' statements about how the Holy Spirit proceeds.
quote:
Before conversing with Andreas about this, I had never been exposed to the idea that the divine nature as analogous to the human nature, or indeed any other nature.

I had never heard it before either. I am frankly amazed that it makes sense to anyone. But once it is accepted I can easily see how it is a foundation for the explanations of the trinity that we have been discussing here.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
The words used in scriptures are used with different meanings in different occasions. So, the term angel sometimes refers to angels, but other times refers to God the Son, and other times to people etc.

I agree.
quote:
The important thing from an Orthodox perspective is that "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob" is Jesus before the Incarnation and it is Him Whom the Jews rejected when he came in human flesh.

I agree. I think that it is interesting that you agree with the need to have this One be the same One who came into the world as Jesus Christ. Most people assume that Jehovah of the Old Testament is the Father. But you are right that logically He has to be the Son.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
The view of nature and hypostasis that you describe does have a logic to it. I have always thought, though, that it is a somewhat tortured way of reconciling a literalistic view of the Scripture with the need to refute Arius.

Keep in mind though that for the ancient Christians it was the natural explanation of what Jesus did and said and what the scriptures speak of. It was the Apostolic teaching and the faith of the Church. For the millionth time I repeat that IT WAS NOT A WAY OF RECONCILING SCRIPTURES WHILE REFUTING ARIUS BECAUSE THIS FAITH WAS EXPRESSED AND CONFESSED LONG BEFORE ARIUS.

quote:
The main difficulty I have with the particular issue of the double procession, although this is really off the topic, is reconciling it with Jesus' statements about how the Holy Spirit proceeds.
What statements? Jesus made only one recorded statement about that, and he says clearly that the Spirit proceeds from the Father.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
I agree. I think that it is interesting that you agree with the need to have this One be the same One who came into the world as Jesus Christ. Most people assume that Jehovah of the Old Testament is the Father. But you are right that logically He has to be the Son.

I am not the one that has to be credited with identifying Jesus and YAHWE. This was the underlying basis for the first and the second ecumenical councils. It was accepted by both the Orthodox fathers of those councils AND the heretics. They all took it for granted. They just disagreed on whether that Angel of the Lord was created or uncreated.

Father Romanides explains that this underlying and foundational basis for the correct understanding of the ecumenical councils was somehow "lost" when Augustinian theology prevailed in the West (because Augustine was not aware of what the fathers were really discussing about...) But I don't know.

Anyway, I have found it in the fathers BEFORE the first council, i.e. the first Christians and martyrs, I found it in the fathers of the first and the second council, I found it in the fathers of the ninth council (hesychastic controversy)... It's everywhere I look. Even Emperor Justinian, if memory serves me right, professed that faith.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
For the millionth time I repeat that IT WAS NOT A WAY OF RECONCILING SCRIPTURES WHILE REFUTING ARIUS BECAUSE THIS FAITH WAS EXPRESSED AND CONFESSED LONG BEFORE ARIUS.

Yes, it was, but so were many alternative ideas. These disagreements came to a head over time, and ultimately led to the need to conclusively refute Arius and other heretics. I didn't mean to say that they dreamed this up to refute Arius. It was one among many understandings in the primitive church - which had no single clearly defined christology. It rose to prominence in the course of the long efforts to combat heretical ideas in the church.
quote:
quote:
What statements? Jesus made only one recorded statement about that, and he says clearly that the Spirit proceeds from the Father.
There are quite a few statements. Jesus does say that the Spirit proceeds from the Father in these statements:
quote:
Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever.

But I'm thinking of other statements, where Jesus is described as the one who controls the Holy Spirit:
quote:
Matthew 3:11 John said, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 15:26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

John 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on [them,] and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.”

