homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Greenbelt 2007 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Greenbelt 2007
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
isnt it all fertilizer?
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First bits of the talks lineup are on the site.

For those of us that actually go to the talks...

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are talks? [Eek!]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just about to buy our first tickets since 1979! [Eek!]

(And currently B&B hunting. Camping??? You're all mad. [Disappointed] )

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay for first GB tickets in aaaaaaages! [Big Grin]

Weren't all the B&Bs booked up months ago?

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was mentioning this on the Cafe last night - but due to finances, I'll probably have to see if I can budget for Greenbelt 2008.

Would need comments and assistance re hotel accommodation, as I don't know Cheltenham.

Also - I looked on their site - but wasn't able to see material about maybe a Greenbelt Experience DVD i could get hold of.

Out of interest, what *is* the teaching like at that conference?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's teaching at Greenbelt?
We're going for the bands and the beer*. [Biased]

Pânts, there seems to be a few B&Bs left that don't involve too long a walk back at night - but we're certainly getting more 'noes' than 'yesses' to our enquiries**.

* And the wonderful company, of course.
** So, what are the plurals to no and yes?

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

See, if you camped, you'd have even less far to walk. [Biased]

I *think* I went to one talk once. Fraid I can't remember what it was about though. [Roll Eyes]

[ 20. February 2007, 08:45: Message edited by: Pânts ]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a couple of talks... but generally left about 10 minutes later to go to the Organic Beer Tent.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We *may* have aj's family over for a few weeks near The Wedding so we may want to hire a cottage. Im now getting panicky that cottage may be in the next county :s

I was half wonderign about having a "hen party" of sorts at GB... as in looking silly and having a drink somewhere.... [Smile] [Smile]

Good/bad idea!? Thoughts welcome [Two face]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a drink?

hen parties generally consist of more than one drink do they not?! [Big Grin]

As you know Emma love, I think its a superb idea [Smile]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
I was half wonderign about having a "hen party" of sorts at GB... as in looking silly and having a drink somewhere.... [Smile] [Smile]

Good/bad idea!? Thoughts welcome [Two face]

Emma, a wonderful idea

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
looking silly and having a drink somewhere...

YOU'RE going to have a drink now? [quakes in boots]

"Ish thish my tent?"
"Yes, this is your tent."
"Are you shure thish ish my tent?"
"Yes, I'm quite sure this is your tent. Look, it's got your enormous airbed in it."
"[giggle] Oh look! It'sh my bed! [falls over]"

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ags:
There's teaching at Greenbelt?
We're going for the bands and the beer*. [Biased]

Pânts, there seems to be a few B&Bs left that don't involve too long a walk back at night - but we're certainly getting more 'noes' than 'yesses' to our enquiries**.

* And the wonderful company, of course.
** So, what are the plurals to no and yes?

Sorry about that - I've only been to Spring Harvest and a YWAM Go Fest (SH in 2002, and Go fest in 1990). I looked around - and after I had posted, I saw copy that described Greenbelt as "God's Glastonbury"...

In comparison to Keswick, New Wine, Stoneleigh, Mandate, Prayer for the Nations etc etc...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
quote:
looking silly and having a drink somewhere...

YOU'RE going to have a drink now? [quakes in boots]

"Ish thish my tent?"
"Yes, I'm quite sure this is your tent. Look, it's got your enormous airbed in it."

[Angel] Wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

I might be persuaded to partake of a small amount of alcohol.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
I might be persuaded to partake of a small amount of alcohol.

For breakfast?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
I've only been to Spring Harvest and a YWAM Go Fest (SH in 2002, and Go fest in 1990). I looked around - and after I had posted, I saw copy that described Greenbelt as "God's Glastonbury"...

In comparison to Keswick, New Wine, Stoneleigh, Mandate, Prayer for the Nations etc etc...

As well as Greenbelt I've only ever been to Keswick, but maybe I can help....
first, have you had a look at the Greenbelt website ? There is info under the "About us" tab and it is worth having a wander around.

