homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Social Action: Disaster Relief

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Social Action: Disaster Relief
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been suggested on the Ship's social action thread that we support disaster relief. With the flooding in England and the need for all disaster agencies to be prepared for the next flood/earthquake/forest fire/tsunami/hurricane. I suggest that any shipmeets held in august set up a disaster relief theme. If you are not haveing a shipmeet donate to the local or any other disaster agency.

[ 08. October 2007, 15:30: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this is what everyone is happy witb, a couple of links for fundraising efforts for flood relief in the UK, are either the Red Cross Flood appeal or the The Church Urban Fund Flood Disaster Appeal.

Sorry: edit to tidy up my copying and pasting.

[ 28. July 2007, 11:09: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The WRVS are also working in this area and are appealing for funds.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the biggest disaster currently is the flooding in Asia, Christian Aid are appealing for funds to support those in need in India and Pakistan

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please remember the wonderful work done all over the world by Episcopal Relief and Development. They're on the scene whenever and wherever disaster strikes; they also do long-term work fighting hunger, poverty, AIDS, etc., in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia, in partnership with local groups. And every bit of your contribution goes to help those in need.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give a regular monthly donation to ADRA but I will bump it up a little this month in honour of the Ship push for disaster relief!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This can almost be a copy of Ross's post. The United Methodist Committee on Relief goes all over the world to help folks in need. All that's needed is a request for help. And, like the Episcopal organization, 100% of the donations go to the needs of people in distress.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
And every bit of your contribution goes to help those in need.

That is a wee bit misleading. According to their financial report, 8% of your contribution goes to administration and fundraising (which actually isn't a bad percentage):
quote:
As seen in the 2006 Expenses graph and chart, ERD spends 84% on program versus 8% on administration and 8% on fundraising. Because of the support Episcopal Relief and Development receives from the Domestic and Foreign Missionary
Society in the form of contributed services and a cash grant as well as ERD’s own investment income, 92% of your donor dollar goes directly to programs.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
This can almost be a copy of Ross's post. The United Methodist Committee on Relief goes all over the world to help folks in need. All that's needed is a request for help. And, like the Episcopal organization, 100% of the donations go to the needs of people in distress.

UMCOR's website clarifies this as well, by indicating you need to designate your funds for the specific programs, though it would appear that most administrative fees are covered by UMC members:
quote:
Private donors can designate their gifts to our programs with the assurance that 100 percent is spent on the programs. The 8.5 million members of the United Methodist Church assure our ability to guarantee this through undesignated giving that underwrites our general administrative expenses.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churches of Christ Disaster Relief Effort, Inc.

quote:
We are Cost Effective
More than 85% of every donated dollar goes directly to disaster victims, 86.82% to be precise. Expenses such as salaries, utilities, supplies, maintenance, depreciation, truck rentals, etc. amounted to only 13.18%. We are proud of this remarkable record and acknowledge that without our many volunteers this could not be possible.

Distribution of Supplies
Churches of Christ Disaster Relief only works through the local Church of Christ in the community or town where the disaster has occurred. If there is no Church of Christ in the town, Disaster Relief will contact the nearest town that has a Church of Christ and ask for help. Supplies will be distributed by this congregation "in the name of the Lord" to anyone who has been affected by the disaster regardless of race, color, creed, or religion.

When we have flooding, storms, etc., here, this is the group that sends us all the food, water, cleaning & baby & HBA supplies, furniture and appliances to pass out to people affected.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And to follow Janine, we Disciples have our (even more) cost efficient Week of Compassion.

And you can contribute online.

I have known Johnny Wray, the director of Week of Compassion, for over thirty years. He doesn't just sit behind a desk and decide who gets funds; he goes to the disaster site and finds out from the disaster victims themselves what they need. (He's made quite a few trips down your way, Janine. But then, he's a good ol' boy from southern Mississippi. [Biased] )

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016