homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Social action and shipmeets (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Social action and shipmeets
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I thought there'd be a thread on this, but I can't find one.

On the "Steering the Ship" thread in Styx, whilst discussing unrest, Lyda*Rose made this suggestion:
quote:
How about something really radical, like planning some shipmeets occasionally that involve Christian service and then the pubs and visiting after a job well-done? Not that I don't like meeting my friends, but offhand I can't think of a meet that was based on service (although I may just have missed such suggestions, sorry if that's the case) and I can't think why, with all our hundreds of active members, this has never been suggested even for a one-off. I do know that shipmates do plenty of service in their churches and community, but it seems odd that our unrestful Christian community hasn't dipped its toes into the waters. Wadya think? Unrestful by our norms?
I think this is a fantastic idea. I've been to dozens of shipmeets, and they do all seem to take the form of drinking, eating, and more drinking (with the exception of stuff like the Artists' meet, perhaps). Which is all good, I'm not complaining, but maybe we could think about doing something a bit different.

So if the AS hosts think it's appropriate to this board, I'd like to knock around a few ideas of what we could actually do in this sort of area. Perhaps there are church or community programmes that people know of that we could get involved in, or maybe we would want to do something independently. I'm curious to know what folks think (from anywhere in the world at this point, I'm thinking more of general ideas rather than specific meets).

Paul W

[ 08. October 2007, 15:29: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for starting this thread, Paul W. -- I was just coming to All Saints to do the same after tossing ideas around with a few people.

I was hoping we could get some ideas going, both around the concept of service-oriented Shipmeets, and also more generally about ways Shipmates could encourage each other to be involved in service and social action. Some ideas might include:

-occasional (monthly? weekly?) challenges thrown out by Shipmates to others, encouraging people to get involved in a specific service activity like donating groceries to a food bank or clothing to a shelter.

-providing links to projects or ideas that Shipmates have found useful and worthwhile.

-planning Shipmeets of the kind suggested in the OP and on the Styx thread -- for example, I think it would be cool if a group of Shipmates got together to work on a Habitat project or something of that nature -- of course it would depend on what people in a particular area were interested in, and what possibilities were available.

-tossing around ideas on the possibility of any larger projects that Ship members might want to band together to work on ... that's a bit vague, but if people put their heads together, who knows what might come out of it in the long run?

In short, I was inspired to start an All Saints thread to discuss what possibilities there might be for people on the Ship to work together and encourage each other in service-oriented activities. I'm glad someone else had the same idea and started the thread, and I hope others have lots to contribute, because I think there's a lot of potential here!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a great idea!

A day is coming up this week that can at least be remembered if there is a shipmeet this weekend. June 20 is World Refugee Day. If anyone is meeting in the next week or so, please say a prayer or two for the refugees of the world.

In the meantime, I would like to be part of a discussion of combining some sort of service and shipmeeting. I live in a central part of the US ("Crossroads of America" is my state's motto) in case people want/need a place to meet.

However, rather than meet in a place and then look for a project, it might work easier for folks to post a project and see if there are shipmates who can attend a meet for the purpose of participating (and then doing the traditional afterwards).

p.s. I am able to look in here only sporadically at the moment. My parents are both ill and require some attention. They live in another city. If something big is about to happen or someone wants my opinion and I haven't been around, please PM me.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad others were thinking along similar lines. My internet access is a bit sporadic for the next 3 weeks, but I'll keep up and contribute to this as best I can.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
-tossing around ideas on the possibility of any larger projects that Ship members might want to band together to work on ... that's a bit vague, but if people put their heads together, who knows what might come out of it in the long run?

This in particular is interesting, trying to figure out if there's something bigger that we can do, in the unique position we have as members of a worldwide community of shipmates. Having folks in different countries and continents working together towards a common goal.

But anything would be good, large or small, local or widespread.

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the global element is interesting - is there some way we can arrange a day / week of action for a certain project we all agree on? It could be for a certain charity, based on a certain topic / area we think is important etc. If it is arranged it might even make media coverage - Christian website users from across the world to tackle xxx issue? (not that the media side is important, but it puts what we are doing / trying to achieve in the public eye.)