I don't think that it is hard to see a tension between these statements. Not that I want to get into this issue. But Saint Bertelin said that this was significant to him. My point was just the need to reconcile these passages.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Just to add, I realize that the John 15 passage is the only one that uses the specific word "proceed." I'm thinking, though, that this needs to be reconciled with statements such as the others I listed. Hence the controversy.

[ 26. April 2007, 16:00: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

I doubt it was one among many understandings inside ancient church... I think it was THE Apostolic teaching and it was confessed unanimously. Do you have any evidence that other understandings co-existed inside the ancient church? Because I have read no other explanation in the writings of the ancients on the issue...

As for the tension, I don't see what the other verses have to do with how the Holy Spirit is caused to exist... After all, the Holy Spirit sent the Son inside the Virgin's womb, but we don't say that the Son is begotten of the Spirit! "begotten" and "proceed" have to do with the cause for their existence and not with Christ's human birth or the Spirit's being sent to men...

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

I was just catching up on the thread. GreyFace, it seems that Andreas has got there first. I would have said essentially the same thing but less succinctly, I think. (Still learning, and all).

quote:
There are quite a few statements. Jesus does say that the Spirit proceeds from the Father in these statements:
quote:
Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever.

But I'm thinking of other statements, where Jesus is described as the one who controls the Holy Spirit:
quote:
Matthew 3:11 John said, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 15:26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

John 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on [them,] and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.”

I don't think that it is hard to see a tension between these statements. Not that I want to get into this issue. But Saint Bertelin said that this was significant to him. My point was just the need to reconcile these passages.

I'm not sure I'd agree on this point. There is only a tension if there is a blurring of the difference between the eternal existence of the Persons and their actions in spatial, temporal creation. The Scriptural quotations that you provide refer to the latter. They show the Three Persons of the Trinity operating with unity of purpose in Creation but they do not refer to the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father outside of the created realm, i.e. the Holy Spirit's mode of eternal being.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I doubt it was one among many understandings inside ancient church... I think it was THE Apostolic teaching and it was confessed unanimously. Do you have any evidence that other understandings co-existed inside the ancient church? Because I have read no other explanation in the writings of the ancients on the issue...

I would think that the multiplicity of views would be evident just from the number of heresies that had early church origins:
quote:
Adoptionism- God granted Jesus powers and then adopted him as a Son.
Albigenses- Reincarnation and two gods: one good and other evil.
Apollinarianism- Jesus divine will overshadowed and replaced the human.
Arianism - Jesus was a lesser, created being.
Docetism- Jesus was divine, but only seemed to be human.
Donatism- Validity of sacraments depends on character of the minister.
Gnosticism - Dualism of good and bad and special knowledge for salvation.
Kenosis - Jesus gave up some divine attributes while on earth.
Modalism - God is one person in three modes.
Monarchianism - God is one person.
Monophysitism- Jesus had only one nature: divine.
Nestorianism - Jesus was two persons.
Patripassionism - The Father suffered on the cross
Pelagianism - Man is unaffected by the fall and can keep all of God's laws.
Socinianism - Denial of the Trinity. Jesus is a deified man.
Tritheism - the Trinity is really three separate gods.
Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

While the main proponents of these ideas may have been later individuals, they indicate to me a lack of clarity in the christology of the early church. The Apostles Creed is far from clear about these things, and does not even name the trinity.
quote:
As for the tension, I don't see what the other verses have to do with how the Holy Spirit is caused to exist... After all, the Holy Spirit sent the Son inside the Virgin's womb, but we don't say that the Son is begotten of the Spirit! "begotten" and "proceed" have to do with the cause for their existence and not with Christ's human birth or the Spirit's being sent to men...

The Holy Spirit did not send the Son. The wording is "that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit," (Matthew 1) and "“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God" (Luke 1).

But I see your point about "proceeds" meaning that the ultimate origin is in the Father, even if it is governed by the Son. This helps me understand Saint Bertelin's point as well.

