homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Greenbelt 2007 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Greenbelt 2007
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was beginning to be tempted until mention of snoring - I wonder how soundproof my tent is?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Besides, people at GB don't stay up all night having raucous drunken parties, do they? There are far better things to do having forked out all that dosh to go. Not to mention it's hard enough to be up and awake for the 9am worship sessions without staying up past midnight. Or, have I spent half my life going to GB and totally missed the point of the festival?

The point of the festival for you isn't necessarily the same as the point of the festival for me or any of the other thousands of people who go. Likewise, I'm sure that the precise definition of "far better things to do" varies wildly from person to person, and some would consider letting their hair down and having a few bottles of wine with friends they only see once a year to be one of the best bits of the weekend.

I notice another artist has been added to the music section of the GB site - Kathryn Williams.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Originally posted by cqg:
Snoring from the next tent, though -- that ought to be kept in mind (from a Chief Offender).

Indeed. I had deepest sympathy with Atlanta who had to share a tent with Quizmaster and was in the next door tent to you!

Auntie Doris x

It wasn't just the tent next door that could hear it though, it was the whole field.

And who's talking about druken slurs. Surely it being a Christian festival that kind of thing doesn't happen?

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
I notice another artist has been added to the music section of the GB site - Kathryn Williams.

Ooh, she's ace! We saw her at Celtic Connections earier this year, she was supporting another act but was much better than them, I thought. And I loved her between-song banter (eg: she was asking for the lighting guy to turn down the spotlight because "I feel like I'm being abducted"). Really beautiful voice.

I'm not too bothered by snoring from nearby tents - as long as I'm warm I can sleep pretty well. But that's the thing - if there isn't any cloud cover overnight it can get *really* cold, so don't forget your bedsocks/thermals/layers.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
if there isn't any cloud cover overnight it can get *really* cold, so don't forget your bedsocks/thermals/layers.

My tent always looks like a bedoin (sp?) tent as I have loads of blankets. I can't bear being chilly when I am trying to go to sleep!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Besides, people at GB don't stay up all night having raucous drunken parties, do they? There are far better things to do having forked out all that dosh to go. Not to mention it's hard enough to be up and awake for the 9am worship sessions without staying up past midnight. Or, have I spent half my life going to GB and totally missed the point of the festival?

The point of the festival for you isn't necessarily the same as the point of the festival for me or any of the other thousands of people who go. Likewise, I'm sure that the precise definition of "far better things to do" varies wildly from person to person, and some would consider letting their hair down and having a few bottles of wine with friends they only see once a year to be one of the best bits of the weekend.

Paul W

Just to point out -- staying up till 7am drinking doesn't necessarily preclude you from being up and about for morning activities, eg. commuion.

But then me being a southern girl & outsurviving a night of drinking against a northern guy - this isn't gonna get forgotten - eh Paul [Razz]

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like you had anywhere near as much as I did.

Anyway, I'm old, I can't expect to keep up with you whippersnappers. [Razz]

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hey, I wan't counting units - all I know is I was up for 10am communion rther than at 2pm [Smile]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyway, I'm old, I can't expect to keep up with you whippersnappers. [Razz]

I'm a lot older than you...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't last much beyond about 2am, although I do start drinking earlier than some of you [Razz]
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Im rarely up *really* late these days (wight meeters may have noticed my lack of night-owl-ness!) however, for me, I *do* think Greeneblt is as much about catching up with people, enjoying discussions and being with other Gbers as it is about going to seminars etc. I will often miss a seminar in order to continue drinking tea with someone and chatting [Smile]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to brave the tent thing again this year.

After some consideration I now think its the best thing to do. I was thinking and looknig into staying off site, however have come to the conclusion that it would be more hassle if I needed to go and rest to find my friend, get back to the place, rest, and not ruin her weekend by having to drive me.
Also I tend to suffer from the "if i need to rest, i need to rest now" kind of thing, so I think it would be better to have somewhere I can go and crash close by.