Would it work? How would it work/

The other way I see shipmates helping each other / working together is to have some kind of thread where if (as many of us probably are) are working on a project for our church and we need practical help we can have a thread where we can ask. It could even morph into some kind of database where individuals sign up and give there expertise / areas they can help on and then can be accessed by other shipmates to find out who in their area can help.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I put in a vote for the homeless?

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to put a vote in for something we can all do, wherever we are living. That's one reason I love the paschal penguin and secret santa stuff - the idea that things are going on all over the world because of SoF. If we could come up with something to all do, it would be a really neat - the ship's cancer fighting team (and the current one which I have yet to download - oops!) is one version of that.

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are sleep outs in various parts of the country as part of Refugee Week - although I think the one in Cardiff is actually 7 July.

rosemary

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are great ideas, and I hope you will keep them coming. But if any of them are to make a difference, you will also need to put in the effort to make it happen.

Gentle word of hostly advice:

I might add that it would be wise to steer clear of any advertising (other than a link in your sig) and to remember that not everyone will share your enthusiasm for your favorite cause. Those who agree to take part may do so. Those who do not have that right as well.

[ 18. June 2007, 20:45: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are really great ideas, and all doable, IMO. The global thing would take some organization, but a cause, a date, and the action to be taken is really all we'd need.

As to local stuff, I'm all for that, too, and it be affordable and accessible for any Shipmate who might want to participate.

I'm a big homeless advocate, myself, and have learned some great activities from my son. One he did was collect new socks (the white athletic type) to be distributed to the homeless. Anyone can afford to buy a pair of socks! You might could set up a box in your church or workplace to collect from others, as well. Or a Shipmeet could be built around that theme, with everyone attending bringing socks and someone being responsible for their distribution (or you all trooping down somewhere together to donate them!)

Closer to the holidays we might try a nonperishable food collection drive. I don't know any charitible institution, food panty, shelter or church that will turn down groceries!

I'll bet there are lots more socially conscious folks than me who have ideas, too.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
I'd like to put a vote in for something we can all do, wherever we are living. That's one reason I love the paschal penguin and secret santa stuff - the idea that things are going on all over the world because of SoF. If we could come up with something to all do, it would be a really neat - the ship's cancer fighting team (and the current one which I have yet to download - oops!) is one version of that.

I like that idea too. I had a vague idea about either a massive clear out / charity shop (or local equiv) donation over the same week.

Tubbs

[ 18. June 2007, 21:07: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
National What Week?, UK based but some international events, based around wildlife/climate change/environmental issues. For example we are in National Bike Week and there are links to the sites involved.

And this school site has all the links for Refugee Week and any other weeks they know about.

Some of the things we could all do are raising money for the blind with Shades day, and Wrong Trousers day for children in hospices.

[ 18. June 2007, 21:18: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit of information many people may be unaware of. One of the earliest Shipmeets, I think it was only the second ever, was a Jubilee 2000 march. Just a bit before my time, but there's precedent for meets being more than just food, booze and good company.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to jump out and suggest everybody donate to a local food bank during the week of july 1st through july 7th. Food banks get lots of donations around christmas I imagine they could use some during the summer as well.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea - in this area of the world it's
winter, so I'm sure donations would be very welcome.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
I am going to jump out and suggest everybody donate to a local food bank during the week of july 1st through july 7th. Food banks get lots of donations around christmas I imagine they could use some during the summer as well.

Great idea. Yes, the food banks are feeding people all year around.

If you don't have (a lot of) money, but you have time, they might like a hand sorting or delivering things.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:

If you don't have (a lot of) money, but you have time, they might like a hand sorting or delivering things.

Charlotte

Yup. Especially if the schools are out in your neck of the woods--school lunch is the one guaranteed meal for many kids in poverty.

I've done sorting at the San Francisco Food Bank: one thing many food banks do is use money donations to buy terrifying amounts of fresh produce at cost from supermarket distributors. They need unskilled volunteer labor to do stuff like chuck out the rotten peaches, put the apples in 5-pound bags, etc. Since it only takes 5 minutes to orient a volunteer ("toss it if it's squishy. Any questions?"), they'll take 5 people who can only do it once for a few hours just as happily as they would one weekly volunteer.

[ 19. June 2007, 04:04: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our friends wanted nothing for his birthday.

So we gave him a goat.