According to my theology, the Father is simply the Divine Love, the invisible interior divine that is beyond all human understanding. This is the origin of all things, and so it makes sense that this is what begets the Son, and is also the origin of the Holy Spirit. The Son is the Divine Truth as it interacts with and is made accessible to humanity - so it is both the Logos, the means of creation, and what was Incarnated. The Holy Spirit is the divine activity with humanity - whose origin is the Divine Love but comes to us only by means of the Son, the Divine Truth. Needless to say, the filioque is not an issue with us.

In any case, I guess that what you are saying about the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father, though sent by the Son, lines up with my own theology. [Angel]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

No multiplicity of views in the Apostolic Kerygma. The Apostles taught one faith. The fact that some corrupted that faith and preached their own ways and tried to use reason to solve the theological problems of their times is irrelevant. After all, I am here to belong to the Apostolic Church, and not to the Church of some guy that says he is a Christian but teaches a different God than the One preached by the Apostles...

They came from us but they were not like us, comes to mind...

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

I do agree that the apostles taught one faith. I also agree that this original view was corrupted over time.

I don't agree, though, that what you are saying here agrees with the apostolic faith that was originally taught by Jesus and the apostles.

I think that they would have been horrified to learn that Son was a distinct divine hypostasis begotten from eternity. To them He was simply God.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Then why does Paul says in so many places "God and Jesus"? If they are one person, then he wouldn't have said "and". Why does John say "the Word was [in the beginning] with God"? How can He be with God if He is that God?

Your approach is very problematic. Even from a historical point of view... We have Irineus a disciple of Polycarp a disciple of Apostle John speaking clearly about three in whom we believe? And even before Irineus, from the little we have available in writing, we can see that the Christian faith was faith in three persons.

We can discuss Scriptures, but I don't think this will get us anywhere.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

By the way, I notice that you use the "I and the Father are one" verse. I think it's important to distinguish between the English language and the Greek language, because in English adjectives like "one" have one form for all the masculine, the feminine and the neutral, while in Greek the difference is shown by the ending of the word. In that verse, the neutral form of the word one is used, and not the masculine form. And the form of the verb "to be" used is in plural (first person plural) like that famous verse from Genesis "let us create man"...

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
In that verse, the neutral form of the word one is used, and not the masculine form.

As is the case for all love songs where a man and a woman are one (again, the neutral form of the word "one").

What do other Shipmates think about the trinitarian understanding I expressed in this thread?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Then why does Paul says in so many places "God and Jesus"? If they are one person, then he wouldn't have said "and". Why does John say "the Word was [in the beginning] with God"? How can He be with God if He is that God?

Repetition is a consistent feature of the Bible. So it says "the Word was [in the beginning] with God, and the Word was God." The style is to present two variations of a phrase, and to frequently present double titles or double names for one person. "My Lord and my God."

I do see your point, and this is obviously why the church went with this concept of the trinity.

My opinion is that the concept of one God takes precedence, and that the figurative language used should be understood from this priority.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Dear Freddy

We have been there before. It's not a repetition, because a different form of the word "God" is used in the Greek text. The fact that the English language does not distinguish between the two forms of the word "God" in "The word was with god and god was the word" is irrelevant. The Greek text says clearly "o logos in pros ton theon kai theos in o logos". It doesn't say "kai o theos in o logos"...

Plus, if the Word is the Father, there would be no need to say that the Angel of the Lord appeared to Moses. It would have said that the Lord appeared to Moses.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It's not a repetition, because a different form of the word "God" is used in the Greek text.

In biblical repetitions the form usually does vary. The repetitions aren't pointless. They express deeper meanings, which are perceived in heaven, and which we can understand as well. Phrases such as "God and the Lamb" or "our Lord and His Christ" do not refer to two different beings but to the "Alpha and Omega" of one. So when the angels say:
quote:
Revelation 11:15“The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!”
The "He" who will reign is just one.
quote:
Plus, if the Word is the Father, there would be no need to say that the Angel of the Lord appeared to Moses. It would have said that the Lord appeared to Moses.