So, all in all, I am looking forwards to the weeken, cant believe how quickly it has come round, and cant wait to catch up with everyone and drink lots of wine [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you camp with us or your yoof lot?

--------------------

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i dont go to greenbelt with youth at all.
hurrah.

but i do have friends from here that go who I shall probably be camping with, however will see, and am sure I shall be able to bring round some wine at some point [Smile]

edited to add: our group has youth in it, ie my friends neices etc, but I take GB as my one weekend away without having to do anything almost work related

[ 19. April 2007, 19:58: Message edited by: Lookin ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Atlanta has washed the pods.

The tent is now ready for Greenbelt.

Tickets were ordered early for the first time (we normally pay on the gate) and so we have an extra £30 to spend on .......... ice cream and beer.

Looking forward to meeting some old friends and introducing some new ones to the pleasures of the Greenbelt experience.

Billy Bragg on Friday night.

Has Martyn got his slot yet?

[ 21. April 2007, 21:55: Message edited by: Quizmaster ]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

More acts added to the music lineup. Two that I've been wanting to see for a while: Sarah Masen and Over the Rhine. Marvellous [Big Grin]

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Over the Rhine.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Yipee] and indeed [Cool]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool!

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A moment in Time:

We sat in the sunshine enjoying yet another gap in the music as the previous band had completed their set. The announcer mentioned a new band that had not been scheduled would make an appearance and we should give them a fantastic welcome as they were young and very nervous.

Youths from across the sea of bodies rose, moving quickly towards the stage and others followed as an air of expectation took the assembled throng by the throat. The pack at the stage grew and soon everyone was standing just so they could see the stage.

The next few minutes will live with me forever as the greatest noise I had ever heard accompanied by some meaningful lyrics, sung with true passion by a remarkable singer and played with a rhythm much closer to the feelings of life than Status Quo, left me a lifelong fan of the group that would go on to be one of the best supported bands in the world.

It will never be the same. It can never be the same. I grew up.

A callow youth will remember 1981 and U2 forever, nomatter how old and decrepit he becomes.

I hope you get your moment in time this year.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
brilliant sentiment, qm.

To the moments past and to come ...

(raises virtual glass).

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Atlanta has washed the pods.
Has Martyn got his slot yet?

The other year at Greenbelt all you had to do to hear Martyn Joseph was sit reasonably still in or near any room in which any late-night event was going on. Sooner or later he'd dash in, play a song, and dash off somewhere else again. If you moved about you might miss him by being where he wasn't - sitting still was the best option.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question is, if there is another pub quiz, do you think that the ship will enter, and will we get through to the final again? (That was a good moment from a couple of years ago)

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of weeks ago I was at the chiropracter and he introduced me to his previous patient who was just leaving. He is one of the organisers of GB and he told me that they were amazed that so many people turned up for the pub quiz. He also said the same thing about Beer and Hymns... but he reassured me that this will definitely be happening again this year [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
The question is, if there is another pub quiz, do you think that the ship will enter, and will we get through to the final again? (That was a good moment from a couple of years ago)

If there is another pub quiz, my aim will be to get to it this time! (The same goes for Beer and Hymns...)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deliriou5? Have just been added to the website for Monday mainstage.

As have a whole bunch of other interesting sounding people who I've not heard of. But looks promising.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
Deliriou5? Have just been added to the website for Monday mainstage.

oooooooo how fabulous!!!! I saw them play at the Royal Albert Hall last year and they were amazing!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for hearing delerious play again. Its over 10 years since I was really "into" them though (nostalga moment - when they used to be cutting edge and our youth group went to the worship events they played at). It was very very strange being in a worship thing a couple of yeras ago at GB and realising that the kids around me probably were only toddlers when the "old" Delerious/Matt Redman songs we were singing were written....
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

cool, the last time i saw Delirious was at another festival at the same time as Greenbelt, at which I used to do youth work for.