Tear Australia makes this service available as do others. It would involve setting up a paypal site, but international contributions could be then handled.

Ship of Fools goats?
Well of Fools?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:

Yup. Especially if the schools are out in your neck of the woods--school lunch is the one guaranteed meal for many kids in poverty.

I've done sorting at the San Francisco Food Bank: one thing many food banks do is use money donations to buy terrifying amounts of fresh produce at cost from supermarket distributors. They need unskilled volunteer labor to do stuff like chuck out the rotten peaches, put the apples in 5-pound bags, etc. Since it only takes 5 minutes to orient a volunteer ("toss it if it's squishy. Any questions?"), they'll take 5 people who can only do it once for a few hours just as happily as they would one weekly volunteer.

Hey, I sorted apples and oranges at the SF Food Bank, although we put them in a standard "wine" carton on a pallet. (We also put frozen corn cobs in bags of 12, then sealed and labelled the bags.)

My impression was that they got donations of the less-than-perfect-looking stuff. I know that some of what I see at the Alameda County FB is "cosmetically challenged".

We have video of our group pitching rotten oranges at the "rejects" bin. Oranges are much more aerodynamic than apples and we had a lot of fun doing that. Bombs away! So bring your friends, your youth group, or whatever.

The regular volunteers got to do the cool things like drive the forklift truck.

We were told that our pallets of produce were going to large-scale customers.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:

So we gave him a goat.

Ship of Fools goats?
Well of Fools?

Just to exemplify the comments above about pet projects, I have heard too much against the damage that livestock sent to Africa can do to fragile regeneration of the local ecology to feel comfortable with the "Send a Goat" campaigns.

Mind you, I really fancied sending cans of worms to particular relatives.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still shudder at the chaos caused by my innocent query as to whether we ought to give a goat as a wedding present to a couple at work.

BUT we ended up buying a small baby forest instead. [Smile]

Not practical for us on here I don't think.

Well - it seems fairly obvious to me that as an online community, we could do worse than look at community projects. I'm not aware of 'foodbanks' over here but we have soup kitchens. And places people do go for help and shelter. I suppose I'm thinking 'Lifeboats' now; metaphorical ones - though of course Lifeboats are supported by charity too, and they have difficulty collecting inland. We're about as far inland as you can get and I saw a man collecting for A Lifeboat charity the other day and wondered how much luck he was having...

[ 19. June 2007, 07:03: Message edited by: Vikki Pollard ]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A bit of information many people may be unaware of. One of the earliest Shipmeets, I think it was only the second ever, was a Jubilee 2000 march. Just a bit before my time, but there's precedent for meets being more than just food, booze and good company.

Thanks Alan - I had been trying to find the link to this for ages to post on the Styx thread. I was starting to think it had been disappeared! What I remember from the thread (started by 'frin from a discussion we were having) that gave rise to our attendance at the march and the service beforehand was that people came becasue they wanted to protest and were frustrated because noone else at their church wanted to or even seemed to care.

Are there things that people feel that way about now that we could use the Ship Community to pick up?

Lola

Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I missed the discussion awhile back about whether goats, etc., are good for gifts -- I'll have to look that one up -- not wanting to drag in a Purgatorial discussion on this thread -- because I've always been very supportive of Heifer International and I'd like to know more about it if there are negatives (of course, aren't there negatives to everything?!?!)

I'm happy to take up the challenge of donating something to a food bank in the first week of July. It really is true that at least in North America summer is a very bad time for people who rely on food banks; there isn't that burst of generosity people get around Thanksgiving and Christmas and, as someone else mentioned, kids out of school are not getting the free school lunch that often helps out so much. Our Christian radio station where I volunteer runs a "Christmas in July" food drive in mid-July for this reason.

[ 19. June 2007, 09:44: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One small problem with food banks.

In my experience they are not well established in the UK. Yes they do exist but you almost have to get to know about them by word of mouth.

Two in Sheffield have just gone although one still gives out sandwiches and snacks due to the closures of the organisations (FSU and a Methodist Church). In Sheffield at least one refugee charity wants money to give out rather than food. I know because my church tried donating food.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is true of almost any volunteer service. Holidays seem to bring out the altruist in us, but then during the summer, things begin to lag. I used to be the intake worker at a local food pantry. We were so short of food donations and volunteers during the summer months that we often bought food from our own pockets just to have something to give people besides bags of corn meal.