Sometimes it says the Angel of the Lord appeared, other times that the Lord appeared, sometimes even that God appeared. It is said in different ways.

But the Father cannot appear, because Jesus says that no one has ever seen Him - meaning that the divine itself cannot be seen or grasped by anyone. He needs to accommodate Himself to us, which is the whole point of the Incarnation.

Most people, I think, understand this point when they say, for example, that God Himself can be neither male or female, because the divine in itself is beyond all such descriptions. We call this "the Father" just as a way of speaking about Him, but the reality is that we cannot conceive of the divine itself. We can conceive of the Son, which why Jesus said "He who has seen Me has seen the Father."

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

A few finishing notes before I give some room for others to express themselves.

Alfa and Omega refers to Christ. It is His name in the Revelation and that's why peacocks were used as symbols for Jesus in antiquity (peacock=TAO in ancient Greek=an acronym for Alfa & Omega)

When phrases like "God and the Lamb" are spoken, they do show the distinction. God the Father is one, God the Son is another.

He who has seen me has seen the Father, because Jesus' divinity is also invisible and incomprehensible like the Father's.

Another "axiom" of Orthodoxy is that the divine nature is beyond comprehension and beyond words, and this applies to the divinity of all three divine persons. Not just the Father. But the Son and the Spirit are incomprehensible and ineffable too.

I guess we will agree to disagree, Freddy.

Now, what do OTHERS think?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Alfa and Omega refers to Christ. It is His name in the Revelation and that's why peacocks were used as symbols for Jesus in antiquity (peacock=TAO in ancient Greek=an acronym for Alfa & Omega)

Very nice. I agree. I didn't know that about the peacocks. That's great.

But why is that His name? Isn't it because He is the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End? Doesn't this imply that there is no other?
quote:
Isaiah 44:6 “ Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ‘ I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.
Who is "the LORD the King of Israel"? Is He the Father? And who is "his Redeemer, the LORD of Hosts"? The Son? And which one of these is the First and Last?

To me it is easier to see that they are all the same, and that there is no other, as is so often repeated in Scripture:
quote:
Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
Deuteronomy 4:39 Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that the LORD Himself is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.
1 Kings 8:60 that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD is God; there is no other.
Isaiah 44:6 “ Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ‘ I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.
Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other; There is no God besides Me.
Isaiah 45:18 For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: “ I am the LORD, and there is no other.
Isaiah 45:21 There is no other God besides Me, A just God and a Savior; There is none besides Me. Look to Me, and be saved, All you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me,
Joel 2:27 Then you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel: I am the LORD your God And there is no other. My people shall never be put to shame.
Mark 12:32 There is one God, and there is no other but He.
Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
1 Corinthians 8:4 There is no other God but one.

Why would He harp so frequently on there being no other if there really was a distinction between hypostases that was signaled by these different names?

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

When the Son says he is the Alpha and the Omega, we understand that He is not speaking in terms of persons, but in terms of natures. His nature is the true divinity, and since the Father is of the same nature, He is true God as well.

He says that after Him there is no other. You think the term person is implied. No other person. My understanding is that the term nature is implied. No other divine nature exists but Jesus' divinity.

Note that we do not reason the trinity from the scriptures. We get the trinity from our experience of God as He is revealed to us and we can show that this understanding exists in the bible as well, since the writers also experienced God that way. It's in the bible because this is our experience; we don't reason our faith out of texts.

That said, I am really out of here [Big Grin]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
When the Son says he is the Alpha and the Omega, we understand that He is not speaking in terms of persons, but in terms of natures. His nature is the true divinity, and since the Father is of the same nature, He is true God as well.

He says that after Him there is no other. You think the term person is implied. No other person. My understanding is that the term nature is implied. No other divine nature exists but Jesus' divinity.