Compared to Keswick it is has far more options of seminars, running for a huge part of the day. There isn't a central teaching or worship session like at Keswick, instead there are many choices - a great opportunity to try something new or something you don't often get to experience at home (I used to go purely for the Iona worship - anything else I did was a bonus). The roots of the Greenbelt teaching are varied, and it is an excellent opportunity to hear people from a range of backgrounds speaking on a variety of topical (and often challenging) subjects. Although most speakers will be Christian, there might bwe some exceptions - a few years ago I heard Anita Rodick speak and it was great.

The arts side is important as well, and you'll find a wealth of different music, performing arts and static art available - I would think something to suit everyone. There will also probably be workshops.

Like at Keswick there are many exhibitors, mostly in one "village", where you can learn about lots of different Christian organisations.

Like at Keswick there are many different places for beverages - all on site - and you could find the same people gathering at the same place - I particularly liked the Tiny Tea Tent.

I'd say give it a go even if it's just for once - get a programme as soon as you get there otherwise you could miss out on what is going on. Give yourself time just to "be" as well.

(for me the comparison isn't between Keswick etc but between "old" Greenbelt and "new" Greenbelt at Cheltenham [Smile] )

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
very nicely put daisy daisy , i couldnt say it better myself, and I dont think I have anything to add to what I chatted about in the cafe the other night alex, about the differences between Keswick and Greenbelt. Or spring harvest and Greenbelt.
They just don't compare. They are completely opposite. I personally found it really hard to get a perception of Greenbelt in my head before I went for the first time, and then when I got there what I had got in my head turned out to be different to what I found .
I was used to a more charismatic version of spring harvest, and so greenbelt compared is very diverse.

I think though, most people find something they connect with

L

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Lookin:
...the differences between Keswick and Greenbelt. Or spring harvest and Greenbelt.
They just don't compare. They are completely opposite.

Exactly. Dunno about Keswick, but SH and GB are worlds, universes apart.

--------------------

Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of the whole thing about similarities and differences GB, SH and Keswick are similar in that all can be regarded as sites for evangelical pilgrimage.

However, each of them caters for a specific market and the market for GB is much wider than evo's, it also attracts many liberals and radicals and also lots of people of no faith who just come for a good time aswell.

Also GB is an arts festival where as the other two both bill themselves as conferences.

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I think that TG has it spot on in terms of breadth.

In terms of SH and GB you will find that there is a lapover of bands/performers/speakers attending both, its just the whole set up and style and approach is so completely different.

GB is a festival - theres 101 things going on in different places all at the same time with much overlapping of times etc, you can have people in different tents talking on the same topic but with differing perspectives..

My recollection of conferences is that most people follow the same basic timetable (ie evening maybe worship/praise seminars are 2-4 talks are 10-13 for example) even if they are spread across different venues catering for different tastes.

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

I would echo Emma I think its important to understand you go to Gb needing to choose what you go to.

Whereas a "conference" the choice is the main meeting or staying in your tent/chalet/hotel or having coffee and browsing the book store during the afternoon seminars at Greenbelt there are things from first thing in the morning to last thing at night. I think some of my friends worked out if you filled your day non stop from sun rise to last thing in the evening you could cram in stuff to occupy you every moment of the day. Cant remember how many hours of teaching they came up with but it was insane.

You really do pick and choose whereas the choice at SH and other places seems very limited and confined once you experience GB

L

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Lookin:
I think some of my friends worked out if you filled your day non stop from sun rise to last thing in the evening you could cram in stuff to occupy you every moment of the day.

Or you could do nothing at all.

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first few music acts have gone up on the GB site:

Music Section

Billy Bragg is back! [Yipee]

Paul W
(Who hasn't been checking the site every day, honestly! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

oooooooooo Chas n Dave... how fun!!! and One Nation!! Marvellous. I am getting excited already!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:

Billy Bragg is back! [Yipee]

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Fantastic - missed 2003, and didn't think he'd be back for a while.

Very exciting.

b

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool. He was great in 03. Now all we need is Kate Rusby or something and Tom'll be a happy man.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Billy Bragg is back!

Why isn't there a manly-thrusting-of-fist-into-the-air smiley?