-----

Many of the posts here are on the theme of things we can do without actually forming a group IRL--I think that's a good idea, people dedicating time to a similar event or cause around the same time in various places in the world.

But I'd also like to see some discussion about an actual Shipmeet whose purpose is to bring people together for service.

Perhaps some of us know about a charity event that is already in place so we wouldn't have to plan and execute but could show up and participate. I'm thinking especially of events that consist of a meal (a barbecue, for example). If we eat our meal for charity, we can then proceed on to having other more traditional shipmeet activies later in the evening.

If anyone likes this idea, I would suggest checking local churches and organizations to see if anything is going on that would fit the bill and then inviting shipmates from the surrounding region to attend. I will be looking at the events in my city.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:

So we gave him a goat.

Tear Australia makes this service available as do others. It would involve setting up a paypal site, but international contributions could be then handled.

Ship of Fools goats?
Well of Fools?

Another similar organization which I've contributed to is Heifer International.

I love the idea of us all doing good together on the same day, even if we aren't together physically. Our hearts can be united! [Big Grin] Count me in.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like all these ideas - both active actions and online actions.

Some charities who offer "alternative gifts" also offer the facility for lots of people to contribute to one thing (maybe the Lifeboats do?) - might be worth investigating?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I do think it's great to plan both virtual and RL events. For example, because of where I live it's virtually certain that I'd never be able to attend a service-oriented Shipmeet, but I love the idea of them happening (and would look forward to hearing reports if people do!). Doing something at the same time as other Shipmates even if we're all in different places gives me that feeling of participation.

--------------------
Books and things.

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some food bank type things in the UK, one is based in the church next door to me! It is called the Larder though. The food banks are rare things, we get referrals from all over the area, and try to turn noone down. Our church has partnered with another local church to do food drops on their patch. Vouchers for supermarkets are very well appreciated too.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Re: Heifer International and groups like that -- you don't have to "give a goat". Give a beehive. Give a chicken and a brood of chicks. They can help you with other things.)

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A germ of an idea is Water for Two, which has begun quietly but effectively this year. World Water Day is March 22 and the idea, very simply is that if every one in the Western World donated the price of a bottle of springwater once each year, we could halve the world's unclean water problems. This is a global campaign and very, very doable. The infrastructure is set up: it just needs publicity. It could save the lives of many many millions of people very quickly if communities and organizations (Christian or not)get behind it. If you think this has merit, please check out www.worldwaterday.org and follow the links. Alternately see waterfortwo.fusion2one.com

[ 19. June 2007, 11:54: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
I do think it's great to plan both virtual and RL events. For example, because of where I live it's virtually certain that I'd never be able to attend a service-oriented Shipmeet, but I love the idea of them happening (and would look forward to hearing reports if people do!). Doing something at the same time as other Shipmates even if we're all in different places gives me that feeling of participation.

Well said, Trudy. I'm in the same position re: RL events, but I very much like the prospect of linking with other shipmates through community service.

The food bank idea works well for me; in my community, there are no major food bank drives until early August, but the current need is huge.

Would it work to have "theme" days or weeks during which anyone who wished to participate contributes somehow to a cause locally or internationally? Could we, for example, have a day/week dedicated to children & youth, or environment, or international development?

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the gifts, if you look at the Christian Aid or Oxfam gifts there are some pretty expensive ones. I think one is to buy a school! Now if it was possible to aim for one of those, people could contribute in a variety of ways. They could simply donate on-line, and we could have sponsored events to raise money or we could host tea parties and ask people to donate (the way MacMillan's Nurses do). Actually a tea party chain might be a good way to do it! If you want me to spell out how this works I can.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With reference to throwing tea/coffee mornings etc., I know that Classic FM organise a yearly coffee morning to raise money for Cancer Research (forgive me, I can't remember the exact details here), there are also events like the Walk For Life.

Maybe some of the Ship's musicians could arrange a meet where they can take live music into hospitals (contact me if you want more info on this).

ETA: I am w*rking for Music in Hospitals, and they have many fund raising events that are 'done' by the public in order to raise funding for more concerts in hospital settings.