The grand stand seating collapsed and the weekend became an eventful one to say the least. Scary.

That was my last year @ that festival, and then I decided to go to Greenbelt, never to return to the other one.

My third year at GB this year, and I cant wait. The last two years I have left it really late, got tickets last minute, ummed and ahhed and only really decided last minute to actually go. This year I have had my ticket booked since the last GB, how bad is that, hehe!

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Its over 10 years since I was really "into" them though (nostalga moment - when they used to be cutting edge and our youth group went to the worship events they played at).

The chances are that we were at the same events then Emma... birdie and I heard them play quite a lot in Southampton... it was probably about 12 years ago I guess.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall be there, though I shall be camping with a load of guys from church rather than youse all.

See ya round the racecourse [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Its over 10 years since I was really "into" them though (nostalga moment - when they used to be cutting edge and our youth group went to the worship events they played at).

The chances are that we were at the same events then Emma... birdie and I heard them play quite a lot in Southampton... it was probably about 12 years ago I guess.

Auntie Doris x

Oooh quite probably. I remember they used to be every other week in Southampton and then they dropped back to once a month - which devastated me at the time as it was "church" to me and our youth group was all hooked on it!!

Its bizarre I can still recall the emotion in "worship" I used to have then but the cynical growd-up me wonders how much it was to do with being a teenager......great memories though [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My decision whether to go to GB was today made for me, when a wedding invitation for Aug 25th dropped through my letterbox! See you all in 2008, perhaps.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

We **thought** about getting married at greenbelt... but decided to get married the week after instead [Biased]

Can't believe you'd rather go to the wedding than greenbelt!! [Biased]

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Can't believe you'd rather go to the wedding than greenbelt!! [Biased]

Me neither. I was invited to a wedding that weekend and I told them I was otherwise engaged! (actually the girl in question knew it was GB and said if she had a choice she would be there too as the wedding was becoming way too much hassle!!!)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We **thought** about getting married at greenbelt...

Oh getting married at Greenbelt would have been cool. Though I guess possibly a challenge for non GB friends and rellies - extra cost of festival ticket and all that.

You should have arranged it so you got married before, went to GB for part of the honeymoon and had a marriage blessing ceremony there. There's a few hundred clergy kicking around after all. (Can you do a marriage blessing before the marriage???!)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heydrich

Pathetic loser
# 12660

- Posted      Profile for Heydrich   Email Heydrich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone new to the Ship, I'm hoping to meet some people from SOF at Greenbelt.
Posts: 79 | From: Macclesfield | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Heydrich. There's usually a meet on the Friday evening on the steps of the Winged Ox (pub in the grandstand), and thereafter lots of bumping into random people and less organised meet-ups (Tiny Tea Tent and Organic Beer Tent being the two most obvious venues). It will be good if you can come along [Smile]

I'm really looking forward to Greenbelt. After nearly 4 months abroad in boiling hot sunshine (and another month abroad once GB is over) a few days in a chilly field will be ace! [Big Grin]

It won't be ace if the field is wet as well as chilly, but who knows, maybe I'll get to wear my wellies this time. I bought them for my first GB in 2003 and have never needed to wear them yet.

[It's much more welcoming to spell the name correctly [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 24. May 2007, 13:55: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
quote:
We **thought** about getting married at greenbelt...

Oh getting married at Greenbelt would have been cool. Though I guess possibly a challenge for non GB friends and rellies - extra cost of festival ticket and all that.

You should have arranged it so you got married before, went to GB for part of the honeymoon and had a marriage blessing ceremony there. There's a few hundred clergy kicking around after all. (Can you do a marriage blessing before the marriage???!)

You're right it was the thought of rellies and non Gb friends that put us off in the end. Also what happens if something *else* you want to go to is scheduled the same time as the wedding [Biased] As it happens our vicar would have ben there and it would have been sraightforward.