[Yipee]

Of coruse the Waterson-Carthy people and Kate Rusby, and at least half a dozen other great acts made that year one of the best folk-rock line-ups imagineable

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

P'raps we should run a fantasy Greenbelt line-up one year and see who gets the most artists right!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

i like one nation, and chas and dave, well ... [Smile]

is looking promising

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chas n Dave? Brilliant but nowhere near as brilliant as our Chav n Dave fancy dress party e had last week.
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

quote:
Originally posted by da_musicman:
Chas n Dave? Brilliant but nowhere near as brilliant as our Chav n Dave fancy dress party e had last week.

Maybe we could organise another for their gig at Greenbelt... [Big Grin]

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Of coruse the Waterson-Carthy people and Kate Rusby, and at least half a dozen other great acts made that year one of the best folk-rock line-ups imagineable

Yeah, and the ones in robes of whom we do not speak...

[Biased]

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile]

--------------------
Ken

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Waterson Carthy are playing at a folk club near me sometime soon. Are they worth going to see?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Waterson Carthy are playing at a folk club near me sometime soon. Are they worth going to see?

Does the sun rise in the East?

Norma Waterson is one of the great woman singers of our time. Compare her to Edith Piaf, to Aretha Franklin, to Billy Holliday. Hear her sing if you get the chance.

Martin Carthy is Martin Carthy.

And their daughter rocks. Or shoudl that be reels?

--------------------
Ken

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm, do you reckon they could get at least one of the Carthys back, 'for old time's sake'? Not that I was there, but still...I can dream...

Already, the music lineup looks good, and so do the talks. Hmm, I must try and make it back this year.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Auntie Doris x

So worth going to see that I'd trek out and come with you. When are they playing?

(I heard Martin C play in a folk club late last year and even having a rather oderous chap standing far too close behind me and burping nasty smells over my head couldn't detract from the wonder of his performance.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

They are playing on the 3rd of June at Hitchin Folk Club.

The e-mail I received says

quote:
One of Britain's most successful and influential folk bands. This is a first visit to this club for the whole family, including their famous daughter, singer and fiddle player, Eliza Carthy.
I suspect we would have to book early for it. What do you think.... advance warning of a ship meet?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

Billy Bragg and Chas and Dave [Big Grin]

[ 28. February 2007, 18:08: Message edited by: Tractor Girl ]

--------------------

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

Ok, they've just added Duke Special. I read the biog and was just as mystified at the end as I was at the beginning. Can anyone enlighten me?

(He did mention Joe Jackson, which can only be a Good Thing.™)

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love "Free Wheel" by Duke Special.

"I don't wanna stand still, I just wanna free wheel..."

I think the word pretentious music hacks use is "elegiac", but I'm not too sure what that means...

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
"Ish thish my tent?"

[Angel] Wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about
No dear. Course you wouldn't. That said, you didn't have much of an idea what I was talking about at the time, either.

[quakes in boots some more]

[ 01. March 2007, 14:32: Message edited by: Persephone Hazard ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

[Razz]

[Angel]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I suspect we would have to book early for it. What do you think.... advance warning of a ship meet?

Book now. You might be lucky.

--------------------
Ken

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, they've just added Duke Special. I read the biog and was just as mystified at the end as I was at the beginning. Can anyone enlighten me?

Duke Special came to Greenbelt a couple of years ago. He's an irish guy who plays kitchen implements among other things.
Anyway, it's very good. And lke Orb says Freewheel is a lovely song. Which must be one of the very very few occasions me and him have agreed about anything musical.

Haven't booked for this year yet cos I have no iddea what I'll be doing then. Would love to go, but will have to see nearer the time if I can afford a properly priced ticket

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Brilliant news! My girlfriend is getting me their album for my birthday, although I saw them a few years ago at GB I had forgotton about them, but then she turns them up on itunes and reintroduces me to them. Hooray.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe we could organise another for their gig at Greenbelt... [Big Grin]

Paul W

Sounds a good idea. I'll keep a hold of my David Blunkett dog on wheels for my costume. Who else is coming as a Dave and who's coming as a Chaz/Chav?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by da_musicman:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul W.:
[qb]I'll keep a hold of my David Blunkett dog on wheels for my costume.

The problem is da_musicman is this could be a perfectly sensible statement for you!!!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016