[ 19. June 2007, 14:57: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a teaparty chain could be really good: it has the potential to turn into a good shipmeet and would be easy to have loads in different bits of the world

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny how the collective unconscious works. I was wondering a while back how to phrase an OP that would suggest a service meet to reconstruct a crap sandbox for a preschool.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

Wow, some great ideas so far. Foodbanks/soup kitchens seem to be a popular choice, and I'm pretty sure most cities will have something of that line going on, if we look hard enough.

I like the idea of the give-a-goat type schemes, especially Jengie's point about the bigger items, such as classrooms or wells. We'd struggle to be able to afford those as individuals, but maybe working together as a community we could raise money towards something like this.

As with anything, different people will have different causes that are important to them, so we could do a number of things depending on where the interest is. Not all of them would necessarily involve money, some being more about giving up a bit of spare time.

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
I like the idea of the give-a-goat type schemes, especially Jengie's point about the bigger items, such as classrooms or wells. We'd struggle to be able to afford those as individuals, but maybe working together as a community we could raise money towards something like this.

I love this idea. It is an amazing thought that as a group we could contribute to something which would potentially be life-changing.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post... I wonder whether something like the Mercy Ships would be appropriate. Through the Living Generously scheme you can donate money towards things like cleft lip and palate operations, wells, seeds and beehives.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps St Simeon's Day (Satirday 21st July) could be earmarked as the 'do something good for others international day'.

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

The Mercy Ships seem very fitting!

I organise the MacMillan Coffee Morning at work every year. People are generally extremely happy to support something as long as they don't have to organise it...

Keep talking, everyone! I think there are some great ideas here. I love the thought of a classroom, or even a school, being a teacher.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for supporting Mercy SHips on St Simeon's Day [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I propose that we set up some event online or otherwise once a month. We can use this thread to decide which idea we use then start a thread on implimenting and celibrating the success of said idea.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay,okay I stuffed up the link. For more inspirational stuff: http://waterfortwo.fusion2one.com/

Whatever is chosen, it should be something that can happen both on-line and off. Preferably in many countries, and in most languages. This could fit those kind of criteria. Of course there does not just have to be just one thing shipmates do - but water and life are linked in a very basic way, and those who organize this from different countries have the opportunity to select their own water projects to help.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One action project that's been running for a while is for Shipmates to use spare computing capacity for a distributive computing project. Given that most of us have our own computers, and some work computers we could install such software on, it's something most of us can do. And, considering that we're dependant on computers it seems a fairly appropriate thing to do - that spare capacity includes times when we're doing nothing but sitting reading a thread.

For details, see this thread.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
(Re: Heifer International and groups like that -- you don't have to "give a goat". Give a beehive. Give a chicken and a brood of chicks. They can help you with other things.)

[tangent]I gave a hive of bees in honor of my niece and two nephews this past Christmas. Younger Nephew was very excited and asked if they were killer bees!!! [Killing me] [/tangent]

[sppelink]

[ 20. June 2007, 12:52: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
One small problem with food banks.

In my experience they are not well established in the UK. Yes they do exist but you almost have to get to know about them by word of mouth.

The Salvation Army still perform the function of food banks in most UK cities, I believe...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Two more things to consider when supporting food banks:

It's nice to donate food, but donations of money are even more effective - our local food bank can turn a $1 donation into $3 of food. Cash donations enable the food bank to purchase fruits, vegetables, and perishable food items.

Food banks will also accept non-food donations in kind to sustain their operations - anything from computers to pallet jacks to toilet paper.

Cheers, OliviaG

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we go ahead and get a concensus and a ruling, if necessary, about what we're going to do, and then get a new thread started about it? I hate to see this drop off Page 1, and then off altogether.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'm about to take off for the weekend, but my vote would be that we should take the suggestion of donating to a food bank during the first week of July as a starting project. Perhaps someone could start a new thread about that, and we could keep this one alive with further discussion about the other excellent ideas people have proposed. It might work to have this thread as an ongoing discussion of "Projects we might do," which could be bumped up as needed, and then start separate threads for projects we've actually decided to go for. Sort of the way the book club works in Heaven, with an ongoing book club thread and then separate threads for each month's discussion.

--------------------
Books and things.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016