Then we can take our pick. I understand that this distinguishing nature and person solves this problem for you. To me distingushing the figurative language of Scripture from what that language means solves it.
quote:
Note that we do not reason the trinity from the scriptures. We get the trinity from our experience of God as He is revealed to us and we can show that this understanding exists in the bible as well, since the writers also experienced God that way. It's in the bible because this is our experience; we don't reason our faith out of texts.

I see that this is your point of view. Mine is that we have no knowledge of God except from revelation. How can you get the trinity from your experience of God? The idea comes, I think, from what Jesus said about Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I spoke of Athanasius and Cyril of Alexandria because their theology was proclaaimed in the first and in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth ecumenical councils respectively. However, the Kappadocean fathers were also mentioned. So, it's not just an a characteristic of Alexandrian thought.

I believe that in the broad sense the Cappadocean fathers were also Alexandrene.

quote:
Starting from Justin the Martyr, no, starting from Paul, the Lord of Glory has been identified with Jesus. He is the one who uttered the Shema in the Old Testament; not the Father. It is He the One that reveals in Himself the Father, because He is the image of the Father and the radiance of His hypostasis.
None of the above is in question. Is that clear?

quote:
You say the Jews worshipped God the Father. We speak of God as the Father, because He is the Father of the Son. If one does not accept the Son, then one does not accept the Father as well. So, they do not worship the hypostasis of the Father, although, because of our monarchy we can refer their worship to the Father. their vision of God remains unclear, although people like Moses and Abraham did have a clear view of God.
The Jews certainly worship God. God, as used in the New Testament, means the same as it means in the Old. If the fathers say otherwise, then they are wrong, as Chrysostom was wrong to say that God was the enemy of the Jews and that therefore he too was the enemy of the Jews.

Whatever is the Christian claim that there is only one God, it must be understood in a sense that does not contradict the Jewish claim. The Christian belief in the Trinity supplements but does not annul the Jewish confession.
The fathers may have had to argue against Judaism, but our task now is to reassert our continuity with Judaism.

quote:
But the Shema, if I remember correctly, was said by Jesus before the Incarnation, and not by the Father! Therefore "God" in the Shema does not mean "one divine person" or else the divinity of the Father would be denied!
Western Christians do not take 'God' there to mean 'one divine person'. But they certainly take it to mean that there is no other existent that of the same nature.

If we take 'God' in the Shema to mean anything other than 'a divine existent' then we make a nonsense of it. It would be as if a man denied that he was committing bigamy because both his wives shared the same nature of woman.

A problem here: in Greek one can use 'anthropos' to mean either an individual existent, or the nature in a platonic way. In English, it is not acceptable. (Thus English translations of Plato have to resort to periphrasis.) The formula 'I believe in one God' cannot mean 'I believe that there is only one kind of God'. In English, we would have to say 'I believe in three Gods' if we believe in only one nature but three substances.
I am not sure about the nature of Hebrew, but I think it is closer to English.

Dafyd

[ 26. April 2007, 23:39: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
The idea comes, I think, from what Jesus said about Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Pardon me for saying that, but this is what the great heresiarchs did in antiquity.

The Orthodox fathers and saints and confessors and martyrs had personal experience of what they were talking about. They knew from intimate face-to-face experience the Trinity and they tried to guide others towards that experience. in doing so, they explained the scriptures in a reasonable way. On the other hand, the heresiarchs tried to give answers, but they lacked personal experience because their "protocol" was mistaken and they lacked the ethical character of the fathers. So, they used the words contained in the scriptures to "prove" their points.

For the Saints, revelation was something they could verify in their own lives. For the heresiarchs, revelation was the words contained in the scriptures and they explained those words so that they can fit their understanding.

The difference being between knowledge that comes from experience and knowledge that comes from rational processing of the scriptures.

So, it's one thing to start from the vision of the distinction between the three persons and explain scriptures under that light, and another to try and reach at conclusions from scriptures alone. We have seen that while the fathers have been pretty consistent with each other, the heretics said all kinds of different and contradicting things concerning the faith.

quote:
]I believe that in the broad sense the Cappadocean fathers were also Alexandrene.