I hadnt thought of geting married *before* and then going to GB for a blessing. That would have been fantastic. Small wedding here with family and then large blessing at Gb with all my strange internet friends.....

Im not sure about a blessing *before* (Although that would be fun) I think we should have some GB celebration/party/escuse for something at somepoint [Big Grin]

Heydrich

Pathetic loser
# 12660

- Posted      Profile for Heydrich   Email Heydrich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be good to meet up at the Tiny Tea Tent or the Winged Ox.

I've applied to be an assistant area manager at Greenbelt but I dobn't know yet what area that will be at or what times; it might even include the Tiny Tea Tent.

Posts: 79 | From: Macclesfield | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I shall be there, though I shall be camping with a load of guys from church rather than youse all.

Do we smell??? [Paranoid]

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure a few years back there was a wedding, or blessing at least, at greenbelt. I remember seeing them walk through the winner's enclosure and up to the main stage. can't remember who it was, though.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think we should have some GB celebration/party/escuse for something at somepoint [Big Grin]

Indeed.

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
I'm sure a few years back there was a wedding, or blessing at least, at greenbelt. I remember seeing them walk through the winner's enclosure and up to the main stage. can't remember who it was, though.

Was it a couple of stewards? At my first GB in 2003 I was a venue steward and my team manager had met his wife when they were both stewarding at GB - they got married there 2 or 3 years earlier IIRC. They both still steward every year, though I think she doesn't do as much as they have a little one to run round after.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pānts:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Do we smell??? [Paranoid]
Only on Monday...

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Look's like Peterson Toscano is back this year with his show 'The Re-education of George W Bush'.

Well worth seeing!!

Auntie Doris x

[ 26. May 2007, 08:45: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so looking forward to Greenbelt. Going with the remnant of the Youth Group I used to lead, which includes fellow ex leaders and their little ones. Last year, we also took a canoe, which was probably the single most useful bit of kit we have ever brought.
G

[ 28. May 2007, 23:58: Message edited by: Tumphouse ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Erm... why?!

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pānts:
Erm... why?!

Why was the canoe the most useful bit of kit ever?
First, it kept the children, from 18 months old to 12 or so, incredibly happy with all sorts of games, fantasy and a chill pit during down time on the camp site.The teens used it in the evenings too. Second, we are a biggish group and in the past, have had people trying to, (and in one case actually managing to, for a short time)pitch their tent in the middle of our group. Third, it led to all sorts of chat with other groups who wanted to know WHY we had a huge canoe at Greenbelt. We have asked the owners, who were off canoeing after GB last year, to PLEASE join us again this year, and bring the canoe too.
G

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

oh dear, was it you then that myself and friend plonked in the middle of the year before last?
you mention for a short time, so maybe not, because when we realised we were camping right in the middle of a circled group as we started to detent , they came and helped us and were very nice adn welcoming.
And so it came to fruition that we"joined" their group for the weekend, made friends with a whole new bunch of people, some of who we are still in touch with today, and got fed by them too, bonus!

eta, they came to help in the way of saying, you dont have to move!

[ 29. May 2007, 12:49: Message edited by: Lookin ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tumphouse:
we are a biggish group and in the past, have had people trying to, (and in one case actually managing to, for a short time)pitch their tent in the middle of our group.

If you're setting up in a popular area (eg: nearer the site) then it's not exactly recommended that you leave a large open area in the middle of your tents - if you want a large area for your exclusive use start by going further from the action. Not that I'm saying you were hogging prime real estate, but over the years I've seen it tried on numerous occasions. Most of the time you don't need a large area within a ring of tents anyway because most of the members of any group at any time will be somewhere else.

Putting a large canoe in the space to keep it seems somewhat counter-productive though. If you need the space so people can sit around and have a sociable cuppa together then the canoe would surely get in the way [Confused] One or more reasonable sized ground sheets pegged out would seem to be far more practical.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016