You said the difference in the attitudes expressed in this thread on the trinity have to do with the difference between Alexandrian and Antiochean theology. I replied that ALL the fathers I have read, no matter when they lived, or where they lived, or what language they spoke, they gave one and the same explanation of what the trinity is. I think you should give a few examples of what you mean by that "Antiochean" with regards to trinitarian theology. Who are those "Antiochean" theologians who expressed themselves in different ways about the trinity than the ways I expressed myself in this thread?

quote:
The Jews certainly worship God. God, as used in the New Testament, means the same as it means in the Old.
God who? Surely not the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, because that was Jesus Christ. They didn't understand God to be the Father either, cause the Father is the Father so long a Son exists, and they did not accept a Son. In Jesus' times those that rejected Him believed in the divine in an unclear way... Not in as clear a way as their forefathers and prophets did. God in the New and in the Old testament is one, but this does not mean that Judaism follows the Old Testament... After all, it is written that if they listened to Moses they would accept Him because Moses was talking about Him!

quote:
Whatever is the Christian claim that there is only one God, it must be understood in a sense that does not contradict the Jewish claim.
Of course we MUST CONTRADICT AND REJECT the Jewish claim. They claim that God is one person, we don't.

quote:
The Christian belief in the Trinity supplements but does not annul the Jewish confession.
The Christian belief in the Trinity equates the faith in the Trinity of the Patriarchs and the Prophets and the Just men and women of the Old Testament, but this faith is not the faith of Judaism...

quote:
If we take 'God' in the Shema to mean anything other than 'a divine existent' then we make a nonsense of it.
Then Christian faith is bullocks and the Jews have got it right all along... On the contrary, the Shema is spoken by the second person of the Trinity, by the second "divine existent" if you like, and it can only be understood as referring to the one divine nature.

quote:
A problem here: in Greek one can use 'anthropos' to mean either an individual existent, or the nature in a platonic way. In English, it is not acceptable.
First of all, the Greek SPEAKING fathers have rejected and condemned Platonism. That said, this argument, that one can use "God" to mean only a divine existent was used by the Arians. And they spoke Greek. This is why the fathers replied that they don't have a clue what the term means. Pretty much like what happened in the monothelite controversy. It's not a language issue. It's a theological issue. Greek speaking people said that will means "to will" ie the way of willing and Greek speaking people said that will means "what one wills". Greek speaking people said that one God means the one divine nature, and Greek speaking people said that God means the one divine individual. This is why e.g. Gregory said that if your use of language leads you to a theology that is different than the Church's you should change your language, and that custom in the use of language cannot be used as an excuse in theology.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
The idea comes, I think, from what Jesus said about Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Pardon me for saying that, but this is what the great heresiarchs did in antiquity.

The Orthodox fathers and saints and confessors and martyrs had personal experience of what they were talking about. They knew from intimate face-to-face experience the Trinity and they tried to guide others towards that experience.

Andreas, are you saying that godly individuals from ancient times, even before Christ, who had personal experience with God always knew that He was a trinity?

While I think that there are passages in the Old Testament that can be seen that way, if you choose, I think that you are wrong about this.

I do agree that once a person is persuaded of an idea, no matter how heretical, he is inclined to interpret Scripture in a way that favors that heresy. This is what we always have to guard against by carefully reading and comparing the Scriptures.

But I think that the church is founded on God's revelation in Scripture, which testifies to His Incarnation. It is true that people need to also be enlightened by God in order to understand these Scriptures.

I think that it is wrong, though, to give priority to the personal experience of God that the Orthodox fathers and saints and confessors and martyrs may have had. In saying this you are really just admitting their writings to the canon, and saying that they have equal weight. Which is fine if you want to do that.

Christianity has always, I think, given priority to the Scriptures.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016